4.7

1. Oct 16, 2019
    The game is utterly devoid of depth in its battle systems or mechanics. The rpg aspects might as well be in name only, and even then, fighting quickly gets repetitive and is far too luck based.

The main game is also flooded with too many systems to keep track of, and just bogs the game down as a whole. The story is unimpressive and small in scope, and while that isn’t a bad thing in its

The story is unimpressive and small in scope, and while that isn’t a bad thing in its own, it adds to the feeling of lackluster design present in the game already.

The music by Toby Fox is the game’s only real redeeming quality
  2. Oct 16, 2019
    This game is great, salty Pokémon fans can eat it. Stop review bombing because your salty. This game is fun.
  3. Nov 18, 2019
    It has bugs, sometimes the walking animation doesn't show up, the game freezes before a cutscene, the gameplay is difficult and it relies so much on luck. The character design is unpolished and the same models are used over and over even on the same area. This is an RPG but you can't buy anything from the shops. Gamefreak really should take a rest or care more about the endproducy.
  4. Apr 19, 2020
    The game's a trainwreck. I don't know what other people are on about, but nothing in this game was able to delight me enough to even finish it. It didn't run well, the battle system was neat at first but quickly became tedious and unfair around the midway point, it doesn't look that great, and there are even multiple grammatical errors in the game's dialogue. I've never felt so stronglyThe game's a trainwreck. I don't know what other people are on about, but nothing in this game was able to delight me enough to even finish it. It didn't run well, the battle system was neat at first but quickly became tedious and unfair around the midway point, it doesn't look that great, and there are even multiple grammatical errors in the game's dialogue. I've never felt so strongly that I wanted my money back. At least the soundtrack's decent, but that wasn't even GameFreak's doing. If you really do want to play this game, wait for a sale. It's nowhere close to being worth even $25. They should've just let Toby Fox make the whole game. Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2020
    This game is the unfortunate result of something that could have been much more. Lacks depth, is ridiculously repetitive, and overall lackluster. The only thing to see is wasted potential. If only Gamefreak wasn't working on multiple projects in a short window. Let this be a lesson to developers to never split your resources across 3 to 4 games.
  6. Feb 18, 2020
    Jamás creí que un juego de Game Freak logrará ser así de lento y monótono. Muy aburrido tristemente. Si mejor parte es la música pero no es mucho decir.
  7. Jun 18, 2020
    Allow me to preface, I can easily say that the 40+ hours I've spent playing this game was a rollercoaster. The presentation oozes with charm. The soundtrack is nice, there are a few stand-out songs here. The story has a bit of a 'slice-of-life' feel; I found the main cast of characters to be goofy and lovable. The presentation is very simplistic and colorful, which boggles my mind when itAllow me to preface, I can easily say that the 40+ hours I've spent playing this game was a rollercoaster. The presentation oozes with charm. The soundtrack is nice, there are a few stand-out songs here. The story has a bit of a 'slice-of-life' feel; I found the main cast of characters to be goofy and lovable. The presentation is very simplistic and colorful, which boggles my mind when it comes to the actual performance of the game. From several hiccups in cutscenes and gameplay to outright freezing in menus and extras, there's no excuse as to why something that looks simple is so poorly optimized.

The actual gameplay? Oh boy... This is the conundrum.

The main battle system is similar to the likes of a board/card game that emphasizes resource management, and Luck/RNG. I found that there is much depth with this system, as you find yourself with much to keep track of; From the power system to activate ideas, the space that you roll on, managing headspace (or deck) for your actions, the management of BP, the passive and aggressive effects of ideas, and mixing ideas together for stronger attacks and defensive options, there's a lot to keep in mind when in battle (Even to the point on where you'll find yourself planning around getting hit!). With so much to manage, you'll find that there's nuance to this system.

It's the enemies that make this battle system fall apart.

You see, the villagers and monsters that you face don't abide by the same restrictions that you have. You have a limited amount of options and resources that can be tough to accumulate, but easy to exhaust, all while battling enemies that have unlimited resources, and the secondary effects of their actions are too strong. You'll find yourself working very hard in these battles and despite that rush of satisfaction when beating them, it's not worth the amount of time and effort spent on a glorified arms race.

Little Town Hero has inklings of potential, the game has an interesting concept; however, it's marred with too many hiccups in execution. Despite the light-hearted and charming presentation, simplistic story, and a great soundtrack, the act of actually playing is a war of attrition, except you're at the mercy of the draw of the "cards", and the luck of the roll.
  8. Oct 20, 2019
    There are games that you know are bad and avoid, then there's games that you have really high hopes for that disappoint: Little Town Hero is the latter. I had really high hopes for this, given GameFreak (the same developers from the Pokemon Series were behind it), and when Toby fox was announced to be a part of the project I daydreamed about an incredible "meta-game" with ground breakingThere are games that you know are bad and avoid, then there's games that you have really high hopes for that disappoint: Little Town Hero is the latter. I had really high hopes for this, given GameFreak (the same developers from the Pokemon Series were behind it), and when Toby fox was announced to be a part of the project I daydreamed about an incredible "meta-game" with ground breaking mechanics.
    While the game looks fine, it suffers heavily from poor optimization and lag in various moments of the game, especially during cutscenes. The fights take WAY longer than you'd want them to, and the designs aren't very unique or vary much. But what really ruins it is the fighting system: mixing a board game (like Mario Party) with typical RPG systems (akin to Octopath Traveler), it seems like GameFreak had no idea what they were doing and confused originality for good mechanics. That is to say nothing about the plot itself, which (avoiding spoilers) goes nowhere. Sure, the game is meant to happen in ONE Little Town...but when that Town is so little and so lifeless, it cant but be interpreted as laziness.

I didn't enjoy this game; and if people give it really high ratings, I can't but suspect they are doing it for off-topic reasons. You should never buy this game unless it goes heavily on sale and you want to study it as to know what NOT to do when developing core game mechanics.
  9. Oct 16, 2019
    To keep thing spoiler free for the game, the game isn't terrible, but it also isn't the greatest RPG. Allow me to explain my feelings on this.

- The game's town can feel a little short and claustrophobic and while I'm glad it makes you feel how small the town really is, it can be a bit of an angst at times. - The combat is pretty interesting and creative and if refined a bit more,

- The combat is pretty interesting and creative and if refined a bit more, would definitely be found more enjoyable. Changes that need to be made though is that it needs a better balancing system when it comes to the monsters and humans should be able to use the same kind of strategies you do. Also, there needs to be more moves within the game to justify the idea aspect.

- The story is short, but it's also charming. It doesn't overstay its welcome and can be nice if people are looking for shorter RPGs.

- The NPC dialogue is bubbly and can be charming, but the NPCs themselves can have some drag to them due to repeating models (it's more present in this game than most due to the Town aspect, it's not much different than other RPGs).

- While the combat is fun, it can also be a bit niche for those who aren't used to playing card games like Magic The Gathering or Hearthstone.

Overall the game is a six out of ten. If they fixed some gameplay elements and decided to make the game's overall setting be about town with trading with other towns to get more ideas and inspirations alongside introducing a proper tutorial (thank you online guides from people like DistantKingdom), the game would've been one of my favorite titles within the switch.
  10. Nov 8, 2019
    Started a bit sceptic about this game after reading very negative reviews. Instead, I loved it from the beginning, the story is light and fun, the battle system is intelligent and challenging.

Although the light story, little kids or people who don't like this kind of battle system might have some hard time trying to play it.
  11. Nov 8, 2019
    I bought this for my nephew and he didn't like it. After hearing what he had to say along with my own experience playing it, there are many grievances that could've been easily fixed

1) The battle system is probably the worst garbage I've seen to this day. A game based on a coin flip would be more engaging. It uses a overtly complicated Rock Paper Scissors format with names that are difficult to remember. It also gets tedious as you keep rinsing through it over and over on a board game

2) The NPCs are recycled. Let's put it this way, a GameCube game has more variety in NPCs than this game. Imagine if I copy and paste the same 2-3 villagers in Animal Crossing, but EVERYWHERE

3) Animations are wonky

4) Feedback loop for incentivizing playing this game is nonexistent. The bigggest problem is the battle system, it ruins the game completely. My nephew and I had more fun playing Pokémon Stadium and The Mana series than this hunk of garbage. Stay away from this, your pocket will cry and the person you're buying this for won't appreciate your tastes.
  12. Nov 8, 2019
    Pokemon aside! I bought this game with high hopes giving Game Freak the benefit of a doubt. When I started playing the game I was kind impressed and it started fun, but even with easy settings playing though this game is just based on luck! Which in my case just give me a Legend of Zelda game where I can progress and get more powerful, so I can feel like I am in control. But this game justPokemon aside! I bought this game with high hopes giving Game Freak the benefit of a doubt. When I started playing the game I was kind impressed and it started fun, but even with easy settings playing though this game is just based on luck! Which in my case just give me a Legend of Zelda game where I can progress and get more powerful, so I can feel like I am in control. But this game just feels like waste of time and gambling which honestly is my own bad for buying a game ahead of time. I didn't even know I was buying a board game nor a card game ahead of time. I didn't even finish playing this game and don't feel like continuing.... I just want a refund but guess that's out of the question. This game has some potential, but needs lots of tweaks here and there and the "based on luck" is just not for me personally. Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2019
    I honestly feel like I wasted my time playing it. There is a plethora of similar RPG games that do this genre a lot better and with an actual story that grips the person playing it. I expected better from Game Freak.
  14. Nov 20, 2019
    Game Freak at it's best. Their developers are 20 years behind the rest of the industry when it comes to coding and animations.
  15. Oct 16, 2019
    The first hour of me playing this game was needlessly frustrating. Not only did I get crashes (yes, I'm being serious) But I also had many bugs, including ones that prevented me from progressing the game, at one point the sound completely kicked out and I was left playing in uncomfortable silence.

All of this would have been bearable, if it wasn't just a lazy, copy and paste, and more importantly, completely boring RPG that kept me invested for about 2 hours before I began to get sick of it. After those 2 hours, everything felt more like a chore, and I gave up even trying. The battle and 'quest' system is so bare bones that it leaves you thinking why they even bothered in the first place.

Save your money, this game sucks.
  16. Oct 18, 2019
    Boring and way too short. Not worth the cost at all. Wish there was more to explore.
  17. Oct 26, 2019
    One of the worst games i played this year. Here is why:
    1- Endless unskipable animations during combat.
    2-irrelevant player strategies with such RNG for ideas. 3-During fights when rolling the dice (1-4) always rolls the same 3 or 4. 4-Player is often forced to do things with npcs blocking the road. There are so much more that could say about this horrible game, but most important
    One of the worst games i played this year. Here is why:
    1- Endless unskipable animations during combat.
    2-irrelevant player strategies with such RNG for ideas.
    3-During fights when rolling the dice (1-4) always rolls the same 3 or 4.
    4-Player is often forced to do things with npcs blocking the road.
    There are so much more that could say about this horrible game, but most important thing is, dont buy it, just avoid it like the plague.
  18. Nov 15, 2019
    Mecánicas Sosas y un acabado visual no a la altura de Switch, Una dificultad estúpidamente Elevada donde lo único que resalta es la musica de TobyFox
  19. Nov 6, 2019
    This sucks. The combat system is a complete mess, you can barely understand what's going on, and in order to improve you need to almost make a doctore in this game. The characters are flat, and the enviroment is just as beautiful as empty. It's a very sad game. I give them two points because effort was put in here.
  20. Oct 18, 2019
    Just a horrible game! Don't waste your money in this game. A total trash and a cashgrab.
  21. Oct 17, 2019
    FOR CARD GAME FANS: If you enjoy card games, you'll find this game trivial and boring. There's no deck customization, just the mechanics of 'izzits' having an attack and defense stat. (Red being attack, yellow being defend, and blue being spells basically). It's not a card game, I repeat, it is NOT a card game. If you are used to playing card games, you will hate this game because theFOR CARD GAME FANS: If you enjoy card games, you'll find this game trivial and boring. There's no deck customization, just the mechanics of 'izzits' having an attack and defense stat. (Red being attack, yellow being defend, and blue being spells basically). It's not a card game, I repeat, it is NOT a card game. If you are used to playing card games, you will hate this game because the system is overly simplified, uncustomizable aside from outright +1 buffs from a skill tree and random moves you get TEMPORARILY from the maps you play on to use for one boss fight. If the cards were carried over or you could customize your deck at all, it might be a more interesting game with the opportunity to actually modify your deck in a meaningful way. One of the reasons I bought this game is because those mechanics excited me, and was incredibly let down.

MY REVIEW: So.... I really wanted to like this game, and I tried really hard to. I was very excited about this when it was announced, since I loved Pocket Card Jockey for the 3DS.

This game is not fun though.

It is severely lacking in polish and funness. The overworld map somehow is too large considering the tasks available. When you're not in combat, the game boils down to "Walk here, watch badly animated cutscene, walk there." Rinse and repeat until you get to the chapter finale and fight some big boss. They put in the option to fast travel, which half the time is disabled because the game requires you to walk over to an NPC to trigger a cutscene. During the 3rd chapter, I literally had to fight my rival two times in a row in order to walk ANYWHERE else on the map... why even give me the option of walking away? Just start the battle automatically if there's no other option! There are a variety of shops in the town which seem like they should have functionality in some way, but there's no money system. I think if this game had been worked on longer and more fleshed out, it would be a lot better. I think the barebones of the system were finished, and then the rest of the game was just forgotten about.

I wish my woes ended there. The battle system is also not very good. Once you get into the rhythm of the game, you quickly realize that the enemies are much stronger than you, and you're forced to use map gimmicks to beat the boss. This usually means for the first 9 rounds you are trying to collect whatever cards you can if you mario-party style randomly roll the correct number to walk around a small map while you build up your energy meter so you have the max 6 mana limit to cast all your spells, and then hope you have enough cards left in your deck to actually beat the boss without dying first.

I have to state again, I really wanted to like this game. Unfortunately for 25$, I gotta say this is overpriced. Combat is repetitive and unfun. This game might be entertaining if you are 8-10, but honestly the random elements would probably make it too frustrating for a kid.
  22. Oct 17, 2019
    This tedious game was what they prioritized their self-inflicted limited resources to?
  23. Nov 7, 2019
    Way too short and boring. Pretty generic. Pokémon Sword and Shield paid the price for this garbage game.
  24. Oct 28, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. F*ck Gamefreak, F*ck Masuda, you have wasted your time creating a game that nobody wants instead of improving Pokémon Sword and Shield graphics to be as the beatiful as Luigi's Mansion 3, and no Masuda, there was no reason to cut Pokémon since you basically reused everything from sun and moon, even the new rival reuses Tilo's animations. Iwata wouldIwata would be dessapointed because of you and your team, conformists Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2019
    I honestly hate to rate this game knowing they pulled resources from Pokemon. Who thought it was a good idea to have the main team work on an RPG indy board game while GF had a chance to create the greatest Pokemon console game ever. But no, we get this steamy pile RPG and a Pokemon game with 400 less Pokemon, sub par animations, less content for more money. GF really screwed the pooch on this.
  26. Nov 11, 2019
    I just wasn't feeling it. Not my type of game. Hopefully the do better next time. I thought I could love this like I do pokemon but I didn't.
  27. Nov 16, 2019
    National Dex died for this garbage.
    It's trying to be an RPG, a deck-building game, and Mario Party all at the same time.
    Those just do not mix.
    If you want an RPG with deck building mechanics, you're better off playing Megaman Battle Network or Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (or it's remake).
  28. Nov 17, 2019
    Ruined Pokemon for this piece of **** game. The music is fun but the combat looks so slooooow. Changing moves. Breaking opponents moves. Moving every turn. It feels like I’m looking at paper mario sticker star and I genuinely hated that game’s combat and progression.
  29. Oct 17, 2019
    For what is supposed to be Game Freak's passion project, this game is a shallow representation only further displaying the complete lack of ambition this company has. Cutting your development team in half to focus on something that makes the team happy? More like cut the team in half to put out two mediocre products in a season instead of maybe one not mediocre one. I had incredible hopesFor what is supposed to be Game Freak's passion project, this game is a shallow representation only further displaying the complete lack of ambition this company has. Cutting your development team in half to focus on something that makes the team happy? More like cut the team in half to put out two mediocre products in a season instead of maybe one not mediocre one. I had incredible hopes for Game Freak's mainline series console debut with Pokemon. If this is the level of quality that Game Freak WANTS to put out, then hope truly is lost for the Pokemon series as long as it remains in this developers control. Might as well make mobile games instead of this constant disappointing churn-ware. There are games on the switch with x1000 more substance than this. Spend your money where it shows some value...

The combat is primarily luck based. Most of the strategy and skill ends up boiling down to rng. The visuals are fine but I really don't think visuals should buy back an entire mediocre game. There are some okay/relatively unique ideas in the combat, but it's either not fleshed out enough or grounded by the randomness. Want a better JRPG? Play Dragon Quest. Want better strategy? Play Fire Emblem. Overall I don't think this game has much to offer that any other game can't trump. There is also terrible pacing in the first hour or two, very boring and slogging along waiting for my game to get good isn't enjoyable at all.

Look at Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Smash Bros. Ultimate. This is what dedication to quality can achieve.
  30. Oct 18, 2019
    I think it's better gamefreak focus only in Pokemon, this game is boring from the start to the end, with a dificulty very frustantig, the handicap between the hero and monster are, most of the time, way bigger and you see yourself in a situation where you depend soleny on lucky. There's bni strategy, there's grinding,
  31. Oct 16, 2019
    The fact that every good review this game has is from pokemon shills who are here to "drown out the haters" tells you all you need to know. Imagine Sticker Star's combat, mixed with Mario Party's board game play, but only boss boss battles, and a single town that quickly grows old with its unchanging, dead atmosphere. The only thing you will be doing outside of the boring, tedious battlesThe fact that every good review this game has is from pokemon shills who are here to "drown out the haters" tells you all you need to know. Imagine Sticker Star's combat, mixed with Mario Party's board game play, but only boss boss battles, and a single town that quickly grows old with its unchanging, dead atmosphere. The only thing you will be doing outside of the boring, tedious battles are fetch quests, and wondering if your game just froze or if it's just a cutscene. Another drop in the bucket for Gamefreak's terrible saga of uninspired, lazy and downright insulting resume. Do yourself a favor, and buy a game that you'll want to play for more than 5 minutes. Expand
  32. Oct 16, 2019
    Little Town Hero is shallow and limited in content, and according to GameFreak correspondence in the lead-up to its release, deliberately so. It is designed to be completed quickly due to perceived time constraints face by its audience. While this is perhaps desirable for mobile games, it is unacceptable for a full-price, console offering. In terms of content offers minimal value.Little Town Hero is shallow and limited in content, and according to GameFreak correspondence in the lead-up to its release, deliberately so. It is designed to be completed quickly due to perceived time constraints face by its audience. While this is perhaps desirable for mobile games, it is unacceptable for a full-price, console offering. In terms of content offers minimal value.

Combat is limited, shallow and repetitive. The gimmick here comes in the form of "izzits", which are ideas utilized to tackle bosses once they are converted into "dazzits". It's a welcome attempt at innovation, but ultimately resembles Paper Mario Sticker Star in all the wrong ways. And beyond that, this is standard JRPG fare with little to distinguish itself, at least not in a positive way.

Story and character progression are one-dimensional. A pleasant art direction and Toby Fox soundtrack offer a silver lining to what is otherwise a bland, uninspiring RPG experience. Frequent and severe performance issues exacerbate the unpleasantness of it all. Be sure to skip town on this one.
  33. Oct 16, 2019
    From this game I found interesting the epic idea of fighting problems with ideas as a game & the song and dance you do after winning a fight. Applying these to real life is a fun time
  34. Oct 23, 2019
    Little Town Hero is a pathetic excuse for a video game. So boring and bland. Do not buy.
  35. Oct 23, 2019
    Not good. Ruined Pokémon fit this. I can’t believe all resources were put into this game. Very sad
  36. Oct 25, 2019
    Pokemons recorces were wasted on this half assed card battle game. No deck building, and really should have been on mobil
  37. Oct 24, 2019
    **** graphics, no voices, **** story, **** music and very **** gameplay. Nothing saves this trash.
  38. Nov 4, 2019
    Id give this crap a negative score if possible. What a boring ugly game. We lost a complete pokemon game because gamefreak wasted resources on this crap.
  39. Nov 4, 2019
    In the end, I solely admire that Game Freak managed to create what was clearly a passion project. However, there are quite a few flaws with the game. Primarily the gameplay being overly big and messy while also being quite tedious. Plus the bland character doesn’t really help as well. However, there is some aspect that helps it a lot like the magnificent soundtrack, enjoyable dialogue andIn the end, I solely admire that Game Freak managed to create what was clearly a passion project. However, there are quite a few flaws with the game. Primarily the gameplay being overly big and messy while also being quite tedious. Plus the bland character doesn’t really help as well. However, there is some aspect that helps it a lot like the magnificent soundtrack, enjoyable dialogue and great visuals. If this game gets a sequel and fixes these issues and tweaks a few other aspects of the game. Little Town Hero could be something special in the JRPG community. Expand
  40. Oct 16, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was fun but not perfect. The gameplay was funny but frustraring some times. It good to see Game Freak making a non Pokémon J-RPG Expand
  41. Oct 17, 2019
    Meh. They spent all their resources on this instead of a good next iteration of their bread and butter
  42. Oct 17, 2019
    Looks bad, sounds boring, plays even worse. I just wish the developer released this game earlier and focused on the other games we really care about
  43. Oct 16, 2019
    The game itself is not bad, but it fails in terms of story, the final boss is predictible, the gameplay at the hour becomes boring, and it doesn't have an incentive to continue playing.
  44. Oct 16, 2019
    It's a little slow going, but what it lacks in tension it picks way up in charm. Little Town Hero is one everyone should give a shot.
  45. Oct 16, 2019
    Boring story, battle style, don't buy it, just in a 50% sale The only good thing it's the music, but you can listen it in YT
  46. Oct 17, 2019
    Maybe focus on the series you’re renowned and acclaimed for gamefreak, the music was annoying, repetitive and the combat systems are convoluted. “Ideas” as attacks have interesting potential that never comes to fruition. In lieu of that, it’s needlessly complicated, frustrating and not fun. Which is puzzling since pokemon battles are a master of depth disguised as simplicity
  47. Oct 16, 2019
    Oh god, i adore this game. Yeah, the story may be pretty generic especially for the JRPG genre, but the funny characters, thoughtful Battle system(pun intended), and clever dialogue more than make up for its lackluster story. Now I’ll admit, the game is not for everyone. The main area is pretty small, and the game is really only filled with boss battles. Really the only thing to do inOh god, i adore this game. Yeah, the story may be pretty generic especially for the JRPG genre, but the funny characters, thoughtful Battle system(pun intended), and clever dialogue more than make up for its lackluster story. Now I’ll admit, the game is not for everyone. The main area is pretty small, and the game is really only filled with boss battles. Really the only thing to do in between battles are fetch quests, which can get boring. Now, let’s get into what sold this game for me..:

THE BATTLES.

The battle system is one of the most fun I’ve played in a while, on par with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (the systems are nowhere near alike so don’t worry if you didn’t like the system in XC2). If I could compare it to anything, it would be a card game like Magic the Gathering or maybe even Hearthstone (though I haven’t played Hearthstone so don't quote me on that), with its slow progression. The battle system basically takes place on a Mario Party esc board, with a dice(ish) and everything. Allies are placed around the board, and if you’re able to navigate to them, they help you out in various ways. Wether it be taking out a heart of your enemy or an extra attack, it’s something you almost always want to use as soon as possible. Your attacks are layed out as ideas, Meaning that something has to be done to them to use them, and that something is basically mana in any other game, but i honestly don’t know what it’s called in this game. You spend varying amounts of mana on different attacks to use them, and in order to end a turn you either have to struggle (loose a heart and potentially deal one damage to an opposing attack) or defeat all of the enemies attacks. If we compare this to a card game, think of Pokémon TCG, but instead of Pokémon fighting each other it’s attacks attacking each other. The majority of the attacks have two stats; a sword stat and a shield stat (controversial, amirite?). Let’s say that one side attacks with something that has a sword stat of 3 and a shield stat of 4. That means that this does 3 damage to the opponents shield stat. The opponent attacks with an attack that has a sword stat of 2 and a shield stat of 5. The Two attacks now have a lower shield stat, but not a lower sword stat. If the shield stat runs out, the attack “breaks” and cannot be used until The attack is “restored by spending BP “break points” to restore the attack as an idea again back in the headspace (basically a idea box). The goal of the battle is to take out all three of the opponents hearts. As far as I know of, there are two ways to do this. The first is by getting an all break which has a chance to bring up a “chance attack” where you get to choose an attack to take out a heart, or by playing a specific type of card that takes out a heart. It can get really intense, which is mainly from the massive RNG for a lot of things in the battle system. Oh, yeah, i almost forgot. Ideas are spit into 3 types: red, which are just basic attacks, yellow, usually weaker attacking but shield, and blue, which is mainly support or what could be classified as a type of magic attack.

There is still more to the battle system, but i have to stop here because were already over 3,200 characters. But there’s still one more question;

Should you buy it?

My answer is...
    No. Don’t buy it until you’ve tried playing it at a friends house or something. The battle system is so hit or miss for so many people, it’s just not worth spending 25 dollars on a game you may find excruciating.
    But please, if you like card games like Magic or Pokémon, you’ll probably like this game at least a bit. Well, that about wraps it up.
  48. Oct 17, 2019
    I can see why people like it
    Music is good
    Combat is mediocre It’s very charming with a cute Let’s go style design to me I think it’s a good fair price 25$ for this game is not bad Feels to linear It seems like something I will trade in to Best Buy and go get another game at the same price like seriously compared to other Greta switch games under 25 dollars I could’ve gotten Hollow
    I can see why people like it
    Music is good
    Combat is mediocre
    It’s very charming with a cute Let’s go style design to me
    I think it’s a good fair price 25$ for this game is not bad
    Feels to linear
    It seems like something I will trade in to Best Buy and go get another game at the same price like seriously compared to other Greta switch games under 25 dollars I could’ve gotten Hollow knight or the best game on switch untitled goose game ha ha just kidding
    Pokémon is beating it this year, I think little town hero is something that can be tweaked with a sequel that improves the gameplay a bit and a bit more it can be a great new series but right now I’m still excited to see what they’ll do with this game next I don’t think it’s doing well because salty Pokémon fans and not really good marketing for it
    So 6.4/10
  49. Oct 16, 2019
    They cutted content for pokemon SWSH for this game, and even with that, they make a mediocre game. Do yourself a favor and buy DQ11 instead, it's a better RPG than this
  50. Oct 17, 2019
    It is really strange how most reviewers criticise the game for not being a traditional easy going grindfest JRPG (don't get me wrong i love those games).
    This is a very tactical, strategic, and very demanding card game dressed with a charming presentation. I get that this is confusing but I expect reviewers to be able to see through it and point it out to their audiences.
    So bottom line,
    So bottom line, if you expect a Pokemon like experience (or a traditional JRPG) this game is not for you. If you are looking for a game with a very interesting deep and challenging turn based combat that's based on skill and not grind, you will have a blast with this game.
  51. Oct 16, 2019
    I've liked what I played so far of Little Town Hero, although it's not for everyone, and battles do tend to drag on.

I dislike the dex cut too, but we shouldn't be 0-bombing Little Town Hero over it. (I don't plan on buying SwSh at all)
  52. Nov 19, 2019
    Work hard on Pokémon not other game.
    Stop letting all the fans down.
    Change the ceo pleases he can do nothing.
  53. Oct 18, 2019
    I would have given this a 7, but since this is metacritic, it has to be a 10.

The game looks absolutely charming. The music is what you'd expect from Toby Fox. Each opponent has its own combat bgm. The story does what it needs to do, but don't expect anything groundbreaking. The real draw is in the combat. Just do me a favour, don't approach this like some kind of typical RPG. There is
    I would have given this a 7, but since this is metacritic, it has to be a 10.

The real draw is in the combat. Just do me a favour, don't approach this like some kind of typical RPG. There is no way to overpower your opponent by outleveling them. You're going to have to learn the mechanics. To say this game is 'purely luck based' does this game and card games in general a disservice. Approach this like you would a card game. While you never get to upgrade your default 'deck' of ideas, every idea has a purpose. The key is always to look carefully at what you have. Knowing your enemy also helps. You can face bosses you've defeated before in a mode which strips from you all the upgrades you've earned with eureka points. I found that I have way less problems with this, now that I know the boss and the layout of the map. You simply have to use all the tools available to you. If you can achieve full break, go for it. Don't try to hold on to something powerful just because you think it might be more useful later. Be aware of your position on the map. Explore all the little details in the system. Swapping out a dazzit turns it back into an izzit, restoring it's values to the default. Losing a heart restores all ideas, including the ones you collect from the map. The ideas you get from the map also tend to allow you to deal with that boss's mechanics in some way. Such as a boss that breaks ideas before you even get to use them giving you the opportunity to revive ideas while breaking all of his. The strategy is in how you use the tools available to you. You always have options. Even taking a hit to the face can be a strategy.

With all that out of the way the game has very obvious performance issues. Nothing that makes the game unplayable, but the game will simply freeze at certain moments which really shouldn't happen. The camera is also kind of weird, and the character moves incredibly slowly through this town which is large by virtue of moving through it so slowly, not in terms of actual size. None of these break the game but these problems are a constant presence which detracts from your experience.

It's a typical Gamefreak thing where lack of skill in development is made up for in sheer design and charm.

It's a cheap eshop game that plays like a cheap eshop game. It's worth the price.
  54. Oct 17, 2019
    I think it’s quiet nice but they haven’t used all of their resources. At all it’s a game which make fun
  55. Nov 12, 2019
    This game was difficult to get into the groove, but once I got the hang of the mechanics, I fell in love it’s the combat and quirky battle style. Frustrating as it was, I enjoyed the unique monsters and world little town hero provided.
  56. Oct 17, 2019
    Muitas pessoas colocaram reviews negativas antes do jogo lançar só porque a game freak Quis fazer esse projeto em vez de focar completamente no pokémon
  57. Oct 26, 2019
    I’m a little confused is as to why people are even complaining about Pokémon on this review. This is a different game altogether and I don’t understand why people would even attempt to delicate a company’s resources for them. With that being said. The game is cute, fun, and charming. It falls along the lines as a bit repetitive at times as most RPGs do. It is worth giving a shot.
  58. Oct 28, 2019
    When I heard that Gamefreak was developing a game which was not Pokemon, I was very happy, because they have the guts not to only develope Pokemon but create an entirely new franchise . When I first saw the trailer from the Nintendo Direct,I had no interest to buy this game, but then I saw the reviews and almost of them were bad. So I decided to buy this game and give it chance, because IWhen I heard that Gamefreak was developing a game which was not Pokemon, I was very happy, because they have the guts not to only develope Pokemon but create an entirely new franchise . When I first saw the trailer from the Nintendo Direct,I had no interest to buy this game, but then I saw the reviews and almost of them were bad. So I decided to buy this game and give it chance, because I think that you can only rate a game when you have played it yourself completely through. So I have bought it for 25 € in the eshop and wanted to see myself if this game is that bad.

It took me rougly 37 hours to finish this game. With nine chapters in total, this game was for me not to short, because I have also done the subquests which rewards you with Eureka Points and characters, which support you in battle. Eureka Points are used to improve your ideas and also you gain Eureka Points when you loose a battle. So the next battle will be different, because you have some perks that will help you to win the battle, when you retry. The average turns in a battle took for little enemies (have only 3 hearts) between 10 turns and for boss battles (have 3 hearts and guts which is the shield) almost 20 turns. Overall the gameplay was sometimes frustrating due to that the ideas and your opponent 's were really luck based. Sometimes you can play strategic and sometimes the ideas are not in your favor and you will loose no matter how good you are. So some of the battles took me around 4 tries to beat a boss.

What I really love about this game was the story , the characters and the music and I don't care about graphics. The story was for me not predictable and the plot twist in the end was for me vey surprisng.

Some technical issues were that sometimes the frame rate was going down and the loading screen has stucked for 5 seconds.

In short I really love and hate this game and I was so glad when I saw the credits. Even if you loose battles you can beat this game if you have a lot of patience.

So give it a try and don't listen to the other reviews.
  59. Oct 17, 2019
    This game is not only enchanting and beautiful in design and storyline, but the card like battle system mixed with the Monster Hunter / Pokemon RPG fighting style really impressed me most. I think most people just want to hate on "cutesy games" and not see the potential and say it's for kids. 10/10 I think they should add co OP multiplayer
  60. Oct 30, 2019
    Charming, short game with likeable characters and a great soundtrack. The battle mechanics are a bit difficult at first, but once you understand them, there's a lot of room for creativity. The game feels a bit unpolished, has framerate issues and the animations aren't fantastic. Overall it's an enjoyable game, but it would be better if they took more time to fix these issues.
  61. Oct 18, 2019
    Review bombing is lame and people need to stop being **** and this is coming from someone who is actually hyped for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Anyway, this game is fun and incredibly creative. Takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out, it's a blast.
  62. Oct 16, 2019
    The game is pretty good. Listen Pokemon fans review bombing this game I'm upset at how sword and shield has looked so far too but making this game look bad isn't going to help that any. This game is a fun little rpg that's well worth the 25$ asking price.
  63. Oct 19, 2019
    Let me begin by saying that this is a strategy game. If you come to it expecting JRPG fights, you are going to be disappointed. As a strategy game, though, it's very intense. I have been playing in bursts, basically taking a break after monster fights, which are very long.

What starts off as a deceptively simple card game quickly turns into nuanced combat puzzles: it's also part board game and resource management. There were so many decisions that I felt both exhausted and exhilarated after an early monster fight, so much so that I was grateful for the time in between fights. They're slow paced and deliberate and it's a great breather from the action! The exposition is not thrown in your face and the characters are written well. Best of all, the main character has dialogue! No silent protagonist stuff here!

The art style of the game is fantastic and the monsters are very detailed and impressive. The town has character and even some weird things, such as the water having a checkerboard pattern, fit in well. Also, the music is fantastic, as to be expected. I don't want to add anything to it other than to say, go listen!

All in all, a great strategy game. Play it in chunks and be willing to set it down for awhile to let the experience cool down and I think you'll find a very satisfying, rewarding game here.
  64. Jul 21, 2020
    Little Town Hero
    Big potential
    Little Town Hero
    Big potential
    Little town hero is a jrpg game made from the developers game freak, if that name sounds familiar, this is the team that makes pokemon, so of course I was excited to see an alternate jrpg from this studio.. and of all their one offs, little town hero is the one most like pokemon.. this entre 1 hour game takes places in one little town, theres no traveling to different towns to take on monsters.. the monsters all come to you… you play as your own named character who happens to be a chosen one, youre able to se this gem to make you stronger just in time to take down the monsters that have been mysteriously showing up in this once peaceful town… Little Town hero takes place across 9 chapters and the length of those chapters depends on how much you want to do within this game world… Game Freak doesa great job at immersing you in this world as they do in the pokemon games, but sadly there isn’t much fun to be had going off the beaten path of the story.. there are sidequest that can going you support in future battles, and bonus bosses, but the rewards rarely outweigh the effort… as I wouldn’t qite call this game fun.. it’s a bit of a chore to get through, but a chroe I couldn’t put down…
    each chapter ends with a boss battle, bt before you get to this boss battle youll be doing a bunch of fetch quests and mini battles that are god awful slow… infact this entire game is a drag to play which can put off a lot of people.. a boss battle can take up to an hour depending on the boss youre fighting, and worse is that if you lose the entire battle starts all over again, but these battles are the best of little town hero.. bt before a boss battle you can use skill points earned from main, side quests, and previous bosses to boost your skills…each boss here has its own look, feel, and annoyance to deal with.. this is a bit of a war system rather than a rock paper sicors system, you have offensice and defensive attacks, and your goal is to use thee attacks to break the enemies attacks and still have an offensive attack to attack the bosses body at the end of a turn… do this 3 times and you win.. however it isn’t quite that simple… your attacks are ideas, these ideas much like a deck based game, can only be used until they’ve been defeated, and then theyre discarded.. and they all costs points to unlock, and as the battle progresses youll slowly be able to do more in each round as you slowly chip away at the boss.. personally I feel like this game should start aat 4 point rather than 3 as the first 3 turns feel useless and just like card burner rounds… other than that I love this system, I love the strategy involved in using different abilities to combat the bosses abilities and search for a vilnerablity to take the final blow… that is until this games very final boss… I wont show this boss to prevent spoilers but this is the one boss battle in the entire game where you really have to get lucky to win… it shows the biggest flaw little town hero possesses.. its system for regaining attacks… once you’ve used all of your attacks, you can regain them by spending earned battle points or by losing a heart… this all sounds fine.. until you realize you can only regain them by spending points so many times until youre forced to damage yourself to even be able to progress the battle which breaks the final boss and turns it into a luck based battle… If little town hero 2 does happen, and I hope that it does, we absolutely either need to automatically get our thoughts back once weve used them all, or be able to continue reviving them with earned points… its unfair to force fails in the final moments of battle because you didn’t get the right draw or roll of the dice on the board game aspect of this game… an aspect that I really like here.. there is a roll of a dice that allows you to take different baths to use supports to damage the boss or boost your attacks… another great level of strategy added to thi game to prevent it from being shallow..
    I loved Little Town Hero… I cant quite understand why others are giving it such a rough time, but with a few minor changes such s started with 4 rather than 3, or adjustments to replenishing ideas, and there is a potentially really great or even amazing series here,
    I give little town hero
    a 7.5/10
  65. Jun 30, 2020
  66. Jul 27, 2020
    I don't think the dev team knows how to do side quest. Most of the design for side quest is garbage and confusing. I got all the way to chapter 8. But because of their side quest design, I decided not to border with the game anymore. I feel like the game would be much better if they just simply remove the entire side quest. Why do you even need it? No map, no list, and time-limited. WhoI don't think the dev team knows how to do side quest. Most of the design for side quest is garbage and confusing. I got all the way to chapter 8. But because of their side quest design, I decided not to border with the game anymore. I feel like the game would be much better if they just simply remove the entire side quest. Why do you even need it? No map, no list, and time-limited. Who needs garbage side quests (there is only a few of side quest). Basically I spend more time on trying to figure out whether if there is side quest available, wondering through the whole map, than spend time on fighting. If the whole side quest design is removed, i'd give it a 7.5. With it, 0 points. Expand
  67. Nov 19, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great little card game. Never too hard. Cute setting, fun characters, strong humor. Worth the money. Expand
  68. Jul 1, 2020
    un battle systemm innovant, de trés beau battle en prespective et des musique memorable, j'adore ce jeux
  69. Sep 5, 2020
    I personally love the game! The Battle mechanics take a little while to get used to. But overall The Artstyle , Story & Music is great! I had fun with it!
  70. Jan 27, 2022
    One of the best spin-offs that Game Freak has released to date, a nice RPG system, deep, but without being very complex
    Ideal for childrens.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Apr 29, 2020
    If Game Freak simply tweaked the battle system to run a little faster and be less rigged, the game could really shine. [Issue #43 – November/December 2019, p. 18SW]
  2. Nov 11, 2019
    Overall, Little Town Hero is a lot of great ideas mashed together with a solid story, but unpredictable combat, average graphics and forgettable music drag down and tend to overwhelm the best parts. Reducing the randomness of the largest battles or otherwise streamlining these encounters would have noticeably improved the game’s overall flow. As it stands, Little Town Hero is neither especially great nor particularly bad but harmlessly average; with ample patience in the face of bad luck, there’s the sparkle of an enjoyable gem hidden under the game’s false starts.
  3. Oct 30, 2019
    Despite having a battle system that, while interesting, can feel at odds with the rest of the game’s tone, Little Town Hero is a delightful, small-scale adventure that will calm and charm you with its serene setting, fun characters and joyful presentation.