8.4

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 16, 2020
    For starters, Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin is a very well rounded RPG. This game is uniquely portrayed as a side-scrolling platformer and a farming simulator. While a side-scroller at heart Sakuna has a little something for everybody. It's visually appealing, well written and most of the characters are quite likable. The main encampment in which you live and work has a warmth that wraps aroundFor starters, Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin is a very well rounded RPG. This game is uniquely portrayed as a side-scrolling platformer and a farming simulator. While a side-scroller at heart Sakuna has a little something for everybody. It's visually appealing, well written and most of the characters are quite likable. The main encampment in which you live and work has a warmth that wraps around you the more your adventure progresses. Aside from the gorgeous side-scrolling there is a farming simulator too. It takes some getting used to when planting the rice as the controls come off slightly awkward at first, however, once you get this feature down it can be a ton of fun! The developers did a seamless job tying the farming to Sakuna's upgrading. The music has a nice, fitting flow and strides along beautifully while corresponding to the lush environments. Sakuna gives you the feeling of, the more you give the more you get and it's very fitting as you often feel a sense of accomplishment. You get a lot for your dollar in this unique little package. Is it perfect? No. But it's pretty close and it deserves your time especially if you can appreciate the Japanese culture the game transfuses so well. Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2020
    Most undervalued farm simulation game!

You definitely need to try this game

I did it for 6 hours Without knowing the time is passing
  3. Nov 22, 2020
    We have a new mashup genre... The Farm-em-up (or 'Fup') Farm simulation meets Muramasa Demon blade, Dust an elysian tail, Odins sphere. These games already had extensive use of Japanese food culture baked into their core gameplay. Sakuna takes this base fundamental, and moves it into full blown food cultivation with the same awesome combat of the latter. It works so well there is going toWe have a new mashup genre... The Farm-em-up (or 'Fup') Farm simulation meets Muramasa Demon blade, Dust an elysian tail, Odins sphere. These games already had extensive use of Japanese food culture baked into their core gameplay. Sakuna takes this base fundamental, and moves it into full blown food cultivation with the same awesome combat of the latter. It works so well there is going to be an explosion of this type of game now, and its Sakuna's fault. A 10 score should be reserved for those games that create new genres, this is one such game. Outstanding masterpiece that triple A companies will steal as it becomes popular. Expand
  4. Nov 12, 2020
    The story is interesting. And more than anything, the idea is fresh.
    It's a farming RPG game, and the action is very good.
    Very good action and war.
  5. Nov 14, 2020
    I preordered sakuna as soon as available.the character design is so cute so lovely,sakuna's action is smooth,she runs .the english voice acting is almost as good as runefactory4,bu......t,i think the cut scene does not need full voice acting,more effort of voice acting should be put to monters and daily dialogue with NPCs.and when jump in village,sakuna should have voice
  6. Nov 30, 2020
    The game is a cross between Muramasa Demon Blade and Haverst Moon, all meshed into a beautiful traditional japanese folk setting, the game polishment is overshadowed by terrible compressed voice over in the Switch version. It's really jarring looking at the beautiful game with that bad VA audio quality, is just RUIN the whole atmosphere.
  7. Dec 22, 2020
    The game beautiful setup is kinda spoiled by the terrible compressed voice acting in this version, if you are an audiophile or are sensitive to poor quality audio better get this on PC.
  8. Nov 21, 2020
    Pleasantly surprised by this game. I love that the farming has direct influence of your character’s stats. The combat is good, something like Odin Sphere. The rice farming is extremely in depth and challenging. Only complaint so far is the combat can be wonky at times, especially when dealing with obstacles in the environment. This game is perfect for people who like to play in burstsPleasantly surprised by this game. I love that the farming has direct influence of your character’s stats. The combat is good, something like Odin Sphere. The rice farming is extremely in depth and challenging. Only complaint so far is the combat can be wonky at times, especially when dealing with obstacles in the environment. This game is perfect for people who like to play in bursts as well due to the day/night cycle. Expand
  9. Jul 23, 2021
    Love it! Such deep mechanics in there I still haven’t mastered a few things when it comes to growing rice, but you really don’t need to know everything, the rice grows well enough with basic knowledge. The combat was so on point, after I was playing for a while a became really good at it, felt really powerful, and the variety of attacks the game gives you is really nice, you can chooseLove it! Such deep mechanics in there I still haven’t mastered a few things when it comes to growing rice, but you really don’t need to know everything, the rice grows well enough with basic knowledge. The combat was so on point, after I was playing for a while a became really good at it, felt really powerful, and the variety of attacks the game gives you is really nice, you can choose your favourite ones and use them all the time or change them up, it changes how you play. The more you use an attack the more it’ll level up and become more powerful. The progression is surprisingly really well done like I never felt like I needed to level up and grind to beat a certain section. I guess it depends on how good of a rice farmer you are. A few things bothered me, like going back into previously beaten level to clear different objectives was kind of tedious but necessary to discover new areas. Certain enemies were resistant / weak to certain attacks but it isn’t written anywhere and I still don’t know because I haven’t looked it up. Last thing is the game was a but too long. Took me 36 hours. The best part was the last 10-12 hours, that was so much fun because I was familiar with everything and the special attacks really became interesting and fun to use. Anyways I recommend it but you need to be ready to commit to it because the most fun I had with it was the last third of the game. Although the rest was a lot of fun too. The game runs very smoothly in terms of frame rate, I experienced very few frame rate drops and they did not bother me. Expand
  10. Feb 13, 2021
    Sakuna is a unique experience that won't tickle everyone's fancy, but for those that it speaks to, it is an absolutely incredible game that is like no other. At its heart, the game is two halves pressed together; on the one hand, you have a meticulous and detailed rice farming simulation and on the other, a deep and rewarding combat-heavy action platformer. Yet however silly that maySakuna is a unique experience that won't tickle everyone's fancy, but for those that it speaks to, it is an absolutely incredible game that is like no other. At its heart, the game is two halves pressed together; on the one hand, you have a meticulous and detailed rice farming simulation and on the other, a deep and rewarding combat-heavy action platformer. Yet however silly that may sound, it's like the discovery of mixing peanut butter and chocolate together. And the best part is that one cannot exist without the other in Sakuna.

Nothing that you do in this game is a waste of time even if it may be time-consuming. That's how deeply-integrated all of its parts are. You cannot succeed at the action without a successful farm. You cannot have a successful farm unless you're out there gathering the right stuff for fertilizer and tending to the weeds. You cannot survive unless you ensure your belly is full and you're eating the right stat-boosting dinners every night with the very components you just hunted for. Everything you do inevitably leads to increasing Sakuna's stats.

The best part, however, is that the game hardly tells you how to go about this. While you can easily go out and wiki the game to hell, its design is deliberate and entirely about learning and growing organically as a character and as a player. Put aside your min/maxing for a spell and experiment, figure out how things work or hunt down scrolls that give you what you need to know. You will initially be lost because Sakuna herself is initially lost. She's a spoiled brat, told to go tame an island of demons with no idea how to survive. Similarly, you're thrown into the game with about as much a clue as she has about how to get stuff done. But over time, you will learn and you will get better and you will discover new things to make yourself even stronger, build better weapons and tools and skills. It's an incredibly rewarding experience if you allow it to be.

Sakuna is not a game about hitting the ground a winner. The intent is for you to grow as she grows and I think the game succeeds marvelously at this. You are so tied to your stats (which come from your farm) so even if you know what to do, you still have to earn it. It's a game that will burrow into the deep recesses of your mind and take over your waking thoughts if you get bit by it. Regardless of what platform you play this on, if any of it interests you, then you will find yourself falling in love with the game before you know it.
  11. Sep 13, 2021
    Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin does almost everything right in the aspects it focuses on. The gameplay in the Hack'n'Slash passages is buttery smooth, the farming simulator elements are detailed and deep and the soundtrack is divine. It almost seems as if the game was held back entirely by the hardware. Other versions of the game are likely to look better and have no audio issues with the soundtrack.
  12. Dec 23, 2020
    Such an amazing game. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention. Funny though, I've leveled my character so much with rice farming that fighting is a breeze (and I love it)! Some of the skills are so fun. I have a favourite atm... It's cool to cause you can attach each of the moves, and there are quite a few you unlock, an you can attach them to a direction, like going forward or upSuch an amazing game. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention. Funny though, I've leveled my character so much with rice farming that fighting is a breeze (and I love it)! Some of the skills are so fun. I have a favourite atm... It's cool to cause you can attach each of the moves, and there are quite a few you unlock, an you can attach them to a direction, like going forward or up into the sky. And these skills they level up too. But the rice farming is just so awesome. And your farming levels up and you get news skills with that too. Yeah overall this is such a fantastic game and well worth my $60 CAD spent. Reminds me of Okami, with farming. LOVE Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2020
    Where should I start? An RPG, a Platformer, a Farming Simulator... all in one? That's so innovative! None of these ever felt like they were just thrown in there and every little detail was packed with so much care and respect. I'm surprised at how many new ways that platforming tools can be implemented, and the way that this game does it is absolutely amazing. Planting rice is a lot ofWhere should I start? An RPG, a Platformer, a Farming Simulator... all in one? That's so innovative! None of these ever felt like they were just thrown in there and every little detail was packed with so much care and respect. I'm surprised at how many new ways that platforming tools can be implemented, and the way that this game does it is absolutely amazing. Planting rice is a lot of fun. Never expected to say that in my life. It gets a bit tough at times, but just stick with it, and you'll get the hang of it eventually. The ancient Japanese styled art and music bring so much charm and flavor into this game. The Characters are so cute, and the design is absolutely gorgeous! This game is definitely well worth your time and money. Expand
  14. Dec 2, 2020
    Divertido, original, muy cuidado y recomendable totalmente, obviamente. No apto para cuñaos
  15. Jan 14, 2021
    It takes a few hours to really get into and understand this game, but it's well worth it. Combat is fun and fluid and the music/soundtrack is fantastic. I bought this game on a whim and am surprised how much I've come to enjoy it.
  16. Nov 30, 2020
    Best hybrid ever, what i enjoyed most 2020. The balance between the two modes had me wondering what i liked the most. Masterpiece.
  17. Feb 20, 2021
    Das Spiel kommt aus der Schweiz und spielt sich auch so. Furchtbare Steuerung, furchtbare Musik, furchtbares Voice Over.
  18. Feb 21, 2021
    i got the game two days ago and lets just say, that this game has been one of the most original ideas i have seen so far, the rice mechanic is weird but necessary, at first a player would think that is a sidequest, but is more different than you think, the rice mechanic is the only way your mc (sakuna) can level up, mix that with vallinaware awesome rpgs and you have a recipe worth of a hidden gem
  19. Aug 18, 2021
    I was genuinely surprised by this game! It was the most wholesome experience I had in a while. I have an Asian background and the rice shenanigans just felt so relevant and funny to me.

The art style was downright gorgeous. The 3D graphics during the farming sequence were lovely. Cats and dogs are so cute. Sakuna herself and the other cast were cute and enjoyable. I liked all of

Sakuna herself and the other cast were cute and enjoyable. I liked all of their backstories and liked how they were told so casually at supper times.

Farming was refreshing and was so much fun to experiment. I looked up real-time references for rice growth stages and this was just fun. Does get repetitive, but I think it should be expected from a farming-sim. Feeding my characters was fun, and gathering ingredients was enjoyable. Making compost and managing/planning the season was fun.

The battle never got old. Skill combinations were fun, and the action effects during the battle made them quite enjoyable. I'm terrible at metroidvanias and platforming (like, unable to finish Super Mario Bros world 1 bad) but I was able to make it through this one just fine. The game is not overly demanding and it suited its ambiance.

Some complaints,
    - Some QoL and upgrades are only introduced toward to end of the story and are barely used. I wished that I got cow plowing and hulling tools earlier.
    - It's difficult for the player to balance between farming and exploration. I ended up farming way too much compared to the story progression.
    - I wished that there were some difficulty adjustment settings, like how Xenoblade DE does. Rice farming levels Sakuna up by way too much. I enjoyed farming and wanted to grow the best rice possible. After few attempts, my Sakuna was way too powerful and I eased through the final boss. The boss was only dealing 1 damage per hit... I enjoy easy games since I'm admittedly bad at many of them, but it was bit disappointing even for me. I can see that some people will not like this. If there was a stat/level cap system that stops the player from leveling up beyond certain point while storing the exp, it would have been much more enjoyable.
    - The monster types were too limited.

The story isn't too heavy and light-hearted. However, the credit roll was so wholesome and made me look back at my journey through the game.

My 50 hr journey with Sakuna was a bliss.
  20. Jun 19, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There’s so few games that have the ability to hold my attention enough to finish. I absolutely ADORE this game. The storyline? Excellent. The gameplay? Awesome. Ending was tear jerking but definitely beautiful.

The game mechanics are pretty simple, and there’s a farming mechanic where you exclusively grow rice. Sounds kind of boring? Not so! The rice is what grows your character and increases your stats, allowing you to progress and reach new levels and progress through the game. You also use the spoils you find and make food and stuff you can use to upgrade your armour/weapons, or use it to fertilize your rice :D the NPC’s will sometimes have quests for you, meaningful quests that will have quite a bit of story, not just “collect 10 sticks ‘cause.”

The story is beautiful. Some people might find the characters to be annoying, I think that’s kind of the intention, especially with Sakuna. She starts as a spoiled childlike princess and throughout the story becomes a really strong female protagonist.

Only negatives I have with this is the raiment controls were a bit clunky and annoying.

Really hope to see a second game, I absolutely loved this one.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    May 5, 2021
    It's so nice to get hyped for an upcoming game, look forward to it for over a year, finally play it and find that it lives up to your hopes! [Issue #50 – January/February 2021, p. 72]
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Feb 17, 2021
    The rice-growing process is very detailed, perhaps excessively so, but the action elements help to break the monotony. Besides, where else can you learn so much about rice? [Issue#251, p.55]
  3. Jan 4, 2021
    The realistic, in depth elements of rice farming combined with honing fighting skills plus surprising character revelations and development make Sakuna of Rice and Ruin a magnificent game. Sakuna's personal growth is a pleasure to watch. Her reason for living is tested to the limit, she learns to serve others rather than herself, and has to make a sacrifice that she would not have made if faced with the same decision at the start of the game. The balanced emphasis on farming and fighting provides a great variety of tasks to undertake, providing dozens of hours of fun. The delay in the game's original planned release was worth the wait.