6.1

1. Jan 19, 2022
    This game is amazing, the characters are super interesting, it makes great usage of the puzzles and paint mechanics, and the bosses are EXTREMELY fun. I didn't cry while playing this game but the story is super interesting and none of the characters feel 2-dimensional. This game is basically a giant coloring book where you can just sit back and relax. I highly recommend this game if youThis game is amazing, the characters are super interesting, it makes great usage of the puzzles and paint mechanics, and the bosses are EXTREMELY fun. I didn't cry while playing this game but the story is super interesting and none of the characters feel 2-dimensional. This game is basically a giant coloring book where you can just sit back and relax. I highly recommend this game if you have played Wandersong, that is made by the same people who made this game! Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2021
    Quite probably, my favorite game of all I've played this year. An utterly charming mixture of different influences (Link's Awakening, painting games like deBlob, ...) that somehow manages to find its own unique voice.
    It's a bigger and longer game than it may look at first sight, with quite a few optional side quest and collectibles thrown in for good measure. The painting mechanic gives the player lots of freedom, allowing you to paint as much or as little as you wish in whatever way that strikes your fancy, echoing neatly the themes about self-expression found in the story. The Switch version also allows for optional touch screen and motion controls, making it probably the ideal way to enjoy this game.
    Also, great to play local co-op with a kid.
    This is my first ever review on this site, but I simply had to share my love for this beauty. If you feel like playing a game with more than a little influence of 2D Zeldas (with the puzzles and exploration but without the combat) and/or enjoy games about bringing color back to the world, give this little gem a try.
  3. Jan 17, 2022
    An excellent game with great characters and a good plot. Not for everyone, but successfully pulls off what it's going for without falling into being saccharine. I enjoyed it far more than I expected to, especially after the first few hours.
  4. Dec 23, 2021
    I watched and read several reviews on this game. Heck, polygon said it was their #2 game of 2021. So, I made the purchase thinking at least my daughter, who is really into coloring, would enjoy it. I watched her play for ten painful minutes. At first you anticipate it will be interesting but then it quickly becomes dull and tedious. The painting mechanic is a chore and it just feels likeI watched and read several reviews on this game. Heck, polygon said it was their #2 game of 2021. So, I made the purchase thinking at least my daughter, who is really into coloring, would enjoy it. I watched her play for ten painful minutes. At first you anticipate it will be interesting but then it quickly becomes dull and tedious. The painting mechanic is a chore and it just feels like work. I tried playing it alone. I have played countless games since 1985 and this one is not worth your purchase unless you enjoy tedium and a basic cliche story. I regretted this purchase so much that I made an account here to place this review. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 6 Critic Reviews

Chicory: A Colorful Tale is an incredibly enjoyable and wholesome experience. Its characters are so charming and endearing; its graphical style and world design encourages creativity and wants you to color the world back in. The soundtrack is stellar and completes the package on display here. It's a game that can be enjoyed for all ages and if you decide to pursue all the sidequests, complete the decorating minigames, and find all of the collectibles, you can certainly spend a lot of time in the world of Chicory. My only gripe is a personal one—that I didn’t play this game last year—because without a doubt it makes for a wonderful late addition to the best of what 2021 had to offer. I cannot wait to see what Greg, Lena, Em, Alexis and Madeline will make next, because Chicory can’t be described as anything other than a piece of modern art.
  2. Jan 14, 2022
    The gameplay mechanics, which benefit immensely from touch controls on the Nintendo Switch screen, will grab the players right away and those with creative skills will feel even more stimulated by how the game advances. A real gem of a game that contributes to enrich the Nintendo Switch catalogue beautifully.
  3. Jan 11, 2022
    Chicory: A Colorful Tale, while not perfect on Switch, is still a great game you need to play. The new controls schemes have their issues, but they also have their moments to shine.