7.0

1. May 31, 2018
    I grabbed Earthlock because I wanted an old-school turn-based RPG to hold me over before Octopath Traveler, and I can report that it serves that purpose perfectly well!

Basically, you command a group of colorful characters in an effort to save the world. If you've played Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IX, you'll feel right at home. It hits all of the sweet spots that AAA RPGs tend to ignore nowadays, like true turn-based combat, static character classes, and a single linear story. Explore a dungeon, fight monsters, loot chests, hope you make it to the next save point. All good stuff.

Unfortunately, the pacing docks it several points for me. Battles are slow (you can speed them up, but you have to toggle it on every battle). Natural progression will lead you to bosses you have no hope of beating, forcing you to grind. Instead of MP there are "amri points," which require you to skip a turn to recharge. The battle menu is confusing at first and annoying for the rest of the time, occasionally leading to missed button presses--I don't think Square has a copyright on the Fight Magic Item menu, do they? The confluence of all these factors make the game susceptible to the major complaint I have with games these days: It drags, and I'm ready for it to end so I can move on to something else.

All in all, its good if you can get it on sale. Unless Octopath is out when you read this, then just get Octopath.
  2. Aug 23, 2018
    un trés bon JRPG, la traduction Fr est vraiment bonne, les missions et l'histoire dans la moyenne haute.
    par contre juste un petit bémol, il faut faire un peu de grind pour battre certains boss.
  3. Jun 20, 2018
    Bought this game on launch as I had read about its classic RPG elements. The game has an attractive world, great turn based battle, likeable characters and the levelling up via the card system really works.
    The only part that stopped me giving this higher than an 8 was the fast travel and save system. It’s not possible to save on the world map and to fast travel from one location to another you must go via your ‘base’. If these elements were improved it would definitely be a great title in relation to the price.
  4. Aug 17, 2018
    It was really upset by all the "Pixelstyle"-RPGs the Big Boys thrown on to a System that is capable of running Games, that dont look like glorified Gameboygames. And then I found this little Gem. Its absolutely beautiful, the Combat is Fun and the World is nice. The Gameplay reminded me of all the older RPGs/JRPGs I loved to spend hours on. I dont regret picking it up.
  5. Aug 20, 2018
    Hits the nail on the head for fun gameplay mechanics but fails on some basic features like saving.

Considering its JRPG influences, the game paces its story a little faster than I expected, which is a welcome change. As soon as you start the game, you're immersed in the story and playing the game without a 40 hour insipid dialogue exchange. The game feels less grindy because of this. You move from scene to scene pretty fluidly, and in terms of battles, I found I only needed to run through the gamut of creatures less than twice per dungeon in order to wreck a boss. You just need to learn how to use correct buffs and tactics. You can also specialize your characters using skill trees, which can really steer battles in your favour.

Non-battle gameplay is fun since each character has their own abilities while exploring, which adds diverse mechanics. Dialogue is not bad, but not fantastic either. The art reminds me of PS2 era RPGs, which makes me nostalgic :)

I'm docking 2 points because they use a save-point system and you can't save on the world map! They scaled their world map to be smaller so you can go to places faster, but that doesn't help if your switch is about to die and you just want to save. Save points are not generously dotted in a dungeon, so you'll find yourself walking back and forth a lot if you're exploring, which is tedious.

1. Jun 19, 2018
    Those looking for a turned-based RPG, inspired by the golden oldies, are advised to look exactly where Earthlock took its inspiration from, as it's not very good at what it does. Some neat ideas have been included, but these can't make amends for a lack of an engaging plot, or fun battles.
  2. May 30, 2018
    Earthlock is a good game, locked behind a lack of polish.
  3. May 28, 2018
    An indie RPG that follows all the imaginable clichés from the 90's J-RPG (except random encounters). The result isn't bad, but some areas have plenty of room to improve (characters and plot won't hook you up completely). But, if you love the genre, you will be able to explore its world filled with tasks for 25+ hours (enjoyable in portable mode).