7.6

1. Sep 20, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island perfectly captures the atmosphere, soundtrack and humor of the old games, and elevates the technical aspect to modern times. Sure, the graphic style is definitely a matter of taste, but it just works great at what it does. Thanks for bringing the series back after all these years!
  2. Sep 25, 2022
    In what seems like an effort to make the game more accessible (aka playable on phones and tablets) they basically ruined the game by eliminating any element of challenge. Now it's just clicking on different things on the screen to advance. Game is written like it's for kids, but also so chalk full of references to previous games, you really wonder who it was made for. Really dissapointing.In what seems like an effort to make the game more accessible (aka playable on phones and tablets) they basically ruined the game by eliminating any element of challenge. Now it's just clicking on different things on the screen to advance. Game is written like it's for kids, but also so chalk full of references to previous games, you really wonder who it was made for. Really dissapointing. The art style isn't great but that's the least of your worries. I wasn't a huge fan of MI4 (Monkey Kombat) or tales but I was able to finish them. This game I couldn't play longer than 30 minutes, it was too dissapointing. Worst in the series by far. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2022
    This is not a pixel-art Monkey Island, this is not the 90s anymore but this is pure Monkey Island essence to the core. It's feels good to have it back and to be as good as it was then. No matter how hard the haters try.
  4. Sep 20, 2022
    The game brings back the first-class point and click adventures! Many thanks to the entire development team!
  5. Sep 20, 2022
    It's not so much the laziness, bad art direction and shortness of the game that make it bad. It's because The Curse of Monkey Island was a billion times better than the 'return'. You can't compare.
  6. Sep 20, 2022
    The announcement of a new Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert was the best news in the last 30 years.

Then the trailer came, and I knew they screwed up. The art style is terrible, it's a flash mobile game with terrible animations. This is how you ruin a legendary series. It's so sad.
  7. Sep 21, 2022
    This game is fantastic and brings back that beloved Monkey Island Spirit from back in the days. It looks fantastic, has a great sound and atmosphere, the voice-acting with many of the former actors is as perfect than the story and the puzzle-design. What a great job from the LA veterans like Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, David Fox, Michael Land and many more ... thx a lot for this new gem inThis game is fantastic and brings back that beloved Monkey Island Spirit from back in the days. It looks fantastic, has a great sound and atmosphere, the voice-acting with many of the former actors is as perfect than the story and the puzzle-design. What a great job from the LA veterans like Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, David Fox, Michael Land and many more ... thx a lot for this new gem in the Monkey Island History!

And yes, the grafic style for sure is a matter of taste! For me it`s the perfect hommage on the old pixel art with a modern touch. If you don`t like it, no problem ... but if you give this game 0 Points because of that i cannot take you serious, sorry!
  8. Sep 20, 2022
    To set expectations, if you were hoping this game would explain the cliffhanger in Tales of Monkey Island you will be disappointed.

It flows directly from the end of Lechuck's Revenge and while it didn't completely throw out the stories of everything after Monkey Island 2 they play little to no impact in the events of this game. The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times

The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times in the first Act but definitely feels more at home in the subsequent ones.

The puzzles overall are good, though even on the "hard mode" they're generally not too complicated.

My main complaint of the game is one you see in quite a few puzzle games these days, backtracking to previous areas over multiple acts (with one specific area needing 3 different visits over 3 acts).
  9. Sep 22, 2022
    i feel i've been waiting 30 years for this game, and it is just as good if not better than i expected, the witing as usual for the series is the absolute best, the soundtrack hits just right, the new art style is lovely, i wish they would remake MI 1 & 2 with this style.
  10. Sep 21, 2022
    Le daría un 10 de no ser por el apartado Artístico, en especial el diseño de personajes...(en especial al de Guybrush), fuera de eso, un juego excelente que me lleva de nuevo a la mejor aventura gráfica de todos los tiempos.
  11. Sep 23, 2022
    Good-
    Clever, funny writing; A riotously engaging story with an excellent cast of characters; Strikes the perfect balance between nostalgia and being a modern game; Smart quality-of-life additions; Challenging, satisfying puzzles; Looks gorgeous; Excellent soundtrack.
    Bad- Some puzzle repetition; Backtracking can be occasionally annoying. Thoughts- Given how easy it was for Return
    Good-

Bad-
    Some puzzle repetition; Backtracking can be occasionally annoying.

Thoughts-
    Given how easy it was for Return to Monkey Island to go disastrously wrong, it would very honestly be tempting to call it nothing short of a miracle that it is as amazing as it is- but honestly, that would be doing a disservice to Ron Gilbert and the team he’s assembled, and the incredible work and passion they’ve put on display here. They have all come together to deliver what mostly felt truly impossible at this point in time: a true, new, modern Monkey Island game, one that is so convincing at recreating the heights of the series’ heyday, it feels like that heyday never ended.
  12. Sep 22, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow what a great Monkey Island game this is.. Great story, great art style (don't know why people are complaining about the art style), but this art style in my opinion is brilliant. Is funny and charming and in my opinion is in the top 3 monkey island games. The only downside i see on it, at least for this version, is that its not on keyboard and mouse. But its the only way i can play it and not complaining. So yeh thumbs up from me. Another thing i should add is, they should have had a physical copy with a booklet or something. Expand
  13. Sep 21, 2022
    A welcome return to point and click adventuring at its finest. Terrible Toybox hit it out of the park! This game is a delight for both newcomers to the series, as well as longtime fans.
  14. Sep 20, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I grew up playing LucasArts point-and-click. My childhood is full of fond memories of Space Quest, Maniac Mansion, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Loom and, of course, Monkey Island. I've played all of them. Monkey Island is easily one of my favourites.

First, the much discussed art style. You're either going to love it or hate it. Personally, I love it. It's refreshing and fun. I really don't get why people are so bothered by it. It feels like a modern evolution of the original art style.
    The story is also a lot of fun. I enjoyed the whole flashback thing.

There's plenty of nostalgic throwback here. It's great to go back to Monkey Island and see the locations and characters I so fondly remember. There's plenty of funny in the game. It's the same Monkey Island humour I remember.
    I would have liked it if the puzzles were a little harder. There's still plenty fun to be had running around and figuring it out. But then I'm not sure if they're easier than I expected or if I found them easier because I've played so many of them.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of hate directed at this game. But that's just because some people cling so tightly to their fandoms that any deviation must be loathed. Most of those negatives will come from people who have only seen the trailers and gameplay videos. The rest will come from those who go into the game, determined to dislike it.

As another review says. It's not the 90s. Things change. They've managed to update a classic game, make it feel updated but still hold onto the nostalgia. It really is the essence of Monkey Island. It's the best of 90s point-and-click for 2022. So ignore the haters who will judge the game without playing it. Ignore those who can't accept change.
  15. Sep 21, 2022
    It is so sad to see my beloved Monkey Island become a mobile game. The art style is so bad it's unbelievable... what were they thinking? Cheap, lazy flash animation and horrible art direction... This is a disgrace.
  16. Sep 23, 2022
    The Switch port is extremely polished and looks just damn great. The interface is intuitive and has large icons and large fonts, it loads blazingly fast and yeah, this is currently the best point'n'click for Switch.
  17. Sep 23, 2022
    Un juego que captura la nostalgia y el amor a toda la saga, con un humor genial y buenos puzzles un regalo para todos los que jugamos toda la saga
  18. Sep 24, 2022
    A great comeback of a classic series! Funny, cleaver and playable! I was awaiting game like that for a long time
  19. Sep 22, 2022
    From someone who had played all of the monkey islands and the first one at least 8 times, I absolutely love this one.
    Art style and animations are amazing. I wish they used this art style in the remaster of 1 and 2.
    Fantastic humour as always and we get to know new personalities from the characters we knew from before.
    Its a nostalgia bomb, made impeccably well.
  20. Sep 23, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is the best adventure game in the series and in the genre. It brilliantly combines interesting puzzles, clever story telling, witty humour, and a beautiful art style that brings the characters to life. Ron Gilbert’s touch can be felt from the start to the end. The hope is that this will be a reboot to the franchise and not the end

Generally favorable reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 29, 2022
    With all the wit and charm that you would expect from Gilbert and Grossman's writing, Return to Monkey Island is a decades-long reverie made reality and absolutely essential for fans of the series.
  2. Sep 28, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is profoundly nostalgic and relentlessly funny, and I'm once again a kid, laughing at Guybrush's umpteenth last-ditch efforts to distract his opponents with, "Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!"
  3. Sep 27, 2022
    With the right amount of nostalgia and plenty of great characters, Return to Monkey Island is an awesome addition to legendary series, that can entertain older players of originals, and newcomers as well.