8.0

1. May 17, 2020
    An excellent game, obviously. Being able to play it on a mobile device is great. And from a purely technical standpoint, this port is good : it takes the 360/PS3 version, increases the resolution and cleans up the original textures. The game runs at a rather steady 30fps, albeit with the typical framepacing issue found in all FromSoft games running at 30fps. Now, why 7? This game aloneAn excellent game, obviously. Being able to play it on a mobile device is great. And from a purely technical standpoint, this port is good : it takes the 360/PS3 version, increases the resolution and cleans up the original textures. The game runs at a rather steady 30fps, albeit with the typical framepacing issue found in all FromSoft games running at 30fps. Now, why 7? This game alone obviously deserves much more. But this port has two glaring issues that somehow were NEVER patched by Bandai Namco and Virtuos. The first one is the sound, which sounds definitely worst than it did in the original releases. Swing your weapon, and it will sound like someone is opening a bag of chips in a remote corner of Narnia. Launch a chorus-charged piece of music, and it'll sound like an army of mosquitoes is coming at you. Yes, it's THAT bad, and they have no excuse not to have made high quality sound available as a patch or download.

The second issue is button mapping. Somehow Virtuos decided to stick to the Western button mapping of the game, instead of the Japanese one. It could be nothing, except ALL other games on the Switch are mapped following Japanese custom, and so is the controller. Here, you'll press A to cancel, B to confirm. In other words: prepare to cancel A LOT. A lot a lot. And it can make a huge difference in a notoriously difficult game in which menus don't pause the game. The Switch now allows custom mapping of the button but it's a hassle, and worst offense: the option to switch those two buttons is shown in the parameters of the game... But greyed out!!!

Feels, overall, like a half-baked port that could have been nearly perfect with just a little post-release support from Bandai Namco and Virtuos. Both this masterpiece and the Switch deserved better but well, for Switch-only owners or those who appreciate portability, it still does the job.
  2. Oct 15, 2020
    They say this game is hard. What they don’t say is even the menu to design your player is hard. The buttons were incredibly counterintuitive, it took me a frustrating long time to design my player, and I began the game with a bad taste in my mouth. Why couldn’t “A” be to confirm a selection and “B” be for going back, like every other switch game? Anyways, I began the game, which lookedThey say this game is hard. What they don’t say is even the menu to design your player is hard. The buttons were incredibly counterintuitive, it took me a frustrating long time to design my player, and I began the game with a bad taste in my mouth. Why couldn’t “A” be to confirm a selection and “B” be for going back, like every other switch game? Anyways, I began the game, which looked graphically dated, played up to the point where I needed to look on my phone to figure out what I had to do to get to the next thing in the game because it wasn’t clear, and then I listed the game on eBay for sale. This game was not for me. And I like hard games. Expand
  3. Oct 23, 2018
    The only reason to play on the switch is for the handheld mode, because every other platform is to be preferred otherwise. Unfortunately, it will get your switch super hot pretty fast and drain a lot of battery making use in handheld not that appealing either. Sad.
  4. Dec 6, 2018
    Gran videojuego de la época de PS3 y 360 llevado con remasterizaciones leves a Switch con la ventaja de ser portatil. No he terminado el juego y no me ha gustado demasiado pero hay que reconocer la calidad que este tiene tanto en ambientación como en jugabilidad. Recomendado para los amantes de la saga.
  5. Apr 11, 2020
    A fantastic game and a good port for the most part. Graphics and performance are significantly upgraded from the PS3 version. However there is one massive issue with this port that may very well completely ruin the experience for some players:
    THE AUDIO HAS BEEN COMPRESSED TO HELL AND BACK.
    Seriously, depending on the sound system you are using the game can sound absolutely dreadfull.
    THE AUDIO HAS BEEN COMPRESSED TO HELL AND BACK.
    It's fine if you use the internal speakers of the Switch, or maybe if you use cheap headphones.
    But try playing it on TV with a good sound system or try using good headphones: it will sound really really bad.
    I can only assume that this was done to fit the game on a cheap 4gb cartridge. But then they didn't even decide to make the proper audio files available as a download.
    All in all this really hurts the experience of playing an otherwise fantastic game.
  6. Dec 29, 2018
    Thanks Miyazaki,we buy the patch for the price of the game.I played the original on PC and xbox 360 with terrible optimization and bad netcode.In principle, nothing has changed only slightly tightened the schedule and made the blood look like jam.
  7. Jan 22, 2019
    Неплохой порт. 30 фпс огорчили больше всего. В целом управление адекватное и удобное. Приятно иметь карманный Дарк Соулс. Всем любителям Соулс игр советую к приобретению. Игра хороша. Оценка выставлена именно порту игры, а не самой игре.Неплохой порт. 30 фпс огорчили больше всего. В целом управление адекватное и удобное. Приятно иметь карманный Дарк Соулс. Всем любителям Соулс игр советую к приобретению. Игра хороша. Оценка выставлена именно порту игры, а не самой игре.
  8. Apr 7, 2019
    Hated the controls. Great gameplay but bit too hard for me. Tried really hard to like but couldn't get into it
  9. Jul 8, 2019
    Just good ol' Dark Souls on Switch.
    Not different than other ports of the game aside from being portable.
  10. Mar 9, 2020
    This game is very fun and will make you mad. The only thing holding back the Switch port is the bad audio.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 51 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2019
    It’s another edition of the same old thing. One that has nothing to offer apart from what should be offered in the least – and still doesn’t accomplish it well enough to be worthy of any praise. [13/2018, p.76]
  2. NF Magazine
    Feb 26, 2019
    There are technical limitations inherent with the Switch version of Dark Souls, but if you're from a time where you can fight through it, you should be OK. [Issue #37 – January/February 2019, p. 73]
  3. Dec 10, 2018
    Dark Souls Remastered on the Nintendo Switch brings a new kind of revelry to the moment-to-moment victories like finding a bonfire or killing a boss.