8.5

1. May 16, 2020
    Excellent run n gun! Nice surprise, flying under the mainstream radar! Great gameplay, scenarios and boss fights!
  2. Sep 4, 2020
    This game is very fun. Its a simple 2d pixel art platform shooter. Theres a button for shooting, a button for secondary weapon, a jump button, dash button, and change primary weapon. But it does all of the things it is perfectly. The 2d pixel art is gorgeous. Its an homage to that era rather than trying to just trying to look like its from that era. There is voice acted linesThis game is very fun. Its a simple 2d pixel art platform shooter. Theres a button for shooting, a button for secondary weapon, a jump button, dash button, and change primary weapon. But it does all of the things it is perfectly. The 2d pixel art is gorgeous. Its an homage to that era rather than trying to just trying to look like its from that era. There is voice acted lines for the characters that are pretty funny.

The game isnt too long though i let it drag out and spent maybe 10+ hours with it. Cause it was so good i was savoring my time with it. The main attraction of the game are the bosses. there are 20 of them, and they all have a "theme" with their own funny voice acted one-liners. They all have a unique attack pattern and sometimes secondary form that you must recognize and counter. They were all decently challenging , i did die quite a few times per boss, but none of them felt impossible. Every one of the bosses made me laugh with their lines.

the game plays well, provided decent challenge, looks beautiful. one of my favorites for sure.
  3. Jan 28, 2021
    Once you get used to the gameplay, you'll have a lot of fun with this one.
    If you're a fan of the 80's, get this.
  4. Jun 12, 2020
    Very good!!!!dfbttrbdwkmjdjfdnfjnndfjbnnnbhtnndjfnbfdsjfdnnbnbnfbnjdnfnbnhndnvnhunwunfhnbjnhusnfhbnsnfbnnbynsynrybcuxnvunndsunfnubnbrntrgn
  5. Jun 21, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too short but, the scent of old school is present. I love it. I would like to see a secuel. Expand
  6. May 27, 2020
    Really fun. The levels are a little uninspired, though do get a more interesting later on. The normal enemies could also use more variety. It's the boss battles that are the star for me. There are a lot and they're really varied. They're a good difficulty too--they take practice, but aren't frustrating.

I played on Hard difficulty, since Normal was going by too fast. I think that was right. That gives you 3 health bars instead of 5, and means you can't just spray and pray your way through tough spots.
  7. Mar 11, 2021
    What a gem. I dont really know what else to say. I love games like this. Very cool "story", great pixel graphics, wonderful dystopian atmosphere, awesome humor, lots of action. Feels great on the Switch. The only downside: its quite short. Other than that, really good.
  8. Mar 1, 2021
    This game is freakin fun! I don't usually go for these but it was really enjoyable! Gives me Escape from NY vibes. Great soundtrack, cheesy 80s one liners. And for 10 to 15 bucks?! WORTH IT! Get it!
  9. Jun 4, 2020
    Una joya 2d que te cautivará visualmente. Una obra que seguramente será memorable para quién lo juegue, tiene un game play divertido y exquisito como pocos, literalmente una fusión de contra y metal Slug con tintes de otra joya indie: Katana Zero!
  10. Jun 9, 2020
    Considering this game completely went under my radar and I had no idea of it's existence until it's release on the eShop. A trailer view later and it was an instant purchase. It really looks, sounds and feels as great as it actually is and then some.

For a game that I didn't have to build up any expectations up until it's release. It is a 10/10 top tier, superb, excellent indie game that any run'n'gun fan or nostalgia seeker will love from the bottom of their heart. And for me, it is GOTY.

To summarise:
    Graphics: 10/10 this is cream of the crop handcrafted pixel goodness. It may look like it's from the 90s but it's quite clearly been designed in the 2020s. It is an absolute marvel to look at even down to the small details. Nothing has been overlooked, the world looks and feels alive.

Gameplay: Brutally difficult but honestly fair. You will die a lot. But the more you play, the better you'll get. The shooting feels hefty, the cover system is awesome and implements well. Enemy variety is quite a standard affair when it comes to any game like this but the boss battles are very memorable and you will end up with a 'favourite' guaranteed. Gun variety is a mix but nothing too over the top. All levels follow the same structure i.e complete 3 sections then a boss. Reviewers has critiqued on this but I think its designed this way for speedrunners. There is nothing more satisfying then turning up to a gun fight with a baseball bat and a boomerang and singlehandlely taking down every enemy without taking a hit.

Sound: 10/10 - This game is fully voice acted which surprised me. Bosses have catchphrases, enemies talk to one another and your chosen hero has their own set of one liners when taking out the trash. Music is very retro with many influences taking from the futuristic worlds of 80s/ early 90s action flicks. Sound can usually get overlooked in a game like this but certainly not the case here.

Performance: 9/10 - It runs like a hot knife through butter with no lag, stuttering or frame drops throughout the whole playthrough. The only glitches I've seen so far are sound clipping and some minor graphic gltiches, but this only seems to happen when you are through mid clip and you get killed. Never offputting because it happens when you're dead.

Longevity: 2 starting difficulty's, easy and hard (I recommend hard as the most authentic experience) An even harder mode unlocks after completing it on hard (one hit dead). I am thoroughly enjoying the newly unlocked difficulty.
    There are 20 levels altogether, and while the levels aren't huge. there are 3 optional challenges to complete in every level. One particular challenge (complete the level without dying) will keep you busy for a very long time, as it's going to take a lot of practice to get to that stage. This game has gripped me enough with it's charm and challenge that I will be coming back to this game to attempt to 100% it.

Extras: Best opening credit pixel cinematic I've ever seen in any game ever. It sets the tone for the entire game and hearing the narrator profoundly growl 'Huntdown' never gets old.

It's a shame this game will unfortunetely go under everyones radar due to a minimal ad campaign and I just hope it gets the credit it deserves because this is the best indie title I've played since Katana Zero.
  11. Jun 13, 2021
    What a gem! This is a ripping game from start to finish! Awesome retro graphics with so much attention to detail. A brilliant atmospheric soundtrack, lots of great sound effects and cheesy speech samples, but most importantly REALLY fun gameplay. Every weapon is worth using and there are so many satisfying moments where you can take out large groups of thugs with a well timed shot. TheWhat a gem! This is a ripping game from start to finish! Awesome retro graphics with so much attention to detail. A brilliant atmospheric soundtrack, lots of great sound effects and cheesy speech samples, but most importantly REALLY fun gameplay. Every weapon is worth using and there are so many satisfying moments where you can take out large groups of thugs with a well timed shot. The levels are all excellent to play through and the bosses are really fun to fight. They are challenging but fair once you have worked out how to deal with them. I think I'll be coming back to this one periodically for many years to come! Expand
  12. Oct 28, 2020
    Buen juego, tiene todo lo que se le podría pedir a un juego del genero, deja poco que desear, se puede decir que flaquea un poco en música y diferencias notorias en niveles (en cuanto diseño del plataformeo). Cuesta encontrar juegos tan buenos de el genero en la época, un gusto.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 4, 2020
    Huntdown is a very good game. Its frenetic and modernized action, its beautifully created setting and its design full of details, makes it one of the best run & gun games on Nintendo Switch and will delight veteran and new players.
  2. Jun 25, 2020
    Huntdown is a cool, crass and challenging game that manages to do just enough to stand out above the static of analogue signals. Its strength is in how it never takes itself seriously, while the tried-and-tested gameplay and the clear attention to detail is a prime example of how to carve in quality presentation with a First Blood Survival Knife.
  3. Jun 16, 2020
    It doesn't quite stand out for its originality, but the gameplay experience is more than satisfying, with frantic action, a good visual world, enjoyable soundtrack and plenty of cheesy dialogue lines. With an additional layer of fun if played with two players, Huntdown on the Nintendo Switch is a recommended game for anyone looking for a fun and action-packed arcade experience.