7.8

1. Jan 30, 2021
  2. Dec 1, 2020
    Same thing as London 2012, but with less content and now the Dream Events have been taken out and replaced with Duel Events. This is my least favorite
  3. Mar 24, 2020
    This Game will be fun for a bit, but will soon bring boredom. I bought this game and had fun with it for a bit but got bored after I played all the sports. Another major disappointment is the lack or should I say ZERO dream events. The double events aren't really that good they're just basically double points. The major sell point rugby is somewhat fun, but no reason to actually buy theThis Game will be fun for a bit, but will soon bring boredom. I bought this game and had fun with it for a bit but got bored after I played all the sports. Another major disappointment is the lack or should I say ZERO dream events. The double events aren't really that good they're just basically double points. The major sell point rugby is somewhat fun, but no reason to actually buy the game. Just buy the original or London 2012 to play on your Wii U. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games is a step up from the disappointing Sochi 2014 but is still not up to the quality of those experiences found on the Wii.

However, the motion controlled games on the Wii have been turned more into timed button-pressing games which adds more skill into the events. The multiplayer is also very good with Football, Rugby and Volleyball being the biggest events here. These are very fun but leads into the biggest flaw with this game.

There are NO dream events. These were the best part about the franchise but are completely absent here. Its such a shame as it would have been really nice to see HD versions of older games from the Mario and Sonic franchises. Instead we have Duel events which do offer some added variety but I did not enjoy Volleyball in this mode. Football and Rugby were both excellent for multiplayer and were the highlights here.

Overall, this is a good game. But London 2012 has far more variety and is the better option for the summer Olympics.
  5. Nov 17, 2019
    Now this is very likely a controversial opinion, but I believe that Rio 2016 for the Wii U is the best of all four of the quadrennial installments in the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series... reason being its replayability. It follows London 2012 in terms of a lack of Gallery focus, but it more than makes up for that with the overhauls to the navigation of the main menu, and theNow this is very likely a controversial opinion, but I believe that Rio 2016 for the Wii U is the best of all four of the quadrennial installments in the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series... reason being its replayability. It follows London 2012 in terms of a lack of Gallery focus, but it more than makes up for that with the overhauls to the navigation of the main menu, and the graphical improvements. A common complaint is that Rio 2016 has so few events, that even the winter releases and portable releases have more than it. But it's impossible to argue that these events weren't lubed to the extreme. What little visible content there is in Rio 2016 is made up for by how it controls, which is what truly matters in a video game. You need to feel immersed when playing a video game, and this game does this better than any of the other choices I have, so obviously, I consider it just barely better than Beijing 2008. It makes me long for the days where I still cared about the Wii U, and that's admirable, considering the system is obsolete now. Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2019
    A fun game for anyone who is a fan of Mario and/or Sonic and minigames!!!!!
  7. Jun 2, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of the events are fun, and I imagine this would be a great game to bring out at a party. There's also a fair amount of single player content and the controls are definitely more responsive than Sochi 2014.

Not being able to play as every character in every event is a disappointment, as is the lack of "Dream Events" taking place in the worlds of Mario and Sonic, but otherwise a mostly accomplished party/sports game.
  8. May 20, 2018
    El mejor mario y sonic hasta la fecha tiene un extenso número de deportes y personajes desbloqueables con su nuevo modo online de los juegos olimpicos
  9. Jun 16, 2017
    Okay... This was the first time I was excited for a Mario sports game because Rosalina finally got her chance to be playable in a real sports game! But also the huge amount of Mii outfits that aren't based on some characters made me hyped for this game. I love my Mii characters and I would love to see my Mii Jessica in a cycling outfit on a cycling event. Or my Mii Lelia making a platformOkay... This was the first time I was excited for a Mario sports game because Rosalina finally got her chance to be playable in a real sports game! But also the huge amount of Mii outfits that aren't based on some characters made me hyped for this game. I love my Mii characters and I would love to see my Mii Jessica in a cycling outfit on a cycling event. Or my Mii Lelia making a platform diving wearing competition swimsuit or in a diving suit performing a 10km marathon swim!

But then... More infos about the Wii U version have arrived and dang it! First, this game has the least amount of events of all the home console summer olympic games. Also, the beloved dream events are gone. There's only one swimming event! C'mon! And if this isn't insulting enough, the long awaited new characters are only 'guests', restricted to only one event each, while the 'veteran' characters can still be played on all events. There's also no longer any support for motion controls or even the Wii Balance Board. 'Great' sports game. Sigh...

This game is such a failure and it hurts me so much because it was the first time I was hyped for a Mario sports game. I even bought Wii Fit U hand had sporty fun with my Mii's. But this 'sports game' is such a bad joke compared to it's predecessors. And I didn't mentioned the bugs and even the rare crashes that can occur on the 'beach menu'. I don't understand the good rating this game recieves. Yes, it can be fun but you also can have much more fun with London 2012 (which has worse rating). Thanks, SEGA, for making me wait for another 4 years for a olympics game with Rosalina and Mii's.
  10. Dec 6, 2016
    I've had the opportunity to play every licensed Olympics video game since the original track and field in the arcade. This one is in the lower middle of the pack, but this game loses points for me because it represents the end of 30 years of authentic Olympics-themed video games. 2016 was the first games since 1984 that did not get a realistic licensed game. Instead, we got this cartoonI've had the opportunity to play every licensed Olympics video game since the original track and field in the arcade. This one is in the lower middle of the pack, but this game loses points for me because it represents the end of 30 years of authentic Olympics-themed video games. 2016 was the first games since 1984 that did not get a realistic licensed game. Instead, we got this cartoon and only on Nintendo systems. Expand
  11. Sep 18, 2016
    awesome game! Best in the series thus far.Great game for fans or Mario and Sonic, or just people that enjoy light hearted games at the end of the day. Highlight for 2016
  12. Sep 5, 2016
    It's okay, but I thought it would be better than London 2012, but it's not. I was disappointed by the lack of events and I don't really see any dream events. As far as customizing your Mii, the options are limited, and every time I go to the stand, all I get is stamps. This has not been a improvement from London.
  13. Jul 21, 2016
    This one is better than the 3ds version but this game does have some flaws. It is still a good game but I can see a lot of flaws. The gameplay and controls are great and so are the graphics too.
  14. Jun 28, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really fun game great sports although no single player only. Loads of characters to enjoy while playing the games the single player. Mode is fun also so if looking to play a game with friends this is one. Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2016
    It's pretty good but still falling short a little. I really enjoy the inclusion of more characters and the idea of expanding the number sports to play in, but they need to be much more interesting.
  16. Jun 25, 2016
    Fun game!

The events feel they have a lot more depth and polish on them compared to previous Mario and Sonic Games which will make you want to coming back for more. The upside everything you play will offer some great fun, the game looks fantastic and runs beautifully at a stable 60 fps. The downside is no competitive online feature just leader boards and while there is plenty to
    Fun game!

The upside everything you play will offer some great fun, the game looks fantastic and runs beautifully at a stable 60 fps. The downside is no competitive online feature just leader boards and while there is plenty to unlock, there isn't a main campaign or story mode.

The hub world is beautiful and filled with life and new characters join in on the fun however its only on certain events you can play as them.

Soccer and rugby have to be my favorites, along with volleyball. Grab a few friends and you'll have a grand time. Alone you'll have a blast with the events and unlocking new content/items but if you're looking for a main story mode then you're better off getting the 3ds version.
  17. Jun 25, 2016
    The worst delivery to the saga, does not use any of the qualities of control, reduction of events. Lack of events dreamy little amount of characters regarding the version of 3Ds, and some are exclusive for some events. Voices recycled from previous games, the graphics is good but not highlighted.
  18. Jun 24, 2016
    The Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series has been a pretty decent series over all. Nothing to truly write home about, but they're satisfying in many ways. The latest entry in the series is no different. Offering a variety of events to play and a good cast of Mario & Sonic characters to play as. As with the 3DS version, I'm really glad they added new characters to the mix, but limitingThe Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series has been a pretty decent series over all. Nothing to truly write home about, but they're satisfying in many ways. The latest entry in the series is no different. Offering a variety of events to play and a good cast of Mario & Sonic characters to play as. As with the 3DS version, I'm really glad they added new characters to the mix, but limiting them to one event each was a huge bummer to me. I also personally liked the Dream Events MUCH more than the Duel Events and the fact that the game only has 3 Duel Events anyway was a bit of a disappointment as well. However the game is still what I expect from the series; it's a decent game that offers lots to unlock and collect, some great remixed songs and some pretty nice visuals to boot. Overall, this game is pretty good. It's nothing more and nothing less. Expand
  19. Jun 24, 2016
    This game is really fun to play with family and friends. It has a variety of sports to play and there is a large amount of different Mario and Sonic characters to play as.
  20. Jun 24, 2016
    Best in the series thus far.
    Great single and local multiplayer game play, contrary to bad reporting: the game has single player modes.
    The selection of sports is great this time around including boxing, football, track running, cycling (with some tricks involved), soccer, beach style volleyball, swimming, while the previous entry was focused on the Winter Olympics. The single
    Best in the series thus far.

The single player tournaments are enjoyable to play through, with characters from the game challenging you, as you unlock additional events. Things are introduced neatly. You are rewarded with coins for completion of activities as you go, to unlock additional novelty character themed costumes. Dream events are alot of fun.

Game has the over the top style / flair of its predecessors, crossed with traditional sport.

The Nintendo Olympics and most of the Nintendo brand sports games are under valued,

this one in particular deserves a bit more praise.

If you like sports games, this does a great job at keeping it fun, in an era were fun is taboo. Its great for those that aren't big on sports or the olympics too.

Great game for fans or Mario and Sonic, or just people that enjoy light hearted games at the end of the day. Highlight for 2016.
  21. Jun 24, 2016
    And here we are, folks. Another one of these underwhelming games no one seems to care about. While the 3DS was lacking enough fun, this one slightly added a little fun in it, but nevertheless, it's still an installment that overstays its welcome.
  22. Jun 25, 2016

Mixed or average reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 28, 2016
    Mario & Sonic are at it again, and once again the game series breaks its personal best. Although the lack of content is still an issue, this time all the events are planned carefully and the online multiplayer gives something for the lone sportsmen, who don't want to enjoy the newest Nintendolympics in the living room. I'd give this title a bronze medal for effort. [Aug 2016]
  2. Aug 14, 2016
    It appears to be aiming for family gaming, but just a little more depth would give it more longevity. What’s here is good, but not worth running to the shops to buy.
  3. Aug 9, 2016
    In short, a game, with lot of fun when you play it with friends, but it's missing sufficient Olympic events to make it a very good game.