7.1

1. Aug 8, 2018
    It's free to play, so I don't regret checking it out, and I might even recommend you checking it out too, if you're into this sort of thing, but after a few hours, I don't think I'm ever going to open it back up again.

It's not particularly bad. The servers can be frustrating since it's still in its first week on the Switch, so sometimes I found myself waiting for up to five full minutes before I was successfully placed in a match (I got kicked out of matches quite frequently, and it definitely wasn't due to the wifi on my end, I guarantee it was the servers), but I'm sure that will all be worked out in no time. I simply found this game repetitive and boring, no matter what mode or map I was playing in. I tried several of the different heroes that are available without having to pay any real world money (and you do get access to quite a few for free), but I still felt the same way.

I like the visual design of the game, and the visual design of all the different heroes, I just really didn't like the gameplay itself, though I don't have much of a satisfying explanation for why I didn't like it. It's perfectly functional, and adequate, but I couldn't take more than a few matches at a time without getting painfully bored.
  2. Dec 18, 2019
    A fun and free first person shooter on Nintendo Switch. It kinda looks and plays like Overwatch. I would recommend checking it out.
  3. Apr 4, 2020
    There is a lot of good to say About Paladins: it's free, it has gyro aim, it runs at 60fps and it is a decent take on the Overwatch/TF2 type gameplay.
    Unfortunately there is some bad either: The game is highly instable and crashes regularly, which is even more annoying when taking into account the long load times so it takes forever to get back into the game.
    Playing this game on ranked
    Playing this game on ranked mode was not quite satisfactory either. I guess the player base isn't large enough: you get highly unbalanced matches despite having to wait in que for a long time.
    Then there are some quality of life issues like for example not being able to type in chat during matches.
    I would still recommend this game for everyone that is interested in this genre but that is mostly due to the lack of alternatives. Splatoon 2 is the only better alternative I know. Overwatch is also on Switch but the port isn't that good either and only runs at 30fps.
  4. Oct 14, 2020
    Paladins is a derivative, but fun, free-to-play hero shooter. It's not nearly as slickly produced as its clear inspiration, Overwatch. However, it's a competent game in its own right, and many players would choose it over its model.

PROS: * Good fun, with a nice mix of characters for every play style. * Runs silky smooth on the Switch. * Not nearly as predatory as the average FTP.

PROS:

* Good fun, with a nice mix of characters for every play style.
    * Runs silky smooth on the Switch.
    * Not nearly as predatory as the average FTP. You can play it for free indefinitely. The one-buy Champions Pack gives you basically everything you might want, except for cosmetic items.

CONS:

* It's hard to look over the fact that it's an Overwatch knock-off without all the polish.
    * Low production values, especially in the cheap character design and laggy menus.
    * Still plays some dirty tricks to get your money, such as leaving you with spare "crystals" (the in-store currency), encouraging you to buy more.
  5. Jan 28, 2020
    Fast and action filled gameplay are the game's main strengths. Matches can provide a fun time for a few minutes. However I find myself not being interested in playing this game after a while, as there's not much about it that's engaging. Everything feels painfully average. Occasional long waits during matchmaking and the lack of characters that can be played well by everyone bog down theFast and action filled gameplay are the game's main strengths. Matches can provide a fun time for a few minutes. However I find myself not being interested in playing this game after a while, as there's not much about it that's engaging. Everything feels painfully average. Occasional long waits during matchmaking and the lack of characters that can be played well by everyone bog down the experience as well. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2020
    Hi-Rez manages to ruin a game that could both beat Overwatch, as well as at least draw with it. The microtransactions, sexualized female characters and the lack of a good community within the game hinder Hi-Rez's real intention to win money over that game; Sexualized skin, abusive prices in different areas of the game (skins, battle passes) end up having more presence than bug fixes andHi-Rez manages to ruin a game that could both beat Overwatch, as well as at least draw with it. The microtransactions, sexualized female characters and the lack of a good community within the game hinder Hi-Rez's real intention to win money over that game; Sexualized skin, abusive prices in different areas of the game (skins, battle passes) end up having more presence than bug fixes and glitches, making the game like this, gradually spoiling instead of evolving. Expand
  7. Nov 4, 2021
    It's a good game but every time I play on my Nintendo switch it's keep giving me a software error I keep trying to fix it but it keeps saying software so does anyone know how to make that stop it's someone fear for me and I can only play like two matches that's not fair

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 6, 2018
    Paladins is a fun shooter, and encourages long-term play with its unlockables and level-up progressions. It loses to Fortnite in the addictiveness stakes, though, and isn't helped by a less-than-seamless matchmaking system.
  2. Aug 6, 2018
    Paladins fills a fairly significant gap in the Switch’s library. Some minor issues aside, it's generally a great experience.
  3. Aug 3, 2018
    Paladins: Champions of the Realm is a fun and exciting shooter, and we forgive its small hiccups and the reduced variety for the simple fact that it is available for free. Being a hero shooter, it is possible that not everyone might enjoy it. But FPS fans who own a Nintendo Switch do not have many alternatives, and our advice is to download it and try it, even if your not convinced. Who knows, you might love it in the end.