7.2

1. Apr 13, 2017
    For the price, this game is pretty amazing. It has a pretty steep learning curve, and could use a better tutorial. Once you figure out whats going on and get into a rhythm, the game really starts to shine. It seems like they've put in more tutorial elements into the game since it started. Very solid game for 20 bucks.
  2. May 21, 2017
    I have put about 30 hours into HBH and have unlocked the first 9 characters. The official reviewers of this game did a horrible job of reviewing it. HBH is fun, fast, addictive and requires a bit of thinking, planning and understanding of the game's mechanics. The game is not hard, necessariy. Once you unlock more spells and items you are open to more strategies in how to attack, andI have put about 30 hours into HBH and have unlocked the first 9 characters. The official reviewers of this game did a horrible job of reviewing it. HBH is fun, fast, addictive and requires a bit of thinking, planning and understanding of the game's mechanics. The game is not hard, necessariy. Once you unlock more spells and items you are open to more strategies in how to attack, and defend against, enemies. In the beginning I was swarmed with enemies and died. Now, I rarely die unless it is a tough boss battle--this is due to learning the game mechanics and unlocking new spells and items (which you get as you play, buy them, die and unlock more). I highly recommend this game. It is such a great buy--one that I almost didn't purchase due to the harsh critic reviews. Some complain about the weak tutorial. Well, do what I did-google search HBH play tips before buying. Again, fantastic and fun game that is worth your time and money. Enjoy! Expand
  3. May 7, 2017
    It's a very good game. Take the negative critic score with a grain of salt, the sample size is low, and the user reviews will provide a more well rounded analysis. It's a roguelike. If you don't like difficult games, you won't like this. You will lose a lot before you win, and after you win, you basically repeat the same gameplay experience with unlockable spells, items, new heroes, andIt's a very good game. Take the negative critic score with a grain of salt, the sample size is low, and the user reviews will provide a more well rounded analysis. It's a roguelike. If you don't like difficult games, you won't like this. You will lose a lot before you win, and after you win, you basically repeat the same gameplay experience with unlockable spells, items, new heroes, and new bosses and levels.

Figure out the combat! It will take time, but the payoff is sweet.

Very few cons to this game, excellent for the price, replayability is either extremely high or extremely low based on how much a player likes repetitive battles and bosses with only unlocks and difficulty increasing.

Definitely get this game!
  4. Apr 8, 2017
    This game is an absolute blast, it's so disappointing that critics of today have gotten so lazy that they couldn't even spend an hour or two trying to figure out game mechanics.

It is a very good tactiacal action RPG I would've given it a 8/10 but just to counter lazy ass critics I am giving this a 10/10.
  5. May 23, 2017
    This is one of the best games I've ever played, and it's at a 52 on Metacritic.

Tragic. Partly this is because the reviews were done before a Day One Patch dropped the difficulty, and partly it's because the reviewers were embarrassingly incompetent. This is a game that rewards investment and pays deep dividends for climbing the learning curve. Yeah, the game is hard. It's also
    This is one of the best games I've ever played, and it's at a 52 on Metacritic.

Tragic.

This is a game that rewards investment and pays deep dividends for climbing the learning curve. Yeah, the game is hard. It's also EXTREMELY rich and worthwhile.

IGN, for example, wrote a review without completing a single run. That would be equivalent to reviewing Dark Souls 3 without finishing the tutorial boss. They effectively didn't play the game they were reviewing.

If you've read this far in my review, spend the $20 and get this amazing game. Persevere. It's *worth it*.

Pro tip (you'll thank me later): Candles are spent on *edges*, not *nodes*.

You're welcome.
  6. Aug 10, 2017
    This game is original, fun to play and totally worth $20.

I have over 25 hours of gameplay in this game so far. Its been an addiction and I can't stop playing. This is the game I want to play all the time on my Switch. I was hesitant to get this because of the negative review, but I am SO HAPPY i disregarded them. The artwork is great, the strategy is solid. It takes all my brain
    This game is original, fun to play and totally worth $20.

The artwork is great, the strategy is solid. It takes all my brain power to actually play this game, which is very welcoming for an experienced gamer like me. The controls still aren't 100% 2nd nature yet, but I have no real alternatives for suggestions, so I'm fine with it. Not sure how else you are going to control 3 lanes other than mapping them to 3 buttons.

So the rest of this review is defensive. But it has to be given the lower score. It makes me sad because these low reviews are THE REASON games don't experiment too much these days and typically play things safe. For the sake of the industry I'm going to defend this game.

I am floored at how many reviews I've read where they haven't even beat the game and criticize it. Learn how to play a game before you review it, seriously (yes, even IGN)! I think game review sites are starting to have more and more newbies writing reviews, or they are just getting too corporate and want to get the reviews out the door. ITS TRAGIC because this game is really great. I think there are a lot of people writing reviews on this that don't even like the genre or didn't actually take the time to fully learn the mechanics and strategy.

For instance, I read one review, and they guy said you couldn't see the information on stuff before you picked it up, but could on the PC. NOT TRUE! You can't see info on items you get for the FIRST TIME because you don't know what it is, which is kind of cool. Then, FOREVER. You can see the info before you pick it up. GUYS, come on! Learn games before you review them.

Maybe I just grew up in a time when games had no real tutorials, but I'm fine with this game not teaching me and letting me slowly figure things out. Its fun. This game is fun and its great quality. I think maybe its too smart for most people, or people are just impatient and have too many games to play now a days to relax and learn?

People say this is a "Plants vs Zombies" clone. Give me a break! Its not even the same thing by FAR. PVZ is tower defense. This is NOT tower defense. Where are my towers? I have CHARACTERS that move back and forth. Do they think its like PVZ because it has lanes? So do many other games (with that definition, is this a Subway Surfers clone too?). Is this like PVZ because it has undead? So do many other games. Maybe Has Been Heroes has some influence from PVZ on their art? Who knows, but I'm fine with that. I love PVZ art, its great and fun just like this game.
    Seriously, most of these reviewers are immature and too quick to judge. This game really isn't like PVZ at all and I can't believe how many times I've read that.

People get upset that they die? Boohoo. You unlock stuff when you die and start over. Its all on your head, dummies. You aren't really dead, you keep the same characters and go on another adventure with new stuff. Its fun! And each time you beat the game you unlock more heroes! I'm sorry you can't get over your ego enough to think you should be alive at all times in all games, or somehow its not fun for you because you don't win 100% of the time.

Buy this game if you like a strategic challenge, fantasy setting and are mature enough of a gamer that many games now a days feel too easy. This game is really rewarding if you take the time to learn it. Its not impossibly hard, you just have to think. Every time I lose, I get what I could have done better (though occasionally I get a really really bad role, but thats interesting too) .

This game is polished, original, done really well and totally worth $20. I mostly love it because its not like anything i've played and thats the reason we play games, is for new experiences.
  7. Feb 10, 2018
    Éste indie no es para todo el mundo, requiere de un arduo aprendizaje hasta dominar los controles, y poder desbloquear la larga cantidad de objetos que el juego esconde, por lo que si no te gusta mucho perder seguro lo hallaras frustrante y repetitivo.
    El juego es una especie de Plants vs. Zombies con menos carriles, mecánicas más complejas y menos tiempo de reacción. En general los gráficos y la música están bien, pero el duro trabajo no se ve redimido al final de la experiencia.
    Si te gustan los desafíos pruébalo, suma tenerlo en Switch porque es el único medio de jugarlo en forma portable, pero no recomiendo la compra salvo que ya lo hayas tenido entre manos o esté con descuento.
  8. Apr 10, 2017
    Yes, this game might be quite challenging and not for everyone, but that is what draws me back to it again and again, even-though i'm not the biggest fan of 'rouge-likes'. The mechanics, once gotten used to, are superb and so unique. I don't see why or how it's got such a low score. It's perfect for the Switch as a pick up and play game. When you pull off combos with your characters usingYes, this game might be quite challenging and not for everyone, but that is what draws me back to it again and again, even-though i'm not the biggest fan of 'rouge-likes'. The mechanics, once gotten used to, are superb and so unique. I don't see why or how it's got such a low score. It's perfect for the Switch as a pick up and play game. When you pull off combos with your characters using the lane swaps and the stamina mechanics in place, this game is one of the most satisfying moments I've had experiencing a game. But don't get me wrong, it is brutal. One slip or miss-pressed button can cost you a whole run, which can be also some of the most frustrating times of gaming recently, however you learn from your mistakes and the game grows stronger as when you die, you gain new unlocks that can be found in game depending on how many souls you've collecting, thus improving future runs. It is a must buy for me on a Switch. 10/10 Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2017
    Is the game hard? Yes.
    Is the game's RNG sometime's unfair? Like any good rogue-like, yes.
    Is the game good? No, it's GREAT. I cannot believe critics who played for so little time gave such low scores. Although the game does not offer much in terms of early tutorial or hand holding, it has a very rewarding system. The more you play, the more diverse gameplay becomes as you unlock
    Is the game hard? Yes.
    Is the game's RNG sometime's unfair? Like any good rogue-like, yes.
    Is the game good? No, it's GREAT.

I cannot believe critics who played for so little time gave such low scores. Although the game does not offer much in terms of early tutorial or hand holding, it has a very rewarding system. The more you play, the more diverse gameplay becomes as you unlock hundreds of different spells, items, enemies and a dozen characters with unique passive abilities.

I consider it a mix of rhythm game + timed turn based combat in a rogue-like frame. Do not listen to "professional" reviews. The game is fairly priced, has extensive content to unlock and is a great port on the Switch. The simple visuals are still great and the load times are incredibly fast, making it easy to pick up and play "just one last round", even more so on the go.

GREATLY recommended.
  10. Apr 27, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't be discouraged by some reviews. After few days of playing (beaten the game twice) and lost to the last boss (>1 hour) only because I ignored the self damage inflicted by my own fire spell (I was crushing the boss with spells). Stupid mistakes, man that was Intense, should I start again? I decided to make an account to comment.

I read IGN, Metacritic reviews before I decided to trust fellow gamers and give it a go. Careful planning leading to perfect combo. Rushing enemies constantly trying to scratch your heroes. Dilemma of Ice then break ice, lose all your armor breaking effort or fire stun but burn you hero to knock it back. Each attack follows with split second decision making.

Monitoring three lanes. Enemies running fast or slow, in front or behind. Enemies with ridiculous armor. Enemies channeling. Each item, each spell need to be carefully collected by suitable hero. There are always new spells and items makes it exciting to find out if you made the right choice purely based on their icons.

Oh, did I mention no save. Like others said, I clicked after my second run. if planing is not your thing, it might take you longer to enjoy this game. I usually hate games with too many items or spells. In this game, they are interesting because they are gonna help you at the end of your hour long journey, so you would read them really carefully.

I love this game, I can already imagine myself hating my mistakes in late game and I only done beaten it twice (7 times you get a proper ending I heard, but each time you beat the game, next time you have one more world/boss added to the journey to beat).

I give it 9 because I know I will hate myself with my mistakes in late game. And there is no save. You need patience to like this game, you need even more skills to beat the game. It's satisfying to beat the game, more rewarding late game because you know you are a bad ass combo/spell/item master! =)
  11. May 29, 2017
    Critic reviews completely off base. Game was hard at first but with some time you figure out the mechanics and nuances and it becomes incredibly enjoyable and addictive. Have spent 50 hours with the game and still discovering tricks especially as you unlock items/spells. There is a component of RNG but that makes each run different based on what items/spells you pick up, and has not heldCritic reviews completely off base. Game was hard at first but with some time you figure out the mechanics and nuances and it becomes incredibly enjoyable and addictive. Have spent 50 hours with the game and still discovering tricks especially as you unlock items/spells. There is a component of RNG but that makes each run different based on what items/spells you pick up, and has not held me back from now clearing up to the 8th (final) map before unlocking the second set of heroes.

Belongs in a Switch game library. Easy to pick up/play and saves progress immediately if you go play something else.

Critics need to re-visit this game and give developers their due.
  12. Mar 28, 2017
    Ok, let's talk about "Has Been Heroes," the new Roguelike available on the Switch (and most other platforms)...
    I'm trying to remember the last time I disagreed with the critics to this degree. I think it was Skyward Sword, though that was in the opposite direction. I hated that steaming pile of motion-control crap, but the critics gave it a 93! Crazy... But this game, "Has Been Heroes" is GREAT (I think), but the critics have given it a 59/100, though (oddly) that average does not include a couple of quite positive reviews of 7.5 and 8 out of 10.
    Anyway, I'm honestly confused. Most of the negative reviews cite things that are essential to roguelikes...permadeath, masochistic difficulty, turn-based, fanatsy-tropes, and randomly generated levels. I'd say that they just don't "get" or enjoy roguelikes, but critics have been quite kind to Darkest Dungeon (an alright though severely flawed gem in my opinion) and other modern roguelikes.
    Anyway, I'm not saying "Has Been Heroes" is perfect, but it's a wonderful roguelike. I can't put it down. It's cutting into my Ringed City Spring Break plans...but I'm ok with that :)
    My Rating: 8/10
  13. Mar 28, 2017
    I really dont know why this game receives a 59/100, I really like this game and i just have like 2 hours playing it, the critic mentions things like "The difficulty is insane" or "Deppending on the run you will win or die" But all of that is what you expect for a Rogue-like game, And yep, your chances to win are based on the random luck (and of course a bit of skill) But i don't see this aI really dont know why this game receives a 59/100, I really like this game and i just have like 2 hours playing it, the critic mentions things like "The difficulty is insane" or "Deppending on the run you will win or die" But all of that is what you expect for a Rogue-like game, And yep, your chances to win are based on the random luck (and of course a bit of skill) But i don't see this a problem, i mean, The Binding of Isaac is like that, i still enjoy it and i remember a 86/100 from the critic.
    I think it's a really good Rogue-like game, with a really cool mechanic and a cheap price.
  14. Mar 29, 2017
    At its best moments, Has Been Heroes' (HBH) frantic gameplay evokes feelings usually found in intense puzzle and rhythm games. It feels really great when you fully understand the system and begin to effectively combo your way through hoards of enemies. The satisfaction that comes with systematically dismantling an overwhelming undead offensive is the game's greatest reward.

Let's talk

Let's talk about the controls: While there are a few odd choices that can be hard to keep track of at first (such as the independent movement of character and spell cursors), the lane-based primary control scheme is one of my favorite features of the game. Once you adjust to the controls, quickly chaining attacks feels a lot like a rhythm game in its tactile pleasure.

Still, I've seen many complaints that HBH's controls are difficult and awkward. After playing the game for a couple of days, I began to wonder how much of this feeling is unique to the experience of playing the game with Joycon in handheld mode. Most of my playtime has been spent using a Pro Controller. I have found it quite helpful for finding a grove while playing through intense combat encounters. The break in flow that I feel when playing the game in handheld mode is my largest complaint about the game. Still, this is more of an issue with the varied nature of Switch hardware than it is with the controls themselves.

I get the impression that this is going to be a love-it-or-hate-it game for most people. If you consider yourself a fan of roguelikes, don't be afraid to snap this one up for $20.
  15. Mar 29, 2017
    This game is actually really good. Chances are you've seen the critic reviews that are... mixed to say the least. Look at them carefully. From what I've read the complaints fall into three main categories:

1. Most enemies are just skeletons. This is fair. You do see some variety, but most are just skeletons in different costumes. This can be cute at times, but I definitely agree more variety would have been nice.
    2. The game doesn't do a good job of teaching you the rules. This is true. They have added tips to the home page which may help, and the tutorial tries to teach you what you need to know... much like Dark Souls did, but it appears to not have been enough. If you get into the game, I recommend you watch a video or look up explaining how it works - namely about the stamina system. That or have a friend to give you the quick rundown.
    3. It's impossibly hard/lacks progression/randomized. Look, do you like rogueli(k/t)es? If you're here, the answer is probably yes. You've maybe played Binding of Isaac, FTL, or Necrodancer. If you are used to the roguelite experience, I can tell you that this isn't any different from those. Yes, it's hard, but I think part of it is reviewers honestly not understanding the game because of point 2. Yes, whenever you start a new game, you start it fresh, but you've unlocked new items similar to BoI, so there is progression in that sense. Yes, it's randomized, but it feels like other roguelikes where sometimes RNG blesses or curses you, but you should be able to make the most out of bad situations.

So if you're reading this review, debating if you're on the edge, look at the critic's reviews and ask "does what they just complained about apply to all other roguelites?" If so, then disregard that complaint. If you like roguelites, then you'll probably like this game as long as you're willing to go online to understand the system a bit better than the game teaches you (but personally, I remember looking at wiki pages for all other roguelites I've played).

It definitely has flaws: the elements of stories and the characters you unlock could be better presented. Enemies could be more diverse. But it is very fun and addicting which is what you want from roguelites. It's not remotely as hard as reviewers made it out. I won the first two games I played, lost the third, won the fourth. (it is like Binding of Isaac in that 'winning' becomes harder as the dungeon gets longer once you've won before)
  16. Mar 28, 2017
    I'm absolutely loving this game so far. All of the complaints that are listed in every negative review are things that I find to be the backbone of the rogue-like genre. Your chances of success are largely based on random luck. For instance, you may spend all of your money and get skills that just simply aren't good. That is the case in many of my favorite games. Darkest Dungeon, BindingI'm absolutely loving this game so far. All of the complaints that are listed in every negative review are things that I find to be the backbone of the rogue-like genre. Your chances of success are largely based on random luck. For instance, you may spend all of your money and get skills that just simply aren't good. That is the case in many of my favorite games. Darkest Dungeon, Binding of Isaac and Dungeon of the Endless are all heavily influenced by luck and random chance. All three of those games have huge appeal for me. Many of the legitimate complaints have already been corrected in a day one patch. The most helpful change that was made in the patch is that the game now automatically pauses after each attack. This was something that just about every reviewer asked for. All in all, I'm very happy with my experience so far. Definitely worth the $20. Expand
  17. Mar 29, 2017
    Don't listen to the nonsense. This isn't a AAA, 50-60 hours epic, but it is a really great game melding elements of tower defense, rogue, and old-school turn based RPGS. I am enjoying it a great deal. For $20 I promise you it is a great addition to your library.
  18. Mar 31, 2017
    It's embarrassing that there are people giving this a low score because they don't understand what a roguelike game is. Yes, it's supposed to be random! There are supposedly 33 heroes to unlock- why on earth would you want to play through the game with everything the same each time you unlock a new character??

As for the gameplay, it's been incredibly fun so far! The lane mechanic is

As for the gameplay, it's been incredibly fun so far! The lane mechanic is simple yet adds a level of depth, as does matching up strikes with stamina to stun an enemy then wail on them with another character. The characters and dialogue are charming enough for a game focused on strategy, and like others have said before it becomes much more like a rhythm game than you would imagine with the way you have to juggle characters and plan out attacks.

The best part of the game might be how it allows you to learn things beyond the basic mechanics on your own, very similar to Breath of the Wild. It's been a brutally difficult game so far, but usually not unfairly so, and even on "failed" runs you gain things like weapons you can use the in the future. For a $20 physical game, you are guaranteed to get your money's worth if you put in some effort to learn how to deal with the difficulty instead of expecting the combat, which is the core part of the game, to be a cakewalk.
  19. Mar 30, 2017
    The Critics Don't Get it

The Critics Don't Get it

This is a fantastic, highly addictive game that warrants attention from any strategy game fan. I think the negative criticism surrounding the game come from a misunderstanding of what the game is trying to be and a lack of understanding on how the game should be played. I don’t think it’s the unfair luck fest some have accused it to be, I am 15 hours in and am consistently winning or at least making it to the final boss. When I lose I understand what I did wrong and what I could have done differently. There are deeply nuanced layers of strategy here and I don’t’ think it’s a matter of getting lucky, but rather about how to best utilize the random equipment and spells that come your way. If you get this game, be willing to invest some time to understand how the strategies and game mechanics work. Be open to what the game is: a rogue-like real-time/turn-based hybrid with some rpg elements. Take caution not to jump the gun in thinking this game is just a luck fest because it’s ABSOLUTELY NOT. The payoffs this game offers when you win or when you come to a deeper understanding of how things work are second to none.
  20. Apr 3, 2017
    Steep learning curve as others have said, but when it 'clicks' it is so satisfying, the games appeal is certainly objective but I absolutely love it, there is so much to unlock, each 'run' is different and grows in difficulty as you progress.

In a week I have sunk 30-40 hours into this game, I can easily see myself surpassing 100-200 within the next few months.
  21. Mar 29, 2017
    I definitely don't get the hate for this game. It's a fantastic rougelike with some novel ideals.

Is it hard? Yes, but you can win if you *think* before doing anything. Is it unfair? As much as any rougelike. Is the tutorial crap? Well, yeah, it is actually. The most worrying thing about these hateful reviews is that it seems like many reviewers either didn't know how to play the

The most worrying thing about these hateful reviews is that it seems like many reviewers either didn't know how to play the game or didn't spend enough time with it. There is progression system in the game, you unlock new items, spells and characters every now and then. That's not good game journalism.
  22. Mar 30, 2017
    For the first 30 minutes, I felt like this game was too difficult. It wasn't until the 5th run I was able to clear the first boss. 4 more runs until I got to the first ending and unlocked my next hero. Has-Been Heroes doesn't have much of a tutorial. It doesn't hold your hand and teach you everything, but I didn't find it any harder than many games out there right now. It has a learningFor the first 30 minutes, I felt like this game was too difficult. It wasn't until the 5th run I was able to clear the first boss. 4 more runs until I got to the first ending and unlocked my next hero. Has-Been Heroes doesn't have much of a tutorial. It doesn't hold your hand and teach you everything, but I didn't find it any harder than many games out there right now. It has a learning curve, but it isn't that steep. After a couple runs, the controls become more fluid and you will learn how the heroes interact and develop strategies. With many games - you get better as you play more. This is exactly the case with HBH. I could see myself progressing farther and playing better the more I played even with the roguelike elements. You will die, that's the nature of this type of game, but you will also learn.

The low reviews from critics may be a turn off for some and that is unfortunate because the gameplay is solid. I too was hesitant on picking this game up, but do not regret it after having spent some time with it. I love the fact that this was available as a physical cartridge. The $20 price point makes it feel like a steal compared to a couple of the $50 day one titles for the Switch.
  23. Apr 11, 2017
    I read the reviews before trying this game and even though the critics gave it a 5/10 I trusted the public and bought it anyway. Definitely a good decision.

Do not buy Has-Been Heroes if you're looking for a good story, stunning graphics or amazing music. However, if you're looking for a fun, rouge-like and very strategic game you're in the right place. The critics complain that the

The critics complain that the game is too random and while the random part is true I have to disagree with them about it ruining the game. I've played through the game 6 times and completed it 3 out of those times. My first two deaths were me being a beginner and not understanding the game and the last death was by my mistake at the last boss fight. I definitely could 've won that run if I had played better.

What I'm trying to say is that even though you may not be able to win every run even while playing perfectly you can definitely win most runs if you get good at the game. And isn't dying a part of rouge like games anyway?

Has-Been Heroes has so far been fun for me but I feel like it might get a bit grindy after maybe 15-20 hours of play. Other than that it's a good well made game with a unique combat system that is very strategic. You will be spending most of your time in combat so I would recommend looking at some game play to see if you like it or not.

To the critics complaining about the difficulty I only have one thing to say.

GIT GUD
  24. Mar 30, 2017
    In this game you have 3 heroes every run which you choose before you start the game, the first three are the ones you see on the cover of the game and the rest are rewards for beating the game.
    You have a Tank that does 1 Hit with massive damage, a support that does 2 hits and does nearly no damage and a 3 hitting assassin with good damage. each hero has his starting ability.
    Each run
    Each run has a random Map, you have to plan your path beforehand to make sure you can get as many items and spells as possible before encountering the boss of that map, this feature is random and can sometimes make it easier or harder depending on your luck and also your planning.
    The game has few mechanics and if you try to power through the battles then you might succeed in few and you will barely clear the whole wave and in few battle one of your heroes will surely take the plunge and die and you will feel that the game is cheap and too hard.
    Stamina bars - most monsters have stamina bars, each hit will deplete a stamina bar and the monster won't take any damage as long as it has stamina bars(unless you use spells).
    Stunning - If you hit the monster exactly as the number of full stamina bars, it will be stunned, for example if a monster has 3 stamina bars and you use your assassin(3 Hits) he will deplete all the stamina bars and will put the monster in a Stun. Stunned Monsters take increased damage and if they are hit during a stun they will permanently lose a stamina bar and they will get knocked back usually a full screen.
    Spells and Synergy - Each hero has his own starting ability ,has attack recharge speed and his starting item that gives him certain perks like recharging your melee attack instantly when you use a spell, you need to learn to use your abilities, don't overuse them because you might need them in a pinch and they would be on cooldown but also don't leave them because they can turn the tide of battle. certain heroes synergize with each other and combining their abilities will make you deal crazy damage, like soaking a boss and then using Lightning buff on your Tank and using double attack will almost nearly one shot the boss or will deal hefty amount of damage that will surely turn the tide in your favor.
    Most reviews or players seem not to know how these mechanics work and the game didn't explain them as it should have, once you master these mechanics the game will become different, it won't feel cheap, it will be challenging but it will be in your hands how you play, sure sometimes you won't get good items and you will feel that the game is hard, but it still comes down to you and how well you play.
    I believe this game is very enjoyable and my only complaint about it is lack of variety in Monster types, maybe once I advance more I will see other monsters, because where I reached I started seeing some kind of Demons not just skeletons and I have only unlocked few heroes and still have a long way to go.
    This game is between 9 and 10 for me and for the price it most definitely is worth every penny, I can see myself spending 100 hours and if people measure it 1 hour per dollar then this game is a treasure.
    If you were interested in this game or you think this game might be for you but the reviews scared you away then I will tell you don't listen to those reviewers because they surely didn't investigate or take their time with the game, buy it and you will love it. I have played this game more than I played Zelda on my Switch and I think Zelda is amazing.
  25. Mar 31, 2017
    Dark Souls meets Final Fantasy Tactics!

Has-Been Heroes combines the difficulty and sense of accomplishment of Dark Souls with the need to always think multiple moves ahead. I have to completely disagree with the critics as well. According to the in game stats I have now put in 11 hours (3 wins, 7 losses). Once you get the hang of it, it's ridiculously addicting and really a ton of
    Dark Souls meets Final Fantasy Tactics!

I have to completely disagree with the critics as well. According to the in game stats I have now put in 11 hours (3 wins, 7 losses). Once you get the hang of it, it's ridiculously addicting and really a ton of fun.

Unlike some of the other user reviews on here I have not historically been crazy about Rogue-likes. My experience is really limited to just the original Binding of Isaac and it just never really grabbed me. That being said, since the Treehouse event when they showed off this game, I have been looking forward to it. Despite my hype for it though, I went to bed pretty disappointed with it on Tuesday night. I dig hard games but everything seemed like it was all up to luck and there was no sense of progression. The tutorial does not set you up to how you should actually be playing the game. Even 11 hours in I still learn something new every run.

Once you understand how the game is supposed to be played it becomes a deeply intricate strategy game that has you always planning 3 moves ahead (at least)! Even on a bad luck run now I usually can reach the final boss (accidental killings due to my cat unpausing the game aside) without a problem. Boss fights feel epic and the rush from finally beating one you've been stuck on results in the same awesome sensation of making it through a tough area/boss in Dark Souls. New heroes not only dramatically change up your strategy each run and since they're only unlocked from making it successfully through a complete run, earning them feels like a real accomplishment. As you progress further through the game by completing runs you unlock unique enemy types (it's not all just skeletons!) which will keep you on your toes! I have seen werewolf things, zombies that refuse to die, giant flaming lava monsters and more!

The game is not without problems for sure but they are relatively minor. The controls are quirky at times and lane switching could be simplified. I am also not sure why you can't view each character's abilities from the heroes menu (or at least I haven't figured out how to). The critics generally thought there was too much luck and randomness involved but strategy is so much more important than either of those factors.

If you like strategy games and don't mind dying a lot while you get your ropes, Has-Been Heroes is a really rewarding and fun experience. Don't be afraid to look up how to play the game the way it's intended to be played!
  26. Apr 10, 2017
    The critics have got it wrong here. This game is great! I am fairly new to the Roguelike games and I wasn't a huge fan of BoI but HBA is a fantastic game! It sucks you into that 'just one more' mindset which, personally, games rarely do these days. Yes it's a fairly difficult game but as long as you take your time and you're prepared to die a few times when beginning your journey, youThe critics have got it wrong here. This game is great! I am fairly new to the Roguelike games and I wasn't a huge fan of BoI but HBA is a fantastic game! It sucks you into that 'just one more' mindset which, personally, games rarely do these days. Yes it's a fairly difficult game but as long as you take your time and you're prepared to die a few times when beginning your journey, you should give this a go! Expand
  27. Apr 9, 2017
    After countless hours of Zelda I was looking for a game I could spend playing a little at a time (during breaks at work and such) and to my amazement this game is just what I was looking for! I do not know why the "critics" have given it such low scores. Not a single one was positive so I will give my take on it. The first hour I was skeptical. I lost a few battles and had no idea what IAfter countless hours of Zelda I was looking for a game I could spend playing a little at a time (during breaks at work and such) and to my amazement this game is just what I was looking for! I do not know why the "critics" have given it such low scores. Not a single one was positive so I will give my take on it. The first hour I was skeptical. I lost a few battles and had no idea what I was doing. Once i figured out the mechanics and unlocked my first hero I was hooked. Has Been Heroes is a little gem. The game feels like a tower defense game with strategic elements involved and then throw in multiple characters with different attributes and items and you got yourself a time waster. The learning curve is not very steep. You will lose the first few times playing through but as you unlock items the game gets progressively easier. With the serious lack of games the switch has to offer Has Been Heroes is a must try in my opinion. Expand
  28. Apr 2, 2017
    Amazing game perfect for handheld on the go. It doesn't handhold, it is unforgiving, and I love it! For a long time the challenge in games has been pushed aside, glad to see skill and learning is making a comeback. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it.
  29. Apr 3, 2017
    I cannot comprehend all of the bad reviews the critics are giving this game. It's an indie game that costs $20.... For what it's worth, it's an awesome pickup game. This game is not meant to compete with Breath of the Wild or any other AAA game yet it's being critiqued like it should be on par with those games.

On the difficulty of the game: It's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be

On the difficulty of the game: It's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be challenging. You're supposed to loose everything if you fail. It's not as devastating as people are making it seem and if you pay attention to what you're doing and how the mechanics work the game is very fun and strategic. Once you learn how your characters work together and combo to push back enemies, it's very simple and addicting.

On the randomness: Again, it's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be random. This is what makes it replay-able. You can increase your chances of having a well prepared team by the time you get to the final boss by traveling through the map in such a way that you hit as many spots as possible. This strategy gives you more money and more loot. Don't just try and race to the boss in an area. Take your time and your chances of being successful will be greater.

Overall, as I said before, this game is a great pickup game that will keep me highly entertained in between all of the AAA games people seem to crave more these days.
  30. Mar 29, 2017
    So addicted to this game. Definitely try it out if you like roguelikes and turn based games. It definitely feels like a better final fantasy style turned based game play system. Need more strategizing than twin stick shooter roguelikes
  31. Apr 2, 2017
    Hard learning curve is rewarding like the first time you played a Donkey Kong Country game.

This isn't some casual game for your grandma. Worth every penny.
  32. Apr 3, 2017
    HBH has that initial toughness that may scare people away. But the daring and challenge-curious will march on like the game's heroes to see that the princesses make it to school safely. The combination of rogue-like + turn-based + lane-combat (think PvZ) works so well with this game. And the progression is pretty much the same as other rogue-likes such as BoI - enough to make you feel likeHBH has that initial toughness that may scare people away. But the daring and challenge-curious will march on like the game's heroes to see that the princesses make it to school safely. The combination of rogue-like + turn-based + lane-combat (think PvZ) works so well with this game. And the progression is pretty much the same as other rogue-likes such as BoI - enough to make you feel like you accomplished something from your failed run. This is one of those perfect games to have digitally on a handheld (in this case, hybrid) system such as the Switch. The controls seem intuitive after spending an hour or two - and honestly makes sense if you think about how each joy-con is independent: the left joy-con controls spells/items and time while your right hand is meant to focus on timing your attacks (there is a rhythm element) and lane switching.

It's satisfying to land combos and switch lanes appropriately to get some bonus backstab damage. It's hard to explain sometimes - it just feels good. This game needs a demo so people can experience the challenge and see if they're up for it.
  33. Apr 5, 2017
    Gran juego, entretenido, buena banda sonora, buena traducción, no podrás irte a dormir sin echarte una más, dificultad endiablada y si te gustan los roguelikes este te encantará, otra cosa es que no disfrutes con este tipo de juegos, notas injustificada que supongo que vendrán dadas porque el analista de turno no le gusta el género, si podéis probarlo antes de comprarlo, pero vamos si teGran juego, entretenido, buena banda sonora, buena traducción, no podrás irte a dormir sin echarte una más, dificultad endiablada y si te gustan los roguelikes este te encantará, otra cosa es que no disfrutes con este tipo de juegos, notas injustificada que supongo que vendrán dadas porque el analista de turno no le gusta el género, si podéis probarlo antes de comprarlo, pero vamos si te gusta el género es muy probable que disfrutes como un enano. (gracias que no me dejé guiar por la mala prensa) Expand
  34. Apr 6, 2017
    I love challenge, Zelda 2 and Dark Souls are probably some of my favorite games of all time. However, people who compare it to Dark Souls are lying to you, this game is NOT skill-based but RNG-based. Roguelikes randomly generate dungeons each game, which is fine, but if the game is so brutally hard that winning comes down to a hair's breadth, that hair's breadth will purely be determinedI love challenge, Zelda 2 and Dark Souls are probably some of my favorite games of all time. However, people who compare it to Dark Souls are lying to you, this game is NOT skill-based but RNG-based. Roguelikes randomly generate dungeons each game, which is fine, but if the game is so brutally hard that winning comes down to a hair's breadth, that hair's breadth will purely be determined by luck. I don't say this game is "hard" because I'm terrible at video games and have no skill. Skill is irrelevant. Winning is based on luck. That's the problem.

The game is so brutally difficult that I simply cannot progress. I unlocked two heroes and have been stuck replaying the game over and over again for 10 hours straight with no progression at all. When you die, you start at the beginning. Meaning you can spend an hour on a run, die, and lose everything. There's some sort of "unlocks" you get each run but they're worthless.

Looking at the hero select screen, there appears to be 33 heroes you can unlock beyond the 3 you start with. I unlocked 2. And I'm stuck. I can't progress the game any further. The fact there is no progression and dying sets you all the way back, and the fact I constantly am replaying the same thing over and over again only to be set back again and again, it's too repetitive. It's repetitive beyond being fun. It's not the fun kind of challenge, it's the frustrating kind of challenge that makes you not want to play the game anymore.

The game has a lot of potential if they balance it a bit through future updates. I actually quite love the battle system, despite being incredibly repetitive with zero progression, I still put a good 10 hours into because I kept wanting to fight more battles. The art style and characters are also pretty well done.

Enemies creep from the right to the left of the screen and when they get to your heroes at the left side, they start attacking them. Some people have compared it to Plant's vs Zombies in this aspect, although this game is a bit deeper and more fun. You can switch heroes out, widdle away at their stamina to stun them, attack, cast spells, and you have the randomly generated dungeons to explore for shops and items.

Although I can't get away from how unfair this game is. If you don't get good items and spells early on to quickly do away with the enemies, the 1st or 2nd boss will simply overrun you with little guys you can't possibly defeat in time. Once you get passed them, the 3rd or 4th boss I honestly have no clue how you're even supposed to stand a chance. With incredible luck with amazing spells and items I was barely able to keep all the enemies and the boss at bay, yet the boss was still using ranged attacks to slowly drain my HP until one of my heroes died anyways.

There's a difference between a hard game and simply an unfair game. And at the $20 price tag, which is high for a small indie title, I can't actually recommend it. There are many better games out there for this price. This game was not properly playtested in my opinion. A simple balancing patch could easily bring this game from a 6/10 to an 8/10 or a 9/10. The game has great artwork, an incredibly fun battle mechanic, and decent music, but poor balancing makes it practically unplayable at a certain point.

Has-Been Heroes feels much more like an arcade game than an actual RPG. The unfair difficulty and cheap deaths just begs for an "insert quarter" screen after my team gets killed.

This game also is buggy. Constantly my camera will zoom in during an attack and fail to zoom out, and I cannot see my heroes and tell what's going on in the battle. Many times has this happened and almost made me lose in a battle.
  35. Apr 10, 2017
    A poor tutorial with even more poor design with the controls leads this to be my biggest disappointment of the year. The lack of communication in how the controls work led me to spending an hour on the tutorial and then an extra 3 hours on the first level. For a roguelike, this is probably the worst one I've ever played.
  36. Apr 3, 2017
    Its a functional turd. People giving this a 10 need to get out more. I cant possibly give this game a worse rating. I refunded in less than 90 minutes.

its COMPLETELY random. Unlocks are 100% worthless. You make NO progress unless the "random" game decides you can. No matter how "good" you are, its complete chance if you progress or wipe. I'd go on, but honestly, EGM hit the

I'd go on, but honestly, EGM hit the nail right on the head. Their review is all you need to read to understand why this game is ass.

10/10... ?? no wonder nobody takes this **** website seriously anymore.

For once the critics have this right.. this is a turd, and will QUICKLY fade into obscurity and the $.99 steam sale bin.
  37. Apr 12, 2017
    A lot of the critic reviews of this title really annoy me, it's like they don't understand what makes a good roguelike...
    Yes this game is hard, yes it requires random luck, but that's the point.
    Everytime you fail you still unlock more and more items. There is always a sense of progression. More so than binding of Isaac for example. The controls and graphics are very sharp. My main
    Yes this game is hard, yes it requires random luck, but that's the point.
    My main complaint would be the enemies mostly being skeletons is boring.
    For the price this game is very addictive, well worth a purchase, it's impressive they married the roguelike system up with a final fantasy style combat so well. 9/10
  38. Jun 6, 2017
    This game is aweful. It is turn based and has outdated gameplay style. I think there are people who would like this style of game but it definitely isn't for me.

I definitely enjoyed Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild quality type game and this isn't it - of course the price of this game is lower as well. I was forced to buy this game through a Gamestop bundle.
  39. Jun 11, 2017
    Plants VS Zombies clone done so wrong. An absolutely unfathomable control scheme makes the already difficult game a nightmare to play. I wasn't able to win a single battle after the tutorial due to how much this game throws at you without really teaching you in the first place. I bought this game about an hour after receiving my Switch and it got played and deleted faster than it took toPlants VS Zombies clone done so wrong. An absolutely unfathomable control scheme makes the already difficult game a nightmare to play. I wasn't able to win a single battle after the tutorial due to how much this game throws at you without really teaching you in the first place. I bought this game about an hour after receiving my Switch and it got played and deleted faster than it took to download. Next time I'll just flush a $20 bill down the toilet. Expand
  40. May 25, 2017
    We can't pretend that it's okay for a "learning curve" game to also be a mess. Straight away I deducted a point for the abilities that look like they were ripped from an MMO talent tree. What's all extra math doing here? Is this a paced strategy game or not? I deducted a point for the excessive floating numbers spam you would see in the average "phone rpg". Unless you still get a windsockWe can't pretend that it's okay for a "learning curve" game to also be a mess. Straight away I deducted a point for the abilities that look like they were ripped from an MMO talent tree. What's all extra math doing here? Is this a paced strategy game or not? I deducted a point for the excessive floating numbers spam you would see in the average "phone rpg". Unless you still get a windsock out of it, clear the screen and consolidate the relevant information. Much fat to trim already, but let's move on. I deducted a point for the constantly alternating between high action, and a complete pause. If, as a developer, you have to break pace to accomplish what you want to do, toss it and work something else out. Screwing with pace sucks in any game. I deducted a half point for the way that map navigation was presented. Having the heroes always sprint right- even if the map says you are heading north or otherwise- and even if the heroes are going to end up facing right anyway- was the cheapest way possible to indicate that you are moving and exploring. If that's the case, I'd have rather a few less cutscenes to develop a stronger sense of exploration. I deducted another half point for the font chosen for the dialog/etc- fat, wide and quite annoying to read. Rather careless decision here considering you have to see it all the time. Okay so this is where I'd deduct a point for the game's poor explanation of what's going on- however, it's my belief that by simply fixing all of the above, you'd be a lot closer to a game that's easy to pick up and hard to master: the holy grail of strategy/puzzle games, right? So we're at 6/10

Praises: The core ideas are good- lane-changing/combos/stamina- fresh and interesting stuff- the real payoff for indie. The art, humor and sound effects suit the game well. I don't think music is an important thing for this type of game, long as it's not annoying and we're good there. I wouldn't ask more of an indie/budget game so let's wrap it up:

Great ideas that the player should be enjoying right away, instead have the player clawing through shoddy pacing/execution and extra information just to get started. I can't give this game more than a 6/10 as is, and you gotta figure $20 is worth having to not see these common "indie" mistakes again (not discriminating- high production games carry their own infectious diseases). So we'll close at 5/10, because there are far worse and far better games out there
  41. Apr 6, 2017
    Another case of fish reviewing climbing gear. People complaining about how hard the game is, without knowing how to play, nor putting any effort of learning the mechanics.
    The game is not perfect. It has RNG moments in which you'll feel frustrated (as in any other roguelike to be honest), but the overall gameplay mechanics are absolutely fresh and genius.
    The game demands some patience,
    The game demands some patience, persistence and learning, but once you get the hang of it it's absolutely amazing.
    I found Rogue Legacy way more frustrating than this to be honest.
    If only the runs were a bit shorter it'll get more score from me, but that's just a personal taste.
  42. Apr 18, 2017
    Much better than the "critic" reviews showed it to be: I had fun while playing and I'm not a fan of rogue-like games. Still it's my go-to game for quick and short trips **** you Snake Pass, what a waste of money!).

Give HBH a chance!
  43. Nov 26, 2017
    (I could've sworn I already wrote a review for this game)

This game has SUCH potential. But it seems hidden behind a series of barriers, where the devs feel confident in projecting a message of "mad cuz bad". The difficulty curve is nice, but the game seems to not be protected against algorithms where you are literally thrown impossibly difficult scenarios. Even if you build up your
    (I could've sworn I already wrote a review for this game)

The difficulty curve is nice, but the game seems to not be protected against algorithms where you are literally thrown impossibly difficult scenarios. Even if you build up your heroes, you can be cut down by some absurdly OP, multi-hacking creep, reaping the benefits of a nearby speed aura.

The devs feel this is appropriate? Fine. Make some way to continue the game. The absolute zero restart is a cheap and unconvincing way to punish the player, and to quote PlayerEssence, it just makes you feel like they don't respect your time.

Other than that, the game is well-structured. The reward tree could throw you a bit more. I've still put an ungodly amount of time into this game.
  44. Jun 21, 2017
    The innovative controls, addictive gameplay loop, and interesting presentation of Has Been Heroes are all wasted because the game is impossible and most players won't ever get pass the second level. The difficulty can't even be attributed to the "git gud" culture and instead just feels broken and unbalanced. It's a shame because Has Been Heroes had the ingredients to be something special:The innovative controls, addictive gameplay loop, and interesting presentation of Has Been Heroes are all wasted because the game is impossible and most players won't ever get pass the second level. The difficulty can't even be attributed to the "git gud" culture and instead just feels broken and unbalanced. It's a shame because Has Been Heroes had the ingredients to be something special: hopefully they can polish the formula in a patch or sequel. Expand
  45. Aug 8, 2017
    The concept of this game is all well and good, but the execution is baffling. The difficulty spike is way too hard for any reasonable person to grasp. Anyone playing this needs to spend good, long hours trying to master the controls of this game to barely get past the first level of the game. If you say that games on the Nintendo Switch are too easy, pick this game up. If not, try lookingThe concept of this game is all well and good, but the execution is baffling. The difficulty spike is way too hard for any reasonable person to grasp. Anyone playing this needs to spend good, long hours trying to master the controls of this game to barely get past the first level of the game. If you say that games on the Nintendo Switch are too easy, pick this game up. If not, try looking for a more forgiving roguelike game like Tumbleseed. Expand
  46. Jul 13, 2017
    Although I do see the fun in this game, there are major things holding it back. First off, there are bugs on the Switch. I've had the screen locked in a zoom-in mode several times already making it very hard to play, and the game has even crashed twice now. Second, there are random jumps in difficulty in some stages where it goes from rather easy and manageable to impossible. Third,Although I do see the fun in this game, there are major things holding it back. First off, there are bugs on the Switch. I've had the screen locked in a zoom-in mode several times already making it very hard to play, and the game has even crashed twice now. Second, there are random jumps in difficulty in some stages where it goes from rather easy and manageable to impossible. Third, restarting is soooo monotonous at times. Truly burdensome to get near the end, lose to a boss, and have to start the same easy grind again until you're further in, hoping you get as lucky on good items and spells as last time. It's a $5 game at most, and they need to fix the bugs still. Expand
  47. Apr 12, 2017
    l'ho appena preso per nintendo switch e c'ho giocato per due ore di seguito. davvero bello. meccanica divertente. per chi lo valuta male perchè troppo difficile: avete provato ad usare le pozioni? magari al tempo giusto? senza pozioni è ovvio che il gioco diventi impossibile ma, se si hanno delle pozioni fin dall'inizio, serviranno pur a qualcosa ;)
  48. Apr 7, 2017
    I do not understand the press reviews of the game. They write about "no progress" but that is absolutely wrong. Sure: The Switch gets a bonus because there are not that many games and maybe I would not play this game so much on a different device. But the fact that this game is one of the best games to play in handheld mode especially when you just want to fill up 10 minutes (e.g.I do not understand the press reviews of the game. They write about "no progress" but that is absolutely wrong. Sure: The Switch gets a bonus because there are not that many games and maybe I would not play this game so much on a different device. But the fact that this game is one of the best games to play in handheld mode especially when you just want to fill up 10 minutes (e.g. train-tour) this game is pretty damn perfect.

Sure it is not a 10/10 but it does not deserve that wrong critics. I already spend about 15 hours and just unlocked three new heroes. But every match is interesting, because u find new items that you have to buy before you know their stats, you fight against new type of enemies, you can play with different heroes and every round is different because of spells and items you find. It is a perfect rogue-like. I do not agree with the argument you do not make any progress. The fact that you always unlock new kind of enemies, new stuff, sometimes new heroes make a lot of progress. Maybe the critics should spend more than two hours of testing into that game. It's a solid 8/10. Don't compare it to a zelda - but if you like rogue-like of a different kind then get it (as a physical copy).
  49. Apr 13, 2017
    Addictive, neat mechanics and pleasant art style. The 'downside' reviewers point out is mainly the difficulty. If you don't enjoy a steep learning curve just move on.
  50. Jun 6, 2017
    Has-Been Heroes is a super solid rogue-like that deserves a look from anyone who is into the genre, or is looking for something that is addictive and will soak up a lot of your time on your newly purchased Switch. The game does have it's short-comings as it has quite a steep learning curve and no real good way to learn the mechanics beyond trial and error. Also, the slow, plodding natureHas-Been Heroes is a super solid rogue-like that deserves a look from anyone who is into the genre, or is looking for something that is addictive and will soak up a lot of your time on your newly purchased Switch. The game does have it's short-comings as it has quite a steep learning curve and no real good way to learn the mechanics beyond trial and error. Also, the slow, plodding nature of progress is barely noticed, making for a frustrating game at times. However, the game displays fun gameplay, and some cool ideas, that are worth a shot. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys games like The Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy, but remember this game really doesn't hit that level of precision, or greatness. Expand
  51. Sep 1, 2017
    After hours of playing and enjoying my (failed) runs, I finally get a good combination of skills and items and the game starts clicking. A new boss I've never seen appears at the end, and now that I've gotten the hang of the game, I beat him fairly easily. I check the clock, and its 2am and I've been playing all night. This is the type of strategy rogue-like I love. Brutal at times, veryAfter hours of playing and enjoying my (failed) runs, I finally get a good combination of skills and items and the game starts clicking. A new boss I've never seen appears at the end, and now that I've gotten the hang of the game, I beat him fairly easily. I check the clock, and its 2am and I've been playing all night. This is the type of strategy rogue-like I love. Brutal at times, very strategic, lots of luck, but lots of fun! If you struggle at first, just remember to pause a lot, take down stamina bars exactly and then hit with your hardest hitter. rinse. repeat. use spells. Highly recommend this roguelike. I am at Hyrule Castle in BOTW but haven't picked it back up in days since I got this game, and that is saying something!

UPDATE: I play this game so much still. Even when your run is bad, it's a satisfying game with the mechanics at play. I liken it a bit to the original plants vs. zombies -- in a way it's a tower defense game. Great game, under-rated!
  52. Oct 16, 2017
    Primero de todo, tengo que comentar lo increíble que me parecen los análisis de la prensa, es completamente inadmisible como han criticado a este juego tan magnífico, ya sea por desconocimiento del género o por que directamente son unos mancos lloricas sin sesera que solo les divierte apretar botones como un mono sin dificultad alguna.

Después del rageo justificado comentare que el

Después del rageo justificado comentare que el juego me parece genial, soy de echarle muchas horas a los rogue-like y este sin duda no defrauda, lo tiene todo, te hará pensar cada movimiento, cada compra que hagas, cada pelea, y tendrás que aprender a utilizar las cosas en su momento adecuado. Realmente tiene una dificultad elevada, por lo tanto, si no te gustan los retos este juego no es para ti, llorarás y no entenderás nada, vuelve al COD y olvida Has-Been Heroes, no es para ti, si por el contrario te gusta un juego que te haga pensar y ser activo mentalmente este cumple con creces y, si consigues cogerle el punto te tendrá atrapado durante horas, morirás y querrás seguir intentándolo. He leído en varios foros que el combate no es intuitivo... Nada mas empezar sale una imagen indicando como se debe pelear, es casi como sumar 1+1, así de sencillo, no le vi la dificultad en ningún momento, las dos primeras run las pude completar sin problemas (de ahí en adelante empezó a ponerse interesante y más difícil), otra queja común son los controles :/, son tan sencillos que me hace gracia cuando leo que son malos o cualquier idiotez por el estilo.

Quiero animar a todos los que le guste el género a que le den una oportunidad, a mi me echaba muy para atrás las duras críticas de la prensa pero me pare a pensar que la mayoría de la humanidad tiene la cabeza hecha puré y decidí comprarlo (por el precio que tiene no hay ni que pensárselo!), la sorpresa fue más que satisfactoria, ya le he echado 40 horas y no cabe duda de que le echare muchas más.
  53. Jul 17, 2017
    I got this game pre-packaged on my switch.

I got this game pre-packaged on my switch.

For a rogue-lite, its not bad. Plenty of items and spells to unlock, a bunch of hidden characters to get, and some decent variety in enemies. The game isn't that difficult to control or figure out. The learning curve definitely isn't impossible, as tricky as it may seem at first. Once it clicks in your mind you'll be beating level after level in no time.

The problems come at a technical level. Throughout my 5-10 hours of play, I have encountered many glitches in the switch version. The biggest one being the camera zooming in so far that I can no longer see any of the action happening. There's no way to fix this, and it ultimately leads to a run ending unceremoniously, which can be especially frustrating the later on in the run I get, and on particularly good runs as well. There seriously needs to be an update patch that keeps that from happening!

Overall, its not the best game I've ever played, nor the best strategy rogue-lite/like I've ever played, but it gets the job done and is thoroughly entertaining.
  54. Jan 18, 2018
    A shallow purchase I made on the first months of the Switch's lifetime, where if you had already beaten BOTW there wasn't a lot to do. The game is not bad, mechanically, it's just not compelling enough to merit the grind. I would not recommend it.
  55. Jul 9, 2018
    Definitely a underrated game.
    This game is perfect for a handhold platform that you may pick up anytime to kill a bunch of skeletons and put down whenever you want.
    I don't understand why the critics gave this game so low scores. Maybe they just didn't have time to dig deep enough to reach the really fun core of this game. The learning curve of this game may be a bit steep, and it took
    Definitely a underrated game.
    The learning curve of this game may be a bit steep, and it took some time for me to get used to the some-what strange way of controlling. But once you've overcome that certain point, this game shows a broad beautiful picture, delicately designed battle system, randomly generated maps worth replaying again and again, tons of elements to unlock.
    Now I've already invested couples of hours in this game, and I've got still lots of things to explore. Just can't stop once starting playing. This is the perfect game while commuting.
    8 score for the base game, and +1 for its price and being underrated.
  56. Sep 20, 2019
    Has-Been Heroes is an action roguelike strategy game developed by Frozenbyte and published by GameTrust.

Has-Been Heroes is like no other game I have played before. The best way to describe it is it reminds me of The Darkest Dungeon. The reason for this is the fact that if anyone of your party members die, you have to start all over again. And you will die a lot in this game. At first this can be annoying, but once you get over it, the game becomes almost addicting. I found my self saying, just one more play through....five hours later I am still playing.

The story of the game is rather simple. A rogue is on her way to the castle hoping to run into the heroes of legend. The warrior and wizard have been summoned to the castle for a task ordered by the King. Of course the rogue meets up with the has-been heroes and they agree to allow her to join them. The King then tasks the heroes with escorting his daughters to school, as the road there has been crawling with monsters. So the five of them set off on their journey to the school. Along the way an evil spirit sets loose many monsters to attack the Has-Been Heroes and thus the game begins.

Each area is procedurally generated and the game starts off with only two areas to conquer. The goal of said area is to reach the boss and defeat him. Along the way you can run into merchants, camps, spell vendors, and treasure boxes. Each of these will have random items you can buy or find. Collecting said items can help you survive the many battles that you will have along your path to the boss. Once you reach and defeat the boss in an area, another area opens up and you guessed it another boss to kill. If you are successful in defeating both bosses the game ends and starts over from the beginning. This can also happen if any of the three party members die during your travels. Yup, you only get one life and once you die the game starts all over again losing all spells and items. A fresh start to say the least. This may sound annoying, but like I said before once you die the first time or beat the first two bosses you quickly understand what Has-Been Heroes is all about.

Tactics and strategy is the heart of this game. Plan your moves wisely, and take full advantage of the pause button. See, during any battle with the many enemies you can encounter or bosses you can fight, the combat is simple. The rogue gets three hits, wizard two hits, and warrior one hit. Of course the warrior is the strongest of the three and hits pretty hard. But items can help raise the damage of the other two party members. The interesting thing about the combat is when one party member attacks the game pauses, letting you switch party members and move them around the three lanes. How this helps is knowing the enemies that are attacking you down those three lanes. It is very similar to Planets vs Zombies. Enemies attack down all three lanes, and you can move your party members depending on which ever enemy is closest. But the strategy is to match the party member with the enemy of similar stamina. Monster's can have a range of stamina from one point to five points. What you want to do is switch around your party members to knock out the stamina matching their attack number and then switching in another party member to deliver the final blow. If done correctly, you can combine some deadly combos this way. So it is always best to plan your moves and attacks. Of course the game doesn't make this easy. It throws in some randomness to make things harder and thus ends up with you dying a lot.

Though dying is ok in this game, whether you die or defeat all the bosses your reward is unlocking more Heroes, Items, Monsters, and Areas. To unlock these you must collect souls, and souls are only collected by fighting the battles in an area. So if you mess up or the RNG is unfair, the souls you collected are totaled up and you see what you have unlocked. Starting over from the beginning is not so bad, because now you have more chances of getting better items in which you just unlocked during your next play through. It is hard to describe, but once you play this game it can become very hard to put down. You'll always end up saying to your self, just one more time and then before you know it five hours have past.

At first glance it may seems there is not much to this game. Go through random areas, fight monsters, collect souls, die or defeat all the bosses and then rinse and repeat. But the more you unlock, the cooler the items become and monsters you fight. Adding to the challenge of the game.

Conclusion:

Overall the game is fun and can get pretty addicting at times. I found it hard to put down once I picked it up. But the RNG can be very unfair at times and can leave you demoralized. I really liked the combat style, it is unlike any I have seen before. If you are looking for a roguelike strategy tactics game, then pick up Has-Been Heroes.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 13, 2017
    Has Been Heroes is a tough game and not for everyone. The longer you play, the more items and stuff you will get. But you will suffer. Just hang in there and keep playing.
  2. Apr 21, 2017
    Has-Been Heroes is a brilliant idea that overreached itself in difficulty. A mix of incredibly complex strategy, RNG, weak tutorials, poor UI explanations, and a limp story drag a strong concept into the mud. If you’re patient, skilled, and attentive, you might be able to master the core concepts of Has-Been Heroes and relish the goodness hidden beneath the bad design choices. But had I not been reviewing the game, I would have been done after just a few hours. I just don’t like skeletons that much.
  3. Apr 18, 2017
    Has-Been Heroes is a solid tower defense experience that borrows attributes from Plants vs Zombies, while putting its own twist on the formula. Plenty of repetition and frustration - exacerbated by too many randomized elements - but the addictive and enduring gameplay shines through on occasion.