5.6

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 21, 2021
    I like this LEGO Duplo game.
  2. Nov 21, 2021
    They could have done more and done it in a more refined art style but the music is just perfect and overall a nice remaster although not a real remake.
  3. Nov 21, 2021
    Good game, I generally love all the animations and remade models, and I think it lives up to the original game in every aspect.
  4. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Llegué con una antorcha para quemarle la casa a IlCA estudios pero no. Este juego es entretenido, viciante. Sin darte cuenta tienes 20 horas jugando. Para ser un remake me gustó mucho, lo recomiendo. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2021
    The triumphant return of my favorite generation, with changes consistent with current generations and new mechanics that make the game more relaxing or enjoyable.
  6. Nov 21, 2021
    Many times the Pokémon Company has been criticized in the past for my very bad judgment, but with the latest games (including this one), I see that the saga is in very good hands.
  7. Nov 21, 2021
    It reminds me a lot of Animal Crossing and Link's Awakening in terms of style, and that's what fascinates me the most about these remakes.
    I have never played any of the Pokémon on DS, and I consider this to be a worthy way to visit such installments.
  8. Nov 20, 2021
    I feel that these are welcome additions to the remake category, though they are not without flaws, I definitely feel that compared to the original Diamond and Pearl entries these are superior.

They are much faster than the originals especially when it comes to surfing and trudging through the northern snow routes, which even in platinum was still a slow process to deal with. Gym Leaders are just as challenging, in the cases of some of them even more so, and the E4 and Cynthia are even more extreme, and the grand underground exploration is so great, being able to find pokemon that are not in the original sinnoh dex and being able to use them, between that and the upgraded digging style, you could stay down there for hours and even better you can save down there so you are not forced to leave.

there are some aspects I do wish they had kept from platinum, such as platinum's story, and the distortion world, but removing them are not deal breakers, also despite the EXP share being on constantly, it has not made the game any easier for me, I can understand the fustration of those who wish that they could turn it off, but I feel the game is challenging even with it on.

Overall I find these games solid for games that were outsourced and I feel like the only true way to judge them is to try them yourself, perhaps by renting or borrowing them from a friend before you make the decision yourself as in the end you are the only one who can decide if a game is bad or not, and I personally feel these are good installments even if they aren't perfect.
  9. dfq
    Nov 21, 2021
    I‘m having a blast with this game. It might be mostly nostalgia, but that‘s what I wanted (I believe that‘s what people generally want from a remake). They managed to make it feel almost exactly how I remember the games from my childhood. Graphics-wise it may not look as “advanced“ as Pokémon Sword/Shield but if you don‘t mind the chibi-look, which I actually really like, it looks reallyI‘m having a blast with this game. It might be mostly nostalgia, but that‘s what I wanted (I believe that‘s what people generally want from a remake). They managed to make it feel almost exactly how I remember the games from my childhood. Graphics-wise it may not look as “advanced“ as Pokémon Sword/Shield but if you don‘t mind the chibi-look, which I actually really like, it looks really good. The male player character looks a little bit strange, but that doesn‘t deserve a 0/10 rating in my opinion.

Referring to other user reviews, why ruin a perfectly fun old game by completely changing it? If you don‘t like playing exactly the same game with updated graphics and a few quality-of-life improvements (that are still true to the originals), then you shouldn‘t buy it. I mean, what do these people expect? That‘s what a remake is, right?

This isn‘t a „lazy remake“. I’ve seen mostly superficial criticism in these user reviews which don‘t justify a 0/10 rating. Also, the games being too easy is always a subjective matter. It has some small issues, sure, but which game doesn‘t?

I honestly found Pokémon Sword/Shield to be really bland and disappointing when they had released and found myself having more fun on my Nintendo DS playing my original copy of Pokémon Platinum. Now that I can replay the fourth Pokémon generation on the large screen in Full HD with some annoying things from the Nintendo DS versions of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl removed and some enhancements added, I‘m having a lot of fun again. In my opinion they delivered precisely what a fan of the old games would have wanted. They even added the Underground which is amazing! You can have so much fun playing these games either alone or with your friends.

I absolutely recommend buying and trying out these remakes!
  10. Nov 21, 2021
    im quite enjoying BDSP its HD annd 3D diamond and Pearl with added online features and it also adds great quality of life features like EXP share and the map saying where to go which is super handy because i hated getting lost in the originals because it did not tell me where HMs are or where to go and speaking of HMs they also fixed that too they made it so HMs are no longer tied to yourim quite enjoying BDSP its HD annd 3D diamond and Pearl with added online features and it also adds great quality of life features like EXP share and the map saying where to go which is super handy because i hated getting lost in the originals because it did not tell me where HMs are or where to go and speaking of HMs they also fixed that too they made it so HMs are no longer tied to your Pokemon i also quite like the new shiny sparkles they are super pretty so overall 10/10 its amazing Expand
  11. Nov 21, 2021
    I wonder why so many people who love originals hate on the remaster. If it's basically the same content then the only thing you may not like would be it's graphical representation. Judging it makes no sense as the art style is a flavor. Based on one's perception it can not be junged objectively. What can be judged objectively is the quality of content (in game object oriented content)I wonder why so many people who love originals hate on the remaster. If it's basically the same content then the only thing you may not like would be it's graphical representation. Judging it makes no sense as the art style is a flavor. Based on one's perception it can not be junged objectively. What can be judged objectively is the quality of content (in game object oriented content) which in my opinion is stunning in this game.
    The fact that people don't understand the difference between remake and a remaster is one thing. What drains me is that serious majority of people struggle with judging a thing they don't like as good (and vice versa). Music in this game stands in its own class. Graphical art style gives this game new identity. Quality of life improvements are present for games good. I don't see what is it that mekes this game worse than its predecessor. Judging it as a game: 7,8/10 in my opinion
  12. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know why so many people are complaining about BDSP, this is honestly a really charming and great remake of the original Diamond and Pearl games, with some incredible quality of life improvements.

Pros:
    -Really charming art style and gorgeous graphics, with some really nice looking battle backgrounds and great looking environments.
    -Uses the expanded Pokémon Platinum Dex, which has much more Pokémon for the player to use.
    -The Underground was upgraded very well with the Grand Underground, and Pokémon Hideaways are super fun to explore.
    -You don't need to use HMs on your team members, instead Wild Pokémon will use them for you when you need to by being selected on the Poketch.

Cons:
    -TMs are breakable
    -Post Game content can be a bit underwhelming, and the lack of a Battle Frontier is pretty sad.
    -It's a bit easier for my liking, but you can make it more difficult by using set battle style, no healing items, etc.
    -Exp. Share is mandatory, but it's pretty decently Balanced.

Overall, a solid 8/10. Good job ILCA.
  13. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game overworld is gorgeous and Chibi art style is much better than the first trailer. The game is so much more easier to play and have so many better features than the original games. The only reason I am rating this 8/10 is because the definitively better version Pokémon Platinum has so many of its features removed that it makes the game content feel so much more smaller than it actually is. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2021
    The game is a faithful remake of the original game with small features, but with great elegance in its game play. The game is still fun, although some choices made by Game Freak have infuriated fans of the franchise, the game has preserved its features like its beautiful soundtrack and a nice update on the Grand Underground.
  15. Nov 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sopa es sopa Porque sopa no es más una sola si una sola es sopa, que será sopa? Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2021
    If you haven’t played ds version. This is your best choice. (Unless you particularly like the watch function)
  17. Nov 21, 2021
    Great remake. It retains the original glitches from the games, replaces Pal park with a park to catch legendaries, nice chibi style, keeps Cynthia hard, and etc. On my 2nd playthrough right now and I **** love the game.
  18. Nov 21, 2021
    At least a good remaster, better than that stupid GTA theology anyway.....
  19. Nov 20, 2021
    ILCA le hizo justicia a mi Generación favorita. Adoro los modelos Chibis ya que originalmente el Overworld de Pokémon fue así y los gráficos luminosos son bastantes bonitos.
  20. Nov 21, 2021
    Are they perfect? No
    Are they fun? Yes
    Does it include platinum content? No Are the graphics bad? No Would you replay them again? In a heartbeat BDSP is, without a shadow of a doubt, a trip down nostalgia lane, a re-imagining of the original journeys throughout the Sinnoh Region from their initial outings in Diamond & Pearl. Story If the goal was to achieve faithful remakes of those
    Are they perfect? No
    Are they fun? Yes
    Does it include platinum content? No
    Are the graphics bad? No
    Would you replay them again? In a heartbeat

BDSP is, without a shadow of a doubt, a trip down nostalgia lane, a re-imagining of the original journeys throughout the Sinnoh Region from their initial outings in Diamond & Pearl. Story If the goal was to achieve faithful remakes of those games, then ILCA have fully succeeded in their mission. It’s just as leisurely paced as the original Diamond & Pearl, encouraging the player to take their time and take in their surroundings. The story of DP is quite grand but it wasn’t fully realised and developed until Platinum. Lots to do & explore whilst not feeling too linear with a maze-like map. In this instance however, after playing through the game, I personally feel as though the fleshed out story beats from Platinum are missing here.

Graphics
    They’re clean, charming & capture the essence of what classic top-down Pokémon used to be. Cutesy & child-like. Sword & Shiled in comparison can look a little muddy around the edges. There were a few janky animations from time-to-time but nothing that didn’t just make me smile and giggle. They clearly take inspiration from the Links Awakening remake, and on reflection, it was probably the better route to go down than trying to re-create these games in Sw/Sh graphics. Don’t be fooled by the initial reveal trailer, the improvements in lighting, shading & character models has come on leaps & bounds since we first saw it at the beginning of the year. Everything Else
    -The roster of Pokémon is as it was in Gen 4, it actually makes for a decent challenge trying to shape a team with the Pokémon you have at your disposal. We won’t get all the Pokémon in Legebds Arceus, we didn’t get them all in Sw/Sh, why should this be any different?
    -The grand underground is a place where you could spend hours hunting through the walls or capturing Pokémon, otherwise unobtainable in the overworld for your adventure. ILCA, you did a cracking job of the underground and making it useful & accessible for everyone. -Contests have been re-defined & streamlined but IMO I would say this was for the worst. Contests in the original had substance & felt like a journey in of themselves. The new version of contests are a rhythm game - great if you’re short of time, but I didn’t feel as though I had something to work towards. Poffin making can be tedious at times! - The EXP share was a necessary edition although it should have been a toggleable option. I had it on for my whole journey and blacked out a couple of times! It negates the grind, but ideally should’ve been optional. I very much enjoyed my time with BDSP, ILCA have managed to rekindle that inner child and bring back memories of playing my original copy of Diamond back in 2007. Newcomers of the series will have a shock as BDSP is the genuine article when it comes to what Classic Pokémon is all about. A little bit tough, a grand adventure & a lot of fun. Highly recommend first time Pokémon players pick up this one rather than any of the more recent entries. ILCA catered this game to the fans of Diamond & Pearl, a love letter to what Pokémon used to be, trying not to get hung up on the more recent additions & changes in the newer games. I hope TPC continue to outsource some of their projects.
  21. Nov 21, 2021
    A nostalgic journey from start to finish, a game recommended only for those who have not played the 4th generation on Nintendo DS, or want to remember them with adorable graphics.
  22. Nov 21, 2021
    This blows Sword and Shield out of the water in terms of effort and completeness. I'm having an enjoyable experience the likes of which I haven't gotten out of a mainline Pokemon game in quite awhile! Highly recommend for Pokemon fans seeking a return to form.
  23. Nov 20, 2021
    Coming from sword and shield, even if it’s not the remake that we dreamt of, it’s by far, as it is conservative, the best Pokémon game on Switch
  24. Nov 20, 2021
    Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and it’s sister version Shiny Pearl are a return to form for Pokémon and with a fairly new team (ILCA inc.) at the helm of these remakes it’s a nice revisit to Sinnoh! While lacking in the drastic changes as other remakes in the series these games are faithful recreations to the letter, sometimes going abit too far. With the large and anticipated Pokémon Legends:Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and it’s sister version Shiny Pearl are a return to form for Pokémon and with a fairly new team (ILCA inc.) at the helm of these remakes it’s a nice revisit to Sinnoh! While lacking in the drastic changes as other remakes in the series these games are faithful recreations to the letter, sometimes going abit too far. With the large and anticipated Pokémon Legends: Arceus looming in the not so distant future these games are a great way for new players to the series to experience the great adventures that were the original Diamond and Pearl, but also a great starting place as well! Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2021
    At this point i am ignoring all the negative reviews. I think this game is a fantastic remake of the original games and miles better than the disappointment that was sword and shield.
  26. Nov 20, 2021
    Good game, I haven't played the original diamond and pearl but I'm finding this one fun.
  27. Nov 21, 2021
    Un par de remakes mucho mejores que lo que fueron en su dia Let's Go Pikachu y Eevee.
    Aunque hubiera preferido mil veces un Sinnoh recreado bajo el estilo de Galar, este estilo chibi adorable y muy pequeño, en remembranza de los sprites originales, sinceramente no me molesta.
    Si bien el juego es mas fácil, no es restrictivo ni te obliga a pasar por el aro, puedes jugarlo de múltiples maneras en busca de mayor dificultad.
    La música, los modelos y el enviroment esta muy bien rediseñado, y al jugarlo y al ser tan fiel en todo lo que se propone, produce una gran sensación de nostalgia.
  28. Nov 21, 2021
    Best Pokemon game in years, a true return to form. Don't listen to other reviews, Pokemon fans always cry and are never satisfied with anything. This is a great game and well worth $60.
  29. Nov 21, 2021
    Отличная игра. Чиби графика совершенно к месту. В бою отличные анимации и визуал. Отличная возможность поиграть в 4 поколение, если до этого не играли.
    Минус бал за отсутствие локализации.
  30. Nov 21, 2021
    Many detractors out there unfairly criticize this game, but really and after many hours of play, I conclude that it is a faithful remake that maintains all the essence of its original games.
    Both myself and my children have enjoyed it immensely.
  31. Nov 20, 2021
    An enjoyable return to form for Pokemon and a great way to revisit Sinnoh .
  32. Nov 21, 2021
    The game is very good, the original titles urgently needed a remake, it has a lot of wasted potential and even so it is a fun game, complete and adapted to modern times with some additions that make it more worth buying, if you are doubting it you I recommend that you buy it, you will not regret it
  33. Nov 21, 2021
    To those review bombing... Stop you look stupid as this is very clearly not a 0 or even less than a 6 if you like Pokémon in anyway shape or form. To put it short its DP but with added content and QOL improvements. I see a lot of dumb comments here saying its a broken game or FPS is terrible or that the graphics are bad... None of which are true at all. I have 15 hours in Diamond rn andTo those review bombing... Stop you look stupid as this is very clearly not a 0 or even less than a 6 if you like Pokémon in anyway shape or form. To put it short its DP but with added content and QOL improvements. I see a lot of dumb comments here saying its a broken game or FPS is terrible or that the graphics are bad... None of which are true at all. I have 15 hours in Diamond rn and have spotted 1 FPS drop when I played unpatched. If you enjoy Pokémon just buy it as you will enjoy it Expand
  34. Nov 20, 2021
    I'm having fun with this game and this doesn't deserved to be reviewed bomb
  35. Nov 21, 2021
    This is exactly what I want from a remake of a Pokémon game. Does it reinvent the series? No, as it shouldn’t have to. The graphics are fine as they are a modernized version of the DS original akin to the Link’s Awakening remake. The gameplay loop is the same as every other mainline Pokémon game and is solid per usual. It brings back that sense of exploration missing from the base SwordThis is exactly what I want from a remake of a Pokémon game. Does it reinvent the series? No, as it shouldn’t have to. The graphics are fine as they are a modernized version of the DS original akin to the Link’s Awakening remake. The gameplay loop is the same as every other mainline Pokémon game and is solid per usual. It brings back that sense of exploration missing from the base Sword and Shield game which I desperately missed. It’s a perfect time sink while waiting for Arceus, the game that should be striving to further the series in terms of reinvention. This game doesn’t deserve the low score many are giving it, it’s at least a 7–8 in my book. Even if nostalgia colored glasses, which are a powerful tool, influence my decision. Expand
  36. Nov 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Questo gioco e di una bellezza inimmaginabile e ti permetterà di rivivere le vecchie emozioni Expand
  37. Nov 21, 2021
    A very fun game. Faithful to the original while adding a few thing to spruce it up. I feel like it’s a bit more difficult than previous entries have been and I welcome that as I’ve felt more recent entries have literally been 1 hit battles. Thankfully this doesn’t happen nearly as often or at least it hasn’t in my case so far. Only a few times have I 1 hit an opponent and it was mostly dueA very fun game. Faithful to the original while adding a few thing to spruce it up. I feel like it’s a bit more difficult than previous entries have been and I welcome that as I’ve felt more recent entries have literally been 1 hit battles. Thankfully this doesn’t happen nearly as often or at least it hasn’t in my case so far. Only a few times have I 1 hit an opponent and it was mostly due to being a much higher level and having a type advantage. I enjoy the chibi graphical style for the overworld and find that it is reminiscent of the older DS games. I don’t remember anyone having an issue with X and Ys or OR/AS chibi style, why all the hate for it now?

I don’t understand all the negative reviews. Is the lack of platinum game elements disappointing? A bit yes. Is it game breaking? No, at least not for me. Modern More recent Pokémon games are constantly throwing new gimmicks at the series to keep it fresh. Megas, Z-moves, V-max, wild area, regional variants. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl take the series back to a more simplistic period and I find it quite refreshing amidst the all numerous features and additions that the modern games have jam packed into them. These are classic DS era Pokémon remakes with only a few frills here and there. Sorry if you were expecting this to be some super ultra remaster of the century, it’s just classic Pokémon. Honestly that’s all I wanted and ILCA delivered.
  38. Nov 21, 2021
    I grew up playing Pokémon games on the Gameboy like many others, Emerald was the last one I played many years ago so I was excited to see what Gen 4 had to offer. I had been craving a traditional Pokémon experience on the Switch ever since it came out and these remasters are exactly what I was looking for.
    The graphics are similar to Link's Awakening in appearance, music is top notch just like in Emerald and the game runs at 30fps. One major flaw with the game is that it is far too easy, most of the time I just breeze through battles one shotting everything in sight. Great game but a hard mode or some difficulty settings would have been a nice addition for those looking for a proper challenge.

Overall I highly recommend this game to people who are new to Diamond/Pearl, I am not sure how it compares to the originals so this review is for players who have never played them before.
  39. Nov 21, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains will conatin spoilers be warned: I think this game is good/solid. Sure it's not the Sinnoh Remake that could have been but for what it is it's very passable. It's certainly at the very least the best Pokemon game on the Switch (in my opinion) at the time of writing this. If no one wants to read the entire thing I'll have a TLDR at the bottom:

Some Pro's In my opinion:

- The Sinnoh Region is still full of content Contests, Ball Customization, Hidden Caves and other Areas, etc. For those who don't know there probably are also going to be events regarding Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus again and its just like the classic games where you actually have to go to a new area and catch them as opposed to just receiving them from a random NPC in the Pokecenter.

-The "graphics" are great in terms of the lighting, the water especially(seriously the water is awesome), and most of the background's in battles, the "chbi"ness of it is a little more divisive but I find it cute. When the game switches into battle mode the full sized character models also look well rendered.

-The Removal of HM Slaves (don't really need to elaborate)

-The Grand Underground is pretty big I'd even say it's more interesting than even the Wild Area as it's pretty much the same concept and is all pretty much flat land. However there's also the nice mini-game of mining which returns and the environments are cooler . It also adds in some more fire types and you can catch every starter from every region that's Gen 4 and below.

-The Postgame: There's actually some good content. Gym leader rematches with competitive teams/movesets and a they use their Platinum Mons and have IVS. A Lvl. 100 Giratina super boss for his Origin form orb at Ranmas Park, Elite 4 Rematches with competitive teams/movesets and IV's ex. Aaron has a Lvl. 77 Heracross with guts and a flame orb on his 2nd rematch, Ranmas Park, and pretty much the same post game from Diamond and Pearl which honestly is only slightly not as good as Platinum's.

- Following Pokemon(most of the time) It is cool that they have this. But there are times when they're a little annoying. Their walk speed isn't always in sync and because they're an actual object you just run into them and have to push them to get across sometimes. They also get stuck in some areas and have to teleport to you. It's fine for the most part though.

-Miscellaneous: Different Outfits, Waaay Faster than Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, The Music is great and they even have DS Sounds in post game so you can listen to it as a bunch of MIDI's lol.

- Good Intro for kids of this generation. I think Teens/Adults may find it less challenging than the Originals. But and this is just speculation I think the difficulty of this game can be a good challenge for kids. Mars's fight actually scared me a bit and any kid choosing Chimchar better grind to get a Monferno/Power up Punch before that first gym. And let's not forget Cynthia and Her 2 rematches all with stated perfect IV mons, a competitively viable team, and her Garchomp.

Some Cons:

- Removal of furniture/customizability for secret bases. Weird Decision on ILCA's part to not just have secret bases back entirely.

- No On/Off toggle for EXP. All opinions/gameplay may vary but having the EXP. All makes the middle game really easy PROVIDED that you fought 90% of the trainers, explored every single area, and fought like 80% of wild encounters. It is a bit more manageable in early game since there aren't that many trainers/high level pokemon but middle game is kind of easy to clear. I had to try and avoid battling so much in order to be on curve. It is a bit better than previous entries as you're mons will only be slightly higher than the gym leaders. But It can be really abused. (Especially with the Grand Underground)

- Slight Lack of Platinum Content ex; Battle Frontier, Resort villa, platinum story (there is a "distortion room" for Ranmas park but not a distortion world) While it sucks that this game is lacking these. I think the content added supplements most of these losses.

- Return of Breakable TM's really weird choice but Is only an issue for those who are attempting competitive. In honesty I believe competitive will probably be staying in Sword and Shield. However I think this game also has a chance for it's own competitive scene. But VGC will most likely stay in SWSH.

- Sound effects sometimes cut in and out(Idk if that's just me) not too big but it made me pause sometimes to think about it.

- I bumped into stuff a bit because the chibi is a lot bigger than what I was expecting It was a little annoying not gonna lie. (This might just be a me problem)

TLDR: I think this game is worth trying. At least if anything try it for the post game, the grand underground, and the chance to replay/start sinnoh with a new coat of paint.
  40. Nov 21, 2021
    It's fun, you can catch ANYONE YOU RUN INTO regardless of badges or stuff. You're free. It's a very great remake and if I had limited money, I'd pick this up as the best pokemon on switch.
  41. Nov 21, 2021
    Great game i hope they will release more pokemons with this engine, It reminds me of the old style of pokemon. Pokemon shield and sword were very bad and before those sun and moon sucked too. So i'm happy that after 4 yesrs there is finally a pokemon game i can enjoy.
  42. Nov 22, 2021
    It's good .... don't get the fuss, not an overly impressive nor overly bad game. Good fun if you like a standard Pokemon adventure with insanely good music. Graphics are chibi style and if that is something that bothers you too much you are already decided anyway ... they are okay in person, it's no Link's Awakening but it has its moments and chibi villains are just cutely funny in a goodIt's good .... don't get the fuss, not an overly impressive nor overly bad game. Good fun if you like a standard Pokemon adventure with insanely good music. Graphics are chibi style and if that is something that bothers you too much you are already decided anyway ... they are okay in person, it's no Link's Awakening but it has its moments and chibi villains are just cutely funny in a good way. Difficulty seems to be better than your standard Pokemon game though it does seem to be messing a some of the stuff that made Sword and Shield really good.

8/10 seems to be a fair score to me, it's good and that's about it for me.
  43. Nov 20, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love underground this remaser and i enjoy this game but i don't like exp share all / Expand
  44. Nov 22, 2021
    I’ve enjoyed this game a lot!

I’ve enjoyed this game a lot!

Seeing Pokémon Diamond and Pearl in 3D like this was a lot of fun. At first, I didn’t enjoy the overworld style in the trailers all that much, but that feeling quickly faded away as I played the game. Small adjustments which have been made to the game to make some quality of life changes have been very welcome! The battle system is snappy and doesn’t waste any of your time!

The Grand Underground is a lot of fun, has been made a bit more simple in comparison to the originals on the Nintendo DS and have been expanded at the same time, now including wild Pokémon to catch and train against!

The inclusion of the Experience Share for every one of your party members shaves off a lot of time previously spent sending out your weakest Pokémon, switching to a stronger one and then finishing the battle, or being able to only train one Pokémon at a time with a single Experience Share Hold Item, which makes it a LOT easier to help evolve Pokémon for completing your Pokédex!

All in all, I’ve been having a lot of fun with this game, though I personally see this as more of a €40,00 title, rather than a full-price one. I would have wanted to see even MORE from this remake than what we got. I can recommend this game for sure though!
  45. Nov 22, 2021
    Excellent Game, please don’t listen to the 0 ratings it’s just ridiculous. This game actually has some soul put into it
  46. Nov 22, 2021
    A 6.1? Seriously? I'm starting to think that there is a growing trend in this site to review-bomb anything that comes out without any valid reasoning. I get the new Battlefield and COD because both DICE and Activision clearly have proven again that they don't care about the consumers so long as people keep buying their lackluster games. You can see the irony on B2042 being one of Steam'sA 6.1? Seriously? I'm starting to think that there is a growing trend in this site to review-bomb anything that comes out without any valid reasoning. I get the new Battlefield and COD because both DICE and Activision clearly have proven again that they don't care about the consumers so long as people keep buying their lackluster games. You can see the irony on B2042 being one of Steam's worst reviewed games ever and still being in the top 10 games being played. I can also see mixed or bad reviews of mediocre remasters like the GTA trilogy but this remake is in my opinion, one textbook example of how to make a fantastic and faithful adaptation of a beloved classic. The game's characters are Chibi, something that really doesn't detract at all because it feels like a throwback to the classic top-down games that preceded it. The graphics look great and the performance is spot on. The game retains absolutely everything in terms of the story, the places, the characters, the music and expands on the post game content heavily. It features a massive underground map so that you can catch many older generation Pokémon and while it can be grindy at times in terms of catching specific legendaries, its still very addicting. The game wasn't hard at all though but it more than made for it on the Pokémon League. Sinnoh still has the hardest league and final champion of every mainline game so my Pokémon really had to sweat to win it. The game is honestly perfect and that's because they gave this remake project to ILCA, a company that actually cares and respect the originals. Game Freak has lost its touch heavily and cannot make good Pokémon games anymore. They should just stick to printing money like Rockstar, Activision, and EA. Expand
  47. Nov 20, 2021
    These remakes do the bare minimum and charge $60 for it. Before you buy this game, know what you're getting into:

- Poor presentation. It has a poor chibi art style, horribly converted music, and ill-fitting font. - TMs are single-use again. The game adds in multiple QoL features, yet takes away the most QoL-friendly feature over the past decade. Some trainers give multiple TMs, but

- TMs are single-use again. The game adds in multiple QoL features, yet takes away the most QoL-friendly feature over the past decade. Some trainers give multiple TMs, but prepare for a slog if you want to get more in the post-game.

- Like Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, it omits additions from Platinum, such as the superior trainer rosters, a fleshed-out Distortion World, and Battle Frontier. It doesn't even include the back button for the Poketch.

- No extra regions (like FireRed/LeafGreen's Sevii Islands) or new post-game story (like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire).

- Removes or simplifies certain features, like Super Contests or the Underground Secret Bases

- The games have a barely functional online multiplayer system at launch and don't have the ability to transfer older Pokemon at launch.

- Like Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, catching older legendaries in the post-game is a tedious, luck-based process involving the Grand Underground.

- The games barely improve on the maligned Honey Tree mechanic, and the post-game grind for competitive items and TMs is still a slog.

- Like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, it lacks a proper random online battling system, so be prepared to face random teams full of Dialga and Palkia.

- Only includes the first 493 Pokemon (similar to how Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee only included 153 Pokemon).

- Inconsistent addition of newer features; it adds in moves and consumable items from later generations, yet removes most of the recent held items (like Assault Vest).

- First Pokemon games since Crystal (2000/2001) not to include new Pokemon species, forms, or moves.

- The Platinum outfits are locked to early-order bonuses instead of being available normally.

(I won't mention the mandatory Exp. Share, since all of the Pokemon games are easy. I will say that the series is long overdue for multiple difficulty levels, though.)

if you can look past that long list of negatives, there is some fun to be had. Walking Pokemon and trainer customizations are welcome additions from other games, and the post-game rematches have well-designed teams. Being able to catch a variety of Pokemon in the Grand Underground and participate in Super Contests online are also solid additions. Finally, the base games still hold up, even with all of the questionable changes.

Overall, there's a reason these are the lowest rated paired Pokemon games to date. Decades of laziness has finally taken its toll on the franchise.
  48. Nov 21, 2021
    I really do not want to give such a bad review to the game, but there is no other way to say it:

This game is a terrible, unfinished Money Grab by the Pokémon Company. They did not even bother to get GameFreak involved, instead they just got an IOS developer do the job as terrible as possible. Literally no content, terrible graphics and animations, no innovation, only the old pokémon mechanics. Less content than the older games. I personnally do not dislike the chibi style, but the textures are bad. One example: Tree1.png in the fighting background. Technically bad, randomly crashes, sometimes doesn't recognize controller input despite the controller working and many more issues. Content needs to be downloaded via update. And all of that for 60 bucks.

Do it like me and don't buy this game, even if it is pokémon. Rather try finding the old original games, especially platinum, and play it on a 3DS.

Lets Hope that the Pokémon Company soon regains its sanity and for better games.
  49. Nov 20, 2021
    This game, and it's sister game Shining Pearl, are some of the most superfluous games I have ever played. I mean, yeah, if you play a remake of a game you already own, it will feel pointless, but while Diamond and Pearl were obviously made in 2006, they were great for the DS, while the remakes still feel like they're stuck in 2006. Even just considering Pokémon remakes, those still had aThis game, and it's sister game Shining Pearl, are some of the most superfluous games I have ever played. I mean, yeah, if you play a remake of a game you already own, it will feel pointless, but while Diamond and Pearl were obviously made in 2006, they were great for the DS, while the remakes still feel like they're stuck in 2006. Even just considering Pokémon remakes, those still had a reason for you to pick them up.
    FireRed and LeafGreen had the Sevii Islands, so you could get Johto Pokémon in Generation 3, without having to get a Gamecube, Colosseum, or eventually XD.
    HeartGold and SoulSilver added so much content they could basically be considered new games. The Safari Zone, new routes in Johto, and Kanto dungeons that were cut from the original Gold & Silver came back, better than ever before.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, as much as they ignored the good stuff added in Emerald, *cough* Battle Frontier *cough*, Mega Evolutions were still there, in fact, they actually introduced more of them, plus two Primal Reversions for Groudon and Kyogre. And also, incredibly minor, mind you but it's still worth mentioning, Mauville City was changed, for the worse, but there was still more stuff to do than in the original GBA games.
    Even Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee allowed you to get Meltan and Melmetal in Pokémon GO, at least until you could get them just by transferring stuff into Pokémon HOME.
    Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl on the other hand, offer nothing to convince you to play them over the original Diamond and Pearl if you own them, and if you own Platinum, then apart from the Platinum Outfit available to early adopters, Rotom Forms and Origin Forme Giratina, there is no Platinum Content. No Battle Frontier (again), no Charon, No villa, and no Distortion World.
    On top of that, there's the forced Gen 6 EXP Share, which basically means if you want some sort of challenge, you need to catch 5 random EXP sponges so your starter doesn't get too overleveled, forced Amie bonuses, which basically add up to Pokemon curing themselves of statuses, boosted Critical Hit chances, and for the Pokemon to survive an attack that would otherwise faint it. At least with the Amie bonuses, you can reduce friendship with herbs, but I want my Pokemon to be friendly with me, without basically getting cheats. Also there are no regional forms and cross generational evolutions, meaning you can't use Sylveon or Sirfetch'd. Even Let's Go at least had the regional forms.
    TL;DR: If you own Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, do yourself a favor and not only avoid these games, but to hold onto them for dear life. Especially if it's Platinum. If you don't own them, or you decide to buy them anyway, then you'll be in for a horribly easy time, unless you intentionally do some things to make the game a bit more bearable.
  50. Nov 25, 2021
    Bugs from able to clone Pokémon to softlocks. So many glitches, bugs to being able to skip all trainers, walking around ending up in different spots unintended and even berry planting crashing game bugs. That's too much. It's a broken game at release. Also not a fan of chibi stylistically, weird to see the enhanced version Platinum ignored, don't understand some choices like permanent expBugs from able to clone Pokémon to softlocks. So many glitches, bugs to being able to skip all trainers, walking around ending up in different spots unintended and even berry planting crashing game bugs. That's too much. It's a broken game at release. Also not a fan of chibi stylistically, weird to see the enhanced version Platinum ignored, don't understand some choices like permanent exp share obligation and single use TM. When everything is so faithful intended, why not have exp mechanism faithful (turned off) as option too? Was a great fan of the original Diamond and Pearl, but seeing this as the upgrade in over 15 years just feels too lackluster for me. It's not really worth the $60,-. Especially compared with changes in ORAS and HGSS, this just isn't up to par. Expand
  51. Nov 20, 2021
    I loved the original games when they first came out on the DS, and this doesn't do them justice at all.
    Pitiful overworld art style, screwed up balance because of gen7 movesets and forced exp share, while at the same time providing almost no new content or any platinum content for that matter. They consciously decided against it too. Not just that, Gamefreak looked at gen 4 and was like "this isn't worth our time" and made some random mobile game company create the game for them. It looks like a joke in comparison to Alpha Saphire which released 7 years ago. Please do not support this. Show Gamefreak that you don't just gobble up anything they shove down your throat.
  52. Nov 20, 2021
    Shin Megami Tensei 5 blows these games out of the water. Pokemon is the most profitable franchise of all time. They should be embarrassed by the lack of quality and content. As a lifelong Pokemon fan I myself am embarrassed by these lazy cash grabs,
  53. Nov 20, 2021
    Pokemon BDSP are not bad games, but overall I'd say this is a pretty unambitious and mediocre remake of an average game for its time that is frankly too faithful for its own good.

In terms of graphics, the game looks completely outdated. The chibi art style is not endearing, nor does it look very good. Fortunately, the character models and pokemon look much better in battle, but all this does is make me wish they were used throughout the entire game. The in-battle models frankly look so much better than the chibi stuff.

The environments look bland and look worse than the original pixel graphics from 2006. I wish they didn't maintain the 2D tile aesthetic - it just looks fake/outdated to me. How do several indie games manage to look better than a game produced by a 105 billion dollar company?

While the soundtrack is an improvement over the original version on the DS, it still falls way short of the live orchestrated soundtrack from Sword and Shield. Unfortunately, it sounds like this soundtrack is entirely midi-based, lacking any real recorded instruments of any kind.

The story isn't all that interesting either. The original script came out around the same time as Mass Effect. The script wasn't good for its time, let alone holding up in 2021. It is a missed opportunity that the developers didn't modernize/reimagine the script to become more engaging and in line with modern RPGs or the very best of its anime. I wish the gym leaders were more fleshed out and part of the story. I wish team Galactic was given a lot more depth.

The pacing of BDSP is incredibly slow, and the game finds ways to waste your time repeatedly. Random battles are extremely outdated and are annoying, especially in caves. I am so disappointed the game did not choose to have pokemon in the overworld like the modern games.

Eggs take forever to hatch in BDSP and do not benefit from the increased hatching time found in Sword and Shield. I spent over 9000 steps to hatch the egg given to me in Hearthome City and it just wouldn't hatch for me. I got better things to do than rotate my L-stick riding a bike until it hatches. This is such an outdated game mechanic that did not need to be implemented "faithfully" in BDSP.

Battles are also super slow to the point of them becoming grating. Essentially, Pokemon battles aren't "show don't tell" - BDSP verbosely tells yous everything in nauseating detail. When I faint a pokemon, it should fall immediately when I hit it - it should be obvious to anyone what has happened to that Pokemon by just looking at the animation and the health bar going to 0. Instead, the game's faint animation happens many seconds after the hit, and BDSP still insists on telling you the pokemon fainted with an additional textbox too. Even FF7 did this properly on the Playstation 1! Why is everything so verbose with text dialog boxes for?

Before each combat round, BDSP also shows a textbox saying, "Your pokemon is awaiting directions." No kidding! Does anyone seriously need this textbox??? Stuff like "It's Raining" is also equally redundant - we can see it raining on the screen! And when using a move, there's no reason its name can't be displayed at the same time as the animation too. The amount of verbose and completely unnecessary text in this game is beyond ridiculous.

And when a battle starts, can we finally have an option to remove the Pokeball fanfare and just have all pokemon come out immediately to save time? Why does starting every random battle have to be padded with 10 seconds of animations? Can the Switch not load these battles faster?

Then there are weird control issues in BDSP, such as the L and R buttons not working in the menus like every other modern game, which tripped me up quite a bit. The d-pad is also unfortunately assigned to walking when it should have been assigned to your 4 registered items. Why did none of the QA staff say anything?

Ultimately, BDSP needed to completely reimagine modern Sinnoh in full 3D (similar to Sword and Shield), modernize and polish the script, and increase the quality of life and production values across the board to justify its AAA price tag. Barring that, BDSP needed to be sold for $29.99 given what we got. Essentially, BDSP is a low-budget cash grab and it should not be praised or endorsed in any way. Pokemon fans need to be vocal and reject these cash grabs. Pokemon fans need to demand better for their hard-earned money because BDSP is an embarrassment for a full AAA-priced game, and is simply not competitive with other AAA games on the market.

If you want to go back to the past - for all its problems - then you might enjoy BDSP. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this game. BDSP's archaic and overly-verbose design just doesn't interest me anymore. I would have much rather had a modern reimagining of modern Sinnoh with immersive 3D environments, a modern engaging story, and high production values. Modern Sinnoh deserved better.
  54. Nov 20, 2021
    I have played every main-series Pokemon game since Red and Blue. These are by far the worst. I have never left an online review for anything, but this game made me break that streak. I read the critic reviews before buying it and they were all clear that this is just a copy-paste of the original Diamond and Pearl. That definitely turned me off, but I had some old gift cards lying around soI have played every main-series Pokemon game since Red and Blue. These are by far the worst. I have never left an online review for anything, but this game made me break that streak. I read the critic reviews before buying it and they were all clear that this is just a copy-paste of the original Diamond and Pearl. That definitely turned me off, but I had some old gift cards lying around so I still bought it. I have no problem giving games a fair shot despite low expectations, literally last week I reluctantly bought SMT5 despite SMT4 having a busted battle system (Tetrakarn/Makarakarn), and it actually turned out to be pretty shockingly well-balanced. Diamond and Pearl were never my absolute favorites but I played them a lot when they came out and liked them fine. I haven't replayed them in probably ten years so I thought it'd still be fun to do so. I was incredibly wrong.

If I had to summarize the game in one word, it is "boring." There is just nothing to do, nowhere interesting to explore, and absolutely no challenge. I did a no-item Nuzlocke which is how I prefer to play Pokemon now and it is much, much easier than every other Pokemon game I've played (until you get to the Elite 4). The game is completely unbalanced for a mandatory party-wide EXP share. Even if you don't play for a challenge, there is a complete lack of variety in Pokemon you are fighting that makes even a quick playthrough feel tedious and obligatory. There is just nothing fun, exciting, or interesting about this game, so what reason is there to play it? These games were fun 15 years ago because they were new! New region, new Pokemon: a pretty good formula for something fun. In 2021, the Pokemon are not new, the region is not new, and there is a complete lack of new content (except the skippable underground), and so it turned out that I had no real reason to keep going except pure completionism.
    (Notice that I haven't mentioned how they look. That's because I think they look fine! I have no problem with the art style or graphical quality.)

I have never even remotely disliked a Pokemon game before. I even thought Let's Go was pretty fun. However, releasing essentially a carbon copy of a 15 year old game for double the original price with no effort or care towards making it fun or interesting for modern players feels like a pretty big slap in the face. ORAS felt like whole new games and are probably my favorite Pokemon games, and I was never an especially big fan of the originals. Going from those to whatever this is is a huge disappointment. Please don't spend $60 on this. Wait for Pokemon Legends, or just play ORAS, Sun/Moon, X/Y, Sword/Shield, literally any Pokemon game besides this.
  55. Nov 20, 2021
    Severely outdated and a sign Game Freak isn't giving a damn about Pokemon anymore.
    And considering this is the Switch - you'd think they'd do a better job graphically and updated the game mechanics.
    And forced EXP. Share basically ruins it - the series has already been dumbed down heavily since Sun & Moon, and this isn't going to help. Not to mention you have to download a patch to

Not to mention you have to download a patch to get the full game because it was rushed to market!

You're better off playing the DS originals and skipping this overpriced remaster.
  56. Nov 22, 2021
    Due to my lack of better judgment, I ended up buying the game because I enjoyed Platnium. Comparing it to its contemporary though, the graphics are just hideous. Especially the close ups, a 3D-modelling university student would do better. Diamond and Pearl fans deserved better...
  57. Nov 21, 2021
    The art style looks awful, going chibi was a bad choice.
    The biggest problem with the art style is that the Pokemon isn't chibi, so they look very out of place when they follow you around or exist in the overworld. Not only do they look incredible out of place, but they are also scaled down to the size of the Player, causing a Gyarados to look like a tiny blue worm.
    The animations have
    The art style looks awful, going chibi was a bad choice.
    The animations have no improvements, and they didn't even bother adding a jumping animation to the Pokemon, so they just go back into their Pokéball every time you jump off a ledge etc.
    The XP share can't be turned off, so your pokemon are always way too overpowered, completely removing any challenge that you might have had.
    I have played through a decent amount of the game now, and it feels to me like they have cut every corner that they could. The game feels like a lazy cash grab, and nothing more. I would rather just have the Original Platinum be re-released on the Switch, that what we got.
  58. Nov 20, 2021
    Vergüenza que una empresa tan popular apruebe 3 juegos super mediocres seguidos, me refiero al sword, lets go y este, adiós Pokémon
  59. Nov 20, 2021
    This is not a good remake.
    Why doesn't this remake have platinum content or any original content? When Heartgold Soulsilver had crystal content and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had some Emerald content. No story changes, graphics looks like something came out the PS2 GameCube era. ILCA and Junichi Masuda should be a shamed of themselves! This not worth $60!!!
  60. Nov 20, 2021
    Not a remake, just a remaster.
    The pokemon company didn't even tried to do something new like HGSS and ORAS those were great remakes adding new pokemon and mechanics to old games.
    This game made me appreciate the Let's go games style more.
  61. Nov 20, 2021
    Completely trivialized and lazy performance here. Only reason I’m rating it a 3 is because the original Generation 4 games were iconic for their time but it seems as if this remake is deadset on sending the franchise back to the time for the worse.
  62. Nov 20, 2021
    -The game that ships on the card is UNFINISHED. The Battle Area needs to be downloaded as an update, meaning the base game has less content than Diamond/Pearl, let alone Platinum.
    =The real contests from the original were replaced by a terrible rhythm minigame.
    -The graphics look like a low budget PS2 game. The presentation is also terrible without the patch, to the point where the title screen and credits are placeholders.

This is by far the LAZIEST Pokemon game ever made. It makes LGPE and SWSH look good by comparison. I can't believe we once complained about ORAS, that game actually had effort put into it, unlike this mess.
  63. Nov 20, 2021
    Once again, the Pokémon Company shows that it doesn't know how to create games. The worst remake ever!
  64. Nov 20, 2021
    Its a really disappointing remake. When people said they wanted gen 4 remakes, we meant platinum...

Even despite the lack of obvious improvements, its a really clunky remake. It feels BAD to play.
  65. Nov 26, 2021
    Brilliant Diamond teeters the line between yet another lazy remaster and a breath of fresh air. For me, I find that the remaster does improve the game quite a bit but is still undermined by decades old mechanics and lacking in innovation.

The graphics are the most noticeable difference here. They may even be divisive as the heads of the characters are absurdly enlarged compared to their bodies. This was jarring at first for me but I got used to it. What made me sceptical was the similarities to the models in Miitopia. Anyway, it is quite nice seeing the game on a TV screen, but where the graphics do quite suffer is in the simplicity of the designs as some pokemon such as Scyther are mostly one block of colour. Having said that, the vivid colours in some areas do stand out and the game is still immediately recognisable as Pokemon.

The gameplay is where Pokemon struggles/refuses to innovate. The core mechanics we all know and love are here, although many grow tired of them by now, myself included. They tried with Sun and Moon to shake up the formula a bit, with S+S attempting and failing at the open-world approach. BD reverts back to the tried-and-tested linear approach, for better or worse.

What stands out to me are the gym battles and Elite 4, in that these were often quite a difficulty spike. I remember this always being the case with Pokemon but it's a flaw of the game to find you have been raising the 'wrong' Pokemon for the Elite 4 and a real faff to raise the one you need at the last hurdle. Having said that, I give kudos because the gym leaders and Elite 4 go outside the box from the usual rock-paper-scissors elemental approach Pokemon has always taken.

The Underground is a new addition, and a peculiar one at that. The digging for treasure aspect resembles lootboxes too much for my liking, while the overall tunnels were a bit vacant and the rooms where you meet Pokemon I always found to contain the same handfuls I've already encountered.

The game does seem to have some end-game content, however after 20+ hours and beating the Champion I had had enough and switched off at this point, but hardcore fans could spend dozens of hours here.

The story of BD is probably Pokemon at its weakest and most formulaic. Obviously a remaster isn't a remake, but it really does show the aging concepts as the same story format is woven throughout the entire series. You won't be surprised by what you find here.

It may be that Pokemon is in a strange epoch. I grew up with it and the simplicity was appropriate as a child, but now I'm older it feels like the games have aged too but not developed. Perhaps Pokemon is caught in a bind between appealing to children vs long-time followers like me, so I can appreciate that but perhaps a simple solution is to release two very different games instead of almost identical ones. This is an amazing con and I don't understand how Nintendo still get away with it, so I deduct points for that always.

Overall, this is merely yet another Pokemon experience. It's nice to dive into for nostalgia but really they could have remade the first three generations instead as they are far more memorable for me. This game does show potential for when the effort is actually put it and makes me curious if Arceus will try stepping outside the box a bit. I'd recommend waiting for that rather than buying this.
  66. Nov 28, 2021
    I'm not writing this to contribute to review bombing, but because the game feels rushed and lacks soul. Half these reviews are about how these games are horrible and irredeemable while the other half is mindlessly praising them for the bare minimum.

No they aren't the worst games ever but they are unfinished. After FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS, the playerbase expected more content and can you blame them for that? Other than nostalgia what exactly makes these remakes anything more/less than average?

The problem is The Pokemon Company no longer prioritizes the games. Being a multimedia franchise that earns the most profit from merchandise, the games are now pumped out every three years to match up with the anime. They're now side dishes to the main course rather than the other way around.
    Add in juggling so much work they decide upon outsourcing one of the most popular generations to a company that's only used to assisting game development, and this is what happens. I don't think devs are lazy. They're all working hard and clearly trying the best they can to salvage this. It's the higher ups who are to blame for the series decline in quality.

If these games did not have "Pokemon" attached to them they most certainly would not be reviewed this high when other monster collecting games have surpassed the minuscule amount of content, and been scored lower.
  67. Nov 28, 2021
    i love the fourth generation of pokemon. since i started with sapphire, diamond and pearl were the first new generation i was able to experience. despite the negativity within the community regarding brilliant diamond and shining pearl, i was still excited. i generally don’t care about graphics, but i thought it looked okay enough, and i would pay $100 dollars for diamond and pearl to bei love the fourth generation of pokemon. since i started with sapphire, diamond and pearl were the first new generation i was able to experience. despite the negativity within the community regarding brilliant diamond and shining pearl, i was still excited. i generally don’t care about graphics, but i thought it looked okay enough, and i would pay $100 dollars for diamond and pearl to be relevant again..

..but not like this.

on some level (a really high one because always on exp share is back), i appreciate that ILCA changed basically nothing about the games. i can’t stand the terrible pokemon story and dialogue game freak always wants to shoehorn into the games, and the only thing that really bugs me about the originals (besides wasting a move slot on defog) is the slow performance, and they certainly are more optimized on switch. i’m not really sure if that’s a compliment or more like “well duh,” but beyond that not much is different. maybe even too much.

for starters, the poketch is back and, while a little clunky to use, works well for the most part. however, it’s back down to one button for switching through apps. platinum added a back button so you didn’t have to flip through, like, thirty freaking apps just to get back to the one you accidentally skipped over. how could those drooling mobile developers nobody’s ever heard of not include such a simple and useful feature?

the games struggle to decide between a grid based and full 360* control scheme, and they suffer a little for it. never before have i described a mainline pokemon game with the phrase “this controls bad,” but here we are. it really isn’t a big problem, but it may irk you from time to time, especially when using the bicycle.

a few more quick positives! the updated soundtrack sounds quite nice. nothing is really re-imagined akin to what heartgold and soulsilver did for their base games, but diamond and pearl had great music to begin with and they’re done justice here. with Masuda in charge of the score, though, that isn’t really a surprise. the only track that’s seemingly missing is the wifi connection theme which, to me, is just tragic. also, the underground is pretty okay. it gets kinda old kinda fast, but it does allow you to capture pokemon outside of the sinnoh dex before you finish the game. now you can actually choose between more than, like, three fire types.

a few quality of life improvements really help mitigate some old annoyances. HMs are, in modern pokemon fashion, no longer a problem. you can open the map and choose where to fly, talk to rocks and trees to remove them from your reality, and even defog need only be selected in the poketch. you can access your PC box from the menu, ball capsules and mystery gift are also both in the start menu, and battle screens display type effectiveness to assist new players. i realize these improvements are subjective, but they do help the games feel a bit more modern, i suppose.

now for the big one. i can deal with all the other minor gripes, but the difficulty has been absolutely tanked. it’s that god. damn. exp share.

game freak, and now ILCA, are hellbent on making you play the game the way they think is right. you can never disable it, so every pokemon in your party gains exp from every battle (unless they’re fainted). while this does mean you can switch up your party frequently without worrying about wasting too much exp, once you have your final team they will be overleveled so quickly you just press A to win for the rest of the game. and that’s the biggest shame, because the originals could be one of the tougher games in the series, even if you used strong pokemon.

ultimately, the difficulty is where this game fails. this isn’t diamond and pearl anymore simply because you **** Cynthia without even looking at the screen. play platinum instead.
  68. Nov 30, 2021
    Graphics are mediocre. Not a fan of the chibi style. No major updates to the game, layout, style, mechanics. Feels a bit lacklustre. Literally hate the exp share being permanently on - cannot fathom why they didn’t make this optional, a simple on / off function would have saved this game for me. Now it feels like a drag to play as I am constantly trying keep my team under levelled to getGraphics are mediocre. Not a fan of the chibi style. No major updates to the game, layout, style, mechanics. Feels a bit lacklustre. Literally hate the exp share being permanently on - cannot fathom why they didn’t make this optional, a simple on / off function would have saved this game for me. Now it feels like a drag to play as I am constantly trying keep my team under levelled to get some challenge out of this. Pros are music is great, some gyms are still challenging and quite like the underground (however all the Pokemon are overlevelled and catch rate is really high depending on number of gym badges so can’t even get a lot of the good ones at present).

Overall would not rush out to buy this feels like a bit of a con.
  69. Dec 4, 2021
    These games (& Platinum) were such MASSIVE parts of my childhood that I still love Pokémon to this day, but that’s not to say they don’t try EXTREMELY hard to shake that love out of me with nearly every release this decade. These aren’t trainwrecks like Sword & Shield or LGPE, they’re quite literally the same games we played almost 20 years ago with a new coat of paint which is fine.. ButThese games (& Platinum) were such MASSIVE parts of my childhood that I still love Pokémon to this day, but that’s not to say they don’t try EXTREMELY hard to shake that love out of me with nearly every release this decade. These aren’t trainwrecks like Sword & Shield or LGPE, they’re quite literally the same games we played almost 20 years ago with a new coat of paint which is fine.. But to call these games remakes is a borderline insult, REMASTER is much more fitting but even then they really didn’t deliver in the way TPC has with the previous remakes. This is such a disappointment guys, my favorite Gen feels so.. hollow & soulless. The sad part is we all saw it coming since that abysmal reveal trailer back in February followed by a suspiciously long amount of radio silence on the game, what’s sadder is by being Gen 4 remasters they’re kinda the best Pokémon games to come out since the end of Gen 5 by default, remnants of a bygone era when TPC cared about their games. I can try to find positives.. if you liked Sinnoh then nothing changed, you’re still gonna love the region & all the Pokémon in it even though you’ll see the same ones 10 million times in the campaign. Things in Sinnoh don’t fully open up until the Post Game which is still one of the best in the series. The new OST is mostly good, a lot of hit or miss tracks thanks to a lower budget but the remixes that they got right, they KNOCKED out of the park (ex. Cynthia, Giratina, etc). Speaking of Cynthia, she’s as brutal as ever! I never had issues with her as a kid somehow (had a lot of trouble with Lucian instead) but this time she was on my NECK, I was genuinely shaking & sweating for my Pokémon’s lives. I literally can’t remember the last time I lost against an in-game trainer, it was EXHILARATING. For as heavily Pokémon uses nostalgia as a crutch for their stupid design choices, keeping everything the same here had me remembering things from playing these games in 2007 somehow! I would remember a different way to proceed through a route or a hidden item laying somewhere, all just coming to me naturally while exploring the world, I thought that was really neat. The graphics being at a smaller scale also look a lot better than they did in the sometimes hideous Sword & Shield. But for negatives we have a lot to unpack here. Firstly, this game is BUGGY as hell. It was very obviously rushed, the day 1 patch was over half the game but the level of bugginess is INEXCUSABLE from a billion dollar franchise like Pokémon. I’m talking over half the time you try to start the game from the Switch menu, you’ll get a “something went wrong” error & restart the very long wait time to get to the title screen, should I mention how many times this game has just randomly crashed in gameplay too? Despite an auto-save system, it can be wonky & not save for long stretches for some reason, leading to lost progress & anger. The chibi art style is lame too, I don’t care if that’s how it was in the original games, it was left in the past for a reason. It’s a bad sign when Cyrus is trying to destroy the universe & your immersion is shattered as it shows his tiny chibi model, expected to take any of this semi-seriously is impossible. Yes the game is still fun to play & I’d rather play it over the originals, but the general consensus around this game is that it should’ve been a PLATINUM remake, or at least have the enhancements brought by the Platinum re-release. This game is horribly unbalanced & retains so many of the asinine gameplay decisions that were weird & stupid even in 2006-7. BDSP REEKS of a lack of effort & passion, which is a blow to the gut for people like me who just watched their favorite Gen get the “who cares it’ll print money anyway” treatment that is indicative of every modern Pokémon release of the last 10 years, & I’d still defend Sun & Moon most days of the week! At this point I can’t be convinced otherwise that Pokémon is headed for a major crash, they’ll sell well regardless, but it will be tossed in with the likes of Call of Duty & other milked to the max franchises that even the developers don’t care about anymore, being crunched beyond what should be legal to deliver passionless projects year after year, & looking at Legends Arceus coming in the dump month of January… I doubt that can save it unless it completely reinvents the franchise, which we know Nintendo & TPC will probably never do until their wallets start to hurt. It’s a shame, compared to every remake we got from Pokémon before excluding LGPE, these remakes COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH MORE like ORAS was, & we shouldn’t feel bad demanding more from a franchise that is comfortable doing less than the bare minimum. This isn’t “ungrateful” behavior, these games are not gifts. They are products. We deserve better. Expand
  70. Nov 26, 2021
    Unplayable garbage. They added a blur effect that removed 50% of the screen and causes headache enduring eye strain.

Save your money.
  71. Nov 24, 2021
    Unlike most, I don't have a problem with the chibi art style, nor do I find it particularly strange when it swaps over during battle animations to more 'normal' anime sprites. This is fairly standard fare in Japanese animation, even in gaming (Link's Awakening, Animal Crossing etc. etc.) and I think the game looks pretty good overall.

As a faithful remaster (which it is, rather than a

As a faithful remaster (which it is, rather than a remake in many ways), Brilliant Diamond is largely fine. Takes basically no risks, it's just the original with a coat of paint on. However, there are several glaring problems with it.

First is the decision not to use Pokémon Platinum as the basis for this remaster - this was done for greed so they could release two versions in Diamond/Pearl instead of one, but Platinum is a series highpoint; arguably it's their greatest ever title, so to see it ignored is irritating.

From a series veteran perspective, the second major drawback is just how much a fairly simple game in the first instance has been mechanically dumbed down. Specifically, the Experience Share system. This means every Pokémon in your party gains experience from every battle, even if they're not used. Which as an ease of use feature for younger players or those new to the series it would be fine... but it can't be turned off. At all. So if you play this 'normally', you'll be incredibly overlevelled, and you can wave goodbye to things like EV training with more than one Pokémon in your party.

So it's just too easy throughout, and that kills the title for me. It's not a terrible game, but nor is it a masterpiece - in fact, it's bang average, hence the score. I hope Arceus is better than it, or at least more ambitious... and has a toggle switch for any Exp Share!
  72. Nov 27, 2021
    Bad remake with lazy Graphic.
    Gold digger with no Platinum Remake.
    Disappointed
  73. Nov 26, 2021
    Much money for bugs, bad design and old content.
    Without the old games, this game was crab.
    It’s only living, because the old games are grateful
  74. Nov 26, 2021
    Terrible game that contains more glitches and bugs than new content or improvements. The awful graphics graphics look like they belong on an old graphing calculator and not a console.
  75. Nov 24, 2021
    I thought this one may have oras or let's go level of new, but NO, it doesn't even have the bare minimum of freshness. for those saying why you wouldn't like this game if you have played original, that's precisely because you don't have anything new compare to that sensation you had 15 years ago. if you're going to remaster a 15 year old pokemon game in 2021, you better have SOMETHING toI thought this one may have oras or let's go level of new, but NO, it doesn't even have the bare minimum of freshness. for those saying why you wouldn't like this game if you have played original, that's precisely because you don't have anything new compare to that sensation you had 15 years ago. if you're going to remaster a 15 year old pokemon game in 2021, you better have SOMETHING to make it up in terms of content if new pokemon or region wouldn't be a thing. let's make a comparison: what did oras gave us for its remake? new megas, new legendary forms, additional story, and a new online meta. what did this gave us? none, story barely changed or added, nothing new. not even a new legendary form which I hoped for when I saw the statue of fused form of dialga palkia. oh I'm sorry, remaster and remake is 2 separate thing so comparing this to oras is unfair? I. DON'T. CARE. if you have the audacity to put a remaster on a full price, then you must have a reason for that because all non nintendo remasters are never on a full price. even xenoblade chronicle on switch had good amount of features or update from the original and made the price little more convincing. this though? no dex from unova to galar, no competitive online, no battle frontier with little to no new features.

don't get me started on battle. why is the game trending on giving exp to all party member? even when all trainers have vgc level of ai, moveset, item, natures and even evs, they're nothing if you know how typing works. we had something like this on sun moon, and they were tough because you got bunch of unfamiliar pokemon with completely new gimmick. admittedly the trainers weren't that big of a hassle, but the totem pokemon made up the difficulty even with the current exp share. and just as I said, if the ante up is only coming from a trainer, they're the least amount of trouble you should worry about, and that's the only thing for this game. needless to say, the original dpp and bw were challenging because the exp share wasn't the way it is.

oh and poketch. yeah that one is a real clunky one to use now that there's only 1 screen, dowsing and counter is unusable. then again, who cares about those, right?

if you're going to talk about underground, that's the only thing I can praise about. even with that though, this is practically the bare minimum of content or new feature you should have like the hideaway.

contest, why do I care. I never liked spending time on this during dpp or rse because it doesn't reward you anything (unless if you had feebas but lets be real you never had one at the time). if the prize is like the 3 starters (instead of making them appear on hideaway), then you have some incentive to win it. only some stickers and ribbons though? no, not all of us are collectors and thus this is one of the weaker content to bring up.

I can complain thing or two about graphics and bugs, but honestly that doesn't apply to everyone so I only mentioned the bigger picture that everyone would encounter.
  76. Nov 26, 2021
    Mejoran los grafico. Pero para ser una copia al 99% de los originales y que no incluye las nuevas mecánica que se han agregado en las últimas generaciones ,siento que es un robo y el predio debió ser menor.
  77. Nov 24, 2021
    This Game had good Moments but i don't know somehow i was bored a lot. I never played Gen 4 and was curious because some Peoble called it the best Generation ever. After playing it: Not even close to Gen 2.
  78. Nov 24, 2021
    A Toddler could beat this game with closed eyes, played it once now, then uninstalled. Sad life, nintendo must think their users are brainless zombies.
  79. Nov 24, 2021
    Quick reminder that this is the largest media property in the entire world. How are they expecting us to accept a "remake" that is actually worse than the original game in almost every aspect? And for 60 USD? The developers should be ashamed of delivering that mess and the fans should feel ashamed of defending this scam.
  80. Nov 24, 2021
    I'm just going to be up front here when I say this; this game does nothing new. There is almost zero attempt at actually being better than the originals. Hell, even some content from Platinum is cut entirely when it would've benefitted the game heavily. The game is an absolute breeze to go through, even when up against endgame foes. This is because of two reasons:
    A) The EXP Share is
    A) The EXP Share is constantly on, thus meaning with just one party you can easily level your Pokemon to the point where they could defeat any opponent.
    B) If you have save data from Sword and Shield, you can get a Jirachi (an actual Mythical Pokemon) around the first few towns. The same applies for Mew.
    Meanwhile, the games keep negative features from the originals. Cyrus isn't even referred to by his real name, he's called "Boss" like in Diamond and Pearl. TMs are back to being temporary and one-use, a feature which everyone despised.
    The one positive change I can note is the decision to do something similar to Sun and Moon where HMs are restricted to Pokemon that you don't need to waste HMs on.
    All around, I wish it was something similar to Heart Gold/Soul Silver where the game keeps everything from Crystal, while still adding new things in as well.
  81. Nov 28, 2021
    This is literally a disaster. I cannot believe they have done this low-quality remaster witch is not comparable with other remake series. I admit that they have done a certain level of work, witch may satisfy some of people. However, it still can't be qualified for official remake series with such an expensive full-price. The level of satisfaction of this game is very similar to originalThis is literally a disaster. I cannot believe they have done this low-quality remaster witch is not comparable with other remake series. I admit that they have done a certain level of work, witch may satisfy some of people. However, it still can't be qualified for official remake series with such an expensive full-price. The level of satisfaction of this game is very similar to original diamond and pearl so that this is not valuable as a remake. Expand
  82. Nov 25, 2021
    An extremely low-effort remake. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary but this is very poor. Also, it is absurdly easy. Just by following the most direct route to the next gym, you will massively out-level the gym by the time you get there. I think the new exp share system is part of the problem as it completely trivializes training your team. No longer do you need to try and useAn extremely low-effort remake. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary but this is very poor. Also, it is absurdly easy. Just by following the most direct route to the next gym, you will massively out-level the gym by the time you get there. I think the new exp share system is part of the problem as it completely trivializes training your team. No longer do you need to try and use pokemon that are type-weak against certain opponents to train them, you can complete the entire game with one strong pokemon and your whole team will just passively level. That system combined with the over-tuned exp games mean that the game basically plays itself. Pokemon games were never 'hard' but this is now easy to the point where it is too easy for my 5 year old nephew. Expand
  83. Nov 24, 2021
    One point for the new graphics. The remake has no a sincerity, I’m even missing ORAS on 3ds. It hardly has any new contents being a new game in 2021 selling for 60$. All I want now is a National Pokédex, I have even put away my wild wish for the return of mega evolution.
  84. Nov 24, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't waste your money on this. I was never a fan of Pokémon going 3D, but I told myself the 3DS was holding it back. So how do these games look worse than Sun/Moon? The chibi artstyle on the overworld might be faithful to the originals, but it doesn't look that good. The entire game has no character, compared to the DS originals which, while being limited to being almost entirely 2D, where extremely charming. Compared to other 3D Pokémon games, the problem is probably best summed up as, the colors just don't pop. The games look very flat, compared to even the 3DS games. The games are laughably easy. They included every new thing that made the last games easier (EXP share for the entire team always on, Pokemon critting more often and surviving hits that should have KOed them if the friendship is high enough) and then decreased levels compared to the originals? The only exception is Cynthia which ramps the difficulty up to 11 with a competitive team. The story is a carbon copy of the originals with no notable changes. Post-game is non-existent and every change Platinum made is also cut completely. What did they improve? The new underground is a very nice addition, as well as the removal of HM's. Don't get me wrong you will have fun playing these games, but only because the originals where good games and you know what Platinum was better in every way. It feels like Gamefreak doesn't know what we like about Pokémon or what the fans want. They copy pasted the originals, made them 3D, made them easier and called it a day. They couldn't even be asked to include any Pokémon that weren't in the originals, even though the 3D aspect should make that an almost trivial task, by just doing what they did for the entire game, CTRL+C -> CTRL+V. No new features like Mega-Evolution, Z-Moves or even Dynamax are here. Additionally the games are already so bugged, that glitches similar to the original DS games where discovered. While these generally don't happen during a normal playthrough, they show a lack of polish. TLDR play a patched version of Platinum that removes some of the kinks or even just the vanilla version and you will have a better experience. If we call out EA for copy pasting the same game every year I. The Fifa series, Gamefreak shouldn't get any other treatment for doing the same, even if the games are 15 years old at this point. Expand
  85. Nov 22, 2021
    yo, I really liked this. I know it's not shiny like nu pokemon, but I don't like nu pokemon. I'm docking points for sure for not including platinum content, because they have no excuse. But even not being a huge fan of diamond and pearl I consider this game way better than sun/moon/sword/shield/x/y, because it a lot less linear and feels way more like a pokemon adventure used to back inyo, I really liked this. I know it's not shiny like nu pokemon, but I don't like nu pokemon. I'm docking points for sure for not including platinum content, because they have no excuse. But even not being a huge fan of diamond and pearl I consider this game way better than sun/moon/sword/shield/x/y, because it a lot less linear and feels way more like a pokemon adventure used to back in the day. And honestly for people who don't feel that way about pokemon too, like the new stuff is just too far off, you might not like this. Expand
  86. Nov 30, 2021
    - Horrible art-style. Using the smol meme doesn't get rid of the fact that the entire game looks ugly.

- Claims to be a faithful remake, but has unfaithful additions/changes like Fairy type, forced team EXP-share, reworked underground/contests, etc. Shills have been bootlicking and using the "fAiThFuL rEmAkE" excuse to downplay the mediocrity and laziness of this cashgrab, which is just embarrassing.

- Since this is apparently a "fAiThFuL rEmAkE", there are no additions from Platinum. Why bother putting effort when bootlickers will just buy anything with pokeymanzz labelled on it.
  87. Nov 28, 2021
    Pros: TMs are gained in gym rematch battle
    Pkmn follow are back

Cons:
    HM use animation (bidoof and staraptor)
    Leader and Elite’s team are based in DP
  88. Dec 1, 2021
    I had been waiting for over 10 years for a 4th gen remake. I always told to myself ''when 4th gen remakes release, i will buy them, no doubt.''. You can't imagine the disappointment i felt when i first saw the trailer of these 2 new games, it was like wanting something so badly and getting it taken out from you when you could almost touch it. I obviously got the games, but that only madeI had been waiting for over 10 years for a 4th gen remake. I always told to myself ''when 4th gen remakes release, i will buy them, no doubt.''. You can't imagine the disappointment i felt when i first saw the trailer of these 2 new games, it was like wanting something so badly and getting it taken out from you when you could almost touch it. I obviously got the games, but that only made my disappointment even worse. I honestly expected a true remake, one in which they use all the new technology used on the most recent pokemon games (in this case Let's go P/E or Sw/Sh) to make an ''old'' game feel like a new ''actual'' experience and a true ''revisit'' of the region the games are settled in, like taking a new and modern perspective of those games.
    Sadly that didn't happen this time around, i just wanted to point out the lack of innovation in this games. It is sad that at this point I think that it is better to play platinum than this games, because it has way more content (we are talking about a 10+ year old game) since there is literally more diferences between platinum and the original diamond and pearl than BD/SP and the original diamond and pearl.

Hope Arceus doesn't disappoint..
  89. Dec 1, 2021
    The only Pokémon game in 20 years that I had to return. Lazy in every way.
  90. Nov 22, 2021
    Fantastic game. Faithful remake of the classics. What more could you ask for? Very good visuals very reminiscent of the ds era.
  91. Nov 22, 2021
    Este sin duda es el mejor remake de Pokémon que se haya hecho y como siempre he deseado que la saga los hiciera
    Completamente fieles al material original y como una versión amplificada de la experiencia, y no como una deformación o siendo la region actual con otra skin, desborda contenido nuevo que no se entromete con la fidelidad, y arregla todos los errores de Diamante y Perla
    Se lo
    Se lo recomiendo a cualquiera que tenga la oportunidad de adquirirlo.
  92. Nov 23, 2021
    The game is great. I love the art style and the music. The fights are on-par with the old game in terms of difficulty, and there's a few QOL changes like not needing a HM slave anymore. Although the game has a few minor shortcomings like all TMs are limited again. I would recommend this to anyone who want to enjoy the sinnoh region again.
  93. Nov 26, 2021
    Overall this was less than it should have been. Every remake up to this point has at least added something new and interesting. This one does not, and leaves out a fair amount of content too for some reason. While Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were heavily criticized for leaving out battle frontier, it at least added tons of amazing new things, including a brand new post game story line. TheseOverall this was less than it should have been. Every remake up to this point has at least added something new and interesting. This one does not, and leaves out a fair amount of content too for some reason. While Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were heavily criticized for leaving out battle frontier, it at least added tons of amazing new things, including a brand new post game story line. These games left out way too much. The art direction is also a massive letdown and looks worse than every 3DS title. It is very jarring going from this soft and sterile overworld to the fully realized art style in actual battles.

What they did well was speeding things up, faster movement, health bars drain faster etc. The underground having a little bit of new content was nice, but its nothing that big.

There is a lot I could say, but overall, I would suggest to anyone not interested in competitive pokemon skip this title, and even then it is a hard sell at $60 for a game with a value of $40 that doesn't live up to its own heritage.

Overall, it will sell amazingly, so it doesn't matter, but just save your money and if you want competitive, find some other outlet. If you want a good pokemon game, look to titles from the 3DS and earlier. a 3DS is at the time of writing quite affordable still, and the 3DS games are still mostly not overpriced, so get it while you can.

I wish these remakes had soul, but they simply do not. If we ever get a real pokemon game again I will be surprised, but for now, just play if you want to. Its just not something I think has good appeal or value. Maybe if they add in some real QoL that other Jrpgs have had for a decade at this point, and push for more content and restoring the ability to catch and own all the pokemon again, then we can start to talk about a 5/10 game at least.
  94. Nov 24, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es igual a un animal crossing de hace 2 generaciones, un ascovídeo y una estafa acargo de gente inoperante eh irresponsable que no sólo hizo un trabajo mediocre sinó que también filtró el juego antes de su salida... Expand
  95. Nov 25, 2021
    Finished it in 12 hours, even nuzlocked it, the game is very lazy and even blatantly shortcut-able/skippable, it doesn't even compare to diamond on DS and shouldn't be seen as an 'entry point' in any way. 3/10 for me. (PS. The flying pokémon in this game (mid-battle) are idling at a height so stupidly high (see Alteria, u can't even see her face). It's shockingly bad quality control andFinished it in 12 hours, even nuzlocked it, the game is very lazy and even blatantly shortcut-able/skippable, it doesn't even compare to diamond on DS and shouldn't be seen as an 'entry point' in any way. 3/10 for me. (PS. The flying pokémon in this game (mid-battle) are idling at a height so stupidly high (see Alteria, u can't even see her face). It's shockingly bad quality control and shows once again that Pokémon company doesn't give love to this series of games like it used to, but shoves a 60 dollar price tag game with bad QC.. Bug testing wasn't done properly, found 18 repeatable bugs in my 12 hours run. Late game is boring cuz of the national park has all the legendaries and u just have to paste some stones in and catch them. Not worth doing. Disappointment across the board for me what should've been a staple cornerstone of the switch console. User reviewed by someone who has played all pokémon games to date. Expand
  96. Nov 24, 2021
    As a big fan of the original game i did't expect to be so disappointed by a something that i've played for hundreds of hours, but here i am, this remake is an effortless 3d update that Nintendo sold at full price whitout anything that could possibly justify this waste of money. Unfortunately they also decreased the game's difficulty as they did for all the new chapters, i'm not a big fanAs a big fan of the original game i did't expect to be so disappointed by a something that i've played for hundreds of hours, but here i am, this remake is an effortless 3d update that Nintendo sold at full price whitout anything that could possibly justify this waste of money. Unfortunately they also decreased the game's difficulty as they did for all the new chapters, i'm not a big fan of jrpgs, but still i had an easy tour the force through the game whitout the minimal challenge, i also tried to keep my team at a lower level than the enemies but It did't work so much, the game was still too easy and i was even more annoyed by the fact that i had to try so hard to keep having fun. I also had an hard time to accept the decision they made by making all the characters look like f***g funko pops, so all the philosophical dialogues i had with Cyrus became weird due to the fact that i had to take It seriuosly to talk about that with a collectable toy, obviously this is a more personal side, but i think a lot of people would agree with this statement. The only thing that i appreciated about this game was the little upgrade they did to the underground, but still i had to stay away from it beacuse i did't want to level up my squad. Expand
  97. Nov 25, 2021
    This is a classic pokemon game with new mechanics that makes it worse. If you skip every trainer in your path you will still be 10 levels over your opponents. Just smash your head on your pad and you'll complete the game easily. Just play pokemon emerald, more content post game, less easy, simply a better game!
  98. Nov 28, 2021
    Wanted Shin Megami Tensei V but was SOL, so I picked this game up instead since my sister also wanted to play it and we could share the game.

The art work is HORRENDOUS. Whoever thought chibi characters where a good idea should've been fired. The game holds your hand WAY to much, and each enemy attack is pretty much predictable to the point you use maybe 1 or 2 moves per Pokemon. Hitting enemy weaknesses isn't as rewarding/satisfying as they are in Shin Megami Tensei because while they do slightly more damage they only do that, slightly more damage.

You can, quite literally, complete this game with just your starter. Pitiful.

The online portion of the game is absolute garbage. In the middle of an online battle? Well now your not because in 2099 you could have terabit internet and the game would still drop your connection to your opponent like a freaking hot potato. My sister can have this game since she wants to play it... I'm never buying a Pokémon game again, and I'm gonna stick to Shin Megami Tensei
  99. Dec 3, 2021
    This game has huge issues.
    1. Content: The game locks content present in the original game behind a paywall in form of the GWS that you have to use GameFreak's subscription service Pokémon Home for(+Nintendo Switch Online for a total of $40/year).
    This game has huge issues.

2. Far too slow: A Trainer's or wild Pokémon's introduction before battle takes about ten seconds. Every textbox in battle stops you for a whole second before you can proceed and literally every little change gets a textbox, some even get repeated (like when you use rain dance, or confuse an opponent).
    This, coupled with a way too low difficulty curve made me dread running into opponents.

3. Difficulty: The game is so easy that I was always two levels ahead of trainers I used to be two levels under in the original, because you can't turn off the EXP-Share. I often started mashing A and looking on my phone, also because the game's so slow.
    But worst of all, it is so easy that you stop giving a sh*t about your own Pokémon and their attacks because the only thing that matters is the A-button.
  100. Dec 1, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. tl:dr Pokemon BD failed to give you a reason to play their remake instead of going back to your Nintendo DS. Every remake achieved this, but this time they failed to validate it. You aren't missing much.

Excited at it's first reveal, I was optimistic about the team behind it and how they were taking it. However as the months went by, reality comes knocking my door. Outside Legends of Arceus, this will be the only time you will get to explore sinnoh again for a long time. Besides the questionable gameplay changes and other issues, the remake does the acceptable job of releasing Sinnoh to the Switch. But it's underwhelming for one of the longest and anticipated remakes, in comparison to how Pokemon Company handled their previous remakes. Traditionally, a pokemon remake is done with current technology in mind of it's recreation to show how hardware progressed and what it would've looked like if it were made at that time instead. You saw this with HeartGold / SoulSilver and FireRed/LeafGreen. BDSP misses that mark by not taking advantage of it's hardware and did not add much new additions to this remake. The soundtrack wasn't done much justice, did not take full advantage of Platinum improvements, and the legendary park is cool to a degree till you realize you could already do this in many of their previous games. Platinum DLC is off the table too as you can unlock the alt form in the game, it's also hard to call this a faithful remake when there's things they've forgotten, failed to capture the same atmosphere or color palette, or just changed something for no good reason.

BD/SP works to introduce new players to the region of Sinnoh, but to people who played it when they were younger, they will be underwhelmed. Is it a terrible pokemon game? No, but it failed to meet expectations and it's not like they didn't know as they've been aware of how much people wanted this for a long time.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 73 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 3, 2021
    In the end, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are remakes which are bound to pass without impact. They do a fine job at bringing the fourth generation of Pokémon into a new era, but fall short when it comes to being the definitive version of Sinnoh. It's fine that it's a faithful recreation, but I wish ILCA had gone the extra mile by daring to add things we saw in Platinum. After all, it's not a good thing that a remake leave us yearning for things that a 2009 game did.
  2. Dec 3, 2021
    A new graphical style, the expansion of the Grand Underground and some quality-of-life adjustments cannot disguise the lack of ambition with this remake. This turns Shining Pearl and Brilliant Diamond into viewing boxes that show that Pokémon was a great game series even in 2006, but that we have moved on since then.
  3. Dec 2, 2021
    Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are good remakes of good games. The changes implemented are small yet effective, however, there’s a lingering sense throughout the experience that this all could have been so much more.