8.5

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Feb 11, 2019
    While true to Mega Man's original mechanics, playing this game in 2019 shows how they truly did not age well against modern expectations. For example, Mega Man cannot shoot up nor down, which is true to his original gameplay. But this game did not seem to be designed with this in mind, with enemies frequently approaching directly above or beneath you. Combine this with another legacyWhile true to Mega Man's original mechanics, playing this game in 2019 shows how they truly did not age well against modern expectations. For example, Mega Man cannot shoot up nor down, which is true to his original gameplay. But this game did not seem to be designed with this in mind, with enemies frequently approaching directly above or beneath you. Combine this with another legacy mechanic: enemies spawn points that go off screen will respawn the same enemy over and over again and you get some pretty frustrating situations that defy modern reasoning about how game worlds should work. Expand
  2. May 14, 2020
    Two single words. Hateful hard. Easiest level=hard level in final castle. Didn’t buy again if I knew this. Wasted money, time and health.
  3. Jul 10, 2020
    This game is far too easy for a Mega Man game, so most fans of the original games aren't going to like this thing if they're there for the difficulty. (Though the originals were really only difficult via cheap level gimmicks, but I digress)

Soundtrack is forgettable, which is kinda pathetic for a Mega Man game. And just on the whole, this game is either a bore to a chore to play through, and just like Mega Man 1 through 4, I don't really like it.

Go play Mighty No. 9 instead.
  4. Jan 15, 2022
    I love megaman and grew up with it, but not even I am desperate enough to get into this.
    this exists solely as a half-assed response to mighty no. 9, and both are pretty close in crappiness.
    don't let the visuals fool you, this is another "8-bits" megaman, but in 3d. like 9 and 10, it uses high difficulty to make you think it's better than it really is. not only that but the level

don't let the visuals fool you, this is another "8-bits" megaman, but in 3d.
    like 9 and 10, it uses high difficulty to make you think it's better than it really is. not only that but the level design is bad and betrays basic level design philosphy from the megaman series.

it's hard to put this into words, but since that boom of nes nostalgia in the late 2000s capcom stopped letting megaman evolve, they trashed all the evolution the series and the character had and now he is this untoucheable 8-bits icon who has to stay perpetually in bland 8-bits because brand.
    there was this cult that games were good because they were hard and somehow capcom caught up on it and assimilated it never to let go.
    Even their store in japan has a statue of 8bits megaman and that's really sad because the character is so much more than that.
    well... it used to be.
    people don't love megaman because they want a dark souls experience, it's the characters, the settings, the plot they want ( paired with a fun gameplay of course ).

the megaman fanbase will eat any garbage capcom puts out in hopes that this will encourage capcom to work on the series, to make new games, to let out megaman legends 3 or a mml collection.
    mediocre collections with countless issues and cut content? straight up crappy new entries? nothing but nice things to say about it.
    people living in denial, buying multiple copies of garbage and praising it as high art because they're so terrified of capcom abandoning megaman forever.
    megaman isn't going to get any better if you sheepishly keep following those sellout community leaders and giving money to trash.
    if megaman has to die, just let it, so it can be reborn as something as beautiful as megaman powered up or maverick hunter x someday.

I don't mean to be self-entitled or bitter about it, but man, I'm tired.
    the future looked so bright with megaman 8, it's gorgeous graphics and animation and it's story which wasn't great but was setting up amazing things for the future, megaman power fighters hyping the future even futher by showing dr wily developing zero. and then... nothing. 10 years later, 8 bits garbage.

even with all that, to me the most baffling thing about this game is....
    why is it a secret that eighting developed it and capcom just published it?
    anyone that played any eighting game ever can tell it.

PS:
    the bosses in this game are a joke, there's yet another astro man clone because capcom is too afraid to design a character that doesn't look like it was traced from a previous game. please, come up with new designs, make a boss with eyes like kirby or something, but stop selling astro man as a new boss.
  5. Feb 26, 2022
    This is my first review ever on Metacritic. I use metacritic a lot before buying games. I am a 47 year young gamer who started gaming at the age of 4 on a Philips Videopac G7000. :-)

I really like to play platformer games. My first handheld game was Donkey Kong II (game&watch multi screen). I bought Mega Man 11 because of the score here. And then after playing the game for the first time, I was like, ok, let's check the bad scores too for a change (and lets do that in the future). It is a funny game, allthough the graphics&music aren't really special. What makes the game really bad? The mechanics. It's not that I can't solve the puzzles, but the game just doesn't do what I want. The jumping is so lame, that when it matter it doesn't jump at all. And I don't see this as an extra difficulty thing, I just see it as a crap game. After playing it 2 times, I almost crashed my Switch, because it just made me mad. And I definitely like difficult platform games like Katana Zero, or Cuphead or Celeste etc. but they all run smooth and have a smooth gameplay. Big time failure for this game. Please keep your money and spend it on better developed games.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 14, 2018
    Some might bemoan the art direction, but I walked away from Mega Man 11 very, very impressed. It’s a particularly stunning achievement given the amount of time that has passed since the last game and Inafune’s lack of involvement. This is one of the marquee releases on Nintendo Switch and I sincerely hope that all of you reading this give it some serious consideration for a purchase. Capcom has created the perfect foundation upon which to keep building Blue Bomber sequels and I hope that the next one comes a lot sooner than eight years from now!
  2. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Oct 29, 2018
    While Mega Man 11 isn't a perfect game, it's certainly a fun one, and it establishes a solid foundation for the Blue Bomber going forward. [Issue #36 – November/December 2018, p. 80]
  3. Oct 16, 2018
    Mega Man 11 doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but for this fan of the franchise, that’s not the worst thing. While it could have used more innovation and better boss battles, the core gameplay remains as enjoyable as ever. For long-suffering fans of the series, it’s nice just to have something new to jump into.