- Summary: Players assume the role of a Watcher named Kagachi, doing battle by “manifesting” the souls of Daemons, which act as the classes found in traditional roleplaying games. Each Daemon has its own unique weapons and skills, and players can shift between them in real time to gain the upper handPlayers assume the role of a Watcher named Kagachi, doing battle by “manifesting” the souls of Daemons, which act as the classes found in traditional roleplaying games. Each Daemon has its own unique weapons and skills, and players can shift between them in real time to gain the upper hand in battle. Moving between the Living World and the realm of the dead known as the Beyond, Kagachi must save the souls of the Lost, as the story of life and reincarnation in this wondrous kingdom unfolds. … Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Oninaki Release Date Trailer | Square Enix Press Conference E3 2019
Aug 21, 2019On the surface, Oninaki might seem like a rough-around-the-edges action RPG lacking depth to its combat alongside an anime-inspired melodramatic story. However, for those who are patient enough to explore its world, characters, and ability-based battle system, there’s a lot to like an dive into after all. If you have even the slightest curiosity in this title, Oninaki‘s refreshing take on JRPGs is most definitely worth your time.
Sep 13, 2019Once you fall into the groove, Oninaki is greatly enjoyable, even if it initially falls flat because of its repetitive combat. The story heads to dark places surrounding the central theming, occasionally in a ham-fisted way, but still manages to have emotional impact. Ultimately though, Oninaki is a gem of a game if you’re persistent in putting in the work. Tokyo RPG Factory have done it again
Aug 22, 2019Oninaki is a welcomed trip down memory lane to the glory days of Chrono Trigger, fully capturing the nostalgia of the time. However, like Tokyo RPG Factory's previous creations, while there's a lot to enjoy here, the flaws cannot be ignored. There is a fascinating premise, and a robust story, but it takes far too long to really get going, and the side-quests are wasted. Also, the scope feels too small. When it comes to the combat, the wide range of Daemons keeps things fresh, changing up the experience enough to keep interest higher but, at its core, the combat is just... fine. There's nothing special - same with the RPG elements that add little extra depth to the whole thing.
Aug 29, 2019Oninaki’s sin, then, is to be so achingly close to quality and yet so far; to have almost everything needed for a top-tier role-playing game – an interesting premise, hauntingly evocative aesthetics, a deep and complex approach to combat – only to be betrayed by fundamental issues that keep it tied to this earthly realm.
Nov 4, 2019Im fan of tokyo factory games and i really enjoyed Lost sphear and I Am Setsuna but Oninaki is best so far easy 10/10.Gameplay is amazing.Im fan of tokyo factory games and i really enjoyed Lost sphear and I Am Setsuna but Oninaki is best so far easy 10/10.Gameplay is amazing. Main character is so different and interesting and the story is super good. You got so many Daemons to play with that the game doesnt feel repetitive at all.… Expand
Feb 18, 2020At first glance, the game's atmosphere and art style approach brought to my mind games like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler. As charmingAt first glance, the game's atmosphere and art style approach brought to my mind games like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler. As charming as it looks, Oninaki's is really dark and heavy.
The story is just descent and a bit complicated, but with some very interesting and notable moments (won't say more, I don't want to spoil anything to you). Especially the background stories/memories of your Daemons are compelling and in combination with chilling ambient background music, they create a mesmerizing atmosphere.
The gameplay is solid for sure (and for me, really addictive) but some could say it is repetitive; getting a mission, travel to its location, kill its monsters and its final boss. It is not very fast but at the same time not very slow for an action game. The customization of your Daemons (weapons, skills) is well made and you can use the "points" you have for each Daemon not only for unlocking new skills, but also for unlocking its memories. Personally, I never felt that grinding was boring. I found myself playing for many hours, trying to proceed with the main story, clear each and every monster on both worlds of that location and even revisited some locations not only for side missions (lost souls), but also because I really wanted to power up some Daemons to use them as mains and learn their whole background stories.
On the other hand, the game is not perfect. I noticed a few framerate drops in the main city and some bugs with regard to the characer models and their appearance (auras etc.). Loading times are a bit long and the overall graphics for the handheld mode could be less "blurry" and more "sharp". HD rumble is not present despite the fact that the game could really benefit from that feature. However, all these downsides, which could be improved by a future update, do not take away anything from the overall experience; the game is totally playable.
All in all, Oninaki has a lot of potential. It combines interesting ideas and aristic approach , but its mediocre story and small flaws keep it from being perfect and my final thoughts were that it is good, but it could offer more. Apart from that, I had a great time playing it and got attached to its gameplay and art style. It is a chilling and solid Action JRPG and i recommend it for fans of the genre.… Expand
Jul 26, 2020From a gameplay perspective alone this game does a lot of things right and boasts some unique systems that other developers in the spaceFrom a gameplay perspective alone this game does a lot of things right and boasts some unique systems that other developers in the space should be looking at for inspiration, I could easily recommend it to any long-time fan of the ARPG genre. The story is solid, the art direction is nice, the soundtrack is acceptable.
Sadly, there is a lack of challenge. Even on the highest difficulty level a lot of enemies stand about lazily and you'd basically have to be trying to get killed. It would have been nice to see the developer offer additional support post-release, NG+ mode would have been a nice addition too, though the post-game dungeon is a solid alternative.… Expand
Jun 2, 2020Oninaki es un juego que entra por los ojos por su estilo artístico peculiar, su historia, personajes, gameplay... pero que va cayendo en laOninaki es un juego que entra por los ojos por su estilo artístico peculiar, su historia, personajes, gameplay... pero que va cayendo en la monotonía a medida que el juego avanza. Con un solo pueblo sin mucho desarrollo, y una continua exploración de mazmorras medio descafeinadas, el juego acaba cayendo en la monotonía. Mantiene el interés hasta el final por la historia, y los misterios ligadas a ella, y los diferentes finales merecen la pena. Para aquellos que no les gusta la misma historia, este juego se aleja de ella, centrándose en la profundidad de la inevitabilidad de la muerte.
Si no te interesa la historia, no recomendaría este juego, pero en caso contrario sus "puntos negativos" son muy pasables y la experiencia merece la pena.… Expand
Aug 25, 2019Pros:
* The story feels unique compared to traditional RPGs and I've personnaly never played anything similar, and I've played loooots ofPros:
* The story feels unique compared to traditional RPGs and I've personnaly never played anything similar, and I've played loooots of RPGs.
* Even though the graphics aren't very good, I still like the art style which is similar, but not as good as, Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
* Lots of loading screens (even before and after every cutscene). Also they are really lengthy. Sometimes you wait for a 1 min loading screen to see a 20 sec cutscene followed by another 1 min loading screen.
* The performance (docked) is quite bad at times.
* Enemy variate is severly lacking, even 15h into the games you will fight the same enemies you did in the first hours but with a different color. Also the design is bad (I mean, penguins, plants, really?). Almost all enemies are the same and you can just mindlessly hack and slash most of them like in Diablo.
* There are lots of Daemons but really you can complete the entire game with just the one you start with plus the ranged one for bosses. The only reason to switch Daemon is for variety to prevent the combat from getting too boring.
Only play this game if you're interested in the story, because the combat is not very good. Also the game is definitely not worth the price. It's not a AAA game but still they ask for a AAA game. I would recommend waiting until it's on sale $20-30.… Expand
Sep 26, 2019Tokyo RPG factory trade marks are here: enemies designed as penguins and lots of long loading screen with sleepy piano music. If you’ve playedTokyo RPG factory trade marks are here: enemies designed as penguins and lots of long loading screen with sleepy piano music. If you’ve played their previous games you know what I mean. Not a bad game anyway definitely not worth the money they’re asking for it.… Expand