7.8

1. Jul 7, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Had this game for the PS4 for some time and was very glad to see it come to the Switch. What Remains Of Edith Finch is one of those must own games, it's just perfect in every way. The graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is relaxing and rewarding, the score is fantastic, the voice acting is never over the top or poorly delivered and the writing is just incredible. Lewis' story alone paints a better picture of dealing with mental health issues than games like Sensuas Sacrifice or more recently Sea Of Solitude. Don't go in expecting to be running around shooting things or solving complex puzzles. This game is all about experiencing a story very well told, It's the game equivalent of a book you just can't put down, and when you're done you want to play again. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2019
    As I saw the pictures I thougt it will be a normal adventure game. Maybe a point and click kind. But this game is far from beeing a normal adventure game :-) Right after the game started I started to be impressed. The game is about two years old - not sure on which system it came before, but on the switch it looks really great. and I mean it!
    You take a role of a young girl, who revisits
    You take a role of a young girl, who revisits their old house, where a lot of people died. And you should look into the history.
    You take the role of the other memebers of the Finch family and looks through their eyes on the last day of their lives.
    The game is pretty forward going. You shouldnt get lost. If you enter a room, you will just see everything possible and then go to the next room. You can not go back. the passage always closes after you. So you cant get lost. And this is what I like! I spent so many time when I was 20 years youner on adventure games, solving real hard puzzles, that I now really enjoy this one!!!
    Its a must from my point of view...
  3. Aug 17, 2019
    I mean that was LIT. This game is not just a game. It's not a movie as some people like to say. It is a masterpiece that should be staged at some frckn museum. It is not just good, but it is GLORIOUS.
    I cried and I laughed. I did enjoy it very much (as you might see already). HIGHLY RECOMMEND
  4. Jan 3, 2020
    This is a highly creative narrative experience. It will surprise and shock you, and it has some replay value for me as the stories are varied and interesting. I highly recommend it for players interested in interactive storytelling, it is full of surprising ideas and creativity. Also runs well and looks very good on Switch. The downside is that - while you will relate the stories to yourThis is a highly creative narrative experience. It will surprise and shock you, and it has some replay value for me as the stories are varied and interesting. I highly recommend it for players interested in interactive storytelling, it is full of surprising ideas and creativity. Also runs well and looks very good on Switch. The downside is that - while you will relate the stories to your own life - they are ultimately forgettable and have a B movie “shocker” feeling to them. It fortunately also manages to stay away from being pretentious (like Life is Strange) and taking itself too seriously, but I usually expect these interactive experiences to try saying something deeper, like Firewatch about escapism or Eliza about various modern dystopian developments. The game is great but feels a bit shallow. Compared to e.g. Firewatch it doesn’t reach a high level of immersion as everything is episodic, and episodes are short and seem to serve rather short attention spans (i.e. very fun but somehow reducing immersion), even if you look at everything in the rooms. At a price of 20 bucks it is also very short, it took me a bit over 3 hours and I explored everything without rushing. I recommend to buy it, but to wait for a sale. Expand
  5. Jul 18, 2019
    A beautiful story and a great game, plus the option of play it wherever you want with the Switch is simply great. I totally recommend it!
  6. Oct 3, 2019
    Initially I just wanted to write down the word "Beautiful" since it is the only word that came to my mind describing this game but I had to write at least 75 characters.
  7. Aug 15, 2019
    The game is 98% on rails. An interactive story on rails. It is not a game. If you want to have a 3 hour interactive movie with your partner next to you on the couch, then it is fun.
  8. Jul 17, 2019
    It's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard toIt's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard to connect with the characters for such a short time. Ending felt too predictable. Felt that 20Eur is too much for such a short experience. Expand
  9. Sep 19, 2019
    One of the worse games I ever played in my life. There is nothing good about that game.
  10. Aug 2, 2019
    It's a walking sim with a pointless story summarized by one single sentence "everybody dies in weird ways in the finch family"
  11. May 19, 2020
    Terrific emotional narrative told in very creative ways. Some will spout the tired complaint that it's not a real game. There are no real puzzles and no fail state that I am aware of. But if you don't like the interactive narrative style, why would you play this game?

Sure it's a "walking simulator", but it's possibly the best of the kind.
  12. Dec 4, 2019
    What Remains of Edit Finch is possibly the only example of magical realism applied to gaming. If you like reading, and in particular if you like authors like García Márquez and Borges, then you'll love What Remains of Edith Finch.
    In its genre, Edith Finch easily beats similar experiences such as Gone Home and Firewatch, and will come up in conversation for a long time as a modern classic. It's a game that anybody with an interest in interactive fiction should play. Its imagery and the feelings it evokes will likely stay with you for a long time.
    If you're looking for a traditional game, on the other hand, you should steer clear. There are no challenges of any kind in Edith Finch–just a short but brilliantly designed story, and a fantastic sense of place. The interactivity is essential to the experience, but it's limited to a railroaded path, and a few minor opportunities to interact with objects.
  13. Nov 4, 2020
    A word of caution to avoid disappointment: a fine interactive novel, but NOT a video game!
  14. Oct 7, 2019
    This is probably the best example of a 'walking sim' I have played. On the narrative front, the game delivers a pretty emotional story and explores themes of death, family and regret. It's pretty heavy stuff, but manages to inject a childlike magical whimsy to it all. Speaking of, the design of the environment does an excellent job at creating a realistic and lived in place, but alsoThis is probably the best example of a 'walking sim' I have played. On the narrative front, the game delivers a pretty emotional story and explores themes of death, family and regret. It's pretty heavy stuff, but manages to inject a childlike magical whimsy to it all. Speaking of, the design of the environment does an excellent job at creating a realistic and lived in place, but also delivering on the aforementioned magical whimsy, that makes you wish you grew up where the game took place.

The game also comes up with clever ways in incorporating interactivity in its narrative that does a lot to bridge the gap between the narrative and gameplay. While, I don't mind games with limited interactivity such as Dear Esther, What remains of Edith Finch is a better example of how to marry the general 'walking sim' feeling of narrative and exploration and the interactivity that sets games apart from other mediums.
  15. Jan 29, 2022
    I finally played 'What remains of Edith Finch' the other day - had been putting it off for so long, because I often find these story/walking simulator games to be quite boring, but had heard good things about it, so had to give it a go. And holy **** **** I'm glad I did! What a game. An absolute gem. One of the very best video games I've ever played. Incredibly imaginative and creative,I finally played 'What remains of Edith Finch' the other day - had been putting it off for so long, because I often find these story/walking simulator games to be quite boring, but had heard good things about it, so had to give it a go. And holy **** **** I'm glad I did! What a game. An absolute gem. One of the very best video games I've ever played. Incredibly imaginative and creative, and just a pioneering video gaming title I'd say. We'll look to this one day and say - "they started it". Story-telling and interactivity is just top top notch. I can't recommend it enough. Only takes 2-3 hours - just play it! Expand
  16. Jun 2, 2020
    The game is very nice, Replayability: 510
    Playability: 810
    Graphics: 810
    Sound: 1010
    Story: 1010
    Artistically amazing and unique, sad, full of adventure.
  17. Aug 29, 2020
    This is truly a piece of art. From the moment you begin, you are gradually enveloped into an amazing story. I loved the unique ways you experience each family member's life story. It's sometimes funny and sometimes very strange, but the emotional undercurrent continues to lead you through a narrative adventure with loads of twists and turns. I've played several of these types of "games,"This is truly a piece of art. From the moment you begin, you are gradually enveloped into an amazing story. I loved the unique ways you experience each family member's life story. It's sometimes funny and sometimes very strange, but the emotional undercurrent continues to lead you through a narrative adventure with loads of twists and turns. I've played several of these types of "games," and this one is definitely the best one I've played so far. Expand
  18. Jun 22, 2020
    An absorbing, beautiful 'walking sim', the first of its kind that I've found to be genuinely engaging. I wish there was more puzzle solving, though.
  19. Sep 14, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly really enjoyed the story of the Finch family, though I will admit I have some problems with it. The game has only 1 correct path you can take and if you miss something and go through the next checkpoint you will never get to see what you missed. The idea of a twisting maze of a house is amazing, and it is fun to explore. I honestly loved the game up till the very end. My girlfriend was showing me this game as she had played with before, and at one point, about halfway through the game, I said to her "If Edith dies at the end I'm going to be so mad at this game." Low and behold the ending she apparently died in child birth. It felt like an attempt at a sad ending but it just felt pointless. Other issues include never getting to learn Grandma Edie's story near the end and never actually learning WHY the Finch family is cursed, which was a huge interest for me. What Remains of Edith Finch, a bittersweet game whose ending felt far too bitter to be sweet. Expand
  20. Apr 25, 2021
    This game/storytelling experience is SOLID. Beautiful from top to bottom, the mysteries you explore and the tragedies you reveal are sad and comical, fantastical and mundane. It's easy to believe in this house's existence and the girl you are, searching it.

I can't recommend Annapurna Interactive's games highly enough.
  21. Nov 26, 2021
    Good

- the way you got to control the past family members is really cool - the labyrinth in the house was interesting to navigate - voice acting is great - the story is mysterious and enticing. Draws you in. The theme is so heavy. About death. Gregory's pov was so cute but outcome was so sad. - Lewis's story was sooo creative in every way. Showing the monotony of his task
    Good

- the way you got to control the past family members is really cool

- the labyrinth in the house was interesting to navigate

- voice acting is great

- Lewis's story was sooo creative in every way. Showing the monotony of his task and how his mind wandered so much he did the unthinkable.

- this is probably the first time I actually looked at the credits, because it wasn't just a bunch of names but showed photos of their childhood, which somehow added this sentimental connection combined with the music. It made me want to know who worked on this master piece.

- the ending is so sad. Makes you think about life and death.

Bad

- nothing. For a story based walking sim, it's perfect.
  22. Mar 17, 2022
    A very interesting means to tell a story. Very engaging, but overall just perhaps a bit too short.
  23. Feb 25, 2022
    Beautiful and unique experience. I thought this game was going to be like depressive but it was not. Nostalgic, heartwarming, sometimes heartbreaking, and overall this game felt very human.
  24. Oct 15, 2021
    What an absolutely stunning game. It's light on gameplay elements, but it's so rich in story and art that it sucked me right in. It might not be everybody's cup of tea: you probably need to be a fan of narrative driven games. The lack of a run feature might upset some players too, but it's not a long game so it should hardly be a huge problem. If you're umming and ahhing over it then justWhat an absolutely stunning game. It's light on gameplay elements, but it's so rich in story and art that it sucked me right in. It might not be everybody's cup of tea: you probably need to be a fan of narrative driven games. The lack of a run feature might upset some players too, but it's not a long game so it should hardly be a huge problem. If you're umming and ahhing over it then just give it a go. The creativity in this game is astounding. Highly recommended. Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2021
    A work of art in every sense of the word. This is a masterpiece, brimming with creativity and imagination. What's more it's one of the best looking games on the switch and well ported. I have no idea how people make such fantastic games as this, but they all deserve our money and support. Buy it.
  26. Mar 8, 2022
    流程只有两个小时,但是这个是让我晕3d最严重的一个游戏,导致玩起来是真的累,剧情聊胜于无但是叙事确实担得起年度最佳,相当有新意的叙事,除此之外虽然是一个错综复杂的房子但是引导做的格外好,用各种冷暖光影对比告诉你应该往哪里探索,算是近期玩的在探索引导方面做的最好的之一了,地图设计也很不错,在一个房子内设计这么多内容确实很厉害,总体游戏体验还是相当好的流程只有两个小时,但是这个是让我晕3d最严重的一个游戏,导致玩起来是真的累,剧情聊胜于无但是叙事确实担得起年度最佳,相当有新意的叙事,除此之外虽然是一个错综复杂的房子但是引导做的格外好,用各种冷暖光影对比告诉你应该往哪里探索,算是近期玩的在探索引导方面做的最好的之一了,地图设计也很不错,在一个房子内设计这么多内容确实很厉害,总体游戏体验还是相当好的

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 19, 2019
    Better late than never, What Remains of Edith Finch is quite simply a storytelling masterpiece that’s both tragic and life-affirming. Even if your time with the Finch family is short and bitterly sweet, it’s an unforgettable experience.
  2. Aug 1, 2019
    If you are looking for an engaging narrative that you can complete in a single sitting, then What Remains of Edith Finch is the perfect summer title for you. In many ways, it reminded me of a good book or film. It opens with a promising tale and then builds on the premise with each chapter; or, in the game’s case, each bedroom and family member. The short length may deter some, but the experience is fleshed out and fully realized. Like a good book or movie, it is something you’ll return to. Sure, some of the mystery may be lost in subsequent replays, but the story is so engrossing that you may discover elements you missed our first-time through. It’s an exceptional experience and one that will change the way you think about video game storytelling.
    I can’t recommend What Remains of Edith Finch enough if anyone has yet to play it. With so many incredible games that are currently coming to Switch, it’s important to support the special titles coming from publisher Annapurna Interactive. Its explorations of loss and tragedy left me emotional on numerous occasions, yet it also holds an uplifting and edifying emotional core. This experience remains undiminished thanks to a comprehensive port that doesn’t make any drastic sacrifices to the performance and visuals. As far as I’m concerned, it’s required reading for those passionate about storytelling in video games.