7.1

1. May 20, 2020
    I’m extremely disappointed with this game. I’ve been told it’s an incredible Wii U game and it’s the best Wii U game I never picked up. But it has soo many problems. I have to figure out so much basic stuff by myself. Like I didn’t even know you could change your leader characters until I accidentally pressed -. And speaking of pressing - controlling the other screen is a nightmare!!! WeI’m extremely disappointed with this game. I’ve been told it’s an incredible Wii U game and it’s the best Wii U game I never picked up. But it has soo many problems. I have to figure out so much basic stuff by myself. Like I didn’t even know you could change your leader characters until I accidentally pressed -. And speaking of pressing - controlling the other screen is a nightmare!!! We have games like Splatoon and Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Captain Toad that all had gameplay dependent of the Wii U game pad transfer flawlessly to the Switch and this game falls short of that why? The story is so generalized, a 5 year old child could of written it. The gameplay is alright. But once you get into deeper chapters it gets way too complex way too fast with no warning. And it’s just hard to see your character, your character is the only one with a hurt box And if you get pinned by a foe you can’t see anything. The worst aspect of the game is 100% the camera. The camera controls are total hell and I have no idea how that’s possible from the same team who made Bayonetta and Astral Chain. There is a lot of charm in the game for sure, but you have to look for it. There are so many charming side characters like Wonder-Toilet and Wonder-Gamer and such that you have you go though the hell of the second screen to even know you have them. I’m sure drawing the wonderforms on the gamepad was way more effective then the mess of it is in the switch version. it takes me 3-4 tries to draw a circle for the fist wonder form constantly, it gave me the glider in the middle of combat so many times. And don’t get me started on how precise you have to be you draw the gun. IT’S AN L WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE!!! I want to give this game a chance, because it’s my friend’s favorite Wii U game. But it’s just so annoying to play. Expand
  2. May 20, 2020
    1) Name the port a remaster.
    2) Collect money on kickstarter
    3) ????
    4) Profit!
  3. May 22, 2020
    I really wanted to like this game, but I am very disappointed in it. I supported the Kickstarter and was really looking forward to playing this game, but there is some fundamental issues with the game that inhibit my enjoyment. I don’t like to drop games, but for me it’s not worth playing any longer. The controls are kind of a mess imo. Right stick is annoying to use and the touch screenI really wanted to like this game, but I am very disappointed in it. I supported the Kickstarter and was really looking forward to playing this game, but there is some fundamental issues with the game that inhibit my enjoyment. I don’t like to drop games, but for me it’s not worth playing any longer. The controls are kind of a mess imo. Right stick is annoying to use and the touch screen controls are not much better. The team attack has little effect, not nearly as satisfying as Pikmin’s. Dodge and block can be hit and miss, and not work well. The basic attack is ok, but I don’t feel like I have a lot of options, especially since I can’t change quickly between morphs because the right stick is a pain to draw stuff with. No lock on is super annoying and I target things at random. The camera is a nightmare and the zoom can be so bad.

Everything feels very unintuitive and clunky. I’m not digging it one bit. The story and characters are ok, but definitely not enough to keep me around. I really wanted to like the game, but I’ve been very unimpressed with it so far. I have completed the first operation, but I honestly do not want to play anymore. For platinum, this game doesn’t seem to hold up their standard of quality.
  4. May 23, 2020
    As metacritic says: 7/10 is maximum for this "remaster"

Simple port of mediocre game, not that great as some people were saying
  5. May 23, 2020
    I'm in love with this game. Haven't had this fun since Mario maker 2, it even keeps me away from Animal Crossing!
  6. May 23, 2020
    The one and only question is not whether this game is astonishing or crazy, but if you are ready for it. It’s definitely not the child’s game it looks to be; this ride needs guts and skill in order to reveal its boundless unsurpassed treasures.
  7. May 23, 2020
    I never got to play this game extensively back in the Wii U days, but I'm really having a blast with this now. 20 hours in and it's probably my favorite Platinum Game. I began playing this hot off of my 50ish hour playthrough of Astral Chain, which I think helped me adapt to this game very quickly. I've also played Bayonetta, MGR Revengeance, Okami and God Hand from the same creators, so II never got to play this game extensively back in the Wii U days, but I'm really having a blast with this now. 20 hours in and it's probably my favorite Platinum Game. I began playing this hot off of my 50ish hour playthrough of Astral Chain, which I think helped me adapt to this game very quickly. I've also played Bayonetta, MGR Revengeance, Okami and God Hand from the same creators, so I can into this knowing what to expect.

There is nothing else like this game. No other game that exists is like Wonderful 101, and other Kamiya/Platinum/Clover games are the only ones that come close. The problem: there is no (significant) tutorial. So you see lots of people reviewing professionally and in the user review section who hit a wall very quickly because they don't understand how to play it. This is indeed the game's fault for being a bad teacher, but the game systems themselves are extremely deep and polished. Literally everything has multiple functions and hidden uses and exceptions. This is as much a puzzle game as it is an action game, as a lot of what you're going to be doing is discovering the multitude of different ways to hard-counter every single thing the game throws at you.

TW101 has no cheap shots. Everything, and I mean everything, has a counter-move. Getting shot with a laser? Well, you sword can reflect it back at the enemy. Is that intuitive? God no, but you do feel awesome when you figure it out after seeing it done in a cutscene.

In lieu of the game's lack of a good tutorial, I'd suggest looking up the "Wonderful 101 System Breakdown" videos on YouTube, a couple short videos that actually spell out some important things that the game never tells you, like how lock-on works.

Like a lot of people, I was eating dirt and racking up plastic trophies, but the game is so fast, and replaying stages is so fun and so rewarding with each new combat discovery and the TONS of hidden treasures and stages, that I improved very quickly. And I can not stress enough that I absolutely suck at games. I couldn't beat Bayonetta or MGR. If I can do this, anyone can.

CONTROLS:
    Rather than relying on complex button inputs and timing pauses in combos, Wonderful 101 uses like three buttons and an Okami-like system for drawing glyphs to change your weapon and do combos. The former's true functions are ill-explained and the latter takes a sec to get used to, but both are extremely intuitive and smooth after the first level or two.

LEVELS and Replayability:
    This game is the most varied game I've ever played. The game is ALWAYS giving you something new. Within each level are tons of secret collectibles, and enemies change based on the difficulty you choose.

STORY and AESTHETIC:
    It
    Can
    Not
    Be
    Overstated
    How absolutely fun this game's whole energy is. Every character, every line of dialogue, all of the comedy, the whole mood is *chefs kiss*. This is by far the most enjoyable time I've had with any game on a narrative level. Every boss feels like the final boss of a lesser game, where you fight through final form one after the other and through QTEs in cutscenes (which actually give you points on how well you perform them), all while characters cooler than anyone you've seen in any show deliver great lines. Unless you're a single-molecule brain who like games to be "serious", in which case, this was never the game for you. I'm very much looking forward to what I hear is one of the greatest end-games of all time.

GRAPHICS and Technical junk:
    The game looks great, case closed. It's pretty and vibrant at all time and the tilt-shifted style is awesome. There are no significant framerate issues from my 20 hours of experience. There is often A LOT going on on-screen and that can take getting used to, but it's not impossible. Again, I suck at games, and I've more or less figured out how to pick out enemies in a crowd. The camera sucks sometimes, but the game changes orientation so often that it's never an issue for very long. Sometimes you're too zoomed in, but you can zoom out any time by drawing a line with the right stick.

They 101% could have put more effort into redesigning the UI for this version -- the double screen thing is a pretty dumb solution here, where you can bring up the WiiU's second screen as a picture-in-picture thing to see item description and other minor info. This hardly ever comes up during actual game-play, but yeah, it's a valid nitpick.

CONCLUSION:
    So yeah, game's absolutely great and there's nothing else like it. If you can stop crying about not 'getting it' long enough for the game's system to sink in, you'll quickly find yourself playing and replaying one of the best, freshest, energetic action games from the last 10 years.
  8. May 21, 2020
    thank you kamiya for make this great action game
    and I wish this has great sales

Mixed or average reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. May 25, 2020
    We therefore cannot help but welcome The Wonderful 101 Remastered with open arms, a must for anyone who has admired the Platinum Games creations or the videogame action tout court, had not yet had the opportunity to join the crazy race of Hideki Kamiya and his large task force of polychrome heroes.
  2. May 22, 2020
    Still one of PlatinumGames’ most imaginative and exuberant action games but the refusal to improve the controls or accessibility doom the remaster to further obscurity.
  3. May 20, 2020
    Even though this remaster doesn't address many of the flaws of the original (the camera, the input detection and frame-rate drops), this is still an inventive, colourful and fun beat'em up for everyone.