5.8

1. Mar 21, 2018
    .......
    Try hard dialogue
    No logic to most puzzles
    Spooky tedium
    ......
  2. Aug 9, 2018
    I came into this game knowing it had poor reviews. It was on sale for $5 and I decided to give it a shot since I was drawn in by its art style, music and trailer for the game. For $15, I can't recommend this game. For $5...maybe. I would probably give this game a 4/10, but I think it deserves an extra point for being a debut game from Painted Black.

I'd like to talk about the good, the

I'd like to talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly in this game.

The Good:
    - Great consistent art style with great lighting effects.
    - Music was fantastic during certain scenes and would give me goose bumps.
    - interesting story.
    - Genuine spooks from a pixel art game? You bet.

The Bad:
    - Music could be better. Instead of songs looping back to themselves, they tend to have a hard stop and a restart. This makes you feel like you've been trying to solve a puzzle for longer than intended.
    - Anticlimactic death. This could be fixed by some screen shake, a change in music, and a more inspired death screen.
    - A few annoying bugs here and there, but nothing that would make the game unplayable.
    - Puzzles seemed to lack logic most of the time, but most of the challenge was wondering around trying to find objects to use. It's a bad feeling running around the entire area only to backtrack to see a very small object you missed.

The Ugly:
    - As many have stated before, the dialogue is dreadful. I thought I could move past this since there wasn't any voice acting, but I found myself audibly yelling at the game to shut up.
    - Gameplay was tedious and boring. You have the ability to sprint, but you can't use it when looking for a new object to glow yellow since you're basically always looking for an object that glows yellow, and you can often miss it if you are running.

Overall, I really wish I enjoyed The Long Reach more. This game has potential, but it is ruined by terrible dialogue, tedious gameplay, illogical puzzles and spotty sound design. The game is only saved from a completely negative review because of its pleasing art direction, some memorable music moments, interesting story and conclusion. I hope Painted Black Games can return with a game with a similar aesthetic, but better writing and gameplay.

1. Apr 20, 2018
    The Long Reach is a fantastic debut from developer Painted Black Games in terms of presentation, but its lacking story (or explanation thereof) and technical hiccups hold it back. If you fancy a short horror experience with sleek, pixel art visuals and classic point and click elements, it's worth giving it a try.
  2. Apr 8, 2018
    If you’re easily frustrated you will probably give up way before the four or so hours it takes to beat the game, which is a shame because it’s a title that has something to give.
  3. Mar 23, 2018
    The greatness of this game relies on its willfulness, trying to carry out a project full of tension, characteristic of the madness and the dilemmas of the science fiction genre. To accomplish that, they introduce insane characters, capable of causing real apprehension, especially accentuated by a good soundtrack. Sadly, all these great ideas fail to amaze us due to a simplistic level design and because it's deprived of terror.