8.2

1. Mar 19, 2018
    Gameplay-wise, there is really nothing new here. Just another horror game with a generic gameplay. There are two or three scary moments that I can remember while playing the game. Puzzles are easy and straightforward; collect items, put pieces together...etc! It kind of reminded me of classic RE puzzles. Even though the gameplay does not stand out, I did enjoy the game greatly. Why?Gameplay-wise, there is really nothing new here. Just another horror game with a generic gameplay. There are two or three scary moments that I can remember while playing the game. Puzzles are easy and straightforward; collect items, put pieces together...etc! It kind of reminded me of classic RE puzzles. Even though the gameplay does not stand out, I did enjoy the game greatly. Why? Because of the story. I enjoyed reading through the notes that are scattered across the game. I love the poetic narrative of this game, too. And of course, the overall message within the story.

Should you buy this game? Depends on what kind of a player you are. If you are dying for another horror game that is inspired by SH series, then this is for you. Otherwise, I suggest you try before buying.

Be warned, though! The game is really short. I did get over it in under 5 hours *According to my Switch log*. It was worth my time and money.
  2. Mar 30, 2019
    I enjoyed detention quite a bit. It's reminiscent of older horror titles like Silent Hill in its use of symbolism and puzzles. It's a bit short, taking around three hours to beat but the story made it a worthwhile purchase.
    It's not a masterpiece and not overly terrifying either but it is great at building tension and keeping you engaged. Definitely worth a purchase if you're a horror fan and you see it on sale.
  3. Jan 18, 2019
    A game with a real good story and smooth gameplay. If you like horror games, you should try it.
  4. Aug 30, 2019
    This is a lovely little gem of a game.
    Gameplay is very basic, but it does not matter as it's the perfect tool to deliver a horror experience in an unique setting.
    I'd definitely recommend it to any lover of horror, narrative games, and classic point and click adventures (though the puzzles are fairly easy).
  5. Sep 11, 2019
    Absolutely great game but it's short length is a bummer . It's a scary game with deep themes to tell
  6. May 21, 2020
    I would've liked it to have been longer because I was enjoying it so much. It's a hauntingly beautiful game that I recommend to everyone, especially if you're a fan of the classic psychological horror games of yore - like Silent Hill, especially. The latter portion is a kind of 'walking-simulator-y,' but by that point, the narrative has earned it. And boy does it have an excellent story -I would've liked it to have been longer because I was enjoying it so much. It's a hauntingly beautiful game that I recommend to everyone, especially if you're a fan of the classic psychological horror games of yore - like Silent Hill, especially. The latter portion is a kind of 'walking-simulator-y,' but by that point, the narrative has earned it. And boy does it have an excellent story - and the atmosphere is top-notch. Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2020
    Beautiful, unique and exciting masterpiece. Creates a mesmerizing atmosphere. A mustbuy indie
  8. Apr 3, 2020
    Great game with alot of thought put into the small things. Based around a true story of a high school in Keelung Taiwan when a principal was executed for printing an illegal newspaper while hundreds imprisoned. The game runs a slightly different story of a book club but still has a number of Taiwan cultural aspects and captures the mental stress that the Taiwanese were feeling during aGreat game with alot of thought put into the small things. Based around a true story of a high school in Keelung Taiwan when a principal was executed for printing an illegal newspaper while hundreds imprisoned. The game runs a slightly different story of a book club but still has a number of Taiwan cultural aspects and captures the mental stress that the Taiwanese were feeling during a dark period of history Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 18, 2018
    Detention has a flair of the first horror-themed videogames and with its emphasis on the plot, along with its involving visual and sound effects creates an unforgettable setting for the players. Overall, this is one of the best experiences of the kind that can be found in the Nintendo Switch eShop, thanks to its well-crafted plot, art style, simple but effective gameplay mechanics and involving audiovisual component.
  2. Mar 23, 2018
    A horror game that is not as deep as we would have liked, but manages to scare you while it lasts.
  3. Mar 14, 2018
    Detention is a perfect example of how the video games medium can be utilised to tell unfamiliar, but important, stories in a novel and impactful way. That by no means takes away from its credibility as a horror game and instead strengthens it.