8.3

1. Oct 7, 2019
    Pure crap, they have managed to convert a classic arcade puzzle game into a battle royale. Don't waste your time with it and play the original one, a million times better.
  2. Sep 7, 2019
    An amazing game that works really well with the 99 down to 1 rules.

An amazing game that works really well with the 99 down to 1 rules.

it's only issue may not even be an issue for you, it feels at time as though when you have 1 good game of either reaching first or reaching the final 5, the next 3 games it will bombard you with attacks from the beginning of the match increasing the difficulty tenfold, considering these are meant to be "random" attacks from the beginning, they don't feel random when it happens...

Otherwise though, its free (with switch online) and great fun, also has DLC.

It also has a physical edition coming out on the 20th september with 12 months of switch online too.
  3. Aug 31, 2019
    Este es un juego muy adictivo, de partidas cortas pero extremas. creado para los jugadores que no tienen tiempo y busca un videojuego muy duro al limite.
  4. Jun 30, 2019
    "You did it. You crazy son of a female dog, you did it."
    - Me after realizing Nintendo really just released a battle royale Tetris game
    "You did it. You crazy son of a female dog, you did it."
    - Me after realizing Nintendo really just released a battle royale Tetris game

To be honest, I don't have that much experience with battle royale games. I don't completely loathe them, but I do think that back in the day they were really oversaturated and -rated. I did play Fortnite for much more hours than I want to admit, and I guess I kind of enjoyed it, but it still was really unpolished and quite boring at times.
    Tetris 99 doesn't have that problem. It's pure, unadulterated fun; I haven't reached first place, or "Tetris Maximus", a single time, yet it's really, really fun! I don't know what makes the game even more addictive than regular Tetris, probably how you're practically flexing your Tetris skills to about 1-5 other people targeting at you, and the combination of glow and audio effects that always kick in when you get a lot of Tetrises or a T-Spin or whatever, it's always satisfying.
    Now, you might wonder: why did I give this game a 9/10, the same score that I gave Smash Ultimate? Welp, I think the game really does everything nearly perfectly that it set out to be. The "99" part of the game is pretty much always enjoyable, but it could really benefit of having configurable controls. Also, why is its tiny DLC 10$? It doesn't really make sense, but DLC doesn't constitute as part of the base game, so it's complaints won't lower the game's score any less.
  5. Jun 4, 2019
    This is the thing that Nintendo needed for their online. It is the best, and now only, battle royale ever. If Nintendo does more stuff like this, the online service is more than worth $20.
  6. May 25, 2019
    This game is so addictive, and while I have never personally got a win,it's a great experience overall, would definitely recommend to anyone who likes battle royale or puzzle games, also, the game boy theme is such a cool feature
  7. May 18, 2019
    Absolute garbage unless you enjoy games that last all of 30 seconds. Constantly getting ganged up on by players 50+ levels higher than me making learning and improving near impossible. Also the interface and music are more annoying than anything plus there's no instructions of any kind. Maybe if you're someone who's played tetris daily for 10 years it's fun but any casual player shouldAbsolute garbage unless you enjoy games that last all of 30 seconds. Constantly getting ganged up on by players 50+ levels higher than me making learning and improving near impossible. Also the interface and music are more annoying than anything plus there's no instructions of any kind. Maybe if you're someone who's played tetris daily for 10 years it's fun but any casual player should give it a hard pass. Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2019
    Tetris 99 costs $0! And you get to play the classic game of Tetris? What's not to love? Playing with 98 other people is a ton of fun, and works surprisingly well. If a player quits, no one else is effected! Getting a high score out of dozens of people is super satisfying. Some people might get bored of this game, but there are worse Battle Royale games (Fortnite, Kirby Battle Royale, etc).
  9. Apr 12, 2019
    I am soo addicted to this game. Fast action, fast restarts with 98 new opponents, responsive controls, and some mildly interesting interactions make this one heck of a good game to me. You have to like Tetris though. It gets fast quick but that is why I like it. Gets to the interesting part. I just wish you could turn off the ghost piece. But I got used to it.
  10. Apr 10, 2019
    its ok i think

there are better games on the switch but no better free games or better tetrisses
  11. Apr 7, 2019
    The concept is pretty simple, 99 people play Tetris simultaneously and the last player standing wins. It can sometimes feel like you are being targeted more frequently than other players in certain games, which can be frustrating, but it's free if you have an online subscription and is good fun to play.
  12. Mar 31, 2019
    I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im ok. I love this game and im O K
  13. Mar 31, 2019
    It´s entertaining... until you just got randomly killed, some times almost no one attack you and some times yo just got banged.
  14. Mar 30, 2019
    This game is honestly the best battle royal I have ever played. It combines classic tetris game play with 99 player battles causing absolute havoc.
  15. Mar 30, 2019
    I suck at Tetris, but this is actually pretty fun. The 99-player simultaneous gameplay is a cool idea and actually works pretty well. The game's music is also great, the main theme's remix is super catchy, and the game looks pretty good. I do have a couple of problems that keep me from giving a 9 or 10 though. For one, there's almost no content. A simple solo play option would've beenI suck at Tetris, but this is actually pretty fun. The 99-player simultaneous gameplay is a cool idea and actually works pretty well. The game's music is also great, the main theme's remix is super catchy, and the game looks pretty good. I do have a couple of problems that keep me from giving a 9 or 10 though. For one, there's almost no content. A simple solo play option would've been nice. I can kind of understand this, because the game is free, but I think a little more content and a cheap price tag wouldn't have hurt. Also, you can't turn off the ghost piece. I personally have 0 issues with the ghost piece, but for some people (like my mom, who played the original a ton when she was younger), it looks like there's an actual piece there, and it can be distracting. An option to turn it off would've been nice. The game also doesn't to a very good job of teaching you how things work. I still don't fully understand how the game works (and I've played more that 20 games), but I do understand enough to have a good time. A tutorial still would've been nice. Overall, though, this is a good game, and it's definitely worth a try. Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2019
    While I normally could care less about battle royales, this game really shows how the genre can succeed with styles other than "shoot everyone". I do wish there was some more in terms of single player (It is a puzzle game, after all), but overall, a great game and a decent reason to get the NS Online service. I would like to see more games exclusive to members like this, as it gives peopleWhile I normally could care less about battle royales, this game really shows how the genre can succeed with styles other than "shoot everyone". I do wish there was some more in terms of single player (It is a puzzle game, after all), but overall, a great game and a decent reason to get the NS Online service. I would like to see more games exclusive to members like this, as it gives people more of a reason to use the service. Expand
  17. Mar 26, 2019
    I rarely can even get the game to load up, and the matches are repetitive and boring. Tetris is fun, but the whole targeting thing doesn't work to well.
  18. Mar 26, 2019
    Tetris 99 is missing a lot of enjoyable and alternate modes as well as a manual, but it's a beautiful, well playing Tetris game that pits you against other players. There's not much to say about it. If you've played Tetris, you've played this. Especially if you've played Tetris multiplayer. Easily a great game, it just needs more frills.
  19. Mar 23, 2019
    Very good and addictive online Tetris. The only thing missing is an offline / single-player marathon mode.
  20. Mar 23, 2019
    Tetris battle royale? That's one of those ideas that looks obvious in hindsight, but would have sounded weird right before it happened. The concept does work: playing Tetris with 98 other humans is an obscenely moreish activity. If you get sucked in, it might be hard to put down your Switch.

As pristine as it is, Tetris 99 feels a bit like a barebones prototype. There are no options, game modes, or any ways to enjoy the game, except for the one: jump in a match with 98 random players and start dropping blocks. You might find that you're a 30% player, and play for days without ever getting in the top 10%. If you'd rather not bother learning "advanced" features like targeting other players, then you're out of luck, and you'll probably never raise to the top of any game. It would be nice if the game allowed you to play with players of a similar skill level, try different game modes, or any other quality of life feature.

As it is, Tetris 99 is a very slim package–but still a compelling one.
  21. Mar 20, 2019
    Tetris 99 is addicting. You will open it to play one game and end up playing for a couple of hours. It is also free. You cant do better than free. The first few times you play, the controls can be confusing, but you get the hang of it. My one complaint is that you cant use the joystick to move the Tetris pieces.
  22. Mar 17, 2019
    I would say that this game has a pretty fun idea at best but it works much better on paper than in reality.

I would like to start with the most basic thing, controls. The controls are fine, I can do fine with using a d-pad to move, but that is pretty much the only control method available. What about the people that would like to use the Joystick to move? That just isn't possible at least when I'm writing this and I doubt they will change this. The only controls you can change are the most useless ones, who you want to target. When you first start in this game, you probably won't be using these controls very much. By the time you learn how to use them effectively, there is no reason to swap the joystick controls. I only touch one joystick at the beginning of the game and then play tetris.

Second, I would like to tell you how luck based the game is. Yes, you do have to have a basic understanding of tetris to play, and you have to be good at it, trust me, but after that it depends on if you are getting targeted by 0 or 5 people, let alone if 1 or 2 of them are gods at tertis. This has no skill involved and is just about being lucky. One time I got into a game and, no joke, got 3 tetrises sent my way within the first 30 second. How am I supposed to counteract that. Oh yeah, I can't.

Finally, I want to talk about something that I don't fully understand withing the game. For the different tactics you can you to determine who you are sending lines to, the options being Random, KO, Badges, and Attackers, I want to talk about specifically how KO works. I have 2 theories on how this works, and they are both pretty sketchy. Either 1. It puts you against lo levels players, so basically a noob targeter, or people who are not doing so well with their boards, essentially making those people unable to come back.

I have had fun times with this game, but I have had many many more horrible times because I simply couldn't compete against 4 people at once.
  23. Mar 16, 2019
    Não sou muito chegado em tetris, não gostei muito principalmente, pois sempre caimos com muitos pró players, quem é mais casual só se da mal.
  24. Mar 13, 2019
    You would think tetris would be hard to screw up, buy somehow they managed to.

The gameplay idea is a good one, i enjoy battle tetris. But the game suffers from some pretty piss poor design choices. There is no tutorial, and no training mode to get used to the controls. The controls are HORRIBLE, this would not be an issue if we could set them how we like, but we cannot do that,
    You would think tetris would be hard to screw up, buy somehow they managed to.

The gameplay idea is a good one, i enjoy battle tetris.
    But the game suffers from some pretty piss poor design choices.

There is no tutorial, and no training mode to get used to the controls.

The controls are HORRIBLE, this would not be an issue if we could set them how we like, but we cannot do that, the controls we are forced to use, they simply are clunky, i play tetris pretty well, i am no grand master, but the controls on offer make me look like i have never touched a tetris game before in my life.

I would much prefer to be able to move the block with one joy stick, and rotate and drop with the dpad.
    on a single joycon.
    use the bumpers to cycle targeting.

but no i am forced to use the ass backwards controls they force on us.
    All you change is what joy stick is the one for targeting.

I know the games free for subbed users, but really its just lazy.
  25. Feb 28, 2019
    Tetris 99 might honestly be the most enjoyment I've yet to have out of the Battle Royale genre. Out of all the Battle Royale's Tetris 99 has arguable the lease flaws. What I love most about this game is how short the wait and matches last. It usually takes about 1 minute for the game to start and it is likely over for me in the first 5 minutes but the entire game lasts for about 10Tetris 99 might honestly be the most enjoyment I've yet to have out of the Battle Royale genre. Out of all the Battle Royale's Tetris 99 has arguable the lease flaws. What I love most about this game is how short the wait and matches last. It usually takes about 1 minute for the game to start and it is likely over for me in the first 5 minutes but the entire game lasts for about 10 minutes. Also the music is great and surprisingly to me the graphics are pleasing, I guess the only flaws I have with the game is the lack of a tutorial and my own skill. Expand
  26. Feb 26, 2019
    Tetris 99 is fun and addictive, but can also be maddening and can leave you feeling like you got screwed over by a vortex of random chaos. I've played dozens of games and still cannot find any real strategy. For those who are not aware, the game is simply Tetris that you play against 98 other people. When you clear lines you send them to an opponent, and lines can be sent to you by otherTetris 99 is fun and addictive, but can also be maddening and can leave you feeling like you got screwed over by a vortex of random chaos. I've played dozens of games and still cannot find any real strategy. For those who are not aware, the game is simply Tetris that you play against 98 other people. When you clear lines you send them to an opponent, and lines can be sent to you by other opponents. Each player has the option to send their tiles to a Random Person, someone attacking you, the players with the most badges, or those closest to elimination.

The best 'strategy' I have found it to choose to send my line clears to Random opponents this seems lead to me getting attacked less. Presumably because I am not targeting the same person each time -- If I were they would then be attacking me back if they chose the option to send their tiles to the person attacking them. This option, however literally leads to the game just being Tetris with a huge random element to it. Many games i am doing very well and clearing lines and chunks and keeping my board clear, I am quickly bombarded by attacker tiles and eliminated in seconds. Other games I horribly mess up tile placements but finish top 20 anyways because I am lucky and not randomly being attached. There is POTENTIAL strategy involved, but I have yet to find a way to make any sense of it.

You get in games quickly so I do find myself getting sucked in and playing several games in a row. As a free offering to those who pay for the Nintendo Online service (which I was doing anyways), it is a great addition. It's a fun game to sit down and play when you have a few free minutes. Is the '99' element to it great? Not really.
  27. Feb 25, 2019
    I wasn’t expecting to see such a game in the near future, but here it is. Even though the idea is really simple, it’s a really cool concept. It’s regular Tetris, like you all know it, but for clearing more rows at once or building combos you send rows of blocks to your opponents, which will make the game more difficult for them. At the same time, you can also defend yourself from blocks,I wasn’t expecting to see such a game in the near future, but here it is. Even though the idea is really simple, it’s a really cool concept. It’s regular Tetris, like you all know it, but for clearing more rows at once or building combos you send rows of blocks to your opponents, which will make the game more difficult for them. At the same time, you can also defend yourself from blocks, which were sent to you.

One thing that is missing is an explanation for the 4 different modes you can choose while playing. That really bothered me, because I didn’t really know, what each of these modes was doing. It would be really helpful, if you could look that up in the game somewhere.

I also don’t really like, that there is the possibility, that 4 or 5 people can be attacking you at the same time and if that happens, you barely have a chance of surviving, since you are constantly getting sent rows of blocks. I would prefer, if there was a limit for opponents attacking you at the same time.

But other than that, I really like Tetris 99. It is a funny little game, which makes the Nintendo Online Service a bit more attractive in my opinion. For people, who don’t play Tetris that much, it might be a bit overwhelming at first, but the more you play it, the more you get used to it.
  28. Feb 23, 2019
    Español Latino(5hrs de juego): Pros, un juego muy, pero muy fiel a su escencia. Dificil que posè, una sistema de competitividad excelente tanto para pros y noobs. Partidas rapidas. Todo mundo tiene la posibilidad de ser el #1, facil de aprender a jugar y excelente para estimular tu cerebro. No merece el 10, porque debería de ser gratis para todo usuario de nintendo switch, pero para ser unEspañol Latino(5hrs de juego): Pros, un juego muy, pero muy fiel a su escencia. Dificil que posè, una sistema de competitividad excelente tanto para pros y noobs. Partidas rapidas. Todo mundo tiene la posibilidad de ser el #1, facil de aprender a jugar y excelente para estimular tu cerebro. No merece el 10, porque debería de ser gratis para todo usuario de nintendo switch, pero para ser un insentivo para obtener nintendo online, esta muy bien.
    Cons: No hay mucho que criticar de este juego, obtienes realmente un juego muy completo, me gustaria, tuviera mas pistas de audio, no siempre lo mismo. Faltaria poder modificar el tablero y tener ranking con amigos. Espero y este juego poco a poco mejore y sera sin duda un contendiente del goty.
  29. Feb 23, 2019
    The only reason I finally registered to Nintendo subscription. Tetris battle royale is the game I never knew I needed.
  30. Feb 22, 2019
    Its a decent game and its free. Not much else to say about it. I enjoyed it and definitely a very unique experience.

1. Sep 11, 2019
    With online tournaments to partake in, new modes like Tetris Invictus where only the elite can compete, and a thriving community of fans logging in every day to play, Tetris 99 might very well represent the pinnacle of the series. It would be nice to have a better variety of tunes to listen to (although themes help alleviate this problem), and the issues with the UI can occasionally make it slightly hard to see what’s happening on-screen, but overall any Switch owner should consider giving Tetris 99 a whirl. This is brilliant game design that deserves the acclaim that has been lavished on it up to this point.
  2. NF Magazine
    Aug 28, 2019
    The best reason to subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online right now! [Issue #39 – May/June 2019, p. 21]
  3. Jun 9, 2019
    If you’re after a royale-y good time you should look much farther than Tetris 99.