8.3

1. Nov 20, 2019
    Nice pixelated graphics, if you love the messenger, dead cell & hyperlight drifter then by all means buy this game. Great on switch. Won't regret your purchase.
  2. Nov 22, 2019
    Low framerate, regular crashes. I'm tired of those "indie ports" that come out half baked on Switch and never get patched.
  3. Oct 20, 2020
    Best indie I've played in a while. Great gameplay and beautiful art. Hope they make a sequel
  4. Jun 27, 2020
    As the narrator of Children of Morta would say: "A couple of runs was all it took, to spark my love for this game. But the human heart is finicky, and the honeymoon didn't last. Midway through the journey, what was once love had turned sour, regret taking its place. Then, as the end approached, that regret too gave way to serene acceptance."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Children of

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Children of Morta is a hard game to review, because it swings wildly between high and low points. The story is good: an epic fable that's laser-focused on the theme of family bonds, narrated in voiceover by a strong actor. Yeah, it's a bit overwritten, but it tackles ponderous subjects such as grief and the responsibilities of parenthood. So there is that.

In the “good but…” department, you can file the "hi-pixel" graphics. They're hit-and-miss, but when they's good, they're really good, with beautiful vistas and intricate detail. The main gameplay loop is also OK, if unoriginal: Children of Morta is another take on the fashionable roguelike template, with the addition of multiple characters with separate (but somewhat interacting) skill trees. It's addictive, no question about that.

All of the above would make Children of Morta a must-play, if it were not for its glaring downsides. The game's implementation is glitchy, especially in the graphics department. The frame rate can drop to single digits in some extreme cases. More importantly, the game isn't very well designed in general. Difficulty is all over the place, and it feels like the designers had more ideas than they could balance and tune.

Here is a concrete example of that half-done design job: for a few levels, I did what the game seemed to ask me: I switched from one character to another. The game even has a few mechanics that encourage you to do that. At some point, however, I realized that it's more productive to ignore those mechanics and play with one or two overpowered characters all the time. Some characters are so much more powerful than the others, that mechanics be damned, you don't want to play a loser.

Another example: for a while, I tackled combat and exploration in a slow and methodical way. Then I understood that I was wasting my time. The game becomes much easier if you just rush from one treasure chamber to the next, assembling a tail of hapless pursuing enemies. Treasures chambers are mostly safe, and you can shoot through their doors, while the enemies can't–so they become sitting ducks ready for you to kill and farm some XP. You can cheese your way through most of the game like that, and that also makes all the enemies feel exactly the same as one another. This kind of glaring gameplay issue should have been caught immediately during beta testing.

Still another example of shaky design: the mini-games that litter the dungeons feel like the designer was asked to come up with ideas in a few minutes. One is a very out-of-place game of pong. Another one requires you to step over four buttons in order–but you can only find the right order through trial and error. One wrong try, and you have to wipe out a room full of enemies before you try again. Do a little math, and you'll see that even if you never forget the sequence, you might have to clean up that room a maximum of 24 times if you're unlucky. I had to do it 12 times once, and then I stopped caring about this kind of room when I encountered it. This pointless "challenge" should never have been included in the game.

I could talk more about a few bullet sponge bosses, unbalanced recovery times, and the like–but you got the idea: Children of Morta has great potential, but it should have gone through a few more passes of design review. As it is, this game is an incomplete curio. It's still worth playing, and at times it feels uniquely its own–but at the same time, it feels like a missed opportunity for a minor classic.
  5. Nov 26, 2019
    Excellent story,awesome pixel graphics! The game runs decent on the Switch.(it stuttered at a few points,but nothing crippling). Each member of the Bergsons has their pros/cons. I would recommend this to anyone liking rogue-lite games. You progress just long enough to get a few unlocks, not making it feel like a huge grind. The overall sound adds just the right amount of atmosphere. highlyExcellent story,awesome pixel graphics! The game runs decent on the Switch.(it stuttered at a few points,but nothing crippling). Each member of the Bergsons has their pros/cons. I would recommend this to anyone liking rogue-lite games. You progress just long enough to get a few unlocks, not making it feel like a huge grind. The overall sound adds just the right amount of atmosphere. highly recommended for any who like hack-n-slash as well! Expand
  6. Dec 22, 2019
    I love this game, extremely rewarding gameplay loops and quick action. Minus points for long load times and random audio glitches crashes, but from what I've read those problems exist on other platforms. Glad I bought it on the Switch instead of PS4, it's nice to be able to jump into a game quickly and it looks great in portable mode
  7. Jan 14, 2020
    One of the most stunning looking pix-elated games i have ever played.

The story line is great and written to perfection . The random instances in dungeons where you meet travelers add to the exploration of dungeons. But at the end it all feels repetitive . You are forced to play with every character, for me this is a now go. I generally tend to stay with one char, this is not a
    One of the most stunning looking pix-elated games i have ever played.

But at the end it all feels repetitive .

You are forced to play with every character, for me this is a now go. I generally tend to stay with one char, this is not a game breaker though.

The fighting is fun and intense.
    Currently it has a bug on the switch when a lot of enemies is on the screen the sound will start lagging and after the level is complete the game will crash, loosing all progress.

Fun Game, stunning pixels but repetitive.
  8. Nov 30, 2019
    Game of great story with amazing graphics but dull and boring gameplay mechanics.

When I first heard about this game, I was so excited! Diablo and Enter the Gungeon combined. But reality was very different and disappointing. Its dull, very dull. Let me explain: In the first meters of the game you notice beautiful graphics and thoughtful storytelling, and it really grabs you. But

In the first meters of the game you notice beautiful graphics and thoughtful storytelling, and it really grabs you. But crawling few runs in the dungeon, you start to realize that there is no anykind of drops to give you new guns, magic, or interesting items. There are shrines and passive items in each run, but mostly they just buff you. There is no actual variety that would alter your gameplay in each run. And this is the salt and pepper in roguelike games, its the main essence to keep you going for hundreds of runs. Imagine Enter the Gungeon; zillions of different weapons and items each run. Imagine Dead Cells; same thing. Imagine Binding of Isaac. Now imagine doing runs after runs without any of these. No new guns. No spells. No special items. Just few buffs; some speed, some defence, etc. There is few moves to unlock in skill trees but they are very limited (1-3 for each protagonist) and rest upgrades in skill trees are just passive buffs.

Story is immersive and animation is done so well, that you could feel the connetion to protagonist family. For this (and beautiful graphics) I must give big plus for developers.

I feel like they haven't done enough playtesting to realize how boring this game is. Its a pity, because it would easily have potential to be the next supesuccessfull roguelite game
  9. Dec 2, 2019
    TL;DR: Beautiful art style, fun rogue-lite elements alongside meaningful progression. At its core, Children of Morta is a game about family. This is felt across every aspect of the game: the story itself is driven by the exploits of the Bergson family and their fight against the Corruption threatening their home. Abilities unlocked on one family member can have a meaningful impact onTL;DR: Beautiful art style, fun rogue-lite elements alongside meaningful progression. At its core, Children of Morta is a game about family. This is felt across every aspect of the game: the story itself is driven by the exploits of the Bergson family and their fight against the Corruption threatening their home. Abilities unlocked on one family member can have a meaningful impact on gameplay for everyone else. Upgrades purchased affect each family member, meaning that even your least-played or newest-unlocked family member has the potential to reach wide use. In terms of structure, the game takes place across multiple, randomized dungeons. Each dungeon is randomized with a static boss at the end. In between each completed dungeon run you’ll have bits of dialogue where new family members can become available for play. 8/10 because the amount of replay ability is a bit low. Despite this, what’s here is phenomenal, and giving it support at this stage might lead to even more bang for your buck later on. Expand
  10. Jun 2, 2020
    Fantastic game! Very smooth combat and great pixel art. Played with my wife and she really enjoyed it as well which can be tough to find at times.
  11. Jul 31, 2020
    Great game however it really drops framerate, and us quite buggy. Game breaking glitch doesn't allow me to fight final boss after recent update :*(
  12. Aug 8, 2020
    11 bit does it again! Do you like diablo? If yes then this game is for you. The graphics look beautiful. The story is interesting and the music/voice acting is great. A game I find very easy to sink time into. Plus I found a physical copy for only $15!!!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 24, 2020
    Children of Morta demonstrates how to do a roguelike well: frequent upgrades smooth the difficulty curve, an engaging story keeps things fresh, and there’s plenty of depth in combat. It’s difficult and sometimes repetitive, but looks and feels the part.
  2. Dec 12, 2019
    Children of Morta is a gem of a roguelike that often behaves like an action RPG and with its exquisite art style, simple but fun combat system and enormous variety of customization and character experimentation, it makes for a marvelous game that gets its job done in a very satisfying way. On top of that, it even features a wonderful co-op component.
    Since it’s polished in almost every regard with its gameplay and presentation, it’s possible Children of Morta would’ve benefited from a more focused design direction rather than a rogue-lite dungeon-crawling experience. Nevertheless, in a sea of games for the rogue-lite genre, it’s refreshing to see developers do something unique and tell a meaningful story. The emotional heights that the game reaches goes farther than many narrative-focused games. If you’re looking for a story-driven ARPG, then Children of Morta needs to be at the top of your list.