7.3

1. May 31, 2019
    This game is like a dumbed down cross between Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem and is not nearly as good as either. Balance is iffy, units are bland and there is very little actual difference between factions.
  2. Feb 13, 2019
    While it certainly looks the part, Wargroove fails to capture what really made the Advance Wars games so tight and exciting.
    Not everyone can be as polished as Intelligent Systems is with turn based strategy but this game's attempt boils down to little more than Trial and Error level design.
    Just gotta play a level once to learn where enemies will spawn, die, and play again since you know what's gonna happen. Suddenly the map is easy.

I stopped playing once I played the first two missions of Act IV and nothing truly new or game changing showed itself. I have no intention on going back to this tedium.

There may be some value to this game if you get really into multiplayer but it over all offers nothing compelling other than the sweet and charming graphics and easy to use map editor.

Recommend for ONLY if you are a die hard turn based strategy person.
  3. Aug 9, 2019
    I loved Advanced Wars so in an attempt to fill that void I gave Wargroove more chances than I normally would but after 25 missions or so in the main campaign I just can't do it anymore. This game is like slamming your head against a wall. Every mission is too long, the maps are too big which leads to a lot of filler turns. I don't know how anyone thought this was fun mission design. AlsoI loved Advanced Wars so in an attempt to fill that void I gave Wargroove more chances than I normally would but after 25 missions or so in the main campaign I just can't do it anymore. This game is like slamming your head against a wall. Every mission is too long, the maps are too big which leads to a lot of filler turns. I don't know how anyone thought this was fun mission design. Also the majority of the missions just feel so rinse and repeat that it becomes exhausting after awhile. The whole leader mechanism means you're often one absentminded move from having to start a 30 minute mission all over again because if your leader dies, that's it. Game over. And so many of the turns feel rote that it's easy to lose track of what enemies are nearby and that dragon half way across the map suddenly becomes the harbinger of your doom.

Long story short, I rage quitted this game a lot.
  4. Apr 28, 2019
    Kind of disappointed with this Fire Emblem clone. The gameplay isn't bad but the levels seemed unbeatable if you didn't play exactly how the game wanted you to. This made me have to replay certain levels a ton, causing me to eventually put the game aside. I don't mind difficult levels, but early levels that are teaching the basics shouldn't need that much replay to beat. If you can get itKind of disappointed with this Fire Emblem clone. The gameplay isn't bad but the levels seemed unbeatable if you didn't play exactly how the game wanted you to. This made me have to replay certain levels a ton, causing me to eventually put the game aside. I don't mind difficult levels, but early levels that are teaching the basics shouldn't need that much replay to beat. If you can get it cheap, go ahead and try it. It does have very good graphics. Otherwise, wait for Fire Emblem. Expand
  5. Feb 23, 2019
    I give this game a 7, because in every way other than balance, it is fantastic, but the glaring balance problems in the campaign are sucking away all the fun I could be having. At default difficulty, you basically have to be perfect to complete late game levels in the campaign, and that is made infinitely more problematic when you consider how long some of the missions are, and the factI give this game a 7, because in every way other than balance, it is fantastic, but the glaring balance problems in the campaign are sucking away all the fun I could be having. At default difficulty, you basically have to be perfect to complete late game levels in the campaign, and that is made infinitely more problematic when you consider how long some of the missions are, and the fact that there are absolutely no checkpoints! The "get good" mindset does not incentivize developers to make good and well-balanced games, and that end product only serves to turn away people who play games to relax! It's great that there are so many options for adjusting the difficulty, but if by the end of the campaign, I have to dial down the enemy damage to less than 75% to be able to survive even 1 strategic mistake, or have to redo an hour+ mission, makes this game less fun than it should be. There's still so much fun to be had with this game, between the arcade mode, and the map editor, and if you go into the campaign with the difficulty adjusted down, that can be fun as well, so I still recommend getting it. Expand
  6. Feb 6, 2019
    As a veteran and fan of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem series I eagerly awaited this game for a long time.
    The game does a lot of things right. The music and the graphics are both good. The art style is cool and the design of the factions. The map editor is also very powerful and a feature that is really outstanding. I like the fact that you can share your creations online and play against other players, even though I‘m not planning to play this game online a lot.
    However, there a some things that I don’t like that much. It’s kind of like Advance Wars, but is somehow different at some points. Sadly I feel like a lot of things that differ are not better than in AW, they’re worse. I don’t like that units can’t occupy a village space for example.
    The biggest disappointment for me was the main campaign. The difficulty was way to high to enjoy the game and the scenarios are way too long in my opinion. In the third scenario I didn’t even get S-Rank the first time. And at that point I didn’t even know every unit or mechanic in the game. It just feels tedious to lose in round 20 because you made a small mistake. This is an hour of my time wasted to frustration. I don’t need to win every game first time like a breeze, but AW never felt that frustrating.
    Afternoon I expected more. The story is pretty generic, so no surprises here.

It’s still a good game and I would recommend it, but don’t think you’re getting an Advance Wars successor. Advance Wars was perfect in it‘s simplicity and felt more polished regarding the game mechanics.

Maybe some things will be patched in the future, who knows.
  7. Aug 27, 2019
    It is a good game no doubt and it also is pretty well ported to the Switch but all in all it misses something. I can't say what it is but after I've played it through I felt something was missing. Still a good game though.
  8. Nov 21, 2019
    J'ai attendu ce jeu longtemps, je suis fan d'Advance Wars 2 et je voulais retrouver le plaisir du jeu.
    D'un coté le jeu est sublime, la BO géniale et la campagne interessante. le design des factions est cool
    De l'autre les maps sont beaucoup trop grande, les parties longues et je ne retrouve pas le fun de l'ile SPAM d'advance wars ( que j'ai du faire 50 fois ) De plus il y a 4 factions
    De plus il y a 4 factions et à part les skin, rien ne change, pas d'unité propre a une faction ni de bonus/malus. ( la faction de la foret ne devrait pas avoir de malus de déplacement en foret....etc)
    Le jeu est bin
  9. Apr 9, 2020
    Un videojuego muy sólido que no se aleja lo suficiente de sus influencias para que su jugabilidad se haga valer por si misma. Y en algunos apartados incluso se siente como un paso atrás.
  10. Apr 5, 2020
    I enjoyed this game for the most part but there were a few things that irritated me quite a bit. First the AI runs away and hides when they start to lose to a ridiculous extent. You cannot check the AI you must checkmate them all in one turn. I also didn't like the rating system because it kind of forces you to replay and cheese certain maps.
  11. Oct 1, 2020
    I would have given the very good game a 9 out of 10 points. But since I am banned to play only black people and woman, I cannot identify with the main characters of the game since I am one of maybe 75% withe male people who want to play this game.

It is very good like Advance wars, rhough. Sory guys, I do not see my iwn text here anymore on my smarthpone so I have to quit writing.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 28, 2019
    Wargroove is a safe bet even in the face of other more prominent franchises. [Issue #39 – May/June 2019, p. 28]
  2. Mar 27, 2019
    Wargroove goes further than Advance Wars, with a map editor and a more permissive campaign. With a strong gameplay, neat animation and beautiful art, it’s difficult to find any true flaw to Wargroove.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Feb 28, 2019
    It's a game that follows the steps of another while changing the rhythm - and in doing so, never settles into its own groove. [Issue#330, p.114]