7.7

1. May 13, 2020
    When I first tried this game, the controls felt dreadful and the frame rate choppy. I felt I had completely wasted my money and scored the game 0 in anger.

I still maintain that the switch is capable of running far more graphically demanding games without freezing. Despite all this, after persevering I have to say that this is one of the most fun games I have ever owned. The feeling of

The feeling of carving and sliding through the trails at blinding speed is unlike any other racer and you really feel a sense of accomplishment when you start to shave seconds of your times.

I dont often change my mind about reviews but am so glad I stuck with it.
  2. May 10, 2020
    It's a fun game for everyone. Casual gamers will enjoy either the zen-like nature of going down a mountain or how funny it is when you miscalculate a jump and fall from a great height, and more experienced gamers will enjoy the tough but fair challenges of getting down the trail without crashing or beating a specific time. Although the game sometimes suffers from framerate drops and lacksIt's a fun game for everyone. Casual gamers will enjoy either the zen-like nature of going down a mountain or how funny it is when you miscalculate a jump and fall from a great height, and more experienced gamers will enjoy the tough but fair challenges of getting down the trail without crashing or beating a specific time. Although the game sometimes suffers from framerate drops and lacks a more robust bike customization feature, Lonely Mountains is a fantastic experience that everyone should try. Expand
  3. May 17, 2020
    There's a really beautiful game under here, but there are a lot of physics inconsistencies that still need to get worked out.

Sprinting, a core mechanic, doesn't always work and the player will die getting caught on object corners at the slowest speeds. Disappointingly, several of the game's speed challenges aren't possible to complete with the "screen-based" control scheme due to how it's programmed on Switch which isn't called out anywhere.
  4. May 9, 2020
    Absolutely fantastic and Perfect for the Switch, both handheld and Docked modes. The vibration on the joycons also provide a great sensation.
  5. May 8, 2020
    I would love to say that it's a great port from xbox/ps4 but unfortunately it's not.

Graphix : I know that the Switch Hardware doesn't have the power of the Xbox and ps4 but the textures are muddy and not crisp..The game isn't graphically realistic..Switch should handle that easily Performance: Framerate stutter and fps drops are noticeable. Especially if you drive faster and better.

Gameplay : Smooth as on Ps4 and Xbox

Verdict : It's a great game. But the Performance Problems and the muddy Graphics Stopps it from being awesome.

I Hope the Developers put some work on it and patch it to make the experience better.

6. May 25, 2020
    I love this game. Its got an unusual camera for this type of game but it works with this game. Don’t expect the camera to remain fixed on your bike as is the case with most racing games. It’s pleasing to the eye and wallet. It’s a game I think I’ll be playing for a long time. Unlocking a new trail is genuinely exciting. I haven’t near reached completion but so far it’s an absolute blast.I love this game. Its got an unusual camera for this type of game but it works with this game. Don’t expect the camera to remain fixed on your bike as is the case with most racing games. It’s pleasing to the eye and wallet. It’s a game I think I’ll be playing for a long time. Unlocking a new trail is genuinely exciting. I haven’t near reached completion but so far it’s an absolute blast.
  7. May 17, 2020
    I'll try to be fair. The game is absolutely stellar if you're into purely sports games that reward delicate skill and a good amount of work to master them. However for the people that are mostly in for the fun and the exploration it is not their cup of tea because within a few minutes the exploration part of each level is done so roughly speaking the game is 80 to 90% purely e-sports skill based.
  8. May 13, 2020
    I’d not heard of this game, and being a fan of rally games I thought why not? Beautiful! So glad I found it. There are some occasional frame rate drops but nothing serious and only once has it caused an unavoidable crash. There is a certain peace when you feel you can slow down and just enjoy the nature sounds - so glad there is no soundtrack. Depending on the challenge you’re doing youI’d not heard of this game, and being a fan of rally games I thought why not? Beautiful! So glad I found it. There are some occasional frame rate drops but nothing serious and only once has it caused an unavoidable crash. There is a certain peace when you feel you can slow down and just enjoy the nature sounds - so glad there is no soundtrack. Depending on the challenge you’re doing you certainly don’t get punished when you crash, and by the time you get good, then the shortcuts and such are so satisfying, especially with the soundeffects of gravel on tyres. The controls have taken a little getting used to, but once my head was around it it’s just like learning any other control scheme. Only gripe is the occasional perspective based errors as there are points where I’d actively look and land not where I’d expect (usually with jumps). Great game. Expand
  9. May 20, 2020
    Lonely Mountains: Downhill is a low-budget sports game that dares to go places–both literally, and in a figurative sense.

Racing games are normally about learning the track. By contrast, this game is all about ignoring the beaten path and exploring the shortcuts. You might turn your shoulders to the track and jump off a scary cliff, dropping recklessly in a matter of seconds to a waypoint that would otherwise take you half a minute.

The gaming loop in Lonely Mountains is also the opposite of a traditional racing game. Instead of shaving a few fractions of a second out of a long race, you're hooked into very quick “die often, repeat instantly” loops that remind you of masocore indies like Super Meat Boy.

The innovative mechanics of LM:D would be enough to make this a compelling little game. Add a beautifully crafted environment, with minimalistic graphics and sound that create a peaceful atmosphere to temper the frustrating difficulty, and you get one of the best titles of 2020.
  10. May 21, 2020
    When indulging beyond easy challenges in day mode following issues become apparent.

Level Design: Obstacles are placed so that you need to learn courses by repetition in order to evade them in a quick fashion. The problem here is that you don't get a chance to learn about said obstacles without falling as the time-spans are too narrow to react. Needing to react before they're visible

Level Design:
    Needing to react before they're visible is frustrating and cheap difficulty. I'm surprised how this isn't criticized more often as these are game design basics.

Missions:
    You can do all available missions in the current list, e.g. 3/5 at once. When finishing those and unlocking new missions your best time doesn't count towards the new mission even if you theoretically would have completed the mission. For example you would complete 2 missions: Complete under 2min20sec, Complete with falling less than 13 times. You complete in 1min59sec with 8 falls. After that you'll unlock the mission to complete in 2 minutes 10 seconds. It's so much fun doing that again.

Performance:
    The performance issues make the game unplayable in night mode, other than that it's completely fine.

Sound Design:
    SFX without music. It's marketed as zen. For me it's cheaping out on sound design. Celeste is harder, fairer and more "zen" WITH (sublime) music.

Graphics:
    Even low-poly can be way more than that, but it's completely okay.

Conclusion:
    What could be a lighthearted and challenging biking game instead is a frustrating mess, not adhering to industry standards and basic game design rules. Far from being worth the price tag, probable half would be fair in my opinion.
    Despite all of this I have a slight impulse to play it as it's still kind of fun, although I feel betrayed by the game and its reviews.
  11. May 26, 2020
    Amazing little game. It is so much fun to race down the mountains slow as well as very fast. It also provides some nice depth due to the various bike variations that offer different skills which makes it lots of fun to play the tracks over and over to find all the crazy nice shortcuts. The steering is sometimes not that intuitive due to the camera movements but the pixel art and lovelyAmazing little game. It is so much fun to race down the mountains slow as well as very fast. It also provides some nice depth due to the various bike variations that offer different skills which makes it lots of fun to play the tracks over and over to find all the crazy nice shortcuts. The steering is sometimes not that intuitive due to the camera movements but the pixel art and lovely design are incredibly well done. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 1, 2020
    Lonely Mountains: Downhill feels very much at home on the Switch, and as such comes with our full endorsement, even if you haven’t already experienced it on another format.
  2. May 31, 2020
    Extreme sports come to Nintendo Switch thanks to Lonely Mountains: Downhill. Descending a mountain has never been so addicting and satisfying. If you like extreme sports simulation games and even if it is your first time with this type of titles, we recommend this challenge.
  3. May 15, 2020
    Whether you’re pedaling down tight paths with little margin for error, catching air off natural stone ramps, or getting a quicker than expected reprieve by cruising over a railed bridge, Lonely Mountains: Downhill delivers a challenging, yet remarkably calming, experience. Don’t let a few miscues prevent you from checking this one out; it’s a game worth mastering.