7.3

1. Feb 2, 2019
    Wargroove is a very solid successor to Advance Wars, though I have to admit, I fell into the all-too-common trap of hyping myself up for this game. In theory, this game would have improved on the Advance Wars model, but it seems to have taken some steps back in certain areas.

Firstly, the game is still fantastic and a great buy for the Switch. I debated between handheld or PC and I think the game is just better on-the-go rather than for the desktop. With the ability to play local co-op, you'll always be prepared to entertain a buddy on those cross-state drives, on long-flights or just waiting around somewhere. The game is aesthetically pleasing and all of the unit models look pretty good.

Now. . . one of the most disappointing aspects of Wargroove is the lack of faction unit bonuses/penalties. The basic infantry unit has the same stats across the board for all leaders. My favorite CO from Advance Wars was Grit- a marksman that improved the range and power of all ranged units, at the cost of all other units becoming worse. I have to admit, I'm sure the way the developers have chosen is better for balanced-gameplay, but I feel like the cost to fun was too great. I especially feel this way about the undead faction- a classic epitome in Fantasy of low-cost, large quantity minions. Unfortunately, they play like everyone else.

On a related note, the game currently does not have any unique units for the four factions, another frustration that would have been relatively easy to add. Honestly, just one or two per faction would have sufficed- instead, the units just have different names.

Overall, if you enjoyed Advance Wars, picking up Wargroove would be a smart play. If not, you may still find some value in your purchase yet- not to mention, who knows what the developers have in store for the future? If they do add some uniqueness and flavor to their factions, this game could easily be 9/10.
  2. May 3, 2019
    Wargroove is absolutely fantastic. If you are a fan of strategy games, you can safely buy it. Waiting for a new Advance Wars or Fire Emblem is the perfect entertainment, especially after the latest patches that have balanced the difficulty.
  3. Jun 28, 2019
    It will scratch your Fire Emblem itch. A solid basic story with great gameplay. It feels so good to build your units and eventually take over your opponent. The heroes have some variety in their special skills, but I always seemed to want more. I wished each faction had a special unit. They all started to feel the same as the game progressed.
  4. Feb 1, 2019
    It's got everything going for it: a nostalgic feel that's not plagiaristic, retro graphics that are done well, and fun gameplay that can be customized in terms of challenge. It's a bit heavy on the "strong female" characters, but we can forgive that because it's so good overall.
  5. Feb 2, 2019
    I love the game so far, great maps, great story and characters, the only thing i can't stand and keeps it away from a 10 out of 10 is the fact that you can't place the long range troops where you want and then attack, you must place it where the calculations want and you can't see how much range they have to make the strategy factor more robust.
  6. Jun 1, 2019
    Very fun turn based strategy a la Advance Wars. Asynchronous online multiplayer. Love it. :)
  7. Mar 14, 2019
    Tough, cute, clever, nostalgic and full of features to keep you entertained for long. Just an AWESOME GAME.
  8. Feb 4, 2019
    People have been waiting for a solid Advance Wars successor for 11 years, and Wargroove definitely lives up to the hype. The game is phenomenal. A great campaign, "war room" type arcade maps, online CROSS PLATFORM multiplayer, and a ridiculously customizable map and campaign editor, this game jams in a ton for $20.

I would be giving this game a 9.5, but since metacritic doesn't allow

I would be giving this game a 9.5, but since metacritic doesn't allow for that, I'm rounding it up. The devs have been incredibly responsive to user feedback, and are implementing a bunch of fixes that players have been wanting on day 1 (keep in mind, day 1 was Friday, and they are already pushing updates on the following Monday). Over time, this game will be even greater than it was on release, and for anyone that likes Advance wars and Fire Emblem, this is a great game to pick up.

And it's $20.
  9. Mar 14, 2019
    I wanted a new Advance Wars game. I got something better. I'll focus this review on just one of the changes that make Wargroove the best Advance Wars.

Having the CO on the field is brilliant. In Advance Wars, you had to capture the HQ to win, which led to drawn-out fights where you had to kill every last unit that could stand on it. With Wargroove, if you're winning, you can finish

Having the CO on the field is brilliant.

In Advance Wars, you had to capture the HQ to win, which led to drawn-out fights where you had to kill every last unit that could stand on it. With Wargroove, if you're winning, you can finish the match right away by gunning for their CO.

The CO is powerful enough to add a risk / reward aspect, too. You're not gonna bury your CO deep in the backlines like a king in chess.

Your CO's unique power influences all your choices. Your units synergize with their CO - like Emeric's mages or Greenfinger's artillery. So each CO is going to do well with a different army composition.

And that's just scratching the surface; the game's incredible in so many other ways.
  10. Feb 7, 2019
    TLDR; Amazing game more similar to Advance Wars than Fire Emblem. Good story line. Fun game play for the go, especially in handheld mode.

Full Review; I was hesitant because I loved Advance Wars, but more for the style of war with Tanks and Troops and didn't feel I would like this with Dragons, and Tree People. I was wrong. its quite enjoyable. I have hardly noticed the change in skin. I will say I have played many Fire Emblem games and never got very far into them. Advance Wars I've finished every game. WarGroove I am near finished with. Im excited to play local co-op with friends just like I did many years ago with Advance Wars.

#JonTonReview
  11. Feb 24, 2019
    I was really scared I am not gonna like this game but it's adorable and hella fun and addicting!
    it made me get to the 5% battery warning without noticing :D
    it has cute characters it's cute and silly in a nice way. the characters are cute and nice IMO. (the tree girl is adorable) the mechanics are fun too! I really love the artstyle and this game looks very pretty! it can be a
    it made me get to the 5% battery warning without noticing :D

it can be a little frustrating to lose sometimes or make dumb mistakes but I love it

one downside: it's very hard to tell what units the icons are referring to in the effective or vulnerable page!
  12. Feb 8, 2019
    i really generally dislike turn based games, especially rpgs... but wargroove is, like advance wars totally focused on pure strategy gameplay without all the pointless filler material, its like chess but much much more fun! the longevity is incredible due to the extremely robust editor and online, overall an incredible game everyone should try even if they dont like turn based strat buti really generally dislike turn based games, especially rpgs... but wargroove is, like advance wars totally focused on pure strategy gameplay without all the pointless filler material, its like chess but much much more fun! the longevity is incredible due to the extremely robust editor and online, overall an incredible game everyone should try even if they dont like turn based strat but especially if they do. Expand
  13. Feb 5, 2019
    This game is solid. If you're looking for a Fire Emblem-esque experience while waiting for the real Fire Emblem game to drop, then Wargroove will definitely hold you over. Not to mention Chucklefish has promised free updates, free DLC, and other expansions to the already complete game. For $20, you cannot go wrong!
  14. Feb 4, 2019
    It’s a perfect turn-based rpg with everything going for it: the whole vibe is great, animations are well done, story campaign and the whole cast of Heroes are Engaging. It’s a lot of fun either single player or in multi player mode.
  15. Nov 22, 2019
    Love this game for the casualness and simplicity of strategic game, and it has multiplayer mode. That's a super plus for me.
  16. Mar 4, 2020
    Lo mejor del juego es el gameplay. La historia no dice mucho ni engancha pero es muy divertido de jugar y pasar el rato con él.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 28, 2019
    Wargroove is a safe bet even in the face of other more prominent franchises. [Issue #39 – May/June 2019, p. 28]
  2. Mar 27, 2019
    Wargroove goes further than Advance Wars, with a map editor and a more permissive campaign. With a strong gameplay, neat animation and beautiful art, it’s difficult to find any true flaw to Wargroove.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Feb 28, 2019
    It's a game that follows the steps of another while changing the rhythm - and in doing so, never settles into its own groove. [Issue#330, p.114]