7.5

1. Apr 13, 2019
    SDBHWM is the popular card game from Japan digitized. It blends a mix of tactical combat and RPG elements with fighting. It reminds me of the Dragon Quest RPGs because of the turn-based tactical combat. Players obtain cards and create powerful decks and then place them in combat against enemy teams.

The game boasts 350 characters using cell-shaded animations from the Budokai series, and players can collect over 1000 different cards. Players can also use the custom card creator to create their own card with effects, super attacks, and transformations. Collecting cards and editing them is very time consuming, and I prefer to get straight into the fighting.

This is a huge service to mega fan boys and geeks that have to have everything Dragon Ball. Dimps knows if they slap a picture of Ultimate Gohan on a card, fan boys will buy anything. However, it is a turn-off for those who prefer pure fighters. It is basically Dragon Ball team reduced to mini-games. You press the A button and try to win a charged impact or super attack, and watch the characters perform the same animation over and over again. This is a very unimaginative way to play the game and becomes mundane after a while.

With the number of characters, Dimps could have created a really exciting and fascinating followup to Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3. Budokai 3 had better core mechanics and players could enter various punch kick combinations and then use devastating ultimate attacks. It would have been awesome to perform all the super and ultimate attacks now in SDBH in a new Budokai game. This is truly a waste of good characters.

Players have also complained that's it's tedious to move the cards around, and the controls are awkward if you're using a controller and no stylus on a PC. There's also no English dub so you won't hear Sean Schemmel's voice shouting the famous word, "Kamehameha!" If Dimps spent a little more time on the game, they could have sent it to Funmation for an English dub.

The game also comes with a hefty price tag ($60), and the anime music add-ons cost extra. It is definitely not worth the cost. I would rent the game or try to get a free copy and try it out. If you like the game, then you can take your save game and transfer it if you decide to buy later on.

On the positive side, the game is unique and it does offer a lot of replayability. Players can go back to story missions and try to complete the ultimate clear conditions to collect items. This is bound to keep fans occupied for hours.

Unfortunately, the game fails to leave a lasting impression and its easy to put down the controller on this one. I think Dimps needs to capitalize on all 350 characters, their special moves and create a really good pure fighting successor to Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 31 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Feb 27, 2020
    If you crave 100-hour, card- based strategy games, hold onto your combat gi! [Issue #40 – July/August 2019, p. 70]
  2. Sep 19, 2019
    Not being a fan of card games myself, I approached this game with low expectations. I found myself pleasantly surprised by the game’s addicting nature, compounded by the robust content and fan service. I spent many hours trying to unlock more character cards and scenarios. Super Saiyan 3 Vegito. Various non-canon transformations of Broly. I even got a character card of Bulma, which I immediately added to my main deck. Despite the immense fun factor and extra features, the card game itself isn’t compelling enough to entice those who are unfamiliar with the anime series. However, devout fans of the Dragon Ball series should find plenty of content to feast on here.
  3. Jul 8, 2019
    An ever-elusive Japanese "gacha" exclusive is finally here. Tons of fan service will make you turn a blind eye to a ridiculously outdated graphics. If luck and strategy are all you want from a Dragon Ball game, this is a title for you.