5.9

1. Jan 19, 2019
    An Earthbound knockoff with controls and game mechanics that make for a frustrating experience. On top of a luckluster story, I recommend skipping on this one.
  2. Jan 17, 2019
    Full disclosure: When I asked to interview the developers prior to this game's release, they provided me with a code to allow me to speak on the game in a more informed manner during the interview.

YIIK is a truly unique game. It's difficult to know where to start describing it, so I guess the main perception I want to correct is the idea that it's an Earthbound clone. It wears its inspiration from SNES-era RPGs like Lufia 2 on its sleeve, but with QoL updates like a fast-forward button in combat
    & mini-games for each action, which make the turn-based combat more engaging than Earthbound's. For example, the kendo-practicing Japanophile has an ability that requires inputting a series of predetermined inputs you can memorize like katas to greatly extend his damage.

The music is one of the best parts of the game, as it should be in any JRPG. I don't feel like I need to go into great detail about that, as it's been covered to death between the main composer's work & the cameo tracks. I'm a big fan of Sammy Pak's Theme & The Mind Dungeon Theme in particular.

The story & characters, however, are the main thrust of the game's appeal. The writing of the game is strongly inspired by Haruki Murakami, a Japanese novelist who specializes in the type of post-modernism the title of this game refers to: genre-blending, the mixture of old & new, & the use of the surreal to evoke a primal emotional reaction -- the cause of which is not necessarily understood by the audience at the time they experience it. With that said, I think I can move on to describing the story a bit more normally.

The story follows Alex as he tries to find his place in the world. He is characteristic of an idealistic, yet untested young man fresh out of college, & if you miss the joke, he can be a little tough to deal with. He's given to great introspection, even in the company of others, to the point the rest of the cast calls him on it. I can see this being a point of contention, as Alex is really not a likable guy, & if the fact that's intentional doesn't land, it might be difficult to invest yourself in the story. I had no trouble, personally, & laughed along with the game when jokes came at Alex's expense. The game's characters are flawed, but relatable, which is a welcome change from the cartoonish & often one-dimensional characters featured in most JRPGs.

Beyond that, I think the story told is a dead ringer for the type of story Murakami tells, which simply don't exist elsewhere in literature, much less in video games. I see the term 'dreamlike' used to describe his writing style, which is fitting because that both perfectly encapsulates it & is wholly unhelpful to anyone who has not experienced it personally.

While the next thing you have to do in YIIK is always clear, & you are never left simply wandering, it is sometimes not clear how or even if it will help you achieve your overarching goal of finding the missing teenager Sammy Pak & discovering why she disappeared in the first place. The game intentionally evokes an almost lazy pace in solving this mystery, sending Alex on journeys of introspection when it may feel like he ought to be looking for clues. All I can say to reassure you on this is that it's very authentic to Murakami's writing style, which at one point features a man sitting at the bottom of a dry well for 3 days to find his missing wife. I think this meandering style pays off, but it is difficult to describe exactly why without spoiling the game.

The game is not without flaws. I think the combat is easy throughout once you find a team that works. I was able to one-shot many enemies with special abilities, & there is no shortage of restorative items or currency in this game. The game also has a lack of polish that is to be expected from an indie game made largely by two people. Sometimes UI elements don't transition perfectly smoothly, for example. I will say I am very impressed by the camerawork; the default tools for camera stuff in this engine are abysmal, so it's an accomplishment to have good cinematography.

Aside from that, I found the level up system to be a bit opaque in how your choices affect your build. It was clear what every stat did, but being able to choose them and having varying bonuses that it seemed like you had little influence over made it a bit confusing to do valuation for them. The process is also fairly slow. Of some consolation here is that due to the game's low difficulty, you can simply level up in bursts. In fact, the game encourages this by giving fully voice-acted cutscenes every few level ups. The level up menu also has what is for my money the best track in the game.

The tl;dr is: YIIK remains engaging throughout, tells a story you likely haven't heard before, is quite visually striking at times, and features a killer soundtrack. Everything about its delivery feels carefully considered, and it truly threads the needle on some difficult challenges in storytelling.
  3. Jan 18, 2019
    An unique RPG a billion times better than Octopath Traveller, amazing soundtrack, visuals and original and addictive gameplay, must have for any Mother fan
  4. Jan 25, 2019
    YIIK? More like YIIKES.

Dissonant art style with what it is aiming for, tries to have a concept but ends up shallow, characters are just cringy and boring, too pretentious, combat is an uninteresting rhythm game, story is random hot garbage, etc.
  5. Jan 25, 2019
    For everything that I liked about YIIK, everything that I wasn't that big of a fan of outweighed it. The story is very intriguing with the supernatural and spiritual elements which is what kept me going. Every time a battle started though, a feeling of dread washed over me. Trudging through the battles weighed down the experience of great looking graphics and good sound.
  6. Jan 23, 2019
    YIIK: A Postmodern RPG is one of the most essential experiences any gamer can have. While yes, it takes inspiration from several classic games such as Earthbound and The Legend of Zelda, it carves its own path in an original story, creative design choices, and outstanding contributions from several great musicians, such as Toby Fox, Calum Bowen, Michael Kelly, Niko Tsakalakos, and variousYIIK: A Postmodern RPG is one of the most essential experiences any gamer can have. While yes, it takes inspiration from several classic games such as Earthbound and The Legend of Zelda, it carves its own path in an original story, creative design choices, and outstanding contributions from several great musicians, such as Toby Fox, Calum Bowen, Michael Kelly, Niko Tsakalakos, and various others, along with one of the head developers, Andrew Allanson's own contributions, to make an outstanding piece of art that captures the essence of life unlike any other game. Voices from different inrernet personalities such as Kirbopher and Yuriofwind, and many others, make for a great entirely voiced dialogue. While still being very fresh to the gaming scene, there are a few bugs, but nothing that pulls from the experience the game offers. There is a puzzle at one point that felt a bit of a mess in my opinion, but probably would be a lot more easier and streamlined had my copy of the game not had some sort of flaw in the code (which had caused an item not to spawn correctly, and thus i spent an hour or so looking for the solution that wasnt there). But altogether, this game has been what ive yearned for for ages; a game that perfectly and poetically inspires you to follow your heart. I was even quickly emotionally attached to a character i had only just met, and didnt care for too much! By far one of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2019
    There is so much potential here, but the game gets in its own way. The story, exploring, music, and characters are all fascinating and its scratching that Earthbound itch. The combat system is godawful. Each move or attack is a quicktime event. Granted, there's an option for unlimited slow down time, but it really drags the whole experience down. I would give it an honest 8 if theyThere is so much potential here, but the game gets in its own way. The story, exploring, music, and characters are all fascinating and its scratching that Earthbound itch. The combat system is godawful. Each move or attack is a quicktime event. Granted, there's an option for unlimited slow down time, but it really drags the whole experience down. I would give it an honest 8 if they just patched that garbage out with a normal turn based battle system. There's so much good here, alot of spirit, and it might be one of my favorite indie games. But man, that battle system is ROUGH. Expand
  8. Feb 1, 2019
    YIIK is an interesting experience, if I was to grade it on charm, style and sound alone it would earn a solid 10/10. The game is certainly an experience, its visuals are like no other game, the music throughout was joyous and it had charm and well written characters. The performance though is where it starts to fall apart, I experienced stuttering quite a lot whilst playing in handheldYIIK is an interesting experience, if I was to grade it on charm, style and sound alone it would earn a solid 10/10. The game is certainly an experience, its visuals are like no other game, the music throughout was joyous and it had charm and well written characters. The performance though is where it starts to fall apart, I experienced stuttering quite a lot whilst playing in handheld mode (Which was most of the time, its how i prefer to play my switch) the loading times were also shocking, sometimes waiting a couple of minutes just to enter the next fight. Sometimes the writing and the story felt very pretentious, I'm not sure if that was an artistic choice though as we are seeing the story unfold through the eyes of a hipster.

In the end though I feel like I would recommend YIIK to RPG fans. Its problems in my opinion don't outweigh its charm and visual appeal as well as the amazing soundtrack that I would happily listen to all day!

1. Feb 22, 2019
    If you grew up way back in the olden days like me and can’t stomach another anime RPG then YIIK is worth a look. YIIK: A Postmodern RPG is out now on Nintendo Switch.
    I wanted to like YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG a lot more than I did. There’s some rich creativity in its style, and the music is worth a listen even outside of playing. However, a lot of the fresh ideas with the battle system and Mind Dungeon simply don’t respect the player’s time. When I’m sighing after accidentally bumping into an avoidable enemy, that’s a problem.
  3. Jan 17, 2019