3.3

1. Jul 8, 2019
    This was a decent version for the Switch and it's nice to have FIFA on the go. However, it is by far inferior to the 'real' version on consoles and PC. The game doesn't have some of the stuff that the real version have, like the new shooting features. The worst part of the game is the graphics. Not only are they low quality, there are so many glitches! Usually half the players don't haveThis was a decent version for the Switch and it's nice to have FIFA on the go. However, it is by far inferior to the 'real' version on consoles and PC. The game doesn't have some of the stuff that the real version have, like the new shooting features. The worst part of the game is the graphics. Not only are they low quality, there are so many glitches! Usually half the players don't have their faces properly rendered and are just men with heads that have a green and blue chequered design all over their body. That's quite strange and shows the poor effort to make this game. Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2019
    Poor gameplay not realistic at all. Stupid attacking movements fouls and offsides. The cutscenes after fouls and goals are glitchy.
  3. Jun 4, 2019
    Enjoyable if you have not played a fifa game in years. If you have last years version then do not buy it
  4. Mar 11, 2019
    Full disclosures:
    I do not play FUT or any online; only single-player Career Mode (About 40 hours thus far)
    As such, this review is focused on GAMEPLAY ONLY. I'll start by saying that the User Score (3.4 currently) is a joke and too low for this game. However, this game is still pretty bad. The reasons for this are purely gameplay-related. I'm not going to spend any time going over
    Full disclosures:
    As such, this review is focused on GAMEPLAY ONLY.

I'll start by saying that the User Score (3.4 currently) is a joke and too low for this game. However, this game is still pretty bad. The reasons for this are purely gameplay-related. I'm not going to spend any time going over positive such as licensing, presentation, etc because I don't think this adds much value to the game. Instead I want to warn potential buyers of what issues the will face when buying this game.

1) Physics: these largely make the game unplayable for me. The player movement is very slow and clunky. The ball feels heavier than it should be and is often doing the scripted/on rails thing that FIFA has always had a problem with, in my opinion. The physics of ball and player movement make the game very difficult for me to play. Most of the time the commands I enter don't ever actually take place due to the clumsy nature in which players move about. Usually things just end in clumsy collisions with opposing players with lost possession.

2) Input Delay: FIFA has always required players to hold down buttons for too long to execute passes and shots. That problem is still very present in this game. It is made worse by the fact that the time it takes for a player to perform commands is several milliseconds behind the actual pressing of the button. This allows for opposition defenders to stifle attacks not because you didn't enter the right command, but because the AI defending executes presses and tackles much more quickly than you can perform commands at higher levels of difficulty where the time window for passing in shooting is much shorter than lower difficulties (becomes much more noticeable at Pro difficulty and above). I can't even begin to count how many times I envisioned an attack and knew exactly where I wanted to play the ball only to be dispossessed while waiting for the player to actually execute the pass I'd already executed with the controller. The impact this has on defending is massive. So many times my defender has turned the ball over inside the box because he takes a touch even though I've clearly pressed the clearance button before it got to him (which you have to do because he will only take longer if you wait until the ball arrives). This, in my opinion, is the largest problem with the game.

3) Passing: this is very inconsistent. I have tried many different settings and I'm inclined to say I think it's fundamentally broken. The time you hold down the pass button often has inconsistent impact on the power of the pass. Passes are wildly under or over hit or simply misplaced with such frequency that games often result in being just midfield ping-pong battles that don't go anywhere. Though balls are very inaccurate and usually placed in the paths of defenders regardless of where you're trying to put the ball. And don't even get me started on the need to use the "driven pass". It needlessly complicates passing and is often required to maintain pass power in situations that shouldn't require it (passing from CB to a FB, for example). I have tried semi and manual settings as well, but for reasons related to input-lag discussed above these aren't really viable alternatives; they exacerbate those problems. Player reaction to passes is also very delayed and slow. You can take control of a player receiving a pass and move them toward the incoming pass, but they don't respond quickly or with enough pace to beat defenders in most cases. The defending AI is much better at running onto an incoming pass even when you're trying to bring your player short. It's infuriating when you're trying to play a possession game and slowly build up your play. Which brings me to the next problem:

3) Tactics/Strategy Settings are Largely Useless: as just mentioned, players won't come onto short passes in tight spaces. Naturally, I went into the tactics menu and adjusted according. No matter what tweaks I made, I could rarely get players to do as instruction in the tactics menu. Players would not come short and run onto passes no matter what I did with the sliders. I saw very little difference in my team's behavior regardless of whether I set tactics for short passing possession styles or very direct long ball tactics. Chance creation tactics don't really work well either. I saw very little difference between safe, normal, and risky pass run sliders.

4) Shooting: very inconsistent. As somebody that has played countless hours of soccer games over the years I've never played one where players who are appropriately positioned misplace easy shots in terms of both accuracy and power. I've often been left staring at the screen wondering how else I was supposed to perform the shot.

Out of characters so here is the TL;DR: Nowhere near worth 60 bucks. I bought on sale for 30. Still not worth it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 24 Critic Reviews

1. Critical Hit
    Oct 12, 2018
    I do hope there’s more to come from FIFA in the years ahead, but for now it’s more of a fun-to-have rather than a must-have for Nintendo Switch owners.
  2. Oct 9, 2018
    This is a great backup version, but a largely inferior edition of a terrific game.
  3. Oct 6, 2018
    If FIFA 19 on PS4 and Xbox One is a 40-piece orchestra with all the bells and whistles you can think of, then FIFA 19 on Nintendo Switch is the tribute band.