8.1

1. Aug 22, 2020
    So far I'm having a great time playing this with a few hours clocked in so here's my impressions so far. This definitely isn't an easy game as the very first boss took me over 10 tries to beat. The opening areas of the game had me in a bit of a jam with not having enough money to get quest items and essential equipment so a slow grind ended up happening. But soon after that the game reallySo far I'm having a great time playing this with a few hours clocked in so here's my impressions so far. This definitely isn't an easy game as the very first boss took me over 10 tries to beat. The opening areas of the game had me in a bit of a jam with not having enough money to get quest items and essential equipment so a slow grind ended up happening. But soon after that the game really picked up for me and money isn't too much of an issue now.

This game has a lot of love put into it. Music is very good and the characters and their dialogue are well done too. Gameplay is challenging but feels rewarding once you get the hang of it. I realized this wasn't a hand-holding experience and that I needed to be careful during fights and managing recovery items or I'd get destroyed. Overall I'm happy I bought this.
  2. Aug 24, 2020
    I'm having a blast playing this game, despite knowing that it would be a challenging experience. It was super satisfying beating an obstacle/ boss that was giving me trouble. However I can see the complaint about how money is scarce in the game to be a legitimate pitfall of the game forcing you to grind a bit, but I felt it was not that detrimental to my overall experience with what theI'm having a blast playing this game, despite knowing that it would be a challenging experience. It was super satisfying beating an obstacle/ boss that was giving me trouble. However I can see the complaint about how money is scarce in the game to be a legitimate pitfall of the game forcing you to grind a bit, but I felt it was not that detrimental to my overall experience with what the rest of the game had to offer. But if you're up for a fun, but challenging, game with great art and music than I would definitely recommend this game to others. Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2020
    I first played the flash game, 'Phoenotopia', when I was around thirteen. After almost eight years of faithfully following the games development, 'Phoenotopia: Awakening' has been released! I'm only at the beginning of the game right now, but I can already tell this is an great expansion of the flash game! I love the expanded pixel art animation for the characters, the ability to see moreI first played the flash game, 'Phoenotopia', when I was around thirteen. After almost eight years of faithfully following the games development, 'Phoenotopia: Awakening' has been released! I'm only at the beginning of the game right now, but I can already tell this is an great expansion of the flash game! I love the expanded pixel art animation for the characters, the ability to see more of Panselo and the way traveling in the game is handled. The level of detail and colors in the game are very colorful and help create a more real atmosphere to the game. I love how certain NPC's, like the male guard, has such a funny dialogue. The game mechanics are good, although I have not been able to cook the 'Mystery Meat' without failing(-.-), I have successfully cooked more than enough frog legs. So far, the mechanics/controls of the game are easy to adapt to. The only thing I had a slight problem doing was using the gear ring, but I caught on quickly enough to what you are supposed to do, which is move the right side directional arrow/stick and then, with a tool or item, like 'Frog Legs', press down on the controller/stick. I kept clicking 'A' at first, but then I got it.

I'm so glad I can play this game. I hope others can also play and enjoy this game as much as I have and I already look forward to the next Phoenotopia!
  4. Sep 11, 2020
    Phoenotopia had its hooks in me despite a lot of its flaws, and I think it's the core that's great and the bogies protruding off of it that are more the issues. Despite that, we have an adventure-platformer a la Zelda II with a difficulty like Dark Souls and a charm like EarthBound crossed with Kirby with engaging writing and music. Not for the feint of heart despite how cute it can look.
  5. Aug 30, 2020
    Basically a perfect blend of Zelda games (in a Zelda II shell) with a touch of Metroid and a very charming aesthetic. Bought this randomly on the Switch store and didn’t expect the amount of substance, or the level of attention to detail.
  6. Xs
    Aug 25, 2020
    I wanted so bad to like this game. I have 10 hours logged. In that 10 hours I have played one dungeon that had a hard but fun boss. I thought, cool I like this game. That was the first hour. Since then I have been wandering from town to town talking to NPC's. Im not being sarcastic. That has taken 9 hours. That is the way the game is designed. I'm now at a point i had to buy something toI wanted so bad to like this game. I have 10 hours logged. In that 10 hours I have played one dungeon that had a hard but fun boss. I thought, cool I like this game. That was the first hour. Since then I have been wandering from town to town talking to NPC's. Im not being sarcastic. That has taken 9 hours. That is the way the game is designed. I'm now at a point i had to buy something to continue but don't have the money. I have been trying to grind for the money for about an hour and im still no where close. I decided to give you guys a heads up. Im not saying I'm giving up but the game has been extremely hard and boring up until now. Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2020
    Do not buy until developers release a patch to improve gameplay. Do not be fooled by the games charming retro presentation this game is a **** of fustrating game design decisions.You have a stamina bar that runs out too quick and drags out fights with even the most basic enemies, Then there is the fact that money is so hard to come by and you need a lot of it to progress , theres the lackDo not buy until developers release a patch to improve gameplay. Do not be fooled by the games charming retro presentation this game is a **** of fustrating game design decisions.You have a stamina bar that runs out too quick and drags out fights with even the most basic enemies, Then there is the fact that money is so hard to come by and you need a lot of it to progress , theres the lack of invincibility frames where you can find yourself being smacked around like a pinball between enemies. This is another retro styled game that doesnt undesrtand how videogames have evolved and become more accessible since the nintendo years we need to stop milking the past and stary looking forward. Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2020
    Enchanting backgrounds, satisfying puzzles (especially musical ones), vast exploration, appealing replayability, variety of items, tentacular, yet original lore and narrative... I could go on forever about all the neat things that make this game so much more than the eternal classics it probably took its inspiration from. Gunnm, Asimov's Robots, Metroid, and of course, Zelda 2!

Beyond

Beyond the satisfaction of finding these familiar references in the game, my craving for a proper classic action-adventure game, that's not a roguelite or a metroidvania, has been satisfied, which I didn't even expect anymore at this point, to be honest. At last, some good news in 2020. Let's hope for a sequel!
  9. Oct 4, 2020
    As much as I'd love to give this game a great score, the action and combat are way too frustrating and painful at times. Every other RPG element about Phoenotopia deserves a 9 or 10, but the combat mechanics is a 5 or 6. I never once enjoyed combat and it was acceptable at best. The monster design and bosses are actually fine, but facing them with **** mechanics is maddening. TheAs much as I'd love to give this game a great score, the action and combat are way too frustrating and painful at times. Every other RPG element about Phoenotopia deserves a 9 or 10, but the combat mechanics is a 5 or 6. I never once enjoyed combat and it was acceptable at best. The monster design and bosses are actually fine, but facing them with **** mechanics is maddening. The protagonist is way too wonky. I think the developers have mistaken challenging with irritating. They even managed to make running and rolling difficult. The rest of this game is amazing, which is the only reason I've managed to finish it (that and the patches, or else I would never have managed to get through). It's sad that they couldn't keep the mechanics simple, but had to complicate them with what they figured to be innovation. Expand
  10. Oct 24, 2020
    This is a great game. The graphics are cute with smooth animations. The gameplay is exploration focused, with some combat as well. The world-building and story is really well done, and the amount of content is INSANE, with over 50 hours for completionists. There were some issues with difficulty at release, but they have been fixed in recent patches. An easy 10/10.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 29, 2020
    Phoenotopia: Awakening has a highly inviting look, but the gameplay can’t match the tone. Some ill-fitting decisions work against it, and the emphasis isn’t always where it should be. It’s still an ambitious, impressive indie adventure that demonstrates real passion, but one reflecting growing pains.
  2. Sep 22, 2020
    Overall Phoenotopia is a very beautiful looking game that does well at hiding its punishing difficulty, whilst people who are looking for a Zelda 2 style game may be attracted to this title, the more causal amongst us will find it very difficult to enjoy the later aspects of the game where in truth the game gets easier.
  3. Aug 26, 2020
    The visuals and atmosphere at first seem standard as far as pixelated indie games go, but it does have more going on than it may initially suggest. Things start out very bright and colourful, like most Ghibli-inspired indie titles tend to be, but Phoenotopia: Awakening has a much darker side to it. There are some weirdly chilling moments and well directed sequences that build a profound sense of unease and alienation. There are some surprises within that may shock people who dismiss this as another generic Zelda II clone. The team behind this is not afraid to get dark and to show a little teeth.