8.7

1. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania should be praised not only for how awesome this game is but the context this project came out to existence. Sonic Mania is a product of love, a collaboration of long time sonic fans and SEGA. From Tyson Hesse animation to Tee Lopes soundtrack passing by Hyper Potion music for the trailers we can feel the passion this game tries to convey. Pagodawest, Headcanon and ChristianSonic Mania should be praised not only for how awesome this game is but the context this project came out to existence. Sonic Mania is a product of love, a collaboration of long time sonic fans and SEGA. From Tyson Hesse animation to Tee Lopes soundtrack passing by Hyper Potion music for the trailers we can feel the passion this game tries to convey. Pagodawest, Headcanon and Christian whitehead did an amazing job of balancing the gameplay and gathering the memorable stages, bosses, gimmicks that we all loved in the 16 bit sonic era and put their own signature names on it.

Sonic Mania is not only a celebration for Sonic fans but also to SEGA fans. This game is filled with Easter eggs and homages to what made SEGA beloved. Sonic Mania should be celebrated by all gamers not only because it's a very good game but also because it opens a new chapter in the gaming industry that companies like Valve used to practice and companies like Nintendo should be more lenient about (AM2R).

Sonic Mania seems a portable friendly games which seems to be a perfect fit for the Nintendo switch. The small size of the game and its high replay value makes it a potential game that will never leave your switch drive.
  2. Aug 15, 2017
    Best Sonic game ever, combines the excellent gameplay of Sonic 3 with more precision and new mechanics. The graphics are amazing everything has life and the colors are very striking! 10/10
  3. Aug 17, 2017
    This game is everything I've ever wanted out of a classic Sonic game and more. I couldn't have asked for a better game in my wildest dreams. The graphics are nice and nostalgic, they're crisp and look great. The animations are very well done. The music is absolutely phenomenal. The level design is genius and it works to allow you play how you want to play. You're able to speed through andThis game is everything I've ever wanted out of a classic Sonic game and more. I couldn't have asked for a better game in my wildest dreams. The graphics are nice and nostalgic, they're crisp and look great. The animations are very well done. The music is absolutely phenomenal. The level design is genius and it works to allow you play how you want to play. You're able to speed through and reach the end as fast as you can. You can take it slow and focus on platforming. You can explore and track that hidden special stage down. It's all here. The levels are massive. You can play the same level 3 or 4 times and not see the same things. The special stages from Sonic 3 and Knuckles return as a means to collect coins and these can give you a nice change of pace if you want to spend some time on them. They are completely optional. The new zones are chock full of set pieces and badniks to keep you enraptured and on your toes. The returning zones have over the top re-imagined layouts and obstacles in the second act. Each act is connected and allows for seamless gameplay. The bosses are all challenging and entertaining including a very special boss in Chemical Plant Zone. There are so many nods and references to obscure and well known Sonic things to keep veterans smiling the whole way through. The game is extremely long with a large amount of zones to explore. And most importantly this game feels like a classic Sonic game. It's the sequel to Sonic 3 that we've dreamed of since we were kids. This game has a little something for everyone. Veterans and newcomers alike. It's a truly masterful 2D platformer that's an absolute must-have for any fan of the genre. It has extras and side modes to keep you satiated after completing the story and it is just a blast to play. I can't recommend this game enough. If you're a fan of Sonic or 2D platformers in general you have to pick this game up. It's a steal at only $20. You won't regret your purchase. Expand
  4. BMO
    Sep 4, 2017
    This game took me way back. It fixes a lot of the gripes of old sonic games and adds a lot of routes to each stage. Music is on point with some of the songs remastered better than their older counterparts, and the new stages are familiar yet fresh and exciting. Boss fights aren't really that challenging but they're on par with older sonic games (With one special surprise). The art designThis game took me way back. It fixes a lot of the gripes of old sonic games and adds a lot of routes to each stage. Music is on point with some of the songs remastered better than their older counterparts, and the new stages are familiar yet fresh and exciting. Boss fights aren't really that challenging but they're on par with older sonic games (With one special surprise). The art design is clean, the ability to go back to stages and get the emeralds is nice, as is the fact that there are multiple bonus stages to find per stage so you don't have to go searching for one specific bonus stage to get the emeralds. For its price, you get your money's worth and then some, but unfortunately there are a few bugs in the game you might encounter that might hurt the experience. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2017
    I read that this was made to be as if it launched on Sega Saturn. If this exact game had launched on the system it would have been its saving grace. That's how good this game is. A shy from a 10. A more epic end boss would have made this perfect. I would also have liked the option to play as the Sonic 3 sprite. We play as the Sonic CD one with nicer animation.
  6. Aug 18, 2017
    This is a really great fan game. It never quite feels like a real sonic game because too much of it is just recycled from older games, and the new stuff that is in there feels just off enough to be easily recognizable as not from the original creators of sonic. The controls are just a hair too loose, sonic's hitbox is just a little too big, and the rings bounce in just the wrong way, butThis is a really great fan game. It never quite feels like a real sonic game because too much of it is just recycled from older games, and the new stuff that is in there feels just off enough to be easily recognizable as not from the original creators of sonic. The controls are just a hair too loose, sonic's hitbox is just a little too big, and the rings bounce in just the wrong way, but overall, a very solid effort. You can tell that this game was created by people that love the entire Sonic Universe (and I do mean ENTIRE). Small tweaks aside, this game really just needed to be all original content and it would have wound up being better for it, but its still a must play for old sonic fans. For newcomers, you should really return back to the originals, though, Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2017
    Como Nintendero de toda la vida pasé de Sonic y sus juegos hasta sus entregas en la Dreamcast. Por este motivo, fue una grandiosa experiencia encontrarme con el erizo azul y disfrutar del increíble juego de plataformas 2D que es Sonic Mania. Recomendadísimo si eres fan de los juegos retro, amas a SEGA o símplemente quieres ampliar tu catálogo de Switch con un juego de mucha calidad.
  8. Aug 15, 2017
    An awesome Sonic game, feels just like the 16-bit ones. It looks and sounds like Sonic CD but has better colours and more animations. The only negative thing i can say about it is that it features some levels from the old games rather than have everything made from scratch which just feels lazy.
    This is a perfect game to get for the Switch as it lets you take Sonic with you and as the game is not hardware demanding it looks just as good on the switch as any other platform.
    Buy it right now, its awesome!
  9. Oct 25, 2017
    This game is simply amazing. And I don't mean purely from a nostalgic viewpoint either, though it certainly does scratch that itch. The game plays just like the Sonic games from the past, from the legendary titles we all grew up on (assuming you're around my age lol). What's cool about this game is that it adds enough new to keep the game fresh, even when exploring levels from the past. IThis game is simply amazing. And I don't mean purely from a nostalgic viewpoint either, though it certainly does scratch that itch. The game plays just like the Sonic games from the past, from the legendary titles we all grew up on (assuming you're around my age lol). What's cool about this game is that it adds enough new to keep the game fresh, even when exploring levels from the past. I get that some people would have preferred the game to have entirely new Zones. That's understandable to say the least. But what returned is so different from the past that essentially the entire game is brand new. And I love that the Zones themselves are MASSIVE. One of the best elements of past Sonic games was exploring and finding new paths in your runs from A to B and this game definitely gives you a lot to do in that regard. The game is a great blast from the past that has new elements; certainly a very enjoyable game to say the least. Expand
  10. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic was always good. Ok maybe not. But it was a big part of my childhood. The last Sonic game i loved was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And Sonic Mania is exactly the Sonic game i've always wanted. Perfect level design, perfect soundtrack, the perfect Sonic game, 10/10.
  11. Oct 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania is meant to be a throwback to the classic, 16-bit Sonic games of the 90s and boy did it do them justice. Sonic Mania is an amazing game that does a great job of mixing the old with the new. New zones mixed in with some memorable zones from the old games made this an awesome experience. New stages like Studiopolis and Press Garden were beautiful looking stages with coolSonic Mania is meant to be a throwback to the classic, 16-bit Sonic games of the 90s and boy did it do them justice. Sonic Mania is an amazing game that does a great job of mixing the old with the new. New zones mixed in with some memorable zones from the old games made this an awesome experience. New stages like Studiopolis and Press Garden were beautiful looking stages with cool references while returning stages like Chemical Plant and Hydrocity were really awesome retro throwbacks with new twists. On top of all the stages, the game's difficulty was fair too; it was easy when it wanted to be easy and challenging when the time called for it. Sonic Mania is a really awesome game and the game Sonic really needed after his last few adventures. Any fan of Sonic, old or new, should definitely try it out. Expand
  12. Aug 16, 2017
    Soy jugador de Sonic desde Master system, y esto es lo que llevo esperando todos estos años, solo usaré una palabra para definir a este juego: Felicidad.
  13. Oct 29, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is incredible and the 2d flashback is really good idea thank you Christian Whitehead for this game but no game without cons the good is

the old zones is only a name
    this game is really hard Titanic monarch is the hardest zone
    this game is the real return of classic sonic

the cons
    1- the stages is really bad designed
    2- sonic drop dash is cheap
    3- the controls is bad

my rating 9.5/10 but no 9.5 on metacritic so I gonna give it a 9
  14. Nov 5, 2017
    This is a true sequel to the original Sonic the Hedgehog trilogy. The physics are just right and the level design is what you would expect of the era. Tee Lopes does a fantastic job with the soundtrack, my favorites being some of the boss themes. My only issues is that 4 out of the 12 zones are original and I would've loved to see more originality from this team that held many creative ideas.
  15. Sep 29, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Mania is my favorite sonic game, and I didn’t expect getting this game for my Switch

Story:
    Eggman is using a mysterious pink emerald that has a power to take you to another dimension and you have to stop him.
    The game has good and bad ending, Bad ending can be caused of beating the game normally
    And good ending after you collect all 7 chaos emeralds and then beat the game

Mania Mode:
    Mania mode is the main game where you can play as Sonic, Tails, Sonic and Tails together and lastly knuckles.
    The multiplayer is the same as 3 and knuckles with Sonic controlling the camera and Tails trying to catch up

Time Attack:
    You basically try to beat the level as fast as possible, this time the counter won’t start until you move forward and the boss battle will be ignored

Bonus Stages:
    The bonus stages are the blue sphere stages from Sonic 3 except you are rewarded with coins that can unlock extras

VS Mode:
    You basically race with player 2 with each player having his own screen

Extras:
    Extras add more to the game such as &Knuckles Mode or Mean bean or peel out from Sonic CD

Flaws:
    Sometime after beating Hydrocity Zone Act 1 the Game strangely freezes and hydrocity is not the only Zone

Should you get it
    Yes, seeing how cheap the game is, but if this is your first sonic game you won’t praise the game as a longtime fan.
  16. Aug 16, 2017
    Simplemente una gran forma de regresar con todo la de Sonic con este juego.
    Entretenido con gran diseño de niveles y variados modos de juego
    Grandioso en todos los términos de nostalgia.
  17. Oct 21, 2017
    I have been waiting 7 years for a good Sonic game (Sonic Colours) and finally I have played one. This game is just a great representation of Sonic and is as good as the originals. The level design is great and the boss fights are really fun. It can sometimes be a bit hard as I wasn't a 90s gamer but it is still fun.
  18. Nov 20, 2017
    I can't say anything about this game that hasn't already been said before. It's the best classic Sonic game hands down. My only problems with it is that the bonus stages are limited to just the blue spheres, and I wish there were more original stages. Other than that though, this game is great. I would give it a 8.5, but I'll round up because this is the 2nd Sonic game (first beingI can't say anything about this game that hasn't already been said before. It's the best classic Sonic game hands down. My only problems with it is that the bonus stages are limited to just the blue spheres, and I wish there were more original stages. Other than that though, this game is great. I would give it a 8.5, but I'll round up because this is the 2nd Sonic game (first being Unleashed) that was able to surpass my expectations. Expand
  19. Jan 20, 2018
    this to me is the best sonic game since sonic cd. the level design is amazing and the remixed zones are awesome, the sprites and animations are so good and kinda cute sometimes. the music is also amazing with Tee Lopes handling this phenomenal soundtrack! Now for the problems............none. Christian Whitehead, pagoda west, and headcannon have created the best sonic game ever!
  20. Nov 30, 2017
    Introduction: The classic 2D Sonic games are back with a mix of new, old, and remixed levels. Everything has been improved and updated for a classic Sonic game with new surprises that will keep you guess whats next. This is the Sonic game you have been waiting for since Sonic CD.

Story: The story is pretty simple but it keeps the game going along. Eggman uncovers a mysterious gem that can warp and alter reality. You try to get the gem from him but a group of mysterious robot also want the gem. This gem is responsible for taking you to levels from the past that are completely different from what you remember. They also take you to new zones to explore. Throughout the story, you will fight Eggman with robots that he has used in the past with remixed attacks and you will also fight the new robots in crazy scenarios that could not be possible in the older games. The story helps make this new Sonic adventure feel fresh even though it's like the original Sonic games from the 90's.

Gameplay: Run and jump just like you always have in Sonic games prior. The only new addition to Sonic arsenal of moves in the dash drop which helps you gain speed back up if you have lost it. This moves fixes some of the slower parts original Sonic games have had. The other thing that is new to the gameplay is the bonus stages. During these stages, you are trying to get a chaos emerald by collecting balls and rings that help you speed up to catch the emerald. These stages are a nice addition to the standard sonic gameplay we all know and love.

Technicals: The animation presented in this game are amazing. Such detail was put into every frame of this game. This animation makes cutscenes and the game as a whole really pop out. The soundtrack of new and old remixes are amazing as well. Every ounce of this game is bleeding with passion from the original 3 games and should be commended for such.

Conclusion: If you love fast platformers or Sonic in general, then this is a must buy game. This game is a celebration of what made Sonic good all those years ago and improves on the originals in every way, shape, and form. This game is the first in the Sonic franchise to become a masterpiece
  21. Aug 15, 2017
    I absolutely love this game. Wow wow wow

This is the real Sonic 4.

The games feels fresh yet nostalgic, something that other revived titles like Crash Bandicoot couldnt do.
  22. Aug 15, 2017
    It's EVERYTHING a Sonic game should be. I've been waiting years for this game. I sure hope this tell to Sega what we really want. A 2D classic sonic. HD sprites? yes. 3D "Yeah yeah"? NOPE. Amazing game!
  23. Aug 15, 2017
    The light of day for this franchise has finally came after all these years being treated by two failures, many mixed bags, and a few goods this far. With Sonic Mania, newcomers and veterans alike are now to experience the classic days where it was just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters and those three plus Eggman/Robotnik as the only main characters after more than twentyThe light of day for this franchise has finally came after all these years being treated by two failures, many mixed bags, and a few goods this far. With Sonic Mania, newcomers and veterans alike are now to experience the classic days where it was just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters and those three plus Eggman/Robotnik as the only main characters after more than twenty years of never receiving a classical 2D installment. This game combines elements seen in Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles to give us the ultimate surprise no one was expecting to see since the release of Sonic & Knuckles. It's always great to see a franchise go back to their roots rather than trying a new way to impress their fans. If you are a Nintendo Switch owner, it is very recommended to get Sonic Mania on the system that's best suited for it. Expand
  24. Aug 17, 2017
    This game is really well made.

This is what every sonic should be. Perfect. It can please everyone, from younger to older and nostalgic gamers.

The new stages are awesome. I don't know what else to say, just play this work of art.
  25. Aug 17, 2017
    This is a game that shows some things:

1. People giving negative reviews because they dont want the blue blur to be back.
    2. That Sonic/SEGA games are always better on the Nintendo consoles
    3. That Sonic is finally back.
  26. Aug 16, 2017
    Didn't hold much hope for this title and to be quite honest I have grown used to being dissapointed by Sonic games. NOT THIS TIME !! Game is glorious, fast, retro and everything I could have wished for from a sonic game.

Being old enough to have been brought up with a Master System and Mega Drive (Genesis) this title threw me back to the early 90's all over again. Levels are large with a good mix of fast pace and platforming just like the originals but better now the dev's have extra grunt available to them. the controls and feel of Sonic on screen are very similar to that of the original and remain tight throughout.

I'm chuffed to bits that wefinally got what feels and plays like Sonic 4.

Kudos to the development team, you nailed it and made many fans both young and old very happy indeed.
  27. Aug 15, 2017
    A true Sonic the Hedgehog sequel.

This game does an amazing job to feel fresh yet nostalgic. It contains remixes of original levels, but whilst still being different. The visuals keep it like the originals but which sequel level improvements to feel still modern. The design of it is brilliant in general. Each character follows a slightly different viewpoint. Each character is unique
    A true Sonic the Hedgehog sequel.

The design of it is brilliant in general. Each character follows a slightly different viewpoint. Each character is unique like in the originals.

Boss and level design are uniquely different, but keeps to its original style. The levels are still different, so you have to learn new routes and places, so it's not just a dull rehash of the originals. They are difficult and feel more challenging.

Overall I give this game a recommend. If you liked the old games, then this will feel like a new but all the while the same.
  28. Aug 15, 2017
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the best Sonic game ever made. It's about 20 years late, but we finally have a worthwhile sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. This is exactly what Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should have been.

This wasn't made by Sonic Team, instead it was made by fans who were hired by Sega. The love the team has for the originals is everywhere in the game. The game plays very similarly to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Playing this game you can see just how timeless the original formula was. People seem to forget after one bad 3D Sonic after another(although I was a pretty big fan of Colors and Generations) that this was once a brilliant series. Some people have fooled themselves into thinking Sonic was never good. This is complete crap, and this game proves the original formula holds up today.

The graphics are bit more advanced than the Genesis version, it's more on par with with the 32x. Everything looks great, it's full of color and personality. We get three heavily remixed versions of Green Hill Zone, Chemical Plant Zone, and Oil Rig zone with plenty of new features. The rest of the levels are pretty much original, though some of them share similarities to classic Sonic levels. There are 12 stages in total, which is one less than Sonic 3 and Knuckles. There are two Acts per stage and a secret Final Boss. You'll get a few very familiar bosses, although they've been significantly changed. We even get a couple bosses from the Game Gear games. Fortunately the Sonic 2 Game Gear boss is not one of the Dark Souls DLC-tier difficult ones. The boss design is better than all of the Genesis Sonics, and every single act has a boss fight. Many of the bosses have more than one stage, making things very interesting. The bosses aren't just the only thing that has been improved. The levels are now even more creative than the ones in the originals. Sonic Mania is just an improvement of the Sonic 3 and Knuckles formula, which in and of itself is one the top 100 games of all time in my opinion. It feels like a natural evolution of the series. This should have been Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

The difficulty is just right. It's starts off pretty easy, but gets harder halfway through the game. Tales is the easiest character to play since he can just fly over obstacles, and you may want to pick him first unless you want more of challenge. Knuckles can glide and climb. Sonic can use the special abilities of shields. You can also play Sonic and Tails. It may not be obvious at first, but you can actually control Tales a bit and allow him to lift Sonic to otherwise unreachable places. Sonic and Tails have the same levels. However, I've only played the first two levels for Knuckles, but the Green Hill Zone is different for him and designed around his climbing ability. I think overall there will be some differences in the levels for Knuckles, much like in Sonic 3.

If you run out of lives in this game you go back to Act 1 of that stage. This is a fairly big death penalty, though not nearly as bad as Sonic 2 where the final boss was absurdly difficult and if you died you went back to the beginning of the game. You'll be trying as hard as you can to get 100 rings for an extra life to use against the fairly difficult bosses. Prepare to get 90-99 rings and then lose all of them. There are also hidden lives in the levels. All of this encourages you to be careful and also explore the levels. If you explore you'll also find the special stages which are similar to the ones in Sonic CD. Also, the globe special stages from Sonic 3 make a return.

The levels are huge and multi-layered so when you play them again you can take a completely different path. This adds replay value, which is good because the game is on the short side. You're probably looking at about 5-6 hours to beat it the first time. This a game though that you'll want to play again immediately after beating it, with another character.

The game is only $20, and frankly I can't think of a better way to spend $20 right now. Sonic 3 and Knuckles required you to buy 2 $50 games and hook them together, so adjusted for inflation Sonic 3 and Knuckles was $161 dollars. Now you know why kids in the 90s didn't own an extensive library of video games. Renting them over a weekend for a couple dollars was a lot more common.

In conclusion, Sonic Mania is practically flawless. I can't think of anything bad to say about this game. It's one of the best side-scrollers ever made. It's even better than any of the recent side-scrolling Nintendo games like Donkey Kong or New Super Mario Bros. It makes up for the short length with huge amounts of replay value. It deserves a perfect 10 out 10.
  29. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a fantastically well made game, not just because of the gameplay, but also because of the insane amount of detail and thought put into all aspects of the game. The gorgeous animation from Tyson Hesse taking inspiration from Sonic CD's introduction blows you away right from the start. The music from Tee Lopes is phenomenal, it fits the stages nearly perfectly. The beautifulSonic Mania is a fantastically well made game, not just because of the gameplay, but also because of the insane amount of detail and thought put into all aspects of the game. The gorgeous animation from Tyson Hesse taking inspiration from Sonic CD's introduction blows you away right from the start. The music from Tee Lopes is phenomenal, it fits the stages nearly perfectly. The beautiful sprite work is one of my favorite things about the game. For a $20 price tag, this game goes beyond and deserves more. Sonic Mania is a large recommendation from me and is a great introduction to the classic series. However, if you didn't like the original classics, don't bother. Overall a great title. Expand
  30. Aug 15, 2017
    I usually don't write reviews but if you were a 90's kid, this is like Sonic on the Genesis...In some ways it's better because of the portability of the Switch. I had a Game Gear and the Sonic games were not that good for it, so this is a pretty awesome tribute to the fans.
  31. Aug 17, 2017
    I’m going to be honest, I had no plan in picking up this game for my Nintendo Switch, but when I saw gameplay of Sonic Mania on YouTube I couldn’t hold in my excitement for how beautiful this game looks. So I went out and bought it first thing!

Sonic Mania is a beautiful game brought down to us from the heavens by VERY talented developers! The game sends us back to when sonic was a fast 2D side scrolling beast! Adding in crazy new levels, new intense and difficult bosses, new abilities, new mechanics such as the drop dash, and beautiful, astounding new sprites, models, and backgrounds for the game!

I think the main thing that surprised me about Sonic Mania, is all the well hidden references within the game! Sonic Mania really makes me want to explore the game and discover all its hidden secrets, but at the same time, it makes me want to be a speed demon!

The game runs beautifully on Nintendo Switch, staying at a smooth, constant frame rate for me, when docked and when in handheld mode. I however personally enjoy using handheld mode the most, due to how I can play Sonic Mania while making my daily commute to school, or for when I have a really long car ride!

I see no major flaws with Sonic Mania so far, and I hope to see the game get more content in the feature!

I definetly recommend that any old time Sonic fans pick up Sonic Mania and give it ago! Sonic Mania is currently available for Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and PS4! And is making its way to PC very very soon! All for 20$!
  32. Aug 16, 2017
    This game is simply great. Sonic FINALLY is back. What SEGA has done hiring Christian Whitehead as a new developer has been great, hope they dont fire it, but join him to Sonic Team.
  33. Aug 15, 2017
    I like the Gameeeee, I love it. Sonic returns whit a very very very very very very gooooooooood gameeeeee. Buy noww. and better in nintendo switch. Buyyyyyyyyyy
  34. Aug 22, 2017
    I played the original Sonic when I was 6, now, 12 years later I gave Sonic one more chance and it didn't dissapointed me.

First of all, the price: perfect. No complaints here. The graphics: DO NOT GET UPSET ABOUT THE 16 BIT GRAPHICS UNTIL YOU PLAY THE GAME. Gameplay: fast, so fast. There are not boring seccions like in past games. Length: it is what it is, a Sega Genesis game...so

First of all, the price: perfect. No complaints here.
    Gameplay: fast, so fast. There are not boring seccions like in past games.
    Length: it is what it is, a Sega Genesis game...so don't expect a 100 hour aventure.

It's a love letter
  35. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania is the perfect throwback to the original Sonic games. It has that original play style and feel, but with new and exciting levels. This is the game that should have came after Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
  36. Aug 19, 2017
    Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game in years. The game has beautiful sprites, a phenomenal soundtrack,
    And much content. The only things that disappoint me is that some acts are too similar to the previous classic sonic games and the final boss isnt that suprising. Overal Sonic Mania is a must have for Sonic fans and people who like 2d platform games.
  37. Aug 19, 2017
    It´s pretty impossible to mention something that Sonic Mania have done wrong. It doesn´t try to be "modern", but still has a lot of charm, visual and playable quality, great soundtrack (long life Tee Lopes) and original boss fights. My only complain are the rehashed levels, which were a lot compared to the original ones. But even though, those old levels feel as good as new, because of theIt´s pretty impossible to mention something that Sonic Mania have done wrong. It doesn´t try to be "modern", but still has a lot of charm, visual and playable quality, great soundtrack (long life Tee Lopes) and original boss fights. My only complain are the rehashed levels, which were a lot compared to the original ones. But even though, those old levels feel as good as new, because of the new ideas that give a complete new perspective of the game. I would say it´s better than the 90´s games, but this has the hardware on his side. Maybe if they would made 50% original and rehash levels, it would be a pretty fair balance. The new stage "Studiopolis" is mind blowing, Press Garden isn´t far from that, Mirage Saloon is so unique, and Titanic Monarch is outstanding with the new platform paths. The old ones, as I said, are more fresh here, but I still think the inclusion of Sky Chase in Mirage Saloon and Metallic Madness were a little off. Bosses are incredibly unique, and all that stuff but what it really counts is the gameplay. A smooth, fast-paced side scroller with the ability of being simple, but fun. Play this game in any platform, if you wanna know what´s good Expand
  38. Sep 19, 2017
    Bla bla bla, i wrote my review but got erased so i wont repeat it, trust my word. I dont remember what i wrote and i took such a long time that i dont remember.
  39. May 31, 2018
    This is a Sonic game that follows exactly what makes the original games so good Sonic 1 was the debut, Sonic 2 defined what Sonic was about Speed, Sonic CD introduced the Time Travel Mechanic which still makes the game play fresh and of course Sonic 3 and Knuckles this was my first Sonic Game and holy **** this is a clear definition of a perfect Sonic game everything about it from theThis is a Sonic game that follows exactly what makes the original games so good Sonic 1 was the debut, Sonic 2 defined what Sonic was about Speed, Sonic CD introduced the Time Travel Mechanic which still makes the game play fresh and of course Sonic 3 and Knuckles this was my first Sonic Game and holy **** this is a clear definition of a perfect Sonic game everything about it from the Music to the story and the way you control the three characters. Sonic Mania combines everything and that's what makes it the definitive Sonic game everything is here if I to recommend a Sonic Game it would be this One. Expand
  40. Aug 17, 2017
    At 30 years old and being a gamer all my life, it takes a lot to impress me and the sole reason why I bought this game is because I wanted to get the same feeling of being 3 years old playing my first sonic game in the 90's with my brother. The moment when I got to the stage of Sonic being on the flying battery and hearing the same music with a bit a hint of remix, all the nostalgicAt 30 years old and being a gamer all my life, it takes a lot to impress me and the sole reason why I bought this game is because I wanted to get the same feeling of being 3 years old playing my first sonic game in the 90's with my brother. The moment when I got to the stage of Sonic being on the flying battery and hearing the same music with a bit a hint of remix, all the nostalgic feelings came at once and I felt 3 again.

Sonic Mania delivers the most authentic modern 90's game i have ever played. Almost every stage starts off like the original classics but completely the more you progress. The sonic characters have the exact animations with new welcoming ones. The boss battles feel just as exciting and innovative. And if there is anyone who has played all the original Sonics countlessly as a kid and remember all the secret locations--- well guess what? You will be rewarded. To wrap things up, Sonic Mania is a fantastic buy for 19.99 and anyone who grew up in my generation would absolutely love this game.

41. Aug 18, 2017
    Sonic Mania does a fantastic job at recapturing the magic the original Genesis Sonic games have, and all future predecessors have failed to capture.

While Sonic has gone through a rough identity crisis for most of his life now, Sonic Mania brings him back to his roots, resulting in a game filled with charm and love. Everything is at its best here. The graphics are wonderfully animated and vibrant, resulting in easily one of the best looking Sonic games. The level design is top notch, with a perfect mixture of speed and platforming. The best part of the game however, has to be the music. It is comprised of both renditions of older songs and brand new songs, which all sound fantastic, resulting in easily one of the best soundtracks ever seen in a Sonic game.

However, the game is not without its flaws, even though there are very few. Right off the bat, the game can be somewhat glitchy. Throughout my two playthroughs (one as Sonic + Tails, and one as Knuckles), I've ran into issues such as getting stuck inside of walls, having UFO bonus stages think I've fallen outside of the stage when I have not, and having the music cut out after getting an invincibility power up or a 1 up.

Another flaw the game has is how some of the recreated levels feel very similar to their original counterparts by relying on nostalgia too much, most notably, the Act 1 segments. While nearly every Act 2 manages to feel like a new experience and filled with surprises (Chemical Plant Zone's Act 2 boss easily being the best surprise of the bunch), a lot of the re-imagined Act 1 stages don't feel all that reimagined, and instead feel more like something you may find in an elaborate ROM hack. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, for games like Sonic Generations do similar things and the levels themselves still feel fantastic, but having some of that Act 2 charm in the Act 1 stages would've made the experience feel a bit more new. However, I'm just nitpicking, as anyone looking for nostalgia or a mix of nostalgia and new will be extremely satisfied in what they're getting. The game feels like it has so much potential to do all sorts of new and crazy stuff, but had to be held back in order for Act 1 stages.

Overall, Sonic Mania is a return of glory for the blue hedgehog and friends, and I am incredibly hopeful for a future Sonic Mania 2 or something of the like.
  42. Aug 18, 2017
    Grając w Sonic manie przypominają się stare, nostalgiczne czasy, kiedy ogrywało się starsze części niebieskiego jeża. Godna polecenia wszystkim fanom Sonica.
  43. Nov 11, 2017
    El mejor plataformas 2d que he jugado, ¡Sonic ha vuelto!. Encima jugar esto en nintendo switch es una verdadera gosada, Sega se la marco con este juego.
    Tiene mi 10.
  44. Aug 16, 2017
    I already talk about how great this game is on my PS4 review of this. But in addition to all all that, the fact that you can play this great game on the go is...well great. This was a good game to start out Sonic with in the Switch's library.
  45. Aug 18, 2017
    Fantastic game! The best Sonic game I have played since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, infact, I think Sonic Mania is better than the original trilogy + Sonic CD.
  46. Aug 18, 2017
    This is a amazing sonic game the zones are fun, soundtrack is amazing, sometimes I go to a different act in the same zone i hear a different soundtrack, the dash is cool, and boss battles are fun well some of them. The special stages are fun well some of them the ones I hate are 4 and 5 ones they are frustrating to play but ones you beat em you feel good I use to hate em really much tbh.This is a amazing sonic game the zones are fun, soundtrack is amazing, sometimes I go to a different act in the same zone i hear a different soundtrack, the dash is cool, and boss battles are fun well some of them. The special stages are fun well some of them the ones I hate are 4 and 5 ones they are frustrating to play but ones you beat em you feel good I use to hate em really much tbh. But if go to debug mode you could access the special stages without looking for them and then you could practice and then ones you find them in your play through you could beat them easily. Expand
  47. Aug 18, 2017
    Aufgrund meiner geilen Englisch-Skills kommt meine Bewertung auf Deutsch:

Aufgrund meiner geilen Englisch-Skills kommt meine Bewertung auf Deutsch:

Sonic Mania ist ein neuer Versuch von Sega, wieder ein geiles Sonic, nach Generations, auf den Markt zu bringen. Diesmal haben sie das Spiel aber von Fans entwickeln lassen. Das Spiel besitzt einen Nostalgischen 16bit Stil und sieht wunderschön aus. Die Leveldesigns sind einfach nur schön und die Level machen auch Spaß. Die Bosse sind zum Teil leicht, aber auch zum Teil schwer. Kommt drauf an welcher Boss. Die einzigen zwei Kritikpunkte wären, dass wenn ich den HOME-Button drücke, es knapp drei Sekunden braucht bis ich im Menü bin. Der zweite Kritikpunkt ist, dass man den "Mania-Modus" nicht zusammen zocken kann. Aber trotz den zwei Kritikpunkten ändert das nicht meine Bewertung. Kauft es euch!
  48. Aug 17, 2017
    In 1994, I played one of the greatest Sonic games of all time: Sonic & Knuckles. Then in 1996 Mario 64 came out and it looked amazing. Since then I had always wanted to play a 3D follow-up to Sonic & Knuckles.

On 9/9/99 I got my wish. It was a fantastic game for the time. The amazing graphics helped me to overlook all of the problems in the game. With each successive Sonic game, I kept buying them, playing them, and becoming less and less excited. Finally in 2006, Sega released a Sonic game so awful that I finally realized what I really wanted the whole time. Sonic 4. And not just a game named Sonic 4, but a true successor to Sonic & Knuckles.

Sonic Mania is that game. Sonic Mania is the true Sonic 4. Other than a few non-"game breaking" bugs it delivers. The physics are perfect. Every level is fun and creative. Every song is both familiar, but new. And the surprises kept a permanent smile on my face.

If you enjoyed Sonic in the 90s, you must play this game.
  49. Aug 18, 2017
    Sonic Mania is truly the sequel to Sonic & Knuckles old sonic fans have been waiting for. It is the perfect blend of new and old with the old pixel art style graphics, stages from sonic 1, 2, 3, &Knuckles as well as brand new stages and great music to boot. The later special stages are challenging but not impossible. Every 1st act has a mini boss and every 2nd act has a main boss.

I

I found the later stages to have a lot more gameplay with a lot more platforming sequences than running sequences. And therefore, old terrible game players like me likely found themselves running out of time before the bosses in the final zone, haha.

Overall, very good game. If you liked the old sonics, you'll love this. Let's just hope Sonic Forces can live up to Mania.
  50. Aug 18, 2017
    Before starting I have no idea how to rate an idea as great as this

We start with the predecessors like the hated sonic boom and sonic lost world, sega attempts to make great games but unfortunately fail loudly Now talking about sonic mania I have nothing more to say that it is a simple project of love of fans for fans of the blue hedgehog All levels ARE amazing and it's really
    Before starting I have no idea how to rate an idea as great as this

All levels ARE amazing and it's really cool to go back to green hill zone again but old people do not live and sonic knows it so they added new levels

The gameplay is fresh and intuitive right from the start

The graphics are incredible drawn directly from sega genesis and polished by christian whithead

The music is perfect and I even say this to the level of other legendary sonar bands like zelda

Summary: Finally, this is the best sonic I've ever had the luck to play and possibly one of the best platforms I've ever played in my life.

Money does not do what the fun does
  51. Aug 19, 2017
    Havent played a sonic game this good in years, amazing nostalgia, enjoyed every bit of it (bosses were a little weak in some cases) but overall a fantastic game. Level design would have to be in my honest opinion better than the classic sonic games, love the smooth 60fps and hope that we see a Sonic Mania 2 in the near future. 2 thumbs all the way up
  52. Jan 10, 2018
    This has to be the best Sonic game i have played since Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Everything about this game from the music to the level design to the new zones is perfectly rolled into one tight package. I can't think of a single thing wrong with this game... Other than it put classic sonic in forces. Other than that the game is a well crafted masterpiece.
  53. Dec 15, 2017
    Probably the best classic 2D Sonic game in recent memory since Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I can honestly say that you won't regret it when you play this game.
  54. Nov 25, 2017
    This is the first "Classic" styled Sonic game I've actually played. Having started with Sonic Adventure, I was surprised by the simplicity of the controls. Also, rather than immediately running fast as you do in the 3D games, you have to build momentum. I kept thinking I was missing something in the gameplay - for example, the homing attack is absent (which I've since learned is almostThis is the first "Classic" styled Sonic game I've actually played. Having started with Sonic Adventure, I was surprised by the simplicity of the controls. Also, rather than immediately running fast as you do in the 3D games, you have to build momentum. I kept thinking I was missing something in the gameplay - for example, the homing attack is absent (which I've since learned is almost exclusively a 3D Sonic mechanic).

All in all, I like Sonic Mania quite a bit. There was a bit of a learning curb from what I was used to, but beyond that I had a good time. My only real complaint is that in some of the environments it's hard to differentiate platforms from certain background elements (which you can't stand on). This never resulted in an unfair death, but there were plenty of unintentional diversions in the path I thought I was on into new areas that would send me zooming all over the place. Somewhat disorienting to say the least, though - weirdly - this was never as annoying as it may sound.
  55. Aug 18, 2017
    An amazing nostalgia trip clearly made by a group of people who truly loved the subject matter. This game is similar in look and feel to Sonic and Kunuckles from the Genesis era, but adds quite a few more things to the table to make it a fully fledged game. While there are remixes of past famous levels like Green Hill zone and the Chemical Plant, each Act 2 of those levels includes a brandAn amazing nostalgia trip clearly made by a group of people who truly loved the subject matter. This game is similar in look and feel to Sonic and Kunuckles from the Genesis era, but adds quite a few more things to the table to make it a fully fledged game. While there are remixes of past famous levels like Green Hill zone and the Chemical Plant, each Act 2 of those levels includes a brand new way to get through it as well as an amazing new soundtrack for each Act of each Zone. And truly the music in this game is top notch and some of the best I've heard in a long time. Each level is so well done that it makes the pretty hard difficulty level passable. Plus the new added secret levels that harken back to Sonic CD are fun and challenging ways to get the Chaos Emeralds in the game. The game is also just 20 bucks! I'd prob recommend playing it on the Switch to take it on the go but the trophies/achievements for the other systems can add alot of replay to the game. While it will really only take 3-4 hours per story mode once you figure out the levels, there are 4 different ways to play it. I can't recommend this enough to old school Sonic fans. With how bad some Sonic games have been recently, this is truly a breath of fresh air. Expand
  56. Oct 1, 2017
    What more can be said about this than what others have already chimed on here... it just plays like a love letter to the Megadrive Sonic that we all wish his newer 3d games have been for the last decade or two.

Only tiny issue here... there is an achievement to be earned apparently for getting Gold in all 32 of the bonus stages, however since the Switch doesn't have any form of achievement system then for us users on Switch all you gain from completing the game 100% is.... nothing, Silver medals are enough to unlock everything in the game, Gold only exist for the achievement like I said... which doesn't exist on the platform only on PC/PS4/X1 bit of a shame.

Otherwise this is just glorious from start to finish.
  57. Nov 10, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a big nostalgia trip for fans the grew up with the blue blur in the Genesis era, and it's done with a lot of care and a lot of love. To cut to the chase, Sonic Mania reminded me why I love Sonic the Hedgehog. Levels have a great sense of speed to them with lots to explore and find loads of cool extras. Special stages are interestingly designed and are one of the betterSonic Mania is a big nostalgia trip for fans the grew up with the blue blur in the Genesis era, and it's done with a lot of care and a lot of love. To cut to the chase, Sonic Mania reminded me why I love Sonic the Hedgehog. Levels have a great sense of speed to them with lots to explore and find loads of cool extras. Special stages are interestingly designed and are one of the better designed in the series. Having a long awaited return of Tails and Knuckles as playable characters is very welcomed and adds some great replay-ability to the levels, and which so much inside jokes and references to everything and any thing Sonic. If you're looking for a great return to form for the hedgehog, Sonic Mania is on the same level of quality as Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations and deserves your attention and support. Expand
  58. Aug 15, 2017
    Finally a classic Sonic game wich builds upon the classic trilogy and Sonic CD and results in something both fresh and nostalgic. Thank goodness for Christian Whitehead and kudos to SEGA for letting a passionate and talented fan create the best 2D Sonic game in ages! SEGA still does what Nintendon't.
    9 out of 10 because there are small issues that can be ironed out, mostly caused by sticking to the classic Sonic design philosophy. I.e. sometimes you still crash into enemies because of the ridiculous speed or sometimes the backgroung and foreground elements are kinda confusing... nitpicky stuff.
  59. Aug 19, 2017
    Fresh level design, even in old zones. While there are only 4 new zones in the game, the old zones are reinterpreted to add vastly different content and new stage design. Mania is a blast through and through.
  60. Aug 21, 2017
    Most of the time, Sonic Mania is bloody near perfect, and all complaints are relatively minor. I genuinely hope Sega keeps hiring fans to develop games for them, because this is a product that understands its audience, and it understands what made the franchise successful to begin with.

Pros: -great art direction and use of color -great soundtrack -great level design -tight controls

Pros:
    -great art direction and use of color
    -great soundtrack
    -great level design
    -tight controls (with one exception)
    -loads of secrets
    -loads of replayability
    -loads of bonus stages
    -character sprites are very expressive
    -only $20 means a lot of bang for your buck factor

Cons:
    -new bonus stages for collecting chaos emeralds are shaky. The hit detection is wonky and controls aren't very tight
    -half the game is upgraded retreads of older games, when I was more interested in the new ideas they introduced than the classic stuff (though that isn't a big deal since most people are buying this knowing it's essentially an improved retread)
    -the extras are a little lackluster
    -the new/remixed jingles and sound effects for completing/collecting things (collecting emeralds, completing bonus stages, getting an invincibility monitor, getting an extra life) don't sound very "satisfying," if that makes any sense. The sound effects/jingles in the older games sound evoke a satisfied feeling when you hear them, much like the discovery jingle in the Zelda games, but these new jingles don't evoke that same feeling, I'm not sure why.

Overall, it's a great game I highly recommend, unless you really just hate the older Sonic games back when they were good, in which case this won't convert you.
  61. Aug 17, 2017
    This... is GODLY
    I can't believe this game really exists
    All the hype... it was WORTH IT
    I don't know if it's better than S3&K but it's at least on the same level
  62. Aug 29, 2017
    Cool game, very nostalgic, but the glitch with the home menu, and also the lag in control input, makes me not even want to turn the game on anymore. It feels like my Switch is going to break when ever I want to go back to the home menu.... Hope they fix it soon, so I can play it.
  63. Sep 3, 2017
    This game recreates Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience very, very faithfully. Graphics, controls, everything feels the same, yet very improved - new useful jump dash ability makes Sonic's gameplay a lot more fluent, and the sprites are just gorgeous - everything runs butter smoothes without hiccups or slowdowns, which for such a fast gameplay is impressive. The only downside is not having levelThis game recreates Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience very, very faithfully. Graphics, controls, everything feels the same, yet very improved - new useful jump dash ability makes Sonic's gameplay a lot more fluent, and the sprites are just gorgeous - everything runs butter smoothes without hiccups or slowdowns, which for such a fast gameplay is impressive. The only downside is not having level transitions - it's a shame, since it's the only thing that original did a better job with. Expand
  64. Aug 31, 2017
    Sonic Mania takes the 1980s classic to the next level. For those familiar with the franchise, this throwback will astound in its massive worlds, creative updates, and faithfulness to the original. I am in awe of the artistic and technical genius that brought forth a new gaming masterpiece. Truly, this labor of love is a gift to the gaming community.

With that said, just like the

With that said, just like the original Sonic it starts out easy and then you die a lot, as it should be.
  65. Sep 6, 2017
    Simply the best 2D Sonic game to date, that in my opinion of course.
    Aside from excellent, and I mean super excellent level design, extremely catchy music, and adorable graphics, the gameplay is just like the older 2D Sonic games, but feels smoother. It's seriously great, try it out!
  66. Aug 20, 2017
    I'm a big Sonic fan ever since the day that the original Sonic the Hedgehog came out on the Genesis and this game is even better. I only wish that there would be a physical release!
  67. Dec 1, 2017
    Ah yes, Sonic Mania.... a game, my first time playing through, I encountered many glitches that required me to actually restart the game. This, of course, hindered the overall experience. However, I played through it multiple times because of the excellent graphics, music and levels... I was enthralled; intrigued I might even add.
  68. Aug 31, 2017
    Sonic Mania is an amazing flashback game to the 1990's back when Sonic the Hedgehog was it's prime. Sega hiring Christian Whitehead and his team was the best thing that could've be done to this game and he delivered. The level design is fantastic with massive world views; making you want to re-play previous levels to find secrets or alternative paths. The music (composed by Tee Lopes) isSonic Mania is an amazing flashback game to the 1990's back when Sonic the Hedgehog was it's prime. Sega hiring Christian Whitehead and his team was the best thing that could've be done to this game and he delivered. The level design is fantastic with massive world views; making you want to re-play previous levels to find secrets or alternative paths. The music (composed by Tee Lopes) is also a great feature to the game as well mixing classic sonic music with newer tones to create upbeat and catchy themes. This game is a must have for anyone who likes platformers or casual games that was made by sonic fans, for sonic fans. Expand
  69. Dec 26, 2017
    Not only one of the best Sonic games available but also one of the most enjoyable 2d platformers. The reason for this is due to the great level design (for the most part) which allows the player to move fast but has platforming that feels fair. The bosses are mixed bag though as some were annoying to face(OIL ocean boss) where as others are a joy to fight due to their unique design andNot only one of the best Sonic games available but also one of the most enjoyable 2d platformers. The reason for this is due to the great level design (for the most part) which allows the player to move fast but has platforming that feels fair. The bosses are mixed bag though as some were annoying to face(OIL ocean boss) where as others are a joy to fight due to their unique design and throwbacks to earlier games (metal Sonic). Another issue I personally have with the game is how it handles lives as if you run out of lives at a boss you need to redo act 1 and 2 to get to the boss making it take longer to learn the boss patterns. Despite the flaws mentioned this game is great and made even better when compared to recent Sonic games. Expand
  70. Oct 29, 2017
    90’s goodness with top notch control, amazing tracks and some of the best level design in a sonic game. The amount of re used stages although don’t ruin but still effect the game. A must buy for fans of the blue blur as well for any one who likes platformers.
  71. Aug 18, 2017
    Disparado o melhor jogo de Sonic nos ultimos anos e o melhor em 16-bits.
    fases criativas, Bosses incriveis e musicas lindas, jogo perfeito!
    É mais um jogo que não se enjoa facilmente
  72. Aug 16, 2017
    O melhor sonic de sempre, feito pelos fãs mais entusiastas e contém uma excelente trilha sonora e gráficos, diversão garantida.
    Absolutamente fantástico 10/10
  73. Sep 20, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a game for fans made by fans but it isn’t a fan game. It’s a symbol of what can happen when you connect with your community to make something special. I preordered the Collector's edition for PC and was so hyped to play it I bought it on Switch as well during the 2 week delay on PC. First of all this game looks amazing. It has some of the best sprite work in any game I haveSonic Mania is a game for fans made by fans but it isn’t a fan game. It’s a symbol of what can happen when you connect with your community to make something special. I preordered the Collector's edition for PC and was so hyped to play it I bought it on Switch as well during the 2 week delay on PC. First of all this game looks amazing. It has some of the best sprite work in any game I have ever seen and has so much detail spread across the sprawling zones. Each level is massive and intricate but I never found myself lost. Every zone rewards mastery of the game's mechanics and knowledge of the zones. Secrets are super rewarding to find and the new special stage to get the chaos emeralds is super fun. The soundtrack is fantastic! There isn’t a bad track in the entire game. The bosses for the most part are really fun and clever (especially chemical plant act 2 boss). Sonic controls very well and so does Tails and Knuckles as they truly nailed the feeling of the original games. There so much to unlock and do in a $20 game it’s magnificent. However not everything is perfect. The blue sphere mini game still isn’t fun, the oil rig octopus boss is fairly annoying, and the steam version has DRM. Other than that there really isn’t anything to complain about here. If you like platformers you have to get this game. I personally don’t think it’s the best Sonic game but it’s the most consistent game in the franchise and is guaranteed fun. Expand
  74. May 27, 2018
    The original levels that have been reimagined are a lot of fun but the real treat here are the brand new stages, Studiopolis Zone sticks in my mind as being particularly excellent. Gameplay is bang on and the graphics are gorgeous, but the music....oh my god it’s incredible I want the soundtrack! This is the Sonic we have been waiting for, just sack Team Sonic and use Christian WhiteheadThe original levels that have been reimagined are a lot of fun but the real treat here are the brand new stages, Studiopolis Zone sticks in my mind as being particularly excellent. Gameplay is bang on and the graphics are gorgeous, but the music....oh my god it’s incredible I want the soundtrack! This is the Sonic we have been waiting for, just sack Team Sonic and use Christian Whitehead from now on, SEGA :) Expand
  75. May 15, 2018
    Didn't care much for one of the bonus games and the co-op, which is a shame. However, everything else about this game is awesome. From the music, level design, art-style, game-play, all of it is just amazing.
  76. Sep 10, 2017
    This game can't get any better. It suits to any old school sonic player, and newcomers. I highly recommend buying it if you own the console and won't mind spending just a bit for a totally priceworthy game
  77. Nov 6, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a game that knows its target audience and catered to their every hope to nigh on absolute perfection. Those who grew up with Sonic in the 90's have wanted this game for a long time and the only complaint anyone could make is that more new Zones would have been nice. Still that is not going to stop me from giving Sonic Mania a perfect score because from tip to tail the gameSonic Mania is a game that knows its target audience and catered to their every hope to nigh on absolute perfection. Those who grew up with Sonic in the 90's have wanted this game for a long time and the only complaint anyone could make is that more new Zones would have been nice. Still that is not going to stop me from giving Sonic Mania a perfect score because from tip to tail the game is a labour of love which truly understands what made Sonic fans of the 90's love the games so much.
    It manages to pay homage to most Sonic games, even the Master System titles in subtle ways such as going underground in Green Zone, or moving around in a bubble in Hyrocity and it's little and not so little touches like these that make the game so a joyful nostalgia trip.
    Like recent Mario games, Sonic Mania manages to ensure every level offers up something different and moves on from it before the novelty wears off. It does this far better than any past Sonic game.

The Soundtrack however is what I loved most about this game. On one hand they have composed a heap of fresh tracks that feel like they have been scooped from the past. The Ooze with 90's charm, Act 2 of Studiopolis perhaps being the most 90's thing ever created. it's all extremely impressive and tone perfect. As for the classic songs the composers have done just as good of a job. They've all been remixed and some have been given a second part for Act 2. They all sound as if the original composer wrote them in the 90's, and yet they are clearly not running on Mega Drive sound technology. Using modern sound technology and yet replicating that mega Drive feeling very well is no easy balancing act....The pure joy of the music really reminds you how much music mattered to Classic Sonic, and this soundtrack is the perfect icing on the perfect cake.
  78. Jun 2, 2018
    I haven't played many Sonic games, but this is a great platformer! The different playable characters provide different ways to speed through the well-designed levels. Perhaps lacking a bit in originality, but Sonic Mania is fantastic. Recommended for platformer fans and those who particularly like the classic Sonic games.
  79. Nov 28, 2017
    This game is perfect platformer not just for Sonic fans, but everyone. Finally the franchise has a game that proves it's still on the cards, even if recent titles have given it a hard time.

I love this return to sprite based characters and environments, it's looks so beautiful! The levels are fantastically designed and the bosses are so clever! But for me the best gameplay comes with the special stages; i love these so much! Genius! The music throughout the game is also fantastic.

I can't stop playing this game. It's too much fun and I don't think I will ever grow tired of it. I hope they make another one of these with even more amazing content!
  80. Sep 4, 2017
    This is the very essence of Sonic. I can honestly this is the best 2D Sonic game I've played. The new stages are amazing, a blast to play in. Constantly going fast in correlation with the players skill. This game isn't a cake walk either... imagine that a hard Sonic game. One of the main arguments is that 66% of the stages are old. this really isn't true, sure they share name with the oldThis is the very essence of Sonic. I can honestly this is the best 2D Sonic game I've played. The new stages are amazing, a blast to play in. Constantly going fast in correlation with the players skill. This game isn't a cake walk either... imagine that a hard Sonic game. One of the main arguments is that 66% of the stages are old. this really isn't true, sure they share name with the old stages but Zone two is completely new. So cut that 66 in half and you have 33% old stages. Even still those old stages are remixed so they still feel new. Now back to praising the game, the physics are so awesome! Perfectly replicated and the attention to detail is so obviously there. The references are everywhere and this is a must have game on the switch. The best part? It's a steal. Seriously, I'd buy this game for $60 but it's only $20!?!? A deal like this is amazing! If you never got into Sonic... try this game. If you used to be into Sonic... try this game. Never liked old Sonic but a fan of 3D Sonic? Try this game. Just love Sonic? Try. This. Game. I assure you you won't be wasting your money. I'm a Zelda fan... but this might be my game of the year. Expand
  81. Nov 23, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only spoilers here are the levels, so if you don't want to know them then stop reading. This is an incredibly polished game, the soundtrack is amazing, Tee Lopes did an amazing job, highlights include Lava Reef Zone Act 2, Studioplis Zone Act 1, and the Hardboiled Heavies theme. The level design is great, and the game looks good. Expand
  82. Oct 21, 2018
    With excellent gameplay, stunning retro visuals and memorable music, Sonic Mania is easily the best Sonic game since Sonic Generations in 2011.
  83. Sep 11, 2017
    Sonic Mania is like the old games but better, the wide screen makes it so that there are less deaths or loss of speed because of spikes or enemies coming to fast from the right side of the screen. This means that Sonic now is able to run way faster than in the older games where you at times had to take it slow to not get hit. The controlls have also been revamped and it's no doubt for theSonic Mania is like the old games but better, the wide screen makes it so that there are less deaths or loss of speed because of spikes or enemies coming to fast from the right side of the screen. This means that Sonic now is able to run way faster than in the older games where you at times had to take it slow to not get hit. The controlls have also been revamped and it's no doubt for the better. Sonic is less momentum based than in his older games which makes tight platforming less of a tedium and to top all this of, the new art and grafics looks amazing. If you havn't played it yet, Please do it now it's well worth your time Expand
  84. Sep 6, 2017
    Sonic Mania is about as good as Sonic gets. As a longtime fan (like...since the very first game), Mania is everything I have wanted out of a Sonic game for the last twenty years. The art, level design, move set, and "feel" are all exactly as they should be in accordance with the original games. So why not a higher score, you may ask? As much as I love this game (and i do), it has forced meSonic Mania is about as good as Sonic gets. As a longtime fan (like...since the very first game), Mania is everything I have wanted out of a Sonic game for the last twenty years. The art, level design, move set, and "feel" are all exactly as they should be in accordance with the original games. So why not a higher score, you may ask? As much as I love this game (and i do), it has forced me to confront a simple reality - Sonic isn't, and never has been, a perfectly refined and polished experience. It's still a lot of fun to zip through levels as the blue blur and marvel at the gorgeous retro pixel art but cheap deaths, confounding slow downs, and unnecessary repetition are just part of Sonic's DNA. Sonic Mania is a well-deserved masterpiece for fans of the character but it isn't a perfect game - and probably never could be. Expand
  85. Mar 3, 2018
    Sonic y sus amigos vuelven a sus raíces para finalmente lograr que su lucha ante el Dr. Eggman tenga resultados positivos. "Sonic Mania" es un plataformas 2D que pisa fuerte y se vuelve uno de los mejores juegos del erizo azul.
    El diseño de niveles y la ambientación es una maravilla, se siente el amor de los desarrolladores por el personaje y su legado, hay guiños en cada detalle que un nostálgico seguro aprecia. La jugabilidad es la típica de Sonic, debes ir rápido, pero los múltiples caminos le dan una gran rejugabilidad al juego.
    No puedo no recomendar éste juego, ya seas nuevo o un veterano con Sonic, ésta es una entrega que enamora. Ideal para Switch, ya que se reproduce tan bien como en las otras plataformas pero tienes la ventaja de jugarlo de forma portatil.
  86. Sep 5, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a perfect game in every sense of the word, it's the best Sonic game since Generations and probably the best game in the Sonic series. The only game in my opinion that is better than Sonic mania is Ratchet and Clank 2. But hey, opinions.
  87. Aug 28, 2017
    Once upon a time,at the SEGA Headquarters,there was this one guy who thought "Well,people don't like these new 3D Sonic games (especially Sonic Boom,for Ch****'s sake!),so...What about a throwback to the good old days?". And that's where we now have Sonic Mania,AKA the first TRULY good Sonic game we had in years. Let's start with the story:It's your typical 'stop the bad guy' thing,butOnce upon a time,at the SEGA Headquarters,there was this one guy who thought "Well,people don't like these new 3D Sonic games (especially Sonic Boom,for Ch****'s sake!),so...What about a throwback to the good old days?". And that's where we now have Sonic Mania,AKA the first TRULY good Sonic game we had in years. Let's start with the story:It's your typical 'stop the bad guy' thing,but with a "Remix" vibe to it. And that's where you'll explore different worlds of different games,such as Sonic The Hedgehog,Sonic CD... (the list goes on). What Sonic Mania lacks for storytelling,it makes up for colorful levels and incredible music. Unlike those 3D abominations that tend to go in a dark way (*cough-cough* 2006 *coff-coff*),this one goes all the way kid-friendly,with impressive level design,fun boss fights,and also a smooth frame rate. It's all-in 60fps in both docked and undocked. Even the animated cutscenes are awesome to look at. Now during the levels,you also have these Bonus Levels,such as 'Get the Chaos Emerald!' and 'Get Blue Spheres!',which are fun to play,and also intriguingly hard at some point. I could talk for hours about this game,but in the end,Sonic Mania might be the best Sonic game we had in years (until Sonic Forces...),if not also a "Sorry" letter from SEGA,with creative levels,a remixed-up soundtrack,and,of course,the fun that'll make you go to max speed. (bad puns.) Expand
  88. Sep 1, 2017
    With the rocky situation that the Sonic the Hedgehog series has been since around 2012 with Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, it came as a surprise no less when we all saw Sonic Mania being announced to be going back to its 16-bit (ish) routes, as well as in the hands on those that have had experience with Sonic the Hedgehog one way or the other.

For a game going back over 25 years,

For a game going back over 25 years, you would be right to be skeptical, with purposely limiting yourself in terms of visuals and mechanics, but with Sonic Mania, all skepticism would be washed away as it is merely just an old coat of paint with nostalgic colours.

Yes, Sonic Mania is filled with tons of nostalgia, but it all does work very well and handles much like the classic games, in fact some would even argue that this is the well and true Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but that's irrelevant to this.

the story isn't anything special, some Egg-Robos are seen obtaining a Phantom Ruby which travels in time and turns them into the "Hard-boiled Heavies" each with their own personality and means of fighting... and that's pretty much it without spoiling the true ending when getting all Seven Chaos Emeralds.

Now with the gameplay, if you've played all of the previous Sonic classic games, then you've literally played around 75% of Mania, yes when I said nostalgia, I was more referring to the fact that 8 of the 12 zones are all from the previous ones, you have 1 form Sonic 1, 2 from Sonic 2 and CD each and 3 from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the last four are completely original zones.
    While that may not seem problematic for some, if you're going to make a whole new game, you might as well have more original zones than old ones, and I think we're all sick to death of Green Hill Zone; if you wanted to bring back classic zones, then I think just having 1 from each of the old games and 8 original would've been a more better result.

Other than that, the music, visuals and gameplay are all fantastic in their own regards, I'm just waiting for the Album to come out on Google Play as I type this, the special stages also have their fair share of fun and challenge and makes the Chaos Emeralds more rewarding.

While I was smiling to see the Blue Sphere stages return, I was very disappointed to see that I got nothing for getting all Gold Medals, I unlocked the Debug and Sound Tests just by getting all Silvers, so I thought I was going to get something else with my efforts, but alas, nothing.

So with all of that in mind, this game is an absolutely solid game and is definitely worth its price tag, if it had more original stages, then I would've given this a much higher score of 10/10, but that is it'a glaring flaw in this ragard
  89. Sep 3, 2017
    I have no words to describe how amazing this game is. The gameplay is so smooth and true to the original. This game brings a challenge but its not unfair, the graphics are great and so much nicer than the old games. The new levels are unique and fun. And don't get me started on how absolutely outstanding the music is.
  90. Aug 21, 2017
    This game is exactly what we expected for it is. I loved the level design, OST, and everythinh. I wish Sonic Mania 2, 3, 4, and most. Perfect game, RECOMENDED.
  91. Nov 3, 2017
    hacía AÑOS que no tocaba Sonic y este juego me a echo volver. Me encanta, mezcla todo lo clásico con la actualidad. UN 10. Además en modo portátil.... una pasada la verdad recomendado 100%
  92. Aug 22, 2017
    This is what Sonic should have been over the years. Ever since 3, Sonic has been lagging behind and failing game after game. This game corrects that, and it can show Sonic Team a thing or 2 about it's own heritage and how to build a Sonic game. This is perfect, nostalgic and new.
  93. Nov 5, 2017
    For My First Sonic Game this was Really Good. Time after Time i have heard horrible things about the Sonic franchise so when i heard this game was good i was surprised how much fun i was having. Going fast in a game is always cool to do. When a entire game is Centered around going fast your just asking for fun. This game Opened me up to Sonic and ill be sure to try other games in the sonicFor My First Sonic Game this was Really Good. Time after Time i have heard horrible things about the Sonic franchise so when i heard this game was good i was surprised how much fun i was having. Going fast in a game is always cool to do. When a entire game is Centered around going fast your just asking for fun. This game Opened me up to Sonic and ill be sure to try other games in the sonic franchise. Expand
  94. Sep 21, 2017
    I grew up playing Sonic. I have poured countless hours into Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles over the years. Not only as a kid but also at multiple times throughout my life with last year being my most recent resurgence. I tell you this so that you know I'm an expert of sorts on the 2D sonic games and so that hopefully it will carry some weight when I say: THIS IS THEI grew up playing Sonic. I have poured countless hours into Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles over the years. Not only as a kid but also at multiple times throughout my life with last year being my most recent resurgence. I tell you this so that you know I'm an expert of sorts on the 2D sonic games and so that hopefully it will carry some weight when I say: THIS IS THE BEST SONIC GAME EVER MADE! That statement also makes this game one of the best platformers ever made as well.

The Game's brilliance cannot be understated. At $20, this game is a steal and an absolute must buy
  95. Dec 18, 2017
    Sonic Mania is undeniably Sonic the Hedgehog's best modern-day game, so long as we don't bring up the plot threads that tie into Sonic Forces. It's true nostalgia fuel, delivering in every aspect what the original Genesis games set in stone for the blue mascot. It also ends up feeling fresh and inspired, due to the stylised but still pixelated art style, and the exploratory nature of theSonic Mania is undeniably Sonic the Hedgehog's best modern-day game, so long as we don't bring up the plot threads that tie into Sonic Forces. It's true nostalgia fuel, delivering in every aspect what the original Genesis games set in stone for the blue mascot. It also ends up feeling fresh and inspired, due to the stylised but still pixelated art style, and the exploratory nature of the stages, making playing as any character feel like a new experience. However, the Genesis legacy left some fundamental flaws, and Sonic Mania is similarly a victim to them. Some of the level design is hit and miss, momentum can be randomly compromised by the placement of springs or enemies, and the Oil Ocean octopus boss is just the absolute worst. If Mania was built to resolve these embedded problems from start to finish, it would be higher on this list, but currently it sits directly in the middle. Expand
  96. JPK
    Aug 19, 2018
    Good Ol Classic Sonic
    This Game, Like Star Wars Under Disney, Knows What Made The Classics So Damn Amazing.
  97. Sep 19, 2017
    It feels great to experience something like this. In my opinion, it's better than Sonic CD. It has this great value of Nostalgia, Graphics, and Gameplay. The Animation is smooth, and the music is amazing.
  98. Sep 8, 2017
    This is the ultimate ride of nostalgia and I never wanted it to end, luckily the amount of content packed into this game alone made up for it very much. Even though I'm more of a Mario person, I couldn't help resist zipping across stages(or levels, I forget the exact names) with reckless abandon, and I think that this game might finally get me interested in this franchise.
  99. May 18, 2019
    One of the best sonic games period, it's just great, the level design, music, and the feeling of speed is captured so perfectly, great game, i hope sega will realize that the series still has a lot of potential and they can make another fantastic game like this one.
  100. Aug 30, 2017
    The best sonic game ever! I know it's an overrated opinion but seriously it's the best sonic game! The levels are creative and the recreated levels are good as ever. The new story is simple but decent. The soundtrack is amazing! Overall, Sonic Mania is the game all REAL sonic fans were waiting for.

1. Oct 6, 2017
    After nearly 20 years of almost universally horrible games, the 16-bit icon has returned to his former glory and redeemed himself in the eyes of this long-suffering fan. Sonic Mania does a great job of reminding us what made Sonic great in the first place, while also FINALLY bringing the mascot into the modern era. Everything comes together - the music, the stages, the boss fights and the secrets - to form a package that is both appealing to the retro gamer and irresistible to anyone who enjoys a good game of run and jump. Whether on the Nintendo Switch or any other system, Sonic Mania needs to be in your collection yesterday.
  2. Sep 18, 2017
    Sonic Mania is like a greatest hits album that your favourite artist may release, with a few new tracks as a bonus. It has a high level of nostalgia, gloss and polish and will really challenge your skill, reflexes and patience. There's quite a bit to get stuck into, but you may find yourself being frustrated. If you love the little blue chap and relish a challenge, speed along to the e-shop and pick this up.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Sep 14, 2017
    This convincing comeback has been designed for the die-hards - and they haven't been this well served by a Sonic game for ages. [Issue#311, p.118]