8.1

1. Sep 4, 2019
    WAIT TO PURCHASE!! I was a big fan of Torchlight 2 on PC and was very much looking forward to the console port. Unfortunately I invested into a very buggy release. On the Switch there are a ton of very obvious bugs that should have been caught during testing and fixed before release. Too many to list for a review, but you can visit /Torchlight on Reddit to see what they are. Some - if youWAIT TO PURCHASE!! I was a big fan of Torchlight 2 on PC and was very much looking forward to the console port. Unfortunately I invested into a very buggy release. On the Switch there are a ton of very obvious bugs that should have been caught during testing and fixed before release. Too many to list for a review, but you can visit /Torchlight on Reddit to see what they are. Some - if you happen to experience them - are game breaking or can mess up the build of your character if you are not paying attention (one in particular displays the wrong description for your stats when you are assigning stat points after you level up - so if you think you are assigning a point to dexterity you might be assigning it to vitality. Pay attention instead to the icon itself). Also, there seems to be some key game play features that are missing, such as weapons switch and pet health/leveling up. The game play omissions WERE NOT SHARED by the developer of publisher. NONE of the "official reviews" have delved into the bugs or missing features. Hopefully what's buggy and missing will be patched/added back in via an update. If so, I will update my review accordingly.

Now, if you are completely new to the Torchlight series, then you should find this game quite enjoyable if you like the loot ARPG genre. That is, Gauntlet like game play but with more special abilities to use and RPG elements to customizing your character. It's not as polished as Diablo 3, but the art style is charming, the animation is fluid, and the action elements are quite visceral. Compared to Diablo 3, your characters will actually swing their weapons and you can feel the impact of hits. The story isn't much to write home about but the main quests and side quests are fun for the sake of game play, loot and experimenting with your character build (as long as you don't experience a game breaking bug). Randomized maps keep the exploration fresh. The music is moody and gothic. You can even customize your pet with armor and fish that will morph your companion into different monsters. Although, since the stats of your pet seems to be missing (experience, level, health, mana and more), there doesn't seem to be much point in equipping your pet as there was in the PC version. Hopefully this will be added back in.

If you are looking for a fun ARPG loot experience on Switch, then Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 will be your top 2 choices. If you don't have Diablo 3, get Diablo 3 first. If you do have Diablo 3 already and are looking for a new but similar fix, then Torchlight 2 is a good alternative. However, with all the bugs and missing features, don't expect an accurate translation of the PC version. Whereas Diablo 3 felt like an enhanced version of the PC game when it was ported to console with added dodge roll and couch co-op, Torchlight 2 feels incomplete, like it was rushed for release due to missing game play features (that were not shared in anyway except for 6 player online co-op being reduced to 4 player online co-op on console) and various bugs. I personally regret jumping the gun on pre-purchasing just to get the additional pre-order pet and not waiting for user feedback on the release. Not to say that the game is not enjoyable, as there are players enjoying it! But Torchlight 2 on Switch is sub par port quality compared to previous work done by Panic Button. My recommendation - wait or invest into other games until bugs and missing features are fixed via updates.
  2. Sep 8, 2019
    Disappointing because still no couch co-op or split screen feature unlike Diablo 3. Would've ranked much higher if I could've played this wonderful game with my friends.

1. Sep 13, 2019
    Torchlight II is as fun on the Switch as it was back when it launched on PCs seven years ago. The controls on the Switch feel pretty good and eased my worries about transitioning from PC to console. While a lot of the game is basically fighting enemies, collecting loot, and repeat, if you’re into games like the Diablo series you should enjoy Torchlight II, and at a third of the price of Diablo III (at least on the Switch), Torchlight II is a great alternative.
  2. Sep 13, 2019
    Torchlight is a good portage of a still good game, and it's great to play it everywhere on your Switch. But unfortunately, it lacks a local multiplayer mode on one console.
    Torchlight II is a cleverly designed game which is decidedly good at what it does – even if it is following a fundamentally flawed design philosophy. Its gameplay is compulsive and honestly a little bit vapid: the incessant grind and push forward is neither intellectually stimulating nor conducive to big, memorable moments. My time through Torchlight II is really just a blur of primary colours and explosions of gibs. If that’s what you need, and you’re able to look past the very deliberate shortcomings, then this will be a game that you will find hard to put down.