9.2

1. Jun 28, 2011
    Super Mario World is one of the best 2D platformers of all time, perhaps arguably the BEST. SMW features the best art, level design, music, game design and gameplay of the 16-bit generation. It also further established the direction of Marios art style and theme that would continue to this day. Even the release of New Super Mario Bros Wii released in 2010 which was essentially a copy ofSuper Mario World is one of the best 2D platformers of all time, perhaps arguably the BEST. SMW features the best art, level design, music, game design and gameplay of the 16-bit generation. It also further established the direction of Marios art style and theme that would continue to this day. Even the release of New Super Mario Bros Wii released in 2010 which was essentially a copy of the SMW formula was not better than this masterpiece. SMW is a timeless gem and the first game I will always recommend to those wanting a retro classic of Super Nintendo. Expand
  2. Jul 10, 2012
    What a classic. There is not a single 20 year old game that has aged quite this well. A long, incredibly fun game with tons of replay value: what more could you ask for in a game?
  3. Aug 23, 2010
    Super Mario World. Yeah. The very first SNES game and by far tied in #1 with Chrono Trigger. This game is simply amazing. Best Mario game ever. 96 levels at 300 seconds. Definitly a lot of deaths and practice. But the best.
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    Super Mario World was the launching title for the Super Nintendo, with 16-bit colorful visuals, many levels, secrets to discover and introduced us to Yoshi for the first time. The game also provides unique boss challenges and a catchy soundtrack that will make you hum while you're playing a level. This would have been a perfect 10, but unfortunately I don't have too much nostalgia withSuper Mario World was the launching title for the Super Nintendo, with 16-bit colorful visuals, many levels, secrets to discover and introduced us to Yoshi for the first time. The game also provides unique boss challenges and a catchy soundtrack that will make you hum while you're playing a level. This would have been a perfect 10, but unfortunately I don't have too much nostalgia with this game like I do with Super Mario Bros. 3. Plus there were a couple of tiny nitpicks like the minimal of power-ups or turning back to small Mario when you get hit with a Flower or Cape power-up on. Speaking of Cape Mario, the flying mechanics for it were quite hard to control, which I didn't really care for that power-up that much. Everything else though is well executed, well playable, and well presentable. Super Mario World maybe challenging at times, but no matter what, there's a way to get through the worlds and defeat Bowser once again. It is a must recommend for the Super NES and for the Wii Virtual Console. Expand
  5. Mar 2, 2013
    The first big 2d game, with great music, lots of secrets and a nice variety of levels. I dont see this game ever being dethroned! The revival of 2d platformers has washed out the genre. I dont see the new Wii and Wii U instalments every becoming classics. This game however, will last forever. Would be cool with an "HD" remake that clears up the pixels a bit. It looks fantastic, but peoplesThe first big 2d game, with great music, lots of secrets and a nice variety of levels. I dont see this game ever being dethroned! The revival of 2d platformers has washed out the genre. I dont see the new Wii and Wii U instalments every becoming classics. This game however, will last forever. Would be cool with an "HD" remake that clears up the pixels a bit. It looks fantastic, but peoples TV:s are much bigger now than when it first came out Expand
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever! great soundtrack and graphics, very fun to play with almost endless replay. I never get tired of playing Super Mario World!
  7. May 26, 2011
    96 levels, beautiful 16-bit graphics, and upbeat music, this game ties with Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid as my favorite SNES games. And the best part? Yoshi is introduced!
  8. Aug 31, 2013
    in the 80's super mario bros was amazing, then super mario bros 2 was not as good as the first one, super mario bros 3 was one of the best games ever made, now nintendo wondered, how can they top that, well they did with super mario world on the SNES. Super Mario World Was amazing. So the plot is different from the other games, instead of being in the mushroom kingdom, mario is on ain the 80's super mario bros was amazing, then super mario bros 2 was not as good as the first one, super mario bros 3 was one of the best games ever made, now nintendo wondered, how can they top that, well they did with super mario world on the SNES. Super Mario World Was amazing. So the plot is different from the other games, instead of being in the mushroom kingdom, mario is on a vacation to dinosaur land. This game introduced yoshi to the series and that's great. now the gameplay is like super mario bros 3, just with yoshi and a cape that lets you fly forever as cape mario, I have to say that I think that cape mario is the best power up in a mario game to date. anyway, all elements from the super mario bros series are in this game, like the flying bricks, mushrooms, and flying koopas, but for some reason there are no goombas to be found. and also there's no flagpole, instead you go through these hill like things to clear a level. the graphics, this games graphics are amazing, it's the SNES's 256 colors that make the characters and the game looks so good. and the music is AWSOME these are some of the catchest songs that i have ever heard in a video game. everything about this game is simply amazing, it's one of the best games ever made. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2014
    The best Mario game. Hands Down. Reasons- Art is beautiful, Music is great, controls are solid, you feel like you did something wrong if you died, and the creative level design.
  10. Jan 19, 2015
    I may have been a bit crazy with my New Super Mario Bros review, but for this, I will be serious. This game, is the epitome of everything good in the world.

Pros: Gorgeous 16 bit graphics that hold up perfectly today A brilliant soundtrack that is memorable Precise gameplay Awesome levels Has aged much better than some games This could possibly be the greatest games I have ever

Pros:
    Gorgeous 16 bit graphics that hold up perfectly today
    A brilliant soundtrack that is memorable
    Precise gameplay
    Awesome levels
    Has aged much better than some games

This could possibly be the greatest games I have ever played, I could even say it is the best out of them all! Love this game! So many fond memories.

11. Jun 2, 2014
    This is a great game for every body I love it do much my childhood loooooooveeee it so much I give this a ten nintendo is very great with games and very good
  12. Feb 10, 2015
    Best game ever always love Co-Op mode and beat the game can't remeber not having a good time playing this game loved everything about this game best mario game of all time
  13. Mar 24, 2015
    This game sets up the Mario games of the future for greatness in both level and world design, if you like Mario play this perfect Mario experience along with the great addition of Yoshi and many amazing powerups and game play mechanics.
  14. May 23, 2016
    [Review based on the SNES version of this game] New interesting story, new great visual graphics, new lovable characters, but the same old Mario doesn't just make this game look fantastic to play. It may look silly, but please understand this. Super Mario World bought us an all new world of video games by the heart of the console.
  15. Mar 12, 2017
    Just played this through again. In 2016. And, it's still as fun as ever. There isn't much to say about SMW that hasn't already been said. It's in contention for the greatest 2D platformer of all time. It's challenging, loaded with secrets, has amazing level design and variety, and it will provide hours of fun over and over again as it's worth revisiting every few years.
  16. Dec 9, 2011
    This game has a better engine and mechanics than Mario 3, but the enemies are more spaced out in levels, so it's much more open. This takes away the difficulty that 3 had, not that 3 was hard to begin with, but this one is even easier.
  17. Jan 19, 2017
    Playing the SNES version on New 3ds for the first time. Some small moments of inspiration in an otherwise uninspired game. After playing Super Mario Brothers 3, level design just does not hold up; too simple and repetitive. Controls are slippery and awkward. I can't help but feel all these positive reviews were written by people who played this as kids, and can't see this game for what itPlaying the SNES version on New 3ds for the first time. Some small moments of inspiration in an otherwise uninspired game. After playing Super Mario Brothers 3, level design just does not hold up; too simple and repetitive. Controls are slippery and awkward. I can't help but feel all these positive reviews were written by people who played this as kids, and can't see this game for what it is; a below average platformer. Play SMB3 instead. Expand
  18. Nov 25, 2015
    Super Mario World (SMW) is a 2D platform game released by Nintendo as the launch title for the Super Famicom in November 1990. It became the launch title for the Super NES as it was released around the world in other regions over the next couple of years.
    The game is a direct sequel to Super Mario Bros.3 (SMB3), featuring the 7 Koopalings as bosses that Mario must dispatch as he travels through Dinosaur land to rescue Princess Toadstool from the clutches of Bowser.
    Unfortunately, despite the game having a far, far superior control method (because the SNES joypad is so superior to that of the NES), and featuring better graphics and sound... The game itself is a retrograde step backwards from SMB3. It features far fewer stand-out moments, and every environment feels the same (mainly because backgrounds/foregrounds throughout the game are just palette swaps), giving a real feel of a rushed product.
    The game also features many mechanics within both its level design and the infamous 'Cape Feather' power-up (which allows Mario to fly) that enable the user to just skip over large sections of the levels. This wouldn't be so bad if there were multitudes of secrets (a la SMB3), but there aren't. The bonus games all just offer the gamer a chance to get extra lives, but as the game is so unbelievably easy, other extra lives aren't necessary beyond the ones you stumble upon as the game literally throws them at you!
    The irony is, that despite all this, the intuitive controls and vibrant visuals still mean a lot to me in a nostalgic sense. Having been playing the game for over 23 years (and counting) I'll still fire it up and rattle through all 96 Exits over a few hours, at least once every 12 months.
    However, if I was going to recommend Mario titles from the 16-bit era, I'd suggest Mario All-Stars, and the epically brilliant Yoshi's Island. This game is too easy straight out of the box, and so broken people can speedrun all 96 Exits in about an hour.
  19. Mar 12, 2016
    Mario1 was too simple. Lost Levels was too hard. Mario USA was not a Mario game. Mario3, while a great game, was not the best 2D Mario game. But this, this game is the best 2D platformer ever made. I'm serious, it's that good. The one game modern platformers take inspiration from is this one. Super Mario World is a fantastic game. There's so much you can do in this game, that it's mindMario1 was too simple. Lost Levels was too hard. Mario USA was not a Mario game. Mario3, while a great game, was not the best 2D Mario game. But this, this game is the best 2D platformer ever made. I'm serious, it's that good. The one game modern platformers take inspiration from is this one. Super Mario World is a fantastic game. There's so much you can do in this game, that it's mind blowing! A lot of levels have more than one exit, and finding them all is really fun to do. The soundtrack is amazing, the graphics, while not perfect, still hold up. Mario controls amazingly, (Did I mention that all of the previous games have control problems? No? Well they do.) I recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2012
    I'm sure that if you play this game with the Classic Controller or in the SNES, you will have zero problems with the gameplay. However, dare you use the GameCube controller, your hand will get tired really quickly thanks to the awkward control scheme. If you download this masterpiece through the Virtual Console, be sure to buy a Classic Controller Pro. Minor complaint aside, great game.
  21. May 23, 2012
    Even though this is an old SNES game its still as enjoyable as it was back in the day. I might be influencede by nostalgia but I think this game is great. Beating all the levels and finding the secret passages in this sidescroller is still amusing. Well worth getting!
  22. May 27, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece classic.
  23. May 14, 2013
    This game is outstanding! it used to be my favorite 2d mario game but after replaying the game i had tons of frustrating experiences with it. but still please pick this game up you won't regret it.
  24. Sep 24, 2016
    This game has the best music, best level design, and best control of any Mario game. The game is perfect in every single aspect imaginable. This game has a ton of replay value and will make you coming back for more.
  25. JPK
    Aug 19, 2018
    Another Mario Masterpiece
    Super Mario World Was The First Game I Ever Played.
  26. Jan 13, 2018
    Super Mario World was so great I didn't realize that I played it for 3 hours straight! That is how great and addicting this game is!
  27. Aug 30, 2017
    One of the best Mario games, if not the best, and one of the best games ever made. Top notch music, enemy variation, character designs and varied boss battles and levels. Play this game
  28. Nov 2, 2017
    Fun and crazy. one of the best mario game made! if you like mario you will love this game. Also bowers looks his best in this game compared to mario bros 1-3
  29. Nov 1, 2017
    Only that auto-scrolling cavern near the beginning sticks in my crawl. Rest of the game is pure gold. It's colorful, it's charming, it's beautiful and peaceful to look at. All the hidden stages to unlock give it tons of replayability. And the game has dolphins! Super Mario World gets my vote for best 2D Mario game.
  30. Jan 4, 2018
    (I played the 3DS version, but the same could be said for the Wii version.)

I mean, this is Mario! You cant screw up Mario! With many levels, and Yoshi's first appearance in a plat former, you cant go wrong to add this to your game library.
  31. Jun 7, 2018
    I never beat this on the original SNES. I have the SNES Classic mini and I finally beat this game and WOW! I have never felt so accomplished. Defeating Bowser at the end was just an emotional roller coaster and I loved it. This game is awesome. This might be the best Mario game ever made, but I still love Mario 64 the best!!!!
  32. Jun 4, 2018
    even better than odyssey, the very many creative worlds, feels fantastic to control, beautiful graphics, first game to have yoshi, when I play this game I am ready to have a smile on my face for 1 hour, true odyssey did it but it didn't do it with the amount of excitement and creative level design, I strongly recommend buying a SNES classic
  33. Jul 25, 2018
    My favourite of the series, so Im not gonna write a review since it would be heavily biased. Along with Super mario 3 the best of the best...
  34. Jul 18, 2018
    Even though it didn't push the SNES graphical capabilities to their fullest extent, Super Mario World perfected the 2D Mario formula with fun power-ups, superb level design, and more secrets than any platformer that was out at the time.

There are no critic reviews yet.