6.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. May 11, 2021
    As a fan of the Layton franchise, I’ve played every gane in it, and Katrielle is a really, really bad game. Since launch I bought it and after years, today I haven’t been able to finish it due to its terribly dull and ridiculous story and the worst puzzles of all. I really hope I can play a new Layton’s game as it has to be with the mystery story and good puzzles.
  2. Jul 25, 2020
    Massive waste of money. They took everything we loved about the professor Layton series, scrapped it, and procured a game that is not only the worst in the series, but also a very bad video game in general. The charm of the bond between the professor and Luke is gone. We are replaced with the supposed daughter of professor Layton, although there are no similarities. The best thing aboutMassive waste of money. They took everything we loved about the professor Layton series, scrapped it, and procured a game that is not only the worst in the series, but also a very bad video game in general. The charm of the bond between the professor and Luke is gone. We are replaced with the supposed daughter of professor Layton, although there are no similarities. The best thing about Layton series is the mystery to be solved, shrouded in a story with compelling characters, drawing us in with lots of puzzles that increase in difficulty as you progress. The abomination of katrielles conquest is comprised of these mini detective cases, with about 2 puzzles that wouldn't challenge a 4 year old, spread out between a novel's worth of uninteresting dialogue, like gone off butter on a burnt slice of toast. By the time you're even slightly engaged in the obvious conclusion of a case, it's over, and all those characters which you spent an hour reading about their mundane backstory are never to be seen again. Stupid characters, stupid game, bring professor Layton back or leave this series alone before it is ruined further. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2020
    I hate this game. There is a horrendous amount of drab / superfluous dialogue. I've played a singled puzzle and then it resumed vomitting dialogue.
  4. Jul 8, 2021
    Do not waste your money:
    This game is bad. The plot is predictable, the writing poor and long, and the puzzles...
    I'm not gonna sum them up, lemmie give an example. Puzzle two. Riddles come in many shapes and sizes, all with different answers. Some good, some bad. A good riddle/puzzle tackles your assumptions, giving you all the bits of info and asking you to come up with a scenario
    Do not waste your money:
    I'm not gonna sum them up, lemmie give an example. Puzzle two.
    Riddles come in many shapes and sizes, all with different answers. Some good, some bad. A good riddle/puzzle tackles your assumptions, giving you all the bits of info and asking you to come up with a scenario that makes sense. That's a good riddle.
    Puzzle two isn't a riddle. ANY riddle at LEAST challenges your thinking, makes you go "huh, I guess". This question? Oh hoh this question.
    It says "the time is 3:30pm, what is the minimum number of times you need to touch the clock to make it hit midnight"
    A riddle-y response, despite there being two hands, would be 1 hand, as you only need to move the minute hand and the hour hand will follow! Or maybe just the hour hand as it crosses over the minute hand, you get the idea.
    The answer? 0 times... you can just wait.
    ...
    ...
    Yeah? That's ho-... that's how clocks wo- wait?

In this game, wrong answers lose points. You're told before all of this to get as many as they may help at the end! This is before the FIRST puzzle.
    The answer to puzzle two is just how clocks work. This isn't a riddle, it doesn't change your perspective. If the reponse is "don't overthink" Lemmie break it down into two groups, 'cause that's not a bad idea sometimes!
    1) You haven't done puzzles/riddles before: Then this is a great time to start thinking outside the box! "What challenges will come later, what kind of game is this" the player'll think. Then they just have to "know" the answer. This misleads the player, and for future ones they won't initially think as hard, failing some attempts because the game was a bad teacher of its own mechanics. You lose by not thinking
    2) You *have* done puzzles/riddles before: The player knows "there's no way it's *this* easy, this isn't even a riddle". They put in "1" and lose points. You lose by thinking.

At just the *second* puzzle, the game punishes you for caring about the points in the game. And if the player doesn't care about the points, then why put them in your game?

Layton's Mystery Journey is bad in all non-game-related aspects, and in their game-related aspects. Don't waste your money.

Invest in indie games. Baba is You is an incredible switch title!

Mixed or average reviews - based on 38 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    May 1, 2020
    I would have liked to see a better payoff to the story's setup at the end of the game. [Issue #45 – March/April 2020, p. 69]
  2. Apr 28, 2020
    My only real gripes with the game come from the occasionally too long dialogue sequences (it seems that every character has to quip or comment about Katrielle's current course of action) and the frustrating lack of resolution at the end of the game. Although the game obviously sets up a sequel, neither of the two core mysteries introduced at the outset of the game are solved at all. If you're looking for some charming brain teasers and puzzles to distract you from the current goings-on, give Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy a try.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Great for newcomers, perhaps a little easy for experienced puzzle solvers but still a pleasant puzzle game with its typical humour and an episodic approach to storytelling. [Issue#300]