7.1

1. Dec 26, 2020
    Literally unplayable. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to get past the opening stage. There is no option to advance. **** this game.
  2. Feb 13, 2021
    I'm surprised by the generally positive tenor of the critical discussion around this game. As someone who's a dedicated Annapurna Interactive fan, I'd been really looking forward to it from the trailer... existential subject matter in a colourful, charming seaside world? Count me in.

But what I didn't know is that the narrative offering is hamstrung by several uniformly tedious mechanics: namely, slowly scrubbing through the characters' anecdotal "memories" to reveal each objects you need to find, and then searching the large, teeming, busy play area from top to bottom looking for each object. It's video game 'Where's Wally?'. In a bad way.

Everything that the player must do to move the story forward is, unfortunately, boring. When you're stuck, you circle each area endlessly (couldn't there be a hint mode where your dog barks when you're getting warmer, or something?). Some of the item locations are infuriating. And so, progressing the story is drained of enjoyment.

This is an awful video game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 8, 2021
    If you don’t mind the narration and you’re able to get into the narrative, then you’ll probably delight in uncovering all the neat objects and stories this island and its inhabitants are hiding. For me, though? It never quite hits the mark. I Am Dead has some interesting ideas, and it executes on a lot of them, but taken as a whole, it’s just not as good as it could be.
  2. Dec 16, 2020
    From its heartful story that is only made better by a charming set of characters, to the soothing atmosphere of the gorgeous island-town Shelmerston, I am Dead constructs a serendipitous but accurate portrayal of the usually sorrowful emotions around death.
  3. Dec 11, 2020
    Clearly a lot of thought was put into this game and it is enjoyable to discover that. Unfortunately, I Am Dead’s repetitive gameplay, awkward controls, and short story that left me feeling discontent made me overall a bit disappointed.