- Publisher: Frogwares
- Release Date: Feb 3, 2022
- Also On: PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Summary: It is now your turn to truly become Sherlock Holmes and lead your own investigation--actually, your investigations, as 8 captivating cases await you in Crimes & Punishments! Murders, disappearances, spectacular thefts, and other investigations will bring you to the cutting edge of theIt is now your turn to truly become Sherlock Holmes and lead your own investigation--actually, your investigations, as 8 captivating cases await you in Crimes & Punishments! Murders, disappearances, spectacular thefts, and other investigations will bring you to the cutting edge of the detective written in the pure tradition of Conan Doyle's novels. Each case offers real freedom to players, who will have to make important moral choices instead of simply enforcing justice by the book. All decisions have an influence in the game, so bear the weight of your choices!… Expand
- Developer: Frogwares
- Genre(s): Adventure, General, 3D, Third-Person
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 5 out of 7
Mixed: 1 out of 7
Negative: 1 out of 7
Feb 2, 2022Overall, this is the best Sherlock Holmes game we've encountered and a very auspicious debut for the consulting detective on Switch. This is far from a lazy downgrade, with developer Frogwares presenting a full-featured and compelling experience from start to perhaps-too-soon finish. It looks great and plays brilliantly, with only occasional annoyances and some weak (though thankfully skippable) puzzles to knock it down a peg. The fact that the game is willing to allow you to get it wrong means it feels less prescribed and inevitable as other titles in the detective genre, and that's quite refreshing. A little ironic that it took one of the form's oldest characters to finally land such a novel approach.
Oct 20, 2022Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments is a thrilling detective puzzle game that puts the players at the very centre of a masterfully portrayed Sherlock Holmes story. Using one existing Sherlock Holmes case and five original cases devised for the game, Crimes & Punishments does a brilliant work when it comes to mystery-solving, where the player has a wide margin to approach each case and decide where to proceed. While the visual performance does show the Nintendo Switch limits and the controls can feel a bit awkward at times, this is an overall very involving experience and will captivate all fans of detective mysteries.
Feb 8, 2022Some of the voice acting could be better and a few of the puzzles have that usual adventure game problem of requiring some incredible leaps of logic, but generally speaking Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments does a wonderful job of making you feel like you are living the life of the gentleman detective himself. The cases are interesting to solve, and piecing things together really does make you feel clever. The actual overall narrative is somewhat lacking, but the moment-to-moment plot is compelling enough. The port to the Switch is solid, but you should as usual expect some lengthy loading times here and there. Fans of Sherlock Holmes or adventure games in general will likely enjoy what they get here.
Feb 21, 2022If you want your fix of Sherlock and don’t feel like whipping a book open, this game is a safe bet to whet your appetite. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments has a ton of charm, uniqueness, and freedom, and with the right gamer, this will be a dream.
Apr 8, 2022Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is one of the best Sherlock Holmes games available on the Switch — and maybe even ever released. The sum of many outstanding details working together seamlessly, it has uniquely clever mechanics that really drive home that “wow” factor — the added morality behind choices is a breath of fresh air in a long-standing series that usually relies purely on logic. Although the Switch port performs wonderfully, the game itself is starting to show its age in a few areas; with that being said, there are just too many little details that still keep this 8 year old game competitive against newer releases. If you’re a fan of mystery titles, getting Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is simply elementary.
Mar 23, 2022All in all, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is full of delightful puzzles, multiple endings, and amazing voice acting. However, agonizing load times really hold the game back from achieving its full potential.
Jul 5, 2022Playing Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, it becomes clear the series has continued to find new ways to be mediocre, even as they’ve evolved in some ways. It’s a so-so game from nearly ten years ago that now feels positively ancient, and you’re better off just ignoring its existence.