8.2

1. Aug 25, 2020
    When Nintendo shadow dropped 6 (count em SIX) titles this week during the Indie World, it was going to be hard to decide which of them to tackle first. But this one definitely spoke to me unlike any of the others. Spiritfarer is probably one of the most heartfelt, most pure games I have ever played that was a metaphor about death.

You play as Stella who has been appointed as the new

You play as Stella who has been appointed as the new “Spiritfarer”, a modern retelling of Greek Mythology and the River Styx. According to legend, Charon would ferry souls across the river who had fare with them at their passing. Payment was provided by a coin placed in the person’s mouth at their burial. This game opens up though with Charon declaring to you his retirement and your cat Daffodil rummaging through his robes.

Spiritfarer, the cozy management game about dying, sets sail today ...
    You acquire a large boat of your own and picking up lost souls to join you on your journey through the afterlife, all of who are represented by giant animals, from there you can navigate across the sea and expand your boat. The game promotes itself as “a cozy management game about dying”. As you are constantly attending to your passenger’s wants and needs, these could be something like hunger or having their own place or something as simple as a hug.

The world is full of little islands to explore, some are full-on towns, while others are simple places full of materials to gather, you will need to gather all the wood, minerals and food you can carry as you will constantly be making upgrades and building new sections to your ship. Like a kitchen to prepare everyone’s meals, to which all your passengers will have various likes and dislikes, expect the frog who will just eat anything. Setting up Gardens to grown vegetables and seeds and places that will take care of all the wood, metal and fabric you come across

I will say that Spiritfarer’s art style and 2D sprite animations is probably the best I have ever seen in a video game, where every motion you make, every hug, every strike with your pick ake is amazingly fluid, but sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, as the game plays a lot in real-time so having to go through the whole saw animation to cut down a tree can be annoying. The game also has you travel to each destination in real-time, this gives you more time to attend to everyone’s needs, rearrange the buildings and do fishing, like…..a lot of fishing.

The comparisons with a certain other title that came out this year are obvious from the start, while it can prove daunting at first very soon you find yourself getting into a real groove attending to everybody’s needs and planning out where you are going next. The game really does play like a condensed version of New Horizion with a truly relaxing ambient soundtrack making you just want to sit back and watch the waves go by. While your passengers will get hungry and whinge at you to build them their own place, this is no way to fail in this game with the creators wanting you to take it all at your own pace.

You get to discover the stories of those who join you on your boat, a journey that sadly has to eventually end. It can be truly devastating after spending all that time getting to know them, feeding and hugging them that they will eventually move on, leaving behind a single flower and an empty room.

But as Dr Seuss once said “Don’t Cry Because It’s Over, Smile Because It Happened.”, there is something truly magical about Spiritfarer, it is very easy to just while away the hours. Although there were times I felt completely lost on how to progress next, like needing a certain type of wood or mineral with no way to find it and being unable to afford a necessary upgrade to the boat to progress further. But it is during these moments that you take a breath and you are able to find the solution.

You will find yourself coming back to the game over and over again, just to spend time with everybody and explore the islands. The lack of any kind of rush or failure allows for a serious relaxed approach that I can definitely appreciate at the moment. There are also some truly entertaining moments like catching lightning in a bottle during a storm, musical mini-games to help your plants grow or saving a giant serpent by driving a pickaxe into their skull.

I wish my time with Spiritfarer could have been longer, but like in the game, everything must come to an end…..and that’s ok.
  2. Aug 30, 2020
    Hold onto your money, the game is still buggy.

Played 8 hours and enjoyed it. Then an island turned into a green blob in the background and my game crashed. Started the game and my save was gone... unfortunately a games state of release does affect its review. Update: Started a new game and have played for a day or so again and I was about to send a spirit off but had to go so I saved
    Hold onto your money, the game is still buggy.

Update: Started a new game and have played for a day or so again and I was about to send a spirit off but had to go so I saved and quit. Now Stella just stands above the small boat and all of the spirits slowly walk over and everyone just stands around. I can’t move Stella but know the controller is inputing because I can open the system menu and toggle the time of day UI. I want to play this game but unfortunately I have contacted Nintendo for a refund as the game unreliable to an unplayable point. I gave it a fair second chance but I suggest you just skip it.
  3. Aug 19, 2020
    This game caught me completely by surprise. This is a game where limbo is a vast open sea and you have to befriend spirits before sending them onto the afterlife. The game at its core is a farming/resource management game, however the fact that your "farm" is set on a boat which steers itself allows you to multitask with ease.

The 2D art style is amazing and the soundtrack is

The 2D art style is amazing and the soundtrack is phenomenal. My only main complaint is with the Switch version in general: As your boat gets bigger; the game starts to suffer from a framerate issues, hopefully that can be amended in the future.
  4. Aug 20, 2020
    Such a great game. There are no legions of undead to mow down. no min/max stats to be acquired, just beautiful hand-drawn graphics, simple and enjoyable game mechanics and a wonderful story.
  5. Sep 17, 2020
    My personal game of the year honestly, such a massive surprise that I didn't expect to love as much as I did.
  6. Aug 29, 2020
    I absolutely adore this game. Every single part of it. Beautiful it's sensitive caring just really lovely and calming. Sadly it is a little glitchy so I had to restart a few times. That's why 9 out of 10.
  7. Sep 4, 2020
    GREAT GAME BUT CRASHES SO OFTEN, LOST HOURS OF WORK....

GREAT GAME BUT CRASHES SO OFTEN, LOST HOURS OF WORK....

Fantastic take on the dying and afterlife in a very well polished, beautiful to look at RPG. If your into stunning visuals that are like massaging your eyeballs then Spiritfarer is the game for you. It also has a well put together story, side quests, mini games and simulation management aspects all on your customisable ship. Would highly recommend this game for anyone who is looking for a peaceful, yet enjoyable game on the switch.
  8. Aug 19, 2020
    Spiritfarer is a fun, adventurous, and heartwarming game that has a lovable cast and addicting gameplay. In this charming indie game, you play as a girl named Stella who has appeared in this mysterious world where spirits lurk to be satisfied. Make friends with familiar faces and travel the open seas to discover the world and collect resources. In terms of gameplay, it is really hard toSpiritfarer is a fun, adventurous, and heartwarming game that has a lovable cast and addicting gameplay. In this charming indie game, you play as a girl named Stella who has appeared in this mysterious world where spirits lurk to be satisfied. Make friends with familiar faces and travel the open seas to discover the world and collect resources. In terms of gameplay, it is really hard to describe - Spiritfarer feels like the perfect blend of Night in the Woods, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, and Sea of Theives. My biggest issue with the game is that, even though the game is highly addicting, during multiple-hour gameplay sessions the tasks can get really repetitve and start to feel like a chore.

Reccomendation: If you like games with great characters, epic adventures, or even just casual-friendly gameplay mechanics, this is for you. In addition to that, if you likes any of the titles I previouslyt mentioned, you will most lieky love this game.

Final Verdict: 90/100 - Great
  9. Aug 21, 2020
    I saw the trailer for this in the indie direct and grabbed it right after. I knew that I would enjoy this game, but I didn't know I would this much. I love games like Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, Terraria, Graveyard Keeper, etc. so this game seemed right up my alley.

I have already sunk hours into this game since I got it, and can't wait to keep going. The game itself is so relaxing that I forget I'm playing a game sometimes. The characters are vibrant and each have unique attributes to them. The presentation just adds to the experience with music that I can't wait to hear or get out of my head. There's new music everywhere whether it be from discovering a new place, a thunderstorm, or any other change in the environment. The graphics are a fun and colorful presentation and really add to the experience and I'm pleased to say that it looks as gorgeous on my t.v. as it does in handheld mode.

I totally get that games like this aren't for everyone, but if you love games that have a story to discover, wonderful characters, and have you doing work but making it fun, this game is for you. I'll definitely be sad when this comes to an end, but I can't wait to see how it does.
  10. Aug 20, 2020
    Easy to love! No pressure in game, just chill at your own phase. I rate it 10 because its a perfect indie title, with a decent pricetag.
  11. Aug 23, 2020
    This is a cozy management animal crossing-esque sim where you explore the surprisingly charming after world, aiding the dead to the next world. The writing breathes life into all the characters and although optional you will want to hug them frequently. The mini games are fun though most side quests feel a bit out of place and progression can feel slow or gated occasionally. Definitely recommend.
  12. Aug 27, 2020
    this is a fantastic game Good story and good control
    Cool graphic and you can hug NPC!
  13. Sep 6, 2020
    Great, chill game. Good stories, fed to you little by little, showing each character's journey towards accepting death. Very touching. Knocking it a point because of performance issues. It probably crashed once every five hours. Autosave made it so very little was lost, but it's still annoying.
  14. Sep 17, 2020
    Spiritfarer has been one of the best games I’ve played in a long while.
    Not only is the games art style very pretty, but the character designs, the places, the music and the heavy use of leitmotifs- it all comes together to create such a comfortable atmosphere.
    Spiritfarer has been one of the best games I’ve played in a long while.

The game really has a way of making you feel strongly for all the spirits on your boat, even if you start off not being particularly fond of them. There are just enough spirits for you to get to know intimately while not feeling that there aren’t enough or that there are too many.

Other then making friends with spirits the game has a resource management aspect. It makes travelling from place to place on the boat a lot more fun and less tedious. There are many quests to fulfil with these activities too!

The one thing I should say is that spiritfarer is not yet at this point a fully ironed out and smooth game. There are bugs, for sure but that’s to be expected so early on and I haven’t had it effect any of the heartfelt moments so in my eyes they really aren’t an issue.

If you want to chill and make friends while experiencing a very emotional story that manages to gradually shift the tone of the game with your progress, then I highly recommend spiritfarer.
  15. Sep 20, 2020
    Love the cozy game!! But i think it should add controll for the camera ro zoom in or zoom out for better look, and make the boat management nore easier

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 18, 2020
    Thunder Lotus Games clearly put a lot of love and heart into Spiritfarer. The whole experience is dripping with emotion, thanks to the engaging and memorable cast of character met throughout this adventure. While its main gameplay loop may become grindy over time, Spiritfarer‘s plot and rewarding upgrade system make the experience feel worthwhile. If you’re in the mood for a good cry or looking for an unforgettable voyage, you can’t go wrong raising the anchor and setting sail on Stella’s ship.
    Overall, I really enjoyed this game and all the time I spent devouring it. I came into Spiritfarer very excited, and it did not disappoint. It even surprised me with how much I loved it. Spiritfarer has everything relevant to my interests: the afterlife, crafting, crystals, making friends, getting up in other people’s business, fixing (?) problems, and a cat best friend. If you are looking for a beautiful game with some more serious, and sometimes mystical, subject matter, I highly suggest giving Spiritfarer a try.
  3. Sep 15, 2020
    Perhaps the best thing of all is how Spiritfarer builds, grows, and ends. Not only are the souls you helping growing and accepting and your boat building, but Stella herself is developing. The story creeps up around you while life is happening, which is incredibly apt. There are highs and lows, as these moments will constantly hit you and make you chuckle or perhaps cry.