7.5

1. Mar 16, 2018
    One of the best Kirby experiences out there and a must have for any Nintendo Fan.
  2. Mar 19, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a very fun game, especially when played along with other people. You can play it alone, and it'll be fun, but it shines when you play multiplayer. The game is easy and doesn't offer a challenge until the end, in the post-game. However, level design is quite good, graphics are just beautiful, and the sound track is also quite decent. The mechanic of making friends alongKirby Star Allies is a very fun game, especially when played along with other people. You can play it alone, and it'll be fun, but it shines when you play multiplayer. The game is easy and doesn't offer a challenge until the end, in the post-game. However, level design is quite good, graphics are just beautiful, and the sound track is also quite decent. The mechanic of making friends along the way is very nice, although you get the feeling that the CPU controlled friends do too much, they beat the game by themselves if you let them. Levels have good variety and are quite long, and bosses are also very fun, easy, but fun.

All in all, as always, a Kirby game doesn't disappoint, they are what they are, chill platform games that are fun and easy most of the time, if you look for a very hard game, this game isn't for you, but if you look for a very fun experience, especially if you are able to share the game with someone and play co-op mode, you'll have a lot of fun with this game.
  3. Mar 17, 2018
    Esse jogo e incrivel, um dos melhores da serie kirby, pena que não tem todos os poderes da serie kirby , mas e um otimo jgo recomendo muito esse jogo.
  4. Mar 19, 2018
    I got my hand on Kirby Star Allies last Sunday. I was super excited and I just sit there playing for whole Sunday from afternoon to midnight. Then I continued playing on Monday evening. Suddenly, a 100% completion screen came out. I was like "wha da fking fk ?" How many hours did I spend on this game? I guess around 16 hours. The contents are way too little for a game priced around $60.
    I
    I am not saying it is a bad game. I enjoyed it throughout 16 hours. But then the things left to do now are:
    1. time attack without Kirby with different "friends" which I don't really like this that much as I bought this game because I wanted to play as Kirby.
    2. boss rush with different Kirby abilities. It is alright if people like pure combat I guess.
    3. collect the remaining normal, small, non-rainbow puzzle pieces to complete some not so exciting art work. Maybe it's just me but I don't feel like grinding puzzle pieces as collecting art work don't really motivates me.
    4. play with friends, but Kirby cannot really troll your teammates and this makes it less fun than mario.
    --------------------------------------------- That's it for the lack of content part.
    I understand the main target players of this game maybe just kids. But I still think this way too simple than it should be, almost brainless. I grew up with Kirby games and I love them. Remembering playing Kirby on gameboy or on plane, when you don't have teammates and you just have 1 ability on hand. You saw a place that need a specific ability to access, you need to remember where it is, get the ability that you need, hold on to it and come back later. Star allies allow you to store 3 more abilities in your team as "friends". Players can tackle every so call "secret doors" or "secret puzzles" the first time they encountered it. If you don't have to right ability on hand, don't worry, they are just nearby. In fact, I only replayed less than 5 stages in campaign because I missed the rainbow puzzle somehow. The "secrets" are mostly obvious, the puzzles are easy. I don't mind the main story line being easy for kids to enjoy the game but I would really like a bit more challenge in some extra stages. In my opinion, make it easy to learn and play , increase the skill cap by a bit.
    -----------------------------------------------
    The collectible system is just "meh" to me. Nothing motivating. Grabbing each rainbow puzzle to show my respect. The normal puzzle grinding can wait until playing with friends, I don't find reviewing art work exciting.
    -----------------------------------------------
    All in all, it is a great game. I enjoyed it. It can be played with friends. Creative ability combining system, I really like that. Nice BGMs. I would give it a 9 if all of the following are introduced:
    1. the game has more content , or sell it at most 2/3 of its price now
    2. make some harder modes or changeable difficulties so the game can by enjoyed by players who wants to play casually and also enjoyed by those who need challenges
    3. increase the difficulty of puzzles, I mean come on, at least some of them. Even make players getting the ability they need at the end of the stage and have to back track or sth. Don't just spawn ability they need right at the puzzles.
    4. Some more legendary friends
    5. (optional) just change the collectible system. I don't care if you give me new Kirby skin, I just don't like those art works.
  5. Mar 18, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a great game. Its fun single player and even more fun with friends. The game is just pure fun. One thing i hope they add is a 4 player battle mode. 10/10,
  6. Mar 19, 2018
    As a huge Kirby fan, I'm pleased with this game. It's satisfying, relaxing and looks stunning. If you have played both Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe you may find that the game is very similar.The level designs look nice but are otherwise a bit bland. Soundtrack is incredible, with remixes of past tunes and new ones. I really like the structure of the story mode, it's a bit different
  7. Apr 9, 2018
    Jogo incrível, a adição dos aliados veio da melhor forma possível que há muito tempo um jogo inédito da franquia não recebia. Gráficos lindos, história cativante e uma trilha sonora linda.
  8. Jun 7, 2018
    This game provides no challenge. I'm sorry. But that's basically my only criteria besides the fact single player is awful. Multiplayer is a blast, because Kirby's accessibility and it gets chaotic. The combining abilities mechanic returns, too. New, inventive Kirby. I think it's fun, but only with friends.
  9. Mar 17, 2018
    Hal did it once again.
    The main goal of the franchise was providing a dream experience, with a clear old school imprint. At the same time enhancing the re-playability and engaging the most demanding players in the attempt to complete the games and finding all the collectibles and hidden paths and levels
    Graphic and the ost are among the best of the serie, the level design is very
    Hal did it once again.

Graphic and the ost are among the best of the serie, the level design is very inspired. Using the helpers can make the whole experience a bit too easy, but you can choose in any moment to deactivate them. In the other hand, using them can make the classic Kirby’s formula less standard, although I think Hal should do more effort to renew it from the next time.

For now though Kirby Star Allies is a very good add to this amazing franchise.
  10. Mar 22, 2018
    Great game, probably the easiest game in the Kirby franchise do to the allies you can befriend, but still great nonetheless. Lots of charm and great music.
  11. Apr 20, 2018
    Wow it’s fun! My teenage girl and I love play it. It’s a buy if don’t already
  12. Aug 19, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a great game. But it's too easy, you can fly, have 3 friends that kill everything for you even bosses. That's more like 2d puzzle game than platformer. And that's too short even if I am bad at games I am now on last world in 3 hours with all secrets. If you want to play good platformer on switch play Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and if you want relaxing shortKirby Star Allies is a great game. But it's too easy, you can fly, have 3 friends that kill everything for you even bosses. That's more like 2d puzzle game than platformer. And that's too short even if I am bad at games I am now on last world in 3 hours with all secrets. If you want to play good platformer on switch play Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, and if you want relaxing short game play this Kirby Star Aliies game. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2018
    If You're tired of this franchiese then MAYBE Youre too old to play game targeted to 4-12 year old kids? My daughters love it and its their favourite game - and thats the target audience, not 37 year old guys. Btw. Im also having fun with this game but mostly through enjoying my time with kids.
  14. Mar 16, 2018
    It is a really good game and Is very clever with alliteration and just like Mario and Link,Kirby came to Nintendo Switch Perfectly.
  15. Mar 18, 2018
    Game has been a ton of fun. Easily the best coop Kirby yet. Its so nice to come home from a hard day at work and enjoy its relaxing gameplay.
  16. Mar 16, 2018
    I don't get why critics are reviewing this game badly cause its easy. This game is made to be EASY, made to be pure fun just like mario odyssey (an amazing game). This game is not donkey kong, and so what if it didnt change the formula, if it ain't broke dont fix it. destructoid got it right.
  17. Mar 18, 2018
    My 9 year old daughter loves this game.. I find it a bit too simple to be interesting.. So I think a lot of it comes down to age, but either way, I think the current price of this game is way too high for the experience that it's giving, so I'm going to give it a 7 until the price comes down.. At half the price, it would probably be worth the money.
  18. Mar 16, 2018
    This game is so fun to play. The atmosphere, the helpers, the music, and the charm make it feel so wonderful. The only problem with this is that it is way to short to play.
  19. Mar 16, 2018
    Kirby is a really fun game especially with Friends and Family. The Levels are clever, music in really good to listen to, story is simple and most importantly the gameplay is fun. High Replay Value
  20. Mar 17, 2018
    Reallu fun game, i was a bit worried at first that there were only 4 worlds, but they have more than enough content in them. My favorite aspect is how beautiful the game is and the friend mixing. Also, the final boss is great.
  21. Mar 17, 2018
    This game is really fun, as Kirby always was. I don't really mind that it's still the good ol' Kirby, because it's still good and fun. I will always play these games no matter what
  22. Mar 22, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a fun game that is what I expected. This is shirt but to the point.. Game is fun for someone looking for a easy no brainer that has that Nintendo stamp. I found the game to be ridiculously simple, however I bought it so I can play with my Wife and some friends who never play video games but though it might be fun to go through. It was fun and did not take that long toKirby Star Allies is a fun game that is what I expected. This is shirt but to the point.. Game is fun for someone looking for a easy no brainer that has that Nintendo stamp. I found the game to be ridiculously simple, however I bought it so I can play with my Wife and some friends who never play video games but though it might be fun to go through. It was fun and did not take that long to complete.. about 5 hours. You do unlock puzzles and there are a few Wii like Multiplayer games which were a pleasant step away from what you have been seeing on the switch.
    Overall if money is not an issue and you collect Nintendo game.. grab this game. Also if you have kids or someone who likes games but can't usually play.. this is for them.
    Other than that.. wait for a sale. Great game but if you are looking for this as your Nintendo branded switch game.. Get any other IMO over this.
  23. Mar 17, 2018
    A great fan service.
    Starting with some great remixes of original NES and Gameboy music pieces, level hommages for them and of course the usual set of (mini)bosses.
    It is a Kirby game though, so expect the main story to be super easy (I finished with > 100 extra lives) and over rather quickly. There is a lot of post-game content as usual, and something for completionists. If you
    A great fan service.

If you either are a fan of Kirby games or look for something on the easier side to play with your kids: it's a great game! If you prefer harder Jump & Runs and/or are not a Kirby fan: better wait for Donkey Kong, which will likely please you more.
  24. Mar 25, 2018
    This game is a 10/10, so much fun to play with anybody. Whoever is giving this game these abysmal scores is missing the entire point
  25. Mar 18, 2018
    Simplemente es volver a la infancia, está vez con un modo coop para 4 lo cual hace que la jugabilidad sea una locura.
  26. Mar 17, 2018
    Graphically beautiful, very fun to play through even on your own with the friend system, interesting abilities you can mix and match, fun bosses and amazing ending and references. 30 fps isn't much of a problem personally but could affect others. Game is quite easy, whether that is a good or bad thing depends on you. Overall very good game :)
  27. Mar 16, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a bit un-engaging in its main campaign if playing solo due to almost too competent ally AI against less than challenging enemies and puzzles, but in couch co-op, the game really opens up to be a unique and highly enjoyable casual experience with friends. The game looks gorgeous, there are tons of power combinations to play with, the bosses are fun and creative, and inKirby Star Allies is a bit un-engaging in its main campaign if playing solo due to almost too competent ally AI against less than challenging enemies and puzzles, but in couch co-op, the game really opens up to be a unique and highly enjoyable casual experience with friends. The game looks gorgeous, there are tons of power combinations to play with, the bosses are fun and creative, and in typical Kirby fashion, it's about as charming as video games get. Elsewhere, there are a couple of decent mini-games for fun at parties, while Guest Star adds tons of replayability by letting you play as tons of different characters in speed runs, and The Ultimate Choice adds difficulty where the main game was lacking it, with the top difficulty levels being true obstacles. Kirby Star Allies may be easy to dismiss as a lower-tier single player Kirby experience at first when compared to Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, but when this game's gimmick is embraced as intended, it does reach the heights of those games. Expand
  28. Mar 17, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is an extremely fun game. I'm playing it with my siblings. Even my brother who isn't into these games is having a blast. Also, the game looks so pretty and Kirby is so cute!
  29. Mar 16, 2018
    This game was a blast to play through. It’s easy, but not too easy. This game is the perfect balance and i love it. The CPUs actually know what they’re doing instead of “oh hey look i’m a cpu and i dont know what i’m doing”. This game is especially fun with a friend, Co-Op mode is fantastic and very fun for everyone. I really recommend this game to anyone reading this review.
  30. Mar 16, 2018
    good game, the multiplayer seems fun but you can't play it without friends.
  31. Mar 17, 2018
    I feel like the critics aren't going to get on board with this one. It leans a little heavily on it being a Switch game, it's sometimes a bit too easy, especially in the early game, and it's not the shock and wonder brought by Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. Nintendo may have set the bar a little too high on themselves, so their first party titles are going to have a tough benchmark toI feel like the critics aren't going to get on board with this one. It leans a little heavily on it being a Switch game, it's sometimes a bit too easy, especially in the early game, and it's not the shock and wonder brought by Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. Nintendo may have set the bar a little too high on themselves, so their first party titles are going to have a tough benchmark to achieve.

It doesn't take away from what this game is, however, and that is a great co-op platformer with all of that colorful and creative game play you should expect.

As a single-player game, you will occasionally find yourself relying on NPC behavior to pass certain obstacles, but the NPCs themselves usually are not. That's where some of the ease comes from, in that NPCs tend to know what to do before you do. They will also sacrifice themselves to keep you alive.

Its co-op appeal is high, however, and certainly encouraged. There are plenty of support roles that never leave you feeling like everything is in the hands of one player. There is an impressive variety of playstyles, abilities and even character animations as one would expect from a Nintendo first-party.

As a Kirby fan, it's definitely a solid entry in the series. It feels like a Kirby game, it plays like a Kirby game, and yet still has some surprises and originality. Again, it's not the Odyssey or Breath of the Wild of the series, but it's not an unremarkable game by any means.

A Kirby fan will certain enjoy it, and anyone looking for a co-op platformer which is quite playable with just the Joy Cons will have a ton of fun.
  32. Mar 16, 2018
    Frankly i understand why people are not to keen on this game frankly from my point of view this game is a blast although playing alone is rather easy its a lot better with friends the creative and overall breathtaking visuals is enough to buy it alone but the fun charming game play experience keeps you hooked as does the many call backs to past games celebrating what makes Kirby great ifFrankly i understand why people are not to keen on this game frankly from my point of view this game is a blast although playing alone is rather easy its a lot better with friends the creative and overall breathtaking visuals is enough to buy it alone but the fun charming game play experience keeps you hooked as does the many call backs to past games celebrating what makes Kirby great if your a long time fan pick it up if your looking for difficultly look elsewhere cause this is just a charming simple adventure which may alienate some hardcore gamers despite this Kirby is and will always be a fantastic series Expand
  33. Mar 16, 2018
    This is a must play for any kirby fan it is truely one of the best and unique kirby games with a lot of surprises and a blast to play in co op please by all means give this game a try
  34. Mar 16, 2018
    This is one of my least favorite Kirby adventures. The "Friend" Mechanic kills the experience in many ways for me. My biggest gripe is that Nintendo fits 3 friends + Kirby and enemies on the screen very poorly. Half the time, you haven no clue what is going on due to everything overlapping in the middle of the screen. It is hard to enjoy the visuals and game play when you can't see what isThis is one of my least favorite Kirby adventures. The "Friend" Mechanic kills the experience in many ways for me. My biggest gripe is that Nintendo fits 3 friends + Kirby and enemies on the screen very poorly. Half the time, you haven no clue what is going on due to everything overlapping in the middle of the screen. It is hard to enjoy the visuals and game play when you can't see what is going on. Secondly, they force the friend mechanic on you by requiring it in certain situations. The levels are very linear and no frills. Boss fights are often the same thing over and over. I do like the controls due to being able to use the "analog" buttons rather than the stick, however Kirby does not always respond quickly to input. Lastly, the biggest flaw of this new friend system is simply being able to grab 3 random friends and sprint through stages as those friends rip everyone up for you. Long gone are the fun non-linear Kirby experiences. Lastly, what is up with the loading times? Every 10 feet Kirby takes, it needs to load. VERY strange! Nintendo keeps trying to use the same recipe but change one thing, and this is the second game they messed up by doing so... Expand
  35. Mar 21, 2018
    I find this game to be very enjoyable. The visuals look great and overall I just smile while I play this game.
  36. Mar 17, 2018
    I absolutely adore this game. It’s beautifully crafted, and while not anything revolutionary, it’s a ton of fun in both single and multiplayer situations. You’ll probably get more out of it with the co-op, however. Overall, it’s a casual and cute game to let go of some stress, and totally worth trying the demo to see if it’s your kind of thing!
  37. Apr 9, 2018
    This game caught me by surprise, Kirby Star Allies has a very interesting concept and executes it good, the only thing is that it makes the game so easy, i went through levels at a time without even touching an enemy because my friends did it for me. The Story Mode didn't have as much content as i thought it would. It didn't have as many compelling worlds as Return to Dreamland did. ButThis game caught me by surprise, Kirby Star Allies has a very interesting concept and executes it good, the only thing is that it makes the game so easy, i went through levels at a time without even touching an enemy because my friends did it for me. The Story Mode didn't have as much content as i thought it would. It didn't have as many compelling worlds as Return to Dreamland did. But the one thing that makes this even a little bit worth it is that it is fun. The worlds that I didn't enjoy I still had fun with. Regardless, I'm still not sure this game is worth it's hefty 80 dollar price tag. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2018
    跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错跟朋友玩还不错
  39. Mar 20, 2018
    I like Kirby Star Allies, but after playing the likes of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, this game feels like a letdown. The typical Kirby formula is a side scroller where you suck in enemies to gain their abilities, and then there is some extra twist. Previous chapters have given Kirby mechanical powered suits or enhanced sucking powers amongst other things.
    Kirby Star
    Kirby Star Allies follows the exact same formula as before. The levels and music are what you'd expect of Kirby but are not unique in any way. Having allies and combining their abilities can be fun but it's not nearly as interesting as having Kirby run around in a mech suit like in Planet Robobot. When I first started playing, I was excited that maybe the game had deviated from its side scrolling stereotype because Kirby can move around in a 3d overworld to select a level to play, but alas, there isn't much to do in the overworld

What I do like about the game is that the graphics are crisp and the world is bright and colorful. I've been a fan of Kirby since Kirby's Adventure, so it is exciting to hear the classic music and see familiar level designs even if I'd like to see some new elements. Some of the new abilities are really cool, like the spider and broom abilities. It's cool to be able to wield a fire sword or hammer or turn into a curling stone with the help of your teammates. I'm mostly disappointed because I think Kirby has the potential for a great more open world style game like Super Mario Odyssey, but we just continue to get more formulaic side scrollers.

It's especially frustrating in a world where even Pokémon is changing up it's tried and true formula to great success. I hope to see another Kirby entry for Switch that does more than what we've already seen.
  40. Mar 22, 2018
    A Kirby game that actually brings something truly new to the table. A fun experience, especially with friends. From a visual standpoint, Kirby has never looked this good before.
  41. Aug 4, 2018
    besssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst gameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer ever maddddddddddddddddddddddde
  42. Mar 16, 2018
    Any true Kirby fan would find fun in this game. It has a lot of fan service and Memorable characters. People seem to forget the Kirby series was designed for someone not experienced with games to be able and pick up and play, not hardcore gamers. The friends are cool because you can use them to get access to secret areas and different areas of the stage. I will say the dream friends feel aAny true Kirby fan would find fun in this game. It has a lot of fan service and Memorable characters. People seem to forget the Kirby series was designed for someone not experienced with games to be able and pick up and play, not hardcore gamers. The friends are cool because you can use them to get access to secret areas and different areas of the stage. I will say the dream friends feel a little useless and you'd only have them because you like that particular character rather than for their abilities. Also bringing back combined abilities from Kirby 64 was a nice touch. Graphically the game is pretty but there's no excuse for the game not to be 60 frames per second. I'm not subtracting my score because it doesn't have too much of an effect on game play and you don't really notice it after a while. I feel more work went into designing the new characters in this game than in other Kirby games. the generals are all unique with different personalities. I can totally get why someone wouldn't like Kirby, It's not for everyone. I will say most of the negative reviews aren't really talking about the game in particular most just say "It's not fun" or "the game is boring and stale". You have the right to your opinion but that's not very informative. Hal lab. is one of the few companies that do care about their fans and show that they do hence all the fan service in star allies. I would like to see a change in the formula too but the current one isn't bad and if they do change it more people would just complain. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I personally love the game and am glad i got it release day. If you are a fan of Kirby and know how to have fun you will enjoy this game. Expand
  43. Mar 16, 2018
    This Series needs to be more innovative, I'm tired of the same game being spilled on platform to platform, it's too easy, it's bland, and it's mechanics are exactly the same from Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe. For the Switch I wanted Kirby to show people what the series is capable of, rather than the same games they had on the 3DS. This could've been as big as BOTW or Odyssey, but itsThis Series needs to be more innovative, I'm tired of the same game being spilled on platform to platform, it's too easy, it's bland, and it's mechanics are exactly the same from Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe. For the Switch I wanted Kirby to show people what the series is capable of, rather than the same games they had on the 3DS. This could've been as big as BOTW or Odyssey, but its not because HAL as been regurgitating the same BORING games for years. I liked when they thought out side of the box for games like Air Ride and Mass Attack, a game with new mechanics or different worlds to explore would've been great. This game is worth $25 bucks tops. I wish the Kirby series made a non linear game for once. Expand
  44. Mar 16, 2018
    I agree that this game is not as fun alone then with friends, but still a amazing game in the Kirby series.
  45. Apr 29, 2018
    Kirby returns with an amazing local multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, players that decide to play alone might be left confused over one of the easiest Kirby games to date. The game is perfect for your cliche and typical pizza sleep over and family fun, providing hours and hours of joy for 2-4 players. The game has some of the smartest AI ever, with computer controlled allies in singleKirby returns with an amazing local multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, players that decide to play alone might be left confused over one of the easiest Kirby games to date. The game is perfect for your cliche and typical pizza sleep over and family fun, providing hours and hours of joy for 2-4 players. The game has some of the smartest AI ever, with computer controlled allies in single player working well and logically with the player as they progress. Unfortunately the AI is too smart for its own good, helping the player a little too much. There are some stand out levels ans boss fights, even if I did find them to be easy. Thankfully the boss rush mode has an extreme hard mode that did satisfy my need for challenging fights. Its a very hit and miss experience by myself, but sitting on the sofa with my friends provided some of the funniest hours I've ever had playing games. 8/10 Expand
  46. Mar 18, 2018
    Lack of difficulty and bad level desing ahead but Kirby star allies is extremely well put together, with excellent visuals and dozens of enemies with unique and relatively complex powers. Speaking of the puzzles, like the rest of the game, they are incredibly simple and don’t take a whole lot of brain power to figure out. There was maybe once or twice where I was actually stumped as toLack of difficulty and bad level desing ahead but Kirby star allies is extremely well put together, with excellent visuals and dozens of enemies with unique and relatively complex powers. Speaking of the puzzles, like the rest of the game, they are incredibly simple and don’t take a whole lot of brain power to figure out. There was maybe once or twice where I was actually stumped as to what I was supposed to do, but I figured it out right afterward. Clearly the game is aimed at kids, but it’s not as if almost all Nintendo’s other games aren’t equally family-friendly… and considerably more entertaining.
    Kirby Star Allies is a brilliant Nintendo Switch debut for the pink puffball, bringing his accessible and lovable brand of side-scrolling platformer to a new console. I wouldn’t consider this game a must play game, but is certainly an enjoyable title if you just want to have a casual gaming experience or play a game with your children.

Please remember: It's my personal opinion, GROW UP!
  47. JXT
    Mar 16, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies plays like any other Kirby title of the modern formula, however the titular gimmick is the main thing holding the game back. 'Allies' that you recruit move autonomously, meaning that enemies you need to defeat or puzzles you need to solve will no longer be your challenge to face if you take longer than a second to face it, your ally characters will swoop in and doKirby Star Allies plays like any other Kirby title of the modern formula, however the titular gimmick is the main thing holding the game back. 'Allies' that you recruit move autonomously, meaning that enemies you need to defeat or puzzles you need to solve will no longer be your challenge to face if you take longer than a second to face it, your ally characters will swoop in and do everything for you. This simply takes gameplay away from the player and to no real benefit.

The game design does not specifically take advantage of the Allies in single player, or co-op modes, aside from occasional progression points which require you to have Allies around. The game's difficulty goes below even the idea of a 'chill platformer'.

You can make it more difficult by removing Allies, however you will consistently need to add them back to get through the already mentioned progression points.

Overall, this is a serviceable 2D platformer if you have a deep hatred of difficulty. However, as a $60 title and a main Nintendo IP it is an insult.
  48. Mar 18, 2018
    I’m so tired of this franchise. They had an opportunity to innovate this series on the switch and they stayed on a very conservative route.
  49. Mar 26, 2018
    it's well crafted but it's so extremely boring.
    this is not even for little kids challenging.
  50. Mar 17, 2018
    The Kirby formula has been tired for years. It's always been far too easy and too short, which can be nice for some but I'd love an option for a higher difficulty. It is also hell expensive. Unless you are 7 years old rich kid, you shouldn't spend $AU 79.95 for this game.
  51. Mar 21, 2018
    "Kirby" is one of those Nintendo series' that I really enjoy, but I try not to get extremely hyped up when they announce a new game, because the Kirby games are never meant to be Game of the Year contenders. Just some decent, fun little platformers that you can get through quickly between some of the beefier games you may be putting more time into. "Kirby Star Allies," however, was a game"Kirby" is one of those Nintendo series' that I really enjoy, but I try not to get extremely hyped up when they announce a new game, because the Kirby games are never meant to be Game of the Year contenders. Just some decent, fun little platformers that you can get through quickly between some of the beefier games you may be putting more time into. "Kirby Star Allies," however, was a game I was heavily anticipating: after being burned by the less-than-stellar "Kirby and the Rainbow Curse" on the Wii U, it was nice to see a "Kirby" game that brought things back to the traditional platformer roots. And sure enough, "Kirby Star Allies" does all that and more.
    From the jump, "Kirby Star Allies" is an absolutely gorgeous game. It's just brimming with color, and the game itself is just so filled with eye-candy that even someone that's cynical to stuff like this can't help but appreciate it. The game also feels incredibly faithful to some of Kirby's best adventures, and there's so much fanservice thrown in that the game as a whole just feels like a love-letter to the best games in the franchise. There's also plenty of stuff that keeps the gameplay fresh and exciting, and the 4-player co-op mechanic adds a nice touch of strategy to the game (while, again, feeling like a callback to "Kirby 64" with the combination of abilities).
    Of course, the game is not immaculate: it's extremely short, and even longtime "Kirby" fans like myself will yearn for something with a bit more depth to it. On top of that, the game itself is extremely easy, and once again, even longtime "Kirby" fans like myself might yearn for a game that challenges them just a little bit more.
    Overall, though, "Kirby Star Allies" is quite possibly one of Kirby's best adventures yet, and it's definitely a worthwhile addition to what's becoming an ever-growing collection of really great Nintendo Switch titles.
    Final rating: 8 out of 10 "Great"
  52. Oct 6, 2018
    Yo amo la franquicia de Kirby, pero este juego la verdad es de lo peor que he jugado en mi vida, es ULTRA FÁCIL, tanto que el juego se podría jugar solo, ya que tus aliados se pueden encargar de todo sin problemas. Es un juego realizado para niños menores de 6 años, lo cual me decepciono bastante ya que esperaba un poco más de un juego de los personajes más iconicos de nintendo.
  53. Mar 25, 2018
    A 60 dollar game you can 100% clear in less than 8 hours.

30 dollars, sure.. I'd buy it. 60 dollars? No. Just no.
  54. Mar 17, 2018
    Das Spiel macht schon Spaß, es ist allerdings viel zu leicht und vor allem viel zu kurz! Aus meiner Sicht keine 60€ Wert, vielleicht 40 aber auch nicht mehr. Ich habe viele der alten Spiele gespielt und bin wirklich enttäuscht. Es ist einfach nicht das was es mal war, ich kann es aber jedem empfehlen der einfach nur ein Fun Game ohne Herausforderung sucht. Koop ist zu empfehlen.
  55. Mar 20, 2018
    Introduction: With the Nintendo Switch being such a success with numerous award-winning games, it’s time for the pink puffball we all know and love to grace the system. Will this game another great addition to the franchise or will it fall under with the many tropes of its more generic entries.
    Story: The story starts out with our main villain, Hyness, getting a dark heart that is able to turn people evil. Kirby gets one these hearts as well and can use it to turn enemies into friends. It’s a pretty simple good and evil story but it works well, giving it a much-needed excuse to put co-op 4 player action in this game. Nothing mind blowing but if you like Kirby games, then there is much to like in this department.

Gameplay: This game is a traditional 2D platformer just like the original Kirby games. It works well and plays exactly like you would expect it to. The enjoyment is doubled with the great addition of the aforementioned 4 player co-op. Since players can play as almost any enemy in the game, the Kirby staff stuff this game with many abilities, the most abilities in a Kirby game to date. Abilities can also be fused together with the help of your friends. The only downside is that there is very few fusion. The last new gimmick is this game is the friend abilities. These come in forms of turning everyone into a circle or a train to be able to get through certain sections. These sections are not much fun because if multiple people try to control it, it becomes a broken mess. The most logical thing to do is to let one person control these abilities but that means that the other 3 players will have nothing to do for a good 3 to 5 minutes. This is even worse during the final boss fight since it is most friend ability segments. It’s a fun and visually cool looking fight but it could have been better. This game length was a concern for some but I think 8-10 hours for this game was enough. The only disappointing thing about this is that multiple bosses are reused from previous games and are reused again near the games ending. The game can be very easy at times and this makes co-op all the more important to keep the game fun and interesting for the entire runtime. This game has some flaw and is most likely not the best in the franchise but it still has the fun and charm of some of the most average game in the series.

Technical: Visually, the game looks great. The most gorgeous in the franchise. The soundtrack has some pretty good tracks but nothing that stands out. I notice that there were many load screens breaking up the action and some of these load screens were very long. Besides the load screens, this game holds up on a technical level that is comparable to all other Nintendo games.

Conclusion: This is a fun but easy Kirby Adventure. I would only recommend it to die-hard Kirby fans or if you want a good co-op, especially if you have kids that might want to play a fun game (Like my little brothers and sister, who played this game with me) For everyone else, it’s hard to justify $60 for this game. If you slightly interested or just want to play it by yourself, wait for a price drop.

Pro:
    +Beautiful looking game
    +Tight and responsive gameplay
    +Fun co-op
    +Pretty good length with some replayability

Cons:
    -Easiest game to date
    -Too many load screens
    -Some bosses are reused too much
    -$60 can be a bit steep for this game
  56. Apr 1, 2018
    I dont like people that hate kirby im a kirby fan boy and star allies is the best game ever in my opinion the gameplay is great the visuals are pretty and the content i wish it was a bit longer but the mode you play as a ally the boss rush and the 2 minigames make it very amazing. if you have a nintendo switch you need to play this game
  57. Mar 17, 2018
    While the fun and enjoyment is still there, it quickly devolves into boring button mashing your way through an easy gaming experience.
  58. Mar 31, 2018
    Эта часть Kirby получилась довольно посредственной. Слишком сильная ориентация на ко-оп прохождение, играть одному быстро наскучивает. Малое количество миров и уровней. Однообразные и повторяющиеся локации. Игра получилась слишком линейной даже по меркам Kirby игр. Новые механики никак не разнообразят привычный геимплей данной серии и не делают его интересней. В игре отсутствует хотьЭта часть Kirby получилась довольно посредственной. Слишком сильная ориентация на ко-оп прохождение, играть одному быстро наскучивает. Малое количество миров и уровней. Однообразные и повторяющиеся локации. Игра получилась слишком линейной даже по меркам Kirby игр. Новые механики никак не разнообразят привычный геимплей данной серии и не делают его интересней. В игре отсутствует хоть какой то челлендж , она разработана и рассчитана для самых юных игроков, а опытным геймерам любящим сложные и разнообразные 2D платформеры здесь делать нечего. Если вы собираетесь играть в одиночку, обратите лучше внимание на две отличные игры этой серии на Nintendo 3DS. Expand
  59. Jul 23, 2018
    Kirby star allies is a good game but it is very flawed
    Positves
    1. Its a very good looking game 2. The games itself is fun and enjoyable 3. I really like the allie mechanic 4. The abilitiesare fun to use 5. I really like the boss rush mode 6. The multiplayer was really fun to play Negatives 1. The game is way too short 2. The game is too easy 3. The bonus modes are ok 4. The
    Kirby star allies is a good game but it is very flawed

2. The game is too easy
    3. The bonus modes are ok
    4. The games started to get old towards the end
  60. May 6, 2018
    Great game, lovely visiuals cool gimmick but it's too slowpased for my taste and yes it's too easy. But with 4 this is a great co-op game
  61. Jun 20, 2018
    Absolute trash! Nintendo need to some new ideas as they're failing! The Switch is dying already
  62. Apr 30, 2020
    Wait for the sale! This is the easiest Kirby game ever; I beat it in 5 hours. Therefore, It should not be $60. I enjoyed the game though, just wish there was a little bit more challenge to it. Get this game for good and fun experience.
  63. May 29, 2018
    *TIME SAVER REVIEW (Nintendo nostalgia goggles removed)*

Gameplay - very reminiscent of the new Rayman formula but with a Lost Vikings twist. You swap between usable characters with differing powers (absorbed using Kirby's patented eating disorder), in order to solve puzzles and progress the levels. Hidden characters, levels and unlocks are plentiful. Graphics - Very crisp and
    *TIME SAVER REVIEW (Nintendo nostalgia goggles removed)*

Graphics - Very crisp and vibrant, as Kirby fans have come to expect and again reminiscent of the Rayman vibe. Effects are handled wonderfully, with chaos ensuing often on-screen and no dip in frame rate.

Sound - Meh. It's the typical Nintendo soundtrack, lots of chimes and happy crescendo's. Nothing really standout here, suffice to say it does the job.

Other - I am a sucker for the Nintendo couch co-op experiences, they do them so well. That said, the game suffers a bit when playing solo, it was clearly designed with cooperative play in mind.

Verdict - Not a bad entry for Kirby on Switch by any means. A little unimaginative, the story is bland and the difficulty doesn't really see any kind of spike until late game (like most Nintendo platformers). Overall a worthy pick-up if you love the franchise or are looking for something fun to play with a friend. Otherwise it may be worth waiting for a sale, or looking for a deal. 7/10
  64. Feb 4, 2019
    As a Kirby fan, this game is a massive disappointment. While other developers are taking great strides and innovating when bringing their IPs to the Switch, HAL just... got lazy? The level design is incredibly linear and devoid of difficulty. The fundamental friend mechanic breaks the game. The game essentially plays itself. I tried imposing artificial difficulty by not using the friendAs a Kirby fan, this game is a massive disappointment. While other developers are taking great strides and innovating when bringing their IPs to the Switch, HAL just... got lazy? The level design is incredibly linear and devoid of difficulty. The fundamental friend mechanic breaks the game. The game essentially plays itself. I tried imposing artificial difficulty by not using the friend mechanic, but it the game forces its use on multiple occasions, making the build up and dismissal of friends really tedious. The DLC adds some more characters and a harder difficulty, but I haven't brought myself to play it yet.

By far the worst Kirby game in modern times, possibly of all time.
  65. Jul 3, 2018
    This game is very cute and VERY kid friendly, so for that I give it a 10 hands down. Now... for people who grew up with the series, not so much. It's a very pretty game and is fun, but after about 2 hours its pretty much the same thing ive done in slightly better HD. I don't think this is worth more than $30.00. It's short and incredibly simple. They need a mode for people who are muchThis game is very cute and VERY kid friendly, so for that I give it a 10 hands down. Now... for people who grew up with the series, not so much. It's a very pretty game and is fun, but after about 2 hours its pretty much the same thing ive done in slightly better HD. I don't think this is worth more than $30.00. It's short and incredibly simple. They need a mode for people who are much more experienced. Parents of young kids, get this game on sale and pull up a chair for co op. Expand
  66. Jun 18, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is an incredibly fun game to play with friends or family. It's definitely better than a lot of other games out there, however the game has a few fatal shortcomings.

A: Music/Sounds The music in this game is very similar to other entries in the Kirby franchise - pretty darn good. Some tracks feel like they've been re-used a few too many times over the years, but

A: Music/Sounds

The music in this game is very similar to other entries in the Kirby franchise - pretty darn good. Some tracks feel like they've been re-used a few too many times over the years, but overall the music is relatively memorable and on-par to other games in the franchise.

As for sounds - well, Kirby games aren't really the type of games to need such incredible sounds - let's just put it that way.

7/10 - Good music, but really just feels like almost the same music as all of the other Kirby games. Sounds get the point across.

B: Graphics

The graphics in this Kirby game are better than any other in the franchise. I'm glad that they've actually come back to making a Kirby game with a 'proper' art style, instead of the clay/yarn aesthetic they've been using. The graphics and art style of the levels throughout the game certainly give off a Kirby charm.

10/10 - Good art style, perfect graphics for a Kirby game.

C: Gameplay

The gameplay in this game is extremely reminiscent of other Kirby titles. The mode selection is also very similar to other games in the series, containing the main story, a few mini-games, and the boss-rush/helper to hero modes.

The main story is very fun if played with friends. The final boss in particular is very fun and different to the conventional Kirby format - an extremely welcome addition. I'm not going to give out spoilers, so you're going to have to play the game yourself/see someone else play it to find out what exactly that is.

The mini-games are really just extra fluff to the game - it's easy to blow through all of the difficulties in the two mini-games which Kirby Star Allies gives you and be done within 15 minutes. I personally don't even see why they added these mini-games, perhaps it was to make it seem like there's more content than there truly is?

The Helper-To-Hero mode is fun - for a while. When I played through it, it took roughly two hours in total to complete the first time around. Essentially Helper-To-Hero mode is just replaying the main story levels throughout the game, but instead you play as an enemy/other NPC instead of Kirby. This is fun to play through once, but once you've beaten it, it feels very, very repetitive to play through again with another character - there simply isn't enough variation for me to go through this two hour mode with every single character.

The Boss Rush mode is a nice addition to the game, and is pretty much a staple to the franchise at this point. The difficulty slider is especially nice, but even at the highest difficulty I still managed to beat it on my second attempt - despite it being only my second attempt, this is still the most difficult thing in the game.

Overall, there are two main gripes with the gameplay:

Where is the content? I managed to 100% the game in 15 hours - this is minimal in comparison to other games. I understand Kirby games are short, but this feels like on a whole other level - especially with the price tag.

Where is the difficulty? This game is incredibly easy. I also understand that most Kirby games are easy, but I kind of wish that they had a difficulty slider for the main game as well as the Boss Rush mode, because it's incredibly difficult to actually die in the main game. I believe in my 15 hours of gametime I only died once or twice, and that was because I fell off of a cliff accidentally.

It's a shame that those gripes are there, because underneath those issues this game is very fun, especially to play with friends. It's no Breath of the Wild of the Kirby franchise, but it's definitely super fun. On your own though, I feel as if it could get a little stale.

5/10 - Fun gameplay with friends, rather boring when playing alone. The game is also too easy and too short.

D: Story

The story in Kirby games are always those 'sweet and innocent' on the outside, but 'dark and mysterious' on the inside types. That's no exception here, with the main villain in the game being incredibly... bizarre, with very strange motives. I'm not going to go into too much detail, because to be honest I haven't done too much deep reading into this story - but it's interesting.

It's nice to see the ways that all of the plots in Kirby games are connected to one another. I wonder how the story will affect the Kirby universe in the next game?

If you're not interested into looking too much into it, then it's your regular old save Dreamland plot from a crazy bad guy looking to revive some beast.

9/10 - A surprisingly dark story, despite the positive atmosphere for the most part. A little hard to wrap your head around if you don't look too much into it.

So, in conclusion, this game gets a 7/10. It's very fun with friends, but is severely lacking in terms of content/difficulty.
  67. Jul 30, 2020
    This game is amazing! I love that it feels somewhat challenging yet not too bad at the same time. Veterans will want more of a challenge but I don't mind it's simplistic nature. The graphics are gorgeous, the levels are fun, the frame rate is solid and if you have a friend who wants to get into gaming and enjoys a cutesy type games, this is a good entry level. I love anything Kirby, so toThis game is amazing! I love that it feels somewhat challenging yet not too bad at the same time. Veterans will want more of a challenge but I don't mind it's simplistic nature. The graphics are gorgeous, the levels are fun, the frame rate is solid and if you have a friend who wants to get into gaming and enjoys a cutesy type games, this is a good entry level. I love anything Kirby, so to have a game made specifically for the Switch makes me so happy! I 100% recommend this game. Expand
  68. Mar 21, 2018
    A game that satisfies new and old Kirby players with an interesting twist on the formula and a great local co-op experience!
  69. Jun 29, 2018
    If this is your first time playing a "Kirby" game, don't expect a challenge form it. A two-year-old could beat this in less than a week. But, it's still enjoyable. The graphics are beautiful, the story's unique, and there's lots of collectibles to keep completionists on their toes.

Kirby's main power involves sucking up enemies and taking their powers, but that's a standard. His new power in this game is to turn enemies into his friends with the throw of his hearts. Having friends is a huge help if you suck at platformers, or if you're looking for the collectibles. Unfortunately, they make the game almost too easy. You could fly through a level in 5 minutes and you won't feel like you did anything! And boss battles are the same thing.

The game also allows you to combine Copy-Abilities mixing elements with weapons. You could have a Sizzle Hammer or a Blizzard Sword. These new abilities not only give you extra attack power, but they allow you to access certain areas of the levels to obtain collectibles. Again, flat-out easy when using these powers.

The Sub-Games are okay, but not memorable. They're just short minigames to play when you have friends (actual friends).

Overall, Kirby Star Allies has a great concept and returns a lot of fan-favorite characters such as Gooey and Marx, but the whole friend concept, along with the combined copy-abilities feel forced, and doing these pretty much makes you press a win button.
  70. May 3, 2020
    Kirby Games Never Get Old! And Kirby Star Allies Never Ceases To Amaze Me! A Kirby Game For The Switch Was What I Wanted!
  71. Jun 6, 2018
    Trabajado en algunos aspectos pero con un diseño de niveles poco inspirado y un desafió nulo en el modo historia.
  72. Apr 15, 2018
    El juego essu[per ddivertido pero solo si juegass multijugador, porq se vuelve mucha mas facil incluso cuando kirby es una saga q ultimamente es bastante facil. Lo disenos de nivele no son nada originales, muy pareccidos, por no decir identicos alos del return to dreamland de wii. Creo q como mismo paso con Mario, zelda y GOW, kirby necesita innovarse y volver a impresionar.
  73. Jun 10, 2018
    Extremely underwhelming game, in fact, it's so underwhelming that I have very little to say about this game. Well, let me do my best to give a full review.

Kirby Star Allies lacks just about everything that makes Kirby games fun: imagination, level design, charm, and worst of all, fun. The game really isn't fun because the game is so easy that you can beat it with your eyes closed. Now, Kirby games have never been difficult, but you always did have to actively try in order to beat the game, but not here, as many levels could be beaten with your eyes closed. But also, the levels lack creativity and charm, as they are very uninspired and generic. All of the levels feel like a massive step back from previous titles such as Return to Dreamland and Planet Robobot.

Now, the game isn't all bad, as the game be somewhat fun at times, and I'm sure that the multiplayer helps to enhance the experience. In addition, there are quite a few different modes to play, which helps add in some variety. Finally, the ability to combine copy abilities was a great addition that helped add in a little creativity.

Honestly, I recommend you skip this game, and I definitely don't recommend spending $60 on it. If you are really interested in trying it out, wait for a sale or price drop, but otherwise don't bother with this game, it really isn't anything special.
  74. Apr 18, 2018
    Está bien hecho, pero es extremadamente aburrido.
    El juego tiene un target de niños de 4 a 10.
    Es muy lineal, plataformas que se pueden pasar dormido la mitad del tiempo, igual los puzzles y en el único momento en que se hace un poco mas internaste es después de pasarlo pero te aburres en pensar en volver.
  75. Jul 12, 2018
    Honestly it’s one of the worst Kirby games I’ve ever played and I’ve played almost all of them. It became super girly-child made, I can’t stand watching badasses like meta knight or dedede that we’re nice evil bosses throwing hearts drestoying their characters. The game is really easy, no challenge at all, really lineal and straight forward. It took me seriously months to finish because IHonestly it’s one of the worst Kirby games I’ve ever played and I’ve played almost all of them. It became super girly-child made, I can’t stand watching badasses like meta knight or dedede that we’re nice evil bosses throwing hearts drestoying their characters. The game is really easy, no challenge at all, really lineal and straight forward. It took me seriously months to finish because I really didn’t feel like playing,it while you can end it really fast while losing 5 lives tops. I really miss challenging games in Nintendo. Expand
  76. Apr 23, 2018
    Kirby star alies is a solid game in the series but it is still a good game in it's own rights
  77. JPK
    Jun 20, 2019
    Another Damn Great Kirby Game
    Kirby just never gets old, and this game is more proof of that.
  78. May 6, 2018
    An okay Kirby game. Very easy almost to the point where the game is tedious. The gameplay is still enjoyable and adding the friend characters into the game is nice but in turn, this actually makes an already easy game, even easier. The bosses are slightly harder than the levels although the difference is minimal. If you are buying for a child, perhaps their first game, I 100% recommendAn okay Kirby game. Very easy almost to the point where the game is tedious. The gameplay is still enjoyable and adding the friend characters into the game is nice but in turn, this actually makes an already easy game, even easier. The bosses are slightly harder than the levels although the difference is minimal. If you are buying for a child, perhaps their first game, I 100% recommend this- otherwise, you may find yourself bored. It is pretty mind you... Expand
  79. Jun 1, 2018
    Its another kirby. Its beautiful well made. And a few new powers not much we can ask from a classic. This is still a must play.
  80. Jun 8, 2018
    It's an enjoyable videogame, and incredible fun, especially near the end. Although level design isn't perfect when compared to other similar 2d platformers, the boss battles are this game's highlight, and I've spent over 50 hours fighting the boss rush mode.
  81. Jan 18, 2019
    Kirby Star Allies is a fun and relaxing game to play through with friends and family, or even solo. Its colorful visuals, incredible soundtrack, and attention to detail will astound fans of the pink puffball as well as some newcomers. However, it must be known that Kirby games are generally not known for their difficulty. These games are meant to be enjoyed a different way.

However, I

However, I only had the chance to play this game with the recent updates, which of course includes the museum to add characters like DeDeDe, Meta Knight, and past superstars to your team. While there are other newly added features as well, had I not had them at the beginning I think I would have been a bit disappointed with the game. Some of the new mechanics are interesting like buddy team ups and elemental weapon upgrades, but this is not enough content to release the game at a $60 price tag. That said, these new and free updates have picked this game up to the level expected of a a full-fledged Kirby title.

I certainly think Kirby Star Allies has received some warranted as well as unnecessary criticism, but the fact still remains that this is a game worth your time, especially if you're an old school Kirby fan. Enjoy playing through the fantastic visuals and please, please, please take the time to truly enjoy the soundtrack.
  82. Apr 6, 2018
    This game is very obviously aimed at younger children with the simplistic levels and gameplay. That being said, it's still very enjoyable, especially when playing with a friend.
  83. Mar 24, 2018
    Acabei de jogar a DEMO e digo sem medo de errar ... DIVERTIDO COMO SEMPRE !!
    Vou comprar a versão física assim que der $$
  84. Apr 22, 2018
    This is a solid Kirby experience. I like the new mechanic with befriending enemies to then mix your powers together to solve different puzzles. The game is easy, but so is every kirby game. My main problem is how short it is for being a full priced game. It took me less then 10 hours to beat every stage, including the hidden ones, and the final boss. I wouldn't recommend buying it forThis is a solid Kirby experience. I like the new mechanic with befriending enemies to then mix your powers together to solve different puzzles. The game is easy, but so is every kirby game. My main problem is how short it is for being a full priced game. It took me less then 10 hours to beat every stage, including the hidden ones, and the final boss. I wouldn't recommend buying it for the full $60, but if its on sale for 40 or less then its a fun game worth playing. Expand
  85. Apr 19, 2018
    A REALLY fun and charming Switch game, and looks better than a certain game that released after it (*cough* Detective Pikachu *cough*). But it's held back by some pretty big flaws.

Pros: + Presentation: NEARLY perfect. + Soundtrack: AMAZING! But then again, Kirby always has top notch soundtracks. + Graphics: ...Why does Kirby have such great graphics? + Game Modes: Story Mode was

Pros:
    + Presentation: NEARLY perfect.
    + Soundtrack: AMAZING! But then again, Kirby always has top notch soundtracks.
    + Graphics: ...Why does Kirby have such great graphics?
    + Game Modes: Story Mode was pretty fun, the minigames were good, and the post-game modes were amazing.
    + Story: I mean, it's not the best (obviously), but for a platformer, it's pretty good.

Bad:
    - Difficulty: Oh wow, a Mario Odyssey fan complains about a game being too easy! Hahaha! No. Unlike Odyssey, I put almost no effort into the story mode. If it wasn't for co-op and a certain post-game challenge, it would be a WAY too easy game.
    - Length of Story Mode: As much as I liked the Story in the game, it was just way too short for me. That combined with the lack of difficulty puts this game down a bit.

Overall, Kirby Star Allies warrants an 8.7/10 from me. A great, yet flawed return to console for Kirby. (Also, I forgot to mention this was the first Kirby I've played since Super Star Ultra.)
  86. Jun 1, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies adorably comes into the Nintendo Switch collection. Despite its lack of story and its sadly quiet amount of story mode levels, Kirby fits between the major titles of the consoles with its incredible visual impression. The new allies AI are very nice to play with, but sometimes they bothered me by not doing the exact power combination I want. And in some levels, it seemsKirby Star Allies adorably comes into the Nintendo Switch collection. Despite its lack of story and its sadly quiet amount of story mode levels, Kirby fits between the major titles of the consoles with its incredible visual impression. The new allies AI are very nice to play with, but sometimes they bothered me by not doing the exact power combination I want. And in some levels, it seems that they do all the job and you're just here to wait for them to finish and get the collectibles, tiny bad point there. Even tho, the stages are pretty well done and the puzzles are maybe a little bit too easy.

The other "arena mode" have always been here and feel the same as always: too easy at first, frustrating in the end, but you're not forced to play it (not for the 100%...). The Let's Go Allies thing mode (don't remember how you call that) seems pretty cool and challenging for casual players and hardcore gamers. The tiny mini-games are fun for 2 games and then... I don't think I would go in these things to play with friends or even to have personal fun.

And yeah, playing those dream friends (such as Marx!) is a very pleasant experience if you're a long-time Kirby fan. And like we've seen in Super Mario Odyssey, common updates are always a new satisfaction for those Kirby fans (I mean, they're all epic!).
  87. May 17, 2018
    Kirby was my first ever game, so it takes a special place in my heart. The nostalgic bosses and gameplay combined with the new bosses, friend heart, and controls have been once again perfected by Nintendo. Despite having a short campaign, there is lots to do to challenge oneself and get true 100% completion(including the pictures). Since the computers can be extremely dumb when controlled,Kirby was my first ever game, so it takes a special place in my heart. The nostalgic bosses and gameplay combined with the new bosses, friend heart, and controls have been once again perfected by Nintendo. Despite having a short campaign, there is lots to do to challenge oneself and get true 100% completion(including the pictures). Since the computers can be extremely dumb when controlled, it loses 0.5 points. It loses another 0.5 points because the series has more potential. However, that does not dismiss the true value contained in this great game. Expand
  88. Mar 19, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies is a fun little game which expands on the multiplayer of Kirby games. But I feel it could have been so much more. The linear path of the game makes it fall a bit. It also was a bit short and I found myself ignoring my friends half of the time. But the game was just so much fun. I enjoyed every second and the multiplayer was fun. I enjoyed it all the way through and theKirby Star Allies is a fun little game which expands on the multiplayer of Kirby games. But I feel it could have been so much more. The linear path of the game makes it fall a bit. It also was a bit short and I found myself ignoring my friends half of the time. But the game was just so much fun. I enjoyed every second and the multiplayer was fun. I enjoyed it all the way through and the final boss was a kick. And it’s already the fourth day and I’ve 100% it. Even though the game is conceptually easy (until the ultimate choice) it was still a blast. Expand
  89. Feb 18, 2019
    Pros:

-Looks gorgeous -Character designs and animations are very cute. -Good music -Controls are smooth -Gameplay is still really fun -The updates make this game the ultimate fan service for Kirby fans. -The extra modes are pretty fun. Cons: -Story campaign is very short. -The game is very easy, even for Kirby standards. -Level designs are a bit generic
    Pros:

-Looks gorgeous

-Character designs and animations are very cute.

-Good music

-Controls are smooth

-Gameplay is still really fun

-The updates make this game the ultimate fan service for Kirby fans.

-The extra modes are pretty fun.

Cons:

-Story campaign is very short.

-The game is very easy, even for Kirby standards.

-Level designs are a bit generic

-The game doesn’t offer much outside of the fan service, most of which wasn’t even added until after the patches.

Final verdict: I had a lot of fun with this game, but it is a very safe Kirby game, not taking many risks and relying a fair amount on fan service. Still, die hards will get a lot of enjoyment from the fan service, and even newcomers or just casual Kirby fans should find some fun with this one. 7/10
  90. Mar 19, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies definitely is not the best of the Kirby series, but if you are a Kirby fan and own a Switch, I would still pick it up. I just wish the game was longer and had more difficulty to justify its $60 price tag.
  91. Mar 19, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It follows what you expect of a Kirby game pretty well. It starts fairly easy in terms of levels and puzzles but over time escalates. With the maximum difficulty being the optional content after the main campaign.

Single players will be relieved to know the partner AI is rather intelligent and can recognize when their abilities are used for something specific. However Co-op may be where you prefer if you wish to solve puzzles on your own. Be sure to turn hints off in the options menu.

The focus on mix-matching elements and abilities leads to a process of creatively solving puzzles in different ways as well as gives way to making best combinations of partners.

The bosses are an excellent mix of old and new. I love the generals designs and element themes and the main villain Hyness is hilarious if you remembered Zant's craziness from Zelda; Twilight Princess. Older bosses like Dedede and Meta Knight have new tricks as well. The final boss himself is a classic Kirby trope of something intimidating and admittedly creepy in some aspects. But the fight itself is incredible, mixing regular bossfight gameplay with a type of vehicle shooter.

The post-main story has two modes, a partner's only run through of the story levels with a unique final boss and the Kirby main-series staple; An Arena Mode boss rush. The Arena does a new decision of difficulty selection with a hidden *True Arena" at it's max difficulty.

My one and really only gripe is the abundance of extra lives. You can easily hit 100+ with just a normal playthrough if you're experienced in Kirby games even with a few occasional deaths. You can also point out the simplicity of solo mode when the AI for partners is pretty smart.

The game is still a fun time. Definitely recommend this for either single player or co-op experience.
  92. Apr 8, 2018
    I actually liked 80% of the game... hence 8/10. The "game", the levels themselves were well-balanced I thought. Some were super easy but others were moderate to hard (the final bosses).

At first, I thought the game was too short, I finished it in a weekend. But then I noticed I didn't find all the major puzzle pieces or all the buttons. I did that over this weekend, So I got 24+ hours of gameplay out of it.

What I DISLIKE about the game is the final round. Kirby is so cute and then he has to fight demons. Like 20 minutes of them. I don't get it.
  93. Mar 22, 2018
    I would like this game a lot more if it wasn't so short. You can beat it in about 2 hours, and 100% it in about 4 hours. It's a fun game and worth playing, but wait until you can get it for about 1/2 price.
  94. Feb 25, 2019
    Cast: 10/10
    Story: 4/10
    Fun: 6/10
    Gameplay: 7/10

Not-Recommended (I STILL LOVE KIRBY THOUGH)
    ----------------------
  95. Mar 24, 2018
    Its funny how this game was sold for 60 dollars when its not even worth it. At least 40 dollars minimum or below. When I bought it, I wasn't expecting anything super hard but I was expecting the difficulty bar they had at the Ultimate Choice to be on Story Mode as well. Kind of like Kid Icarus: Uprising. The gameplay looks good and the story is alright. Everything's pretty fun but itIts funny how this game was sold for 60 dollars when its not even worth it. At least 40 dollars minimum or below. When I bought it, I wasn't expecting anything super hard but I was expecting the difficulty bar they had at the Ultimate Choice to be on Story Mode as well. Kind of like Kid Icarus: Uprising. The gameplay looks good and the story is alright. Everything's pretty fun but it didn't last very long. Probably the shortest Kirby Game i've ever played. I've read off of Facebook that someone's 6 year old daughter beat the entire thing within 12 hours and 100 percent'd it shortly afterwards. As soon as I beat it, my soul left my body. I no longer had the will to play any longer. Personally I don't think it deserves any score below 5 nor any score above 7. Its pretty disappointing as a debut to the Switch with THAT much length and be at 60 bucks. lol Expand
  96. Mar 25, 2018
    Kirby: Star Allies is a cute, well crafted game. It can be played and enjoyed by people of all ages. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is what you would expect from a Kirby game, and is fun when playing with a friend(s). However, the difficulty is a bit too simplistic. There should be a harder difficulty for people who desire a challenge and replay value. And Nintendo, reduce theKirby: Star Allies is a cute, well crafted game. It can be played and enjoyed by people of all ages. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is what you would expect from a Kirby game, and is fun when playing with a friend(s). However, the difficulty is a bit too simplistic. There should be a harder difficulty for people who desire a challenge and replay value. And Nintendo, reduce the price of this game! It should not be 60$ USD. If this game was a little less expensive, I would gladly bump up my score. Expand
  97. Apr 1, 2018
    The gameplay is great but it's not worth $60 as it can be finished in 01:45:26. This means that you're paying ~$30/hour. Wait for a sale.
  98. Mar 30, 2018
    This game is really fun and I love it. Some could say this game is easy but this easiness make the game really fun and enjoyable even if sometimes it can become boring but the diversity of the gameplay makes him even more fun
  99. Apr 10, 2018
    An amazing Kirby game with a beautiful 2D world.
    The game isn't that hard to play through, but still a great experience.
    Playing the game together is a must! It's so much more fun than playing alone with the AI.
  100. Apr 10, 2018
    I absolutely enjoyed this game!! It is a game that can easliy be played with one player or four! Although, I wish Kirby got a bigger game for the switch, Kirby Star Allies Feels like one of the 3DS games where a little gimmic is added and then bam, same formula as past Kirby games. Nonetheless, it is still a fun game and I enjoyed it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 83 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 15, 2018
    Though it’s not technically perfect by any means, Star Allies remains entertaining from start to finish. Let the puffball meet the misfits, it’s time for Kirby to shine on Switch.
  2. CD-Action
    Jun 5, 2018
    Simply put, Star Allies looks great, sounds great and plays great. [05/2018, p.47]
  3. Jun 2, 2018
    Kirby Star Allies makes the simplicity of smiling a lasting thing. The game is beautiful and has music that impresses by it's quality. The title is very amusing and if you can join three more friends, you will have one of the funniest experiences on the Nintendo Switch. It is an experience that should be appreciated in its entirety.