6.9

1. Nov 10, 2019
    This game has everything packed in that we've come to love in the game series. Easily navigated, colourful characters...yet it feels like its lacking something....I hate the split screen 2 player aspect of it. It used to be some much more fun & competitive taking it in turns, and watching what the other player was doing, instead of both competing at exactly the same time (obviously notThis game has everything packed in that we've come to love in the game series. Easily navigated, colourful characters...yet it feels like its lacking something....I hate the split screen 2 player aspect of it. It used to be some much more fun & competitive taking it in turns, and watching what the other player was doing, instead of both competing at exactly the same time (obviously not including races such as 100m, swimming etc) online play is great. Not leggy, really smooth, and a great addition. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2019
    The gameplay videos from E3 onward gave me a lot of hope for the game but now that the game is here I'm really disappointed in the final product. Playing with a standard controller, the game is standard Olympic button mashing/QTE fare and, frankly, it's the best way to play. Motion controls are hit-or-miss, and downright painful to use most of the time. The biggest issue is that theThe gameplay videos from E3 onward gave me a lot of hope for the game but now that the game is here I'm really disappointed in the final product. Playing with a standard controller, the game is standard Olympic button mashing/QTE fare and, frankly, it's the best way to play. Motion controls are hit-or-miss, and downright painful to use most of the time. The biggest issue is that the events themselves end so quickly that you'll spend most of your time in menus choosing events and characters than actually playing the game.

As a local/couch party game, it's OK but it doesn't have much staying power. You can only play one event at a time, then choose another. You can't create a chain of events, there's no tournament style mode, no marathon event mode... just one mode, played once, and then the choice to replay the same event or go back to the main menu. After 20-30 minutes, you'll put it down in favor of some other game because you will have exhausted all of the fun Mario & Sonic have to offer in Tokyo. The story mode is OK but short and essentially exists as a tutorial to the game modes. I don't recommend playing quick events solo because the AI is dreadfully stupid even on the hardest difficulty settings, offering no challenge.

If you're looking for party games, there's better alternatives than this.
  3. Nov 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jogo está maravilhoso, ter mario e sonic junto em um jogo é realmente sensacional.
    Os mini game do jogo ficou top.
    Nintendo sempre dando uma aulas com seus exclusivos
  4. Nov 5, 2019
    It’s a fun game better than the rest and it’s sad everyone is so biased, the story mode and online is a treat
  5. Nov 5, 2019
    It’s a fun game, the story mode and online is a treat.
    É um jogo divertido, o modo história e online é um deleite.
    Es un juego divertido, el modo historia y en línea es una delicia.
  6. Nov 5, 2019
    If you want games for parties with family and friends, this game is a good game. And this is the most powerful of this game
  7. Nov 6, 2019
    Tokyo 2020 has plenty of fan service, but no soul under Sonic's tiny little hedgehog butt.
  8. Nov 6, 2019
    I've played it and the controls work well, I like the games since their fun, and the graphics look good.
  9. Nov 7, 2019
    No tiene carisma y se siente muy torpe los controles. NO esta mas decir que le falta ese espiritu de su entrega anterior.
  10. Nov 5, 2019
    A lot of bad minigames divided in a way that you can't switch between them quickly making it even worse
  11. Nov 7, 2019
    Se paso de family friends, nintendo cada vez me decepciona, no piensas en las personas adultas, cada vez parece más juego de niños.
  12. Nov 7, 2019
    Yo no entiendo como es posible que estos juegos sean tan malos, graficamente parece juegos de nintendo 64, jugablemente parece para niños , todo el esquema no divierte a menos que tengan 8 años. decepción.
  13. Nov 7, 2019
    Lo eh terminado, y la verdad que eh sufrido para acabarlo, es terriblemente malo, le daria un 0 por la falta de imaginacion , que creen que poner mario es suficiente para las ventas, acaso creen que ese conformismo que tienen no les va a caer. Nintendo cada vez mas conformista y mas infantil.
  14. Nov 5, 2019
    it's a good game only that the 1964 tokyo mode the sega characters are 16 bit and the nintendo 8bits
  15. Nov 5, 2019
    It is a nice game. Some of the controls are a little bit off-putting, but I'm impressed with the story mode and all of the events including the 2D mode. I've enjoyed playing this so far, and I agree that the reviews are a bit biased, but I think this game has some potential that others don't see.
  16. Nov 8, 2019
    Buying this game was my biggest regret. I beg for everyone to not buy this game and I'll say why.
    1 - The game probably wont feature any update/patch to fix its major problems because apparently the company that made it broke.
    2 - With that said, what are the major problems of this game? Firstly when playing online you can't change anything regarding the game, making most of the minigames unplayable : For example you can only play soccer with the configuration time of 1 minute. WHO HAS FUN playing soccer for 1 minute? Same for rugby and other games...
    3 - Games that should be playing by turns, when playing local they are split screen and you don't have any option to make it a turn based game, for example : Archery and Gimnastics. But what is the problem with that? Well, the problem is that this way you're supposed to have 2 joy con pairs yo play a game with motion like archery that could easily be a turn based game.
    4 - And finnally you can't create a tournament mode where you select some minigames in order and compete with them... you cant only quick play and that's it.

I'm truly dissapointed with this game and with myself that bought this. If I knew that the company would bankrupt I'd never bought it because these points that I showed are really fixable by a simple patch but it wont be fixed and the game will be almost unplayable.

I wish I could have my refund but nintendo doens't do that. Guess next time I will wait a month before a release to see if the game is worth it and if is getting support...
  17. Nov 7, 2019
    i want to suck on luigis big yummy toes uwu

oh yeah and the game is okay too i guess.
  18. Nov 19, 2019
    I own most of the "Mario and Sonic" Olympic Games games and I must say, this one is the best one thus far, and BY far. The fact that the games will be held in Tokyo this time clearly affected the amount of work put into this game. It's polished, it's got a great amount of content... it even has a story mode that takes hours to beat. In the artistic department, it has some beautiful 3DI own most of the "Mario and Sonic" Olympic Games games and I must say, this one is the best one thus far, and BY far. The fact that the games will be held in Tokyo this time clearly affected the amount of work put into this game. It's polished, it's got a great amount of content... it even has a story mode that takes hours to beat. In the artistic department, it has some beautiful 3D representations of iconic Tokyo locations, and a nostalgic trip in the form of a 8-slash-16 bit mash-up mode inspired by the Tokyo 1964 Olympic Games. As for the mini-games, there are plenty to keep you entertained, and each has simple controls in the surface- yet it can be mastered the more you play them as more complex controls are revealed to you the more you play them. Overall it's a more engaging game than the previous entries in the saga. The roster of characters is pretty complete, with some extra characters here and there that you can unlock for specific events. It kept me entertained for more time than I had initially expected. Even the music is good- some of the retro-styled tunes are pretty catchy! Recommended for fans of both franchises, especially as a family game. Expand
  19. Nov 7, 2019
    The first Mario & Sonic since Rio 2016 is a nice, fun sports game. Some events control better than others (eg. Swimming controls much better than Discus Throw imo), with the retro-aesthetic Tokyo 1964 events being highlights.

The story mode is fine (basically, you play the events as well as some minigames), but I would've liked something deeper akin to the story mode in the DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.

I also would've liked every character being available to play as in every event. The exclusivity makes no sense to me.

On the whole though, a nice collection that party game and sports game fans will probably get something out of.
  20. Nov 8, 2019
    Fun game for people who like mini-game type games, or for people who enjoy multiplayer games with friends and family. Story mode is a blast, I only wish the story mode supported 2 players, kind of sucks it doesnt. As for controls...the motion controls are poorly implemented in some events, making it nearly impossible to even complete the event...(rock climbing). Maybe an update could makeFun game for people who like mini-game type games, or for people who enjoy multiplayer games with friends and family. Story mode is a blast, I only wish the story mode supported 2 players, kind of sucks it doesnt. As for controls...the motion controls are poorly implemented in some events, making it nearly impossible to even complete the event...(rock climbing). Maybe an update could make it better? Expand
  21. Nov 8, 2019
    un juego que ta da la experiencia olímpica y con los personajes mas emblemáticos de los video juegos.
  22. Nov 20, 2019
    Divertido y sencillo. Aunque demasiado facil, muy para niños. Deportes tiene muchos. Futbol, judo, rugby muy entretenidos y alguno mas tambien. Los juegos en 8bits muy guapos juegan con la nostalgia. Le doy un 7 por su jugabilidad sencillisima que tiene ya que para adultos se nos va a quedar pequeño el juego
  23. Nov 8, 2019
    It is a very fun game with lots of variety of tests and that in company you will enjoy it to the fullest. This is the best game of the mario and sonic saga in the olympic games and also brings a very cool modality to be able to play some games in retro mode without forgetting that it very well squeezes the controls of the joycon
  24. Nov 17, 2019
    I have already handed back this game to the retailer for someone else to deal with. There is a wealth of content, and I can tell a lot of care went into the 1964 events and story chapters, but everything else sucks! You're given a bunch of control options for each event, but most if not all of the motion control offerings are always out of sync with your movements. Sometimes they evenI have already handed back this game to the retailer for someone else to deal with. There is a wealth of content, and I can tell a lot of care went into the 1964 events and story chapters, but everything else sucks! You're given a bunch of control options for each event, but most if not all of the motion control offerings are always out of sync with your movements. Sometimes they even shoehorn in motion controls when you only want to play with buttons... that's downright despicable! And even if they don't do that, the controls are still unintuitive and poorly conceived. Having to randomly hold buttons while pressing others, and also having to switch between A and B to B and A in the same event, is just... insanity! Meanwhile the story mode has no repeating or branching paths like I would expect from a game with so many events and characters. The way the characters talk in cutscenes is so boring... it's just as boring as Mario Tennis Aces, if not more so. I swear I wanted the main characters in the modern world to punch the villains because of how slow everything was happening! They even managed to make skipping text unbearable! In the 1964 world you have to wait until the first line of text has been printed before you can even press the skip button! What's left of the Gallery is trivia, and 10 lackluster minigames that offer no replay value. Minigames should offer rewards beyond just a high score, and also increasing difficulty with each session. That's what Beijing 2008 does! Even the music and visual style of Tokyo 2020 isn't as good as the vistas and parades that were present in Rio 2016! It honestly baffles me that I'm able to list off so many negative aspects of Tokyo 2020, and I have no intention of touching this game ever again. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2019
    Another Mario and Sonic game comes with less creativity and less fun. If you own a Wii or Wii U just play the original Winter Olympic Games or London 2012
  26. Nov 12, 2019
    Pedazo de juego arcade, super divertido y perfecto para el multijugador en casa con amigos, pareja y familia. Tambien para el local entre consolas.
  27. Nov 8, 2019
    Ya notaron que la mitad de haters lo hicieron en Español y a los 5 minutos de salir el juego?
    No les hagan caso en este Mario & Sonic hay una evolución para la saga luce mas completo y con mucho mas mimo, supongo que por ser en Tokyo. Los deportes estan bien tanto en modo retro como actual, el modo trivia en lo personal me gusta y la jugabilidad estilo Sega de 10.
  28. Nov 8, 2019
    Cream not playable. Same exact roster since the first game in 2007. Certain characters only playable in specific events. When will SEGA learn? 0/10.
  29. Nov 12, 2019
    On ne va pas y aller par quatre chemins : j’ai adoré Mario et Sonic aux Jeux Olympiques de Tokyo 2020. Les épreuves sont très nombreuses, variées et diverses, et les possibilités de gameplay (classique ou motion gaming) sont plaisantes. Le jeu multi, en local ou en wifi, promet des soirées entre amis vraiment funs et sympathiques. Mention spéciale aux épreuves rétros Tokyo 1964 en mode 8On ne va pas y aller par quatre chemins : j’ai adoré Mario et Sonic aux Jeux Olympiques de Tokyo 2020. Les épreuves sont très nombreuses, variées et diverses, et les possibilités de gameplay (classique ou motion gaming) sont plaisantes. Le jeu multi, en local ou en wifi, promet des soirées entre amis vraiment funs et sympathiques. Mention spéciale aux épreuves rétros Tokyo 1964 en mode 8 et 16 bits avec les vrais sprites d’époque. Mais c’est clairement le mode histoire qui m’a étonné et donné le plus de plaisir. Au travers d’un scénario un peu fou, mais qui arrive à retomber sur ses pieds, le jeu nous offre un voyage et une visite guidée de Tokyo à travers deux époques: 1964 et 2020. On apprend beaucoup de choses sur la ville et le contexte. Cela donne au jeu, en plus des épreuves olympiques, un côté pédagogique très malin. Encore un must-have pour la Switch en cette fin d’année 2019… Expand
  30. Nov 8, 2019
    El juego es muy entretenido con los personajes de Nintendo y los de SEGA con los juegos olimpicos de Tokyo 2020 recomendable para jugar con la familia, con los amigos, hasta con el novio(a)
  31. Nov 13, 2019
    Quite possibly the worst game of 2019, and not just on the Switch. Story mode is just an unskippable wall of text that you have to click through just to get from one crappy minigame to the next. Controls, no matter what scheme you choose, are absolutely horrendous and feel completely random. Instructions given in the minigame tutorial often do not match up to the actual gameplay.

At 60

At 60 bucks, this game is a shameless ripoff. Hell, at any price, even. Avoid at all costs.
  32. Nov 8, 2019
    Un muy divertido juego de deportes, claro está que es difícil salir de ahí.
  33. Nov 9, 2019
    Una saga que espero nunca muera, claro, tiene muchas cosas que mejorar aún y cosas que podría evolucionar para bien pero no deja de ser divertido de jugar y disfrutar cada entrega
  34. Nov 10, 2019
    Fun... But that's where it stops.

My reasons: 1, No 'Party Mode'. The party mode of London was al lot of fun if done with many people, and with the Winter games at the DS and Wii there were some very fun partygames too. But this game misses all of that. 2, Not much to collect. The previous games (Mainly the Wii versions) had so much stuff to collect. Music, outfits for Mii's and
    Fun... But that's where it stops.

My reasons:

2, Not much to collect. The previous games (Mainly the Wii versions) had so much stuff to collect. Music, outfits for Mii's and other small tidbits. Here you can collect trivia and achievements... and that's it... very saddening.

3. Story Mode. As fun as the story is, after you've completed it, there's not much reason to go back after collecting all Trivia. Vancouver on the DS had a massive story mode with a surprising amount of post-story content. I hoped with the extra power you guys had at your disposal would return something as massive as that. Additionally, the areas you walk around in are beautiful, but sadly your freedom of movement to check the venues is really limited. A free moving camera would have solved this to a extent.

4, No Grand Prix kinda events. I loved those! But that they are completely absent is a letdown for the party value. That's all I have to say about it.

All in all, Fun... that's it. Story has no replay value, the events are easy to grasp but I'm missing a certain depth like Vancouver and London had, Especially on the collectables as collecting those was one of the most fun things to do in the previous titles. (Note, I've only played until London, skipped the Wii U.) I still have hope for the Winter Games, and that you guys will return to the core of the games.
  35. Nov 10, 2019
    Most events are good and the story mode is a fun distraction. Online is great too!
  36. Nov 10, 2019
    cumple su función buen juego, muy entretenido.modo historia guay pero muy lento y pesado en textos
  37. Nov 10, 2019
    Bro this game **** blows. It’s a bunch of stupid ass minute long button mashers. There’s absolutely no skill or entertainment value to this **** Who ever made this must have forgot to work on the gsme and just threw some **** together 30 minutes before the deadline. The amount of money you probably spent on it’s development would have been better used getting a **** mcchicken fromBro this game **** blows. It’s a bunch of stupid ass minute long button mashers. There’s absolutely no skill or entertainment value to this **** Who ever made this must have forgot to work on the gsme and just threw some **** together 30 minutes before the deadline. The amount of money you probably spent on it’s development would have been better used getting a **** mcchicken from McDonald’s. $50 for a a bunch of game modes that consist of mashing the same button like snd autistic kid with a twitch? Really? **** you. Expand
  38. Nov 10, 2019
    It offers a bunch of events to have a good time, but some of them like karate or 100m are very short. Sometimes the joycons are not precise enough. Is just what I was expecting.
  39. Nov 11, 2019
    tiene buena historia y buenos minijuegos pero no innoba en cuanto a personajes
  40. Nov 19, 2019
    This game is super fun and the story is super clever but if you are playing hand held most of the mini games are not fun at all, and I often put down the game on the go in favor of a different game. It’s not a problem if you’re using motion controls but considering that there has been some really good Mario and Sonic games on the DS with a lot of their mini games only using buttons, IThis game is super fun and the story is super clever but if you are playing hand held most of the mini games are not fun at all, and I often put down the game on the go in favor of a different game. It’s not a problem if you’re using motion controls but considering that there has been some really good Mario and Sonic games on the DS with a lot of their mini games only using buttons, I know they can do better. Expand

1. Nov 15, 2019
    Mini game collections are not for everyone, but Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is one of the better options within the genre. Especially the retro sports - not the least because of the nostalgia - are appreciated. The game would have made an even better impression with a slightly better finish, but at least offers enough choice in terms of activities.
  2. Nov 14, 2019
    It may not last you until the Summer Games roll around next year, but the homegrown attention-to-detail and retro mode go some way in making Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 a charming package for casual multiplayer fun this holiday.
  3. Nov 13, 2019
    The best Mario and Sonic in the Olympic Games of the saga. Plenty of games, great retro feeling and undisputed in the multiplayer side.