7.4

1. Aug 11, 2018
    I had an idea what I was getting into playing this game. It is what I expected. It is a mixture of Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. People complain that it lacks content or combat. That is not the point of the game. It's all about exploration and farming. I enjoy this game. Overall, this is a great game with gorgeous visuals!
  2. Jul 7, 2018
    Really cute game that reminds me of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing. Really nice if you want a relaxed atmosphere with no combat. A lot of exploring and things to discover!
  3. Apr 9, 2019
    There’s something incredibly calming and serene about Yonder; it’d be fantastic to see more along the same lines from developers Prideful Sloth – DLC or a sequel that continue along the same, no-conflict, no-death lines would be very welcome indeed. There’s nothing else quite like it right now; it’s a beautifully serene and chilled out experience that lends itself to long, relaxingThere’s something incredibly calming and serene about Yonder; it’d be fantastic to see more along the same lines from developers Prideful Sloth – DLC or a sequel that continue along the same, no-conflict, no-death lines would be very welcome indeed. There’s nothing else quite like it right now; it’s a beautifully serene and chilled out experience that lends itself to long, relaxing sessions of charming exploration. Expand
  4. May 17, 2018
    I honestly have no idea how I'll ever be able to stop playing this gem of a game, especially since I just found out about it a week before it's release date in the Nintendo eShop for the Switch. Naturally, I watched a few beginning gameplays an was instantly sold. Beautiful graphics, soothing audio, and no rush or combat. If you like for your games to relax you, this is the perfect game!
  5. May 23, 2019
    I honestly wasn't expecting much on this game and didn't even bother picking it up until someone said how good it is, and they were right. The art style is quite charming and relaxing and very well done. It definetly feels like a game Nintendo would develop focusing on more simple but attractive art style. The gameplay is quite good and everything is set out easily enough. There is a fewI honestly wasn't expecting much on this game and didn't even bother picking it up until someone said how good it is, and they were right. The art style is quite charming and relaxing and very well done. It definetly feels like a game Nintendo would develop focusing on more simple but attractive art style. The gameplay is quite good and everything is set out easily enough. There is a few things I would have liked to have seen in terms of making the world feel more alive but nothing that was too upsetting however.

This game makes a perfect chill out game. A game you can go to, to just relax and explore a lovely island. I am going to be watching Prideful Sloth (the developers) closely for their next game after finding this gem. In fact I liked it so much on the ps4 I bought it again on the switch
  6. Dec 16, 2018
    This game has been surprised to me. I think it has been one of the best game I have played in the genre of adventure and some RPG which requires noone to hurt or kill.in the game. I have played the game only in the portable mode. Graphics are beautiful with good art with day and night and seasonal progression. Sometimes it does have frame drops but it never affects the gameplay. In aThis game has been surprised to me. I think it has been one of the best game I have played in the genre of adventure and some RPG which requires noone to hurt or kill.in the game. I have played the game only in the portable mode. Graphics are beautiful with good art with day and night and seasonal progression. Sometimes it does have frame drops but it never affects the gameplay. In a simple explanation, it's a game which you could play when you are stressed or tired or need something which is light weight, this is the best option. Generally, you got tasks that you need to do on your adventure with direct or indirect way of getting things done. It is a bit snow pace game but also relaxing in some way. I highly recommend to try this game if you're looking for something light weight and slow to play. Expand
  7. Aug 26, 2019
    This game pleasantly surprised me, with the nice visuals and relaxing setting I have found myself sinking hours into a game. Visuals better on the TV but don't find them bad hand held either. No combat is a nice change of pace and overall I have enjoyed this game very much.
  8. Apr 16, 2020
    Beautiful game, i bet if this game was like made by any popular brand, the rate would be like 90 or higher anyways i would totally recommend this game to anyone that need something relaxing and fun to do this quarentine
  9. May 7, 2020
    I really enjoyed exploring my way through Yonder!
    I really enjoyed exploring my way through Yonder!
    Firstly, I want to address the graphics, which are really quite pretty, if you're having issues with blurriness in handheld turn the bloom down in the settings. I personally don't get most complaints about graphics on the Switch, I started playing video games on the go with a game boy color and man we've come a long way with handheld devices.

Anyways, gameplay-wise I had a delightful time exploring Gemea. I found the lack of combat and the lack of fall damage really cemented Yonder's gameplay loop was completely about exploring, gathering, and crafting. It's extremely peaceful and I really enjoyed the nature-focused audio. The creatures that inhabit this world are also very cute which adds to the game's charm. I also really enjoyed the variety of costumes and hair dyes found throughout! The story is short and has really no time limits, I found it super relaxing that I could go at any pace I wanted and eventually finished the main story on my first playthrough in year three. I tend to lean in the direction of a completionist and I found things like the tree planting and cat gathering to scratch that itch.

My biggest complaints were in regard to farming and crafting. I wanted more of both. Crafting is easy to master and I really just wanted to make more stuff. Farming is also easy to master and before you know it you are overloaded with materials and have nothing to do with most of them. There are some fetch type quests available but there is no economy to the game. Since there is no money system, which normally would not bother me, once you have like twenty stacks of berries even trading becomes a bit dull.

Overall though I would absolutely recommend this to folks who are looking for a charming, no pressure, relaxing experience. I'm betting if you enjoy titles like Animal Crossing New Horizons or Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons this would be a game you could really enjoy! I can especially see this being fun for young humans as it's very forgiving.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Sep 5, 2018
    It falters when it focuses more on completion and less on just seeing the countryside. It's fun for stretches, but maybe not for completionists. [Issue #35 – September/October 2018, p. 72]
  2. Jul 30, 2018
    Where Zelda is all about combat and the story, Yonder is a much more relaxing experience. It wants you to simply settle into the rhythms of living on the island of Gemea — and it’s a testament to how good it is that, given half a chance, it’ll have no problem sucking you in.
  3. Jul 5, 2018
    From the very beginning, Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles impresses with its amazing visuals and soundtrack. It takes form as a relaxing open-world adventure, that features many elements of crafting and farming. While the later doesn’t perfectly fits with its openness nature, it is still an enjoyable experience nevertheless.