2.1

1. Mar 20, 2022
    This is a pure exploitated cash grab. This is a full priced game that plays like a free to play cell phone game. The monetization is among the most aggressive I've seen. Do not buy this game. You will regret it.
  2. Mar 23, 2022
    Expensive AAA gameand still full of microtransaction.
    This cannot be tolerated, this game is garbage and will be flopped like other square titles that are following this path from the bottom of the well.
    It doesn't matter if the game is good, just the fact that they did that ended the game.
  3. Mar 21, 2022
    I was excited for this release, as an avid Mario Kart & Final Fantasy fan. I can't say the game is worth it. The game feels like a really cheap, unbalanced mess with an onslaught of crappy free-to-play mobile mechanics (in an already full priced Nintendo switch game...). Drifting kind of sucks and doesn't feel very responsive, even if you hit a wall whilst drifting you just continue atI was excited for this release, as an avid Mario Kart & Final Fantasy fan. I can't say the game is worth it. The game feels like a really cheap, unbalanced mess with an onslaught of crappy free-to-play mobile mechanics (in an already full priced Nintendo switch game...). Drifting kind of sucks and doesn't feel very responsive, even if you hit a wall whilst drifting you just continue at full speed like in Mario Kart Tour. On top of that though, some of the turns are just ridiculous in that you can fall off the map with seemingly no way to avoid at times, making for a really inconsistent stop-starty feeling to some of the races.

The dialogue in the campaign is truly awful and is seemingly aimed at small children... Why even have a campaign? Just give us the characters and let us play?

Maybe try the free version to get your own verdict but I really wouldn't say the game is worth it right now.
  4. Mar 20, 2022
    This game is not good. Racing feeling is really bad, speed and control have problem and why must add money to buy character? this not a free mobile game
    None of that is fun for me.
  5. Mar 22, 2022
    I was excited for this release, as an chocobo racing fan on PS1. However, this game has very bad design that is extremely greedy to want to suck all your money (and time) while give you a mobile-phone-quality-like trash game. I'll say: This game is complete trash. no dout.
  6. Mar 28, 2022
    This game is one of the most predatory and insulting things square has put out lately, and that's saying something. They may as well have a tutorial in game on how to use your mother's credit card for the kids they're targeting.
  7. Mar 25, 2022
    This is a Freemium mobile game put on a home console, and charging DAMN NEAR FULL RETAIL. Square enix needs to stop trying to jam greedy, live service trends into their games. JUST MAKE GOOD GAMES
  8. Mar 29, 2022
    This game is absolutely awful. If you liked all the annoying, unfair mechanics that Mariokart has; but none of the polish and entertainment, then this is totally the game for you. The fact that it uses micotransactions pretty aggregiously doesn't help. Bad show Square-enix. Bad show.
  9. Mar 25, 2022
    Vou dar zero, por que é um jogo de custo cheio e ainda tem as merdas de microtransação. é ridiculo custar tão caro e ainda ter loja no jogo
  10. Mar 24, 2022
    Low budget micro transaction cash grab. After paying full price for the game, some character are only unlockable by paying the online race of 64 players for a stupid amount of time, if you own a battles pass that is, which you have to pay for... It's an exploitation. As someone who loves final fantasy and chocobos, I was incredibly disappointed. Square Enix has rubbed me the wrong way on this one
  11. Mar 24, 2022
    I will not give a cash grab any points at all. I don't care what it is. I have a completionist personality so I will not even touch this game. I hope any of you who do have a strong will and can accept most of the game is locked behind wasting time or just straight paying for another game without actually getting on.
  12. Mar 25, 2022
    Gameplay is overall OK, if potentially unbalanced in characters and weapon selections. However, overall content is designed in a way to exploit player to spend on unlock content that is normally free with a 50 dollar game - and beyond character selection choices, the rest of the content not behind this paywall feels fairly limited for the cost of this title. If you don't already have aGameplay is overall OK, if potentially unbalanced in characters and weapon selections. However, overall content is designed in a way to exploit player to spend on unlock content that is normally free with a 50 dollar game - and beyond character selection choices, the rest of the content not behind this paywall feels fairly limited for the cost of this title. If you don't already have a kart racing title, buy Mario Kart instead. Try this game prior to buying and make sure you are ready to grind out the game for a lot of hours + spend money to unlock the additional content. Even if you decided to buy this and hope for more content, be aware as overall, I don't see this game have a long life as a live service game given the cost, amount of grind, and low count of overall simplistic courses.

Game would probably be a 6 out of 10 from me if they provided they paid content as free unlocks through normal gameplay and had double the amount of courses. As-is, I wish I could get a refund.
  13. Mar 27, 2022
    The tutorial in story mode is freaking annoying, i can't even play and always failed, because the game paused everytime the instruction pop up on screen.
  14. Mar 30, 2022
    As many others have said, this is a full price game and is just riddled with micro-transactions. After just a few days of racing, I lost interest in it very quickly. The fact that you unlock store options by doing story mode instead of unlocking the items itself for the more part, is just really horrible game play. SE needs to do better.
  15. Apr 14, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CASH GRAB
    GASH GRAB
    SQUARE ENIX GREEDY
    CASH GRAB
    CASH GRAB
    WHY DOES SQUARE ENIX NOT PUT THIS GAME ON MOBILE DEVICES WHERE GARBAGE LIKE THIS BELONG BECAUSE THE KNOW NINTENDO WILL NOT JUST SAY NO.

ok
  16. Apr 22, 2022
    Sadly, this game falls into that lovely little category of games that has no passion. Attempting to pull off what Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing do seemingly so effortlessly is much more difficult than it may seem, and Chocobo GP combines disappointingly tedious gameplay with microtransactions in a premium game. This game is a failure in every regard.
  17. Apr 2, 2022
    Designed like a freemium mobile game ported to Switch last minute and sold for $50.

6.8 GB file size. For comparison, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 6.7 GB. Cash currency (mythril) can be obtained through Nintendo's eShop, as a weekly login reward or as maintenance compensation. Mythril expires if you don't use it within 5 months. In-game currency (gil) can be obtained by completing daily

6.8 GB file size. For comparison, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 6.7 GB.

Cash currency (mythril) can be obtained through Nintendo's eShop, as a weekly login reward or as maintenance compensation. Mythril expires if you don't use it within 5 months. In-game currency (gil) can be obtained by completing daily and weekly challenges, or as level up rewards from prize passes. The game heavily incentivizes you to spend money on it by making things take weeks or months to obtain otherwise.

The tutorial does not teach all core gameplay mechanics, instead it teaches you the basics and leaves the rest to random loading screen tips.

Most tracks take 60-90 seconds to finish. Item effects are similar to Mario Kart, though you can hold up to 3 at a time and similar items are combined for an increased effect. Some character abilities are highly unbalanced. Getting hit by items and abilities is overly punishing. Drifting and boosting feel awkward and unrewarding.

Story mode can be completed in 20-60 minutes depending on whether you skip cutscenes or watch them. Unlocks 12 characters, 8 courses and Extra mode. Also adds 8 characters to the ticket shop. Tickets are earned by completing story chapters, missions, collecting crystals and racing. Extra mode is the same as Story mode. Unlocks 1 character and adds 2 rides for each character to the ticket shop.

The AI behaves suspiciously at times. Sometimes the character behind me will zoom past then immediately slow to match my speed. Sometimes characters will drift through tight corners without losing speed.

There are several bugs and user experience issues. The tutorial fails you for releasing the accelerate button. The pause menu does not have a restart race option. Menu transitions and animations are slow. The story's epilogue video loops before fading out. Development was likely rushed and things definitely weren't optimized.

tl;dr: My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
  18. Apr 7, 2022
    Malisimo, nada recomendado, perdí valiosos minutos esperando a que descargue para terminar decepcionado
  19. Mar 13, 2022
    freemium generic mobile garbage disguised as full-priced console game. this is sinful and an insult
  20. Mar 13, 2022
    The menu music alone is worthy of the zero, good lord.
    Then there is the absolutely ATTROCIOUS monetization.
    Then there is the uncomfortable control scheme. THEN there is how poorly balanced some of the items feel. All in all, it feels like a closely finished product that just needed a bit more polish, but then was forced out the door with as many cash grabs as possible crammed in.
    The menu music alone is worthy of the zero, good lord.
    Then there is the absolutely ATTROCIOUS monetization.
    Then there is the uncomfortable control scheme.
    THEN there is how poorly balanced some of the items feel.

Why Square? Why?
  21. Mar 15, 2022
    Nothing original. Mario Kart wannabe. Just bad. Not fun at all. Mobile game.
  22. Mar 13, 2022
    here we go again. fresh off the disappointment that was babylons fall, a new challenger appears. square is trying to get into the f2p market but they are missing something important. you don’t charge a retail price up front on an f2p GaaS. as for the game itself, it seems like it would be fun. i played the demo a bit trying to convince myself that it’s ok, i’ll get over it i guess. but thehere we go again. fresh off the disappointment that was babylons fall, a new challenger appears. square is trying to get into the f2p market but they are missing something important. you don’t charge a retail price up front on an f2p GaaS. as for the game itself, it seems like it would be fun. i played the demo a bit trying to convince myself that it’s ok, i’ll get over it i guess. but the more i thought about it, the less appealing the game was. if this were not a $50 mobile game, i’d play it. and if it were a $50 real game, i’d gladly play it and love it. back to mario kart for me. stop doing this square. no one wants this **** Expand
  23. Mar 15, 2022
    I spent more time downloading it than playing it before unstalling it. Feels like a freemium bad mobile game. And even without thar, is not even a decent kart game.
  24. Mar 13, 2022
    There's no way this game should cost the full $50 price tag, have parasitic and predatory micro transactions, a battle-pass, and time expiring "free" currency. This is just the worst monetization model I've ever seen. I love Square Enix, and this game had so much potential. But when you're competing with a game as polished and well monetized as Mario Kart, you have to do better. Much better.
  25. Mar 13, 2022
    Unfortunately any fun you could have with this is so buried beneath the aggressive monetization that you'll just end up with complete apathy towards all of it, and the $50 price tag coupled with egregious micro-transactions only emphasize that feeling.

If you do end up investing into it, be prepared to play every day. Because- as you'd expect- no **** cash-grab of a game would be complete if it didn't barrage you with an endless slew of daily chores to suffer through.

Also, that AWFUL menu music. MAKE IT STOP.
  26. Mar 15, 2022
    Greedy!
    I won't pay for any game which running like a garbage mobile game.
  27. Mar 19, 2022
    This game is horrible, no word to describe my anger disappointment. Micro-transactions sucks
  28. Mar 15, 2022
    Predatory freemium monetization practices packed into a $50 game. Developers can't continue to get away with this sort of garbage.
  29. Mar 19, 2022
    Horrible horrible game. Full of microtransaction. You have to play the awful GP mode( online mode) to level up battle pass. Battle pass takes FOREVER level up. I have played a bit since launch, still not lvl 10. and to get Cloud you have to be lvl 60! You can be in the lead the whole race only to get hit by an barrage of items and suddenly be in last place. Maps are boring, only one mapHorrible horrible game. Full of microtransaction. You have to play the awful GP mode( online mode) to level up battle pass. Battle pass takes FOREVER level up. I have played a bit since launch, still not lvl 10. and to get Cloud you have to be lvl 60! You can be in the lead the whole race only to get hit by an barrage of items and suddenly be in last place. Maps are boring, only one map is kind of good. Its clear Square Enix thought only about making a quick buck with this game, it could be good, if not for the horrible battle pass, and better maps. Expand
  30. Mar 17, 2022
    This game is complete trash. The greedy developers are charging $50 for an off-brand Mario Kart game. The graphics are a joke. The gameplay is boring and repetitive. The developers added cute upbeat music and pretty colorful lights everywhere in this game, to give players the illusion that the game is fun. None of that is fun for me. Speaking of music, the music is extremely cringeworthyThis game is complete trash. The greedy developers are charging $50 for an off-brand Mario Kart game. The graphics are a joke. The gameplay is boring and repetitive. The developers added cute upbeat music and pretty colorful lights everywhere in this game, to give players the illusion that the game is fun. None of that is fun for me. Speaking of music, the music is extremely cringeworthy when I win a race. It is overly exaggerated and tries too hard to be upbeat in a pathetic attempt at making players excited when they win. It doesn't make me excited. If anything it made me irritated, to the point where I almost wanted to snap my Switch in half if I heard that victory cringeworthy music again.

The online multiplayer is garbage. The tracks are too short. I literally had one 3-lap race last for only one lousy minute. The game is incredibly unbalanced. The story is beyond horrible. There is no lip syncing in this game. The developers were too cheap and lazy to implement such a basic feature that even PS2 games have. Sometimes the characters don't even open their mouths when they talk. The physics are laughable. I don't recommend this game at all, unless you want to support laziness.
  31. Mar 19, 2022
    Premium bonus item to boost your experience if you waste money on they, absurdly high grind, the lite version is complete garbage without NSO can't believe Square Enix released this game with so much pride with all these things wrong in it.
  32. Mar 18, 2022
    Do I really need to say why? Im disappointed with this game and its company tbh.. Smh
  33. Mar 18, 2022
    Shame on Square-Enix. This game is exploitative trash like most Square-Enix mobile games.

Fire Yosuke Matsuda before he destroys the company.
  34. Mar 16, 2022
    Paid $50 for predatory micro transactions. Stay away from this garbage- it’s a mobile game priced as a full product
  35. Mar 16, 2022
    A full priced game shouldnt have this type of monitization. Its a game designed mostly for all-ages with a art style aimed to appeal for kids. What makes it distrubing that this is morally accepted by its publisher or whoever came up with it. What happend to releasing a FULL campaign mode that you play through and unlocks new skins/items/... along the way. Leave this game on the shelves.
  36. Mar 16, 2022
    Full-price game with **** tons of transactions... We wont allow for such project to be a new game design norms!
  37. Mar 16, 2022
    A solid blueprint for a fun mascot cart racer is horribly squandered in yet another cynical cash grab. Chocobo GP is a full-priced game, yet is still ripe with excess monetization. Between Avengers, Babylon's Fall, Final Fantasy XIV, and now this, Square Enix has fully embraced the horrendous live-service model.
  38. Mar 13, 2022
    Full price game with a pay to play mentality. Put the game down and back away slowly.
  39. Mar 17, 2022
    "The game? 50 bucks please. The season pass? Roughly 10 to 24 bucks, depending on which one you get. Thank you for your purchase!"

Later "Huh? You've run out of consumable XP stickers and the season pass just became an unbearable grind? You say that even though you've been placing first during races, without the added XP boost, you're getting next to nothing in XP? And it's leaving

Later

"Huh? You've run out of consumable XP stickers and the season pass just became an unbearable grind? You say that even though you've been placing first during races, without the added XP boost, you're getting next to nothing in XP? And it's leaving you stuck in your season pass progression? That's terrible! Well, don't worry, because we'll sell you some more stickers, and they only cost a little bit of in-game currency. The cost? Roughly 50 cents each! Huh? Sorry but we only accept payments in mythril. That's our in-game currency. How do you get mythril? By buying it from us using real life money! Huh? Sorry, but 10 dollar increments of mythril is the smallest amount that we carry. If you want your 50 cent sticker, you'll have to buy 10 dollars worth of mythril to pay for it. What's that? You'll just save the rest of the mythril? Well, it expires. Huh? You say there's nothing really that great to spend this on right now? Well, it sucks to be you then. Thank you for your business! Happy racing!!"

I actually bought the "full" version of this game game, and so far THIS has been my experience.
  40. Mar 14, 2022
    Full priced game with MTX. Mobile garbage that no Switch owner should ever buy.
  41. Mar 16, 2022
    A total betrayal of what was actually quite a good racer on the ps1. Monetized to hell, with a really tedious, stingy battle pass. I don't see myself being invested for a season 2 at this point. The Final fantasy brand used to be a bench mark for quality and it's rapidly descended into a **** on the gaming landscape.

Shame on you square enix. Shame on you. Also **** that menu music. It's

Shame on you square enix. Shame on you.

Also **** that menu music. It's an abomination.
  42. Mar 15, 2022
    I pre-ordered digitally this game thinking it would have no micro-transactions. It is fun, but the fact I am feeling like this game I was look forward to racing as Terra in is predatory has fully put me off. I love final fantasy, but in the name of bahamut this hurts. The leveling for the prize pass takes way to long (most of the day for one level) which ultimately pushes people toI pre-ordered digitally this game thinking it would have no micro-transactions. It is fun, but the fact I am feeling like this game I was look forward to racing as Terra in is predatory has fully put me off. I love final fantasy, but in the name of bahamut this hurts. The leveling for the prize pass takes way to long (most of the day for one level) which ultimately pushes people to purchase mythril, and level ups. This doesn't feel predatory...IT IS PREDATORY! I fully wish I could refund this game, and I have never actively wished to do so with other games. My friends already said they aren't going to get this game...I only made it to level 15 for the prize pass, and did complete the story before I archived the software. I had no idea this would have microtransactions, it was not advertised, and I feel deceived. Giving 500 mythril, and lowering exp costs for level ups is not an apology. I want my fifty dollars back. Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2022
    Be Aware! This Game is full of Microtransactions like the Handy Games we all know and hate.
  44. Mar 12, 2022
    I have been waiting for over 20 years for a new version of Chocobo Racing. I still play the original every year with my childhood friend.
    But this Gatcha, MTX, nickle-and-dime hot piece of garbage can go straight to hell.
  45. Mar 11, 2022
    The best part of this game is that there is a free version so I don’t have to buy this crap. The music and art style is amazing and the controls are fine enough but it’s set up like a mobile game with in game currency and miroctransactions. The tracks are extremely boring and short, and it took me forever to figure out how to use Magic and the sad part is I won.
  46. Mar 15, 2022
    A full-priced game should not include season passes and other mobile freemium crap. Stop the grift already!
  47. Mar 11, 2022
    MTX for a full paid game. Avoid this bs. This is predatory and unacceptable. Also, your cash paid ingame Mythril can expire.
  48. Mar 12, 2022
    It's cute- but the positives end there. Do not waste your money paying full price for a game that will ask for constant micro transactions. I don't mind one or two micros, but this is so bad it's got to be a joke.

Everything is locked behind a paywall, even though you just paid $50 for the game. I cannot stress this enough, if you buy this game, you are literally paying for the start screen.
  49. Mar 20, 2022
    Chocobo GP Il videogioco ispirato a Mario Kart con regole di Final Fantasy Il gioco in se non è male è un bel gioco ispirato proprio alle Regole di Mario Kart e compreso offre una bellissima parte online che è molto ben fatta è originale, le piste non sono male ispirate al mondo di Final Fantasy.

Ho notato che si finisce molto in fretta riguardate la storia, anche se è fatta per un pubblico per piccini che si basa sul mondo delle Corse per dimostrare che il pilota più bravo del mondo di gioco e che ha una durata complessiva di tre Ore per finire la storia e può rigiocarla in due modi:
    1) principiante e quella base per dare spazio hai principianti di conoscere le piste.
    2) Professionista è quella che dovete arrivare sempre per primi ma l’intelligenza artificiale è più attiva e si comporta come l’online ma il ritmo è molto veloce.
    Offre anche una modalità extra che permette di sbloccare altri biglietti che consentono di spendere per prendere personaggi nella storia compreso vari SKIN e vetture aggiuntive.
    Compreso c’è la possibilità di giocare in Locale oppure fare delle prove a tempo per conoscere al pieno i tracciati del gioco.
    Parliamo al livello Grafico su Nintendo Switch:
    Al punto di vista dei tracciati sono ben colorati e ispirati al mondo di Final Fantasy troviamo Alexandria, Gould Saucer, La pista dedicata su CID, Chocobo e tanto altro che sono molto ben colorate e fatte molto bene che rendono un’atmosfera viva però purtroppo c’è un rovescio della medaglia su questo ho notato cali di frame rate e certe volte blocco sullo schermo per elevati modelli poligonali o animazioni che interrompono la scena e poi si riprende dopo pochi secondi e speriamo con vari patch saranno risolte, i personaggi vengono da una versione del gioco chiamato Dissidia Opera Ommia e ho riconosciuto i vari modelli da Cid, Steiner, Cloud e Squall e altri personaggi che vengono li con versioni restaurate che su switch con le texture e i veicoli sono molto ben caratterizzati e originali.

Anche la sua colonna sonora non è male è molto ben caratterizzata

Parliamo della Parte Online:

Riguardante come Torneo e il suo funzionamento che potete scontrare in tutto il mondo fino massimo 64 giocatori che possono essere i migliori 8 piloti nella scalata, ed ottima cosa e permette al giocatore di fare molte ore di sfide finche non sia il migliore nel suo percorso e compreso offre molto varietà che cambiano totalmente i giocatori che potete sfidare in tutto il mondo quindi non è region Locked Locale ma potete incontrare Cinesi, Giapponesi, Coreani e tante nazioni.

Il punto criticato sono le micro transazioni:

Se parliamo riguardante sulle micro transazioni che il gioco è diviso in due fasi di rilascio tra il modello FREE TO PLAY (Quello LITE offre solo la PARTE online), e quello Completo che costa 50€ e sblocca la campagna Single Player e quella Locale da fare in due o quattro giocatori.
    Il giocatore non è obbligato ad utilizzare la moneta di gioco riguardante che molte cose può sbloccare benissimo nella campagna single player una mangiata di ore può sbloccare già dei billetta aggiuntivi che permettono di comprare personaggi, skin, e le vetture per la storia per renderlo a 100%, ma riguardante sui Gil e il Mitrhil si accumulano giocando nella parte online facendo le sfide richieste quindi non è obbligatorio spendere, se volete spendere potete fare per sbloccare tutto ma è facoltativo.
  50. Mar 12, 2022
    The actual game is fun enough but man I really wish I'd looked at reviews before purchasing. Who thinks they need to check out to see if a friggin' $50 kart racer is going to have an insane degree of microtransactions included? This is the kind of level you'd expect out of a free to play game like Apex or Fortnite. Booting up the game for the first time to see all the different UI elementsThe actual game is fun enough but man I really wish I'd looked at reviews before purchasing. Who thinks they need to check out to see if a friggin' $50 kart racer is going to have an insane degree of microtransactions included? This is the kind of level you'd expect out of a free to play game like Apex or Fortnite. Booting up the game for the first time to see all the different UI elements that you'd expect in a gacha game really soured the experience for me, and if Nintendo wasn't the absolute worst with refunding digital games I would have already done so. Definitely not worth the purchase until they patch out the f2p elements. Expand
  51. Mar 12, 2022
    This is a mediocre kart racers with awkward controls (you press A to accelerate and Y to do your character's special move? Why? And why use the L and R buttons for items and jumping instead of ZL and ZR? They're more comfortable!) and is bogged down by microtransactions. It plays like a mobile freemium title, but it's a £50 AAA title.
  52. Mar 11, 2022
    On its surface, the free to play "Lite" version appears to just be a free to play version. But the blatant pay to win underlying themes become VERY apparent very early on. Other drivers have better stats, vehicles and better abilities than you off the bat. The 3 starters are pretty underwhelming, and the fact that you can earn any of its 3 currencies by challenges, but not use them unlessOn its surface, the free to play "Lite" version appears to just be a free to play version. But the blatant pay to win underlying themes become VERY apparent very early on. Other drivers have better stats, vehicles and better abilities than you off the bat. The 3 starters are pretty underwhelming, and the fact that you can earn any of its 3 currencies by challenges, but not use them unless you pay $50 USD is insane. In essence, you have to buy something in order to unlock the ability to buy more stuff. You pay them in order to be able to pay them more. $50. Battlepass is 200 tiers as well... this would've been fine if the game was at least fun or rewarding for your time playing. It isn't. Drifting is just worse, jankier mario kart drifting, items can be blatantly unfair and getting knocked by something means an automatic 8th place on its smaller scale, but VERY basically shaped courses.

I do appreciate that courses are significantly smaller than the average kart racer's maps, meaning races are usually done in under 3 minutes instead of 5-8 of others, but they are all very blatant copies of a circle with some bends and dents in it. None of them stand out or are memorable in the slightest.

Dont get me started on the music. Even when home alone, i mute my television because im ashamed to have it blasting. One of the courses soundtracks doesnt even sound like music. it just sounds like incoherent instrument tuning before a middle school band performance.
  53. Mar 12, 2022
    A full priced game for 50$ but has monetization of a free mobile game which is unacceptable
  54. Mar 11, 2022
    beware, paid game, but the game have fully of microtransection, have feeling same play mobile game :(
  55. Mar 19, 2022
    Not even worth the time you'll waste downloading this thrash fire disguised mobile f2p "game".
    It's a blatant disrespect towards longtime fans and anyone interested in this. Never have I been so disappointed in my life.
    After 20 odd years you would imagine they wanted to make a good game that did the original chocobo racing justice but nope, instead we get this greedy ass mtx riddled "game" that costs 50 bucks, mind you! And it's aimed to take advantage of children and fans alike.
    Please I beg you, for only 10 bucks more you can get mario kart 8 deluxe which has nothing of this crap and a load of content and if you have it already, keep it and forget this disgraceful piece of thrash ever existed. It will be dead soon anyways.
  56. Mar 13, 2022
    El modo historia es lo mejor que tiene el juego, es divertido y está simpático, pero nada más. Lo primero que ves es como están deseando que metas más dinero en el juego. La manera de desbloquear es pagando y farmeando, y además el modo multijugador no ayuda para farmear. Existiendo Mario Kart no tiene lógica este juego, solo por la nostalgia sobre aquel Chocobo Racing de PS1
  57. Mar 12, 2022
    You know that “Gravy Train” song Daryl is tortured with in The Walking Dead? That’s exactly what this game is….except you’re the one being tortured by the game’s atrociously irritating menu song that repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats……

Was so excited for this racer! Mario Kart styled game with FF characters and music? That’s a sure home run, especially since MK literally paved the way with its golden formula. Square Enix had one job, follow the template with a Final Fantasy theme. But nope. Admittedly only played the Lite version but deleted it after 30’ish min; not just from being bored but also just flat out irritated by so much in it - the poor track design, the cheap, annoying remixes of classic FF songs, the item usage, the amount of distracting glam, the in-game currency (available for real world money…on top of the game’s selling price). The game has few redeeming moments. The fact it’s 60fps is a big plus…but it’s not enough to outweigh the garbage. Any new game requires practice to “git gud” but I have zero interest in reaching that status here. Save your ears, save your eyes, save your sanity…not to mention, save your wallet.
  58. Mar 15, 2022
    I love the gameplay, it's really fun and addictive, but the whole season pass day 1 dlc thing and pretty much being forced to play online if you want to unlock everything, really puts a damper on the whole experience.

Still enjoying the game, it's built incredibly well and definitely a lot different from Mario Kart, but the whole microtransaction thing just ruins what would be perfect otherwise.
  59. Mar 24, 2022
    It's sad that my three will raise the score. It's not a terrible game but worth twenty dollars not fifty. It's worse than Mario Kart 8, CTR, Team Sonic, or Nicktoons 2, by a lot, but better than the actual bad games.
  60. Mar 16, 2022
    Chocobo GP is a great idea on paper but in reality is a kart racing game for switch that nickle and dimes players for every cent in their wallet. Horrible monetization brings an otherwise decent racing game down to a 0 out of 10. There's simply no way to justify the microtransaction shop in this full priced Switch game. Square Enix has been on a spree of bad releases lately and this isChocobo GP is a great idea on paper but in reality is a kart racing game for switch that nickle and dimes players for every cent in their wallet. Horrible monetization brings an otherwise decent racing game down to a 0 out of 10. There's simply no way to justify the microtransaction shop in this full priced Switch game. Square Enix has been on a spree of bad releases lately and this is another casualty. Expand
  61. Mar 11, 2022
    I think Chocobo gp is a okay game because there is a lite version which is free and im giving this a 6 out of 10
  62. Mar 23, 2022
    The good:
    A new game/Remake of the Chocobo Racing series. Nice graphics. SD cute style for identifiable Final Fantasy characters. Great variety of characters.
    The bad: It has extra payouts and extra monetization with real money, despite being a full priced game, this may set the game apart from other “somewhat” Karts games. Except for the main theme, there are no more memorable
    The good:

The bad:
    It has extra payouts and extra monetization with real money, despite being a full priced game, this may set the game apart from other “somewhat” Karts games. Except for the main theme, there are no more memorable musical themes. You have to at least know the classic Final Fantasy series or Chocobo Dungeon to more or less understand some of the game's references to Final Fantasy. Some tracks are not the most inspired of the genre. Releasing this Kart game on a console where everyone has eyes only for Mario Kart is a very bad idea.

Lo Meh!:
    It took more than two decades for Square-Enix to revive Chocobo Racing (from PSX) now known as Chocobo GP. The series is older than many believe but it remained forgotten. Except for emblematic figures like Boko the Chocobo, Cloud (FF7), perhaps Vivi the black magician or Squall (FF8), the rest of the characters have belonged to the franchise but they are not pop characters and are highly forgettable. I hope Square-Enix releases it for PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/Series
  63. Mar 12, 2022
    I took the physical version and I'm satisfied. It's surely not as good as Mario Kart 8 but it's a funny game that does it's job.
  64. Mar 12, 2022
    Really good kart racer and plays well. Online is good idea but needs the season pass stuff changed for people that buy the full version.
  65. Mar 19, 2022
    Everybody's upset that the game has micro transactions, but they're missing the fact that this is a good kart game.

Though it doesn't have everything that I was hoping for from the original game, the magic system is a really good idea, and I'm glad they kept it. Because of the wide variety of spells and the fact that you can charge them to different levels for different effects, each race is considerably different from the last. This game could have much more legs than other Kart racers, with many more potential hours of play before it becomes stale.

The game really opens up as you play through the story mode. The tracks included in the GP mode for the free version are all really same-ish and boring. It was off putting to me at first. But I took the chance and purchased the game because I loved the first game, and wanted to support the new release. I'm glad I did!

This game isn't stupid-easy like every other mainstream kart racer out there. The story mode is actually enjoyable because it isn't ridiculously easy. The A.I. is good, and the different spell interactions are highly enjoyable for Final Fantasy fans!

Making people pay for things like characters right off the bat (cloud), and pay real money for nostalgic music tracks is hideously stupid. And thankfully, Square Enix is paying for it and making changes for the better. So I don't bemoan the folks flame-bombing the game. I just wanted to give an honest outlook on the game. If you're a fan of the original and of FF, don't avoid it just because it has microtransactions!
  66. Mar 20, 2022
    Great game! Cars models are amazing an the races feels like real life. The weather change is an awesome feature too
  67. May 14, 2022
    This game is great I'm have way more fun playing this them Mariokart season pass started out bad but after added stickers got better I see there adding two new stages and more people to choose nest season can't wait
  68. Jul 2, 2022
    this game is so bad on many ways. really doesn't worth play this. bad gameplay
  69. Jun 4, 2022
    ok,in season 2 now look great & not alot gambling like mobile style(nokia era game is best),i happy this game become like console game like ps1 ver,hope season 3 better like this,hope release ff7,ff8 star or aya brea or lightning ff13 or even kadaj ff7 ac with he bike,cloud with ff7 ac outfit & fenrir bike or can summon bahamut sin ff7 ac not reguler chibi blue bahamut & vincent ff7 doc &ok,in season 2 now look great & not alot gambling like mobile style(nokia era game is best),i happy this game become like console game like ps1 ver,hope season 3 better like this,hope release ff7,ff8 star or aya brea or lightning ff13 or even kadaj ff7 ac with he bike,cloud with ff7 ac outfit & fenrir bike or can summon bahamut sin ff7 ac not reguler chibi blue bahamut & vincent ff7 doc & sephiroth,thanks for season 2. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 73 Critic Reviews

1. May 11, 2022
    Where Chocobo GP really goes off the rails is in the way it demands money from the player. The game already costs full price, but also works with a season pass and microtransactions for all sorts of extras that should have been in the base game in the first place. Illustrating this is how Chocobo GP puts Cloud and Squall deep behind the pay wall. It's like you can only race Mario and Bowser in Mario Kart after opening your wallet.
  2. May 7, 2022
    Chocobo GP brings us back to the world of go-kart racing with these famous Square-Enix characters and what we have here is a fun game with a huge cast and a very motivating main campaign with plenty of content to unlock and a well implemented online multiplayer component. It takes a considerable amount of time to unlock every single item but what's on offer here is a very wide and long-lasting game that will certainly make fans happy.
  3. Apr 22, 2022
    It’s crazy to believe that I can be down on a game that is really fun to play both offline and online. Somehow, Square-Enix has thrown so many things into the game that either you must pay for, or grind for weeks to unlock. It wouldn’t be that big of an issue if it was just cosmetic items, but characters who have different stats and special moves that could possibly throw the advantage to the player that paid money. I just can’t get on board with that. Still, there is a free version of the game for anyone to play and see how they feel about the game. If you enjoy it enough to spend some money, you can, just keep in mind, this game can be really fun, but the grind can be real.