• Publisher: Level 5
  • Release Date: Feb 14, 2020
7.4

1. Feb 29, 2020
    It's an okay game I guess. Plays well enough, the dungeons start to feel pretty tedious after while. A little too easy and I found myself making an effort to handicap myself with lower leveled gear. There's a built in gear optimization option prior to starting a quest that makes the game insultingly easy. A borderline non existent story. The humor is pretty quirky and occasionally prettyIt's an okay game I guess. Plays well enough, the dungeons start to feel pretty tedious after while. A little too easy and I found myself making an effort to handicap myself with lower leveled gear. There's a built in gear optimization option prior to starting a quest that makes the game insultingly easy. A borderline non existent story. The humor is pretty quirky and occasionally pretty funny. Lots of adult humor for sure. The animation seems pretty fluid. The combat feels kinda clunky for a hack n slash isometric RPG. Not really sure what I was expecting, (huge Diablo fan, and this looked pretty similar) but this game's just not for me. A little too "Adventure Time" for my tastes. Okay game, would probably recommend waiting for a sale. Solid 5/10 from me. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2020
    Total: 62/100 - Level 5 games are always interesting to me and are always hit or miss. For me this is more of a miss due to it’s extremely unrewarding grind that wouldn’t be out of place in an EA, AB(Activision Blizzard) or Ubi live service. If you’re looking for better from Level 5, check out Rogue Galaxy, Fantasy life, Dragon Quest 8 or 9, and both Ni No Kuni games.

Full Score

Full Score Breakdown

Story: 5/10 - You play as a self created character and join the characters from the anime. The game pretty much covers the series. The story itself is pretty dull, but is backed up by some colorful characters.

Graphics: 7/10 - Not bad for a port of a 3DS game from 2018.

Sound: 4/10 - Some good music can be found, but the rest of it is pretty forgettable. What little voice acting there is pretty lousy. Can be played on mute.

Gameplay: 6/10 - Pretty simple controls as this was a 3DS game. The game makes it hard to level up and get great gear though, which will end up making you waste time grinding for little reward. Needing weapons that are strong against certain enemies really is a negative. Your companions are mostly useless.

Fun Factor: 6/10 - The game is fun at times. Your mileage will vary.

Stability: 9/10 - Graphics hold up pretty well. Don’t let the game go into standby or things might get weird. No sound issues I could hear.

Game Vs Service: 8/10 - Playable offline. There is multiplayer and it’s obvious they want you to do it. They get it out of their system when they introduce it, and aren’t really pushy about it after that.

Start To Finish: 5/10 - Main campaign is roughly 30 hours.

Longevity: 7/10 - Plenty of post game grinding if you decide to stick around. This score is the middle ground for people who will and won’t stay.

Worth: 5/10 - This isn’t a game for everyone. Grab it on a sale for $30 or less.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 44 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 22, 2020
    There’s a lot to digest when it comes to Snack World, and like red bean paste, you either love it or can’t stomach it. If the idea of a glorified casino with a simple battle system and insane level spikes makes your mouth water, Snack World is a dungeon crawler worth delving into. There is in fact a significant amount of content with side quests, crafting, and collecting that gives prospective explorers plenty to take part in. But the gameplay still turns up incredibly repetitive, and the smorgasbord of comedy styles makes it even more tedious getting from one dungeon to the next.
  2. Aug 19, 2020
    Overall, there really is nothing fundamentally wrong here, but with its reliance on deriving humour from treating RPG standards as dated and ripe for mockery, Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold pretty much shoots itself in the foot. Leaning into these tropes, and really investing the time into a combat system that is as much of a treat as the rest of the game could have really elevated this above a saturated market. Collecting 'Snacks' and using them as party members is fun, and a worthwhile curiosity, plus visually it has charming designs, reminiscent of Final Fantasy: My Life as a King, which both enthrals and delights. Sadly, though, without a sturdy and, more importantly, fun battle system driving this forward, this may leave a sour taste for those expecting something of the calibre of Level-5's past RPG efforts.
  3. NF Magazine
    May 1, 2020
    It's just a shame that half of the crawl is getting past the game's process – and ego. [Issue #45 – March/April 2020, p. 68]