6.7

1. Sep 6, 2010
    Unwanted cutscenes, linearity, infantile dialogue, and finishing moves: just what the hallowed, (heretofore) unique, and highly successful Metroid franchise needed. If Team Ninja is hired on for another installment, I'm sure they'll also find a way to include an annoying pixie that follows you around and interrupts you every 2 or 3 minutes. Thankfully I can just forget this thing was everUnwanted cutscenes, linearity, infantile dialogue, and finishing moves: just what the hallowed, (heretofore) unique, and highly successful Metroid franchise needed. If Team Ninja is hired on for another installment, I'm sure they'll also find a way to include an annoying pixie that follows you around and interrupts you every 2 or 3 minutes. Thankfully I can just forget this thing was ever made and replay the other games of the series, which are all better than this by a longshot. Expand
  2. Sep 2, 2010
    I like the third person element of the game and it works pretty well for the series, but the game has some fatal flaws. These flaws easily make this the worst of the Metroid series... but to be fair I've really enjoyed all of the games. Your hand is held for most of the game, except during the times when it's needed. The typical boss fight requires that you fail until you figure out theI like the third person element of the game and it works pretty well for the series, but the game has some fatal flaws. These flaws easily make this the worst of the Metroid series... but to be fair I've really enjoyed all of the games. Your hand is held for most of the game, except during the times when it's needed. The typical boss fight requires that you fail until you figure out the proper approach, and then it's just a tedious fight. Probably the most annoying feature is the first person element. Frequently you switch to first person to shoot something, or worse, you go to first person so you can scan an area for some little clue. Since you don't have any choice they might as well do it for you. Same goes for the parts of the game where you are forced to walk: Why not just automate things?

Well, now for some of the good parts... I actually find the story to be decent and I don't mind having to wait for equipment to be "authorized" for use. I mean, it makes more sense than some of the other games where you lose your powers because of some event. Sometimes though, this aspect can be annoying, but it's primarily a flaw in level design rather than the overall game design. Frequently you follow the arrow to your destination to find that you don't have what you need, so you backtrack and then you get the authorization... and of course your make your way back to that same spot to use your new tools.
    On the topic of story... Samus is given personality and it's different from the whole "lone wolf" that we've been led to believe. They've attempted to give Samus this sort of "motherly" personality. Which isn't so bad I guess, but it feels so different.

TLDR: The mechanics are all there, but the game just has some design flaws. I hope that Team Ninja continues to do Metroid games, but I hope they rethink some things.
  3. Fix
    Sep 1, 2010
    First, let me start off by saying that Metroid is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I own every one of them except for "M.P. Hunters" and "M.P. Pinball" on the DS and I have high standards when new ones come out. I took 3 days of military leave when the first "Metroid Prime" was released on Gamecube. I own a Wii strictly for Metroid, Mario, and Zelda. I am also a big fan ofFirst, let me start off by saying that Metroid is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I own every one of them except for "M.P. Hunters" and "M.P. Pinball" on the DS and I have high standards when new ones come out. I took 3 days of military leave when the first "Metroid Prime" was released on Gamecube. I own a Wii strictly for Metroid, Mario, and Zelda. I am also a big fan of Team Ninja's "Dead or Alive" franchise (minus DOAX.) I had minor issues with the difficulty of the most recent Ninja Gaiden games, which I consider to be some of the hardest newer games out there; so hard that it was almost comical at times. Overall they were still decent games.
    I'm just going to admit right now. My main problem with "Other M" is something that Team Ninja has nothing to do with. It's the Nintendo Wii controls. I could go on and on about how I despise the whole idea of the Wii controller, but that's not what this review is about. I still continue to deal with it in games like Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and Mario Galaxy, but this time it's just too much. To keep it short, I absolutely hate everything about Nintendo's motion, kinetic, aim-at-the-screen concept. If you do too, don't even bother buying this. Every time you need to go into FPS mode by aiming the controller at the screen (which you will during every boss fight), you're stuck. You can't move, you can't dodge anything, and you have to figure out where exactly your cursor is on the screen. It's usually off the screen so that's even more time you're stuck aiming and not moving. Then you have to hold the cursor over a target circle for a second or two until you lock-on in order to even use your missiles. If you don't lock on, it just shoots your normal beam instead of a missile. This appears to be the biggest challenge of the game; aiming and getting a missile off before you get hit with the next attack. For something so gimmicky and clumsy to be the ultimate objective in every boss fight is just unacceptable.
    I'm sure you've already read this in other reviews, but it's so ridiculous it needs to be mentioned. You possess all of your abilites throughout the entire game, but you can't use them until some guy authorizes it. It's no longer a physical item that you are searching for. It's really just a bunch of invisbile checkpoints. Just a couple examples... 1. You're trapped in a room full of enemies with sealed doors. You've died maybe 2 or 3 times in this room trying to figure out how you're supposed to defeat these enemies because your weapon takes literally 15-20 fully charged beams to kill them. After a while you just get swarmed because more and more keep spawning. Then at some random point in time, you get a call on your radio saying "Samus, your beam isn't powerful enough to kill these. You're now authorized to use your Ice Beam." 2. You are running through room after room taking heat damage. If you've played Metroid in the past, this usually means you're somewhere you shouldn't be yet. I decided to just go with it because this whole game seems fairly linear. I just dealt with it off and on for a good half hour, maybe longer. The only reason I kept going is because the enemies were fairly easy to kill which is a good sign you're not in an area beyond your capabilities. Finally at some random point this guy authorizes you to use your Varia Suit. The difficulty of this game seems a little over the top. It can get very frustrating at times. Itâ
  4. Jan 4, 2014
    I was as excited as any other Metroid fan for Other M. The reveal was exciting and I preordered the game as soon as it became available.

Then... I played it. Long story short, play it for the gameplay. Do NOT play it for the story. That part is awful. More details below. STORY Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to

Then... I played it.

STORY
    Let me start by saying I had no issue with the idea of Samus speaking. I also was extremely excited to get to know the woman behind the visor and see a bit more of her emotional side.
    That out of the way, the story is the main reason why I don't like Other M. To avoid spoilers I won't go into details about the exact parts of the story are so bad, but if you want to read, what is in my opinion, the greatest review of Other M's story on the net, then visit:
    The article explains why the story is written poorly by giving examples of the tropes and story no-nos used and explains how the infamous Ridley scene is damaging to Samus' character in ways you may not have thought of.
    From what I've seen, most people who are fans of the series and enjoy this game's story are defending it because they believe an attack on this game is an attack on the franchise. If this is you, please read the link I posted above.

GAMEPLAY
    As far as gameplay goes, the third person isn't terrible. The dodge jump move was visually powerful and a nice change to just running around, but it definitely took challenge away from the adventure once you mastered it. The first person sequences were bad. Having to flip between 3rd and 1st person was disorienting and left me scrambling to fire a missile where it needed to go. The search-and-find sequences were particularly awful. They were unnecessary and had you looking for some obscure object in the environment.

LEVEL DESIGN
    A bit linear compared to the other games in the series, but it's something I was able to take as is.

MUSIC
    Awful. Uninteresting, unmemorable... Not what I expect out of a Metroid game given that every other title in the series has fan favorites that they enjoy listening to and possibly remixing. There will be no fan remixes of this game.

GRAPHICS
    Very good. The cutscenes were gorgeous and the in-game engine was visually pretty.
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    First off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With theFirst off let me tell you that I am a HUGE HUGE Metroid fan. The metroid franchise means so much to in every way and I have never even come close to love another franchise more. With that said this is possibly the worst metroid game ever created. For all of you who are avid metroid fans this is a mockery of all the games you have previously had the pleasure of playing. With the introduction of the first person 3D adventure style introduced in metroid prime a lot of fans were enthralled and amazed by the progression of the series from side scrolling to first person. Many after ,metroid prime 3 was finished, wanted a new metroid that goes back to the old formula which, after super metroid and metroid fusion, was a formula that was both perfect and timeless. When I saw this game i was a bit let down because it took what i had become familiar with in prime and what i loved about super metroid and changed the formula. A year after release i got this game and i did not finish it till today. Whats my opinion? THIS IS ON E OF THE WORST GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED. The story is so cliche and filled with influences of Japanese mediums. It's gameplay is clunky and wholly inaccurate and insufferable. The animation, while not exactly bad, wasn't the hardcore realistic or menacing style of super metroid, fusion, or prime (half the time I laughed at the stupid faces these creatures made) The games story however was the worst part. Yoshio Sakamoto has been with metroid from the beginning seeing as he is the creator of the game. Sakamoto knows what we liked and what we loved of the previous entries in the world of metroid and instead of giving us a mysterious, strong willed samus, with a badass ethos he gave us a butchery of Italian horror films, with Japanese anime emotion, and a horrific gameplay experience. This review i am writing is so horribly put together but bare with me because i just finished this game and want to cry. It is the worst game ever, it isn't even bad to somebody who isn't a huge fan, but to me a fan who once a month beats his metroid games over and over because he loves them that much, this was just horrible. I hope this man knows what he has done. I hope he knows that he butchered a franchise that never got a score lower then 80 for there games and created a game that deserved a 30. I hope when retro works on the next iteration that he is nowhere to be found except in the credits for a thank you A thank you for staying the away from the game. Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is abysmal. Literally the worst story of any video game I've ever played, almost no music, and absolutely horrid gameplay all combine to make a giant turd of a game. Avoid avoid avoid. Horrible.
  7. Feb 3, 2014
    The worst Nintendo game I have ever purchased. This is an absolute stain on the Metroid franchise. In fact, I'd rather Nintendo just retire Samus than try again if THIS abomination is their idea of a Metroid game.

There is no sense of exploration, no sense of being alone versus the environment, no satisfaction of finding upgrades. All that remains is bad cutscenes that make Samus out to be an emotional teenager.
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    This game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The sameThis game falls flat on its face in every aspect: The gameplay is shallow, boring and repetitive. The story completely degrades Samus as a character, contradicts previous games, just DROPS certain plotlines before they're even finished, and for the most part, it's just a rehash of Metroid fusion. The art style is weird and shiny, and does not fit the eerie atmosphere of Metroid. The same goes for the music, which just consists of cheesy action movie scores and some remixes. ALL the bosses and enemies are recycled, which may wet the pants of some fanboys, but I really couldn't appreciate the lack of creativity. Luckily, according to Nintendo, the next 3D Metroid will be Prime style, so that's a huge bloody relief. I REALLY don't get how ANYONE can like this game, ESPECIALLY not the fans of Super Metroid, since this game takes away any and all exploration in favour of cheesy finishers and constant flashes of Samus' bum. This is not just a bad Metroid game, it's a bad game overall, and I would recommend this game to absolutely nobody. Also, check out TheGamingBrit's review of this game, because he does a way better job at dissecting this pile of feces than I do. Expand
  9. Feb 10, 2015
    Turning the main character from a bounty hunter badass to whatever that was deserves a 0/10 worst metroid game so far.

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing. Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this

Seems I have to make this 500 characters long...... sure thing.

Don't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this gameDon't Support this game
  10. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I get into the enormous can of worms that is this game's issues, let me talk about the positive aspects. The graphics generally look nice, a lot better than most Wii titles, and the action is suitably bombastic when intended. The finisher moves you get are satisfying as well as very cool and flashy.

Unfortunately, that's all I can say in this game's favor. While it is true that when the action is happening it's generally fun to watch, it's not very fun to play thanks to a frightening lack of variety in terms of both enemies and what Samus herself is able to do, and the fact that you have a dodge-roll technique called the "Sensemove" which utterly breaks the combat. It gives you a ludicrous amount of invincibility frames, nothing works against it, and if you're charging your beam while you do it it completely fills the charge. Beyond that, lulls in the action, rather than serving pacing like they would in a game such as Devil May Cry or Half-Life, instead just feel boring. Often they simply have you running from place to place, and when they don't feel that's putting you to sleep enough they go to an over-the-shoulder view and make you walk slowly with incredibly unintuitive controls. Even less intuitive than the rest of the game, which is pretty unintuitive, as the rest of the game asks you to navigate three dimensional environments at high speeds with a d-pad, relying on finnicky auto-aim to in order to hit enemies. The over-the-shoulder segments aren't even the worst flow-killer though. At times the game forces you into first-person mode and makes you look for a piece of scenery to scan in order to advance the plot. This was a good idea when Arkham Asylum did it because Batman is after all the world's greatest detective, and because that game handled it well, making it clear what you're looking for and still allowing you to move around the area. In Other M you are forced to remain still, searching for what is often a small innocuous-looking piece of scenery at best. Worse examples include scanning for the exit in the chamber where you fight Ridley, which is such a dark area when you're scanning it that you can barely see the exit, and finding Madeline standing in a window, so far away and with so much glare coming off said window that I, an avid gamer with 20/20 vision, was simply not able to see her. I went back and played the segment again, knowing where she was, and still couldn't to see her. Coming back to Ridley, this is kind of a sticking point: Samus should not have freaked out when she saw Ridley. I'm not saying they've tainted her badass persona or anything, and had it been handled differently I would have loved it. But there's no excuse for her to panic upon seeing the enemy that she has been established to have defeated around six times by this point according to series canon (yes, the adjusted canon that came with dropping the Prime games.) Beyond that, the way they brought Ridley in just didn't help the story at all. Apparently the Federation cloned him, as well as most of the other monsters in the game, despite the fact that they've watched the Space Pirates royally screw themselves by doing that many times in the past. Of course, the reason for this is that Nintendo and Team Ninja wanted to cram as many references to older games in as possible, hence the inclusion of the Metroid Queen, Nightmare, Phantoom, et cetera. It feels very much like fan pandering, as if the game is afraid to have its own identity and instead wants to cash in on nostalgia, which makes its decision to completely kick Metroidvania-style exploration in the head even stranger, and that was already a baffling choice considering that the Metroid series contributed the first half of the genre's name. Of course, you do still gain abilities over time, you just don't explore and look for them. Instead you have most of them from the start, but you're not allowed to use them until Adam Malkovich allows you to, in the poorest excuse for ability loss this series has ever had, which is saying something considering that even some of the best games in the series have had pretty weak excuses. This leads to a downright painful situation in which you move through the lava world, which does continuous damage due to the hot atmosphere, without protection because Malkovich didn't authorize it. Speaking of Malkovich, his death was incredibly flimsy. He locks himself in a section of the ship and jettisons it, blowing it up, because apparently nobody thought maybe you should make the function accessible from another part of the ship. There's also a baffling moment when you need to use power bombs to kill the Metroid Queen, but the game never says or even implies that you can use them. The final boss, right afterward, is even worse, as you don't even get to fight it. Instead you just lock onto it, and a cutscene activates. Tres anticlimactic. Overall the game was lazy and sloppy, and not worth playing. It's a disgrace to the series.
  11. Aug 1, 2013
    Combat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, becauseCombat is shallow, "cinematic" scenes of just holding forward on the control stick kill the pacing, controls are awkward thanks to the exclusion of the nunchuck, level design is linear, the cutscenes are unskippable first playthrough, dialogue is painfully bad... I'm really not sure what there is to like about this game. I suppose you might like it if you don't enjoy Metroid games, because it's a terrible Metroid game, and I supposed you might like it if you don't enjoy action games, because it's a terrible action game.

I'm just disappointed a game like this came from the director who brought us Super Metroid. Super Metroid was fantastic because it didn't boss you around or hold your hand or shove fifteen minute long cutscenes in your face. You just had a big world and were free to explore it to find fun new powerups and boss fights. Where did that same sense of discovery go? There aren't any new interesting power-ups or bosses in Other M; it's just content to reuse series staples as if that gives it more nerd cred or something. It's not like there is much exploration either; level design is linear and many times doors will lock behind you to stop you from backtracking with new power-ups.

Even without comparing it to other Metroid games, Other M still fails. Its combat is laughably shallow. In 3rd person view, you just charge and shoot. Aiming is automatic. Whenever you see an attack, you mash the D-pad so Samus can do her invincible dodge move. It doesn't matter which direction you dodge, you're invincible for the whole animation. Sometimes, the game will have you move to first-person to shoot powerful missiles, but the controls are clunky and you're unable to move, making first-person aiming a chore. Then there are the quick-time events. It seems like every awful action game these days has them, and Other M's are pretty bad. They're incredibly showy execution scenes, but they make the player feel inadequate. It's not the player doing these actions; all the player is doing is pressing the D-pad once. There is about as much connection between the player's controls and the actions on screen as there are watching a Transformers movie. About the only neat thing in combat is the overblast, an attack you can use on some enemies by jumping on them with a charged shot. It feels much more natural and I'd like to see it return in future Metroid games.

So many games this past generation have lost their expansive worlds, forcing you down hallways from cinematic set piece to cut scene to cinematic set piece. They have lost their interesting and unique gameplay, becoming a homogenous mass of quick-time events and auto-aim. They feel more like amusement park rides than games; you're not there to play, you're there to watch. Other M is not some ambitious, misunderstood work of fiction; it's just another stupid modern game with all of the worst things about stupid modern games.

If you want a fun action game, go play Devil May Cry 3 or the Xbox Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta or virtually anything else. If you want a fun Metroid game, go play Metroid Prime or Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission. Just skip Other M. It doesn't deserve your time.
  12. Jun 14, 2011
    Can a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seemsCan a game possibly have a story so terrible it gets its ass kicked from Canon? I think this one has achieved that feat. With destroying the core concepts of a strong, powerful female character, full on stealing its plot almost piece by piece from Fusion, and having Samus in general do retarded thing... OH did I forget plot lines that just get randomly dropped and random whining that seems out of place EVEN for this freaking game as well? Holy **** the story is terrible. Gameplay is... marginally better. The swapping back and forth leaves you pathetically pew pewing with your beam most of the game until you stun something or have to go all missile face; making gameplay boring... in addition to making the standard enemies feel like boss battles on themselves. WHEN I GET THE SCREW ATTACK **** DIES. END OF STORY. Not... you gotat Screw attack them, then serve them tea to expose their weak spot which you hit with a dash of beam and then a missile before getting eaten and using a power bomb. Which with how much build up they have around the power bomb, is a pretty lack luster attack outside of when you're supposed to use it. The clue searching was... stupid. Just... stupid. I like how they tried to revive the 2d style with a 3d world... but I think they could've done it a lot better with a NUN-CHUCK. Holy **** I move with the Nun-chuck and point the curser at the screen to aim. I'm a genius. A **** Genius greater than that at Team Ninja. I'm glad for rentals though. Let me play this ****ty ass game without super frustration. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2011
    This game butchered Samus Aran.

It's too easy, has a riculous upgrade system, unlikable characters and spits on the otherwise amazing Metroid series.

After Metroid Prime, it's inconcievable this could even be alowed to exist.

If you have never played a Metroid game, you may find something enjoyable in the gameplay, but otherewise, stay well clear.
  14. Aug 12, 2012
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far. the gameplay doesn't work. it feels good untill you realise the entire combat system is just twiddling the dpad and pressing a because the auto aim is so strong. and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at
    Controls are bad,

the story is awfull, completly butchers everything about the series so far.

and don't get me started on the stupid first person bits, especially the ones where you're routed in place and need to look at a damn flower for 20 min to progress.
  15. Oct 13, 2010
    the actual Metroid bits of this game work very well, but combined with the horrible plot, flow-breaking first-person elements, and abandonment of the classic Metroid exploration experience leaves this a game a dirty stain on an otherwise relatively untarnished series. I blame Team Ninja, the biggest hacks to ever come out of Japan, who need to stop making games before they ruin anotherthe actual Metroid bits of this game work very well, but combined with the horrible plot, flow-breaking first-person elements, and abandonment of the classic Metroid exploration experience leaves this a game a dirty stain on an otherwise relatively untarnished series. I blame Team Ninja, the biggest hacks to ever come out of Japan, who need to stop making games before they ruin another franchise. Expand
  16. Feb 18, 2012
    Not only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in aNot only the first bad Metroid game but worst game I can remember having played, with the worst name I've seen on a video-game. Team Ninja wanted to make Samus more human and failed magnificently. Did their ideas ever include giving her a discernible personality, or dialogue a human might speak? 'Mother... time to go!' A mythology about a lone bounty huntress perpetually wrapped in a space-suit exploring the silent worlds of distant stellar systems millennia in the future and fighting bioforms who have no words to speak to her is not one of the more fertile grounds for melodrama. The characters in Metroid games work exquisitely as silhouettes. The people at Team Ninja took those and painted smiley faces on them.

Example: A despicable opening scene presents a crater of a reenactment of the climax of 'Super Metroid', which most people seem to consider the best final boss encounter yet made, in one of the greatest games yet made. One of the things that made Mother Brain terrifying in the 1994 game was her empty, necrotic eye. She was a paragon of the soulless monstre archetype. In 'Other M', her enormous eye is brought to full, vibrant life. The ravening demoness of the tomb has now been reduced to a big, dumb ogress. The camera is maddening during the cut-scenes. It judders among Galactic Federation troops as they **** their guns in deference to the more wretched of the T.V. action shows, throwing any focus we might have off of the T.V. action show-like plot points currently being given, which in turn would distract us from the innate beauty of the game's atmosphere, if it had any.

Game-play disgraces its predecessors. Nearly all areas are dark and grimy. There is no Earthly reason there should be a Metroid game this bad.
  17. May 10, 2012
    It may be a "fine" game for someone who doesn't care about previous Metroid games but for Metroid fans this is a disgrace. The main focus in this game is a linear story full in stereotypes and cliches. Everything else gets kicked off. Everything that made the franchise what it was is completely absent here. Metroid games are known for several qualities such as:
    -Non linear level design
    -Non linear level design with freedom of movement.
    -Tons of exploration.
    -Creepy atmosphere with superb music and the feeling of isolation.
    -SUBTLETY.

What we get in OtherM is:
    -Linear level design with tons of hand holding and directions. -No freedom of movement and almost no exploration at all.
    -You get your upgrades automatically, you don't even have to search for them.
    -A cliched story and obnoxious characters that lack subtlety. Tons of unskippable cutscenes.
    -Non existent soundtrack. So there you have it folks. If you are a Metroid fan and looking for a Metroid experience just look away and pretend this game does not exist. If you just want to play a simple, linear action game featuring anime tropes and trends, well, i guess OtherM should be a OK game for you.
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    This game was so bad! I don't understand how it has gotten such good reviews from Game review sites like IGN and Gamestop. I loved the design of the game and thought the gameplay was well crafted, with the exception of the first person mode in which you could not move. It was also nice to see a 3D metroid game return to its 2D roots. However, Team Ninja really dropped the ball on the storyThis game was so bad! I don't understand how it has gotten such good reviews from Game review sites like IGN and Gamestop. I loved the design of the game and thought the gameplay was well crafted, with the exception of the first person mode in which you could not move. It was also nice to see a 3D metroid game return to its 2D roots. However, Team Ninja really dropped the ball on the story and character development. Every character was an archetype and the relationships between the characters were boring and cliched. Perhaps is the writing had been better the "twist" at the end of the game would have been at least mildly shocking, and maybe even had the impact on the audience that I think Team Ninja was aiming for. Without spoiling anything, I must also warn that the final boss battle is a bit of a cop-out. The only good that can come from this game, is that hopefully Nintendo will be more careful, with whom it allows to develop its first party IPs. Expand
  19. Mar 8, 2012
    The Other M is so far the worst in its series. They make Samus look like a sissy that needs assistance all the time. They have a stupid item gaining system. They have an mediocre story line that isn't that great. I think they should remove this game from the series and pretend it was a really bad nightmare that Samus had and she'll never think about it ever again.
  20. Apr 19, 2012
    I own all the previous games, and this game is a awful piece of trash compared to any and all of them. The writing is so bad an autistic child could do better, and the woman playing samus delivers her lines like its the most boring thing in the world, and she couldn't care less. The plot is as weak as humanly possible, samus has all her powers from the very beginning but wont use any ofI own all the previous games, and this game is a awful piece of trash compared to any and all of them. The writing is so bad an autistic child could do better, and the woman playing samus delivers her lines like its the most boring thing in the world, and she couldn't care less. The plot is as weak as humanly possible, samus has all her powers from the very beginning but wont use any of them until this guy who isn't her boss any more says she can. its to the point where samus is dieing of exposure to lava, but would rather that than activate the varia suit or even request to use it. Seriously WTF. The game randomly turns into the most hated of all genres, the pixel hunt. Randomly throughout the game the action stops, the view is locked into first person, and the game cannot continue until you randomly click the world around and guess the exact one thing the designer was thinking of. Finally, the gameplay is just awful. Almost all the shooting is done via auto-aim, the main weapon is almost useless except when used for finishers and charged shots. Expand
  21. Nov 4, 2012
    There is one thing game does right and that is gameplay. Aside from the out of place first person moments, this game gives off the same 2D platforming feel of the originals; however, everything else about this game is terrible. For those of you that haven't played this game, be warned, the story is TERRIBLE. Now, most Metroid games have never been known to have great stories, but thisThere is one thing game does right and that is gameplay. Aside from the out of place first person moments, this game gives off the same 2D platforming feel of the originals; however, everything else about this game is terrible. For those of you that haven't played this game, be warned, the story is TERRIBLE. Now, most Metroid games have never been known to have great stories, but this game made story its centerpiece and shoved every cheesy ounce of it down your throat. In addition to the terrible story, the game is short, linear, and never gives off that isolated feeling that fans have grown to love about the previous titles. For the entire game, Samus is accompanied by members of the galactic federation. Rather than discovering new powers, Samus has to receive permission to use them from Adam. All in all, Nintendo really needs to give the franchise back to Retro studios. If Retro can take the gameplay elements of other M and incorporate them into every thing else that makes the Metroid franchise so amazing, we would have the potential for a game better than the Primes. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    Some looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visualSome looked beyond the newfound wetness of Samus Aran's bounty hunting femme fatale, others (like myself) believed Team Ninja had just gone and destroyed the most iconic female protagonist in video game history. What doesn't help is the actual game she's in is a visually flat, uninspiring and very bland corridor themed third person shooter adventure. The game's cutscenes are a visual highlight, if too overlong. Gameplay mechanics are unnecessarily cumbersome and limiting just for the sake of being innovative. The execution of the protagonist's character is very controversial and confusing. Samus behaviour and personality in cut-scenes don't reflect how she behaves in-game. From weeping over a cold, un-charasimatic and intensely dislikable Adam Malkovich to wringing an alien lizard's neck then shoving her arm cannon ruthlessly into it's mouth before blasting it's internals out, it is clear the character development was only half-baked. Boss fights bar one or two are dull. The game is very difficult, as expected from Team Ninja of Ninja Gaiden fame but the game only lasts roughly 10-12 hours on normal difficulty, hard mode a few more. Graphics: 6/10
    Gameplay: 5/10
    Features: 6/10

Hard to recommend with the offensive portrayal of Samus Aran's character and dated attitude towards women...oh yeah did I mention she speaks now? I mean really talks? I mean never actually shuts up now?
  23. Apr 6, 2014
    Metroid: Other M

This game is an absolute failure on all levels and a major insult to any fan who is able to look at this game without being blinded by nostalgia. This game fails on almost every level in terms of gameplay presentation and story. Gameplay Metroid Other M is a complete bastardization of the Metroid-vania sub-genre that the series previous to this game have
    Metroid: Other M

Gameplay

Metroid Other M is a complete bastardization of the Metroid-vania sub-genre that the series previous to this game have established. The game is as linear as games come to the point of being nothing but a shooting gallery rather than an exploration game, in fact there is no exploration of any kind to be found here, no secrets, no backtracking, just a generic overly-simplified combat system strung along linear corridors with doors that lock behind you and a map constantly pointing to the objective as if it was actually possible to get lost. Combat has no depth to it, simply point and shoot until everything in the room is dead. The dodging and Regeneration mechanics also remove any challenge due to how easy they are to use. Pair this with the poorly implemented Wii-mote controls and you hardly have any worthwhile game play.

Story

The story is one of the worst in any game I have ever seen. The game's awfully generic and uninspired story constant contradicts established lore and all characters save for one have terrible motives and personalities. Nowhere is this more apparent than with the main character; Samus Aran who has such a stark and uncanny personality change in comparison to other games that to many including myself it comes of as insulting and to some even sexist. Samus in this game seems to have no common sense, an irrational fear of one particular enemy which makes no scene in the continuity, and an unnatural attachment to the another major character, her for,er commanding officer who she holds in high regard who dispute his cold indifference or even malice behavior toward her. This apparent and quite disturbing infatuation goes so far that it clouds Samus's judgment to the point that she needlessly risks her life to follow his orders. This is made all the more worse since the game is entirely form her point of view, and most of the story is delivered through her bland expository monologues in completely unskippable cut-scenes. The game's terrible writing ends in a terrible ending with no payoff and leaves the series as a whole with a huge number of irreparable plot-holes and a tarnished Main Protagonist. More care should have been taken portraying Samus Aran, who was, until one of the most respected female icons in gaming. To tarnish such an iconic character as Samus by making her a 2 dimensional submissive housewife with Stockholm syndrome without at least making something profound or at least likable out of it is outright shameful and possibly unforgivable for many fans and gamers.

Presentation

As for the rest of this game, the graphics for the most part are tolerable. The Writing and dialogue however are exceptionally bad, barely any care was taken into the localisation of this game. The voice acting was almost all bad, particularly from Samus's voice actor Jessica Martin who was instructed by the game's director Yoshio Sakamoto to talk in a bland monotone. The music and environments are also horribly generic and uninspired which is a shame when compared to every other Metroid game before it. In fact the setting is ripped right out of Metroid Fusion but with less environments. At points the environments actual make no scene, such as a real Active volcano inside of a space station that is supposed to be filled with synthetic environments. All of these things break immersion on a huge scale removing any player investment and any amount of fun which is unforgivable is a series that always put immersion and atmosphere at the forefront of the design.

Conclusion

In short this is not a game worth buying, especially if you are a Metroid Fan. Yoshio Sakamoto and Team Ninja's attempt to give Samus Aran personality has left the both Metroid series and it's protagonist in shambles that it may never recover from due to the low sales. This game is a disappointment to say the least and in my honest opinion, an insult and a crippling to a once great franchise. It makes no sense that this game has received such high scores from professional critics. It would seem that none of them actually gave this game a fair shake either blinded by nostalgia or they failed considered it's lack of merits vs it's stellar line of predecessors. In the years since this game's disastrous release Nintendo has all but ignored the Metroid IP all together, which would suggest that this game has killed the franchise, and to see such an Iconic series with an even more iconic Protagonist die in such as disappointing whimper is quite disheartening.
  24. Aug 31, 2014
    Making Metroid heavily story-based was the first mistake, using a D-pad instead of an analog stick for movement in a 3D environment was the second, and mistakes 3 through 75 involve turning one of gaming's toughest female icons into a shrieking mimsy in a submissive relationship with a dickbag in a fancy hat.
  25. Mar 9, 2014
    While the gameplay might not be too offensive (emphasis on 'too'), the story is so, so, SO INTENSELY AWFUL that it is literally impossible to ignore. Literally, it even messes with the gameplay to the point of being groan-worthy.
  26. Mar 16, 2014
    Whether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, whichWhether being compared to other Metroid games, or on it's own merits, Metroid: Other M has an extensive amount of failures. The biggest of which is using only the Wii remote as it's main control scheme. This not only leads to clunky controls, but shallow action and unnecessary ways to use items as well. You hold the Wii remote sideways, meaning you must control Samus with the D-Pad, which makes the combat incredibly clunky to use. Firing missiles, super missiles, and the grapple beam are all done when in the first person perspective, which requires you to turn the Wii remote and point it at the screen, which will slow down the action considerably. Not only that, but the controls for these segments are terrible, and it really shows when you play a game that does wii-mote pointing right, such as Metroid Prime 3. The combat in the game, while fun at times, has almost no depth and is extremely repetitive. You are limited to only one beam at a time, and even when they do switch, they all handle the same, unlike in other games like the Metroid Prime series. This means you are simply shooting over and over until you get a chance to do a finisher. It feels like a watered down version of Ninja Gaiden that was meant for smartphones. I won't go in-depth with the story, as it won't matter that much since the game is about gameplay, but I will say that it seems like they ripped out the same kind of acting from awful films like The Last Airbender and Twilight and copy-pasted them into this game. This is an even bigger problem because the game constantly shoves unskippable cutscenes in your face that are filled with monotone dialogue from Samus, which completely shoves the immersion that made the other Metroid games so great out of the window. Expand
  27. May 8, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment. It had bland characters, the script was thinner than paper, the characters are very unlikable, and worst of all the combat mechanics are incredibly unfair.
  28. Jul 10, 2014
    An absolute spit in the face to what Metroid is.
    You can look anywhere on the internet to find out why the story is bad and how it fails on nearly every narrative level, but there are way too many apologists saying that "the gameplay is good though."
    Is it? For a generic action title yes, for a Metroid title? No. Aside from the d-pad & simplistic setup being bad for a 3D game, this game
    An absolute spit in the face to what Metroid is.
    Is it? For a generic action title yes, for a Metroid title? No.
    Aside from the d-pad & simplistic setup being bad for a 3D game, this game is just not Metroid.
    Metroid is about exploration, isolation, discovery & puzzles.
    Most of the puzzles boil down to looking around for something in first person view, which isn't really a puzzle.
    Isolation? You're on a ship with other generic 1 dimensional characters, not to mention you're always in contact with Adam, who also doesn't get any meaningful character development despite his history with Samus.
    Exploration & discovery? Sorry none of that here. The map literally shows you where in the room items are, and always has a yellow marker showing you exactly where to go. Doors will lock all the time for the sake of the plot & to hand hold you to your next destination. Yup, this thing is 10x more linear than Fusion.

Aside from the diffusion beam, nothing in this game is new. The setting is a smaller version of Fusion's BSL, and the plot is way too similar as well, except they added more characters & a filed attempt at an emotional narrative that's filled with plot holes. This game chugs along on nostalgia, drawing heavily on concepts from fusion & artwork & design from Super Metroid, just not the best of it.
    Fair enough if you like the game, but DO NOT say it's a good METROID game.
  29. Dec 9, 2014
    I cannot understand how this game is getting such high ratings. It's exactly what people feared Prime would be, a generic action game. The only reason I think this game is getting high ratings is because it looks similar to Super Metroid, in fact, it borrows most aspects except for the item hunting, and Metroidvania exploration. There are so many restrictions in this game, that are not inI cannot understand how this game is getting such high ratings. It's exactly what people feared Prime would be, a generic action game. The only reason I think this game is getting high ratings is because it looks similar to Super Metroid, in fact, it borrows most aspects except for the item hunting, and Metroidvania exploration. There are so many restrictions in this game, that are not in any of the other Metroid games, not even the linear ones. Many doors lock permanently, and areas become inaccessible. I could go on with the problems with the story, and Samus' character, but I think you get the idea. However; if an action game is what you're looking for, you MIGHT want to consider this, because it's the only reason I still have a copy of the game. Expand
  30. Aug 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metroid is one of my most favorite series, so when this was announced I was excited, however this was an extreme disappointment. This game brought it into a 3rd person view with a method to pop into First Person view, however the controls for this are really bad. Pointing the Wii-Mote at the screen is an extremely clunky method of doing this and is one of the 3 problems with the controls. The other Problem with the controls I have are as follows.
    They are using a D-PAD for 3 dimensional movement.
    The other problem with the controls are that to use one of the abilities that you need to use most, the missiles you MUST go into first person to use them.
    The annoying thing about these problems are that they could all be fixed if Team Ninja used the Wii-Nunchuck. Other: M is a game that was meant to go deeper into Samus' backstory and history and to clear up some questions that were created in Metroid Fusion. However this being a story driven game, it is a Abysmal one, the writing is honestly some of the worst in all video games. There is a scene where Samus meets up with Ridley and she goes into a panic attack, this being the 5th time she has killed Ridley, this scene makes little to no sense.
    Samus also finds a specific liking to a Metroid she met on Zebes during Super Metroid, resulting in 50% of the Dialogue being "THE BABY", which drives on my nerves greatly. However the problems with the story don't just go there, they have terrible voice actors too. Samus' voiced by Jessica Martin, was really bad. She has no emotion and she sounds just overall always whiny for such a heroic character as Samus. The gameplay is incredibly simplistic, easy, and generally un-fun for such a fun series as Metroid. Team Ninja put little effort into making anything about the game Challenging, because In the game Samus learns the ability to dodge almost every attack just by pressing a button and mashing any direction on the D-Pad. This is what Kills it for me, this ability basically makes it so that you can no longer take a lick of damage and even if you do, you can Regenerate health whenever you want. Not only that but you can now fire of a Charged Shot after doing a Dodge roll which makes taking out enemies extremely easy. However, things look a little bit in the right direction when Team Ninja spent large amounts of time Making the Aesthetics of the game good, however good Aesthetics does In no way make up for the huge other flaws of this game. So the combat in the game is largely flawed due to, easily spammable abilities. So does this mean the overall flow of the game is bad. Well unlike almost all other Metroid Titles, accept for Fusion, this game is cripplingly linear. It is a straight narrow hallway, which completely kills any Ideas for cool types of runs like in Super Metroid. This is a incredibly bad game Musically too, Super Metroid had some of the best music for a 16 bit system , and this when on the Wii you would expect for a great soundtrack...well this game has only ONE song out of the whole soundtrack. That and there is an extreme lack of music in general with the majority of the game being blank and soundless. Boss battles are uncreative at best with the Final boss extremely flawed, and one boss might as well be a cutscene, because to end it you have to scan a place. Scanning in this game, unlike Metroid Prime which in that game was a fountain of knowledge, this game it is a clunky mechanic where in some scenes you have to scan a logo...or a pixel of...nothingness sometimes wasting hours of your life just questioning what are you supposed to do. Flawed with, bad controls, bad soundtrack bad gameplay, bad combat, and bad story. What did Team Ninja else do wrong. This, being a Metroid title, is supposed to have a large focus on gaining power-ups and items. However the power-up system is illogical, Samus, returning from Super Metroid has everything she had in Super Metroid, however she won't use them because they may harm the Galactic Federation team... according to Adam, which means that Even though Samus has the Varia suit which blocks heat damage, she will not use it because Adam has not allowed her. I would be less annoyed about this if it weren't for 2 times where It really annoys me. First, Samus enters the fire area of the game with out the Varia suit so you think that you will get it in like a minute however. Adam only authorizes the Varia suit at the end of the area during a boss fight. Second, there is a fight with the Queen Metroid where you enter the belly of the beast and are supposed to use a Power Bomb, however Adam has not Authorized it meaning that, you will spend at least 30 minutes until you realize that you can use them with out Authorization from Adam. So what reason could you have for this game, I would avoid this game unless you are either A: A collector or B:A person who only cares about Graphics. This game was a terrible flop for Team Ninja. My final score would be a 2/10.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2010
#5 Most Shared Wii Game of 2010

1. Oct 21, 2010
    Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end– hearing real strings and percussion, occasionally augmented by sci-fi synthesizer, adds a lushness to the soundtrack that Metroid has long deserved.
    Experimental by design. It might not always work, but when it does its an experience hard to forget, wearing the Metroid tag with pride with its head held high.
  3. Team Ninja is not Nintendo. This could be the perfect description for Metroid: Other M, a competent action game that simply lacks the quality and the level of polishing of the "real" Nintendo games.