8.5

Buy Now
Buy on

1. mux
    Oct 26, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd consider myself a Classic-Mega-Man hardcore fan, so I was really excited when MM 11 was announced. Did it live up to my expectations? Well, partly. First of all, it's not a bad game and it kept me busy for two days - but there are some flaws. Let's start with the good things first. The gameplay and the controls are tight and the concept stays true to the formula, the game has managed to catch up with the classical spirit quite well, even with the new double-gear abilities (although I often forgot about them and wondered why it's so hard in some situations). All characters and enemies are very well designed, I looks like there has been a lot of work put into them. The eight robot-stages offer good design and variety, too. Boss fights are nice and the acquired special weapons seem more useful than in some former titles. The graphics-style is not my favorite, but at least, it's acceptable.
    So much for the good things, now the bad ones:

I think this game has awful music. Bounce Man Stage being the worst of all. Well, for some it might work. but I for myself just can't deal with this kind of happy-trance. Furthermore, being a huge chiptune fan, the new style is a real letdown.

And then the Wily fortress. It all looks the same, all sections feel unpolished and extremely uninspiring. Saving and buying E-Tanks between each section? Absolute no-go! Breaking with the tradition and already marking the final boss on the map, without making Wily escape once... well, please don't do that, it makes me sad.

As a fan, I would have given it a solid 8 - if it only had a better Wily-fortress. But this ruined the experience for me and made a quite solid game worse than it would have had to be.

For non-fans of the series, I am not sure if to recommend it - since the quite limited "freedom of movement" and the horizontal-only shooting may appear claustrophobic to newer generations.
  2. Mar 1, 2020
    Mega Man 11 is a great example of the old Mega Man games. It has eight robot bosses, followed up by Dr. Wily’s castle with two more bosses, a boss rush, and then a two form final boss in the form of Dr. Wily himself.

And yet, at the same time, it somehow felt lacking. But why? This is a fairly standard 2D game, with heavy platforming elements. You control the titular Mega Man, and go

And yet, at the same time, it somehow felt lacking. But why?

This is a fairly standard 2D game, with heavy platforming elements. You control the titular Mega Man, and go through the stages with your Mega Buster, the trusty weapon he’s had since Mega Man 5 that can fire charged shots. This game adds in the Double Gear system, which allows you to either slow down time or to make Mega Man’s shots more powerful – with the Mega Buster, he fires two shots in a row (which is only really useful with the charged shot, as with the ordinary buster it’s actually worse due to having a lower number of shots), but with the advanced weapons, it empowers them in various ways.

This is all well and good, and it is nice to see a bit of mechanical evolution on top of the usual jumping, sliding, and using Rush to either bounce to higher spots or using the Rush Jet to zoom over some obstacles (though it has very limited power in this game, making it harder to exploit).

The levels are longer than traditional Mega Man levels, but not overly so; they’re a bit harder than the old games’ levels (well, most of the old games’ levels), but on the other hand, you have more resources here to beat them with. The first stage I played – Block Man’s stage – was pretty rough, but once I got the hang of the game, the stages went increasingly smoothly.

This is in part because the game has an in-game shop, where you can use bolts (dropped by enemies) to buy various passive power-ups as well as things like E-tanks (that restore all your life), W-tanks (which restore your special weapon energy), and things which save you once from a bottomless pit or spikes. Sadly, as you get through the game, you get an ever-larger number of bolts, and by the end of it, I had maximized my amount of all of these items, which made the game rather trivial, as you could carry far too many of them (a far cry from Mega Man X, where you could only carry four such tanks, which worked a lot better in my opinion as the game was designed around you having exactly that many).

The stages were fine – nothing particularly remarkable or clever, but decent and varied enough. Some of them encouraged you rather strongly to use some of the special weapons, often the one that the boss was weak to, and the special weapons had a reasonable amount of variety and power – though sadly, the Tundra Tornado wiping the entire screen of enemies and dealing heavy damage to subbosses made it a bit overpowered compared to the rest, with the Acid Armor ability to shield you from projectiles feeling handy but more difficult to use.

Maybe the lack of any sort of sense of exploration hurt it a little – this game doesn’t have the little side secrets of games like Mega Man X, and being a Mega Man game, it also lacks things like wall jumping. You don’t ever use your powers to really access new areas or destroy barriers you couldn’t get through… but honestly, was this ever the main attraction of these games? I don’t think so.

And yet, at the end of the game, I was left feeling kind of let down. I’ve played Mega Man games before, and while this was a fresh coat of paint, with decent graphics and a bit of a mechanical update, the game just feels kind of… rote at this point. It is only about four and a half hours long, and while there’s nothing wrong with it – I had fun playing it – I also just didn’t feel like it was anything to write home about. It was yet another Mega Man game, and maybe that’s okay, but somehow, I was left craving more than what this game delivered.
  3. Jul 7, 2019
    Mega Man 11 is a very unforgiving game. There are many 1 hit kill sections and other annoying stuff. The game is creative and the graphics are ok. At the price around 30$ US. I would say it’s reasonably priced.
  4. Oct 8, 2018
    Mega Man 11 is good but not great. It has kept most of the iconic stuff from Mega Man like the movement and introduces some new concepts like upgrades.

However, the design philosophy is completely changed now. The stages are designed in a way that seems to intentionally gate you from ever reaching the boss. Coupled with the fact that the game requires a lot of trial and error to get correct, there will be a lot of frustration.

It seems like the developers are trying to drag the game out into a 60 hour game instead of a 10 hour one by preventing you from getting to the fun parts, fighting the mid stage boss and stage boss. In the old Mega Man, it's almost a given that you will be able to reach the stage boss after a few tries, and once you have gone through the stage, you will always get there. But in Mega Man 11, there are a lot of cheap level designs that intentionally stops you from getting there, even if you know what to do.

It seems like Capcom has forgotten what made Mega Man fun, fighting the bosses, figuring out their patterns and getting a perfect win, either with just the Mega Buster or the bosses weakness through the iconic scissor-paper-stone concept of stage bosses.

The Gear system is essential for the game, but the button placement would have been better on the ZL/ZR rather than L/R buttons, IMO
  5. Feb 20, 2019
    The only reason this didn't receive a higher score is because of the insanely irritating and repetitive sounds that Mega Man continually makes. I don't why this trope exists but we do not need to hear the character say the exact same thing every time he fires a charged shoot - which you will be doing a LOT in this game.

Otherwise it's a great entry in the series, other punishers should

Otherwise it's a great entry in the series, other punishers should take notes on how the stay true to the old platformers while leveraging the new hardware.
  6. Aug 1, 2021
    Mega Man 11 is what you would expect from another mainline Mega Man game. The game is nothing realy special but added some features that just felt like they were there just to be there, nothing special. As a game its good, as a Mega Man game, its nothing realy special. I enjoy it but its nothing super great.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 14, 2018
    Some might bemoan the art direction, but I walked away from Mega Man 11 very, very impressed. It’s a particularly stunning achievement given the amount of time that has passed since the last game and Inafune’s lack of involvement. This is one of the marquee releases on Nintendo Switch and I sincerely hope that all of you reading this give it some serious consideration for a purchase. Capcom has created the perfect foundation upon which to keep building Blue Bomber sequels and I hope that the next one comes a lot sooner than eight years from now!
  2. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Oct 29, 2018
    While Mega Man 11 isn't a perfect game, it's certainly a fun one, and it establishes a solid foundation for the Blue Bomber going forward. [Issue #36 – November/December 2018, p. 80]
  3. Oct 16, 2018
    Mega Man 11 doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but for this fan of the franchise, that’s not the worst thing. While it could have used more innovation and better boss battles, the core gameplay remains as enjoyable as ever. For long-suffering fans of the series, it’s nice just to have something new to jump into.