5.1

1. Mar 19, 2020
    The story is pretty bad.

I'm on chapter 17 (18 total chapters if I'm not mistaken) and been ignoring all the voice acting and just been speed reading the dialogue just so I can finish the game. Especially with the overly cliche characters that has nothing new to add to the table. I had not grown attached to a single character in the game at all. The maps are re-used over and over,
    The story is pretty bad.

The maps are re-used over and over, there's no feeling of exploration, there's nothing thought-provoking through in-game puzzles/level designs, and don't get me started on the fillers that you have no choice but to go through sometimes just to progress the story.

There's an "auto-battle" option in every battle too, which at this point, I'm not complaining about so I can put my attention on other things than the repetitive combat.

I love digimon since I was 6 years old but it seems that's where the childish excitement stem from.

My girlfriend bought me the game since she knew I've always been a Digimon > Pokemon, but even she got bored watching me play.

Its an okay game, but maybe something I would've bought for the 6 year old me, or for a kid's birthday gift.
  2. Jan 5, 2021
    Hey, you can just train your Digimon on farm. Put your switch (do not close the app) and yourself on sleep, and the next morning your Digimon would be LV 30+. Once you re on mission, You obliterate your enemy (played in hard mode) in 1 hit or simply put it on auto. That's destroys the purpose of RPG strategy. We've talked about Pokémon being too easy but this is another level.

With that

With that aside, you'll have good time especially Digimon and Anime fan. Character is good (anime style). Story is okay. Graphic is okay. Music is good. Everything is just Good/okay but that's the problem with Digimon. Everything is barely changed from games that I've played in original PlayStation 20 years ago. Just better graphic, more Digimon, and gimmick feature that doesn't affect anything. I really hope with the rise of it anime series, Bandai will give Digimon more attention.

I would say pick it when on sale for at least 50%, it has 2 games and longevity of 100 hours...

Generally favorable reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Apr 30, 2020
    Two excellent monster-taming games with something for almost every playstyle. [Issue #44 – January/February 2020, p. 70]
  2. Jan 27, 2020
    It does nothing with its mechanics or story that allows it to rise to the level of RPG greats like Persona 5 but what it does do is perfectly entertaining in its own right.
  3. Jan 15, 2020
    The Digimon Story titles can only blame themselves for the failure to realize the themes they seem to chase. The mechanics are unsuitable for developing a relationship between the player and the Digimon. The cliché-ridden characters and plot defeat the emotional impact of Cyber Sleuth, and poor scripting makes Hacker’s Memory feel irrelevant. What’s left is an astonishing quantity of JRPG grist. While there’s some satisfaction in grinding it down, none of it leaves a lasting impact.