7.8

1. Dec 10, 2019
    It’s more shovel knight. If you liked the other campaigns you will also like this one. It changes the formula enough to keep things interesting. The card game in it is also surprisingly fun.
  2. Dec 12, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The new card game feature is to dependent on luck to be any fun. I consistently got my worst cards and never drew my good ones to the point that the card game was a chore not enjoyable. Expand
  3. Feb 3, 2020
    Great platforming as always along side with awful cards mechanics. I suppose to play platforming game instead I have got casino :( wery disappointed, have dropped in on the house of cards. This part have ruined the whole shovel knight series :( Now you never knoe what developers will ad next, racing?
  4. Jan 27, 2020
    What a well done game. Shovel Knight: King of Cards has some truly fun platforming and an above average card puzzle game.

Game(s) like: Shovel Knight, Ducktales (NES) Pros: - The platforming stood out, it was difficulty but the levels were short enough to get over difficult parts - I enjoyed the card game after I figured it out Cons: - Why doesn't Switch have achievements so I

Game(s) like: Shovel Knight, Ducktales (NES)

Pros:
    - I enjoyed the card game after I figured it out

Cons:
    - Why doesn't Switch have achievements so I could validate my time by going back and getting 3 medals on every level!
  5. Dec 15, 2019
    Shovel knight the gift that keeps giving 10/10 wefhiuwehfuihweufhwuehuwhehweuhfuwefhuiwehfwuhwiuehf sorry had a quick stroke
  6. Dec 15, 2019
    King of Cards is yet another solid expansion to the Shovel Knight collection following the character King Knight shortly before the events of the original Shovel Knight storyline. Overall, the game is a very positive experience and lives up to the quality standards set by the series.
    The gameplay, like every other expansion, is fresh and unique from the base game. I found myself really enjoying King Knight's movement and attacks, which once I mastered them were some of the more satisfying movement mechanics I've experienced in a platform. King Knight uses a shoulder bash/charge as a primary attack, which can be canceled into a damaging roll or combo into a destructive spinning leap upon impact to most surfaces and enemies. The movement is fluid and surprisingly deep from the three base moves, aided by various new weapons and armor sets that can be found along the way. The gameplay alone is a ten out of ten.
    It's also worth noting that King of Cards features a card game called Joustus in the story mode, which is a decent enough little addition to the game. I myself don't really care for card games within video games, however once you unlock higher level cards and understand the surprisingly deep mechanics of Joustus it's alright. And if you happen to hate it, it's actually not required to play it in order to complete the story.
    Speaking of story, this one fails to live up to the story told in the previous campaign, Specter of Torment in my opinion. However, that by no means makes it a bad story, and I found myself really getting into the more silly and lighthearted tone of this one. If anything, the characterization of King Knight and the side characters alone was plenty enjoyable to me.
    Closing:
    Gameplay, story, art, music, and characters were great. My only nitpicks is that the new card game definitely leans on RNG at times, there wasn't much new music, and levels were very short. However, there were exponentially more levels than previous entries. Overall, this one is absolutely worth buying.
  7. Dec 16, 2019
    As a shovel knight fan for some years now, it's no surprise that I was eagerly waiting for this game for what felt like forever. I must've beat the 3 campaigns in treasure trove more than a dozen times since 2017, and I couldnt wait for king of cards. King knight was my favorite character from the start, and after delay after delay, my expectations could literally not be higher for thisAs a shovel knight fan for some years now, it's no surprise that I was eagerly waiting for this game for what felt like forever. I must've beat the 3 campaigns in treasure trove more than a dozen times since 2017, and I couldnt wait for king of cards. King knight was my favorite character from the start, and after delay after delay, my expectations could literally not be higher for this game. Yet somehow king of cards blew me out of the water in every way. The copious amount of platforming challenge youd expect from a shovel knight game is paired up perfectly with this new card game, Jostus, and it just works to an incredible degree. Yet what makes King of Cards stand out is its amount of content compared to the previous campaigns and its originality throughout the entire experience. While the first 2 games basically reused the same levels, and specter of torment switching things up but still keeping a lot of certain aspects of said levels, king of cards is a completely different experience, with dozens of levels each with completely different level designs, enemies, hazard, etc., while still retaining some of the classic enemies and designs from the original that worked so well. I cant reccomend this game enough and if you domt have treasure trove as a whole yet, really, what's wrong with you? Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Edge Magazine
    Jan 31, 2020
    It's wonderfully refined, boasting a glut of ideas without ever feeling overstuffed. [Issue#342, p.114]
  2. Jan 27, 2020
    King of Cards delivers a great epilogue for an even greater Shovel Knight saga. It is cleverly designed, has that old school vibe we all love, and a really cool move set for our new hero. Joustus, the card game is a great addition, but since it is pretty much a mandatory element, it may throw the entire tempo of the game down to the danger zone.
  3. Jan 6, 2020
    Shovel Knight: King of Cards is a fitting conclusion to an almost perfect saga. Fans of the series will enjoy the new features, especially the implementation of the card game, Joustus, and newcomers will easily fall in love with this much-loved series.