8.4

1. Feb 10, 2020
    If you love Metroidvania like games, this is the game for you. The game designers managed to make you feel like a spider-man with a katana, which is awesome!
  2. Feb 11, 2020
    As someone who loves platformers and metroidvanias, this was right up my alley. I loved this from the beginning to the end. A fun swinging mechanic, strong visuals, a lot of collectables and many upgrades, just what I need. However, despite the countless things I love about this game, there are some things that make this, unfortunately, not worth a 9 or 10 rating. Some small cons are: NotAs someone who loves platformers and metroidvanias, this was right up my alley. I loved this from the beginning to the end. A fun swinging mechanic, strong visuals, a lot of collectables and many upgrades, just what I need. However, despite the countless things I love about this game, there are some things that make this, unfortunately, not worth a 9 or 10 rating. Some small cons are: Not the longest game, not really that hard (besides the final boss), one small but sometimes noticeable bug and under-utilized aspects (for example one of the key weapons in the game I literally only got less than a hour before the final boss, although that may be my fault since I unintentionally found a secret-ish game mechanic which let me bypass some areas without the intended weapon ;3). All and all I loved it, definitely worth it if you like platformers (and probably one of my all-time favourite indie games), but short if you're more experienced with 20-60 hour titles.

EDIT: I completely forgot about one thing! In short: Great music and great tracks.
  3. Feb 12, 2020
    This game is top tier goodness, interesting visuals,really fluid movement and combat with those dual kunais,and also the exploration is handled really well here, overall a good metroidvania,the only con I would say is that it's short,length is on par with another metroidvania timespinner and it's as good as that.superb work turtleblaze
  4. Feb 10, 2020
    No fan of metroidvania games normally, but this one's actually fun and interesting enough to play, and keep playing. That's a big win in my book ;D
  5. Feb 10, 2020
    One of the most fun platformers I have played in a very long time. Tabby is great, and I love his mode when you duck, the smile is just amazing. The different boss themes are great. No, I won't spoil!

Also, on the switch this game is even better than on the PC. It just clicks on the console.
  6. Feb 10, 2020
    Oh man this was a $15 gamble I'm very happy I made. One weird (non blocking) bug aside, this is just a little jewel of a platformer. The art direction is spot on, mixes some humor in the story, and the core gameplay just feels super fun and tight. Starts out easy but no worries, if you like a challenge you'll get it later on. The sense of place is fantastic, music and environmental soundOh man this was a $15 gamble I'm very happy I made. One weird (non blocking) bug aside, this is just a little jewel of a platformer. The art direction is spot on, mixes some humor in the story, and the core gameplay just feels super fun and tight. Starts out easy but no worries, if you like a challenge you'll get it later on. The sense of place is fantastic, music and environmental sound effects are really good. It's not the longest of games but it's certainly not short either, I'm over 10 hours in and not at the end. Expand
  7. Feb 19, 2020
    Fantastic Metroidvania with lovely 2d graphics, awesome combat and lots of places to explore.
  8. Feb 21, 2020
    Despite the over saturated Metroidvania presence on the eshop, Kunai manages to stand out with aplomb due to amazing controls, an imaginative setting, and fantastic level design. Just when you thought you were done with 2D for a while, boom, you need to try this.
  9. Feb 22, 2020
    This game is a joy to play, I love the smooth controls the graphics are good, I find it hard putting the game down after i start playing.. I love the battle mechanics, Also like the weapon upgrades you get when you progress through the game.. Overall i give this game 9/10.
  10. Feb 21, 2020
    Great little Metroidvania with a refreshing twist. Highly recommended. A definite buy!!!
  11. Feb 20, 2020
    Wonderful design, great sense of humor, delightful movement and controls: Kunai is my game of the year!
  12. Feb 19, 2020
    This was by far the best demo I played at Pax East and the game doesn't disappoint. The controls are super fluid, exploration is super fun, the visuals are so clean. The movement system is my favorite thing about this game. I cannot sing this game's praises enough.
  13. Feb 19, 2020
    Followed this game on twitter for a while so maybe I'm biased but the graphics/effects look gorgeous
  14. Feb 19, 2020
    This is worth the money it was. Now, I will say, I got between 5-10 hours of gameplay, but got an extra couple hours trying to find all the hats.

The gameplay was as smooth as taking a knife of butter and spreading it across really warm toast. It was smooth. In fact, and I’m not saying I don’t like Celeste but it has way smoother gameplay compared to Celeste. The story was interesting

The story was interesting but it had a major plot twist near the end. The game felt like a metroidvania where you get weaponry and use it for obstacles earlier in the game. Also I do absolutely recommend finding the minimal in the forest map, it’ll be used throughout the game and help you save tons of time looking for where you need to go. Getting hats was worth my time. I normally don’t look for secrets in games but these hats... they kinda look a bit badass to wear. You feel like a pro wearing these hats. They are scattered around the map but some places are pretty smart hiding places for the hats.

I had some problems with the game:
    1. Sometimes the music got a bit tedious like the First time I got onto the airship. And the same boss music was used in the last boss, I kinda wish there was more effort put into the final boss music because it didn’t really feel like a final boss with the basic boss music playing in the background
    2. If your last save was in another map and you died, you would travel all the back to that last map which can be annoying sometimes
    3. Once I completed the game, upgraded my katana to max and everything else maxed out, I had no use for my money, I just wish I could use my money on more things you know?
    4. Ok, this isn’t a complaint but the RPG becomes atrociously OP when you fully max it out. But on the other side, it’s fun to RPG jump to get through areas quicker and it does tons of damage

Some examples of what I liked in game:
    1. Smooth gameplay and platforming using the Kunai as grappling hooks
    2. Once you fully max the SMGs our, you can use shoot them downwards to look like you are in the game Downwell
    3. There are funny references in the game, read the dialogue to people in Robopolis and you will understand what I mean
    4. Finding chests were actually worth finding even if I found them on accident
    5. I had to find the items to everything, find the minimal, find the WiFi box to access the shop, find the weapons, find the hats
    6. The color palette that was used in the simplistic design of everything.
    7. The satisfaction of killing an enemy with the Katana doing a down katana slash

Overall, I say this was totally worth the $17 or so it costs. I thank the devs a lot for making such a fun game to play! -Elias Roa
  15. Feb 21, 2020
    A great Metroidvania game with tight and fluid controls, player upgrades and a variety of enemies that you can use different tactics to overcome. Nice colour scheme and art style. I wasn't a fan of the main character or the story but it didn't detract from the gameplay and I really enjoyed swinging around the levels using the Kunai. The music is good too. A perfect game for pick-up andA great Metroidvania game with tight and fluid controls, player upgrades and a variety of enemies that you can use different tactics to overcome. Nice colour scheme and art style. I wasn't a fan of the main character or the story but it didn't detract from the gameplay and I really enjoyed swinging around the levels using the Kunai. The music is good too. A perfect game for pick-up and play in small doses without having to remember too much from the previous play session. A definite recommendation from me, Expand
  16. Feb 22, 2020
    Just finished the game and I absolutely loved it. Was a really well produced game

Mixed or average reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 20, 2020
    Kunai does so much with so little. From the minimalist art style to the polished grappling mechanic, it’s hard not to recommend this entry to fans of the metroidvania genre, or anyone looking for a fresh offering on the Nintendo Switch.
  2. Feb 18, 2020
    Kunai comes together as one of the premium Metroidvania offerings on the Nintendo Switch. Some flawed design here and there and light story aspects aren’t enough to detract from the excellent gameplay offerings, top-notch pixel graphics, and clean aesthetic.
  3. Feb 18, 2020
    If you are a fan of robot ninja action or you’re just looking for the next Neo-classic Metroivania title with a hint of Bionic Commando thrown in for good measure, KUNAI delivers a very satisfying experience.