7.8

1. Jul 7, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Had this game for the PS4 for some time and was very glad to see it come to the Switch. What Remains Of Edith Finch is one of those must own games, it's just perfect in every way. The graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is relaxing and rewarding, the score is fantastic, the voice acting is never over the top or poorly delivered and the writing is just incredible. Lewis' story alone paints a better picture of dealing with mental health issues than games like Sensuas Sacrifice or more recently Sea Of Solitude. Don't go in expecting to be running around shooting things or solving complex puzzles. This game is all about experiencing a story very well told, It's the game equivalent of a book you just can't put down, and when you're done you want to play again. Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2019
    As I saw the pictures I thougt it will be a normal adventure game. Maybe a point and click kind. But this game is far from beeing a normal adventure game :-) Right after the game started I started to be impressed. The game is about two years old - not sure on which system it came before, but on the switch it looks really great. and I mean it!
    You take a role of a young girl, who revisits
    You take a role of a young girl, who revisits their old house, where a lot of people died. And you should look into the history.
    You take the role of the other memebers of the Finch family and looks through their eyes on the last day of their lives.
    The game is pretty forward going. You shouldnt get lost. If you enter a room, you will just see everything possible and then go to the next room. You can not go back. the passage always closes after you. So you cant get lost. And this is what I like! I spent so many time when I was 20 years youner on adventure games, solving real hard puzzles, that I now really enjoy this one!!!
    Its a must from my point of view...
  3. Jan 3, 2020
    This is a highly creative narrative experience. It will surprise and shock you, and it has some replay value for me as the stories are varied and interesting. I highly recommend it for players interested in interactive storytelling, it is full of surprising ideas and creativity. Also runs well and looks very good on Switch. The downside is that - while you will relate the stories to yourThis is a highly creative narrative experience. It will surprise and shock you, and it has some replay value for me as the stories are varied and interesting. I highly recommend it for players interested in interactive storytelling, it is full of surprising ideas and creativity. Also runs well and looks very good on Switch. The downside is that - while you will relate the stories to your own life - they are ultimately forgettable and have a B movie “shocker” feeling to them. It fortunately also manages to stay away from being pretentious (like Life is Strange) and taking itself too seriously, but I usually expect these interactive experiences to try saying something deeper, like Firewatch about escapism or Eliza about various modern dystopian developments. The game is great but feels a bit shallow. Compared to e.g. Firewatch it doesn’t reach a high level of immersion as everything is episodic, and episodes are short and seem to serve rather short attention spans (i.e. very fun but somehow reducing immersion), even if you look at everything in the rooms. At a price of 20 bucks it is also very short, it took me a bit over 3 hours and I explored everything without rushing. I recommend to buy it, but to wait for a sale. Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2019
    A beautiful story and a great game, plus the option of play it wherever you want with the Switch is simply great. I totally recommend it!
  5. Aug 17, 2019
    I mean that was LIT. This game is not just a game. It's not a movie as some people like to say. It is a masterpiece that should be staged at some frckn museum. It is not just good, but it is GLORIOUS.
    I cried and I laughed. I did enjoy it very much (as you might see already). HIGHLY RECOMMEND
  6. Oct 3, 2019
    Initially I just wanted to write down the word "Beautiful" since it is the only word that came to my mind describing this game but I had to write at least 75 characters.
  7. Aug 15, 2019
    The game is 98% on rails. An interactive story on rails. It is not a game. If you want to have a 3 hour interactive movie with your partner next to you on the couch, then it is fun.
  8. Jul 17, 2019
    It's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard toIt's hardly a game, it feels like a short interactive story with unique narrative design. I love when the story mixes up with some gameplay elements like puzzles, but here you just walk and look around. Environments are packed with huge amount of very nuanced stuff and it's hard not to appreciate attention to details. The game is extremely short though, about 2 hours, and it's hard to connect with the characters for such a short time. Ending felt too predictable. Felt that 20Eur is too much for such a short experience. Expand
  9. Sep 19, 2019
    One of the worse games I ever played in my life. There is nothing good about that game.
  10. Aug 2, 2019
    It's a walking sim with a pointless story summarized by one single sentence "everybody dies in weird ways in the finch family"
  11. May 19, 2020
    Terrific emotional narrative told in very creative ways. Some will spout the tired complaint that it's not a real game. There are no real puzzles and no fail state that I am aware of. But if you don't like the interactive narrative style, why would you play this game?

Sure it's a "walking simulator", but it's possibly the best of the kind.
  12. Dec 4, 2019
    What Remains of Edit Finch is possibly the only example of magical realism applied to gaming. If you like reading, and in particular if you like authors like García Márquez and Borges, then you'll love What Remains of Edith Finch.
    In its genre, Edith Finch easily beats similar experiences such as Gone Home and Firewatch, and will come up in conversation for a long time as a modern classic. It's a game that anybody with an interest in interactive fiction should play. Its imagery and the feelings it evokes will likely stay with you for a long time.
    If you're looking for a traditional game, on the other hand, you should steer clear. There are no challenges of any kind in Edith Finch–just a short but brilliantly designed story, and a fantastic sense of place. The interactivity is essential to the experience, but it's limited to a railroaded path, and a few minor opportunities to interact with objects.
  13. Oct 7, 2019
    This is probably the best example of a 'walking sim' I have played. On the narrative front, the game delivers a pretty emotional story and explores themes of death, family and regret. It's pretty heavy stuff, but manages to inject a childlike magical whimsy to it all. Speaking of, the design of the environment does an excellent job at creating a realistic and lived in place, but alsoThis is probably the best example of a 'walking sim' I have played. On the narrative front, the game delivers a pretty emotional story and explores themes of death, family and regret. It's pretty heavy stuff, but manages to inject a childlike magical whimsy to it all. Speaking of, the design of the environment does an excellent job at creating a realistic and lived in place, but also delivering on the aforementioned magical whimsy, that makes you wish you grew up where the game took place.

The game also comes up with clever ways in incorporating interactivity in its narrative that does a lot to bridge the gap between the narrative and gameplay. While, I don't mind games with limited interactivity such as Dear Esther, What remains of Edith Finch is a better example of how to marry the general 'walking sim' feeling of narrative and exploration and the interactivity that sets games apart from other mediums.
  14. Jun 2, 2020
    The game is very nice, Replayability: 510
    Playability: 810
    Graphics: 810
    Sound: 1010
    Story: 1010
    Artistically amazing and unique, sad, full of adventure.
  15. Aug 29, 2020
    This is truly a piece of art. From the moment you begin, you are gradually enveloped into an amazing story. I loved the unique ways you experience each family member's life story. It's sometimes funny and sometimes very strange, but the emotional undercurrent continues to lead you through a narrative adventure with loads of twists and turns. I've played several of these types of "games,"This is truly a piece of art. From the moment you begin, you are gradually enveloped into an amazing story. I loved the unique ways you experience each family member's life story. It's sometimes funny and sometimes very strange, but the emotional undercurrent continues to lead you through a narrative adventure with loads of twists and turns. I've played several of these types of "games," and this one is definitely the best one I've played so far. Expand
  16. Jun 22, 2020
    An absorbing, beautiful 'walking sim', the first of its kind that I've found to be genuinely engaging. I wish there was more puzzle solving, though.
  17. Sep 14, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly really enjoyed the story of the Finch family, though I will admit I have some problems with it. The game has only 1 correct path you can take and if you miss something and go through the next checkpoint you will never get to see what you missed. The idea of a twisting maze of a house is amazing, and it is fun to explore. I honestly loved the game up till the very end. My girlfriend was showing me this game as she had played with before, and at one point, about halfway through the game, I said to her "If Edith dies at the end I'm going to be so mad at this game." Low and behold the ending she apparently died in child birth. It felt like an attempt at a sad ending but it just felt pointless. Other issues include never getting to learn Grandma Edie's story near the end and never actually learning WHY the Finch family is cursed, which was a huge interest for me. What Remains of Edith Finch, a bittersweet game whose ending felt far too bitter to be sweet. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 19, 2019
    Better late than never, What Remains of Edith Finch is quite simply a storytelling masterpiece that’s both tragic and life-affirming. Even if your time with the Finch family is short and bitterly sweet, it’s an unforgettable experience.
  2. Aug 1, 2019
    If you are looking for an engaging narrative that you can complete in a single sitting, then What Remains of Edith Finch is the perfect summer title for you. In many ways, it reminded me of a good book or film. It opens with a promising tale and then builds on the premise with each chapter; or, in the game’s case, each bedroom and family member. The short length may deter some, but the experience is fleshed out and fully realized. Like a good book or movie, it is something you’ll return to. Sure, some of the mystery may be lost in subsequent replays, but the story is so engrossing that you may discover elements you missed our first-time through. It’s an exceptional experience and one that will change the way you think about video game storytelling.
    I can’t recommend What Remains of Edith Finch enough if anyone has yet to play it. With so many incredible games that are currently coming to Switch, it’s important to support the special titles coming from publisher Annapurna Interactive. Its explorations of loss and tragedy left me emotional on numerous occasions, yet it also holds an uplifting and edifying emotional core. This experience remains undiminished thanks to a comprehensive port that doesn’t make any drastic sacrifices to the performance and visuals. As far as I’m concerned, it’s required reading for those passionate about storytelling in video games.