8.1

1. Jul 19, 2020
    I give this a five out of ten.
    Pros: This game is very similar to the original with more 'flare'. It's very fun. There are new characters, events, and animals, but it still brings back the nostalgia of the original game. Very well done.
    HOWEVER. Xseed seems to be on a 'child-proofing' kick that they're taking to an extreme. They've been doing this more and more over a long line of
    I give this a five out of ten.

HOWEVER.

Xseed seems to be on a 'child-proofing' kick that they're taking to an extreme. They've been doing this more and more over a long line of games and it's extremely upsetting. From preventing animals from getting 'sick' or 'dying' from neglect to removing rival marriages all together. It's very disheartening. The animals are cute and, yes, it is sad when they die (whether be from old age or neglect) but that's part of life. It's a good lesson for kids to learn. Not to mention with the removal of rival marriages it makes the characters very two-dimensional and unrealistic. They used to feel more interesting, having their own lives and events that were their own with nothing to do with the player. It made the characters much more fun. Also, Gray, for example, is suddenly sweet as sugar and never mean. He used to be kind of a jerk till you got to know him. Yes, he sort of snaps at you in the first event, but that's really it. This is exactly what I mean when I say Xseed is child proofing. It's sad that kids can't really learn good lessons from these games anymore.

TL;DR = While they kept most of the old game, they added new things that are cute and fun. However, XSeed's child proofing ways are at it again.
  2. Jul 23, 2020
    A really good remake of a classic. Runs very good on the switch, both docked and handheld mode. If you like the previous Harvest Moon, now renamed Story of seasons. You will love this game.
  3. Jul 17, 2020
    Nostalgia factor is pretty big with this game. It may be hard to stick with if you have never played the originals and have only played Stardew Valley; however, if you played the original harvest moon friends of mineral town, Harvest moon back to nature, or you are a fan of the genre in general, this is worth the purchase. The art style grows was originally my biggest concern for the gameNostalgia factor is pretty big with this game. It may be hard to stick with if you have never played the originals and have only played Stardew Valley; however, if you played the original harvest moon friends of mineral town, Harvest moon back to nature, or you are a fan of the genre in general, this is worth the purchase. The art style grows was originally my biggest concern for the game but turned into one of my favorite things about the game. At first, I was super hesitant about the 3d art style, comparing it to something you’d see in a mobile game. It was surprising to me how quickly the art style grew on me after I started playing. The portraits are very well drawn and convey a lot of expression from the NPCs. The backgrounds and season changes are also very well done. The art direction is helped by the game running at a consistent 60fps on the switch. The new 3d art design was a good choice for the remaster and it is polished enough to give a timeless appeal. Personally I prefer this new art style over SDV.

Romance options are some of the largest in the genre. Each romance option feels unique and the dialogue adds alot of depth to each of the characters. I also find the romance options way more engaging than the SDV romance options. Customization is where the game falls short. If your fine with not having total control over farm customization, then you should be able to get over the games biggest shortcoming. The game tries to overcome this by having a leveling system for your tools and even other grading system for your harvested crops; however, none of this really seems to matter too much when you can use harvest sprites to do all the dirty work for you. Tools are more or less just a means to clear up large stumps and rocks on the soil and open new areas. Building placement and crafting options are also way more limited than in SDV. The farming and animal mechanics have also been cleaned up a lot since the previous versions. Several quality-of-life changes have made it much easier to tend to your crops. Overall I recommend picking it up even if you’re curious. Its not perfect but its still a very fun game and an improvement on the originals.
  4. Jul 15, 2020
    Add a review here for Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, or submit with only a rating...
    Playing story of seasons feels like coming back home and your are having your favorite meal for dinner with a few surprises. It truly enhanced everything the GBA version did and has some really nice improvements. If you loved Friends of Mineral town and More friends of Mineral Town you'll love this one too. There are new fruit trees, improved graphics, a new area in town, new animals and pets and finally same-sex marriage. All these new features will definitely make this the definitive version.
  5. Jul 20, 2020
    I love this, love the nostalgia, the game doesn't have too much difference from the former game, they're just enchancing the graphics, maybe some new npc, and that's all, the mechanic of the game is the same as it's former game
  6. Jul 23, 2020
    Just wanna say, thanks to make me feels nostalgic, and thanks to Marvelous for making this game...
  7. Jul 23, 2020
    I have been playing Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town since launch. I did not play the original GBA release, but I am familiar with the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons series in general.

I enjoyed many aspects of this game. I feel like the gameplay loop is addictive and satisfying. I love some of the quality of life improvements (1 pack of seeds plants 9 spots in the field, the tool swapping is easy, etc.) For the most part, I enjoy the meat of this game, but I cannot give it a 10/10 because of some important gripes.

The graphics are perfectly acceptable -- I even find them cute -- but the animations do feel a bit stiff and lifeless. The music, when present, is fun but I often find that there is no background music. The sound effects are dated; I really dislike how the footsteps sound. The villager dialogue is a bit lacking as well.

Overall, I am glad I bought this game, and I know I will put in a ton of hours. I just wish they would have taken the time to get some of the finer details better.
  8. Jul 17, 2020
    Stick to the Original GBA release.

While this game has many improvements, I had some issues playing this game and cannot justify it being $50. issues including materials selling for more than your crops, Missed opportunity to include multiplayer connectivity like the last game. Character names such as Ann and Won have been oddly changed. Speaking of which, the game's dialogue looks
    Stick to the Original GBA release.

Speaking of which, the game's dialogue looks like its been put through google translate. Since everyone in the game is "bi" including the player, this also means that there are no more Rival Events. This makes the game needlessly easy and provides no challenge for the game at all.
    You can no longer cook your own dishes, you have to learn recipes. Which means some recipes are no longer a secret. TV Shopping is no longer a thing, you have to buy utensils at a store. I've also ran into several bugs, and crashes a few times.
    Overall, this game feels like a cash grab trying to pull in fans of the original game. For $50, i wouldn't recommend this.
  9. Jul 19, 2020
    •Gráficamente es basura
    •Los menús no son nada intuitivos
    •No cuenta con un radar para los NPC
    •Muchos de los SFX son espantosos y molestos.

Para ser un Remake está bastante mediocre.
  10. Jul 17, 2020
    People saying this game is too faithful to the original seem to ignore the new characters, new animals, new events, new gameplay mechanics, equal marriage and so on. Yes it is a remake, so it's an improved FoMT. But there are many convenient updates that allow both newcomers and original fans to have fun. And that last word, FUN, is vital here. It is a game that emphasizes the relaxing andPeople saying this game is too faithful to the original seem to ignore the new characters, new animals, new events, new gameplay mechanics, equal marriage and so on. Yes it is a remake, so it's an improved FoMT. But there are many convenient updates that allow both newcomers and original fans to have fun. And that last word, FUN, is vital here. It is a game that emphasizes the relaxing and engrossing experience of having fun leading a simple farm in a simple town. There is nothing breathtaking or exuberant. So if you are the kind closed-minded gamer who mock at the possibility of this type of game existing in 2020, now is a good time to turn back. Expand
  11. Jul 23, 2020
    As a veteran Harvest Moon fan this is by far my favorite farming game on the switch. Nostalgia does play a big role in this game though. Many do not know that this is a remake of a classic GBA game called Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. I will say that many will prefer to Stardew Valley (which is understandable) than this but hear me out! This is a fantastic game to relax to andAs a veteran Harvest Moon fan this is by far my favorite farming game on the switch. Nostalgia does play a big role in this game though. Many do not know that this is a remake of a classic GBA game called Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. I will say that many will prefer to Stardew Valley (which is understandable) than this but hear me out! This is a fantastic game to relax to and take in the memorable music it has grown on me since I was a kid. It has two new characters which is a breath of fresh air for the series. It also has same-sex marriage which is a major plus in my books. We stan equality in our games. You can be a girl or boy, pick your skin color and the game has a variety of clothing options to choose from. Add-ons such as costumes cost 1.99 on the eshop store. More animals to raise and more different crops to grow aswell. It really filled in the gaps of the GBA version I grew up with.

Now comes the negatives. Why I gave this an 8 instead of a 10 is..

1. The graphics and character portraits. The graphics do look like a mobile version of a game I will admit but I did however grew to like it. Alot of people might not like this though. Especially if they're gonna pay $50 for this game. I can understand that. And the portraits and characters look very chibi and some of the character redesigns aren't that great. Gray without a hat and Ann is named Ran instead of Ann. Just minor setbacks but let's now get to the most important flaw.

2. No rival marriages. This is the biggest flaw in the game because it made the town come alive back on the GBA Version. Maybe down the road they will add it in a patch. Who knows but it's a big disappointment for many nostalgic FoMT fans.

Overall Marvelous has really stuck to the original GBA version as close as possible and I'm so happy they did this for the older and newer fans too. We have to appreciate that we were blessed with a nostalgic and fan favorite game remade in our hands and it's so nice to play it on the go and on the big screen. is it worth $50 though? For a non-fan I'd wait for it to go on sale but if your a longtime fan it's definitely worth the price. Thank you Marvelous for keeping the spark alive. Something Natsume has failed to do these last past years. Happy farming!
  12. Jul 16, 2020
    Amazing game! Brings back the very good memories of mine playing the older version. There's a lot of satisfaction playing the game... I can't stop playing it.... The only downside is probably the lack of creativity over the older version.... gameplay wise is very similar to the older version. Perhaps adding some new feature would make a 10/10 game.
  13. Sep 8, 2020
    It is so fun! It reminds me of my childhood time. There are more story lines and characters , the farm works are more user friendly now compared with PS1 version. Overall it is like a re-make version of friends of mineral towns with more stories. It’s worth buying !

Generally favorable reviews - based on 47 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 15, 2020
    Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town’s Switch port is a means of preserving the past while gradually adjusting it so it is slightly more in tune with modern sensibilities. There aren’t drastic changes here. It will definitely feel a bit dated and difficult, due to the way stamina and a player’s inventory were handled back in the day. But there are plenty of positive changes, from new additions that range from characters to crops, changes that do make it easier to take care of your homestead, and more opportunities to fall in love with (all) of your favorite characters. It’s a welcome opportunity to sample a try a change of pace.
  2. Aug 10, 2020
    Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral town is a fun time sink, but for a near full price game, sticks a little too close to its base game from more than 15 years ago. It has a great progression system that is still haunted by old traditions of ridiculously obtuse unlock conditions for certain features. If you have a reliable guide, you’re going to have a pretty good time, but the necessity of one really hampers the laid back, casual vibe of the game. If you’ve been a fan of the series for a while or are interested in the new features like gay marriage, then give it a try. Everyone else may want to wait for a price drop.
  3. Aug 5, 2020
    It’s fine, it’s just not all that special.