8.4

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jun 13, 2019
    Fun, highly addictive game. Runs extremely well on the Switch. Makes good use of the controllers and touchscreen
  2. Jun 27, 2019
    I usually play a game until I beat it and then move on–but I can't stop playing Slay the Spire.

It took a while for the addiction to kick in. In fact, my first few games felt pretty unremarkable. I started understanding what the fuss was all about around the time I beat the game for the first time. That was when I started to appreciate the subtle interactions between the elements of the game. Slay the Spire is all about building the right deck of cards, and when you walk into combat with a good deck–that's a very satisfying experience.

The game's quirkiness only makes it better: the characters and enemies steer clear of classic fantasy tropes, and some look like they come straight out of an LSD trip. By contrast, the random events in the game feature the bad writing and lack of subtleness of early CYOA books, and somehow they end up feeling charming because of that.

All in all, Slay the Spire is a well-rounded package that could only come from an indie development team. Recommended for anyone who doesn't actively hate single-player deckbuilders.
  3. Nov 15, 2019
    Way, way too much fun on the go, and I'm not even a card game or rogue-like fan.
  4. Oct 5, 2019
    It is a really good game. Runs pretty good on the switch, the only issue is when you loss there is a small freeze sometimes. There is a lot of content too.
  5. May 8, 2020
    No soy especialmente fan del genero roguelike, pero unos pocos juegos de este genero son sorprendentemente buenos y este es sin duda uno de ellos. Es un juego ideal para partidas cortas, mucho menos injusto que otros roguelikes, implicando mucho más la estrategia (sobre todo con ciertos personajes) sin quitar el factor azar.
    De normal este juego seria de 9, pero al port de switch le tengo
    De normal este juego seria de 9, pero al port de switch le tengo que dar el 10 porque es totalmente perfecto con el factor portátil y el juego esta perfectamente optimizado, siendo de lo mejor de su genero.
  6. Aug 1, 2019
    Slay The Spire is masterfully done with gorgeous artwork and music. It’s addictive gameplay with keep you coming back for more. You will easily put several hundred hours in this game and with all the bug fixes and portability Switch is the way to go!
  7. Jun 12, 2019
    The game itself is great, but the port is really bad - crashes constantly. This can result in the game becoming completely unplayable as it will break your save and then crash every time you start it. The only known fix? Delete all your progress and start over. Unacceptable. Avoid for now.
  8. Aug 10, 2019
    Its all fake! Everything in this game is predetermined! I can prove it to you. At the start of a battle remember your cards. Force quit the game and reload it. The next draw will always be the same which could never occur if the cards were drawn randomly. So unfortunately its all fake! I feel ripped.

I expect a card game to be random. By that I mean that cards should be drawn randomly. Not in this game, you either get cards drawn preselected by the developers or their random card drawer is extremely bad implemented. I had a deck of 50 cards and one of the cards I had five times in the deck. Next draw I get 4 of those 5 cards onto my hand! Do you know how low the odds are for that to happen?! And this did not happen only once, it happens all the time. After this the game became unplayable for me.
  9. Jul 10, 2021
    Great game that is easy to pick up on the go, hard to put down though. Addictive gameplay and runs very smoothly.
  10. Oct 29, 2019
    If You like card games, this is one of the best out there (probably the best). Only competition comes from Steamworld Hand of Gilgameh, but its so different, that one is story driven, this focuses only on combat. Optimally buy both because they offer totally different gameplay and overall experience.
  11. Nov 26, 2019
    One of the best, most captivating and replayable games I have ever encountered. Excellent and innovative use of difficulty scaling
  12. Jul 30, 2019
    This game is the perfect roguelike. The strategy is easy to pick up but extremely deep. It provides tons a replayability as well.
  13. Sep 13, 2021
    Fantastic game. Plays better on the switch then on mobile devices (easier to select cards, less errors). Great replay value, if you're a fan of card games like hearthstone - you'll love this. I believe this is even better. Every time you play the game is different. Does have a learning curve but once you understand the terms/gameplay the game hooks you.
  14. Jun 6, 2019
    Fantastic game, I hate rouguelikes but can't but this game down. Already put 100 hours into the steam version and was more that happy to pay full price again for the game on the Switch. The card system is fanatically balanced and even after 100s of hours I'm still not bored of the game! And the port to Switch is perfect
  15. Jul 29, 2019
    Slay the Spire is such a great game. I've gotten to 19 Ascension on Silent and beaten it plenty of time with the other two characters.

Game(s) like: Rogue-like Thronebreaker Pros: - Addicting game that makes every run and decision exciting - Several ways to win with such a solid variety of relics and cards - Like that there are three different characters with different cards and

Game(s) like: Rogue-like Thronebreaker

Pros:
    - Addicting game that makes every run and decision exciting
    - Several ways to win with such a solid variety of relics and cards
    - Like that there are three different characters with different cards and strategies

Cons:
    - Random is part of the game, but on higher ascensions it does suck if you get all blocks when your enemy is blocking or you just get crappy random events or boss relic choices
  16. Oct 12, 2021
    Slay the Spire is my first deckbuilding video game and I absolutely loved it. It took a while to get familiar with the mechanics but once it clicked with me, I was totally hooked.

You start the game with the class Ironclad. He is by no means the most fun class to play with, but I think he is the ideal class to learn the game. There are 4 Acts in Slay the Spire and once you die you start from the beginning. In every run, you learn about the enemies and how any given deck can be used to plan your strategy to create card synergies in your favor. I adored the overall character design and Slay the Spire really feels like it has its own style and lore, rather than your generic fantasy setting. Does Slay the Spire have RNG? Yes. You can at times be doomed or become a god based on unforeseeable decisions along the way, yet I’ve found it entertaining even to lose in Slay the Spire. Also, your experience with a particular class should not define your experience with the overall game, since Slay the Spire really feels like a different game with different classes.

I recommend Slay the Spire to everyone, regardless your familiarity with deckbuilding games. It is beautiful, addictive and immensely replayable.

My ranking of classes: Silence > Defect > Ironclad > Watcher
  17. Jun 21, 2021
    Once you get used to the look and the simplicity of the gameplay, you begin to dig the depth of this perfect deckbuilding game that for now is first and unmatched by others. Tons of replayability and perfect for the switch !
  18. Nov 15, 2019
    Probably my favorite rogue like since spelunky, it has some elements that make it technically a rogue-lite, but not much.
    The daily challenges are a must for bizarre adventures and it seems they are adding new content (a new class+cards).
    Great for a casual play, difficult but omg is hillarious how much you can break your build to be OP
  19. May 1, 2021
    This is a great game. Hours fly by figuring out the cards and how they interact, attack patterns of the enemies, card pickup strategy, and so on. There is a ton of content here.

However, after a while you realize that, no matter how much you refine your strategy, the game ultimately comes down to luck of the draw. Which is the point of a card game, yes, but here, probability works so significantly against you, that almost all runs will end up in defeat, no matter your decisions or strategy.
    There simply is not enough room for skill, between the chances of having good cards offered to you, having these cards work well with the ones you picked up before, getting relics that support them, making it through the fights with those enemies that exploit the weakness of your deck, not running into two subsequent damage-heavy fights, and, most crucially, not drawing your cards in the worst possible order, or at least being lucky enough to have a saving potion.

This could be remedied, for example by making it at least somewhat possible to recover losses, being able to adapt strategy during a run, or having enemies be less one-note, where your deck can either take them down without resistance, or you'll lose 40% or your HP.

I don't think the game should be easier, but I think it should be more balanced. Roguelikes are supposed to be a bit frustrating, but it should be frustrating because you lack skill, not because you realize you are the kind of sucker who plays odds massively fixed against you.
  20. Jun 21, 2019
    This is just a really fun game with interesting strategy and variety. The only problem I’ve had is not being able to view leaderboards. It says offline mode even though I am connected to the internet. Maybe I’m doing something wrong there...

Anyway, I’ve spent hours playing and once I get a good run going I can’t put it down. Easy to pick up and play. Really recommend giving this a go. Finally, would like to see achievements in games like this. Give the grinding more depth as you have achievements to chase and complete.
  21. Jun 6, 2019
    This is a wonderful game the brings the best parts of a range of genres into one addictive experience.

Slay the Spire brings enough depth and variety to keep any fan of strategy games entertained. Crucially, it adds enough randomness to keep you on your toes while still giving you the chance to anticipate and counter any particularly bad strokes of luck. This gives the game an amazing amount of replay value without ever making you feel like you're at the mercy of how the cards fall.

I've sunk far too many hours into the PC version and have already begun doing the same on the switch. The touch controls work wonderfully, working seamlessly with the card-playing mechanic. The only issue I have with the port is how clunky the touch controls can occasionally be. If you change your mind about playing a card you have to carefully return it to your hand, wait for your hand to adjust, and then carefully select your next card. It's very easy to accidentally grab the wrong card. This is a recurring issue: potions are especially frustrating to try play using the touch screen. Overall the benefits of touch controls outweigh these small issues, but it still gets in the way more often than it should.

Overall though, I highly recommend Slay the Spire and think that this is an excellent port.
  22. Jun 27, 2019
    Within 2 weeks of the premiere, I made over 30 hours. I've been watching the game for a long time on the PC, but I've been waiting for it to come out on the Switch. I am a fan of card games and I miss them on the Switch.

The game absorbed me so much that I even gave up Zelda! I have the Switch myself for 1.5 months. At the moment: STS - 40h, Zelda - 15h. The game itself around these

The game itself around these hours has blown up several times but never damaged anything (save, gameplay). After entering, I enter the battle in which I was but from the beginning.

We have 3 characters to choose from. In order to fully "pass the game" we should at level 20 Ascenssion finish the game with each character and you can always play again = it gives us a lot of hours to play.

The game is flowing, sometimes with certain animations it cuts itself (I always noticed with 1 boss). Control by Pad / JoyCons is great and I have no problems with finding it. Interestingly, it comes out even faster than on the touch screen. The touch screen itself is great with one small fail: sometimes it's hard to discard the card when you've picked it and want choose another one.

Due to: several crashes, very rare lags and strange screen behavior - 8/10. These are small defects but in Switch port - they should fix this.
  23. Jun 6, 2019
    Slay the Spire est plus qu’un excellent jeu de cartes, c’est surtout un très grand jeu vidéo. Le mélange Rogue-lite jeu de cartes est réalisé à la perfection et les mécaniques spécifiques aux deux genres sont parfaitement adaptées.

Les affrontements sont extrêmement intelligents et on prend un plaisir certains à torturer notre cerveau pour réaliser la stratégie la plus aboutie. Nul

Nul doute que Slay the Spire trouvera son public sur Switch, d’autant plus que le côté portable de l’hybride de Nintendo est parfait pour un jeu de ce style.
  24. Jan 7, 2020
    Wasn't sure i would like this game before I picked it up, but I'm very happy I did.

Hours disappear when I start playing this, and it always makes me want to go back in for another run to improve my strategy and obtain unlocks. If you like strategy card games and rouge likes, this is for you *Update:. I marked it down from a 9 to a 7 because after you unlock a few things, you'll end up

If you like strategy card games and rouge likes, this is for you

*Update:. I marked it down from a 9 to a 7 because after you unlock a few things, you'll end up wasting hours on failed runs and getting nothing for your effort.

Adding achievements or some xp unlock system after the initial one would be the least they could do, at this point I'm not going to be playing again til there is a big update, it's not worth the time you waste to unlock chapter 4 with no progress given after losing a run, no keys, no aesthetic unlocks, nothing, it's really poor game design in that aspect
  25. Jan 18, 2020
    An incredible game for casual and hardcore strategy gamers alike. Slay the Spire takes classic archetypes and weaves a subtle story alongside impeccably designed deckbuilding gameplay.
  26. May 31, 2020
    An outstanding deck-building game. Very challenging and rewarding. There is a great balance between randomness and the skillful application of the elements at your disposal. Four different characters are available, each with their own unique style of play. Great replayability, as no two playthroughs are the same. Highly recommended.
  27. Nov 26, 2021
    An absolute gem of a game. I’m a massive roguelike fan already but this got me into card building games as well. Once it hooks you in, you’ll be playing for hundreds of hours. Four characters and 20 difficulty ascensions to work through with all of them. Simple to play, difficult to master. Will appeal to anyone who enjoys using their brain.
  28. Jan 1, 2021
    I love this game! There is certainly some luck involved in most runs, but there are also so many risk / reward decisions along the way requiring skill and planning. You really do feel like you get better with experience and its so much fun navigating through the map, upgrading your deck on the fly and dispatching enemies as efficiently as possible. The four characters all feel differentI love this game! There is certainly some luck involved in most runs, but there are also so many risk / reward decisions along the way requiring skill and planning. You really do feel like you get better with experience and its so much fun navigating through the map, upgrading your deck on the fly and dispatching enemies as efficiently as possible. The four characters all feel different and each of them has at least 3 or 4 strategies to experiment with which provides LOTS of replay potential. I binged on this for 50 hours over a fortnight and I feel like I will regularly keep revisiting this game for months to come. Highly recommended!!! Expand
  29. Jan 2, 2021
    Great game! Easy to learn, hard to master. Perfect on Switch, to simply do a run or two from time to time. There is no story (no that I'm aware of), but there are some lore elements, which are nice to read. Gets a bit repetitive after some time, but it's still a must play!
  30. Apr 22, 2021
    Apparently there were some issues with how this game ran on the Switch at first, especially regarding the touchscreen. But now it runs great! I alternate between docked, handheld with joycons, and handheld with the touchscreen. All of these modes work well. The text is a little small for me while docked, but not to the point that it interferes with my experience. The touchscreen worksApparently there were some issues with how this game ran on the Switch at first, especially regarding the touchscreen. But now it runs great! I alternate between docked, handheld with joycons, and handheld with the touchscreen. All of these modes work well. The text is a little small for me while docked, but not to the point that it interferes with my experience. The touchscreen works better on Switch than it did on my Surface Pro. Selecting and playing cards feels good, a bit like Hearthstone on mobile.

The gameplay is also very fun and addictive. I don't normally enjoy rogue-like games, but each failed run feels more like a fair round of a card game rather than a devastating loss. I would recommend Slay the Spire, particularly on the Switch.
  31. Aug 26, 2021
    Solid game if you’re into turn based combat. It’s not an overly complex game, so it’s relatively easy to learn and it doesn’t require a lot of mastery since about half of the game is luck of the draw both in terms of your abilities and the enemies you face. The presentation of the game in terms of graphics and music is very unenthusiastic, so it will really come down to whether you likeSolid game if you’re into turn based combat. It’s not an overly complex game, so it’s relatively easy to learn and it doesn’t require a lot of mastery since about half of the game is luck of the draw both in terms of your abilities and the enemies you face. The presentation of the game in terms of graphics and music is very unenthusiastic, so it will really come down to whether you like the gameplay or not. While it works fine on the Switch, I think having this game easily accessible if you have time to kill would make it a better buy on iOS - assuming you don’t carry your Switch in your pocket everywhere you go. Expand
  32. Dec 10, 2021
    I'm addicted to this game. Each battle takes just the right amount of time. And I keep wanting to do just one more. This has led to more than one night going to sleep much later than I intended.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 20, 2019
    Slay the Spire is the high point of roguelikes with deck building. Though that may be a very small niche, the game is so good that it would be a shame to miss out on.
  2. Jul 29, 2019
    It might not be the best version of Slay the Spire, but it’s the only one you can take on the go at the moment, being ensnared in its fun, rewarding gameplay, which can lead to missing a bus stop or two on the way to work without feeling all that bad about it.
  3. Jul 10, 2019
    Although the mods are not supported as in the PC scene, the Switch version of Slay the Spire is pure bliss, a dangerously addictive roguelike card game like you've never seen before on Nintendo's console.