8.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Dec 15, 2019
    Ok I got a new favorite game. This game is so brilliantly designed. The graphics are beautiful and involving despite being made looking like 80’s PCs monitora and pixelated.

The story that unfolds is magical and involving. The thrill and challenge of discovering what happened.

Lucas Pope deserves an award.
  2. Mar 23, 2020
    One of my favorite games that i will recommend to everyone. It gives you a sense of accomplishment whenever you solve a death. Only gave it a 9 because of the lack of replayability. Great game nonetheless
  3. Jun 3, 2020
    Hands down best detective game ever! Mr Pope trul has the Midas's touch giving us this game on the heels of papers please. It achieves what none has before making the player invested in not just 1 or 2 but 60 people's lives and deaths. What a terrible fate befell the Obra Dinn? Whats that flickering shine in the sea close to it? Find out in this absolute gem of an experience !
  4. Jun 23, 2020
    I enjoyed this game for its detective sudoku mechanics as well as its exploration of settler colonialism bringing out the worst in (white) people, though more could have been done with this. I'd love to see other games by Lucas Pope on the Switch (Papers Please please).
  5. Nov 5, 2020
    Obra Dinn is one unique game.

Started out fun but got confusing as it went on.

Thought it might get easier to get names of people as the game progressed but the game went on and more and more people was left nameless.
  6. Feb 21, 2021
    Absolutely incredible. Many will say that this game isn't replayable because once you complete it once there is nothing else to uncover. While this is true on a surface level, and many of the best moments in this game come from your initial introduction to many of its concepts and plot points, there is a much deeper enjoyment to be found in the details. This game is replayable in the sameAbsolutely incredible. Many will say that this game isn't replayable because once you complete it once there is nothing else to uncover. While this is true on a surface level, and many of the best moments in this game come from your initial introduction to many of its concepts and plot points, there is a much deeper enjoyment to be found in the details. This game is replayable in the same way a good movie is rewatchable, finding new details and connections everytime you come back to it. It is easily one of the most immersive games on the Switch, as well as one of the most beautiful due to its unique style. I finished my first playthrough a few days ago, and find myself wishing to return to it while playing other more "replayable" games. It is a breath of fresh air in gaming and I cannot wait to see what comes next from Lucas Pope. Expand
  7. Nov 10, 2021
    When a merchant ship known as The Obra Dinn reappears off the coast of England having been missing for five years, an insurance inspector from the East India Company is tasked with figuring out how each of the ships 60 crew perished. has reappeared off the coast of England with no one alive aboard. To aid in the investigation the player is able to use the "Memento Mortem", a pocket watchWhen a merchant ship known as The Obra Dinn reappears off the coast of England having been missing for five years, an insurance inspector from the East India Company is tasked with figuring out how each of the ships 60 crew perished. has reappeared off the coast of England with no one alive aboard. To aid in the investigation the player is able to use the "Memento Mortem", a pocket watch capable of transporting its user to the moment of death of any corpse located.

With it’s stunning retro graphical style is great and unique puzzle lead gameplay, there is so much to admire about this game, especially since it is essentially the work of just one man (Lucas Pope, who also created the excellent Papers Please). Unfortunately I also often found it a lesson in frustration on many occasions, as while some of the identities and deaths can be deduced logical, there are a good number that are far too obtuse and it’s all too easy to get completely stuck.

There are without doubt people that will rate this amongst their favourite games of all time, but for me personally the frustrations eventually prevented from fully enjoying the game.
  8. Jan 12, 2021
    Serious old school Myst vibes. The music is incredible. This and Outer Wilds are the successors to the adventure genre.

I brute forced some of the solutions at the end, but that was because I was being impatient.
  9. Sep 26, 2021
    The only thing I didn't like about Obra Dinn was when it was over with... I could play 100 games like this one and still be hungry for more.
  10. May 25, 2020
    Más allá de un par de fallos perdonables (el estilo gráfico es tan marcado que o lo odias o lo amas, la interfaz es un poco confusa a veces) el desarrollo de la historia y la forma de interactuar con los diferentes cortes de tiempo es muy buena. Muy inmersivo y adictivo, recomendable jugar con bloc de notas o papel, para ir anotando detalles.
  11. Oct 27, 2020
    Return of the Obra Dinn is a unique and compelling puzzle game with strong visual appeal thanks to its two-tone art style, as well as a great soundtrack.

You play as an insurance inspector sent to figure out the fates and identities of the 60 souls that travelled aboard the Obra Dinn, a ship that suddenly reappears after several years missing without a single member of its crew. It's basically a detective game where you gradually piece together the story in a non-linear fashion, figuring out what exactly happened to each crew member by using a pocket watch that lets you see the last moment of someone's life.

The game is reasonably difficult without being exceedingly so, as you're told each time you get three fates correct which keeps you on the right track. There are specific ways to work everything out, but personally I had to guess and assume quite a few things which maybe wasn't as satisfying as doing things the 'proper' way, but it got the job done. Again though, there are ways to deduce everyone's identity and cause of death if you look and listen hard enough, which is of course a good thing.

Return of the Obra Dinn is a game which looks and sounds great. In motion especially, the art style really pops. The visuals suit the mystery and tone presented in the game, as does the music. The music is damn good and just fits every moment perfectly, and the sound design in general is top notch.

One thing I do wish was more fleshed out is the overarching narrative. The individual moments you witness are interesting but I was expecting more from the ending. This is a really clever game so I was sort of hoping for some grand revelation or a twist that just didn't come. Instead, the conclusion is a little abrupt and feels lacking in my opinion.

Still, this is a genuinely impressive game that stands out in numerous ways. It's impressive because of how it manages to do something new and because it was all developed by just one guy, Lucas Pope. I enjoyed the game, and although I wasn't that happy with how it was tied up, I was engaged throughout my 8 hour playtime. This is a game that demands your attention, and it's one that deserves it.

This is a great indie title and one that's easy to recommend. It's something refreshing and different, and something well worth experiencing for yourself.
  12. Jan 7, 2021
    This game is very well made. The mystery is both well written and well executed as you go around trying to make sense of who died and from what.

This is a very good puzzle game that I would suggest to many puzzle lovers. And those who like unraverling a big mystery. The only downside I would say is that the music get a bit repetitive and at times felt a bit to loud, especially when

The only downside I would say is that the music get a bit repetitive and at times felt a bit to loud, especially when you choose to jump into a memory.

The voiceacting is so good and the story is just so intriguing.

The major downside to this game is that I felt there werent enough content for me to come back for a second try.
  13. Aug 10, 2020
    O que mais me impressionou no jogo foi a história, muito interessante e combina com o visual mesmo, super recomendo para quem tem Switch.
  14. Feb 22, 2021
    This game has excellent writing, unique puzzling gameplay beyond that of even Portal 2, and a graphics style that is both innovative and thematically fitting. Simply put this is a masterpiece of gaming.
  15. Oct 21, 2021
    ROTOD is surprisingly good. I was blown away at how good the graphics can be with only 2 colors. The characters all have unique faces, and voice-actors, giving the game a very fleshed-out story that really draws you in. You'll get pulled in to the complex story and it's a great game to play when you have some time to invest.

Graphics: 8
    Gameplay: 10
    Audio: 9
    Story: 10
  16. Jul 8, 2022
    Return of The Obra Dinn is hands down the most innovative, compelling, and artistically accomplished game that I’ve played in years. I would almost go as far as saying that it’s in my top three games of all time.

From the first few moments the game grabs and doesn’t let go. It’s one of these experiences that go far beyond the boundaries of what is generally considered a game, while still not crossing the line into a territory so far out of that it becomes abstract or boring. This is very important to me: It’s a game that doesn’t forget to be a game, offers a simple and rewarding loop based on a solid idea. The game mechanics borrow to genres like the point and click adventure and the exploration based puzzle, around a theme that won’t be unfamiliar to fans of classic horror (Poe, Lovecraft), victorian murder mystery, and adventure at sea. And yet trying to put a label on Return of the Obra Dinn would be too reductive. It’s like all great ideas both obvious and difficult to put into words.

As for the art, it exudes character and sophistication, and manages to tap into my favorite 1-bit macintosh classics from the eighties with a decidely modern spin. Sound, art, and gameplay gel with perfection to form an engaging and cohesive world, which is the mark of true videogame classics. And if that wasn’t impressive enough, this is the lavor of love of one man, Lucas Pope, who already treaded outside the beaten path with great success in “Papers, Please”, and signs here his most formidable accomplishment to date.

I can’t recommend this game enough, regardless of your prefered genre, if anything to experiment what videogame can aspire to as an art form that knows how to stay fun, accessible and true to itself, without pretense, but absolute confidence.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 11, 2019
    Despite some minor control issues on consoles, Return of the Obra Dinn remains possibly the most successful detective game ever made.
  2. Nov 11, 2019
    Return of the Obra Dinn is without a doubt a thinking man/woman's piece of crumpet. It is someone that you can take out on a date and have a riveting conversation with, but then scratch your head about some of the things they've said afterwards. There's not a lot of replay value here and a lot of the fun is over whence all discoveries have been made and confirmed. That said, it is a, mostly, to-the-point adventure, and it is because of this focus that Return of the Obra Dinn works so well. It's certainly not going to be for everyone, and may even sound boring to some, but as long as there's no expectation for split second thrills (beyond that of what is depicted in the memories, which can be thrilling), you will find an excellent puzzle experience with a more than shipshape presentation.
  3. Nov 8, 2019
    On consoles this whodunnit adventure has its flaws, but in its best moments this is an intense, clever constructed as well as challenging experience.