7.2

1. Apr 13, 2017
    For the price, this game is pretty amazing. It has a pretty steep learning curve, and could use a better tutorial. Once you figure out whats going on and get into a rhythm, the game really starts to shine. It seems like they've put in more tutorial elements into the game since it started. Very solid game for 20 bucks.
  2. May 21, 2017
    I have put about 30 hours into HBH and have unlocked the first 9 characters. The official reviewers of this game did a horrible job of reviewing it. HBH is fun, fast, addictive and requires a bit of thinking, planning and understanding of the game's mechanics. The game is not hard, necessariy. Once you unlock more spells and items you are open to more strategies in how to attack, andI have put about 30 hours into HBH and have unlocked the first 9 characters. The official reviewers of this game did a horrible job of reviewing it. HBH is fun, fast, addictive and requires a bit of thinking, planning and understanding of the game's mechanics. The game is not hard, necessariy. Once you unlock more spells and items you are open to more strategies in how to attack, and defend against, enemies. In the beginning I was swarmed with enemies and died. Now, I rarely die unless it is a tough boss battle--this is due to learning the game mechanics and unlocking new spells and items (which you get as you play, buy them, die and unlock more). I highly recommend this game. It is such a great buy--one that I almost didn't purchase due to the harsh critic reviews. Some complain about the weak tutorial. Well, do what I did-google search HBH play tips before buying. Again, fantastic and fun game that is worth your time and money. Enjoy! Expand
  3. May 7, 2017
    It's a very good game. Take the negative critic score with a grain of salt, the sample size is low, and the user reviews will provide a more well rounded analysis. It's a roguelike. If you don't like difficult games, you won't like this. You will lose a lot before you win, and after you win, you basically repeat the same gameplay experience with unlockable spells, items, new heroes, andIt's a very good game. Take the negative critic score with a grain of salt, the sample size is low, and the user reviews will provide a more well rounded analysis. It's a roguelike. If you don't like difficult games, you won't like this. You will lose a lot before you win, and after you win, you basically repeat the same gameplay experience with unlockable spells, items, new heroes, and new bosses and levels.

Figure out the combat! It will take time, but the payoff is sweet.

Very few cons to this game, excellent for the price, replayability is either extremely high or extremely low based on how much a player likes repetitive battles and bosses with only unlocks and difficulty increasing.

Definitely get this game!
  4. Apr 8, 2017
    This game is an absolute blast, it's so disappointing that critics of today have gotten so lazy that they couldn't even spend an hour or two trying to figure out game mechanics.

It is a very good tactiacal action RPG I would've given it a 8/10 but just to counter lazy ass critics I am giving this a 10/10.
  5. May 23, 2017
    This is one of the best games I've ever played, and it's at a 52 on Metacritic.

Tragic. Partly this is because the reviews were done before a Day One Patch dropped the difficulty, and partly it's because the reviewers were embarrassingly incompetent. This is a game that rewards investment and pays deep dividends for climbing the learning curve. Yeah, the game is hard. It's also
    This is one of the best games I've ever played, and it's at a 52 on Metacritic.

Tragic.

This is a game that rewards investment and pays deep dividends for climbing the learning curve. Yeah, the game is hard. It's also EXTREMELY rich and worthwhile.

IGN, for example, wrote a review without completing a single run. That would be equivalent to reviewing Dark Souls 3 without finishing the tutorial boss. They effectively didn't play the game they were reviewing.

If you've read this far in my review, spend the $20 and get this amazing game. Persevere. It's *worth it*.

Pro tip (you'll thank me later): Candles are spent on *edges*, not *nodes*.

You're welcome.
  6. Aug 10, 2017
    This game is original, fun to play and totally worth $20.

I have over 25 hours of gameplay in this game so far. Its been an addiction and I can't stop playing. This is the game I want to play all the time on my Switch. I was hesitant to get this because of the negative review, but I am SO HAPPY i disregarded them. The artwork is great, the strategy is solid. It takes all my brain
    This game is original, fun to play and totally worth $20.

The artwork is great, the strategy is solid. It takes all my brain power to actually play this game, which is very welcoming for an experienced gamer like me. The controls still aren't 100% 2nd nature yet, but I have no real alternatives for suggestions, so I'm fine with it. Not sure how else you are going to control 3 lanes other than mapping them to 3 buttons.

So the rest of this review is defensive. But it has to be given the lower score. It makes me sad because these low reviews are THE REASON games don't experiment too much these days and typically play things safe. For the sake of the industry I'm going to defend this game.

I am floored at how many reviews I've read where they haven't even beat the game and criticize it. Learn how to play a game before you review it, seriously (yes, even IGN)! I think game review sites are starting to have more and more newbies writing reviews, or they are just getting too corporate and want to get the reviews out the door. ITS TRAGIC because this game is really great. I think there are a lot of people writing reviews on this that don't even like the genre or didn't actually take the time to fully learn the mechanics and strategy.

For instance, I read one review, and they guy said you couldn't see the information on stuff before you picked it up, but could on the PC. NOT TRUE! You can't see info on items you get for the FIRST TIME because you don't know what it is, which is kind of cool. Then, FOREVER. You can see the info before you pick it up. GUYS, come on! Learn games before you review them.

Maybe I just grew up in a time when games had no real tutorials, but I'm fine with this game not teaching me and letting me slowly figure things out. Its fun. This game is fun and its great quality. I think maybe its too smart for most people, or people are just impatient and have too many games to play now a days to relax and learn?

People say this is a "Plants vs Zombies" clone. Give me a break! Its not even the same thing by FAR. PVZ is tower defense. This is NOT tower defense. Where are my towers? I have CHARACTERS that move back and forth. Do they think its like PVZ because it has lanes? So do many other games (with that definition, is this a Subway Surfers clone too?). Is this like PVZ because it has undead? So do many other games. Maybe Has Been Heroes has some influence from PVZ on their art? Who knows, but I'm fine with that. I love PVZ art, its great and fun just like this game.
    Seriously, most of these reviewers are immature and too quick to judge. This game really isn't like PVZ at all and I can't believe how many times I've read that.

People get upset that they die? Boohoo. You unlock stuff when you die and start over. Its all on your head, dummies. You aren't really dead, you keep the same characters and go on another adventure with new stuff. Its fun! And each time you beat the game you unlock more heroes! I'm sorry you can't get over your ego enough to think you should be alive at all times in all games, or somehow its not fun for you because you don't win 100% of the time.

Buy this game if you like a strategic challenge, fantasy setting and are mature enough of a gamer that many games now a days feel too easy. This game is really rewarding if you take the time to learn it. Its not impossibly hard, you just have to think. Every time I lose, I get what I could have done better (though occasionally I get a really really bad role, but thats interesting too) .

This game is polished, original, done really well and totally worth $20. I mostly love it because its not like anything i've played and thats the reason we play games, is for new experiences.
  7. Apr 10, 2017
    Yes, this game might be quite challenging and not for everyone, but that is what draws me back to it again and again, even-though i'm not the biggest fan of 'rouge-likes'. The mechanics, once gotten used to, are superb and so unique. I don't see why or how it's got such a low score. It's perfect for the Switch as a pick up and play game. When you pull off combos with your characters usingYes, this game might be quite challenging and not for everyone, but that is what draws me back to it again and again, even-though i'm not the biggest fan of 'rouge-likes'. The mechanics, once gotten used to, are superb and so unique. I don't see why or how it's got such a low score. It's perfect for the Switch as a pick up and play game. When you pull off combos with your characters using the lane swaps and the stamina mechanics in place, this game is one of the most satisfying moments I've had experiencing a game. But don't get me wrong, it is brutal. One slip or miss-pressed button can cost you a whole run, which can be also some of the most frustrating times of gaming recently, however you learn from your mistakes and the game grows stronger as when you die, you gain new unlocks that can be found in game depending on how many souls you've collecting, thus improving future runs. It is a must buy for me on a Switch. 10/10 Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2017
    Is the game hard? Yes.
    Is the game's RNG sometime's unfair? Like any good rogue-like, yes.
    Is the game good? No, it's GREAT. I cannot believe critics who played for so little time gave such low scores. Although the game does not offer much in terms of early tutorial or hand holding, it has a very rewarding system. The more you play, the more diverse gameplay becomes as you unlock
    Is the game hard? Yes.
    Is the game's RNG sometime's unfair? Like any good rogue-like, yes.
    Is the game good? No, it's GREAT.

I cannot believe critics who played for so little time gave such low scores. Although the game does not offer much in terms of early tutorial or hand holding, it has a very rewarding system. The more you play, the more diverse gameplay becomes as you unlock hundreds of different spells, items, enemies and a dozen characters with unique passive abilities.

I consider it a mix of rhythm game + timed turn based combat in a rogue-like frame. Do not listen to "professional" reviews. The game is fairly priced, has extensive content to unlock and is a great port on the Switch. The simple visuals are still great and the load times are incredibly fast, making it easy to pick up and play "just one last round", even more so on the go.

GREATLY recommended.
  9. Apr 27, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't be discouraged by some reviews. After few days of playing (beaten the game twice) and lost to the last boss (>1 hour) only because I ignored the self damage inflicted by my own fire spell (I was crushing the boss with spells). Stupid mistakes, man that was Intense, should I start again? I decided to make an account to comment.

I read IGN, Metacritic reviews before I decided to trust fellow gamers and give it a go. Careful planning leading to perfect combo. Rushing enemies constantly trying to scratch your heroes. Dilemma of Ice then break ice, lose all your armor breaking effort or fire stun but burn you hero to knock it back. Each attack follows with split second decision making.

Monitoring three lanes. Enemies running fast or slow, in front or behind. Enemies with ridiculous armor. Enemies channeling. Each item, each spell need to be carefully collected by suitable hero. There are always new spells and items makes it exciting to find out if you made the right choice purely based on their icons.

Oh, did I mention no save. Like others said, I clicked after my second run. if planing is not your thing, it might take you longer to enjoy this game. I usually hate games with too many items or spells. In this game, they are interesting because they are gonna help you at the end of your hour long journey, so you would read them really carefully.

I love this game, I can already imagine myself hating my mistakes in late game and I only done beaten it twice (7 times you get a proper ending I heard, but each time you beat the game, next time you have one more world/boss added to the journey to beat).

I give it 9 because I know I will hate myself with my mistakes in late game. And there is no save. You need patience to like this game, you need even more skills to beat the game. It's satisfying to beat the game, more rewarding late game because you know you are a bad ass combo/spell/item master! =)
  10. May 29, 2017
    Critic reviews completely off base. Game was hard at first but with some time you figure out the mechanics and nuances and it becomes incredibly enjoyable and addictive. Have spent 50 hours with the game and still discovering tricks especially as you unlock items/spells. There is a component of RNG but that makes each run different based on what items/spells you pick up, and has not heldCritic reviews completely off base. Game was hard at first but with some time you figure out the mechanics and nuances and it becomes incredibly enjoyable and addictive. Have spent 50 hours with the game and still discovering tricks especially as you unlock items/spells. There is a component of RNG but that makes each run different based on what items/spells you pick up, and has not held me back from now clearing up to the 8th (final) map before unlocking the second set of heroes.

Belongs in a Switch game library. Easy to pick up/play and saves progress immediately if you go play something else.

Critics need to re-visit this game and give developers their due.
  11. Mar 28, 2017
    Ok, let's talk about "Has Been Heroes," the new Roguelike available on the Switch (and most other platforms)...
    I'm trying to remember the last time I disagreed with the critics to this degree. I think it was Skyward Sword, though that was in the opposite direction. I hated that steaming pile of motion-control crap, but the critics gave it a 93! Crazy... But this game, "Has Been Heroes" is GREAT (I think), but the critics have given it a 59/100, though (oddly) that average does not include a couple of quite positive reviews of 7.5 and 8 out of 10.
    Anyway, I'm honestly confused. Most of the negative reviews cite things that are essential to roguelikes...permadeath, masochistic difficulty, turn-based, fanatsy-tropes, and randomly generated levels. I'd say that they just don't "get" or enjoy roguelikes, but critics have been quite kind to Darkest Dungeon (an alright though severely flawed gem in my opinion) and other modern roguelikes.
    Anyway, I'm not saying "Has Been Heroes" is perfect, but it's a wonderful roguelike. I can't put it down. It's cutting into my Ringed City Spring Break plans...but I'm ok with that :)
    My Rating: 8/10
  12. Mar 28, 2017
    I really dont know why this game receives a 59/100, I really like this game and i just have like 2 hours playing it, the critic mentions things like "The difficulty is insane" or "Deppending on the run you will win or die" But all of that is what you expect for a Rogue-like game, And yep, your chances to win are based on the random luck (and of course a bit of skill) But i don't see this aI really dont know why this game receives a 59/100, I really like this game and i just have like 2 hours playing it, the critic mentions things like "The difficulty is insane" or "Deppending on the run you will win or die" But all of that is what you expect for a Rogue-like game, And yep, your chances to win are based on the random luck (and of course a bit of skill) But i don't see this a problem, i mean, The Binding of Isaac is like that, i still enjoy it and i remember a 86/100 from the critic.
    I think it's a really good Rogue-like game, with a really cool mechanic and a cheap price.
  13. Mar 29, 2017
    At its best moments, Has Been Heroes' (HBH) frantic gameplay evokes feelings usually found in intense puzzle and rhythm games. It feels really great when you fully understand the system and begin to effectively combo your way through hoards of enemies. The satisfaction that comes with systematically dismantling an overwhelming undead offensive is the game's greatest reward.

Let's talk

Let's talk about the controls: While there are a few odd choices that can be hard to keep track of at first (such as the independent movement of character and spell cursors), the lane-based primary control scheme is one of my favorite features of the game. Once you adjust to the controls, quickly chaining attacks feels a lot like a rhythm game in its tactile pleasure.

Still, I've seen many complaints that HBH's controls are difficult and awkward. After playing the game for a couple of days, I began to wonder how much of this feeling is unique to the experience of playing the game with Joycon in handheld mode. Most of my playtime has been spent using a Pro Controller. I have found it quite helpful for finding a grove while playing through intense combat encounters. The break in flow that I feel when playing the game in handheld mode is my largest complaint about the game. Still, this is more of an issue with the varied nature of Switch hardware than it is with the controls themselves.

I get the impression that this is going to be a love-it-or-hate-it game for most people. If you consider yourself a fan of roguelikes, don't be afraid to snap this one up for $20.
  14. Mar 29, 2017
    This game is actually really good. Chances are you've seen the critic reviews that are... mixed to say the least. Look at them carefully. From what I've read the complaints fall into three main categories:

1. Most enemies are just skeletons. This is fair. You do see some variety, but most are just skeletons in different costumes. This can be cute at times, but I definitely agree more variety would have been nice.
    2. The game doesn't do a good job of teaching you the rules. This is true. They have added tips to the home page which may help, and the tutorial tries to teach you what you need to know... much like Dark Souls did, but it appears to not have been enough. If you get into the game, I recommend you watch a video or look up explaining how it works - namely about the stamina system. That or have a friend to give you the quick rundown.
    3. It's impossibly hard/lacks progression/randomized. Look, do you like rogueli(k/t)es? If you're here, the answer is probably yes. You've maybe played Binding of Isaac, FTL, or Necrodancer. If you are used to the roguelite experience, I can tell you that this isn't any different from those. Yes, it's hard, but I think part of it is reviewers honestly not understanding the game because of point 2. Yes, whenever you start a new game, you start it fresh, but you've unlocked new items similar to BoI, so there is progression in that sense. Yes, it's randomized, but it feels like other roguelikes where sometimes RNG blesses or curses you, but you should be able to make the most out of bad situations.

So if you're reading this review, debating if you're on the edge, look at the critic's reviews and ask "does what they just complained about apply to all other roguelites?" If so, then disregard that complaint. If you like roguelites, then you'll probably like this game as long as you're willing to go online to understand the system a bit better than the game teaches you (but personally, I remember looking at wiki pages for all other roguelites I've played).

It definitely has flaws: the elements of stories and the characters you unlock could be better presented. Enemies could be more diverse. But it is very fun and addicting which is what you want from roguelites. It's not remotely as hard as reviewers made it out. I won the first two games I played, lost the third, won the fourth. (it is like Binding of Isaac in that 'winning' becomes harder as the dungeon gets longer once you've won before)
  15. Mar 28, 2017
    I'm absolutely loving this game so far. All of the complaints that are listed in every negative review are things that I find to be the backbone of the rogue-like genre. Your chances of success are largely based on random luck. For instance, you may spend all of your money and get skills that just simply aren't good. That is the case in many of my favorite games. Darkest Dungeon, BindingI'm absolutely loving this game so far. All of the complaints that are listed in every negative review are things that I find to be the backbone of the rogue-like genre. Your chances of success are largely based on random luck. For instance, you may spend all of your money and get skills that just simply aren't good. That is the case in many of my favorite games. Darkest Dungeon, Binding of Isaac and Dungeon of the Endless are all heavily influenced by luck and random chance. All three of those games have huge appeal for me. Many of the legitimate complaints have already been corrected in a day one patch. The most helpful change that was made in the patch is that the game now automatically pauses after each attack. This was something that just about every reviewer asked for. All in all, I'm very happy with my experience so far. Definitely worth the $20. Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2017
    Don't listen to the nonsense. This isn't a AAA, 50-60 hours epic, but it is a really great game melding elements of tower defense, rogue, and old-school turn based RPGS. I am enjoying it a great deal. For $20 I promise you it is a great addition to your library.
  17. Mar 31, 2017
    It's embarrassing that there are people giving this a low score because they don't understand what a roguelike game is. Yes, it's supposed to be random! There are supposedly 33 heroes to unlock- why on earth would you want to play through the game with everything the same each time you unlock a new character??

As for the gameplay, it's been incredibly fun so far! The lane mechanic is

As for the gameplay, it's been incredibly fun so far! The lane mechanic is simple yet adds a level of depth, as does matching up strikes with stamina to stun an enemy then wail on them with another character. The characters and dialogue are charming enough for a game focused on strategy, and like others have said before it becomes much more like a rhythm game than you would imagine with the way you have to juggle characters and plan out attacks.

The best part of the game might be how it allows you to learn things beyond the basic mechanics on your own, very similar to Breath of the Wild. It's been a brutally difficult game so far, but usually not unfairly so, and even on "failed" runs you gain things like weapons you can use the in the future. For a $20 physical game, you are guaranteed to get your money's worth if you put in some effort to learn how to deal with the difficulty instead of expecting the combat, which is the core part of the game, to be a cakewalk.
  18. Mar 30, 2017
    The Critics Don't Get it

The Critics Don't Get it

This is a fantastic, highly addictive game that warrants attention from any strategy game fan. I think the negative criticism surrounding the game come from a misunderstanding of what the game is trying to be and a lack of understanding on how the game should be played. I don’t think it’s the unfair luck fest some have accused it to be, I am 15 hours in and am consistently winning or at least making it to the final boss. When I lose I understand what I did wrong and what I could have done differently. There are deeply nuanced layers of strategy here and I don’t’ think it’s a matter of getting lucky, but rather about how to best utilize the random equipment and spells that come your way. If you get this game, be willing to invest some time to understand how the strategies and game mechanics work. Be open to what the game is: a rogue-like real-time/turn-based hybrid with some rpg elements. Take caution not to jump the gun in thinking this game is just a luck fest because it’s ABSOLUTELY NOT. The payoffs this game offers when you win or when you come to a deeper understanding of how things work are second to none.
  19. Apr 3, 2017
    Steep learning curve as others have said, but when it 'clicks' it is so satisfying, the games appeal is certainly objective but I absolutely love it, there is so much to unlock, each 'run' is different and grows in difficulty as you progress.

In a week I have sunk 30-40 hours into this game, I can easily see myself surpassing 100-200 within the next few months.
  20. Mar 29, 2017
    I definitely don't get the hate for this game. It's a fantastic rougelike with some novel ideals.

Is it hard? Yes, but you can win if you *think* before doing anything. Is it unfair? As much as any rougelike. Is the tutorial crap? Well, yeah, it is actually. The most worrying thing about these hateful reviews is that it seems like many reviewers either didn't know how to play the

The most worrying thing about these hateful reviews is that it seems like many reviewers either didn't know how to play the game or didn't spend enough time with it. There is progression system in the game, you unlock new items, spells and characters every now and then. That's not good game journalism.
  21. Mar 30, 2017
    For the first 30 minutes, I felt like this game was too difficult. It wasn't until the 5th run I was able to clear the first boss. 4 more runs until I got to the first ending and unlocked my next hero. Has-Been Heroes doesn't have much of a tutorial. It doesn't hold your hand and teach you everything, but I didn't find it any harder than many games out there right now. It has a learningFor the first 30 minutes, I felt like this game was too difficult. It wasn't until the 5th run I was able to clear the first boss. 4 more runs until I got to the first ending and unlocked my next hero. Has-Been Heroes doesn't have much of a tutorial. It doesn't hold your hand and teach you everything, but I didn't find it any harder than many games out there right now. It has a learning curve, but it isn't that steep. After a couple runs, the controls become more fluid and you will learn how the heroes interact and develop strategies. With many games - you get better as you play more. This is exactly the case with HBH. I could see myself progressing farther and playing better the more I played even with the roguelike elements. You will die, that's the nature of this type of game, but you will also learn.

The low reviews from critics may be a turn off for some and that is unfortunate because the gameplay is solid. I too was hesitant on picking this game up, but do not regret it after having spent some time with it. I love the fact that this was available as a physical cartridge. The $20 price point makes it feel like a steal compared to a couple of the $50 day one titles for the Switch.
  22. Mar 30, 2017
    In this game you have 3 heroes every run which you choose before you start the game, the first three are the ones you see on the cover of the game and the rest are rewards for beating the game.
    You have a Tank that does 1 Hit with massive damage, a support that does 2 hits and does nearly no damage and a 3 hitting assassin with good damage. each hero has his starting ability.
    Each run
    Each run has a random Map, you have to plan your path beforehand to make sure you can get as many items and spells as possible before encountering the boss of that map, this feature is random and can sometimes make it easier or harder depending on your luck and also your planning.
    The game has few mechanics and if you try to power through the battles then you might succeed in few and you will barely clear the whole wave and in few battle one of your heroes will surely take the plunge and die and you will feel that the game is cheap and too hard.
    Stamina bars - most monsters have stamina bars, each hit will deplete a stamina bar and the monster won't take any damage as long as it has stamina bars(unless you use spells).
    Stunning - If you hit the monster exactly as the number of full stamina bars, it will be stunned, for example if a monster has 3 stamina bars and you use your assassin(3 Hits) he will deplete all the stamina bars and will put the monster in a Stun. Stunned Monsters take increased damage and if they are hit during a stun they will permanently lose a stamina bar and they will get knocked back usually a full screen.
    Spells and Synergy - Each hero has his own starting ability ,has attack recharge speed and his starting item that gives him certain perks like recharging your melee attack instantly when you use a spell, you need to learn to use your abilities, don't overuse them because you might need them in a pinch and they would be on cooldown but also don't leave them because they can turn the tide of battle. certain heroes synergize with each other and combining their abilities will make you deal crazy damage, like soaking a boss and then using Lightning buff on your Tank and using double attack will almost nearly one shot the boss or will deal hefty amount of damage that will surely turn the tide in your favor.
    Most reviews or players seem not to know how these mechanics work and the game didn't explain them as it should have, once you master these mechanics the game will become different, it won't feel cheap, it will be challenging but it will be in your hands how you play, sure sometimes you won't get good items and you will feel that the game is hard, but it still comes down to you and how well you play.
    I believe this game is very enjoyable and my only complaint about it is lack of variety in Monster types, maybe once I advance more I will see other monsters, because where I reached I started seeing some kind of Demons not just skeletons and I have only unlocked few heroes and still have a long way to go.
    This game is between 9 and 10 for me and for the price it most definitely is worth every penny, I can see myself spending 100 hours and if people measure it 1 hour per dollar then this game is a treasure.
    If you were interested in this game or you think this game might be for you but the reviews scared you away then I will tell you don't listen to those reviewers because they surely didn't investigate or take their time with the game, buy it and you will love it. I have played this game more than I played Zelda on my Switch and I think Zelda is amazing.
  23. Mar 31, 2017
    Dark Souls meets Final Fantasy Tactics!

Has-Been Heroes combines the difficulty and sense of accomplishment of Dark Souls with the need to always think multiple moves ahead. I have to completely disagree with the critics as well. According to the in game stats I have now put in 11 hours (3 wins, 7 losses). Once you get the hang of it, it's ridiculously addicting and really a ton of
    Dark Souls meets Final Fantasy Tactics!

I have to completely disagree with the critics as well. According to the in game stats I have now put in 11 hours (3 wins, 7 losses). Once you get the hang of it, it's ridiculously addicting and really a ton of fun.

Unlike some of the other user reviews on here I have not historically been crazy about Rogue-likes. My experience is really limited to just the original Binding of Isaac and it just never really grabbed me. That being said, since the Treehouse event when they showed off this game, I have been looking forward to it. Despite my hype for it though, I went to bed pretty disappointed with it on Tuesday night. I dig hard games but everything seemed like it was all up to luck and there was no sense of progression. The tutorial does not set you up to how you should actually be playing the game. Even 11 hours in I still learn something new every run.

Once you understand how the game is supposed to be played it becomes a deeply intricate strategy game that has you always planning 3 moves ahead (at least)! Even on a bad luck run now I usually can reach the final boss (accidental killings due to my cat unpausing the game aside) without a problem. Boss fights feel epic and the rush from finally beating one you've been stuck on results in the same awesome sensation of making it through a tough area/boss in Dark Souls. New heroes not only dramatically change up your strategy each run and since they're only unlocked from making it successfully through a complete run, earning them feels like a real accomplishment. As you progress further through the game by completing runs you unlock unique enemy types (it's not all just skeletons!) which will keep you on your toes! I have seen werewolf things, zombies that refuse to die, giant flaming lava monsters and more!

The game is not without problems for sure but they are relatively minor. The controls are quirky at times and lane switching could be simplified. I am also not sure why you can't view each character's abilities from the heroes menu (or at least I haven't figured out how to). The critics generally thought there was too much luck and randomness involved but strategy is so much more important than either of those factors.

If you like strategy games and don't mind dying a lot while you get your ropes, Has-Been Heroes is a really rewarding and fun experience. Don't be afraid to look up how to play the game the way it's intended to be played!
  24. Apr 10, 2017
    The critics have got it wrong here. This game is great! I am fairly new to the Roguelike games and I wasn't a huge fan of BoI but HBA is a fantastic game! It sucks you into that 'just one more' mindset which, personally, games rarely do these days. Yes it's a fairly difficult game but as long as you take your time and you're prepared to die a few times when beginning your journey, youThe critics have got it wrong here. This game is great! I am fairly new to the Roguelike games and I wasn't a huge fan of BoI but HBA is a fantastic game! It sucks you into that 'just one more' mindset which, personally, games rarely do these days. Yes it's a fairly difficult game but as long as you take your time and you're prepared to die a few times when beginning your journey, you should give this a go! Expand
  25. Apr 9, 2017
    After countless hours of Zelda I was looking for a game I could spend playing a little at a time (during breaks at work and such) and to my amazement this game is just what I was looking for! I do not know why the "critics" have given it such low scores. Not a single one was positive so I will give my take on it. The first hour I was skeptical. I lost a few battles and had no idea what IAfter countless hours of Zelda I was looking for a game I could spend playing a little at a time (during breaks at work and such) and to my amazement this game is just what I was looking for! I do not know why the "critics" have given it such low scores. Not a single one was positive so I will give my take on it. The first hour I was skeptical. I lost a few battles and had no idea what I was doing. Once i figured out the mechanics and unlocked my first hero I was hooked. Has Been Heroes is a little gem. The game feels like a tower defense game with strategic elements involved and then throw in multiple characters with different attributes and items and you got yourself a time waster. The learning curve is not very steep. You will lose the first few times playing through but as you unlock items the game gets progressively easier. With the serious lack of games the switch has to offer Has Been Heroes is a must try in my opinion. Expand
  26. Apr 2, 2017
    Amazing game perfect for handheld on the go. It doesn't handhold, it is unforgiving, and I love it! For a long time the challenge in games has been pushed aside, glad to see skill and learning is making a comeback. I haven't been able to put it down since I got it.
  27. Apr 3, 2017
    I cannot comprehend all of the bad reviews the critics are giving this game. It's an indie game that costs $20.... For what it's worth, it's an awesome pickup game. This game is not meant to compete with Breath of the Wild or any other AAA game yet it's being critiqued like it should be on par with those games.

On the difficulty of the game: It's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be

On the difficulty of the game: It's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be challenging. You're supposed to loose everything if you fail. It's not as devastating as people are making it seem and if you pay attention to what you're doing and how the mechanics work the game is very fun and strategic. Once you learn how your characters work together and combo to push back enemies, it's very simple and addicting.

On the randomness: Again, it's a rogue-like. It's supposed to be random. This is what makes it replay-able. You can increase your chances of having a well prepared team by the time you get to the final boss by traveling through the map in such a way that you hit as many spots as possible. This strategy gives you more money and more loot. Don't just try and race to the boss in an area. Take your time and your chances of being successful will be greater.

Overall, as I said before, this game is a great pickup game that will keep me highly entertained in between all of the AAA games people seem to crave more these days.
  28. Mar 29, 2017
    So addicted to this game. Definitely try it out if you like roguelikes and turn based games. It definitely feels like a better final fantasy style turned based game play system. Need more strategizing than twin stick shooter roguelikes
  29. Apr 2, 2017
    Hard learning curve is rewarding like the first time you played a Donkey Kong Country game.

This isn't some casual game for your grandma. Worth every penny.
  30. Apr 3, 2017
    HBH has that initial toughness that may scare people away. But the daring and challenge-curious will march on like the game's heroes to see that the princesses make it to school safely. The combination of rogue-like + turn-based + lane-combat (think PvZ) works so well with this game. And the progression is pretty much the same as other rogue-likes such as BoI - enough to make you feel likeHBH has that initial toughness that may scare people away. But the daring and challenge-curious will march on like the game's heroes to see that the princesses make it to school safely. The combination of rogue-like + turn-based + lane-combat (think PvZ) works so well with this game. And the progression is pretty much the same as other rogue-likes such as BoI - enough to make you feel like you accomplished something from your failed run. This is one of those perfect games to have digitally on a handheld (in this case, hybrid) system such as the Switch. The controls seem intuitive after spending an hour or two - and honestly makes sense if you think about how each joy-con is independent: the left joy-con controls spells/items and time while your right hand is meant to focus on timing your attacks (there is a rhythm element) and lane switching.

It's satisfying to land combos and switch lanes appropriately to get some bonus backstab damage. It's hard to explain sometimes - it just feels good. This game needs a demo so people can experience the challenge and see if they're up for it.
  31. Apr 5, 2017
    Gran juego, entretenido, buena banda sonora, buena traducción, no podrás irte a dormir sin echarte una más, dificultad endiablada y si te gustan los roguelikes este te encantará, otra cosa es que no disfrutes con este tipo de juegos, notas injustificada que supongo que vendrán dadas porque el analista de turno no le gusta el género, si podéis probarlo antes de comprarlo, pero vamos si teGran juego, entretenido, buena banda sonora, buena traducción, no podrás irte a dormir sin echarte una más, dificultad endiablada y si te gustan los roguelikes este te encantará, otra cosa es que no disfrutes con este tipo de juegos, notas injustificada que supongo que vendrán dadas porque el analista de turno no le gusta el género, si podéis probarlo antes de comprarlo, pero vamos si te gusta el género es muy probable que disfrutes como un enano. (gracias que no me dejé guiar por la mala prensa) Expand
  32. Apr 12, 2017
    A lot of the critic reviews of this title really annoy me, it's like they don't understand what makes a good roguelike...
    Yes this game is hard, yes it requires random luck, but that's the point.
    Everytime you fail you still unlock more and more items. There is always a sense of progression. More so than binding of Isaac for example. The controls and graphics are very sharp. My main
    Yes this game is hard, yes it requires random luck, but that's the point.
    My main complaint would be the enemies mostly being skeletons is boring.
    For the price this game is very addictive, well worth a purchase, it's impressive they married the roguelike system up with a final fantasy style combat so well. 9/10
  33. Apr 6, 2017
    Another case of fish reviewing climbing gear. People complaining about how hard the game is, without knowing how to play, nor putting any effort of learning the mechanics.
    The game is not perfect. It has RNG moments in which you'll feel frustrated (as in any other roguelike to be honest), but the overall gameplay mechanics are absolutely fresh and genius.
    The game demands some patience,
    The game demands some patience, persistence and learning, but once you get the hang of it it's absolutely amazing.
    I found Rogue Legacy way more frustrating than this to be honest.
    If only the runs were a bit shorter it'll get more score from me, but that's just a personal taste.
  34. Apr 12, 2017
    l'ho appena preso per nintendo switch e c'ho giocato per due ore di seguito. davvero bello. meccanica divertente. per chi lo valuta male perchè troppo difficile: avete provato ad usare le pozioni? magari al tempo giusto? senza pozioni è ovvio che il gioco diventi impossibile ma, se si hanno delle pozioni fin dall'inizio, serviranno pur a qualcosa ;)
  35. Apr 7, 2017
    I do not understand the press reviews of the game. They write about "no progress" but that is absolutely wrong. Sure: The Switch gets a bonus because there are not that many games and maybe I would not play this game so much on a different device. But the fact that this game is one of the best games to play in handheld mode especially when you just want to fill up 10 minutes (e.g.I do not understand the press reviews of the game. They write about "no progress" but that is absolutely wrong. Sure: The Switch gets a bonus because there are not that many games and maybe I would not play this game so much on a different device. But the fact that this game is one of the best games to play in handheld mode especially when you just want to fill up 10 minutes (e.g. train-tour) this game is pretty damn perfect.

Sure it is not a 10/10 but it does not deserve that wrong critics. I already spend about 15 hours and just unlocked three new heroes. But every match is interesting, because u find new items that you have to buy before you know their stats, you fight against new type of enemies, you can play with different heroes and every round is different because of spells and items you find. It is a perfect rogue-like. I do not agree with the argument you do not make any progress. The fact that you always unlock new kind of enemies, new stuff, sometimes new heroes make a lot of progress. Maybe the critics should spend more than two hours of testing into that game. It's a solid 8/10. Don't compare it to a zelda - but if you like rogue-like of a different kind then get it (as a physical copy).
  36. Apr 13, 2017
    Addictive, neat mechanics and pleasant art style. The 'downside' reviewers point out is mainly the difficulty. If you don't enjoy a steep learning curve just move on.
  37. Sep 1, 2017
    After hours of playing and enjoying my (failed) runs, I finally get a good combination of skills and items and the game starts clicking. A new boss I've never seen appears at the end, and now that I've gotten the hang of the game, I beat him fairly easily. I check the clock, and its 2am and I've been playing all night. This is the type of strategy rogue-like I love. Brutal at times, veryAfter hours of playing and enjoying my (failed) runs, I finally get a good combination of skills and items and the game starts clicking. A new boss I've never seen appears at the end, and now that I've gotten the hang of the game, I beat him fairly easily. I check the clock, and its 2am and I've been playing all night. This is the type of strategy rogue-like I love. Brutal at times, very strategic, lots of luck, but lots of fun! If you struggle at first, just remember to pause a lot, take down stamina bars exactly and then hit with your hardest hitter. rinse. repeat. use spells. Highly recommend this roguelike. I am at Hyrule Castle in BOTW but haven't picked it back up in days since I got this game, and that is saying something!

UPDATE: I play this game so much still. Even when your run is bad, it's a satisfying game with the mechanics at play. I liken it a bit to the original plants vs. zombies -- in a way it's a tower defense game. Great game, under-rated!
  38. Oct 16, 2017
    Primero de todo, tengo que comentar lo increíble que me parecen los análisis de la prensa, es completamente inadmisible como han criticado a este juego tan magnífico, ya sea por desconocimiento del género o por que directamente son unos mancos lloricas sin sesera que solo les divierte apretar botones como un mono sin dificultad alguna.

Después del rageo justificado comentare que el

Después del rageo justificado comentare que el juego me parece genial, soy de echarle muchas horas a los rogue-like y este sin duda no defrauda, lo tiene todo, te hará pensar cada movimiento, cada compra que hagas, cada pelea, y tendrás que aprender a utilizar las cosas en su momento adecuado. Realmente tiene una dificultad elevada, por lo tanto, si no te gustan los retos este juego no es para ti, llorarás y no entenderás nada, vuelve al COD y olvida Has-Been Heroes, no es para ti, si por el contrario te gusta un juego que te haga pensar y ser activo mentalmente este cumple con creces y, si consigues cogerle el punto te tendrá atrapado durante horas, morirás y querrás seguir intentándolo. He leído en varios foros que el combate no es intuitivo... Nada mas empezar sale una imagen indicando como se debe pelear, es casi como sumar 1+1, así de sencillo, no le vi la dificultad en ningún momento, las dos primeras run las pude completar sin problemas (de ahí en adelante empezó a ponerse interesante y más difícil), otra queja común son los controles :/, son tan sencillos que me hace gracia cuando leo que son malos o cualquier idiotez por el estilo.

Quiero animar a todos los que le guste el género a que le den una oportunidad, a mi me echaba muy para atrás las duras críticas de la prensa pero me pare a pensar que la mayoría de la humanidad tiene la cabeza hecha puré y decidí comprarlo (por el precio que tiene no hay ni que pensárselo!), la sorpresa fue más que satisfactoria, ya le he echado 40 horas y no cabe duda de que le echare muchas más.
  39. Jul 9, 2018
    Definitely a underrated game.
    This game is perfect for a handhold platform that you may pick up anytime to kill a bunch of skeletons and put down whenever you want.
    I don't understand why the critics gave this game so low scores. Maybe they just didn't have time to dig deep enough to reach the really fun core of this game. The learning curve of this game may be a bit steep, and it took
    Definitely a underrated game.
    The learning curve of this game may be a bit steep, and it took some time for me to get used to the some-what strange way of controlling. But once you've overcome that certain point, this game shows a broad beautiful picture, delicately designed battle system, randomly generated maps worth replaying again and again, tons of elements to unlock.
    Now I've already invested couples of hours in this game, and I've got still lots of things to explore. Just can't stop once starting playing. This is the perfect game while commuting.
    8 score for the base game, and +1 for its price and being underrated.

1. Aug 13, 2017
    Has Been Heroes is a tough game and not for everyone. The longer you play, the more items and stuff you will get. But you will suffer. Just hang in there and keep playing.
  2. Apr 21, 2017
    Has-Been Heroes is a brilliant idea that overreached itself in difficulty. A mix of incredibly complex strategy, RNG, weak tutorials, poor UI explanations, and a limp story drag a strong concept into the mud. If you’re patient, skilled, and attentive, you might be able to master the core concepts of Has-Been Heroes and relish the goodness hidden beneath the bad design choices. But had I not been reviewing the game, I would have been done after just a few hours. I just don’t like skeletons that much.
  3. Apr 18, 2017
    Has-Been Heroes is a solid tower defense experience that borrows attributes from Plants vs Zombies, while putting its own twist on the formula. Plenty of repetition and frustration - exacerbated by too many randomized elements - but the addictive and enduring gameplay shines through on occasion.