7.4

1. Apr 22, 2016
    It's beyond me why such a big deal has been made out of the controls as I mastered them within about 10 minutes of play time. I wish that there were actual standards and integrity that "professional" reviewers were held by because some of the complaints over controls are absurd. Honestly, if you are having so much trouble with the controls, then perhaps you need to question your skills asIt's beyond me why such a big deal has been made out of the controls as I mastered them within about 10 minutes of play time. I wish that there were actual standards and integrity that "professional" reviewers were held by because some of the complaints over controls are absurd. Honestly, if you are having so much trouble with the controls, then perhaps you need to question your skills as a gamer, or simply just recognize that this may not be the game for you.

That aside, I had a blast playing this game. It's fast-paced, it's exciting and it's engaging. Which is really all that I ask for in a video game. The inclusion of Star Fox Guard is a nice bonus and that in itself is a fun experience.

I guess all I can say in summary is that if you're a fan of Star Fox and its style of an on-rails space shooter, then you're going to really enjoy this game. Even the co-op mode is entertaining as it really feels like there are two of you in the ship and I felt that the motion controls were well-implemented.
  2. Apr 22, 2016
    Solid mechanics and great gameplay. This is the quintessential remake of Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 (no matter if Nintendo doesn't claim it is), offering great replayability with different paths and hidden stages, which offsets its relatively short runtime (around 5-6 hours).
    Some smaller grievances I had was the alternative vehicles, like the slow-paced gyrowing, and maybe a little too much focus on the walker. Even so, most of it is the same, but flashier, great arwing action as back in 1997. A lot of stages in the game are pretty much the same scenarios as the N64 game, but with minor changes; there's a lot of nostalgia playing here in terms of bosses, enemy patterns, and the voicework.
    The new aiming controls can be a little overwhelming at first, but will quickly be mastered, and definitely adds to the overall experience. What's often important is to check the cockpit screen, which I admittedly ignored too much on the first run; this is frequently necessary for precise aiming when using the lock-on view, but you can also easily switch the cockpit view to the TV. While I wouldn't say the motion controls are essential for this type of game, it's clear that this one is designed around it, and you are consistently rewarded for effectively using it.
    Voice performances are much like the N64 game, and for the most part being above par for an English performance in a Japanese game. I would've wished there was a BGM option, as the sound effects can be a bit dominating over the music. Though this is mitigated by lowering the GamePad volume. There is unfortunately no way of getting the voices to come from the TV (that I know), but this wasn't a real issue for me.
    Overall, an enjoyable and accessible arcade-style game that can be played just as well in one sitting and in short bursts.
  3. Apr 23, 2016
    Star Fox Zero proves that classic game design is not fit for a modern game industry, not from any fault of its own, but instead because the gamers of today are entitled, lazy, and casual. If a game is difficult, these people will blame the game for their own failures, and if a game doesnt reach some arbitrary number of hours in length, its somehow worthless. In 1997, Star Fox 64, a rebootStar Fox Zero proves that classic game design is not fit for a modern game industry, not from any fault of its own, but instead because the gamers of today are entitled, lazy, and casual. If a game is difficult, these people will blame the game for their own failures, and if a game doesnt reach some arbitrary number of hours in length, its somehow worthless. In 1997, Star Fox 64, a reboot of Starfox hit shelves at a price of $59.99 and had a completion time of 2 hours, in 2016, Star Fox Zero, a reboot of Starfox hit shelves at a price of $59.99 and had a completion time of 2 hours, yet somehow Starfox 64 was well received and is beloved today, while Starfox zero is maligned.

I have several issues with this game, but the length of a single playthrough is not one of them, the price is not one of them, and the controls are not one of them. I would have liked to see a multiplayer mode, a better rewards system, and the classic style of map progression. These issues would have me give the game an 8, but thanks to the childish behavior of other reviews from short sighted millennials that have never played a Starfox game before, I feel it is okay to bump the score up in response to their petty, lazy scorings of 0/10, purely because I dont want to see celebrations of golden age design like Star Fox Zero fail.
  4. Apr 22, 2016
    If there's one thing I want to say to every single reviewer who hated the game for the controls is: "GIT GUD!" Honestly I took my time with the training sequence of this game to familiarise myself with the aiming controls and within the very first mission I had gotten a good grasp of them, by mission 2 I felt like I'd mastered them, and boy does the practice pay off.

I think where the

I think where the controls work the best is in all range mode when you're fighting against Star Wolf. The added adreneline from trying to line up your shots while flying, and avoiding fire is absolutely exhilarating and worth every single dollar I dropped on the game.

My main complaint with this game is the Zoness level, The Gyrowing really slows down the pace and sometimes it can be tricky to figure out where to go, but aside from that one stage, its high replay value and the insane challenge this game brings. IT'S AWESOME!
  5. Apr 22, 2016
    After all this talk about the controls, I was expecting something totally different - it feels smooth and intuitive - another extremely fun and unique experience from Nintendo! Keep the great ideas coming! Mission Accomplished! 10/10
  6. Apr 22, 2016
    Got used to the controls after 2 days, now they feel like a great thing, with minor exceptions.
    If you like Star Fox games or rail shooters, give it a go and give the controls a couple of hours, you'll enjoy a great game afterwards and finally mastering them feels very rewarding.
  7. Apr 22, 2016
    To begin to take into account the notes that the game has received from the specialized critic... you guys really think star fox deserves only 71? look at the games we have today, look at the amount of games that received more lobe from you... Yes, none of them uses the gamepad.

The problem is not in the gameplay guys, the problem is the lack of practice of you, I think it's very obvious that someone who spends all day playing in a DS4 would not be able to give an opinion on a style of play without comparative today and a console that little is said.

Even Star Fox Guard which is a mini-game was loved more just because does not use controls of movement, what you wish? stagnate the industry? Never evolve into motion controls, evolve only graphs
    Are more impartial the next time. Here you buried a great game on behalf of a nut community of gamers.

A great getting a tremendous boycott.
  8. Apr 22, 2016
    With all the reviewer comments on the controls, you'll actually get use to it in a matter of minutes, Star Fox Zero is really a game for Lylat Wars fans to enjoy and should be given a good chance. Highly recommend to try out Guard next.

oh, and to people who hasn't beat SFZ and heard about the Roadmaster...you're missing out.
  9. Apr 23, 2016
    An amazing amalgamation of the best of Star Fox on SNES and N64. The controls take about 30 mins to get accustomed to. It is bizarre to be that reviewers have slammed this game to a score BELOW STAR FOX ADVENTURES for such a trivial issue.
  10. Apr 22, 2016
    I know what people's concern with this game is, the controls. I get it and I understand it. The difference here is that if people give it a chance the game is really fun and one of the best entries in the series. I recommend people to give it a shot to sit down and learn the controls, they actually open up a lot more when you try them out.
  11. Apr 22, 2016
    Star Fox Zero continues to do as previous installments of the Star Fox franchise and continue to experiment with the On-Rails genre. It's most notable features are the Gyro aiming and transforming vehicles. The Gyro aiming takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it you'll find that you're shooting will be more accurate when compared to previous Star Fox games. A fewStar Fox Zero continues to do as previous installments of the Star Fox franchise and continue to experiment with the On-Rails genre. It's most notable features are the Gyro aiming and transforming vehicles. The Gyro aiming takes some time to get used to but once you get the hang of it you'll find that you're shooting will be more accurate when compared to previous Star Fox games. A few things I have to knock it for is that it isn't really treading new ground with the franchise as the narrative and core aspects just feel like 64 Again, and while that isn't truly a bad thing, it feels like a wasted opportunity to push the series further. Another thing that felt wrong was how certain alternate routes were locked until you have cleared the game normally at least once. Other than those issues, Star Fox Zero holds up as a solid entry to the Star Fox franchise. Lets hope we can see more of this series in the future. Expand
  12. Apr 22, 2016
    So I played it and I kept waiting for the controls to frustrate me....and that time never came. I mean they are certainly demanding but when I fumbled I knew it was because I hadn't grasped it yet. By stage 3 I was a natural and performing maneuvers that were impossible in other star fox games. It was gripping and intense. I played through the whole campaign in one sitting around 4 or soSo I played it and I kept waiting for the controls to frustrate me....and that time never came. I mean they are certainly demanding but when I fumbled I knew it was because I hadn't grasped it yet. By stage 3 I was a natural and performing maneuvers that were impossible in other star fox games. It was gripping and intense. I played through the whole campaign in one sitting around 4 or so hours. I LOVED IT! I didn't get why I was the outlier? Was I the one? Am I Neo? How did I not struggle with these controls? I guess I have an ability to multitask, experience with other unconventionally controlling games (kid Icarus uprising, wonderful 101), I'm patient and adaptable. There are many like me. There is also those who are not and I challenge them to give something like this an honest try and don't write it off because you don't get it from the start. Push yourself a bit more to try something that demands more of you. Don't ignore this game it's something truly special and it's sad that some are disregarding it. Now back to getting my gold medals......Let's Rock and Roll! Expand
  13. Apr 23, 2016
    I'm really sorry, but I have to be honest about this game. It's not good. Simply put, the motion controls do not work. They're a nuisance at best, and unbelievably frustrating at worst. If the game took motion controls out altogether, I would be much more complimentary of it. There really are moments that have that awesome jaw-dropping Star Fox appeal, and the new vehicles are kinda neatI'm really sorry, but I have to be honest about this game. It's not good. Simply put, the motion controls do not work. They're a nuisance at best, and unbelievably frustrating at worst. If the game took motion controls out altogether, I would be much more complimentary of it. There really are moments that have that awesome jaw-dropping Star Fox appeal, and the new vehicles are kinda neat ideas. The stealth sections are a little tedious, but it's a nice change up to the action. Graphically, well it could be better. Textures are really simple, very little detail in the environment, no AA, the effects are good though. The frame-rate also dips occasionally, nothing too game breaking but enough to notice.

All in all, I really wanted to love the game and in a way I still sorta like it. However the game is weighed down by it's gimmick unfortunately.
  14. Apr 22, 2016
    The game is awesome. Don't care about what people are talking about it. If you like star fox 64, you will like this too. If you are a wii u owner, you need to try this game.
  15. Apr 24, 2016
    This game should of came out during the launch of Wii U with a price tag of 30$.

It amazes me how long it takes Nintendo to produce such medicocre titles. If youbare looking for an HD version of Nes 64 Star Fox, with the same options/features they had then, look know further, but bring 80$. There are better games on your phone. There should be much more online features, options,

There are better games on your phone. There should be much more online features, options, levels, upgrades/stats etc. Nintendo has failed yet again to bringvtheir classic games to the next generation. Imagine Star Fox in a massive open world, pvp, pve, fantastic graphics.....Nintendo had more than enough time and oppurtunity to produce an epic Star Fox title, they blew it.
  16. May 13, 2017
    Star Fox Zero is a mediocre and uninspired game. It was supposed to be a grand return of the Star Fox franchise after 11 years away from home consoles. It was also supposed to show off the Wii U Gamepad’s potential like no other game before. But it didn’t achieve either of those goals.
    First, let’s address the game’s most criticized aspect: the controls. While I’m not going as far as to say ridiculous things like ‘the game is unplayable’ or ‘the controls are totally broken’, like many people said when the game came out, it can’t be denied that Zero’s control scheme just doesn’t work well. It sure is innovative, and on paper, it sounds like a pretty clever idea. But in practice, it simply fails. If you look only at the TV screen, you can’t aim precisely, because for some strange unexplainable reason, the TV reticle points on something different that the one in the gamepad. And if you try to play only on the Gamepad, you’ll be able to aim properly, but you lose all perception of space, and maneuvering the ship becomes very clunky.

So whether you look at the TV or the Gamepad, you are always on a disadvantage. The only solution to this is trying to divide your attention and try to switch between looking at each screen, but that’s just uncomfortable and unintuitive. I can see this type of control scheme where you have to pay attention to both screens work, but in a different type of game. Star Fox is fast paced, it requires quick reflexes, and even more so if you’re aiming for high scores. However, this isn’t a ‘game breaker’ for me, as I still managed to win the game without major complications, but in the end the controls are almost entirely detrimental to the experience. The only times where I felt empowered by this control scheme were the boss fights, because those have a slower pace, and aiming and maneuvering the ship gets a bit easier. There were also other occasions where the controls worked relatively well for me, and I found myself enjoying them, but in perspective, those occasions are like less than 10% of the game.

And even if the game had standard controls, it would still be a disappointment. This has to be one of the laziest and less ambitious games Nintendo has done in the past years. It is basically a remake of Star Fox 64, except that it takes everything that was great about that game and replaces it with mediocre stuff. The dialogues are completely forgettable. They’re very far from resembling the extremely memorable quotes and voices from Star Fox 64. The characters feel like shallow versions of their former selves. And also, many situations are simply rehashed from SF64. Why couldn’t they do something new and ambitious with this game? Like, a new story, new characters, new planets and locations, a new villain… I guess the only addition of this game to the Star Fox formula (aside from the controls) are the new vehicles. And they’re not very good either. The Walker is a total pain to control, and the Gyrowing is ok to me, but a lot of people disliked it for being too slow.

Another big problem with Zero is the lack of content. The main missions can take around 5 to 8 hours at max. Sure, Star Fox 64 was also short. But that game is excellent at everything else. And it’s almost 20 years old. There’s no excuse for Zero being so lacking in content in this day and age. And why is there no local or online multiplayer in this game?

The game was also criticized for its rough looking graphics. Personally I can totally look past this issue. At least it runs at stable 60fps, and some of the stages look pretty good to me, like Sector Alpha or Titania. The music is decent, but none of the new melodies are as memorable as the classic Star Fox tunes.

I know I’ve been pretty harsh in this review with Zero, but the game isn’t a piece of trash either. It’s a decent game in fact. The missions are well designed and pretty fun (especially the bosses), which is probably the most important thing in a Star Fox title. But the enjoyment they provide is severely hindered by a clunky and inefficient control scheme. On top of that, it doesn’t push the Star Fox franchise forward at all, and it’s lacking of content. That is why in the end, I can’t recommend Star Fox Zero to anyone but hardcore Star Fox fans, who might find some true enjoyment here.

Score: 7.0
  17. Mar 9, 2017
    The new game from star fox franchise, is an incredible game with the poor control I've ever seen in my life.

The NO option for change the control of the game or a NO upgrade with the solution are an EPIC FAIL
  18. Aug 20, 2016
    Star Fox 64 this is not. I did not like the chicken walker or gyro copter in the slightest, and the game would be tons more entertaining without them. I sympathize with wanting to try new things, but the thing is that the new ideas need to be comparable to the old ones at least in entertainment value. The chicken walker is useless compared to just letting me have a cool tank with boostersStar Fox 64 this is not. I did not like the chicken walker or gyro copter in the slightest, and the game would be tons more entertaining without them. I sympathize with wanting to try new things, but the thing is that the new ideas need to be comparable to the old ones at least in entertainment value. The chicken walker is useless compared to just letting me have a cool tank with boosters on it. Overall a mediocre experience I wouldn't recommend. Expand
  19. Nov 21, 2018
    This game is alot of fun to play i really love the controls theyre alot better and feel fresh and i found my self using the barrel roll alot more than the starfox 64 or starfox assault games. I also really loved the mission where you get to play as peppey and i was psyched to see that i get to play as him and they have alot of elements from the older starfox games like the walker modeThis game is alot of fun to play i really love the controls theyre alot better and feel fresh and i found my self using the barrel roll alot more than the starfox 64 or starfox assault games. I also really loved the mission where you get to play as peppey and i was psyched to see that i get to play as him and they have alot of elements from the older starfox games like the walker mode that from what i could see was originally in starfox 2 which never came out originally until super nintendo classic but they have that feature in the game and its amazing to use. And the story is also really good in my opinion so i give the game a 10 out of 10. Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2017
    This is one of those rare games that somehow manages to get nothing right. None of the clear love the developers had for the game that was present in past installments is here at all. Instead, this feels like Nintendo flipping the middle finger to their fans and saying “You want your new Star Fox game? Well, here it is! Suck it, nerds!”
  21. Dec 8, 2017
    un juego maravilloso, con un control que tal vez, puedas tardar un poco en acostumbrarte a él, pero luego de unos minutos será fácil dominarlo, estupenda banda sonora, historia...los juegos de nintendo siempre mandan la historia a las berenjenas, los gráficos son bastante buenos, sin mencionar que en la TV y en el gamepad se ven imágenes distintas y ambas pantallas a 60fps,.
    un juego
    un juego retante y muy rejugable, pues tiene 5 medallas por nivel, las cuales no suelen ser muy fáciles de conseguir, tendrás que jugar varias veces un mismo nivel de varias formas para conseguir las 5 medallas.
    excelente
  22. Nov 18, 2018
    This is my personal favorite of the Star Fox series. It’s almost been 3 years since it has released on Wii U. I’m writing this review, because it’s critical to objectively gauge what is good about Star Fox Zero. A lot of gamers are emotional beasts and they tend to hallucinate problems that don’t exist. What they think about most irrationally becomes most important. As a long time Star FoxThis is my personal favorite of the Star Fox series. It’s almost been 3 years since it has released on Wii U. I’m writing this review, because it’s critical to objectively gauge what is good about Star Fox Zero. A lot of gamers are emotional beasts and they tend to hallucinate problems that don’t exist. What they think about most irrationally becomes most important. As a long time Star Fox player, I have to lay out what makes Star Fox, Star Fox. This game plays like Star Fox. And that’s hard for people to grasp. The problem I do have with Star Fox Zero is that the gameplay is ambiguous, as it was before on 64. It’s design is spot on, but it leaves many things open to interpretation. That is a design flaw, but it’s my only and biggest gripe. I can’t tell you how old it gets being surrounded by people who know nothing about Star Fox gameplay. Nintendo, this is an easy fix. Look at modern action games like Bayonetta. No ambiguity. It teaches the player how to play. Aside from that... the great stuff: The controls work perfectly but there’s one stipulation. You have to use them as intended to work perfectly, not how you feel like they should be used. Use the game pad strictly for gameplay. And use the TV for strategy. Focus on one screen at a time, not both. People who try to look at both at the same time are morons. The combo system is amazing in Star Fox Zero. It does a great job rewarding the player for ingenuity. And there many well hidden secrets. Secrets hidden in the levels, bosses and secret techniques you can master for alternate routes. This is a strength, but it can be amazingly ambiguous. Example: there’s a third way to destroy the first boss: lead the missiles back into the boss. Very cool, but a kid would never figure that out. Star Fox Zero is riddled with lots of secret objectives. More than any reviewer discovered. The medals do a good job teaching the player the mechanics, however, people look at medals as if they were gold stars in a Mario game. They’re actually Learning tools. And they do teach well. Again ambiguous. The variety in SFZ is quite amazing, the mechanics are too deep to type out, but watch skilled players and you’ll see how much you can strategize compared to previous installments. It’s a lot of control to hone technique and gives ingenuity to your play style. Star Fox’s genre is the action genre. It’s about honing technique and becoming better over time. This idea is lost on many because most of gaming is instant gratification. This is a game in its truest sense that asks you to learn. In the short attention span age we live in, that made this an automatic risk. I think Nintendo did an amazing job with expanding the mechanics from the 64 days and really making Star Fox fresh. I won’t list every little technique and detail, but Nintendo... if you’re listening.... please, quit making Star Fox games amibigious. Teach people how to play so they can appreciate your design choices, when people are unsure of how something works they fill in the blanks with their imagination. People who love Zelda will try to fill in the blanks in the context of Zelda if they can’t figure out the game they’re playing. People who love call of duty will do the same. I can use infinite examples. Again, make future games unambiguous. Hold on to what you have here and grow it. As a pro star fox player, this is objectively good and I think you know it too. One more time: make future star Fox games unambiguous. Communicate your gameplay effectively and conquer. Expand
  23. Nov 23, 2018
    De esos juegos difíciles de tomar el control, pero cuando lo haces, te lo comes 3 o 4 veces para sacarles todo el contenido, el uso del gamepad a mi parecer es un sueño hecho realidad, adoro starfox pero ¿será acaso que nintendo no lo quiere? quiero mas juegos de Starfox.
  24. Apr 28, 2016
    I really wanted to enjoy Star Fox Zero, and tried a variety of techniques to adjust to the motion controls and dual screen use. Ultimately this became more of a focus of the game than the game itself, even Kotaku noted a great proportion of their review to "How to sit while playing to adjust to dual screens", the answer is basically lying down, so you have both screens in view at the sameI really wanted to enjoy Star Fox Zero, and tried a variety of techniques to adjust to the motion controls and dual screen use. Ultimately this became more of a focus of the game than the game itself, even Kotaku noted a great proportion of their review to "How to sit while playing to adjust to dual screens", the answer is basically lying down, so you have both screens in view at the same time. Once you do this, it does become a lot easier to switch between the two screens, particularly at fast focus moments using the Arwing.
    I'm a huge Nintendo nerd...and really wanted to enjoy this game, but the controls were so frustrating, despite completing the single player campaign a few times across different routes, that it just wasn't fun for me. I think this is the crucial thing, I didn't find it enjoyable.
    Aside from the controls the game itself was primarily nostalgic of Lylat Wars, and that in itself is a good thing. The art style, conversations and gameplay were good, however it seems lacking in terms of new and different aspects that...again...were enjoyable. Yes there were a variety of new vehicles, but it felt like these were almost an after thought as there didn't feature a whole lot in the gameplay. Aside from updated graphics, which still weren't particularly amazing for a 2016 release, it felt to me like Star Fox Zero was an updated reboot with broken control schemes. At first I perceived for the challenge, but I'll say it one more time, in the end it just wasn't fun and the controls interfered with what otherwise could have been a great game.
  25. May 18, 2016
    What can I say about Star Fox Zero? How about a massive missed opportunity? Here you have a game that could have been the spiritual successor to a fantastic game from 19 years ago and what it tuned out to be is a bit of a mess frankly.
    It seems that Miamoto San was so desperate to try to show you why the Wii U Gamepad was a good thing that he threw common sense out the window when designing it. The bottom line is this - this game plays worse than its N64 father and by a long way. It plays worse than anything that I can remember Nintendo releasing in a long long time.
    The motion controls need to be calibrated repeatedly.... Like every time you shoot something. It is a solution for a problem that didn't exist in the first place and you fight it the whole game. Also, for a Star Fox game it's amazing just how much of this game sees you in other vehicles. The amount of pure Star Fox in this game is low, and the other vehicles just aren't that fun to play.
    It's rare that a AAA Nintendo title lets me down but this sure is one of those occasions.
  26. May 23, 2016
    "No Joke Flying a Plane Without a Yoke"

Star Fox is back and with Platinum Studios, the developers of high octane action games like Bayonetta, Vanquished and Viewtiful Joe at the controls what can possibly go....wait...Where the $*^% are the controls! Damn, spent so much time checking my G-Diffusion system thingy I forgot to make sure I had a yoke. The controls in this game are mind
    "No Joke Flying a Plane Without a Yoke"

Damn, spent so much time checking my G-Diffusion system thingy I forgot to make sure I had a yoke. The controls in this game are mind boggling bad, in fact it makes the motion controls in Lair (the game that robbed us of Factor Five and the Rouge Squadron games) seem tight and fluid by comparison. The controls work semi okay on the traditional rail stages but for the other half of the game you might as well hit the ejection button and get the hell out of there.

More surprising than Nintendo killing a game with an unnecessary gimmick is the fact that the level design is surprisingly poor and uninspired. Coming from a Studio of Platinum's Pedigree I was expecting some exciting, bat **** crazy scenarios, but save for one or two moments, not even levels mind you, but one or two moments this game is sleepy. It's as if developers felt beaten down by the controls schemes and just slept walk through development, with uninspired levels and enemies to gameplay mechanics that are introduced only to be completely dropped from the sky, like a space ship dropping from orbit and burning up on re-entry because Nintendo stole their damn yoke!

Star Fox Zero is a really bad game. No one, and I mean no one would be defending this game if it didn't have characters that a large portion of us feel nostalgic for. This is Nintendo at it's very worst and doesn't bode well for the future of the studio and the gaming landscape in general.
  27. Feb 14, 2017
    I simply don't understand the hate for this game, the graphics were incredible and the gameplay was really fun. The game is pretty short but it has a lot of alternative routes which can make the game last over 10 hours. The boss battle are great and the controls need some time to get used to but are pretty good. This is my favorite Star Fox game along with Assault for the Gamecube.
  28. Apr 29, 2016
    For as long as they'd been working on this game, I was very hyped and hoping that this game was going to be one of the Wii U's top games. After going through the tutorial, I realized that this unfortunately wasn't going to be the case at all. The game is reminiscent to the older Star Fox games in the franchise, but major flaws keep this game from being great.

Graphics: 8/10 That

Graphics: 8/10
    That visuals are great. Nothing eye popping or stunning, but all around appealing. The characters still look a little awkward in my opinion, but still a huge improvement from what they looked like in Star Fox Adventures

Sound: 9/10
    Great music, good sound effects, decent voice acting. I wouldn't mind owning the soundtrack for this game

Gameplay: 3/10
    While the air battles remind you a little bit of Star Fox 64, there is one MAJOR problem that this game suffers, the controls. Having to look at 2 screens for a game where you need undivided attention to dodge enemy fire and obstacles is awful. Having to use motion controls along with joystick steering is confusing, nauseating, and feels much less fluent and more out of control than the game's predecessors. Star Fox was NOT meant for 2 screens and it shows in this game. By far the worst controls of any Star Fox game yet.

Story: 5/10
    Star Fox 64, Ctrl+C , Star Fox Zero, Ctrl+V.

Fun: 7/10
    Even though the horrible controls hinder the game and take away from the experience, it's not at all a bad game. In fact, I still have fun playing and it reminds me of older Star Fox games. I still enjoy playing this game and I fully intend on playing this game to the end.

My Final Rating: 32/50 64%

I like what they were trying to do and I like seeing Nintendo trying to utilize the Gamepad screen more, but it just doesn't work for Star Fox games. Maybe they'll have better luck with Zelda U, which has been delayed AGAIN! This better be one hell of a Zelda game.
  29. May 7, 2016
    I honestly don't know why many people are complaining about the controls. The mechanics are pretty solid and the motion controls can be quite helpful. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to the controls. You can turn them off to an extent but that's only when you're not shooting (that's the setting I use). The best way to avoid using motion controls is to just keep the gamepad stillI honestly don't know why many people are complaining about the controls. The mechanics are pretty solid and the motion controls can be quite helpful. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to the controls. You can turn them off to an extent but that's only when you're not shooting (that's the setting I use). The best way to avoid using motion controls is to just keep the gamepad still while you're shooting. I don't really look at the gamepad a whole lot, but you only really use it for all range mode and the hacking sequences for direct-i.

I'm currently having a blast with this game so far. If you like Star fox 64 and willing to try something new, then this game is for you
  30. May 1, 2016
    Before starting the review: IGNORE the 69 metacritic score that the "professionals" have given to this game. Star Fox Zero is awesome..., but to get to the point of the awesome you have to master an innovative control squeam that i'm sure not many people will tolerate, but if you do you are gonna have a great time.

STORY: A huge monkey, called Andross, wants to conquer the Lylat system.

STORY: A huge monkey, called Andross, wants to conquer the Lylat system. So team Starfox, a group that consists of Peppy hare, Falco lombardi, Slippy toad and Fox MCcloud, son of James MCcloud who previously died in battle helping Peppy escape from a trap, and they are known as team Star Fox. And they are here to stop Andross.

PRESENTATION: One of the complains i see come up when haters say that this game is a piece of **** is the fact that the graphics, even for a Wii U game, are bad.

I do agree with the fact that this is certainly not one of the best looking games on the system, but to call it a bad looking game i feel is a bit exaggerated. Models and animations are simple, but colorful and charming. And the environments look great, with many details, colors and enemies all over the place. And also the explanation for the graphics not being better is because the game has to render and stream 2 different images in real time at 60 fps, so it's obvious that the graphics needed to be downgraded. And you might say that every Wii U game does that, yeah, but the difference here is that its 2 totally different images at same time, not 1 image that displace on the TV and Gamepad.

Aside from the graphics the resolution of the game is 720p, but to compensate the game runs at a perfect 60 fps, there are some drops tho and sometimes it will drop from 50-40 fps!!, but nothing that will ruin the experience of play.

And the Music...do i even need to say anything?. The soundtrack is amazing!!, giving the game an energetic feel and every theme is extremely well done, but i wish it was orchestrated.

GAMEPLAY: The main change to the Star Fox formula that Zero brings to the table is the control. In previous games when you wanted to shoot to a specific place your arwing will go there as well, which really wasn't a big issue, but Star Fox Zero removes that since now to aim you use the Wii U Gamepad's motion controls. This is the single greatest complain i see from gamers and reviewers alike...i'm sorry but i have to disagree with them. The new controls are excellent, they will take time to master, but once you do...oh boy does it feel great. With this you can pull of moves manures that were impossible to do previously and it adds so much versatility to the controls. And if they ever fail to respond, you press Y to calibrate them.

Not only that, but the famous moves like the Barrel Roll, used to reflect proyectiles and avoid them at the same time and the somersault (activated with the X button), used to get behind enemies and avoid attacks, help this control squeam a whole lot more. Plus this means that the second joystick is free and with it you can activate the Barrel role, but also slow down or speed up.

Throughout levels you will find upgrades to your laser and ship that will last until the stage finishes, and also you will find some bombs that you shoot to completely annihilate enemies or bosses.

Speaking of. Man the bosses are great, they all require a different stragetie to defeat and they all have a certain weak point, requiring you to develop a stragetie. I think my favorite ones are the Star Wolf's dog fights, they are so fun and i mean, c'mon, who doesn't like a good 101 fight?.

There are many different vehicles in the game:

Arwing: Your standard ship which shoots lasers and controls excellent.

Walker: The transformation of the Arwing by pressing A. This one is hard to control, but you will get accustomed. Other than that, it can hover, it can hack things and it looks like a chicken!.

Landmaster: A little clunky to control, but i mean, c'mon, it's a tank that can also fly!. Other than that, it's just really an Arwing on the ground that controls a lot better than the Walker.

Gyrowing: It's a helicopter that can also deployed a little robot that can hack things. I feel like it controls well and it uses the controls and features of the game well.

The game unfortunately takes about 3 hours to complete when you don't care about the extra modes or the different paths. But if you do, the lenght will be around 8 hours and with co-op, training and the fantastic arcade mode, which showcases the 19 different ways to complete the game, the game can last about 40 hours, specially if you want to get all the 70 medals.

Finally, the game has some amiibo functionality that let's you customize your arwing, but don't worry, you can unlock the costumes by 100% the game.

Overall Star Fox Zero is a great game, it has tons of replay value, excellent music, nice graphics, variety and great controls once you get accustomed to them. With that said i'll give this game a 9/10.
  31. Apr 27, 2016
    I want to love Star Fox Zero, I really do, but there are too many little issues holding me back.

The controls seem to have a heavy dose of "tried to fix what wasn't broken". Seriously, they very blatantly wanted to shoehorn that **** Wii U pad in like crazy and it shows because there was absolutely nothing wrong with the controls from Lylat Wars/Starfox 64. There should have been a way to play with the old controls, even if only for the Arwing. Anyone who says something along the lines of "Git Gud" needs to realize that the issue isn't that the controls are difficult, they're just UNNECESSARY AND ANNOYING.

Also can't make the voices come from the TV. Why this is even a **** issue in a AAA game, I don't know but I chalk it up to more **** Wii U Gamepad shoe-horning. At least I hope it is because the other option is incompetence.

Probably the biggest issue is the inclusion of vehicles that severely impact the pace of the game like the chicken walker. Star Fox Zero couldn't **** decide whether it wanted to be an on-rails shooter or an adventure game. It should have picked one of them and focused on it instead of trying to have it's cake and eat it too because having both of them SEVERELY impacts replay-ability.

The game has plenty of nods to older games in the series which is nice, pandering to nostalgia aside, but they played it too safe on the story and stuck too close to the original Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars. I think the game would have benefited from a bit more variance in that aspect and bit less variance in the controls department.

At the end of the day, the game is fun. But unlike Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64 and the original Star Fox, this doesn't have the spark that will keep me playing it after I've played through all the planets/missions and I don't really feel like I got my $$$ worth.
  32. May 12, 2016
    When I first got this game I was excited but at the same time I was very concerned about all the reviewers I watched on YouTube citing issues and problems about the controls mainly on how longer it was said to get used to them and the learning curve. I wanted to like this game and have a great time with it but in the back of my head the concern of issues plaguing my play-through wouldWhen I first got this game I was excited but at the same time I was very concerned about all the reviewers I watched on YouTube citing issues and problems about the controls mainly on how longer it was said to get used to them and the learning curve. I wanted to like this game and have a great time with it but in the back of my head the concern of issues plaguing my play-through would knock it down for me.

So I decided to start with training mode and while at first I had some trouble getting used to certain aspects, each time I played it I got better and better until around six times of playing the same Training course for a high score and managed over 200 points. At this time I decided to try the campaign and to my huge relief the issues that might have plagued me were entirely gone. I don't know if it was because I decided to try training mode first but i got used to the control scheme far faster than I excited.

When going through the on rails sections for the most part I felt as though I didn't even need to use the cockpit view on the gamepad screen and only did so in minimum moments. I was having the same blast of fun as I did in 64 and to an extent Assault. The motion aiming with the gyro felt surprisingly good which made me remember how great, fast and accurate the aiming controls were in Resident Evil 4 Wii Addition and were superior to the stick option.

It did take a little getting used to with the right stick being the roll, somersault and so on but never got in the way too much. Having said all of this I did have some annoyance and frustration with bosses that forced you to have a fixed targeting view particularly the warp hole boss in Corneria and the final boss as having to look at the gamepad was frustrating only because I had to pay attention to when the force fields would spread out.

Though i don't see this as much of a game breaker once you memorize the battles. For the most part besides this each boss battle felt different and presented new challenges to me and the option for multiple paths is as welcoming as it was in the 64 original and 3DS games. The hard mode that allows a full play-through with only one life was as thrilling as it was in ZombiU's Survivor Mode. The sense of thrill and dread as you can't afford to screw up played on your memorization of each level and reaction times.

As for the Gyro wing... well I see many hate it and it's slow paced gameplay style. For me personally I enjoy stealth games and the pacing wasn't so bothersome as I like exploring when I'm given the option so liking the Gyro Wing missions is based entirely on you and your tastes if you like stealth and exploration, this shouldn't bother you that much. The Tank feels and plays well enough and actually feels a bit better to me in some ways over the 64 version.

Which reminds me, the story retelling. Yeah that is a bit odd and while I like the opening I felt some moments were a bit too familiar despite how much was changed up but all in all it wasn't that much of a bother to me. I do enjoy the added double lock on charge shot feature and even though it's a small addition it feels nice and brings a bit more power to the arwing and the Landmaster.

As far as the button layout I MAY have had trouble learning what was where if it hadn't been a few years since I played Star Fox 64 3D, but because of this knowing the trigger was on R and not A never messed me up however I can not players all players will get used to that quickly. The chatter between characters is as lively and cheesy as I remember and provides some good laughs throughout the action along with a nice soundtrack.

While it may sound like all my issues with the game are minor nitpicks there IS one area I simply can not let pass and that is the lack of a multiplayer mode which I agree on the majority about. Miyamoto needs to understand that Online multiplayer with the right games would add a ton to it's replay value and out of most IPs I feel Star Fox would be a standout with all range mode dog fights with up to 4-8 players. I can completely understand why local multiplayer is absent due to the gamepad being necessary for the gameplay so anyone with a pro controller would be at a disadvantage, however online doesn't have that excuse and it should have been something that was there as Assault's multiplayer was fun.

However I do feel that if time was needed, an update bringing Online Multiplayer to the game with the same polish as the rest would be totally understandable. Having to wait for an online update for an online multiplayer mode is perfectly fine because you need online in the first place to play such a mode or dlc. so if you don't have internet and can't get a free update for online multiplayer, you wouldn't be missing anything you could use otherwise. But time will tell if this is added and I seriously hope it is.

I loved it despite flaws and missing features. I recommend watching The Completionist's YouTube review for a deeper analyses.
  33. May 18, 2016
    This game was the biggest disappointment of the year for me. It shows how Nintendo isn't evolving in the gaming world. Things are suppose to be bigger and better looking, Star Fox Zero doesn't deliver that. Aside from the awkward and annoying controls, the game itself is extremely short, probably about 1/3 the size of the N64 version. Looking at two screens was a terrible idea that isThis game was the biggest disappointment of the year for me. It shows how Nintendo isn't evolving in the gaming world. Things are suppose to be bigger and better looking, Star Fox Zero doesn't deliver that. Aside from the awkward and annoying controls, the game itself is extremely short, probably about 1/3 the size of the N64 version. Looking at two screens was a terrible idea that is forced on the player for this game. There is no way around it. It's so bad, and so pointless. To me it just felt like Nintendo was trying to say that the game tablet had a purpose, and maybe it could have for this game but dividing your attention between your TV and tablet isn't fun or very practical. If you want to play a great Star Fox game, stick to the snes and N64 versions. I played through Zero once just because they got my money, I didn't enjoy the experience enough to go back and play again. Expand
  34. Nov 23, 2016
    This game is so horribly broken, yes you can adjust to the **** controls... But why would you want too? My review of the first two StarFox games SNES and N64 would be 90+% This one I am not even sure how it got past the play testing stage with out some one saying "Hey can't we just have normal controls?" The game is gorgeous and has fantastic sound. Had it a normal control scheme like itThis game is so horribly broken, yes you can adjust to the **** controls... But why would you want too? My review of the first two StarFox games SNES and N64 would be 90+% This one I am not even sure how it got past the play testing stage with out some one saying "Hey can't we just have normal controls?" The game is gorgeous and has fantastic sound. Had it a normal control scheme like it screams for... This is a fantastic example of why people say they hate motion controls (I like them when they are done right) StarFox Zero and also my score... *cries* Expand
  35. Mar 4, 2017
    Worst controls i`ve ever seen in a video game. GTA IV with drunk camera effects is better than this piece of trash. This game is so bad that people should actually get paid to play it instead of paying to play it.
  36. Jul 24, 2016
    Its a 2 to 3 hour long railroad shooter with no replay value, i can not see why people would give this anything more then 4.

(I need 150 sign, so ignore this)
  37. Feb 15, 2017
    logra un gran avance en cuanto a la jugabilidad .. logra explotar al maximo las funciones del mando innovador y entretenido perfecto para pasar el rato y disfrutar de una agradable partida
  38. Apr 30, 2016
    Polarizing reboot to Star Fox has a unique control scheme that reviewers cannot get into. (It seems that their skill sets are limited to FPS like Call of Duty). There is a learning curve, but by no means it is a broken game. Once you get used to the controls, you will find an adrenaline pumping arcade game of olden days. It reminds you of games such as Galaxy Force or Space Harrier,Polarizing reboot to Star Fox has a unique control scheme that reviewers cannot get into. (It seems that their skill sets are limited to FPS like Call of Duty). There is a learning curve, but by no means it is a broken game. Once you get used to the controls, you will find an adrenaline pumping arcade game of olden days. It reminds you of games such as Galaxy Force or Space Harrier, where you sit down on an elaborate cabinet, with motion controlled chairs. This will probably be the last great Wii U game released as Nintendo prepares for the arrival of the NX, and its also a steal because it includes Star Fox Guard as well. Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2016
    After waiting 10 years for a new game in my favorite series, Star Fox Zero is just one big "Meh...".

Mostly forgettable missions, annoying motion controls, and boring boss fights all take away what could have been a great game.
  40. Apr 27, 2016
    This game is pretty awesome. Controls are very confusing at first, it's a lot to take in, but honestly I find mastering the controls to be one of the more rewarding aspects of the game! I've been playing every star fox game since the original came out on SNES. I found the original game, and Star Fox 64 to be difficult early on as well (although it could have also been because I was likeThis game is pretty awesome. Controls are very confusing at first, it's a lot to take in, but honestly I find mastering the controls to be one of the more rewarding aspects of the game! I've been playing every star fox game since the original came out on SNES. I found the original game, and Star Fox 64 to be difficult early on as well (although it could have also been because I was like 10 years old), but the reward came from replaying the game over and over and mastering every level.

My only gripe is that this is a reboot, or a "reimagining" of star fox/star fox 64. However, star fox was never known for it's story, it really doesn't have much of one to begin with, it's all about the gameplay. Gameplay-wise this is an excellent evolution of the series and I hope they continue on this path!

So all of that being said, I would NOT recommend this game to anyone who really can't stand gyro controls, as the cockpit view and precision aiming is entirely controlled via gyro. It definitely takes some getting used to, and it constantly needs recalibration (accomplished simply enough by just pressing "Y" at any time, but still annoying nonetheless). If you don't mind the gyro controls though this game is a definite recommendation to anyone who is a fan of any of the star fox games, or to anyone who is interested in a challenging on-rails (except for all-range mode parts) shooter! There's a ton of stuff to master here, looking forward to replaying it over and over for years to come
  41. May 14, 2016
    a perfectly good game smothered by repetitive stages and boss fights , counter-intuitive controls that just plain dont work,the lack of content, lack of replay-ability, and an overused story , star fox zero is a stab in the heart for the franchise, and another step towards deaths door for nintendo
  42. May 1, 2016
    Why Nintendo felt the need to add puzzle/stealth sections to a rail shooter I will never know. Nintendo should have focused on better AI and better maneuvers for all range dog fights, one of the few things that Star Fox 64 could have been improved with. Instead we got the gyrowing and the walker, neither of which enhance the game whatsoever. I have no problem with the short run time or theWhy Nintendo felt the need to add puzzle/stealth sections to a rail shooter I will never know. Nintendo should have focused on better AI and better maneuvers for all range dog fights, one of the few things that Star Fox 64 could have been improved with. Instead we got the gyrowing and the walker, neither of which enhance the game whatsoever. I have no problem with the short run time or the fact that this was a reboot. If you're going to do a reboot though, bring back Area 6! Expand
  43. May 24, 2016
    Dumb, **** lazy, confuse, short, and the list goes on.. The game lacks of a good story (it's a remake) and the gameplay is boring and confuse... it makes no sense..!
  44. Apr 22, 2016
    I'll admit I only got this game on launch because I had a pre-order for it that I had made when it was first announced. I was ALMOST scared away by the reviews from the so-called "professional" critics, but I had faith in the promises made by the developers. I'm so glad that I decided to give it a chance after-all. Why do we put so much faith in the words of reviewers who either can't beI'll admit I only got this game on launch because I had a pre-order for it that I had made when it was first announced. I was ALMOST scared away by the reviews from the so-called "professional" critics, but I had faith in the promises made by the developers. I'm so glad that I decided to give it a chance after-all. Why do we put so much faith in the words of reviewers who either can't be bothered to learn a game's control style or who are, quite frankly, just not that good at video games? The ridiculous vendetta that people have against this game is unfair.

Let's get the controls out of the way first. Just like I got used to the controls in Splatoon, I got used to the controls in Star Fox Zero. A short play through of the included tutorial is all you need. And after that, it's time for action. And man oh man, is the game action-packed.

The Gyrowing aside, the ships handle very well and piloting the Arwing feels natural and inuitive. I love the dogfights. They're exhilirating, exciting, and they get your adrenaline going. The music and sound effects are great and really immerse you into the gameplay. I do agree that it would have been nice to have the option of having your teammates' voices coming from the television, but it's such a minor complaint it's barely even worth mentioning. I don't personally mind that they come from the gamepad because it just lends to the feeling that the gamepad is a "part" of the ship itself.

Overall, I can't really find a lot to nitpick about. I would have liked the game to be a bit longer, simply because it is such a blast to play. But the challenges, secrets and hidden routes lend to the replayability after the roughly 6-7 hour story mode is wrapped up.

I have no idea why this game didn't score at LEAST an 8 with critics. That in itself is extremely questionable.

Go out and get this game. Have fun.
  45. Apr 28, 2016
    This is a great game. The controls, while not like the previous games, are responsive and allows you to be more 'in control'. The motion controls while criticized, do not actually take that long to get used to. The level design is excellent, while short, it offers much to go back to and play again.
  46. Apr 27, 2016
    I've changed my mind about the game after playing it for a few hours. Piloting the vehicles is a lot of fun. If you take the time to play the training missions over and over for an hour or two, the dual screen setup should be easier to manage. The game would score higher in my opinion had Nintendo and Platinum spruced up the all range mode arenas, and tripled the on rails sections. IfI've changed my mind about the game after playing it for a few hours. Piloting the vehicles is a lot of fun. If you take the time to play the training missions over and over for an hour or two, the dual screen setup should be easier to manage. The game would score higher in my opinion had Nintendo and Platinum spruced up the all range mode arenas, and tripled the on rails sections. If you're not a big Star Fox fan, you might want to pass on this until a game slump presents itself. Expand
  47. Apr 23, 2016
    If you complain that Star Fox is short, you all don't understand Star Fox. Star Fox franchise has "always" been an arcade game. The game is great, If you like Star Fox games, you will like this too.
  48. Apr 23, 2016
    This game is great. I've always loved Star Fox, and this is the best one. The controls are a bit more complicated than before, but these professional reviewers are full of it. You need about five minutes to get good enough to play competently. And then you can take all the time you want to get good at the game, and the more you try, the better and more fun it gets. It's extremelyThis game is great. I've always loved Star Fox, and this is the best one. The controls are a bit more complicated than before, but these professional reviewers are full of it. You need about five minutes to get good enough to play competently. And then you can take all the time you want to get good at the game, and the more you try, the better and more fun it gets. It's extremely satisfying.

Honestly, I can only think some of the grumpier reviewers just refused to play the game as it's meant to be played. I think they just went in with their bad strategy, and tried to improve their bad strategy. And they ended up constantly looking between two screens. In reality, friend, please know, you will not be constantly shifting your view from the TV to the gamepad and back. The TV gives you precise piloting and decent aiming. The gamepad gives you decent piloting and precise aiming. It's a choice, and both work, and you don't need to switch all that often. Most of your shots don't have to be precise. But if you want a crazy high score, it can help, and that's where the fun process of mastery comes into play.

Really, this game is just super fun. If you have a Wii U, there is no reason not to buy this.
  49. May 20, 2018
    star fox Zero nota 9....................... ........ .....................
  50. Apr 29, 2016
    Excellent game no matter what the critics say. Once you master the controls it's pure fun. One of my favorite Star fox game (with star fox 64). About the graphics:I find them very good and respectful of the licence.
  51. Apr 23, 2016
    Germany, Autumn 1997:
    Germany, Autumn 1997:
    My brother and I are eight and seven years old and we have not had any contact with any type of video-games what so ever. But than, on my brothers birthday, my father brings home a strange box as a gift for him. The letters on the box say "Nintendo 64 - including Lylat Wars 64" (German title for SF64). We had no idea that the content of that box was the beginning of a gaming career that would last to this very day!
    We instantly fell in love with Star Fox 64 and would play this game every day after school until we knew all the missions, all the sounds and every line of audio by heart.
    Since we became huge Nintendo fans that fateful day of 97, we of course bought the Game-Cube when it came out five years later. Sadly the two Star Fox games released for the Game-Cube where a little disappointing, to say the least, so the whole Star Fox franchise went dark for us. Then in 2011 the game re-released for the 3DS, which reinstated a wish for a new good Star Fox title in our minds.
    Now in 2016 this wish was finally fulfilled. We were really excited when we first heard that there was going to be a new SF game, but we were also fearing that it would be just another bad reboot or another horrible sequel. Thankfully we were dead wrong! Star Fox Zero is just amazing! I immediately felt like when I was just a kid, back in 97: having to figure out how to go to all planets and systems, finding out how to kill the final boss...just awesome! Just for making me relive this feeling the game earns a 10/10 rating. There us however on thing that is bad, if not annoying. I'm of course talking about the controls. The motion-controls make the game unnecessary hard and it's a shame you cant invert horizontal-gyro-controls. I hope that Nintendo will make this option possible in a future patch. Aside from that Star Fox Zero really is a great game for the Wii U and I highly recommend this game to all the Nintendo and Star Fox fans out there.
    Star Fox Zero: 10/10 must buy!
  52. Apr 27, 2016
    At first I thought that many of the reviewers were spitting innovation, progress and creativity in the face because the parts of the final product didn't fit together. After playing it for 8 hours it seems they were spitting innovation, progress and creativity in the face just because they hate that stuff and/or are mentally challenged. Maybe Nintendo needs to learn their lesson and ad aAt first I thought that many of the reviewers were spitting innovation, progress and creativity in the face because the parts of the final product didn't fit together. After playing it for 8 hours it seems they were spitting innovation, progress and creativity in the face just because they hate that stuff and/or are mentally challenged. Maybe Nintendo needs to learn their lesson and ad a dumbed down "reviewer mode" for next time. The only innovation they're waiting for is a way to jerk off using the right analog stick. Or maybe they're not waiting... Expand
  53. May 13, 2016
    I love Star Fox, it is the only arcade flight combat game that currently exists to my knowledge. The game-play is therefore truly unique and quite an experience. However, that is the only saving grace of this game. The dual screen controls are unnecessary and wouldn't need to exist if the reticle on screen were accurate. The game is clunky and the story, beyond being just a rehash, isI love Star Fox, it is the only arcade flight combat game that currently exists to my knowledge. The game-play is therefore truly unique and quite an experience. However, that is the only saving grace of this game. The dual screen controls are unnecessary and wouldn't need to exist if the reticle on screen were accurate. The game is clunky and the story, beyond being just a rehash, is just presented badly. Ultimately, this game shouldn't exist, it is just a worse version of Star Fox 64. This is a franchise that needs to evolve. The open levels are far too enclosed and the game is so short that you do not even get used to the controls by the end. It would be saved if the levels were anything revolutionary but only 2 really stick out. This game feels like it was rushed out, the story is bad, the game play is clunky, and the levels uninspired. I really expected more out of Nintendo of all people. Expand
  54. Apr 23, 2016
    Star Fox Zero is a good game. Just a good game. The core game play is hampered by frustrating controls and an overuse of gimmicks. The soundtrack while good; was not as exciting as in previous entries. The story is barely more in depth than in Star Fox 64. The core path does not have alternate routes, but merely bonus missions. The lack of multiplayer is also a disappointment. I hadStar Fox Zero is a good game. Just a good game. The core game play is hampered by frustrating controls and an overuse of gimmicks. The soundtrack while good; was not as exciting as in previous entries. The story is barely more in depth than in Star Fox 64. The core path does not have alternate routes, but merely bonus missions. The lack of multiplayer is also a disappointment. I had expected better for $60. Nintendo innovated where things should have been left alone, and failed to innovate where such efforts would have been worthwhile.

Overall, Star Fox 64 is simply the better game; which is a real shame considering the superior hardware Star Fox Zero has at it's disposal. Buy this if you're a hardcore Star Fox fan, if you can get it cheap, or if it's bundled with Star Fox Guard. If you've never played Star Fox I highly suggest getting the 64 version on the Wii U virtual console rather than this.
  55. Apr 27, 2016
    Star Fox Zero is what all the fans have been asking for since 1997! The gameplay, branching paths, story, and characters are finally here for Wii U and it is glorious! Okay, so, what exactly makes it so good? Well let’s start with the story. The story takes us back to the same time as the N64 version did, so it is the same story, under a different name. While it is still a good story, IStar Fox Zero is what all the fans have been asking for since 1997! The gameplay, branching paths, story, and characters are finally here for Wii U and it is glorious! Okay, so, what exactly makes it so good? Well let’s start with the story. The story takes us back to the same time as the N64 version did, so it is the same story, under a different name. While it is still a good story, I did wish they tried something new.
    The gameplay is very fun, and the idea of using the Wii U gamepad for a cockpit view and the means of aiming was and excellent idea. The controls, though they are difficult to learn, are easy to master and once you get the hang of it, it feels very smooth. The soundtrack is fine, nothing really good but nothing bad either, then again no Star Fox OST has very iconic songs, with maybe the exception of “Corneria” for the original SNES title.
    Though the new voice actors for all of the characters do feel a bit wrong, it can be forgivable since the personalities of these lovable characters remain the same. However, there are issues which have still never been fixed from the N64 version. First, the difficulty curve. As you must know, a single Star Fox campaign lasts a range from 2-3 hours. So to make up for that, they added branching paths, for tons of combinations of experiences and giving it much repeatability. And like the original, there are three main paths, the easy, medium, and hard paths, in which you can switch to as you play. But here is where the problems come in, if you accidentally switch to a harder level, it can become incredibly hard. Even if you stay on the hard path the level “Sector Gamma” would end up you with at least 3 continues before moving on.
    Plus the fact that the slow horizontal turning in all-range mode makes levels even harder, and not in a good way. So all in all I highly recommend this game for Nintendo fans, skeptical nostalgic lovers, and people who needs something new to play. And if you get it now, you get Star Fox Guard for free! So all in all, I give Star Fox Zero an 8/10.
  56. Apr 22, 2016
    The game looks and plays great. It's easier than past Star Fox games but that's not a horrible thing. The story is short, but the branching paths are there to make it replayable. It's deserving of a better score than what the critics gave it.
  57. Apr 23, 2016
    First, the praise: Graphically, the game looks fantastic but it does suffer from frequent frame rate drops. The sound and soundtrack is good though the voice overs, as always, leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, this is where the praise ends.

Let's start with the biggest issue: This game is short, short, SHORT! The game can be easily beaten in 2.5 to 3 hours and replay value is limited only to trying the branching paths and grabbing all of the collectibles. Gathering everything and finding all the branching paths MIGHT get you a total of 8 hours play time out of the ENTIRE game. It genuinely feels like they packed in Star Fox Guard because Nintendo knew the total playtime of Star Fox Zero was abysmal they'd try to deflect criticism by packing in a second title (which, frankly, is barely better than the plethora of cheap mobile Tower Defense games, I'm sad to say).

Now for the elephant in the room: Motion controls and second screen gameplay. In a word: Horrible. Yes, it doesn't take much to get used to them but there's a difference between getting used to them and having a GOOD control scheme. Unlike Splatoon which offered at least some sensitivity controls for players to customize their motion control and camera control, Star Fox Zero offers only the barest minimum of control over the motion sensitivity. The player can choose to either have it on all the time or on when pressing the trigger. That's it. No sensitivity controls, no way to completely disable motion control if someone decides they'd rather just go with twin sticks. Unless holding the gamepad perfectly still - which is a challenging feat - the reticule will drift, thus requiring a constant pressing of left stick or the Y button to recenter the aiming. The Y button will easily become the second most pressed button on the gamepad behind the ZR firing trigger.

Perhaps the shortness of the game is a blessing in disguise as the game is simply uncomfortable to play for prolonged periods because the player is constantly forced to shift view from the TV during on-rails and open flight areas to the gamepad for "target mode" areas. When forced to play in target mode, the player still has to glance at the TV for full spacial awareness which essentially means holding the gamepad in an unnatural position in order to see both screens - not to mention the eye strain of constantly bouncing between focus. This might work on the 3DS where both screens are near uniform distance from the player but on this game it's literally a pain in the eyes, neck and hands.

A title that can be completely played out in about 8 hours with shoe-horned in two screen gameplay, poorly optimized motion controls, and a lackluster tower defense pack in game is absolutely inexcusable at the $60 price point in 2016. At best this is a budget title and if this is the best Nintendo could do with the Star Fox IP, it was best left alone. People name dropping Star Fox 64 are obviously blinded by nostalgia alone; if you want the Star Fox 64 experience and have a 3DS, but Star Fox 64 3D. It's cheaper and far more entertaining than this blatant cash grab.
  58. Apr 22, 2016
  59. Apr 22, 2016
    Me ha gustado mucho, el control si es difícil de dominar al inicio pero una vez lo dominas se vuelve un gran juego, es un gran reto dominar el control por movimiento, un reto... cosa que los juegos actuales no tienen.
  60. May 5, 2016
    After spending more time with Star Fox Zero, I've decided to revise my review from the harsh 6/10 score I gave originally. Star Fox Zero is definitely a solid 8/10, though I do also agree with what several 7/10 reviewers have said about the game.

I’m not advocating to remove motion controls for those that enjoy them, I just think it’s not much to ask for options present in previous official Nintendo games to be present in a newly released 2016 game. Star Fox Zero is not a Wii U launch title. What works for one player won’t always work for others. That’s why different control options exist. Splatoon did this, Star Fox Zero should've done this as well.

As for Star Fox Zero itself? Its definitely the Star Fox game I’ve been waiting 20 long years since Star Fox 64 to finally release. Unfortunately, Nintendo didn't do its part to keep the game accessible for everyone. However, it definitely doesn't ruin what is otherwise a fun and solid Star Fox game though.

Is Star Fox Zero worth a buy? Speaking as a Star Fox fan, I'd definitely say yes. However, with only the one means of control, I can't speak for everyone as each person's preference is not often the same. I bought it day one, I see the game I wanna give a 10/10 is right in front of me, but because of these lack of control options controls? I'm going with a solid 8/10.

In conclusion, should Nintendo either patch in the requested alternative control options or offer people who desire these a replacement version of Star Fox Zero that has them, I will definitely revise again my current score and review to reflect these changes.
  61. Apr 23, 2016
    while the controls provide a very high level of entry, that takes a few hours to master. they provide opportunities for level design and maneuvers that would not be available otherwise. with some of the best level design in a star fox game to date, with high-speed action with memorable and funny characters, This is definitely a game worth getting.
  62. Apr 25, 2016
    A great return to the Star Fox universe. Don't listen the controller complains, it's something you must see trough your own game experience to build your own opinion. If you're used to simple game mechanics, and you're not open to learn how to handle a new style of gameplay ignore this game. But if you like to live again the Star Fox franchise and are open to relearn how to play with yourA great return to the Star Fox universe. Don't listen the controller complains, it's something you must see trough your own game experience to build your own opinion. If you're used to simple game mechanics, and you're not open to learn how to handle a new style of gameplay ignore this game. But if you like to live again the Star Fox franchise and are open to relearn how to play with your Wii U, Star Fox Zero is a Must Have in your collection. Expand
  63. Apr 23, 2016
    me ha gustado mucho la manera que el nuevo sistema de control introduce al principio es un poco difícil pero ya cuando te acostumbras esta genial!! y aparte el juego me hiso recordar al star fox de 64 que jugué cuando era puberto es un gran juego y esta muy infravalorado!! pero la industria debería tener mas juegos como este!
  64. Apr 26, 2016
    The game was thought for the gamepad, is a game loaded with a lot of fun, simply excellent!!
    Nintendo and Platinum games brought this classic with a fresh control scheme
  65. May 5, 2016
    To address the major issue I see people having with this game: it took me less than 5 minutes to get used to the controls. I don't even consider myself to be that good at games and I had zero problem. I had a harder time getting used to analog sticks back in the day than I did adjusting to this. If you can't get used to the controls, the problem is you.

The game gives you all the tools

The game gives you all the tools you need to succeed. If you fail, that's on you. Not once did I ever feel anything in this game was unfair. Parts of it are balls hard, but what did you expect? Platinum helped design it. If you spent even 5 minutes playing The Wonderful 101 you should have expected that. Besides, doesn't everyone complain games are too easy these days until a slightly difficult one comes out?

I'm giving it a 9 because even though I did enjoy it, there were a couple things that hold it back. The Gyrowing is completely unintuitive to control. That has nothing to do with motion controls. It just doesn't control like anything else in the game and I could never get used to it. I would probably have given it 10 anyway if the Retro Arwing made all the music sound 16 bit. That would have been cool.
  66. May 10, 2016
    One of the best games on wii u, control design is a new experience. It is a game that should spend time, since the control design is immersive. The order of the missions is intended to generate a workout, you do not realize as half of the game and you have mastered control. An arcade and 90, which is an experience not currently. If I could have better graphics deria a game of 10/10.
  67. May 10, 2016
    Ok. Back in 2015 I was really hyped to play this game. I remembered long hours of fun playing Starfox 64 as a kid. I looked forward to what they would do with the franchise for the wii U. But then the reviews came out. I was very unfortunate that the very first one I read was Arthur Gies' from Polygon.com. He made such a strong, negative comment (at least he made it clear it wasn't aOk. Back in 2015 I was really hyped to play this game. I remembered long hours of fun playing Starfox 64 as a kid. I looked forward to what they would do with the franchise for the wii U. But then the reviews came out. I was very unfortunate that the very first one I read was Arthur Gies' from Polygon.com. He made such a strong, negative comment (at least he made it clear it wasn't a review) that I suddenly felt disinterested. Now I think they should fire the guy.
    So the day came when I saw it for sale. I was with a couple friends and they insisted I should buy it (so they could later borrow it). Anyway, they insisted a lot so I finally bought it. When I started playing it, at first it felt weird. No other game had prepared me to have to use both screens and these many controls to handle an aircraft. Still, I started getting the hang of it in a while. Don't get me wrong, these controls are hard to master, specially because, again, no other games (that I have played) had prepared me for this. I still wouldn't say I have mastered them completely (after playing a total of maybe 15+ hours -I have been really busy so I haven't been able to play that much yet). Still, when you start to get the hang of it, it becomes a really, really fun game. I keep coming back to it, and that ain't something I can say about any game. And the controls are not just something that gets in the way, they actually make for a richer experience when you begin mastering them. You feel a lot more in control of the aircraft, being able to not just control its direction, but the direction you're shooting at independently.
    I guess it's not a perfect game. It has little flaws. Like I wish there were more hard levels (some of them are kinda easy, at least to be able to get on to the next one). Still, if you're like me (and you probably will, because as I said, it's a really fun game) you'll want to not only pass the mission, but get a higher and higher score. That's where it gets tricky.
    After buying and playing the game for a while I was convinced this Arthur Gies and the other reviewers who complained harshly about the controls were just not open to the idea of having to learn to master a harder set of controls than they've had in other air combat games. But Starfox Zero IS a great game, one that I'm sure will please most gamers if they just give it a chance.
  68. May 13, 2016
    El juego esta muy bien para ser un star fox los controles son un poco dificeles de dominar pero solo al inicio solo se necesita práctica para disfrutarlo, me ha gustado aunque sería mejor que tuviera controles tradicionales
  69. Jun 8, 2016
    The graphics look great, the motion controls were a bit confusing at first but I got used to them very quickly, And oh my god the soundtrack, its amazing!

This was just what I wanted from a star fox game, and to be honest I thought this game was amazing. though it is very similar to star fox SNES, I was pretty ok with it. i mean star fox 64 was a remake of star fox SNES, it got

though it is very similar to star fox SNES, I was pretty ok with it. i mean star fox 64 was a remake of star fox SNES, it got praised, yet this game got bashed for being a remake of star fox 64? I didn't have a problem with the motion controls either, heck I made it through the game just fine without moving the gamepad much (only moved it around during boss fights).

Also I just love how they added that arwing transformation from the unreleased star fox 2! I also love the different unlockables they added as well.
    The black arwing (unlocked by scanning a falco amiibo) is just so cool! I love how it has the ability to lock on to two enemies at once, and I love its appearance! The only downside to using it is that you take more damage, but it's still cool to use. The retro arwing (unlocked by scanning a fox amiibo) is a really cool addition! I love when it turns into the walker, it looks like the walker from star fox 2! Also if you play the corneria level while playing as the retro arwing, the SNES corneria theme will play, and that's a neat addition to the game, especially since I love the SNES corneria theme!
    i
    Overall, I just love everything about this game! Awesome graphics, smooth gameplay, and a fantastic soundtrack! It reminds me so much of star fox 64 3D, which is my second favorite star fox game, my first favorite now being this game. if your a star fox fan, you should definitely play this game!
  70. Jun 20, 2018
    Star fox zero deliveres a fun experience with fun controlls and unique missions. The characters have their good personality like always and the game has many reasons to keep you playing.

Star fox zero gets a 9/10.
  71. Jul 6, 2016
    I know it's been said before, but the people complaining about the controls in this game just suck at it and are too ADD to take the time to get good. This games is actually way easier then Starfox 64, but that's okay, Starfox 64 was way easier then the original Starfox, and I don't remember anyone complaining about that one.
    For those that are all butthurt that the controls aren't
    For those that are all butthurt that the controls aren't exactly the same as Starfox 64...just go play Sin and Punishment Star Successor. I mean, Nintendo doesn't want to make the exact same game over and over again, and there's already plenty of clones, Star Successor probably being one of the better, if not the best one.
    But for those of you that are fans of Starfox, like proper fans, you know, like, all the gold medals on expert in 64 and 100% on every route in the first game, you'll probably love this game because you're probably not som p.o.s millennial who needs their games to cuddle them and hold their hand every step of the way. Seriously this is the most fun I've had with a triple A release in a long time, probably since Bayonetta 2.
  72. Jul 3, 2016
    Really sad this gets such a bad rating, I think the niche that Starfox is and somewhat even has a cult status is what causes this. People not understanding the sheer brilliance of this game, the mechanics are amazing, the voice acting is brilliant and the action is fast paced and resourceful, I can play this game over and over again. Regards, Starfox fan since the first one ever came out.
  73. Jun 19, 2016
    This game is yet one of the best entries in the star fox series, its criticized for its controlls just because the critics are some big noobs who cant learn simple motion controll schemes, its plot and story while similar to star fox 64 i don't care, i just care about shooting stuff. I admit it, the controlls are hard for the first 2 missions and their only problem is the calibration, thatThis game is yet one of the best entries in the star fox series, its criticized for its controlls just because the critics are some big noobs who cant learn simple motion controll schemes, its plot and story while similar to star fox 64 i don't care, i just care about shooting stuff. I admit it, the controlls are hard for the first 2 missions and their only problem is the calibration, that can be fixed with the Y button easily, the enemies are fun to take on, really cool bosses and a great soundtrack, while my only serious problem with the game is the short length Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2016
    Star fox retorna em grande estilo da maneira que tem que ser, um excelente jogo com uma jogabilidade rica em poder usar o gamepad de wiiu para auxiliar, deixando assim a mira muito mais precisa, mas para quem não tem o wiiu ira com certeza sentir dificuldades de inicio ate se acostumar com os comandos. Na parte grafica sempre achamos que poderia ter ficado melhor mas se tratando de um jogoStar fox retorna em grande estilo da maneira que tem que ser, um excelente jogo com uma jogabilidade rica em poder usar o gamepad de wiiu para auxiliar, deixando assim a mira muito mais precisa, mas para quem não tem o wiiu ira com certeza sentir dificuldades de inicio ate se acostumar com os comandos. Na parte grafica sempre achamos que poderia ter ficado melhor mas se tratando de um jogo onde a realidade nao opina ficou agradavel recomendo a todos que gostam de um bom desafio e nostaugia. Expand
  75. Feb 12, 2017
    The controls take some time to get used to, but nothing that some training won't solve. Gameplay is great, level design is excellent. Overall a very good Star Fox game.
  76. May 26, 2016
    Este juego despierta en mi un cierto amor odio, amor porque me encantan los Starfox, me gustan sus niveles, su acción, y odio, porque no se puede quitar el control de movimiento del todo y para mi hace que la experiencia de juego sea una cagada en muchisimas ocasiones.

Niveles y durabilidad, es como todos los StarFox, hay unos 10 planetas a los que puedes ir dependiendo de tus acciones y puntuaciones en ciertos planetas. Esto lo hace corto si tu intencion es darle una sola pasada al juego, pero lo cierto es que estos juegos se disfrutan mucho y son muy arcade entonces siempre rejuegas e intentas conseguir una mayor puntuacion y explorar mas los mapas para conseguir mas medallas.

El sonido es algo que para mi no cumple bien en el juego, pierde mucho. Estas combatiendo y la musica pasa a un segundo plano muy desapercibida y no transmite una sensacion epica de combate, la situacion cambia en algunos jefes donde si cumple, pero hablando del termino general, la musica deja mucho que desear.
    El juego viene doblado al castellano, pero solo en cinematicas, no en las introducciones a las misiones, ni en plena mision, lo cual me parece una cagada gorda, Starfox64 de 3DS va doblado entero al castellano y queda genial, la interaccion en el combate con los compañeros que te dicen: oye Fox, tengo uno en mi cola, puedes abatirlo?, etc...

Jugabilidad, es tan buena como siempre con la diferencia de que aqui entra el control por movimiento y jooooder, como lo odio... reconozco que no esta mal implementado, pero perfiero jugar sin control por movimiento, soy de la vieja escuela, que le voy a hacer. Aparte del control de movimiento hay alguna fase en la que tienes que estar pendiente tanto de la TV como del Gamepad y eso sumado al control de movimiento me ha frustrado sobre todo contra Andross.

Apartado técnico, esta muy cuidado y va todo de maravilla, no he notado tirones de frames ni cosas asi y solo en el boss final he tenido algun que otro fallo con las paredes en el cual me estrellaba con una pared y rebotaba la nave sola sin hacerme daño, lo cual en cierto sentido he agradecido y asi he podido cargarme a Andross.

Graficos, no son nada del otro mundo, pero cumplen bien, es un juego bastante colorido sobre todo en Corneria que luce de lujo y mola muchisimo ir a ras del suelo y sobre todo sobre el agua, eso si, el juego nos ofrece buenas escenas de aviacion y buenas puestas en escena.

Novedades con respecto a otros Starfox, hay cosas muy interesantes, sabeis, ¿cual es el problema? Que solo las usáis en una o dos pantallas como mucho y claro esto te deja con ganas de más, el problema que repites esa misma pantalla una y otra vez para poder disfrutar de ese vehiculo y cuando te completas la pantalla 4 veces habiendo cogido todos los objetos ocultos pues puede llegar a cansar obviamente. Entonces digamos que en novedades el juego cumple, pero le faltan diferentes escenarios donde poder desfogarnos a base de bien manejandolos.

Modos de juego, el juego ofrece el modo historia y entrenamiento de primeras, cuando completas la historia por primera vez sea la variacion de la historia que sea, se desbloquea el modo arcade, que es otra pasada a la historia pero mas competitiva en cuanto a puntuacion, y cuando completamos el modo arcade, aparece otro modo de juego que de momento no se cual es, pero lo averiguare pronto.

Historia, aqui es donde Nintendo no sabe aprovechar nada esta saga, es mas de lo mismo, Andross malo, Corneria y el sistema Lylat en peligro, etc... Aqui Nintendo podria innovar un poco visitando mas planetas, con mas variantes, etc, pero no lo hacen y se nota que esta saga esta muy poco explotada, y es una pena, porque podrian hacer grandisimas cosas con el universo StarFox.

Interaccion con Amiibo, este juego tiene mas bien pocas ventajas por tener los muñecos Amiibo, solo sirven para dos cosas, Falco desbloquea el Arwing Negro, y el muñeco de Fox desbloquea el Arwing Clasico que es un Skin para el Arwing que la viste como en su primer juego en Snes.

En definitiva, es un buen juego a pesar de los pequeños detalles que hacen que no sea una joya grandiosa y por supuesto no va a ser la repera si no te gusta el control por movimiento como es mi caso, aun asi es un juego que se disfruta mucho por su vertiente arcade y por la accion que ofrece
  77. Jul 18, 2016
    A few weeks ago, when asked what he felt the most underrated Wii U game was, Miyamoto offered up Stay Fox Zero. To stand up for this game after many scathing reviews, I decided to take him up on his suggestion and picked up the game...

It is great! The controls are absolutely fine. Re-centering is simple and fast whenever your reticle position drifts off. The experience can get rather frantic at times, but that just adds to the excitement, and I can't imagine that actually flying around dog-fighting is a peaceful, single-focus endeavor.

Having to switch focus from the Gamepad to the TV and back wasn't nearly as burdensome as I feared and others suggest. When the Wii U first came out there was a marketing video demonstrating some of the unique gameplay mechanics that only this combination could provide - and Star Fox Zero is definitely one of those, and for me, was a super fun diversion.
  78. Jan 8, 2017
    This, people, is a reboot done right. It retrofits everything that worked in Star Fox 64 and then some. The graphics are gorgeous for a game on the ill-fated Wii U, the music is top notch, and some of the stages are a blast to play. But the ridiculous insistance on motion controls is a bit of a turn-off for me. But, unlike so many other people that live in their mom's basement, I don'tThis, people, is a reboot done right. It retrofits everything that worked in Star Fox 64 and then some. The graphics are gorgeous for a game on the ill-fated Wii U, the music is top notch, and some of the stages are a blast to play. But the ridiculous insistance on motion controls is a bit of a turn-off for me. But, unlike so many other people that live in their mom's basement, I don't think that the motion controls are so bad that they detriment the whole experience. This is one of the better titles for the Wii U. If you have a Wii U and don't have this game, it's a game you should buy before Nintendo drops the bomb known as the Switch Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Star Fox Zero....... Where do I begin.

To summarize the story of Star Fox Zero; it's the same story as Star Fox 64, except done poorly with some inconsistencies, lack of fully fleshed-out characters in this reboot, and the amount of lies dear old Shigeru Miyamoto told us about what the story in Star Fox Zero was going to have. If you're wondering what lies I'm talking about, he says in his interview with Jirard the Completionist that the story was supposed to make us question about whether General Pepper is good, or if Andross was bad, but no part of this story ever expands upon that idea. The teleporters that Andross uses are just a way for Star Fox to travel to alternate paths in the game, nothing more, and let's not forget the fact that characters act stupid from time to time, like when Fox saves Cat in the first gyrocopter level, and in the next level, when Cat shows up to aid Star Fox, neither Fox nor Cat seems to recognize each other. Hell, even some of the bosses, like Aquarosa in an alternate path of Corneria act like you've fought before when in that particular playthrough, you never ran into this boss, let alone, fight him.

Now lets talk about graphics. In terms of graphics, Star Fox Zero looks alright for a Wii U game, but in terms of Art style, it fails so bad on so many levels where you're on any planet. The buildings and roads in Corneria for example, doesn't seem to connect at all, and are just sitting around like a bunch of lego pieces. Some of you may argue that Star Fox 64 had similar features like that, but that's only there because of how limited the hardware was for the Nintendo 64. Another thing that was really jarring in this game is the enemy designs. While some of them look alright, a good chunk of enemies that are taken from the SNES Star Fox doesn't fit at all with the graphical improvement on the enemies in the N64 game.

Next: Soundtrack. Overall, the soundtrack is decent, not amazing, but not terrible, just decent. Mostly because of the new soundtrack that doesn't sound anything like Star Fox. The remixes of the original tracks are nice, but the original track sounds like something you would slap on any other game and it would fit perfectly well.

Finally: the controls. Now that we finally got to the most discussed part of the game, the controls. To sum it all up, it's awkward as hell. The two different screens used in both the wii u gamepad and TV screen may sound nice at first, but it's a headache when put to the test. Having the gamepad be the only way to shoot enemies while using the TV to move around is a poor concept that should've had a lot more improvement, The very least that Nintendo and Platinum games could've done is give the option to use the pro controller.

So overall, Star Fox Zero is a poorly made game that's sole purpose is to milk out some nostalgia from people who grew up with the N64. The graphics are nice, and the soundtrack is decent, but the other problems I've mentioned are too big for Star Fox Zero to be considered a decent game. If any of you would want to get into the Star Fox franchise, get the N64 version, or if you're a Nintendo 3DS owner, get the 3DS version instead since those are much better than anything Star Fox Zero has to offer.
  80. Feb 24, 2017
    Well... Personally i couldn't understand why people hates a different control for a shooting game...

When i play for first time, and see the Peppy's Special Tutorial... I Never felt bad with the control... i... i felt as i Understand all time ever... The Gameplay, as many other tells, it's a new Reinvention of a Star Fox Game, but for first time... the blasters and the ship are

The Gameplay, as many other tells, it's a new Reinvention of a Star Fox Game, but for first time... the blasters and the ship are different each other, And the Gamepad can create an amazing experience, where you can enjoy the Cabin of the Arwing/Landmaster/Gyrowing, Aim with the Gamepad with a
    Realistic sensitivity (More than ANY Call Of DUTY can do) and feel the conversations via 3D Sound...

I Know than the game is not perfect... maybe Popular things like a Multiplayer will attract more gamers... but... Star Fox Zero Is the Reinvention of the Shooting Games... With a Gamepad would can battle alongside the legendary WASD and Mouse of the PC... Sadly... the people Will not appreciate that, because Is not a Call Of Duty, Is not a HALO, Is Not a Metroid... IS a Star Fox...

I Hope than You can play that game… and… just for a While, forgot the Gamepad than the Ordinary Shooting Games Forces to you for a Years… That’s not impossible… and… if you do… you can enjoy star fox zero… even more than the legendary Star fox 64…
  81. Mar 16, 2017
    This game is a lot of fun. First of all, having the same voice actors as in Star Fox 64 is awesome. It looks and plays great and it's a welcome addition to the Star Fox franchise. However it is not without its flaws. The motion controls should not be mandatory, though once you get used to it it isn't as much as a hindrance as at the beginning. I did not like how the Walker was pushed asThis game is a lot of fun. First of all, having the same voice actors as in Star Fox 64 is awesome. It looks and plays great and it's a welcome addition to the Star Fox franchise. However it is not without its flaws. The motion controls should not be mandatory, though once you get used to it it isn't as much as a hindrance as at the beginning. I did not like how the Walker was pushed as much as it was, especially for the battle with Andross. Also the story was nothing new and was basically a remake of the 64 game. I wouldn't call any of these issues a deal breaker however and I would highly recommend to fans. Expand
  82. Apr 3, 2017
    Es una joya rara, diferente, rompe el molde, como lo quieran decir, ahora dirán que es muy regular y cosas así, pero es increíble que nintendo saque esta joya, saca todo el potencial al gamepad, difícil de controlar pero porque no hay otro juego como este y no tenemos referencias de como jugarlo, hay que aprender a jugar este juego para gozarlo al máximo, yo le di la oportunidad, y es unaEs una joya rara, diferente, rompe el molde, como lo quieran decir, ahora dirán que es muy regular y cosas así, pero es increíble que nintendo saque esta joya, saca todo el potencial al gamepad, difícil de controlar pero porque no hay otro juego como este y no tenemos referencias de como jugarlo, hay que aprender a jugar este juego para gozarlo al máximo, yo le di la oportunidad, y es una maravilla Expand
  83. Apr 23, 2016
    Great game all I have to say, a big BOOYAH to SFZ!

Yes, the controls are a bit different at first. But, thats what I love and trust about Miyamoto, who is a game innovator who takes risks, with unique control schemes on the highly rated Skyward Sword, Pikmin 3. What he does with SFZ is takes a chance, to make the game more innovative and challenging to the typical "Yawn Fest" twin
    Great game all I have to say, a big BOOYAH to SFZ!

What he does with SFZ is takes a chance, to make the game more innovative and challenging to the typical "Yawn Fest" twin stick shooting scheme, where he has the balls to be different, and, in the end, take a chance and scores big.

Once you "get" the controls, you will smile at the pure genius of it. Then realize, the strong hate and prejudice by"gaming journalists" from Forbes and Polygon, who are being whiney because they didnt get their way with hand-held twin stick controls they find easy to play. Shame shame shame on media like that not even giving the game a chance.

SFZ is a wonderful gaming experience that I am having so much damn fun with. Easily worth the price, especially when it's packed with Star Fox Guard that has at least a $20 value to it (gaming wise)
  84. Apr 22, 2016
    The motion controls are getting too much press. Tap them off and you're fine. After that it's a lot of fun, a very straightforward StarFox game - whether you like it or not. Some new stealth aspects included. Co-op I'm not crazy about, it's like if you had one person a driver and one handling items in Mario Kart - it's just too hard splitting one brain between two players in a gameThe motion controls are getting too much press. Tap them off and you're fine. After that it's a lot of fun, a very straightforward StarFox game - whether you like it or not. Some new stealth aspects included. Co-op I'm not crazy about, it's like if you had one person a driver and one handling items in Mario Kart - it's just too hard splitting one brain between two players in a game demanding these reflexes. Music is great and theatrics are cool, presentation solid. The only real problem here are those motion controls. Expand
  85. Apr 23, 2016
    pro---great boss fights
    graphic at certain area (space) is acceptable

con---stupid controls
    gets repetitive
    frame rate drop
    that **** stealth section

and please try to do some lip syncing.
  86. Apr 23, 2016
    The motion controls are nowhere near as bad as all these critic reviews have made it out to be (I actually like them, they're in the same tier as Splatoon and that's a good thing honestly. The motion controls allow you to do some nice precision aiming that you could never achieve purely with an analog stick, and also allow you the option of continuing to shoot down enemies while a cutsceneThe motion controls are nowhere near as bad as all these critic reviews have made it out to be (I actually like them, they're in the same tier as Splatoon and that's a good thing honestly. The motion controls allow you to do some nice precision aiming that you could never achieve purely with an analog stick, and also allow you the option of continuing to shoot down enemies while a cutscene plays, which is a nice little bonus). Though I did turn the option on for them to only kick in when firing. The only real complaint I have are the frame drops during some more intense moments, but it's not a dealbreaker to me especially given how badly previous instalments in the series have run to date. I'll take 60fps with the occasional drop to 50 or even 40 over sub-30fps, thanks. Though it would be good if we had an option to disable the second screen to keep framerates at a constant 60fps, one can only hope a future patch does something about this.

The game is much longer than previous instalments (around twice as long, a single playthrough will take 3-6 hours depending on how many levels you complete, and there's plenty of replayabilty with the medals and unlocks (Replayability has always been the main draw of Starfox, you're not supposed to just breeze through the game once and think you're done with it) and that's not even taking Expert mode into account.

As for the reviews I'm seeing.. I'm really starting to wonder if half of these reviewers have actually played the game, to be honest. Did they all get monkeys to play the game and then review it based entirely off watching the monkey play? I mean it really doesn't take long to adjust to the controls, yet that's the main excuse all these sites are giving to justify their laughably low scores.

Oh and don't even get me STARTED on the non-review from Polygon.

So yeah, thumbs up from me. Starwing and Lylat Wars were a big part of my childhood and this game hasn't trampled all over those memories for once, so that's nice. I was hesitant to spend money on another Nintendo game after how badly Xenoblade Chronicles X turned out thanks to NoA Treehouse, but in this case I think it's money well spent.
  87. Apr 23, 2016
    Let me start by saying, it feels so good to play a game that loads quickly. Just a complete breath of fresh air after the 1+ minute load times of DarkSouls3, Battlefront, and pretty much any other XBO/PS4 game I've come across (PC peeps dont have this problem :p).

On to the meat and potatoes. This is a really great re-imagining of the StarFox story while keeping the arcade feel of the previous entries. I'm at a point where I've familiarized myself with motion controls enough to get the hang of this game by mission1, but it isnt crazy to think others wont like the kool-aid and that's fine....just dont decry motion controls while jumping on the VR bandwagon, it's confusing and nonsensical.

This is a game for folks who like replaying missions to get better scores, finding hidden objects, and hidden pathways to new levels. It's a blast, and instead of writing some over-detailed review I'm going to barrel roll out of here and get back to the game. Peace!
  88. Apr 29, 2016
    For the most part, this game resembles the classic masterpiece Starfox 64. I often found myself challenged by the game's fare difficulty. It is a love letter to the fans and is consistantly good throughout. That is until you make it to the last battle. It is almost identicle to SF 64's end but with one major flaw that is so unforgiving, I had no choice but to lower the score.

First off,

First off, it is not all that difficult. The problem is that it is broken. Sp mode forces you to juggle between 2 screens while needing to keep a close eye on both. This part may be resolved in co-op play, but the main issue is that there is an illusion wall that you must fly through everytime to get to the boss. Once inside, it is easy to shoot the boss's hands to inflict damage. After, you need to escape intime to avoid getting killed. The camera in both 3rd and first person view will always need to be re-adjusted during these moments. They will always likely lead to a disorientated wall crash or damage. Worse is when the boss changes to phase 2 of 3 and you need to get dropped in a hole as a walker, then change to a ship, then change to third or first person perspective to win. It's like a swinging camera nosia induced feel that I havn't seen done so horribly bad since Bubsy 3D on PS1. It is the most broken thing to come from Nintendo since the Ocean King's triforce wall drawing from Phantom Hr glass or the flute playing from Spirit Tracks.
  89. Apr 23, 2016
    You people complaining about the controls. I expected the controls to be horrible, and gamebreaking. They arent bad at all. Spend 5 minutes to learn the buttons, ots that easy.
  90. Apr 29, 2016
    Star Fox Zero is an excellent addition to the Wii U's library, a worthy successor to Star Fox 64, and a fantastic addition to the Star Fox series. The controls, audio, and visuals breathe new life into a series presumed dead, and it does it in spades.

The game itself is beautiful. Landscapes are vast and colorful, planets are gorgeous, and the Arwing is sharper than ever. The soundtrack is amazing and energetic, and each theme matches the intensity of its respective scenario. Paired with the fact that communications from your wing-men, crew, and enemies are received directly to your Gamepad's speakers, the game keeps you hooked and created a very surreal sense of immersion that's hard to find in games nowadays.

I'm not sure why anyone who's played Star Fox 64 would have any trouble with Star Fox Zero's control scheme, as the levels of difficulty for both are pretty much on par with each other. I was actually more comfortable with Star Fox Zero's control scheme than I was with Star Fox 64's. Because your laser cannons are controlled independently from your vehicle, you can move in one direction while firing in another, allowing for some fancy attack maneuvers. While it's true that this calls for a decent amount of coordination, you can actually gain much more precision if you take the very little time it requires to properly hone your skills. And switching your focus from the TV's third-person view to the Gamepad's cockpit view is no more difficult than switching your focus between the DS's two screens. Most of the time, you don't even have to switch your focus from TV to Gamepad to fire at lesser enemies, as the reticle on the TV acts similarly to the ones in previous Star Fox games; you just use the Gamepad's gyro sensor to move it instead of the analog stick, a la Splatoon. The cockpit view is only used for precision aiming, which is useful for larger enemies and bosses' weak points. Using target view to lock on to your objective gives you a good idea of where you are in relation to everything else, and it helps you to properly reposition yourself, particularly in dogfights. Switching back and forth between the Arwing's Walker mode is extremely satisfying as well.

There are so many things I genuinely love about this game, and only a few things that I dislike. One con in particular that comes to mind is a problem with positioning in relation to larger enemies. If you get caught in a position where you're in a large enemy's path, instead of knocking you out of the path or giving you a small amount of invincibility to recover, you just get pushed and get hit multiple times. This can cause you to take a significant chunk of damage in a very small amount of time. While this hasn't happened to me that often, it does happen consistently with certain enemies, and it's the only thing in the game that truly feels unfair. However, it's not nearly enough to make the game as a whole seem even remotely unfair.

The game has an enticing amount of challenge to it, enough to make me want to play through multiple times, discover all the secrets and collect all of the medals. There's a lot of replay value and a good amount of fun to be had with a friend in the optional co-op mode, which lets the Gamepad player fire the laser cannon and the controller player pilot the vehicle. All in all, Star Fox Zero is a fantastic experience for veterans and skilled video game players. Absolutely pick this game up if you crave a fresh space-action title that can push you to your limits.
  91. May 1, 2016
    I beat the and STILL didn't feel like I master the controls! If you want a game you can just pick up and play and not have to play hours of the game to understand the controls then this game is not for you.
  92. Apr 22, 2016
    star fox zero é um bom game para wii u, a jogabilidade e a falta de inovação deixam um pouco a desejar, porem é muito divertido com fases incríveis e lutas contra bosses muito boas e dublagem espetacular.
  93. Apr 22, 2016
    El juego es excelente, el gameplay es muy divertido a pesar de que para dominarle debes jugar mas de una vez por al principio puede ser un poco complicado de manejar, las gráficas en realidad son atractivas pero se siente un poco fuera de época, como si las gráficas fueran mas de la 6 gen, no me refiero a que están malas sino a el estilo gráfico, la historia en realidad no puedo decirEl juego es excelente, el gameplay es muy divertido a pesar de que para dominarle debes jugar mas de una vez por al principio puede ser un poco complicado de manejar, las gráficas en realidad son atractivas pero se siente un poco fuera de época, como si las gráficas fueran mas de la 6 gen, no me refiero a que están malas sino a el estilo gráfico, la historia en realidad no puedo decir mucho porque aun no lo e terminado y apenas lo que jugado por 2 horas pero debo decir que es un muy buen juego con algunos fallos, y me hubiera gustado algo mas fresco en cuanto los personajes, no es necesario quitar a los personajes solo me hubiera gustado ver algunos personajes frescos, el multijugador entretiene y hasta donde se el juego duro entre 10 y 12 horas así que el multijugador compensa en poco tiempo de juego. Expand
  94. Apr 24, 2016
    I love this game, and I don't really have that much difficulty with the controls. It might seem weird at first, but once you keep playing the game, the motion controls become pretty natural. If you love Starfox 64, then you are absolutely going to love this game. I know I did, and I still have to go down all the alternate paths and find secrets hidden throughout the levels.
  95. May 1, 2016
    A mediocre game at best, this title is further marred by its clunky controls and insufferable camera. Even without these MAJOR issues there simply is not enough content to warrant its price. Definitely not worth $60, not worth your time. Stop lying to yourself and demand more from your games.
  96. May 20, 2016
    Take Star fox 64 and times it by zero and you would have this steaming pile of fox excrement. Don't be fooled by the pretty graphics and reviews, this game is pure garbage and may very well kill the Star Fox franchise as well as being death knell for both Nintendo and Platinum studios.
  97. Apr 22, 2016
    The gameplay is very good, but it requires a decent amount of practice to get comfortable at it. I would associate it to driving a car. You need to pay attention to one screen like watching the road, and keep an eye on the other screen like checking your mirrors and gauges. How long does it take for someone to truly learn to drive a car? The game offers a training mode before you evenThe gameplay is very good, but it requires a decent amount of practice to get comfortable at it. I would associate it to driving a car. You need to pay attention to one screen like watching the road, and keep an eye on the other screen like checking your mirrors and gauges. How long does it take for someone to truly learn to drive a car? The game offers a training mode before you even begin the story, and you are able to replay missions when ever you want; so there is plenty of practice available.
    The graphics are good, and are inspired by the previous entries that had the more polygonal figures. The game will throw you into some high paced missions, and some slower ones to vary the gameplay well. There are secrets abound with a level of exploration there, and being a true collector will be a challenge.
    The game length is considered short by many, but it isn't much long than Star Fox 64. It is a game that will give a great experience if you want to sit and power through it. However I feel it the replay value is also there for people who want to just sit down and play for an hour or two when they have time.
    The co-op is extremely useful for anyone learning to play, and is great for those trying to share the experience with someone else. My experience with co-op was with a young family member. I piloted around to keep us alive, and he shot everything he wanted (had to tell him to not shoot the team members). He had a blast (pun intended).
    The age today is filled with people who will 'multitask' between phones, computers, television, games, and everything else in life. Star Fox Zero will put that multitasking ability to the test for anyone that can master the controls. However I get a strong feeling that Star Fox Zero fall in the same category as The Wonderful 101, another Platinum game. A well made game were the controls scared people away.
  98. Apr 23, 2016
    A very solid game with intense arcade style gameplay. There is a learning curve with the motion controls, but when you learn them you'll be much more fast and accurate compared to using the control stick to aim. Fans of splatoon, or the Wii U Zelda titles will feel right at home here. Campaign is short (about 6-7 hours) but this is alleviated by the large amount of replayability, andA very solid game with intense arcade style gameplay. There is a learning curve with the motion controls, but when you learn them you'll be much more fast and accurate compared to using the control stick to aim. Fans of splatoon, or the Wii U Zelda titles will feel right at home here. Campaign is short (about 6-7 hours) but this is alleviated by the large amount of replayability, and varied stage design. The OST is fantastic as well. You'll feel so immersed when playing this game, that you'll completely lose track of everything else! The game is also great for people who just want to "pick up and play". This game is definitely a great addition to any library, and whether you're a long time fan, or a new recruit you're in for a blast! Expand
  99. May 24, 2016
    You inevitably feel a scintillating rush once you get good at the controls and fly around the map. But that's the thing. The controls.

The game itself is very well done. Visually it hearkens back to the iconic aesthetic set out by the initial games but with just enough of an upgrade to make it feel fresh and new. The story is classic Star Fox fare but with a few twists and turns as should be expected of a modern story and the voice acting is perfect for the game. The corny one-liners are there but they're delivered in such a way as to feel believable and enjoyable. Music is also wonderfully done. When the music swells when you're about to enter a dogfight with Star Wolf, you feel it.

But the controls. Yes, this is the biggest sticking point for a lot of people. Some even go so far as to suggest that the controls ruin it.

I disagree.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Previous Star Fox games had the game revolving around a balancing act of choosing two options. either you're flying or you're shooting. You rarely do both and only the most skilled players could. The motion controls and dual screens actually lower the bar so that even newbies to the series can shoot, fly, dodge and weave like the pros without having to rely on a delicate balance of shoot vs fly.

Yes, you need to practice to get good at this. This is especially true since this kind of control scheme is rare and most players are simply not used to this kind of approach. Star Fox Zero breaks the mould in this sense and while it can be very, VERY intimidating at first, after a while and with some solid practice, you eventually come to a point where the controls in this game are actually better than previous incarnations because it gives you a lot more freedom to do more which makes this game feel like a true spaceship flying, enemy blasting, dodging, weaving, shooting game.

Will this game be for everyone? Most certainly not. And that's okay.

Will this game feel "off" for some hardened Star Fox players? Sure.

But if you want a game that gives you a challenge and will make you feel heroic once you get good at it, this game is it.

Now, as for the content itself, the change in the map is something to keep in mind. Previous games had the map be more like a progress indicator. This one gives you the option of going back and re-playing stages without having to start a new run through it all. This put me off at first but after getting about half-way through my first play through, it made sense. Having this freedom of choice is a distinct improvement and helps encourage playing through individual levels so as to practice and improve your skills as well as the satisfaction of just playing casually.

There are some down-points, however. Mainly the last battle. No spoilers but it does force you to juggle between the walker and the arwing. It works, but you will probably get the feeling that the developers were either given their marching orders to make the walker "a thing" or that they were in love with it maybe a bit too much. That's one reason why I cannot give it a perfect score.

But to be honest, the controls are actually improved and this is reflected in the fact that isn't a game for casuals who expect to have the game spoon fed to them without earning it. If you want to beat the game, you have to, as they say, "Git gud." And that's refreshing to see nowadays. It is actually one of the ways this game captures the essence of classic video gaming.

So, to sum this all up. If you want a game that will give you a challenge and shows you what can really be done with a gyro control system on top of the usual game-pad inputs, this game does it well. Some bruises but otherwise a solid game and definitely adds to the genre and takes it in a refreshingly new direction with a classic game-play experience you won't soon forget.

Hat's off to Nintendo and Platinum. This one is a keeper!
  100. Apr 25, 2016
    StarFox is back ! Although StarFox Zero is "only" a retelling with updated graphics, it is a really immersive experience. The controls take some time to become intuitive, but that fact shouldnt distract from the action fiesta that StarFox is. The multiple branches, the great coop which feels like Han and Chewie flying the Falcon through an armada of Tie Fighters, and the overall feeling ofStarFox is back ! Although StarFox Zero is "only" a retelling with updated graphics, it is a really immersive experience. The controls take some time to become intuitive, but that fact shouldnt distract from the action fiesta that StarFox is. The multiple branches, the great coop which feels like Han and Chewie flying the Falcon through an armada of Tie Fighters, and the overall feeling of beeing a top ace space fighter pilot make this a fun experience for those who havent become cynical about games in general. Its old fashioned, but I couldnt stop grinning all the time, because its so much fun, especially with a friend. Expand

1. Dec 1, 2016
    Star Fox Zero is a wonderful re-imagining of one of the most beloved games in the series, blending elements from its early history in a tasteful manner. The meatier story mode leaves you with a better sense of fulfillment over its predecessors, and while there isn’t an online leaderboard to compare best times or scores, there are other extras to keep you playing. Adapting to the new controls might take more patience than some players are willing to give, but those who stick it out are rewarded with a higher-degree of precision than previously possible. It’s by no means perfect, but it’s safe to say Miyamoto’s latest experiment is a success.
  2. Aug 22, 2016
    A rather halfhearted remake of a true classic, with less focus on the story of epic teamwork than one would have expected. A frustrating release for the fans, but nonetheless a fine addition to the Wii U roster.
  3. Jun 13, 2016
    If you can handle the gyroscope, you’re in for a quality thrill ride through the Lylat System, difficult but rewarding.