7.3

1. May 8, 2019
    Shakedown Hawaii is a mesmerizing ode to something akin to a genesis game back in the 90s. The game plays a lot like the original Retro City Rampage, and while some people may have hoped for improvements in some areas, the game is far from bad. In fact, I find it to be a great game.

Style: Shakedown Hawaii is a GTA clone set in (where else?) Hawaii. In the game you'll do missions of a lot of going from point A to point B, but the missions are now more advanced than what they were in RCR. There are GTA-style rampages, tons of cars to collect, respray, and destroy. There are a multitude of guns to use, and a big city to explore. A big point of the game will be owning the ENTIRE island. The game is about making oodles of money, and having the biggest, baddest empire around, a lot like a game of monopoly.

Story:
    The story of Shakedown Hawaii involves you running an empire. In the story, you're constantly borrowing from ideas that your CEO sees on screen and executing them, but then also being hindered by how technology has advanced. There's an interesting dynamic in the story because not only do the characters cater to consumers (trying to be a slimy as possible), they too are consumers and have to deal with the fallback of a greedy, capitalist society. However, the story isn't quite as fleshed out as RCR. Generally it feels like the missions fall a bit short because in kind of feels like the whole game is just one big mission, and not really divided up into many different missions. The missions don't seem to really have much viable conclusion like they did in RCR. Also, the missions follow a general pattern which may not appeal to some people. Despite this, the missions work. And they are as fun as they ever were. If you liked RCR, you'll like the missions. In my opinion, the humor is improved too.

Graphics: This is where the game really shines. The amount of detail put into this game is really top-notch. It really feels like a 16 bit genesis game. The palm trees sway like in a game such as Streets of Rage, and the world just has a motion to it as the people walk around taking selfies, dancing and doing all sorts of other activities. One of the most amazing features is how everything in the game is destructible. The amount of detail here can't be stressed more.

Gameplay: What can I say about the gameplay? Well, it's RCR. The car mechanics are roughly the same, though I found it easier to drive. However, there is still the problem of cops being around every corner, and when you're driving you'll often bump into them. The roads, just like in RCR, are somewhat tiny, and only one car can fit per lane, so it makes it a little annoying always having to squeeze through cars. In that case, a lot of times I'd rather walk. The guns are much improved now, and you can even shoot out a window with any gun (Yay!). There were some problems with the lock-on system. Sometimes I'd be trying to aim for someone, and my character would, for some reason, be shooting a palm tree instead of a guy. However, I must say that the auto-aim is improved for the guns. Most of the time, they work. The slaughter-spree/GTA-style rampage modes are also more balanced this time around, akin to RCR:DX. I'm not fully through the game yet, but I have had problems with there being no map markers for things like gun stores, hat stores, shoe stores, and ect.

Sound: Wow, the sound is improved since RCR. The 16-bit music is just so great, and I always find myself tapping to the songs that I hear in the game. Some people may be turned off by the 16-bit sounds (what?! 16-bit?!). Yes, it's 16-bit, so don't expect the most advanced sounds to come out of a pedestrian when you blow him away with a pistol. However, these sounds work. The music really works, and you can tell that this is one area that is vastly improved from RCR, especially in terms of the music.

Overall: In summation, Shakedown Hawaii is VASTLY, VASTLY improved from RCR. The sound, graphics, style, and gameplay are top-notch. For the price-tag of $20, you can do much worse. Really, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this game. It may not have every feature imaginable in the game that everyone (especially critics) may have wanted, things such as map markers, a greater variety of side things to do, and a different gameplay scheme, but these things are completely ceded by just how great of an experience the game really is.
  2. May 9, 2019
    The vibrant GTA-style game with some strategy elements. Absolutely love it!
  3. JCG
    May 10, 2019
    A captivating, smart, and fun game with plenty of hours of entertainment value. Everyone that plays this game will enjoy the many pop culture references weaved cleverly in the game. Vblank hit it out of the park with this one! I give this game my highest recommendation. This game won't disappoint you!
  4. Aug 21, 2019
    Not entirely knowing what I was going to get from Shakedown Hawaii, I went into this game relatively fresh. I had watched a few videos, and saw a couple of screenshots, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. The game itself is relatively similar to the old school PlayStation One-era Grand Theft Auto games with a bit of a modern twist, as well as a strong emphasis on buying up everyNot entirely knowing what I was going to get from Shakedown Hawaii, I went into this game relatively fresh. I had watched a few videos, and saw a couple of screenshots, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. The game itself is relatively similar to the old school PlayStation One-era Grand Theft Auto games with a bit of a modern twist, as well as a strong emphasis on buying up every building that you possibly can. Surprisingly, the city management is a relatively deep feature for a game like Shakedown Hawaii. Buying up every single building of a certain type will create a monopoly. This seems to be the outright goal of the game, something that becomes quite evident on the early showings of the game.

In my own personal opinion, the strongest aspect of the game had to of been the writing. There are references to very familiar corporate shenanigans in a lot of missions. Some of the subtle shots at certain products are pretty humorous. A lot of it makes you realize just how ridiculous society has become with things like product placement or how the quality of things we have these days has dropped so that companies can make a few extra bucks penny pinching products. Shakedown Hawaii does a good job of covering all of that and more.

In closing, I feel that Shakedown Hawaii is a pretty solid game. It's a quality little game, and does a good job of tugging on my nostalgic strings with its overall look and feel. My only gripe with the game is that its rather short. I was able to complete everything there was to do in around 13 hours, something that I felt was kind of a shame. More variety in content would have been great, however, I don't regret this purchase. The story alone was enough for me to leave the game with a smile. Shakedown Hawaii is definitely a game I could recommend picking up, though I do feel $19.99 is a bit much for how short the game is. I personally enjoyed the game, but would say the game might be worth buying more if it was on sale. Other than that, definitely a solid game!
  5. May 19, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mir gefiel dieser Teil deutlich besser als der Vorgänger City Rampage. Ist zu lange her um zu sagen woran das liegt. Vielleicht hat das Spiel einfach einen falschen Tag bei mir erwischt. Jedenfalls stimmt hier einfach das Wesentliche. Es macht Spass und gute Laune. In letzter Zeit find ich Gewaltspiele nicht mehr so toll aber dieses Spiel macht das richtig. Es nimmt sich einfach nicht so ernst, dadurch zieht der Zynismus einen auch nicht runter sondern wirkt sogar witzig.

Was mir nicht so gut gefällt ist, dass man das Geld, das man von der Firma in die eigenen Taschen abzweigt, zu langsam erhöht werden kann. Und scheinbar kann man das nur für den Ceo machen. Alle Upgrades für jeden Charakter zu kaufen ist für mich so zu grindig. Die Karte hat so gut wie keine Symbole und somit ist es sehr umständlich etwas zu finden, wie zum Beispiel den Tierarzt. Etwas schade ist, dass man zu schnell zu viel Geld hat um alle Gebäude mit allen Upgrades zu kaufen. Und die Upgrades für die über 400 Gebäude zu kaufen dauert viiiel zu lange. Das letzte Gebäude zu kaufen war irgendwie leicht erniedrigend. Jedes Gebäude zu kaufen sollte ein Hurra auslösen und nicht so eine Szene vor dem Kauf.

Trotzdem macht es einfach richtig Laune die ganze Insel zu kaufen. Durch die gute Musik wird die Atmosphäre noch besser. Den Graphikstil find ich spitze und sehr charmant. Vieles lässt sich zerstören. Der Schwiefigkeitsgrad ist sehr angenehm nur ein paar Ladekabel waren etwas schwer zu finden. Eines ist IN einer Yacht drinne. Die ganz links unten. Hab das Spiel jetzt zu 100 prozent durch. Habe dafür fast 30 Stunden gebraucht. Geht aber natürlich deutlich schneller, gerade wenn man nur die Story durchspielen will. Ich finde das Spiel hat genau die richtige Länge. Die Dialoge und die Story an sich fand ich ganz witzig. Hab oft geschmunzelt.
  6. Jun 26, 2019
    Fun game to play with campaign and mini quest to complete. Jump and bump on their heads the mario way
  7. May 27, 2019
    W grze wcielamy się w podstarzałego dyrektora firmy, która nie radzi sobie w nowych czasach. Jego interesy jak wypożyczalnia kaset video, sklepy stacjonarne czy sieć taksówkarska zostają wypierane przez nowoczesne modele biznesowe. Korporacje strumieniujące filmy, zakupy online czy przewozy pasażerskie zamawiane z aplikacji na telefonie zabijają klasyczne przedsiębiorstwa, więc dyrektorW grze wcielamy się w podstarzałego dyrektora firmy, która nie radzi sobie w nowych czasach. Jego interesy jak wypożyczalnia kaset video, sklepy stacjonarne czy sieć taksówkarska zostają wypierane przez nowoczesne modele biznesowe. Korporacje strumieniujące filmy, zakupy online czy przewozy pasażerskie zamawiane z aplikacji na telefonie zabijają klasyczne przedsiębiorstwa, więc dyrektor zaczyna kombinować i uczy się zarządzać w nowych czasach.

W grze Shakedown: Hawaii to jest właśnie główną osią fabularną. Zaczynamy robić przekręty, napadać na konkurencje, wykupywać dzielnice i budować swoje imperium. Podczas tego wszystkiego w wielu mini scenkach i ponad stu kilkuminutowych misjach zobaczymy jak działa obecny marketing. Jak wpaja się konsumentom coś czego nie potrzebują, ogranicza datę przydatności aby sprzedawać więcej i przebrandowuje produkty gdy nie radzą sobie na rynku. Takie działania: zmiana opakowania, znalezienie rynku zbytu w innej grupie docelowej są po prostu ciekawe i podane w humorystyczny sposób, więc chciałem zobaczyć co będzie dalej. Twórcy naśmiewają się z konsumpcjonizmu i parodiują duże korporacje.

Rozgrywka to standard w tego typu grach: napady, zabijanie, niszczenie konkurencji, gdzieś pojechać, coś wykonać, wrócić… po prostu otoczka fabularna fajnie to scala. Powiększanie imperium to na początku zastraszanie małych biznesów i oferowanie „ochrony” za haracz. Jeśli właściciel się nie zgodzi to trzeba mu pokazać przeciw czemu będzie płacił i demolujemy wtedy lokal. Innymi sposobami wywierania nacisku argumentem siły są też: zastraszanie klientów, napadanie dostawców… jest tego bardzo dużo, na różne sposoby i z humorem. W zakładzie fryzjerskim demolka nie zrobiła wrażenia na pani stylistce fryzur, ale już opitolenie jej bujnej czupryny nożyczkami i „zmiana stylówy na siłę” szybko sprawiła, że zmieniła zdanie. Właśnie takie momenty są fajne w Shakedown: Hawaii.
    Jeśli już zastraszymy odpowiednią ilość lokali w okolicy to dzielnica traci na wartości. Wtedy za mniejsze pieniądze można wykupić je na własność, a tym samym zaczynamy więcej zarabiać za usługi, które ów przybytki oferują. Z biegiem czasu wraz z postępującą linią fabularną okazuje się, że należy sprzedawać karty lojalnościowe, rozdawać kupony zniżkowe, czy wynająć/wykupić telemarketerów, którzy będą oferować klientom i wciskać więcej produktów. Te zagrywki są mnożnikiem przychodów, więc należy w trybie zarządzania dokupować je z osobna dla każdego budynku.

W grze poza głównym bohaterem (dyrektorem), jest też dwóch innych. Jego przygłupi, nie pracujący, grający w gry video syn Scooter oraz facet od brudnej roboty, mieszający się w wojny gangów. Scenki przerywnikowe ukazują często jak dyrektor dzwoni do jednego z nich i zleca zadanie, po czym gra przenosi nas w inne miejsce, do odpowiedniej misji.
    Rozwój gry i dochody są dobrze zbalansowane. Na początku brakuje nam kasy, budynki są drogie i trzeba czekać aż skończy się dzień. Gdy już dostaniemy wypłatę na konto z obrotów… można zacząć kupować nowe lokale. Tryb fabularny starczy na około 7-10 godzin.
    Poza wypełnianiem misji można oczywiście atakować przechodniów, uciekać przed policją lub szukać zasilaczy do telefonu rozsianych na całej mapie i w budynkach. To ostatnie jest dla zbieraczy i eksploracji mapy. W różnych miejscach znajdują się też ikonki czaszki, które są różnego rodzaju wyzwaniami z bronią na czas.
    W Shakedown: Hawaii grałem w 98% przenośnie. Dużo czasu spędziłem na krótkich sesjach 15-30 minutowych. Chyba dosłownie kilka razy siedziałem przy tytule dłużej i może raz przy telewizorze. Po sprawdzeniu gry przenośnie przypasowało mi to idealnie. Głównie dzięki krótkim zadaniom i temu, że gra uruchamia się bardzo szybko.
    Shakedown: Hawaii prezentuje się bardzo dobrze w 16-bitowej stylistyce. Mapa po której się poruszamy jest obszerna i zróżnicowana. Wszystko jest przemyślane i działa płynnie. Nie uświadczyłem tu nigdy żadnych spadków animacji, nawet robiąc dużą rozpierduchę na ulicy.
    Jeśli chodzi o udźwiękowienie to prezentuje się ono dobrze. Muzyka jest fajna, można ją zmieniać podczas jazdy samochodami, a wydobywające się pociski z różnych broni brzmią inaczej, tak samo zresztą jak silniki pojazdów. Nie ma do czego się przyczepić, nie ma też za bardzo co chwalić. Dopełnia obraz i gameplay tworząc dobrą grę w całości.
    Shakedown: Hawaii to dobra gra w stylu klasycznych GTA. Oprawa audio-video jest fajna, a głównym czynnikiem wpływającym na odbiór gry jest pomysł na fabułę pełną humoru i groteski. Tytuł polecam, bo w swojej kategorii gier przenośnych sprawdza się idealnie.
    ----------
    Grywalność 8/10
    Grafika 9/10
    Dźwięk 8/10
    ----------
    Ogółem 8.3/10
    pełna recenzja na goomba.pl
  8. Jan 16, 2020
    After waiting years for this game to be released, I was disappointed by mixed reviews... glad I bought it anyway because I just LOVED it. Amazing pixel art and synthwave soundtrack, crude humor and jabs at absolutely every **** capitalist trick. I agree that as a tycoon game it fails, as you get so much money so easily, rendering this aspect meaningless... but even this "flaw" blend withAfter waiting years for this game to be released, I was disappointed by mixed reviews... glad I bought it anyway because I just LOVED it. Amazing pixel art and synthwave soundtrack, crude humor and jabs at absolutely every **** capitalist trick. I agree that as a tycoon game it fails, as you get so much money so easily, rendering this aspect meaningless... but even this "flaw" blend with the story, because your character is really away from FAIR PLAY Expand
  9. May 21, 2019
    This game is an absolute blast. Pure, unadulterated fun.
    Imagine a much more bright and vibrant 2D GTA, add in some business/property management features, and top it off with a great sense of humor, and this is what you get. Reviewers are really selling it short.
    This game is an absolute blast. Pure, unadulterated fun.
    Huge amount of content, endless things to do, and even just messing around with no real goal is a blast. Campaign and sandbox mode. Good writing and music, vibrant and colorful graphics. Just a joy to play.
    To be honest... i have much more fun playing this than i do playing GTA.
  10. May 30, 2019
    A very worthy successor to Retro City Rampage. Nearly every feature from the previous title returns and has seen improvements. The graphical styling, as well as many new additions to the open world make for a much more compelling experience long-term, while maintaining the immediate enjoyable nature of the original.
    The story (which follows three characters) is also much improved. Without
    The story (which follows three characters) is also much improved. Without going into detail, it's much more of a social commentary on capitalism and 'gaming culture' while still hitting the same beats in terms of humor. If you enjoyed Retro City Rampage, you can't go wrong with this.
  11. Sep 21, 2019
    Shakedown Hawaii is a whimsical isomorphic 16-bit GTA style game that doesn't take itself seriously and it is glorious. It seems to me that most of the people who reviewed this game poorly never manged to play it correctly in the first place. Shakedowns are only a very small part of the game. Play the story missions (they're hilarious), buy realestate, shake the S%!t out of people, beShakedown Hawaii is a whimsical isomorphic 16-bit GTA style game that doesn't take itself seriously and it is glorious. It seems to me that most of the people who reviewed this game poorly never manged to play it correctly in the first place. Shakedowns are only a very small part of the game. Play the story missions (they're hilarious), buy realestate, shake the S%!t out of people, be reckless, and destroy like there's no tomorrow. That's how you're supposed to play the game. They've added additional content since I played the game last and it looks great. My only complaint about the game is the brake noise. It's annoying at first but you eventually get used to it. And when you're running from the cops, you won't notice is at all. ;) Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Feb 27, 2020
    Overall, there's enough charm here in Shakedown: Hawaii to wring out a number of hours of enjoyment. [Issue #40 – July/August 2019, p. 28]
  2. Jul 8, 2019
    A worthy successor to the Retro City Rampage, this is a 16-bit pack full of action and explosions that destroy even the fourth wall and jump right into your heart. If you loved GTA and the 16-bit era, you will love this game.
  3. Jun 28, 2019
    Shakedown: Hawaii brings forth a fun, well-humoured and visually satisfying 16-bit inspired world to a game that despite its good intentions, does not fully tick all the necessary boxes to achieve its entire potential. Mostly because the game feels like it ends too quickly, even though there is still plenty to do but the overall feeling of repetitiveness and a certain lack of challenge make it less compelling and involving than it could be. All that said, this is still a good effort that will keep players enjoyed.