7.8

1. Sep 12, 2017
    Originally released on mobile platforms, Oceanhorn is a title that has been on my radar for a while now. That's because it's impossible to not get the feeling that this is a game majorly inspired by The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, which is one of my favorite games on one of my favorite franchises. After spending twenty hours to 100% the game, I came out impressed, even if, as expected,Originally released on mobile platforms, Oceanhorn is a title that has been on my radar for a while now. That's because it's impossible to not get the feeling that this is a game majorly inspired by The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, which is one of my favorite games on one of my favorite franchises. After spending twenty hours to 100% the game, I came out impressed, even if, as expected, originality isn't really something that's all that present here.

Truth be told, Oceanhorn is less Wind Waker and more Phantom Hourglass, the direct sequel to the former game that was released on the Nintendo DS. Like the latter, it's played from an angled top-down perspective, and the navigation through the open seas isn't directly controlled, but pre-determined, with a few shooting targets here and there to keep you busy while it happens. Luckily, the controls don't really mirror Phantom Hourglass (or even Oceanhorn's own original mobile version), meaning the game has complete support for physical button inputs.

The story is simple, but it does have some nice moments. Your character wakes up to find a note from his father, explaining he's gone away to fight Oceanhorn, a mythical monster who terrorizes the seas. From there, it's up to you to go after him, exploring the ocean and a good number of island scattered through it.

Like expected, the game play as a top-down Zelda, meaning you'll come across quests, different races, and, of course, dungeons. Also like Zelda, each dungeon provides you with a new weapon, allowing you to reach previously unreachable areas. The overall game design is fair and the gameplay itself is very fun, but it has to be said that the puzzles are more simplistic and far less imaginative that the ones in Nintendo's franchise.

The one exception for this is the Island of Whispers, which is a late-game discovery that was by far my favorite part of Oceanhorn. The island was originally a post-launch downloadable content, and it shows, as the quality of game design goes dramatically up. Not only that, the island offers a parallel, self-contained story about a mysterious kid whose ambition led to the end of the local civilization. Figuring out what exactly happened, piece by piece, was an extremely engrossing experience, and the closest the game got to Zelda levels of excellence.

As far as production values go, I have to say the game far exceeded my expectations. The stylized graphics are crisp, colorful, and very pretty. Even more impressive is the soundtrack, which is nothing short of phenomenal, and is complemented in the audio department by excellent voice acting.

TL;DR:
    There's no two ways about it: Oceanhorn is a Zelda clone, lacking originality to stand as its own thing. Luckily, it features a nice campaign and a surprisingly interesting story, even if the overall game design is a bit more basic that I would have hoped. Each of the game's explorable islands are self-contained isometric playgrounds that are a lot of fun to pick apart, and it all looks great (and sounds even better). For someone looking for a Zelda-lite experience, you really can't go wrong here.

Rating: 7.5/10
  2. Nov 7, 2017
    Nice topdown Zelda clone for the Switch. It doesn't do anything new to add to the gameplay, but what it does, it does well.
    Story and voice acting is a bit bland, but the music and art style is gorgeous either on portable or docked mode.
    Puzzles are a bit on the easy side and can be completed in under 10 hours, although going for 100% will take a bit more.
  3. Dec 28, 2017
    The game is decent but not worth it's price on the switch. Overall meh game, lacks the " spark " to keep you there.
  4. Oct 28, 2020
    Un buen juego de aventura, acción y puzles, mezcla que recibe de la serie The Legend of Zelda y cuya inspiración sus desarrolladores no intentan negar. Comparado con un juego de la serie Zelda es bastante más fácil y su jugabilidad más simple y tosca en general. Buen apartado sonoro, sobre todo en las melodías que también recuerdan a algunas de Zelda, y unos gráficos que entran bien porUn buen juego de aventura, acción y puzles, mezcla que recibe de la serie The Legend of Zelda y cuya inspiración sus desarrolladores no intentan negar. Comparado con un juego de la serie Zelda es bastante más fácil y su jugabilidad más simple y tosca en general. Buen apartado sonoro, sobre todo en las melodías que también recuerdan a algunas de Zelda, y unos gráficos que entran bien por los ojos, agradables, pero que no sorprenden a nadie.
    Me ha gustado mucho, aunque la historia es un poco floja, pero no es lo que busco en juego, si no que sea divertido, y eso es un rato.
    Lo compré rebajado a 7 euros y por ese precio es una maravilla para las, más o menos, 12 horas de diversión que ofrece. Para mí un gran 8,6.
    Lo recomiendo si te gusta la serie Zelda y buscas un juego más fácil y ligero.
  5. Jul 26, 2020
    I don't know why there's so much hate for this little game. It's a fun little adventure game, stealing a lot from Zelda ideas, but of course no where near as excellent as Zelda. It's fairly easy, which means that it's more accessible for younger folks, and the bosses are unbelievably dorky. The twisty mazes of the worlds are well designed, and the puzzles are relatively easy. But it's aI don't know why there's so much hate for this little game. It's a fun little adventure game, stealing a lot from Zelda ideas, but of course no where near as excellent as Zelda. It's fairly easy, which means that it's more accessible for younger folks, and the bosses are unbelievably dorky. The twisty mazes of the worlds are well designed, and the puzzles are relatively easy. But it's a fun dorky little game, so it's all about expectations.

FWIW: I got stuck in a wall a few times, though going back to the title screen will pop you out.

I got really stuck on how to make progress a few times, along the lines of things that you can't usually do, except when you can. I sometimes have a hard time finding bombing sites, which often don't have a visual clue, the way they do in Zelda. And I wish there was a radar that would help you out to find chests or heart pieces. Shooting arrows sucks... the mechanics of that are just off. But whatever.

Good little game.
  6. Aug 21, 2017
    I loved to play this Zelda's Clone on my portable Switch. I already play it on my Xbox One, PC and Smartphone, but it is epic on NSwitch because can bring me "playing a classic Zelda game on a legit Nintendo console". Bring me to the past and the game isn't bad. Stop hate it.
  7. Aug 19, 2017
    The mobile version was fine. in fact, it was pretty good for $7. But it existed primarily as a Zelda substitute. Why, then, is it $20 on the Switch, a console that has such a high attachment rate with BOTW?
    If you have BOTW, do NOT buy this game. if you don't have BOTW, why do you own a Switch?
  8. Dec 6, 2017
    A nice little adventure game, with a great sense of scope and lore, for a convenient price. :)

I don't think it's fair to call this game a Zelda clone. Unless you want to do the same for everything ranging from Secret of Evermore, to Chrono Trigger, to Shining Force, to Lost Sphear, to Okami... it's a vague criticism, you see. While not the most polished game, the art style works for

While not the most polished game, the art style works for the story, the environment is crisp and clean, and any bugs that pop up and minor and nowhere near game-breaking. I think my only criticism is that I wish it would be a bit cheaper. But it's easy to lose several hours in this one. Worth it!
  9. Aug 17, 2017
    I don’t know if people here actually played the game, but it is not very good on the Switch. I really tried to like it, but it did not have enough contents or nice gameplay to keep me going. I had to stop after 2 hours. The graphics are not bad, but it feels pretty basic. I understand it could be fun for a basic game on a cellphone, but not for a gaming console. It does not compete withI don’t know if people here actually played the game, but it is not very good on the Switch. I really tried to like it, but it did not have enough contents or nice gameplay to keep me going. I had to stop after 2 hours. The graphics are not bad, but it feels pretty basic. I understand it could be fun for a basic game on a cellphone, but not for a gaming console. It does not compete with the other games. Do not waste your money on this. You should try Kamiko if you are looking for a Zelda clone, but a good one. Expand
  10. Feb 26, 2018
    In conclusion, I think Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is a good Zelda spiritual successor that lacks its own personality and identity. Unfortunately, playing the game through a second time and looking at it critically has lowered my feelings about the game. However, for some people this might be ok. Maybe you played Breath of the Wild and really want a Zelda fix? Then Oceanhorn isIn conclusion, I think Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas is a good Zelda spiritual successor that lacks its own personality and identity. Unfortunately, playing the game through a second time and looking at it critically has lowered my feelings about the game. However, for some people this might be ok. Maybe you played Breath of the Wild and really want a Zelda fix? Then Oceanhorn is perfect for that, but I would personally like to see a less generic story and combat mechanic in Oceanhorn 2. Nevertheless, I think in other respects Oceanhorn punches above its weight, especially in its art and music. This shows that even though a game may be smaller in scope, that important things should not be skipped, proving Oceanhorn’s and Cornfox & Bros’s quality. I would suggest Oceanhorn to players who liked Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King, as that too is inspired by Zelda (but does a better job of having its own character and identity).

For more indie game reviews on the Nintendo Switch, google Switch Indie Fix.
  11. Jan 11, 2019
    This game feels mediocre at best, a "meh" zelda game. I think it is hard to like a game like this, and the best I can say as a warning, expect the worst? Although it's still playable with adventure, dungeons, puzzles and bosses. However for some reason the game makes me motion sick, so I am forced to play with a headache and a upset stomach every time I pick it up, not sure if this happensThis game feels mediocre at best, a "meh" zelda game. I think it is hard to like a game like this, and the best I can say as a warning, expect the worst? Although it's still playable with adventure, dungeons, puzzles and bosses. However for some reason the game makes me motion sick, so I am forced to play with a headache and a upset stomach every time I pick it up, not sure if this happens to other people. Expand
  12. Dec 20, 2020
    If someone offers to pay you to play this game, run as it's still too large of a price tag. When a games PR top bills the music producer, you're probably going to be playing a bad game.

Oceanhorn is a Zelda clone in the same way a conjoined twin is a clone: All the DNA is there, but all anyone else can see is an unsightly mess. There's lots of good but absolutely plagiaristic things here; the game not only does nothing original, but it so heavily copies its source that I'm shocked Nintendo's lawyers weren't all over this like an emaciated bull is all over people at a Spanish festival.

You travel the world in a sail boat that, minus the personality giving talking head, could be a twin of the one in Windwaker. The entire world is nothing but islands and a lot of ocean.

You collect quarter pieced heart containers. You use a bow, bombs, and a special set of boots. You get a shield upgrade that reflects beams (sadly way more on that later, the spoiler part). Your sword (eventually) fires beams of energy when at full health.

So why is Oceanhorn so bad for me if it so closely rips off an extremely fun game? Implementation and abysmal controls/design. Whoever programmed this must be a team of savants who are good at art and exactly nothing else (the game *is* beautiful). Your character runs and moves as if his feet are encased in hardening cement at all times. It says something when someone can swing a large, heavy sword three times faster than he can move his legs encumbered only by the cheap cloth he begins the game in. You'd be forgiven for thinking your game is suffering a glitch and is moving in slow-mo based on how he runs, if it weren't for the enemies moving at normal speeds suggesting otherwise.

The largest proof of design flaw is in the beam reflection of your mirror shield. They call it something else, but it's a mirror shield.
    Spoilers here. You use your beam reflection on the final boss. Sometimes the beam would go directly through me, despite having my shield up. The beam would reflect then cut out, almost as if I wasn't reflecting anything else but my hopes to be playing a better game. For the record, you have to reflect the beam at both legs of the boss, then run over to said legs in the *very* short time the enemy is down and destroy power cells on its body. Combine the short time thing with the slow run, crappy reflect mechanics, and you have lazy difficulty: where programmers reclassify their own shortcomings as difficulty. There were a few bosses and set pieces like this. I never felt a sense of accomplishment when I finally passed these things; I felt exactly the way a sane human being should feel after tirelessly fixing someone else's problem that they willingly made.

In short, skip this even during one of its many sales. There are SO many good Zelda clones out there; it would be a travesty to throw your money at this aborted dumpster fire instead those titles.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 16 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 14, 2017
    Oceanhorn is an admirable attempt at taking a stab at the Zelda formula. There are plenty of islands to explore, puzzles to solve, and baddies to bonk. The controls are serviceable outside of a couple small hitches with running and a somewhat clunky interface. While imperfect, the presentation makes the world look like a stunning diorama and the music serves to enhance the experience even further. I genuinely had fun with Oceanhorn, and I hope that the upcoming sequel irons out of some of the original’s kinks. For those wanting a more traditional Zelda experience, I recommend giving this one a shot.
  2. Jul 19, 2017
    Oceanhorn is a game that works well on Switch, mainly because of its similarities to Zelda, but it's really gameplay limited and lasts only 10 hours.
  3. Jul 17, 2017
    The Switch is the best fit for Oceanhorn too. While it has issues, I just know the groundwork has been laid for a killer sequel and I can’t wait to see what Oceanhorn’s world will look like when we return in the years to come.